Fresh Squeezed IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Fresh Squeezed IPAFresh Squeezed IPA

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: ccrida on 12-31-2009

This mouthwateringly delicious IPA gets its flavor from a heavy helping of Citra and Mosaic hops. Don't worry, no fruit was harmed in the making of this beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fresh Squeezed IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 542 | Hads: 4,245
4.41/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a burnt orange amber color with a nice frothy white head. Smell is an amazing hoppy fruit bomb. Scents of grapefruit, mango, orange and possibly a slight bit of melon burst from this beer. Taste is much the same with a hint of sweet malts to balance out the bitterness. Feel is medium and the hop flavors literally dance on your tongue. Overall this is a great IPA and just makes me even more disappointed that Deschutes isnt available in my area.

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into an IPA glass. Burnt orange color with an off-white head. Age is unknown but the "best by" date is 2 weeks away, so relatively old. Even so, the beer had a nice aroma full of citrus and some sweet caramel malt. The taste was as billed: juicy grapefruit/orange with some berry flavor backed up with a balanced malt backbone. Clean finish. I could drink this all day.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Probably one of the best IPAs that is easy to get. Great fresh fruity flavor and smell. Bitterness builds slightly while drinking but nothing overwhelming. Great beer.

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%

Served from tap in a pint glass at Stub & Herbs in Minneapolis.

A= On the red side of amber, foamy white head, lacing clings to the side of the glass.

S= Citrus and faint tropical notes over a sweet malty background.

T= Tropical halts and sweet malt. Fruity, citrus and berry like characteristics.

M=Medium body and lighter side of moderate carbonation level.

O= Very good, lots of nice hop aroma, the malt sweetness may have been a little to much and doesn't quite balance out with the bitterness and hop flavors.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap, pint glass.

Appearance: Deep coppery, orange with off white persistent head. Clear. Nice lacing.
Aroma: Intense, wonderfully fragrant aroma of fruity hops with faint background maltiness. Neutral yeast character.
Flavor: Much like the aroma, only less intense. Moderate hop bitterness, followed by a rounded, fruity middle. Tropical fruit flavors, berries. Much as you would expect from Citra and Mosaic hops. The fruity hops seem to accentuate some of the malty sweetness.
Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium body. Would prefer if it finished just a little drier.
Overall: Well balanced IPA that would be even more perfect if it finished a bit drier. Maybe a touch too much crystal malt for my taste, but certainly an outstanding beer.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

''a juicy, citrus and grapefruit profile'''. the quote from the bottle holds true, the citrus/grapefruit flavor is a nice change of pace from most ipa's. it gives it a nice sweet flavor to compliment the paleness.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Fruit punch meets beer.

ruby red with orange accents, nice foam head with better lacing.

Tropical fruit punch...honestly nothing else is to be said here.

The nose leads right to the flavor. Fruit punch, sweet pineapple, Carmel malts, passion fruit and hop crisp bitterness.

Great tasty beer! I could write more as this is complex beer but a classic of modern beer.

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%

Fairly clear medium copper color with nice head, decent head and lacing. Nice citrusy piney aroma. Hop-forward flavor with nice balance. The more you drink, the more assertive the finishing bitterness becomes.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle. I could find no freshness/bottling date info. pours nice glowing shade of darker honey amber. Fine bubble nice looking head, film, collar and sheeting.

Grapefruit on the nose...

Heavy grapefruit, ripe fruits, and moderate drying hops in the finish. Delicious stuff

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm not a huge IPA fan, but I love this one! Fresh tasting, nicely balanced bitterness and not too heavy or syrupy like some IPA's can be. Great daily drinker.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle, served in an oversized snifter.

Amber-orange and slightly filtered body with a bubbly white head. Leaves just a little, but pretty, lacing.

Smells glorious. Warm malt follows citrus and tropical fruit aromas.

This beer isn't overly bitter. Rather, it's refreshing and really well balanced.

This beer drinks good straight out of the fridge and a bit warmed up. I think this would be a great daily drinker, love this.

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm not a massive hophead, but I sometimes get in the mood for a hoppy one. The mrs. is a big hop fan, so I had a sip from her pint of Fresh Squeezed IPA from a tap. Really liked it and the next day we were in the pub I had to order my own. One of the best in my limited experience with IPAs. Very full rich array of hop flavors. Unexpected as I have been dissapointed by some Deschutes offerings particuarly their stout which to me had a very bland dumbed down flavor. This IPA is the complete opposite, quite interesting and complex.

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Best by date: 11/19/15

I really wanted to like this beer but something about this is off. This is the second time trying it. Both times I tried this, I purchased from a Utah State liquor store. I hope its due to poor storage practices that affected this beer (no refrigeration). I imagine this beer is truly outstanding fresh but with living in Utah, I have no excess to this. Damn you Utah laws.

Color - amber in color with some head.

Smell: some citrus but not much to pick up unfortunately.

Taste: doesn't taste "fresh." Its like drinking a stale IPA - there is nothing to pick out from the hops. Taste like some generic IPA where you get malt and the bitterness from the hops. Maybe a little bit of earthiness but not much.

Mouthfeel: it's not bad. While cold, it's refreshing.

Overall: I put this blame on the shitty state of Utah and their beer practices. I've tried this beer twice and have been disappointed twice. I find this surprising considering the high ratings. I guess, when I'm in another state where its refrigerated, I'll pick one up. Otherwise it just might be one of those beers that I'm not a fan off.

Every once in a while when my wife and I have had this on tap, the citra has been more muted than usual. In those instances, it's still a really good beer, but not world-class.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass. 12 oz bottle poured to 1 to 2 inch light tan head. Citrus pine smell. Wonderful IPA bitter hop aftertaste. Seems well balanced. Very nice lacing on glass. Will purchase again.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: Two fingers of off-white head. Gorgeous ruby in color. Nice lacing and fairly active carbonation.

Smell: Grapefruit and grass. Floral

Taste: More of the same. Crisp citrus zest. Juicy Grapefruit. Mild bitter finish. Extremely well balanced.

Feel: A little soapy. Good carbonation.

Overall: Great IPA. Good price. Seek this one out.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a rich deep gold with three finger head that slowly laced the tulip as it dissipated. Grainy aroma some citrus and pine. Tastes very juicy, sweet and bitter...yum. IPA heavenly,,, very refreshing.

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Deschutes Brewery Fresh Squeezed IPA. 6.4% abv. Picked up a single at Trader Joe’s for $1.67.

A: dark amber, white head leaves lacing.

S: sugary, grainy, piney, almost with a soy sauce like background to the smell.

T: dark slightly bitter malt, lupulin hops, sort of a bitter citrus peel like flavour on the back of the tongue.

M: leaves a bitter aftertaste but not that syrupy malty, slightly thinner. Refreshing.

O: Not what I expected. I thought I had this on draft once before and it was way different, it tasted very floral. Weird because the bottle isn’t expired until October. This is more in line with what I’ve had before from Deschutes which was OK beer but not great, like there is just something about all their beers that I don’t go for, I think it may be something about their malts? I don’t know.

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have been wanting to try this beer ever since I first heard of it. I was not disappointed. The highlight of this beer is definitely the citrus aroma's. There is a definite grapefruit or orange component to the hop profile here. The mosaic hops add a little cat urine to the mix. This is an extremely refreshing beer on a hot summer day. There is a sweetness aspect to this that seems to distract me but overall I am very pleased with this offering. Even my wife who is not normally a fan of beers with a strong hop profile liked this one. I will make this a regular purchase over the summer. It was very refreshing. I would recommend this highly.

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasted along side a grapefruit sculpin, and loved both...but so different. This is a much maltier angle on a big IPA. Nose is fruity and floral with citrus and some malt, but is muted compared to some other big IPAs. Flavor is huge, with sweet juicy fruit gum and malt goodness. Straight up delicious and juicy. A great choice for a different style and hop combo compared to other IPAs.

3.29/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Was surprised to see this rated as world class. Best by 10/16/15
L - good look, darker Amber
S - malt, struggling to find hops
T - more hops in the taste, maybe enough to call it IPA but just barely
F - watery
O - Maybe it sat warm too long or something. Not world class in my mind.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I can count on one hand how many months I've been in the craft beer scene, but this seems like the epitome of west coast IPA. Fruity and floral it's a great IPA I will buy more off. I'm not a big deschutes fan, but this is my fave beer from them. 12 oz bottle poured into pub pint glass

A- A deep, clear, rich, amber/copper color with a good head that left a small white cap til the end with great lacing

S- Fruity and floral nose

T- Same as nose with a good malt balancing out bitterness so you get more flavor than bitter. Love the combo of mosaic and citra

M- Somewhat thin, again haven't been in the craft beers long, but it's not as heavy as some and milder carbonation.

O- A very solid go to IPA, definitely a new fave and good credit to deschutes, who I previously thought was overrated. Will buy again

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I don't much care for anything else that Deschutes has ever made...especially their IPAs. This beer, however, is absolutely epic. Usually in my fridge. One of my top 5 IPAs. I won't reiterate what it looks or tastes like. If you get the chance to look at one, you should taste it. If you're an IPA fan, you're highly likely to love this beer.

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

This is one heck of an IPA.

A fruity hop bomb that is incredibly pleasurable to drink. The only thing keeping this from perfection is the slightly thin mouth feel, a bit more resin and this becomes a perfect beer.

2.46/5  rDev -41.1%

Maybe the biggest IPA disappointment I've ever come across - it goes to show you can't listen to what you read online. HEAVY malt bomb, discordant with the bitterness. A hot mess.

Fresh Squeezed IPA from Deschutes Brewery