Chainbreaker White IPA - Deschutes Brewery

good

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Belgian IPA |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: HuskyinPDX on 05-11-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chainbreaker White IPA Alström Bros

jordanmckell, Sep 30, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +9%

A-Translucent bright yellow, some carbonation, one finger head with some lacing.

S-Lots of spice, too much spice actually, orange, lemon, grass, some citrus hops but the spice is overpowering.

T-Spice, grass floral notes, orange and lemon with some bitterness.

M-Medium bodied, well carbonated.

O-A nice White IPA, the bitterness is there and the blend of orange and lemon is nice.

rlee1390, Sep 30, 2012
3.65/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Clear neon yellow with some visible carbonation. White fizzy head that seems to be sticking around.

Aroma: Sweet hop notes and some crystal malt.

Taste: As advertised, a hoppy belgian style beer. You get the banana, pear, and apple flavors of a typical belgian beer with an added hop character that is careful not to get in the way of all the belgian complexity (not that it's super complex). Finishes crisp.

Mouthfeel: Slightly higher effervescence than the average IPA and medium bodied (but a little syrupy). Decently refreshing and easy drinking.

Final Thoughts: On the one hand I'm not a huge fan of Belgian Ales, and on the other hand I'm a huge fan of IPAs. Chainbreaker White IPA presents a rare case where a negative and a positive put together make a positive. Not bad, Deschutes.

JamesMN, Sep 30, 2012

KegsAndEggs, Sep 29, 2012

Hardcore, Sep 28, 2012

Kam, Sep 28, 2012

tizride, Sep 22, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

MrJolly, Sep 20, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

"White IPA?", when I saw the 6-pack. I immediately surmised it must be a wheat base - and so it was. While not a lover of wheat beers I was intrigued enough to pick it up because a friend who was a wheat beer fan was coming over to help me dig a 20" deep trench 25' feet thru my backyard to replace wiring to the garage.

The lower score I give will reflect my bias against wheat beer - too "sweet-sour, Belgianish" for my taste - but I will be honest for the style. All of the bellringers that set the mark of good wheat beer (look, mouthfeel and all that) were there. Yet my main complaint here is, "Where's the hops?!" - after all it is supposed to be an IPA. I expect some hop kick/slap here - but got none.

My wheat beer friend liked a lot - but this was after 3 hours of digging a trench - so take that with a grain of salt. I've only had two wheat beers that surprised me pleasantly - this is average and I don't see any reason for it to have the IPA moniker.

GoldHorde, Sep 19, 2012

ryanpj, Sep 18, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

S-Bottles finally arrived here in Kansa City, Deschutes did a joint effort WHite IPA with Boulevard a year ago. I was hoping for a close copy... it's fairly close.
A-Great white head, good lacing, a bit too clear for an IPA
S-Floral, citrus, your can smell the Belgium component
T-Solid, I love this style and there are very few options. I'll keep this one stocked in the fridge.
M-A bit too clean, needs a bit more feel here, others might like the lightness.
O-One of my favorite styles, I have been waiting for this one to show up. It doesn't blow my socks off but it doesn't blow my wallet out either. I would recommend fans of this style go after this one.

Flatlands, Sep 18, 2012

M27, Sep 17, 2012

ChopsMeister, Sep 16, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Poured out a cloudy, hazy light yellow color with one and a half fingers of craggy white head which lasts for a few minutes, leaving behind minimal lacing. Light body, hearty carbonation.

Smells and tastes of lemon and orange peel, coriander, white pepper, and just a touch of clove / banana with a heavy aspirin sort of bitterness in the finish. It's... kind of middle of the road for my tastes. I've seen this idea done with more complexity and better balance than this before.

WastingFreetime, Sep 15, 2012

BeerOps, Sep 14, 2012

SocalKicks, Sep 13, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a lightly hazy chalky lemon yellow with a huge, billowing, bright white head. Head slowly collapsed into a rocky film leaving chunks of lacing down the glass.
S: Lemon hops, chalky Belgian yeast and peppery spices.
T: Follows the nose with notes of lemon, pepper, Belgian yeast, chalky doughy malts, and hints of wheat and coriander. Finish is rather sweet, and the aftertaste is lightly spicy.
M: Fluffy and creamy mouthfeel, medium-full body, with airy carbonation. Juicy and wet.
O: A perfect six pack Belgian IPA. Nothing too strong but it drinks very well. Worth a shot.

scottfrie, Sep 12, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz. bottle, best by 12/14/12,

A: Pours a cloudy light gold, looks like a witbier. Big frothy white head, limited lace.

S: Coriander and orange, grassy hops.

T: Good upfront spice flavour, lots of coriander. Earthy hops with some grapefruit. A nice balance with flavours.

M: Medium-bodied, crisp, juicy, nice aftertaste.

O: White IPAs are one of my new favourite up and coming styles and it seems Deschutes has pioneered this. Like a mini Conflux No. 2, real good flavours, great price, I like it.

Halcyondays, Sep 11, 2012

snowcrashed54, Sep 11, 2012

herman77, Sep 10, 2012

grubefresh, Sep 10, 2012

Beercounter1, Sep 10, 2012

2neardead, Sep 10, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

Stoked to see the corner store stocking a deschutes I hadn't tried. Overall an enjoyable light easy drinking beer with a good bit of flavor. I wasn't sure what to expect from the term "white ipa" but it reminds me a lot of a hefe. IPA+deschutes had me thinkin something more hoppy but after switching my mindset I started to enjoy it.

A- Light yellow, bit o cloudy
S- Sweet Plantains and lemons
T- Bitter sweet, hoppy 7UP minus sugar
M- Lightish, like water down a window

Not the beer I thought I was buying but probably would be excellent if I was sitting in the sun.

seagullbeer, Sep 07, 2012