Conflux No. 2 - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 07-26-2011

Brewed in Collaboration with Boulevard Brewing Co.; released July 2011.

Made with orange peel, coriander, lemongrass and sage.

See:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /423/68746  for the same recipe (with minor variances) brewed and bottled at Boulevard.

IBU: 49
ABV: 7.3%
to view more.
Ratings: 254 | Reviews: 142
Reviews by cbarrett4:

Tasted side by side vs Boulevard's version at Deschutes PDX. Took bottles of this one to go.

Pours a pale straw hue with orange highlights, very generous white head fades slowly to a good lace.

Nose is all Belgian and all up in your face. Coriander dominates, orange flower, lemon rind, and funky yeast all contribute. Very generous nose, but kind of clouds together.

Flavors dominated by lemon, orange zest, and coriander. Some clove and yeast contribute.

Very low tannin, medium acidity, carbonation does a nice job of refreshing the palate, but lighter grip and a shorter finish detract.

Overall a very good effort from Deschutes, who has been making stunning Belgian inspired beers for awhile now, but only available in their brewpubs!

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

22oz bottle, best by 11/10/11. Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a big creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is wheaty malts, a little soapy lemoney citrus and some wit spices - pepper, corriander.

The flavor is the same as the nose - sweet wheaty malts and lemon with the wit spices - pepper and corriander. There's some bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, tastes like a decent wit to me. I don't pick up much IPA characteristics. It has been a while, but I think the Boulevard seemed more hoppy to me.

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

22oz bomber with a freshness date.

LOOK: Nice display of lacing, hazed (almost turbid) golden yellow

SMELL: Spicy, perfumey, herbal hop, dough bread, fresh grass, botanical

TASTE: Hoppy, slightly soapy, bready, chalky yeast, spicy, warming alcohol, exotic fruit, peppery, floral, lemon pith, semi-sweet finish

A bit too much spicing IMO, I can appreciate the brewer's intention but just seems a bit muddled to me. Less spicing and a dryer palate to start with would have worked for me.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy pale yellow with foamy head and sticky lacing.

Smell: Lots of orange (both from the hops and the orange peel), plus some grapefruit, lemon and coriander.

Taste: What an odd beer. Strong citrusy hops upfront of orange and grapefruit, along with orange peel and nice wheat undertones. Then it turns more spicy, with coriander, clove, pepper and a long lingering pine-like bitterness. It is odd, but fantastic.

Feel: High carbonation, medium body, very dry finish. Comes across as both oily and effervescent, which is a little strange.

Overall: Great pairing here. Extremely refreshing and easy to drink, yet very complex.

Not much difference between the Boulevard and Deschutes versions. Maybe Boulevard had a slightly better mouthfeel, and the hop profiles are not exactly the same.

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

big thanks to tom for bringing this to our last tasting!

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. served along side the boulevard version.

pours out a pale yellowish golden color, maybe the slightest bit darker than the boulevard version. nice looking white head, cloudy.

a slight dank hoppy aroma, lemon citrus, white pepper, phenoly belgian yeast.

again, a little bit of that dank lemony citrus hops, moderate bitterness in the finish. a little bit more of a spicey pepper than the boulevard, phenoly belgian yeast.

crisp, medium body, good feeling carbonation.

overall, these beers were soo very similar. blindfolded, i dont think i would even be able to tell that i was drinking 2 different beers. that being said, if i had to pick one, it would be the boulevard version. really love this idea, more breweries need to start doing a colab like this. also, if i did something like this again, i would definatly do it as a blind tasting.

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Hazy light yellow and golden with a thin white head. Lined lacing down the glass. Looks like a traditional witbier.

The tart, tangy, somewhat spicy Belgian yeast is strong and slightly overpowering, along with lots of sage and lemongrass. An incredibly aromatic beer, though I'm not crazy about the heavy-handed addition of the herbs.

Sage and lemongrass are front and center and the Belgian yeast also plays a huge role in this beer's flavor. There are floral and lemony notes as well. Interesting and unique, though not one of my favorites.

Light to medium bodied with amble carbonation. No complaints.

An interesting and unique beer and a showcase of sage and lemongrass flavor within a beer. That being said, the Belgian yeast and herbs overpower any hops or earthy characters this "IPA" might otherwise possess.

Belgian IPA? I wondered how this would be classified on BA, at first, I thought witbier, then ipa, but belgian ipa, makes sense I guess.

Light yellow appearance with tons of orange peel floating around it. I like. Good dry hoppy aroma, citrus, mild coriander, so glad they didn't overdo that, such a deal breaker for me sometimes.

Taste, easy drinking, best of both worlds, solid ipa hopping, but reserved in its witbier components, not an even blend thankfully, but the orange peel works with either style, so amping that up here worked quite nicely. Price point at $8 was the only thing that would keep me from going after this one again.

White IPA indeed, perfect descriptor.

1.42/5  rDev -64.3%

I normally don't give a beer such low reviews unless I truly disliked it. My first "F" rating here on BA.

I drank this yesterday; or rather, about close to 1/2 of it before I gave it back for another beer at the Toronado SF.

I'm hoping the keg was bad *OR* the lines were dirty *OR* the glass still had cleaning chemicals in it after the wash.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripple is my favorite of this style and as I didn't expect this beer to be similar, I expected to like it as I am a fan of the style.

All I can say is that this beer both smelled and tasted I assume the same as if I mixed all my cleaning products under the sink together and brewed a beer with them. I love Belgians and I love IPAs and I very much like Belgian IPAs. I found neither of those three characteristics in this beer.

Everything about it turned me off. Possibly my worst career experience with craft.

3.97/5  rDev -0.3%

Bomber served cold in a pint glass.

Slightly hazy and very pale yellow color. Head is thick at first but short lived.

Aroma is sweet and hoppy with a Belgian yeast character.

Flavor is nicely hoped and crisp. A good bland of saison and ipa.

Mouthfeel is very light in body and dry on the finish.

Overall a good and uniquely different beer.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

22 oz. bomber poured into a straight pint glass.

A: The beer pours a slightly cloudy pale yellow/gold color with a creamy white head of foam. There are numerous strands of bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass and medium lacing clinging to the glass.

S: The beer gives off an aroma of Belgian yeast, lemon grass, pepper, sage and citrus hops. It really does smell like an IPA crossed with a Wit.

T: This is a very refreshing beer with a nice cross of hops and wheat. It starts with a nice clean wheat flavor but then finishes with the bitter hops and a touch of lemon.

M: This is a very medium to light bodied beer as the malt is very minimal. The wheat and hops take center stage, making this is a very nice and refreshing summer beer. Nice light and crisp mouth feel.

O: I'm typically not a fan of Belgian IPAs, but I was impressed by this beer. It's light and refreshing but complex at the same time.

3.7/5  rDev -7%

The other half of the collaboration tasted laterally. This was closer to the style, with a pronounced dryness. Significant coriander, white pepper. More perceived bitterness, with a mild hop aroma. Likely better consumed with food, I thought the drinkability was fine but limited. Slightly hazy whitish coloured body.Thanks again, Tom.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Had the Boulevard release relatively soon after release - been sitting on this one ever since then having forgotten to review it. Anyhow...poured from a 22oz bomber into my Hoegaarden tumbler.

Lightly hazy pale yellow (with a touch of green/pear) liquid capped by a thin layer of lasting ivory merengue. Superior retention, thick creamy lacing.

Despite a touch of age now, the hops are still at the front of the nose, offering up peppery, earthy notes which blend very well with the coriander and orange additions.

Spicy clean, not quite tart palate entry with a kiss of buttermilk and more peppercorn and earth (hints of Brett. almost) leading into the malt-supported moderately bitter core of flavor. The finish is dry, gently spicy, hoppy, with an after-taste of oranges.

Medium-light bodied, effervescent but crisp at the same time. Alcohol slows you down a touch, though the thirst quenching factor is high enough with this ale that you could readily down multiple bottles if you weren't cautious.

While I can no longer make a direct comparison, I recall the Blvd recipe to be nearly identical in execution (though the Blvd likely underwent additional development in the bottle by comparison), though I wonder if this one would have been even more hop-forward when it was equally as fresh. Excellent collaboration (though Blvd's work with Orval is even more impressive) and a tasty domestic rendering of the style.

3.94/5  rDev -1%

22oz bomber, Special Brews

appearance: served in a brookyln shaker pint, extremely dull pale yellow - looks almost like lemonade

smell: lemon zest...very similar to a witbier - lots of spice and yeast, white pepper and corriander

taste: i dont know what the difference, technically speaking, between the deschutes and boulevard versions is but my bias inclines me to automatically assume the boulevard version is superior. Light and zesty - lemon juice, crisp yeast, white pepper, corriander, light citrus. Pairs well with my curried lamb dinner

mouthfeel: quite light, refreshing

overall: good - bouleavard version worth the extra change

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Picked this up because I hadn't seen it before. I also got one with an exp date of 11-10-11... Weird.

The appearance might be my favorite part. This is the first beer I've poured where the head extruded itself out from the top of the glass. It is a bright yellow color, unfiltered, with clumps of yeast floating around amid the lively carbonation.

It smells like nothing else. The wheat is very present, but interestingly cut by citrusy hop aromatics.

The flavor is bright with a little hop bitterness, but overwhelmed by the wheat malt, with herbal notes in the background. Despite the relatively high alcohol content, I actually thought it tasted a little watered down almost.

The mouthfeel is negatively affected by the lightness of the body. The carbonation is pretty lively, but doesn't live long. By the second glass it was nearly flat, and the flavor doesn't seem to linger long, something I would like to see in a what brew.

3.76/5  rDev -5.5%

Picked up a bomber at the Coalmine in Colorado Springs, CO. There's something a little too sharp and vegetal in the aroma, sort of like bitter greens in a salad. I think there might be too much sage (at least for my liking). Otherwise, there's a creamy orange and grapefruit hops character that has a pleasant bite, but isn't overpowering. There are also slight notes of cherry and earthy, sharp lemongrass. Aside from the aroma, this is a fine hybrid and creative beer. Worth a try.

4.54/5  rDev +14.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Yellow golden color with good clarity but some sediment, even with a careful pour off the top of the bottle. Tall white head has good retention.

Aroma-Gorgeous aroma of lemongrass, mint, herbs, sage, orange citrus, soft perfumy coriander, and light floral notes. Heavenly. Soft white bread malt in the background. Elegant and quite pleasing.

Flavor-Light orange citrus and lemongrass up front, with light honey and wheaty white bread flavors in the midpalate. Herbal, minty, sagelike, and coriander all stride through the middle before it finishes with moderate hop bitterness and some yeasty funk, to blend with all the spice and herbal character. There's a lot going on, but it blends together seamlessly.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with moderately high carbonation. Smooth on the palate.

This is a very good beer. It's pretty busy, but somehow it all works together, and creates a delicious, palate-pleasing delight of a beverage. It edges out the Boulevard version slightly in terms of flavor and aroma, though both are superb beverages.

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured into an Old Guardian glass. Very nice hazy yellow color with a good lumpy head and many specks a'floatin' in the glass.

Smells incredibly spicy. Lots of coriander and lemon. I don't get much hop smell, but they could be backing the other scents.

Very interesting flavor. All of the coriander hits the back of your tongue like someone is jabbing it with a nail. I would say its akin to bitters or an aperitif. That being said, I don't particularly like it. The person I shared the bottle with liked it quite a bit, though. Lots of carbonation, but it isn't strong carbonation.

I had to hunt this sucker down because my usual store wasn't going to be getting it in. I feel like I might be missing something, but I did not particularly dig this beer's flavor. Everything else seemed good, but the flavor seemed like it was attacking my tongue.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

22 oz bottle into a couple of tulip glasses. I picked this one up at the brewery in last early September and enjoyed it about a month later.

Pours a hazed gold initially, which does eventually clear out, with a finger of frothy bright-white head. This readily maintains a rich and foamy ½ finger, which leaves back a decent amount of sudsy looking lacing. The aroma is very airy feeling the nose, with grassand bubblegum notes and then a strong spicy mix of pepper and coriander. Zesty lemon and some greener bitter citrus round out the edges and work well with the crisp tanginess of the wheat in the back.

The taste is prickly feeling on the palate, with a sharp grassy and slightly piney bitterness that is made even bolder by the strong spiciness of this. The wheat base has a crisp bready twang to it and an almost tart feel that compliments the notes of lemon and orange peel that are present. The finish is dry, pithy, and very spicy, with an extra bit of lingering tartness hanging in there as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a little heavier feeling and sharp on top before getting more smooth and creamy on the tongue. You can definitely feel that 7% though, with some underlying alcohol heft that is holding this back for me.

While I found this to be quite unique, it ultimately just didn’t work that well for me. The combination of the spice from the Belgian yeast and the coriander coupled with the thickness of the wheat profile and then the big ABV on top of that just made even half this bottle tough to drink. Maybe even more of a hop presence might have lent this some needed crispness to help things go down a little easier. At any rate, it’s definitely different.

3.92/5  rDev -1.5%

I purchase this Conflux Series with a touch of trepidation. As I do any brew that has 'series' in its name. Alas, I pour this 22 oz. bomber into a wine glass for fear of recrimination. From whom you ask, well, I don't know. Yet..

Pours a hazed blonde as one might expect from a Blvd. Wheat brew, I think. As I haven't experienced such a beverage. Offers decent retention and some sporty lace, particularly after a bit of a spin, and improving with warming..

Nose of Noble hops, primarily of lemony Saaz influence. Lightly bready and sweet. Touch of orange on the back and quite spicy in a Saison sense. Pleasant but IPA is hardly a term I would use to describe this beer, Belgian or otherwise.

That being said, this beer is pleasant and fruity up front. quite wheaty in the middle and offers a subtle finish.

Overall, an IPA? Seriously? Beligian, as in wheat? Surely not from a San Diego area perspective? Quite enjoyable nonetheless and viewed as a Saison with a blast of Noble hops on the finish.

4.92/5  rDev +23.6%

This is a fantastic and unique beer.

It's almost too bad it's classified here as a Belgian IPA, because it's so much more. A witbier... a fine summer ale... and yes, an IPA.

We had a hard time deciding what kind of glass to use. A wit glass? Something for an IPA? We decided on a standard weizen glass, which did the trick.

We poured the first 2/3 w/o the sediment. Then for the final 1/3, we swirled and dumped the sediment right in, which added a very different character. It was more Belgian IPA at the start, then more wit/blanche near the end.

The scent of the beer was intriguing. The orangey-citrus from the witbier-side, combined with the piney-citrus from the IPA-side. I don't recall having a beer like this before. Schneider-Brooklyn tried this, but the results were kind of flat. Here, the results sparkle.

On the IPA side, this is well balanced and not over the top--the hops are not killing the wheat. And the spicing (orange peel, coriander, etc.) play up to the hops nicely.

Deschutes and Boulevard are two of my favorite brewers, and although they sell a lot of beer, I still think Deschutes is underrated, and this beer strengthens that opinion. And I love Boulevard's Zon witbier, and this takes that to a whole new level.

I'd love to see either brewer take this brew and tweak it up and down, more wheaty, less hoppy, etc. and see what happens. Loads of possibilities here.

This beer is different, but it reminds me of Boulevard's Tank 7 a bit, and the Victory/Dogfish Head Saison du Buff.

Aha! That's it -- maybe this beer is actually a saison? Wheat... dryness... a present but muted hopiness... It's like a reinvention of the saison. I love it. This is a must-try beer.

Poured very belgian white like, cloudy light yellow with a nice creamy thick head.

The smell is dominated by belgian white smells, big coriander, citrus, and belgian yeast.

The flavor is also more belgian white than IPA, big lemony and spicy wheat flavors, more hops than a normal Belgian White, but not overly bitter, just a nice bit of citrusy hop flavors with a light bit of juniper.

The mouthfeel is clean and dry with a touch of resin.

Very nice and easy to drink, even a bottle thats a bit past its prime is drinking very well.

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

I had the Boulevard collaberation beer a little while ago and I alsolutely loved it. Anxious to try one of my favorite breweries version. Very pale yellow color with a massive head that had excellant retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma is medicanal and herbal. There is a faint hint of pale malt. Anything citrus, as proclaimed on the label, is lost to me.

This beer is even less witbier like than Boulevards version. Very little of the malt and yeast base gets past all the hop and herb flavor. Lemongrass and sage is detectable. Bitterness is moderate to high.

Light body with lively carbonation that stops short of being harsh. The carbonation helps in dealing with the bitterness.

I prefered the Boulevard version of the collaberation. It seemed deeper and more complex. But this is still a good example of a Belgian IPA.

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Definitely cloudy, even being careful to leave much of the ample sediment in the bomber. Looks a lot like an unfiltered trippel.

S - Definitely get some IPA and some wit in this, yeasty w/ some citrus and herbs going on.

T - Really tastes like a wit and an ipa mixed together, which is more or less what it is. Some fruity hops, but the spices and yeast come through quite a bit.

D - Good carbonation, very refreshing.

O - I like this beer, but wish it was a bit more ipa and a bit less wit. The hops seem to get overshadowed for my tastes.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

A big thanks to Chris (Cavery) for generously sending me this beer for no reason. Cheers friend!

Appearance – Pours a hazy straw color into a tulip. About a finer of head is achieved with a normal pour that lingers around for quite some time and leaves spotty but nice looking lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – Definite white pepper spices, slight hops, coriander, lemon zest, and more citrus I can’t put my finger on.

Taste – Grassy floral notes, hops, lemon, and the white pepper shine through immediately. The Belgian yeast is a nice flavored one, rather than other strains I have had in the past that is “too” much for me. Honestly, this reminds me more of a saison than a Belgian IPA.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, prickly carbonation that continues the entire time, and finishes a hint dry.

Overall – A very quaffable and enjoyable beer. I really dug this and was wanting to do a side by side with the Boulevard version but had to open this tonight because I knocked the top and heard a faint hiss which made me thing it might lose its carbonation (and I left the other version at my brother-in-laws…oh well!). Though I know it is a cardinal sin to keep an IPA in ones cellar, I’d be interested to see what happened to this with a few months or a year on it. Glad I was able to try it!

4.27/5  rDev +7.3%

Serving Type: Bottle

A: Golden yellow with a hint of orange to it. About an inch of white head. Very hazy and can't see through to the other side. Could see what I would assume was the orange peel floating around in it.

S: It smells great! Very Citrusy/fruity and somewhat spicey.

T: Very good, smooth. A good balance between wheat/hops. Can taste the lemon/orange/coriander.

Light but tasty. A great beer for warm summer days.

to view more.