Fresh Squeezed IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Fresh Squeezed IPAFresh Squeezed IPA

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: ccrida on 12-31-2009

This mouthwateringly delicious IPA gets its flavor from a heavy helping of Citra and Mosaic hops. Don't worry, no fruit was harmed in the making of this beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fresh Squeezed IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,851 | Reviews: 577

Not my type of bet not a fan

1.38/5  rDev -67.5%

One of the worst IPAs I've had in a long time...citra and mosaic? Where? It's all malt...no carbonation...sweet, not hoppy...don't let the hop bill trick you.

1.8/5  rDev -57.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Best by 06/2015 and it is almost April. The one bottle I got had to be way past its prime. Almost no hop aroma or taste. Tasted just like an amber ale. I am sure this beer is much better fresh but not the one I got.

2.63/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. purchased purchased at Joe's Liquors in Iowa City, IA; unknown brewing/bottling date; poured into my Toppling Goliath chalice glass; drank over 30 minutes

2.68/5  rDev -36.9%

Bought a growler blind from the high review. Man was I disappointed. No hope, poor malt bill, unpleasant bitterness not from hops. Yuck. Terrible aroma, look is too dark. Does not taste like an IPA, tastes like a small brewery APA that is subpar. How disappointing. Hope that this growler maybe was just off, but it came from a very reliable source in DC.

2.72/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This was a major disappointment for me. Maybe I had a bottle with too much (best by date in 6 weeks) age. There was no distinct flavor....it was just meh.

2.72/5  rDev -36%

Really don't care for IPAs, and as such wouldn't have tried this beer but for the brewery's facebook page. After conversation with someone at the brewery, I told them I don't like the flavor of pine, they suggested this beer. Said hoppy, but no pine. And there it is pine flavor.

2.76/5  rDev -35.1%

Went to the public house on a beautiful Portland summer evening for BB XXIII. Oooh, Fresh Squeezed is on to. I remember how great that was last year, we should get that too. Wait what? What happened to this beer? Last year it was a citrus delight, this year not so much. Still a beautiful, burnt orange color. The nose has a touch of citrus, but I'm also getting a musty note that is unpleasant. The taste is a bomb. Like dissolved aspirin with a malt backbone. Those aren't citra hops as I know them.

2.79/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Fresh Squeeze was the best beer on tap.

2.86/5  rDev -32.7%

Very appropriately named. It does taste like a glass of fresh grapefruit juice. Very citrus feel to it. Nice clean refreshing taste great summer brew. Not a favorite of mine but I applaud something different.
These guys don't miss
apricot color. Average carbonation. Subtle aroma. The flavor is where this stands out. I love fresh hop brew so I came in with a different mind set would not seek out but I appreciate

2.93/5  rDev -31.1%

My cool bartender offered up a free sample of this at the Deschutes Portland brewpub. 4 oz. served in a taster on November 28th, 2012.

A - Medium golden, good clarity, thin eggshell head

S - I'm actually blind tasting this. The aroma is dominated by a sparkly orange juice - this is obviously Citra. Lightly tropical, with just a bit of pineapple. No malt backing present.

T - Oranges really pour through, and it's pretty single note. I pull light pine at the back-end as well.

M - Thin body, fine carbonation, semi-sweet finish.

D - This is like a less complex, sweeter version of Zombie Dust. I hear they'll be bottling it next year using a different hop profile, which is probably stupid because that will completely change this beer.

Another American ipa that's just not my style. I prefer the west coast ipas. But if you like malty piney resin with a bite this one's for you

Its too sweet in my opinion

Toffee bomb, would never guess Citra and Mosiac. Translucent amber hue with an inch of off white head. Minimal lacing. Nose is very malt heavy with a hint of caramel. Taste follows suit with a sweet and slightly bitter finish. Medium carbonation, with a creamy mouthfeel. Reminds me of an English ale. Not the tropical grapefruit bomb I was expecting. It you put it in from of me and told me it was a young bottle of Boston Lager, I'd believe you.

3.03/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I have to say I was really looking forward to trying this as I have seen the reviews and they are quite impressive.

L-pours an amber color with a decent head that quickly turns to...nothing.

S-HARD pressed to smell anything...ut oh...this is concerning.

T-??? Where is the fruity hop goodness everyone talks about? Really trying to like this but failing to do so.

F-one of the better attributes of this beer. Carbonation is nice and smooth.

O-I have to say, I just don't get it. Hard to find any hop smell or taste. Bad bottle? Not sure but I have 5 more bottles to finish and I am not that eager to dive into them. A decent beer but SO MANY better options. I would take NWPA or Chasin Freshies anyday over this.

Best by 7/19/14.

Appearance: Deep caramel color with brilliant clarity. Half a finger of off-white suds. Some lacing already developing from the dissipating head.

Aroma: Definitely some Citra in there lending mango to the aroma. Not much else though.

Taste: Starts with some caramel malt flavor and light bitterness. The bitterness quickly escalates but never becomes harsh or unwanted. The hop flavor covers a spectrum from mango to earthy. I'm not sure why the color is so dark on this beer because there is nothing in the flavor that suggests amber or red malts. Finish and aftertaste result in a last burst of bitterness that slowly ebbs away.

Mouthfeel: About medium in body with average drinkability and unremarkable carbonation.

Final Thoughts: Just not really feeling this one. Citra hops, when used correctly, can yield outstanding results but Fresh Squeezed seems like more of a homebrewer's first time making an IPA. Would I drink it again? Unlikely.

3.11/5  rDev -26.8%

I'm a big fan of Deschutes Brewery with a particular liking of their porters and stouts. While on vacation I picked up a six of Fresh Squeezed. My expectations were pretty high based on other reviews. I have to say that I was underwhelmed. The color is a unique orange color and the beer pours with a nice foamy head, but the taste seems strange to me. It really has an orange citrus flavor (I know, no fruit was harmed) that seems unnatural. The only bad comparison is Magic Hat #9 with a strange apricot taste. Same for this beer but with orange. It just hits me wrong. I thought it might be that my palette was off but after 3 bottles I still feel the same way. I give it a mediocre review.

Had this beer again on tap to see if I was missing something. Nope, still tastes the same way to me.

3.11/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Way too much wheat flavor and sweetness for an IPA. The hops are just barely there.

3.22/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tastes just as hoppy as any other IPA you've ever had, but somehow doesn't overpower. A beautiful amber hue that's just mildly cloudy.

3.23/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Look was a bit darker than I was expecting and crystal clear
Smell was less citrus/fruity than I was expecting
Taste was more bitter than I was expecting
Feel was as expected!
Overall more of a bitter "west coast" style IPA. I was expecting more of a citrusy/tropical experience. It's a good IPA, again just not what I was expecting.

3.24/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Best by 15OCT13

Amber with a solid light cream sheet. Smells like tropical and citrus fruits with a bit of body odor and some cotton candy. Flavor is sweet with rich caramelized malts and some straight sugar, some lemons, some onion. Medium on heavy feeling with a sharp, moderate carb and a moderately dry finish. An okay beer, not impressive really.

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dark amber with a distinct reddish tint to it. Tall tan colored head.

Smells hoppy and herbal woody with a cedar wood scent. Lesser grapefruit scent. Strange this has a distinct scent of peaches.

Starts out dry and with the taste of peach. Stays woody and dry.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall just an OK IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Oily, resinous mouthfeel more like a double IPA. less hops than I was expecting, some floral notes, a little bitter on the end but I thought it was pretty standard.

3.29/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Tasted a bit like a shandy. Good light beach beer.

3.29/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dark blood red brew with lasting cream colored foamy head. Lacing is well done!

Earthy and dirty. Bready, like woody pine, not resinous.

Light, coating, very light pine flavors, apricot, red apple, crisp, dry, bready, missing much bitterness, medium carbonation, low sweetness. Iced tea flavors, needs more aggressive hops.

There's no way this brew will hold up until 10/08/13 as stated on the label...It's decent now, but tastes like it's falling fast... Worthy, but not to seek. What's going on with Deschutes brews? They have the ability to lead the industry, but they need to step up the hopping program.

Fresh Squeezed IPA from Deschutes Brewery