2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Conflux No. 2 - Deschutes Brewery

Conflux No. 2Conflux No. 2

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.30% ABV

Brewed in Collaboration with Boulevard Brewing Co.; released July 2011.

Made with orange peel, coriander, lemongrass and sage.

See:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /423/68746  for the same recipe (with minor variances) brewed and bottled at Boulevard.

IBU: 49
ABV: 7.3%

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 07-26-2011)
View: Beers (118) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Conflux No. 2 Alström Bros
Ratings: 250 | Reviews: 143 | Show All Ratings:
RBassSFHOPit2ME

1.4/5  rDev -64.9%

I normally don't give a beer such low reviews unless I truly disliked it. My first "F" rating here on BA.

I drank this yesterday; or rather, about close to 1/2 of it before I gave it back for another beer at the Toronado SF.

I'm hoping the keg was bad *OR* the lines were dirty *OR* the glass still had cleaning chemicals in it after the wash.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripple is my favorite of this style and as I didn't expect this beer to be similar, I expected to like it as I am a fan of the style.

All I can say is that this beer both smelled and tasted I assume the same as if I mixed all my cleaning products under the sink together and brewed a beer with them. I love Belgians and I love IPAs and I very much like Belgian IPAs. I found neither of those three characteristics in this beer.

Everything about it turned me off. Possibly my worst career experience with craft.

09-16-2011 15:42:51 | More by RBassSFHOPit2ME
russwbeck

2.7/5  rDev -32.3%

A: Hazy clear yellow pour with a huge white head. Tons of lacing down the glass and great retention. I really did not expect this to be so light.

S: Lemony, citrus, coriander, sort of wondering where the hops are.

T: Really tastes more like a wheat ale than an IPA. Spicey, lemon, citrus, coriander. It has a strange aftertaste.

MF: Light, a bit of a low amount of carbonation.

O: This really disappointed me. The taste was really strange, too spicey, not enough hops.

11-06-2011 02:47:54 | More by russwbeck
billshmeinke

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

Didn't realize this was a Belgian IPA when I bought it. I'm not much of a fan of the style, but I'll do my best to give an impartial review.

Really pale and cloudy golden body with three fingers of fluffy white head. Great lacing and retention.

Smells of citrus and bubblegum belgian yeast.

Taste follows smell. I get bubblegum, banana, cloves, and a slightly soapy flavor. The wheat really doesn't seem to do much. Perhaps adds a touch of spice, but really pretty passive. Way too phenolic and estery. No balance.

Mouthfeel is big and syrupy, luckily lots of carbonation helps break it up... somewhat.

Just no balance. It's too over the top, and the soapy flavor with the syrupy texture is kinda gross.

08-25-2011 23:50:45 | More by billshmeinke
HopHead84

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

8/13/2011

On tap at Churchill's.

A: Transparent straw gold with a white cap.

A: Pronounced sage with lemongrass. Lightly grainy with a touch of caramel. Earthy hop notes and faint hay.

T: Sweet sage accompanies a peppery spiciness and ample bread. Caramel is evident. There's a lower moderate earthy bitterness with a little lemon. Light apple notes.

M: Light body with high carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry.

Overall: This was merely okay. Between Carlos and I the pint was not finished.

08-15-2011 16:24:11 | More by HopHead84
Trilogy31

3.28/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a hazy golden sunset orange with a thick rocky white head leaving nice lacing. The nose carries classic belgian wit spicing, along with some herbal and citrus notes as well, complex yet seemingly unbalanced an odd combination. The taste brings coriander and a fruity ester sweetness along with citrusy tea notes, the beer also finishes up with a tannic tea astrigency, with light citric hoppy bitterness as well Pretty looking at decent quality the two styles really dont make sense together to me.

08-19-2011 01:32:29 | More by Trilogy31
dmgnyc

3.28/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a bottle purchased at Belmont Station in PDX into a tulip. Pours a light hazy yellow with quickly dissipating head and good lacing. Combination of citrus and wheat on the nose. This is billed as a White IPA, but it's really for all intents and purposes a wheat wine. A little thin and astringent in the mouthfeel, though the alcohol is hidden pretty well for a 7% plus. A little odd, easier to appreciate than actually drink.

09-10-2011 00:19:55 | More by dmgnyc
blackie

3.28/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

picked up a bottle somewhere you yonder

a: served in a slim unibroue snifter, pale golden in color with a slight haze of floaters, the pour forms a white head with average retention

s: the prominent features of the nose are a witbier spiciness with coriander out front and a citrus/tropical hop nose, smells alright but the coriander level is a bit much

m: carbonation moderate-high, body lighter

t: coriander reigns from start to finish - it's really a bit much and gives an artificially floral, waxy taste, pils and wheaty malts form a light base, theres some clash with the citrusy hop flavors and the wit elements, moderately bitter, spritzy, lingering coriander, bright acid

o: seems to be a witbier at heart - pils/wheat malts and associated spice, but hopped up a bit, I don't think it works particularly well as a hybrid style, and some elements (especially coriander) of the wit side seem exaggerated, drinkable but not especially enjoyable

04-05-2013 05:07:18 | More by blackie
20ozmonkey

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured into an Old Guardian glass. Very nice hazy yellow color with a good lumpy head and many specks a'floatin' in the glass.

Smells incredibly spicy. Lots of coriander and lemon. I don't get much hop smell, but they could be backing the other scents.

Very interesting flavor. All of the coriander hits the back of your tongue like someone is jabbing it with a nail. I would say its akin to bitters or an aperitif. That being said, I don't particularly like it. The person I shared the bottle with liked it quite a bit, though. Lots of carbonation, but it isn't strong carbonation.

I had to hunt this sucker down because my usual store wasn't going to be getting it in. I feel like I might be missing something, but I did not particularly dig this beer's flavor. Everything else seemed good, but the flavor seemed like it was attacking my tongue.

08-17-2011 20:47:56 | More by 20ozmonkey
matttttYCE

Arizona

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance - Poured into my tulip glass. The head is nice and fluffy, about 2 fingers high and seems to stick around for a long time. Lacing is moderate and sticky. Color of the brew is a clear pale straw color. Looks almost like a wheat or Belgian style ale.

Smell - If i didn't know what this was, I'd probably tell you that the aroma is like a mix of an IPA and some kind of wheat beer. Like a slightly hoppier Witbier. Up front there's a good deal of wheat, spice and citrus, the sage, lemongrass, and orange peel, and coriander are pretty darn apparent, estery aromas, slight banana and clove, Belgian yeast smells like a bit of tart and funk. Behind all that are some of the IPA notes, like herbal and citrus hops, maybe a faint bit of pine. Smells pretty good, but not anything I'm really blown away by.

Taste - Taste is much the same as the nose except there's a bit more to the northwest hop flavors. Wheat, spices, sage, lemongrass, and coriander are most apparent, Belgian yeast, a bit of tartness, fruity and estery notes (again probably from the Belgian yeast), some sweetness, and citrus and floral hop qualities, maybe a hint of pine, slight banana and clove like the taste. When I burp I get a good amount of the Northwest style hops, but they really aren't all that apparent in the taste. Again, not much to write home about.

Mouthfeel - Feel is pretty good. Silky smooth consistency, medium carbonation, light-medium body, and a pretty average length finish. Nothing sticks around that long.

Overall - Overall this one is a decent beer, but really not my cup of tea. If the hop qualities had been more apparent, I might've enjoyed this more, but it was really just like a slightly hoppier Wit. And Wits really aren't go to beer most of the time. Now that I think about it, this beer actually tastes a little bit like a hoppier, more Belgian/wheat version of Stone's Saison Du BUFF with all the sage and spices in it. That was another beer that was decent and interesting, but not really my thing.

08-19-2011 23:12:36 | More by matttttYCE
Jason

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%

22oz bomber with a freshness date.

LOOK: Nice display of lacing, hazed (almost turbid) golden yellow

SMELL: Spicy, perfumey, herbal hop, dough bread, fresh grass, botanical

TASTE: Hoppy, slightly soapy, bready, chalky yeast, spicy, warming alcohol, exotic fruit, peppery, floral, lemon pith, semi-sweet finish

A bit too much spicing IMO, I can appreciate the brewer's intention but just seems a bit muddled to me. Less spicing and a dryer palate to start with would have worked for me.

03-14-2012 03:08:57 | More by Jason
ehammond1

3.35/5  rDev -16%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Hazy light yellow and golden with a thin white head. Lined lacing down the glass. Looks like a traditional witbier.

The tart, tangy, somewhat spicy Belgian yeast is strong and slightly overpowering, along with lots of sage and lemongrass. An incredibly aromatic beer, though I'm not crazy about the heavy-handed addition of the herbs.

Sage and lemongrass are front and center and the Belgian yeast also plays a huge role in this beer's flavor. There are floral and lemony notes as well. Interesting and unique, though not one of my favorites.

Light to medium bodied with amble carbonation. No complaints.

An interesting and unique beer and a showcase of sage and lemongrass flavor within a beer. That being said, the Belgian yeast and herbs overpower any hops or earthy characters this "IPA" might otherwise possess.

08-19-2011 19:15:25 | More by ehammond1
BrewtifulMind

3.43/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a 22 oz. Bottle into a Bruery tulip

Pours a yellow/gold color typical of a wit. Has a finger of head, but quickly dissipates leaving no lacing. There was a good amount of sediment and floaters also. Smells of coriander and citrus, really lacking of hops. To me, this tasted like any other belgian white. Nothing special, tastes like coriander, spices, and citrus, not very hoppy. Maybe I was expecting too much coming in to this thing. It has nice carbonation and went down smooth. Overall, this was a decent beer, but definitely not worthy of the IPA tag it carries. I wouldn't go out of my way to find this one again.

08-18-2011 23:48:13 | More by BrewtifulMind
vobr0002

3.43/5  rDev -14%

A- golden color, maybe a bit on the yellow side. White head.

S- wheat, lemon, citrus, pepper.

T- crisp, lemon grass flavor, spicy notes, bitter finish.

M- higher carbonation, lots of bubbles floating up. Good mouth feel.

O- its a decent beer but not one of my favorites. Still acquiring a taste for the Belgian ipas

11-20-2011 21:14:21 | More by vobr0002
harrymel

Washington

Vertabim from notes 16AUG11
Best by: 10NOV11

A: light grainy yellow ale with 2 fingers egg shell head. This falls quickly to a sheet of the same. No lace.

S: Jasmine up front for me, plenty floral. Wheat, otherwise not much going on here. (where's the IPA?)

T: A bit of creamy wit feel, and some really pleasant floral flavors. I like the flavor, but I'm confused on the IPA aspect of this beer. sure there is a hint of bitterness, but, um, yeah, whatever.

M: Moderate body with creamy feel and prickly carb.

O: Worth a try. Probably shoulda just called this a wit collab.

08-18-2011 00:11:27 | More by harrymel
Beaver13

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

22oz bottle, best by 11/10/11. Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a big creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is wheaty malts, a little soapy lemoney citrus and some wit spices - pepper, corriander.

The flavor is the same as the nose - sweet wheaty malts and lemon with the wit spices - pepper and corriander. There's some bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, tastes like a decent wit to me. I don't pick up much IPA characteristics. It has been a while, but I think the Boulevard seemed more hoppy to me.

08-23-2011 04:27:05 | More by Beaver13
DaveHS

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

A-Pours hazy blond with over an inch of creamy eggshell white head. Reduces slowly, leaving intricate rings of lacing.

S-Spicy wit bier goodness. Coriander, black pepper, orange peel, estery Belgian yeast. Dry, citrusy hops.

T/M-Slick Belgian yeastiness lays the foundation for dry, citrusy hoppiness. This would benefit from a bit more carbonation, to bring out the hop dryness and help with the mouth feel, which is too heavy and thick. Black pepper and coriander on the finish.

O-Decent. With adequate carbonation, this would be much better.

08-29-2011 23:04:06 | More by DaveHS
ccrida

Oregon

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a shaker pint, Conflux No. 2 is bright yellow with lots of floaties, and a white head leaving scattered lace.

Smell is citrus, lots of lemon.

Taste is all over the place, pretty complex. At first I'm tasting an acrid citrus spice-bomb, like chewing on coriander. Then I get some lemony hops, citra. And then, especially after a bite of cranberry in my salad, it's a barnyard brett attack. Oh, and it's yeasty, not esters, but yeast slurry. All three competing flavors (hops, spice, and brett) come off sharply bitter on the finish.

Mouthfeel is dry, light bodied.

Drinkability is ok. There's just a enough wit-like brightness to make it palatable, and it certainly wins points for being interesting...but the overall acridness doesn't warrant another pour. Would have preferred to have this fresh (best by date isn't until 11/10), it's already 3 months old and I'm sure the hop/brett ratio is rapidly skewing.

10-24-2011 23:07:02 | More by ccrida
jera1350

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a fizzy and thin head that leaves little lacing.

A nice hopped nose with some orange and spice.

Well hopped up front with notes of orange peel and spice from the yeast and I suppose spices. Big wheat presence as well. Basically a hopped up wit.

A bit thin and fizzy. Dry and lighter feeling.

This is a good hopped up wit beer. It's not really ground breaking and lacks interest in my opinion. Still a good and well crafted beer, but not interesting enough for me.

09-24-2011 15:59:25 | More by jera1350
Kegatron

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

22 oz bottle into a couple of tulip glasses. I picked this one up at the brewery in last early September and enjoyed it about a month later.

Pours a hazed gold initially, which does eventually clear out, with a finger of frothy bright-white head. This readily maintains a rich and foamy ½ finger, which leaves back a decent amount of sudsy looking lacing. The aroma is very airy feeling the nose, with grassand bubblegum notes and then a strong spicy mix of pepper and coriander. Zesty lemon and some greener bitter citrus round out the edges and work well with the crisp tanginess of the wheat in the back.

The taste is prickly feeling on the palate, with a sharp grassy and slightly piney bitterness that is made even bolder by the strong spiciness of this. The wheat base has a crisp bready twang to it and an almost tart feel that compliments the notes of lemon and orange peel that are present. The finish is dry, pithy, and very spicy, with an extra bit of lingering tartness hanging in there as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a little heavier feeling and sharp on top before getting more smooth and creamy on the tongue. You can definitely feel that 7% though, with some underlying alcohol heft that is holding this back for me.

While I found this to be quite unique, it ultimately just didn’t work that well for me. The combination of the spice from the Belgian yeast and the coriander coupled with the thickness of the wheat profile and then the big ABV on top of that just made even half this bottle tough to drink. Maybe even more of a hop presence might have lent this some needed crispness to help things go down a little easier. At any rate, it’s definitely different.

11-17-2011 19:16:25 | More by Kegatron
beertunes

Washington

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%

A "White IPA"? Do I judge it as an IPA or as a Wit? Inside of the cap said "Bravely Done". It's beer, how much bravery is really involved? It's been a while since I've had a beer with this many issues right upfront.

Poured into tall wine glass. Poured a nice golden white color, similar to a nice Triple, with a tall, over 2 inches, fluffy, white head that had moderate retention and left light to medium lacing.

The aroma had a lot of spice and yeast, much like a Wit, and didn't seem to have much of a hop profile. The was just a hint of the claimed orange peel and a nice bit of grain. On the tongue there was a crisp grain/wheat flavor to support the yeast and spiciness.

The body was surprisingly thin, but was crisp, clean and dry. Drinkability was pretty good, my 22 went away pretty quickly. Overall, a pretty nice, interesting brew. Worth trying if you see a bottle.

08-21-2011 22:03:07 | More by beertunes
illidurit

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Bottle shared at the September iteration of the Santa Cruz tasting series. Pours a hazy straw color with a wet white head. Orange, lime, grapefruit and coriander on the nose. Juicy witbier flavor profile with a fruit salad hoppiness and an aspirinic bitterness that tends toward astringency. A decent concept and a tasty beer but the finish is bringing it down.

09-13-2011 00:08:57 | More by illidurit
BearsOnAcid

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Hazy yellow color with a white bubbly head.

Some bubblegum on the nose. Estery yeast. Little bit of coriander spice from the yeast.

More belgian yeast spice in the taste. Moderately hoppy, I guess. Had to search a little until the bitterness hit on the finish. Slightly sweet and grainy. Lemony and refreshing. Very well hidden ABV. Slight phenolic note on the finish. Overall a little boring and not that hoppy.

10-13-2011 15:03:19 | More by BearsOnAcid
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Sampled August 2011
A steady pour, with just a hint of aggression, into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass produces a four finger thick, pale, tan tinged, cream colored head; this leaves some nice wispy lacing on the sides of the glass as it slowly subsides. The beer is a pale-amber / light gold color that shows a hazy, straw gold color when held up to the light. The beer smells quite herbal, with a fair amount of earthy spiciness and lots of dried hay / grass aromatics. I am not sure if spices were added to this, but there is a definite spicy presence to this beer, it definitely reminds me of coriander, perhaps a touch of white pepper and some woody ginger and lemon notes. There is a backdrop of more fruity, hop-like, citrus notes towards the end, though this almost plays a secondary role to the up front, though still subtle spiciness. There is a certain mustiness to the aroma here and it mixes with a dry, pale cracker like grain character.

There is a huge up front hop character that comes through quite a bit more clearly than it did in the aroma. There is a big, though dry, citrus zest character that has notes of Meyer Lemon, tart grapefruit zest, touches of tangelo zest and some lychee. Towards the middle and finish of this beer an earthy and grassy spiciness starts to kick in; it has notes of white pepper, lemon grass (with an emphasis on the grass portion), definite earthy coriander as well as some phenolics in the finish that contribute a slight, sort of plastic like note and perhaps some clove too (now that I have noticed the phenolics). The combination of hop notes (herbal and bitterness) with the earthy spiciness and the phenolics adds a bit of sharpness to the finish. The body of this beer is nice and light and quaffable, it has just enough character to not be overly thin though.

I wasn’t really aware that this had spices and a Belgian yeast used in the recipe. I am still not absolutely sure this is true, but it certainly seems like it as there are a whole lot of flavors in this beer that are not at all part of a traditional hop profile. Not at all what I was expecting, but it is still quite tasty and I am definitely enjoying this beer. I wouldn’t mind if the combination of sharp herbal / yeast / spice character in the finish was tempered quite a bit & I think a juicy hop fruit character (which is what I was expecting before having opened this beer) would really have been nice as well.

02-12-2012 18:41:00 | More by Gueuzedude
Clamwacker

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

Picked this up because I hadn't seen it before. I also got one with an exp date of 11-10-11... Weird.

The appearance might be my favorite part. This is the first beer I've poured where the head extruded itself out from the top of the glass. It is a bright yellow color, unfiltered, with clumps of yeast floating around amid the lively carbonation.

It smells like nothing else. The wheat is very present, but interestingly cut by citrusy hop aromatics.

The flavor is bright with a little hop bitterness, but overwhelmed by the wheat malt, with herbal notes in the background. Despite the relatively high alcohol content, I actually thought it tasted a little watered down almost.

The mouthfeel is negatively affected by the lightness of the body. The carbonation is pretty lively, but doesn't live long. By the second glass it was nearly flat, and the flavor doesn't seem to linger long, something I would like to see in a what brew.

12-20-2011 03:14:07 | More by Clamwacker
mithrascruor

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, pale golden peach color with a nice slightly off-white heads. Lots of visible sediment.

Smell: Good aroma of pine, sweet citrus, and some yeast.

Taste: Very mellow flavor up front, much like a wit, with lemon and some sweeter citrus. Hops come in later, with a bit of bitterness, but nothing overwhelming - the sweetness is always there. After some sips there's more pine apparent. Just a hint of yeast is present in the finish and aftertaste (along with lemon and a dash of pepper).

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and generally smooth. Pretty light carbonation.

Drinkability: Moderate ABV for this style, but a lot of sweetness creeps in after a while.

Sort of a cross between a wit and a Belgian IPA, this is a nice beer but I'm not quite sold on it. It is actually somewhat unbalanced on the sweet side.

09-22-2011 02:18:30 | More by mithrascruor