Cinder Cone Red - Deschutes Brewery

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Available: January 2010 only in Oregon, Western Washington and Hawaii
Alc. by Vol.: 5.4%
IBUs: 55

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 10-07-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cinder Cone Red Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -61.5%

WotanMitUns, Apr 24, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

MonkeyBread, May 03, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

DarthKostrizer, Jun 26, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

Dark copper color. Wispy white topping of suspended particles clung together. Subtle nose of caramel malt and slightly lemony/citrusy Amarillo and spicy Tettnang. Taste begins by illustrating the caramel malts initially, then levels off and begins to develop a touch of roast on the finish. Meanwhile, the hops seem to be unusually mellow. I’ll be honest and say that I don’t like this at all. The malt flavor is very amateurish (and yes, I am aware that I am speaking of Deschutes here), almost like beginner homebrew and the Amarillo and Tettnang combination needs to either be amped up substancially or switched out for hops more powerful and more fitting for the style, like Centennial or Chinook.

Crosling, Mar 25, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured a clear reddish copper with a creamy head. A tremendous amount of lacing all over the glass.

Nose predominantly hoppy and piney with a trace of grain alcohol. Crisp mouthfeel with ample carbonation.

Taste is quite hoppy with long lingering piney, resinous bitterness. Minimal malt sweetness in this one. Alcohols quite prominent late, which is surprising for a relatively low ABV offering. Bitterness really overwhelms without an adequate counterbalancing malt profile.

I was a bit disappointed by this one, given Deschutes other offerings, which are often spectacular. A bit unbalanced - not my favorite amber ale.

mghotbi, Apr 10, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -24.4%

Deschutes is one of my favorite staple breweries but this selection was not for me. Pours a gorgeous amber/rust river red with a nice tan head that dissapates into the glass. Lacing is great, frothy foam will stick to the glass as you partake in this creation. The smell is very wildernessy/trees/pines, very earthy. Rear has hints of cherries and citrus. A nice spice kick is there as well. The taste is bitter, not the bitter I like (trust me I like bitter IPA's, just didn't do it. The forest pine hints are here in the taste, a little to earthy for my tastes. A dry tone just wasn't what I wanted. Alcohol is detected in the rear of the sip. A medium bodied dry ale that while many will love I'm sure, just wasn't what I was looking for on this particular day.

beertaster13, Jun 27, 2004

ONovoMexicano, Sep 09, 2014

Jmccarthy555, Sep 06, 2014

neckbeered, May 12, 2014

aarontaylor777, Jul 12, 2014

craigreno, May 17, 2014
3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

This one probably didn't receive due justice because of the medium served. Tried this at Hops On Equinox 06 and served in a 6oz pilsner sampler.
Red Amber in color and 1/4" head.

Nose- of a mild hoppiness.

Taste- almost pine nutty, similar to, yes pine nuts but probably just the hops. The later taste of burnt wood, almost charred.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light.

Yes I would recommend this as a casual drinker on a nice summer afternoon.

Elbows Up,
Adam

bodybyadam, May 22, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

On draught at the Portland Public House in an imperial pint, Cinder Cone is a dark, hazy amber with small, tight off-white head.

Smell is light (served cold), grassy, herbal hops, bit of malt as it warms.

Taste is lightly toasted malt, caramel, some plasticy phenols and minty hop bite with a bitter finish. The one is too astringent for my taste.

Mouthfeel is crisp, with a medium body.

Drinkability is average for me, it was just too bitter and grainy. I like me ambers with a sweeter, richer malt backbone and more hop flavor and aroma.

ccrida, May 24, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

When I stopped by the Deschutes booth at the recent Big Beers festival in Vail, the brewery rep mentioned that their upcoming seasonal--Cinder Cone Red--just didn't sell very well. I realized that I had never had it and figured I would do my part to give their sales a boost.

This beer is amber to light brown in color with a small head that dissipates and lingers as a thin layer above the brew. It's citrusy smell is its best attribute--the bouquet has a nice mix of fruit and bread. Unfortunately, the rest of this beer is ho-hum. It shows a gentle and well-balanced malt-hop mix in the flavor that is so restrained that it almost comes across as flavorless; the juicy bite at the end is quite welcome. At least it's not offensive.

Deschutes makes many better beers than this one, and there are plenty of other, better ambers on the market. Maybe this one doesn't jump off the shelves for a reason.

benito, Jan 20, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

I really enjoy the Deschutes beers so I thought I would give this one a try. The orange color and creamy head look good so far. I can’t smell much but my sense of smell has been shot for a couple weeks so, whatever. The taste reminds me of a more subdued Hop Trip. I loved the Hop Trip but this one seems like a watered down version but then again, what do I know? Very sessionable due to the low alcohol and easy-going taste. Not bad, but I prefer the Hop Trip.

ArrogantB, Feb 16, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -19.7%

While it poured an amber with red hues with little foam and very little lace, the smell was of hops and malts. The taste was of malts and hop's with a hint of a citrus nature. Although a bitter dry finish, it was a nice red ale. But, a little like "Mirror Pond Ale", but not as bitter.

BeerManDan, Jun 29, 2003
3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

This brew pours a nice redish brown and holds a middling beige head. The nose is fairly basic of mild malts and some fruity hops. The taste is light but well balanced. It is definately malt dominant. Average body goes down fine. A good, but over priced, session beer from Deschutes.

rye726, Jul 07, 2008

atlbravsrno1, Aug 25, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours copper with a fading head.
Nose shows sweet malt, pine, cardboard-like oxidised malt notes.
Flavours include citrus and sweet slightly richer malt. Again, seems a little oxidised.
Carbonation is too high.

CrazyDavros, Aug 28, 2014

BeerNW, Aug 15, 2014

Donkster46, Aug 12, 2014

bvermilion, Jun 09, 2014

dwtyler, Apr 16, 2014

Copernicus, Apr 14, 2014
3.33/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

TheSixthRing pretty much nailed it, this is the 4th Red ale I have tried and it is not near as good as the first three so it just didn't fire on all cylinders. If there is a better choice why buy this one? That being said it is still a good beer and since we are short on those in Texas I would advise the Brewery to ship it all there and they will sell every last drop they can produce.

ssteakley, Apr 18, 2014