Black Butte XXIII - Deschutes Brewery

Black Butte XXIIIBlack Butte XXIII

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  10.80% ABV

XXIII. So where to next? What's 2011's rich, imperial take on Black Butte Porter? Just for kicks, you dream. Orange zest perhaps? From Spanish Oranges. Seville, to be exact. And Chocolate nibs. Pampered nibs from the artisanal alchemists at Theo. Maybe some chilies? Pasilla Negra only, please. That would be crazy wouldn't it? Welcome to crazy. Get it while you can.

Info from brewery: "475 barrels were produced. 275 were bottled and the remaining 200 were put into kegs."

(Beer added by: jdense on 06-17-2011)
View: Beers (132) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle shared by mdfb79. Thanks Dan!

The beer is dark brown, with 1/4" of light tan head and some random lacing left on the glass.

The aroma brings roasted malt, chocolate, alcohol, and oddly enough, a spicy flavor I was not expecting. Zesty citrus and/ or chiles?

The flavor consists of dark chocolates, roast, and an orange peel flavor that was not present in Black Butte XX or XXI. Similar to a dark chocolate candy bar with orange or orange peel. While this is interesting, I definitely prefer the previous anniversary editions from Deschutes.

Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. Decent feel.

Overall, I much prefer the Black Butte XX and XXI to this year's offering.

07-12-2011 02:10:00 | More by Huhzubendah
unseenbyyou

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

I was able to "step up my game" and find two of these bottles at Ramirez Liquor in East LA (on my birthday!)
Had to have one the next day, and have one more waiting for the best after date on the bottle.

Drank out of a snifter, temperature outside was about 83 degrees..which I assume that my beer was around 70 once I started drinking it.

Impressions:
It does not look like a porter, looked through the bottom of the glass and up, noticed an amber, bourbonish color, little carbonation, little head. I recall that XXI was much darker than this beer.

Smells of coffee, chocolate, whisky, and sugar. A nice wooodsy smell too.

The taste was a bit strong at first, can tell that the complex flavors need more time to mellow and even out (will be close to a 5 once it smooths out. And by complex I mean the hint of pepper, the chocolate, the coffee...it's all there..the bourbon too...just needs time to meld better.

Mouthfeel...again, needs to smooth out a little more. Had a liquor kick at the end that I wasn't expecting. The XXI was as smooth a beer as I could have tasted.

Overall: I am expecting that this one will age better than XXI since there is a wider range of flavors at work in this bottle. But again, XXI was a great beer!

I mentioned to my bro in law that the beer is more like a barleywine rather than a porter...had a barleywine characteristic to it.
Another great effort by Deschutes!

07-11-2011 23:27:57 | More by unseenbyyou
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Dark brown, ruby edge to it, small tan head, what head there is, leaves a sticky smattering of lace all around the glass. Aroma was nice and mild, coffee, slight amount of bourbon, chocolate was the biggest.

Amazing ability to cover up the alcohol, 25% barrel aged was the perfect ratio, massive chocolate and cocao, even the orange and peppers are noticeable without searching for them. This really tastes just like the XXII that didn't make it into bottling. Love the warmth coming from the peppers instead of the alcohol. Isn't massive viscosity wise, a little thicker than the regular BB, but not up there with Abyss or whatnot.

A little vanilla and oak in the mouthfeel as well. The great things about these is the way you can pick things up without having to 'look' for them in the beer. Complex, but without weird shit for the sake of being weird, every aspect of it seems to meld well with the others. Light notes of coffee and bitterness, like the regular BB.

Solid beer all the way around. I wonder what will happen to the orange and pasilla peppers with age?

07-11-2011 22:55:35 | More by Beerandraiderfan
jera1350

Darkest of brown colors, kind of thin looking with a lovely head of tan foam that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells sweet and lightly roasty. Some chocolate notes as well.

Taste is mainly of dark chocolate with some complimenting orange peel/orange liquor. Some roasted malt with just a hint of chile flavor, but no heat whatsoever. Can't pick up any of the bourbon at all. I would sum up the taste as a Mayan Gold chocolate bar from Green and Black's. Dark chocolate and light orange.

Very smooth and soft on the palate. I would call this about medium bodied.

A nice overall beer, however for the price, I could really do without it again. It's not as big and interesting as I would expect an anniversary beer like this to be. Maybe just too many ingredients and they cancel each other out? Still a very enjoyable and drinkable beer that is worth trying once for sure.

07-11-2011 22:19:19 | More by jera1350
jsapunor

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours with a couple of fingers of head on a body so dark the summer sun can't penetrate it. After a glance at the label I expect to smell the chocolate and it's there hiding in the roasty malt. The oak is present too and more so as the beer warms.

The taste is a surprise. The advertised cocoa, orange and oak are all there but the heat at the finish was unexpected. Checking the fine print on the side of the bottle and I see that they threw in some pasilla chilis for good measure. It all works. Combine the taste with a nice, thick mouthfeel for a porter and you have a brew that's delightful.

The label said I should hold off until June 2012. I couldn't wait and I'm glad I didn't. Excellent!

07-11-2011 15:35:42 | More by jsapunor
drabmuh

Maryland

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle shared by Dan. Thanks! At the time of this review #15 on the top American Porter list on beeradvocate.com. Beer is brown to black with a nice head of tan bubbles, some lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is odd, a little spicy? Chili peppers? Odd. Sweet, mild roast, some chocolate.

Beer is medium to light in body. It is mildly body with a mild chili flavor and some mild chocolate. It tastes fine but not as good as the XX or the XXI in my opinion. I think this is very similar to XXII but I don't know that for sure. I have another bottle and I will drink it one night. It was fine.

07-11-2011 14:09:57 | More by drabmuh
alexhahn82

3.23/5  rDev -24.7%

A - Pitch Black. With a very small head (poured by a delicate handed beertender.

S - A hint of booze, hint of cocoa.

T/M - Tastes of oak up front (I said OAK not bourbon, but does finish with a bourbon flavor. Finishes very chocolaty with a bitter end. Mouthfeel is heavy with an almost peppey quality. After finishes off bourbony.

Overall - A little too much actual cocoa nibs for my taste, it would be better if it was a chocolate flavor from toasted barley more so than an additive. Def worth a shot but will UPDATE this review when I taste it AFTER ITS "BEST AFTER" DATE.

PP (Price Point) - $10.99 for a 22oz Partially bourbon barrel aged beer that is 10.8% is well worth it to me.

Overall

07-11-2011 04:09:36 | More by alexhahn82
HopHead84

7/8/2011

Thanks to Matt for opening the bottle. Snifter.

A: Looks black in the dim light of The Abbey. Large frothy light brown head.

S: Cocoa and dark chocolate with light oak notes. Moderately roasted malt with a pronounced chili influence. Faint bourbon and lightly nutty. Smells balanced and quite nice.

T: Chili and a slight spiciness with oak and faint bourbon. The chili flavor isn't as good in the flavor. A bit of astringency. Robust dark chocolate. Low earthy bitterness and some heat in the finish.

M: Full body with upper moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is chewy, sticky, smooth.

Overall: Pretty good. I wish they'd have kept the original XX recipe.

07-10-2011 12:05:11 | More by HopHead84
jjanega08

Best After 6/15/12

A= Pours a nice dark black color with a tight brown head on it that holds some nice retention and pretty decent lacing. Pretty much what I expect.

S= The same majesty I remember. Nice oak wood and roasty tastiness. Chocolate and maybe some vanilla from the wood. Not nearly as much bourbon as I remember in the nose however.

T= The taste is more like I remember with the bourbon. Nice oak bourbon and some vanilla. Good dark chocolate flavor comes through. A tasty roasty malt flavor.

M= This is really smooth and thick. Better than I remember with the previous batches.

O= Another winner. Keep them coming guys. I'll be buying many many more to come.

07-10-2011 00:06:25 | More by jjanega08
harrymel

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Well, I'm no Seville or Pasilla expert, but I know what Chilis and Oranges taste like, so hopefully that qualifies me to taste this....

A: Pours a dark, nearly black ale with a single finger of latte head which falls over a couple minutes to a thick sheet of the same. Rings of lacing. Clarity cannot be assessed.

S: Chocolate and roasted malts make the introduction. Quickly followed up by some coffee notes, chili sharpness and some alcohol burn. Getting only the slightest hint of orange citric nose here - it's sweet in nature. The bourbon barrels are second fiddle here, but evident and actually meld with the chili's well. Really complex, primary issue is in the prominence of the alcohol, and the subtlety of the orange, but nonetheless really nice.

T: Toasty, bitter and alcoholic. The alcohol is a bit a fuego at this point. The orange is more evident, but I think is what tastes bitter at this point as well. The beer has plenty of cocoa here, and it is dry and borders on a coffee-esque profile. The chili is nearly gone at this point for me - some of the vegetal flavors remain, but no heat (except from the ETOH). Bourbon is sweet and adds a hint of vanilla flavor. I don't believe the flavor is where it could be - I do believe this will get better with time in the bottle.

M: A bit thin for the profile and adjuncts. The beer is medium in body, and rolls over the tongue quickly with low to prickly carbonation. The finish is watering, but I wish it was more viscous so as to allow me to 'chew' on the resonance.

O: The beer has a ton of potential, I'm uncertain the oranges were necessary, and the chili choice may have been too passive for the bold flavors of the beer itself. However, the bourbon is well played here, and the beer is of high quality. I believe the "best after" date on this bottle is something to heed seriously. Although I'm an advocate for releasing beer when it's ready to be had, I can also respect a beer that says: best after, indicating to me a review will be merited a year from now to see how well they predicted the progress. In the meantime, this is a great beer, with room for growth; if it grows much further, this will develop a profile reminiscent of Hunahpu's (albeit different, the nose is similar, but a little less intense).

07-09-2011 16:03:21 | More by harrymel
Wetpaperbag

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%

A- Poured thin, very dark brown in the pour, black in the glass. Tan head that is clingy and frothy with great lacing.

S- The usual suspects, chocolate, vanilla, dark roasted malts, that are very mellow. The chili and orange are there in a subtle way.

T- Sweet taste, with the chocolate being there up front. The chili is there too, almost a bit too much though. This has more bitterness then I would have thought, a bitterness that just doesn't seem to want to go away. There is a strange complexity here, but it just tastes funny. I had last year's recipe and this is supposed to be the same exact one, but with different chocolate. I think last years was better with the funky chocolate.

M- I would have liked a thicker brew. I know this is a porter so it is thinner, but I think the sweetness would play better in a thicker beer.

O- This one is a bit of a miss for me, which is sad because this has been a beer I've looked forward to every year since it was first released. Perhaps I'm missing something on this beer.

07-09-2011 03:54:53 | More by Wetpaperbag
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a deep opaque sable with a decent light tan head. Barleywine-like aroma has nutty and molasses tones. Smoky flavor is more like a barleywine than a porter and has nutty and molasses hints - overall very tasty. Texture is smooth and fizzy, very pleasing.

07-09-2011 03:34:53 | More by Cyberkedi
FosterJM

627th review on BA
Draft to snifter
@blue palms

App- A garnet brown with a fuller colored center. Nice one finger quick to recede head. Lace and stick is nice but small.

Smell- A big whiff of coffee with malts. Get a nice hit of the cocao.

Taste- A very well crafted beer. Its malty and a little of that cocoa. Its very assertive when it wants to be and tame at same time. Malt profile is more prevelent.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. Very low key with the coffee.

Drink- Hot damn! This was so tasty and well done. On draft its even better. The balance is unique and well crafted. Just simply tasty.

07-09-2011 00:47:01 | More by FosterJM
mdfb79

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

From 07/07/11 notes. Brought this to a small get together last night. I've been a big fan of BB XX and BB XXI, and have been looking forwrad to this one since I heard BB XXII wouldn't be released. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Fantome tulip.

a - Pours a pitch black color with one inch of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Light lacing is left on the glass and head rention is a minute or two.

s - Smells of oranges, roasted malts, chocolate, citrus, light vanilla, ligh wood, and very very light bourbon. The citrus comes through a good amount in the nose, especially oranges, and the bourbon is almost nonexistent. Pretty nice.

t - Tastes of bitter chocolate, roasted malts, oranges, cocoa, vanilla, citrus, and some burnt notes. No real wood or whiskey in the taste like the nose, and the bitter chocolate and roasted malts jump out front. Again, pretty good.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth and no alcohol heat which is nice. Very nice mouthfeel.

o - Overall a beer I enjoyed, but not as much as XX or XXI. The oranges definitely come through, especially in the nose, but not much bourbon comes through. A good beer, but I prefer XXI when it was fresh and aged a bit. Going to hold onto my other bottles of this for a bit and see if it ages well like the others.

07-08-2011 17:33:46 | More by mdfb79
CaptainTripps

Oregon

22oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Pours a very, very dark brown, almost black. Has light brown hues on the edges in the light. Pour came with one fingers worth of tan/mocha head that left little lacing.

S: At first whif, you can tell this beer is very complex and rich in flavor. A combination of vanilla, molasses, bourbon, dark chocolate and slight spice are all working together nicely. Some expresso notes in there along with some booziness.

T: Very rich indeed. Bitter dark chocolate followed by bourbon. A nice spice flavor really comes out mid way through; a nice touch if you ask me. Vanilla, molasses and expresso make up the rest of the taste. Alcohol there as well.

M: While the beer is velvety smooth, and full bodied, this thing needs some age. I found the alcohol to be playing a little to big of a part in this beers taste. I also found the alcohol to be competing with the spices which through me off a little bit. Pretty good carbonation.

O: This is a very good beer that will be amazing with some age. If its anything like its big brother XXI, it should do well in the years to follow.

07-08-2011 11:44:24 | More by CaptainTripps
GilGarp

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bottle with black wax over the cap.

Served around 50 degrees cold into a goblet.

Black Butte 23 is nearly black with crema colored head. Good retention and lacing.

Aroma is rich and sweet with vanilla undertones from the oak and a little bourbon character.

Flavor is big and bold with robust dark malts and strong bitterness. The bourbon oak barrel aging is certainly felt with the same characteristics as the aroma with vanilla and whisky.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and nicely carbonated. Alcohol is a little strong and the bourbon just makes it seem a little harsh.

Overall a really nice version of this style. Why do they call it a porter? Who knows.

07-08-2011 01:57:29 | More by GilGarp
OBeerMeGreatOne

4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle with a best after date of 6/15/12. Being that I also bought one to cellar, I said, "F##k it, suck it, I'm gonna do it to it.". I said it just like that so you know an aged rereview will happen. Here we go.

Pours black with dark brown at the very edges. I poured it into a snifter pretty damn hard and got about a half inch of head. For 10.8% ABV I'd say that's pretty good. The lacing is moderate.

On the nose I smell both chocolate and banana, the chocolate I smell is more base beer than nibs. Orange zest comes next, I'll let it warm and add more before I rate the stench. Some oak and earth notes come out as it warms.

The taste is a little crazy at the start. Orange and chocolate swirl together with a bourbon barrel middle. The chili spice is very slight, I'm hoping age will bring it out a bit. I also taste slight banana in the finish. For 10.8% the booze is surprisingly pleasant and not too hot. The mouth is a little thin, strange, neither of it's predecessors had this issue.

I really enjoyed the unaged bottle and am sure that like XXI, it will age well. I'll be sure to rereview in a year and a half or so.

07-08-2011 01:13:04 | More by OBeerMeGreatOne
SubpoenaDeuces

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

A: slippery BP black with mild wateriness and deep amber hues, great carbonation and a fantastic presentation

S: There is an orange rind smell with licorice light and smokiness. It smells amazing.

T; There is a great slickness with a little juniper herbal finish to it. The front is similar to dark chocolate notes but the mouthfeel is distinctly porter not stout. It has a finishing dryness with a lingering sweetness. Just fantastic all around on the taste notes.

M: The coating is huge, probably the thickest porter that I have encountered. This easily gives Victory at Sea a run for its money. I want more and alas, I cannot obtain it that easily.

D: This is a split ticket decision. On one hand you have a big foamy, filling, high abv porter that imparts considerable dryness. On the other hand, it is so well balanced and delicious, you could drink this into a stupor. Ultimately I will side with the party that supports consuming delicious things at length. If you have soft little hands and a light stride, sure, have an 8oz taster and move on. The rest of us will engage in a bacchanalian festival of porters and rejoicing.

Narrative: Mocha stared knowingly at the horizon, sensing a storm was coming. Her penguin bretheren were too busy diving for squid in the shallows to pay attention. However, deep in Mocha’s soul she felt that insightful knowledge, that looming storm. They would chastise her, call her serious and forlorn and continue with their gallivanting. Day by day the temperatures were steadily rising and no one seemed to care. Sage old Mocha wiped her brown and pecked at the shallow pools. No one believed her when she predicated the great migration, no one trusted her when she foresaw the epic enclosure and flock partition, but now, here they were, in the Cleveland Zoo, and things were getting worse. Some Browns fans had showed up to the habitat and were throwing pork rinds into the water. Their jowls shook violently as they guffawed at the penguins splashing playfully. Mocha lowered her gaze at these overweight humans and noted, “mom’s gonna fix it all soon, mom’s gonna drown us set back to the way it oughta be.”

07-06-2011 08:14:37 | More by SubpoenaDeuces
beerandcycling88

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a bomber into my snifter.

A pours a dark brown almost black color with a tan head and some lacing.

S amazing nose that is very complex. Its sweet with bourbon, vanilla, booze, chocolate, and a hint of orange. In terms of complexity it is up there with many great imperial stouts.

T the taste is equally as complex with a lot going on. First you get chocolate right up front. this is followed by some orange, bourbon and some spicy chillies on the finish. The ABV is super well hidden. You get a lingering chocolate taste in your mouth afterwards.

M Very smooth mouthfeel, yet thick and kind of syrupy.

Overall this is an amazing beer. It is complex with a lot going on that makes it satisfying to drink. I think it is mislabeled as an American porter as it is more like an imperial stout then a porter but either way it is amazing for the style. I'm glad I have another one to try in a year after the best after date, as this will be an epic beer.

07-06-2011 03:55:39 | More by beerandcycling88
Swillbur

Oklahoma

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from bomber into Chimay chalice. Second time trying, first time beer was to cold.

I start this beer by leaving it on counter until it warms up a bit from the fridge. After a pretty hard pour im left with a dark brown glass of nectar with little to no head and zero lacing. The aromas this beer gives off are really amazing after it becomes room temp. I get Chili, hot chocoalate, vanilla and some bourbon in the background. Smells fantastic. The taste is right there with the smells. Right away i get chocolate, bourbon, roasted malt, some orange, and the chili is there too. This is a smooth beer, the mouth feel and carbonation are both spot on. ABV is very well masked. The warmer this beer gets the better it tastes. Im glad i have two more to try later on down the road.

07-05-2011 09:44:34 | More by Swillbur
Chriscrundwell12

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a darkness snifter. Sharred with a fellow BA.

A- Pours very thin, really dark brown color, looks almost black after the pour, really nice carbonation, 2 finger beige head that dissipates quickly to a nice ring around the glass.
S-First impression of the aroma was really unique almost unusual in a weird way, the more I smelled it the more it grew on me, very light aroma, slight smokiness, hints of orange peels and chocolate.
T- The taste is phenomenal, roasted cocoa, coffee, nice smokiness, chocolate, molasses, orange zest, a lot better than aroma, alcohol is present but not overpowering, slight sweetness in the aftertaste, I crave more after every sip.
M- Medium/big mouth feel, nice carbonation, dry on the finish.
O- I have yet to have any of the previous Black Butte anniversary beers, but this one really impressed me. The taste to this beer was amazing; I enjoyed every sip, and only craved more once I was done. Will definitely be grabbing some more bottles to age.

07-04-2011 05:50:04 | More by Chriscrundwell12
snaotheus

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

22oz bottle split up into a couple large snifters

Pours black and slick with no head. Smell is sweet and caramelly, roasty, almost syrupy. Taste is a bomb of chocolate and coffee with a little cough syrup cherry in there. Rich, thick, very tasty.

Mouthfeel is just perfect for a porter, slightly thick, dry, chalky feeling, not too sticky. Overall, this is a very good porter. Very good.

07-04-2011 03:16:29 | More by snaotheus
Sjdavis

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

Into a Black Butte pint glass.

A- Obviously, very dark. Nearly black and opaque. A tilted glass and bright light reveals a gradient from the inside to outside of brown, red, orange and yellow. Full inch of attractive, tan-colored head, and fair bit of lacing.

S- Molasses, chocolate and coffee. Clear from the smell that this is rich.

T- Delivers on its aroma. Rich chocolate and coffee, sweet, transitioning to a note of orangey bitterness, then fading out. Chilis become noticeable only as it warms as a lingering heat in the back of the throat. Lovely.

D- Syrupy, but good carbonation, hops and chili heat balance out the thick sweetness pretty well. Alcohol well-hidden. That said, my wife and I had our hands full finishing the 22oz. Not one to break out after mowing the lawn.

07-04-2011 03:05:10 | More by Sjdavis
plfahey

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Very dark brown/black with just a hint of red highlight when held to the light.Moderate stand of tan foam with decent retention.

Aroma-Smell is strong of coffee, bittersweet chocolate, sweet molasses, and a hint of fruit. Dark espresso roast has a sort of green pepper/ancho chili character to it, but is light. Hint of sweet oak/vanilla. There's a whiff of perfumy alcohol and some brownie batter chocolate which gives it a sort of chocolate liqueur smell.

Flavor-Rich and coffeelike, with that same green pepper edge up front. Some dark chocolate is present as well, with an overall german chocolate cake feel to it. Still some of that green pepper coffee flavor. Alcohol is definitely a bit harsh/hot-this one could use some age to be sure, probably a year or two at the least. Finish has notes of orange, but mostly dark chocolate and the heat from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel-Medium full body with moderate carbonation. Overly hot from the alcohol.

Though my score certainly doesn't show it, this has the makings of an incredible beer. It's too young right now (as evidenced by the best after 6/15/12 date on the bottle). The alcohol is hot, and the flavors haven't fully integrated yet. Don't get me wrong, its still a decent beer, but this one will improve greatly with some time.

07-03-2011 04:37:34 | More by plfahey
DarthKostrizer

On tap at Steingarten

Look: Pitch black with brown rings around the edges and 1/4 head with little retention and lace

Smell: Licorice, coffee, chocolate, and bourbon

Taste: The taste follows suit to the smell. Upfront is a bit of the bourbon sting maybe from being so fresh. Then you get hints of chocolate and roasted malt with hints of coffee and licorice

Mouthfeel: Full bodied lightly carbonated and moderately warm from the alcohol

Overall: Nice anniversary beer but not the best porter I have ever had but its definitely worth drinking and aging I would age this for about 6 months and try it again.

07-02-2011 19:50:29 | More by DarthKostrizer