Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Conflux No. 2 - Deschutes Brewery

Conflux No. 2Conflux No. 2

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 07-26-2011

Brewed in Collaboration with Boulevard Brewing Co.; released July 2011.

Made with orange peel, coriander, lemongrass and sage.

See:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /423/68746  for the same recipe (with minor variances) brewed and bottled at Boulevard.

IBU: 49
ABV: 7.3%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Conflux No. 2 Alström Bros

A - Straw yellow colored beer with a bit of white head that leaves some decent lace and spots on the sides.

S - Citrus zest, corriander, pine and citrus hops. Has the approriate amount of yeast in there as well.

T - Some grass, floral notes, a bit of citrus and pine hops. Yeast is mellow enough not to overtake the beer and make it unpalatable.

M - Medium bodied, decently dry finish. Moderate carbonation.

O - Not bad, not my preferred style but this was decently drinkable and a nice hybrid beer. (503 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Took a while to find one of these bottles around here. Beer poured a pale straw yellow color, mostly clear though I did not agitate the bottle much prior to pouring the first half. I swirled up the remaining beer in the bomber prior to pouring more beer and the color turns a much hazier light straw yellow as I get the yeast in there. Initial two fingers of fluffy pure white head with plenty of large bubbles dissipated after a few minutes leaving some nice lacing on the glass, into a light film with a few bubbles along the surface. Only a bubble or two floating up every now and then, which is not what I was expecting. Thought there would be a bit more carbonation.

Nose is distinctly Belgian yeast, fruity esters, light coriander, pepper, and biscuit malts. A touch of light citrus peel, sweeter citrus lemon and orange, and some floral hops. This is relatively old at this point so it smells more like a witbier and less IPA.

A bit more bitter hop bite on the tongue, floral and herbal hops, with lemon pith, then yeast comes through with fruity esters, bubble gum, spicy pepper and coriander. Decent biscuit malt sweetness throughout, finishing slightly dry with some lingering herbal and citrus bitterness. Bitterness on the tongue grows as I drink more of the beer, emphasizing the citrus peel heavily and knocking most of the other flavors out of the way.

Light to medium body with a fairly prickly carbonation that hits the tongue pretty sharply. It was pretty easy to drink initially, but as the bitterness takes over, the flavor grows one dimensional with the hops overwhelming the Belgian characteristics. An interesting beer. (1,681 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -8%

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, pale golden peach color with a nice slightly off-white heads. Lots of visible sediment.

Smell: Good aroma of pine, sweet citrus, and some yeast.

Taste: Very mellow flavor up front, much like a wit, with lemon and some sweeter citrus. Hops come in later, with a bit of bitterness, but nothing overwhelming - the sweetness is always there. After some sips there's more pine apparent. Just a hint of yeast is present in the finish and aftertaste (along with lemon and a dash of pepper).

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and generally smooth. Pretty light carbonation.

Drinkability: Moderate ABV for this style, but a lot of sweetness creeps in after a while.

Sort of a cross between a wit and a Belgian IPA, this is a nice beer but I'm not quite sold on it. It is actually somewhat unbalanced on the sweet side. (868 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

A big thanks to Chris (Cavery) for generously sending me this beer for no reason. Cheers friend!

Appearance – Pours a hazy straw color into a tulip. About a finer of head is achieved with a normal pour that lingers around for quite some time and leaves spotty but nice looking lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – Definite white pepper spices, slight hops, coriander, lemon zest, and more citrus I can’t put my finger on.

Taste – Grassy floral notes, hops, lemon, and the white pepper shine through immediately. The Belgian yeast is a nice flavored one, rather than other strains I have had in the past that is “too” much for me. Honestly, this reminds me more of a saison than a Belgian IPA.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, prickly carbonation that continues the entire time, and finishes a hint dry.

Overall – A very quaffable and enjoyable beer. I really dug this and was wanting to do a side by side with the Boulevard version but had to open this tonight because I knocked the top and heard a faint hiss which made me thing it might lose its carbonation (and I left the other version at my brother-in-laws…oh well!). Though I know it is a cardinal sin to keep an IPA in ones cellar, I’d be interested to see what happened to this with a few months or a year on it. Glad I was able to try it! (1,321 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -5.5%

Thank you Jim (ratedz) for this, and the Boulevard version also.

A – Nice hay golden color, but a little on the hazy side. Smaller white head, but still decent.

S – A nice spice sent, some orange peal smell and sweet malt, some pine but not as dominate at the citrus.

T – This has a little more banana flavor than the Boulevard version, but still had the nice pine/grass hop flavor and a sweet malty taste.

M – Medium bodied, but not as light as the Boulevards. Decent and very drinkable.

O – This has a little more wheat to it than the Boulevard version, it’s still good and if I hadn’t had them side by side I would have liked this one more, but IMO the Boulevard version is the dominantly better brew.

* reviewed beside the Boulevard No 2. (768 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Was roped into trying this after not enjoying the Boulevard version, but finding out that it was a different beer. Thanks for sending this along Don, because you are right, this is a totally different, and much better beer.

Poured is a hazy pale-yellow with some very minor floaties and a nice cap of white head. The smell is of wheat, lemon, lemon rind, coriander, and a very mild presence of hops. Really nice and inviting. Brings you in. Smells like a phenomenal lawnmower/summer beer. The taste follows really nicely. Like a mildly hopped, lighter wheat ale. Sometimes hefes can be just a touch heavy or sweet, whereas this is light and almost has some saison-like qualities. Lemon, pepper, wheat, a mild hop bitterness, some spices (but not much in the way of clove or banana). Mildly dry. If this is what a white IPA is, welcome to my new favorite summer seasonal. The mouthfeel is medium to light with a solid amount of carbonation. Pretty shocking that this is 7.3%. I feel like you could make a child version of this at 5% that might actually make it a touch more appealing. This was a real winner from a beer I had little to no expectation for. (1,156 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Pours an extremely pale gold color. Slightly hazy with high carbonation. About 1 1/2" of pure white head forms that has great retention, and decent lacing.

Smell: Very citrusy on the nose. Some orange rind present, maybe a bit of pineapple. Some wheaty malts present as well. A bit yeasty. Very nice.

Taste: I detect the wheat malts up front, followed by citrus, namely orange rind. A bit yeasty as well. Some fruity esters appear on the back end. I am struck by how clean tasting it is. I like it.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied, as is to be expected. Very fine, abundant carbonation. Great, as far as I'm concerned. Overall, I was very pleased with this beer. Very clean flavors that that seem devoid of alcohol presence. I will definitely buy some more of this. (780 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a sniffer, thanks to Dajtai007 for sharing this one.

Appearance: Pale straw yellow with a fluffy white head about two fingers thick that slowly recedes to a thin lacing and clings to the side of the glass.

Aroma: Grapefruit, pineapple, citrus, and subtle pine. More fruity then the Boulevard version.

Taste: Pine, grapefruit, citrus with a light malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body with medium to high carbonation, easy to drink and clean, with a dry lingering finish.

Overall: Basically the exact same beer as the Boulevard version. Only discernible difference for me was the taste was more clean in the Deschutes version. (654 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -64.4%

I normally don't give a beer such low reviews unless I truly disliked it. My first "F" rating here on BA.

I drank this yesterday; or rather, about close to 1/2 of it before I gave it back for another beer at the Toronado SF.

I'm hoping the keg was bad *OR* the lines were dirty *OR* the glass still had cleaning chemicals in it after the wash.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripple is my favorite of this style and as I didn't expect this beer to be similar, I expected to like it as I am a fan of the style.

All I can say is that this beer both smelled and tasted I assume the same as if I mixed all my cleaning products under the sink together and brewed a beer with them. I love Belgians and I love IPAs and I very much like Belgian IPAs. I found neither of those three characteristics in this beer.

Everything about it turned me off. Possibly my worst career experience with craft. (891 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Tasted 12 September 2011. Bottle says best by 10 November 2011. Just hit shelves a couple weeks ago, so I know it's pretty fresh.

Pours a slightly hazy, translucent, bright golden yellow. I love the color, so alive. Fluffy one-finger white head, great retention, nice sticky lacing. Streams of bubbles rising up through the glass. Very pretty.

Smells like a hopped-up wit. And as with Boulevard's version of this beer, that's a very good thing. Definitely more hops in the nose than in the Blvd version, mostly pine. But they're still in the background, while the full fruity yeast and spice are very much in the foreground. The smell is rounded, soft on the edges, with everything blending in great harmony. I love it.

Taste is less balanced and not quite up to the composed togetherness of the smell. While still very good, it's a bit more of a clash between the bitterness of the hops and the wheaty fulness of the wit. I still like the flavors together, but in this case there's a sense that they're fighting rather than dancing with each other. Finish is mildly bitter and long, with a prickly dryness.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side. Decent carbonation, thin body. Medium-long finish.

A very tasty beer all around. I think this combination (Belgian wit plus IPA) is destined to be a popular one, as it just works so well. In this case, I think Boulevard executed it a little better than Deschutes, but they're both very good. The combination of the spiciness and fruity yeast characteristics with the light bite of the hops is wonderful. (1,555 characters)

Reviewed on 8/11/11

Poured in to a tulip. 2 finger, fluffy white head. Pale amber, clear body.

Smell wasn't very IPA-like. Big orange and coriander aroma. Some peppery spice. Mild bitterness. Kinda citrust and floral with a mild maltiness.

Taste starts off with peppery, coriander and a mild maltiness. Moves towards a citrusy and floral hop flavor and then a mild bitterness. Some wheat and grainy flavors.

Mouthfeel feel had medium body with medium/high carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall it was pretty tasty with very good drinkability. So signs of abv and it was refreshing. (587 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle shared at the September iteration of the Santa Cruz tasting series. Pours a hazy straw color with a wet white head. Orange, lime, grapefruit and coriander on the nose. Juicy witbier flavor profile with a fruit salad hoppiness and an aspirinic bitterness that tends toward astringency. A decent concept and a tasty beer but the finish is bringing it down. (361 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12%

A: hazy straw colored beer with fairly bright white foam. Some sediment in the bottle so decant carefully or get particles

S: lovely spicy aroma and plenty of esters, clear Belgian influence, reminds me of a very aromatic wit

T: lively and spicy, with pepper and lemon zest, and distinctive "wit beer" yeast character, with a clean light finish

M: on the lighter side of a medium body, and very effervescent and lively,

O: Gorgeous, complex and very drinkable, I really enjoyed this beer. Although it is called a "White India Pale Ale" to me it is not at all like an IPA and much more like a bigger version of a wit beer. (625 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

806th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
22oz

2011

App- Much more of a denser IPA color. A bit of orange and golden yellow mixed in. A nice puffy and pulled apart two finger head. A little fade down to a single and not a lot of cling or lace.

Smell- Retains the scents of the other collaboration with Blvd but this has a muted coriander and spice note and instead kicks up the NW hops and adds a little more hoppy and bitter.

Taste- I love Blvd smokestack series and this was another good beer for me. Very light and drinkable with a balance of a juicy hops and maybe a touch of bitter. I was surprised to find a bottle of Conflux and wanted to compare the two. This was more mellow and less Wit and was smoothed out by the grapefruit hops. A nice flip side to the other recipe.

Mouth- A medium bodied beer with a medium carbonation and a nice juicy feel to it. A good hoppy/wit residual flavor.

Drink- I hate to say this but this one is the better version. A nice sweeter and juicier taste without the over abundance of the spice. (1,031 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +15%

Picked this up in steamboat springs

Appearance: Pale gold/straw colored with a great big head that was pure white and made of big, fragile bubbles.

Aroma: Hoppy zest paired with spicy and yeasty wheat. It is sweet and peppery with hints of lemon.

Flavor: Peppery wheat flavors explode, but are reigned in by lemon citrus from the hops. The hop character is quite Northwest, contributing great sweetness with bitterness to balance, not overwhelm. The finish is dry, with nice woody/earthy taste. A very tasty beer.

MF: Medium-bodied, much like a wheat or light belgian ale. Finish is crisp and the flavor is lingering until the next drink. (644 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Pours a hazy pale golden colour, finger of big bubbled head with little retention or lacing.

S - Very fruity with some citrus hops, pineapple, cloves and pine notes all coming through.

T - The fresh citrus hops come through nicely off the top and the pineapple and clove flavours linger on the tongue. A very tasty Belgian IPA and perfectly balanced with a solid hop presence and the fruity Belgian flavours.

M - Very refreshing and light, goes down smooth and finishes surprisingly wet.

O - Very glad I was able to try a bottle of this stuff. Definitely worthwhile picking up if you like the style. (607 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

I had the Boulevard collaberation beer a little while ago and I alsolutely loved it. Anxious to try one of my favorite breweries version. Very pale yellow color with a massive head that had excellant retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma is medicanal and herbal. There is a faint hint of pale malt. Anything citrus, as proclaimed on the label, is lost to me.

This beer is even less witbier like than Boulevards version. Very little of the malt and yeast base gets past all the hop and herb flavor. Lemongrass and sage is detectable. Bitterness is moderate to high.

Light body with lively carbonation that stops short of being harsh. The carbonation helps in dealing with the bitterness.

I prefered the Boulevard version of the collaberation. It seemed deeper and more complex. But this is still a good example of a Belgian IPA. (891 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Sent to me by my brother Klym, a collaboration I'd been meaning to try but couldn't find a bottle locally, cheers for that. Let's give it a whirl!

A: Really mellow pear flesh yellow with only the slightest orange character. Foggy but with no apparent sediment, lots of nano-bubble white foams cling to the glass like pencil depictions of waves in japanese art. A thin film of egg-shell foams sits above the pear flesh for a sophisticated beer look. This could definitely pass for a witbier.

S: Whoa lavender, rosemary and some peppery arugula. The hops come through in a light green plant leafy sting, but man what yeast character is in this beer. Totally not what I'd associate with an IPA, and definitely comes off more witbier (once again) to me. That said, I really like the smell, and it seems to be really balanced in the nose. No real overpowering elements, rather a bouquet of herbal perfumes. A slight apple cider note breaks through riding leafy hops.

T: Really yummy pear cider flavors that gives into a bit of yellow raspberry sweetness. Love the peppery seasoning that the yeast gives throughout, it doesn't hit you in a giant bready wallop, rather it rides all the other flavors just like a light marinade or seasoning. Floral characters are undeniable throughout, but they come off really earthy and light. Makes me think of golden beats, and it does really well with the other flavors in here. Little bits of pickled herbs that seem to mesh really well. Really think this is pretty delicious.

M: Super nice satin glove in the mouth that is crisp with microfiber textures. This is drying but nowhere near cottonmouth, but still on the drier side. I like the light humidity it leaves in the mouth, as it really accentuates the floral perfume characters. Lots of pungent lingers are made possible by the coating mouth that holds the beer like a weak adhesive. This creates a moist cave filled with spores firing strong aromatics. A foamy mouth feel that doesn't come off cheap.

O: I think as far as Belgian IPAs, this is one of the better ones I've had. I think this at times borders on witbier (I believe the label indicates boulevard added some wheat to this recipe?) and thats not a bad thing. This is a really successful collaboration that has created a refined and elegant recipe. I think this beer has a great deal of crossover for a lot of drinkers. Fans of Belgian styles will be pleased with the constant yeast presence, IPA drinkers will appreciate the aromatics and fancy hop presence; while craft drinkers will marvel at its balance. This is an exceptionally balanced Belgian IPA, would like to see both breweries adopt the recipe as a base beer for some other project. I think this could be taken to more interesting places yet. (2,761 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

Tasty and light. Supremely worthy.

Pours a radioactive bright yellow with a fluffy white sediment, making a vigorous pour come off like a snow globe.

The aroma is fruity and wheaty, with a sharp phenolic bite that mellows as the beer warms and the fruit catches up, bringing apricot and plum.

The flavor is fruity and phenolic, with stone fruit, peach, nectarine, apricot, with a lemony bite on the end and a hint of sweetness on the finish Down the throat, it is sweet and round, with a little aspirin and cumin.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy and smooth. (566 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a bottle purchased at Belmont Station in PDX into a tulip. Pours a light hazy yellow with quickly dissipating head and good lacing. Combination of citrus and wheat on the nose. This is billed as a White IPA, but it's really for all intents and purposes a wheat wine. A little thin and astringent in the mouthfeel, though the alcohol is hidden pretty well for a 7% plus. A little odd, easier to appreciate than actually drink. (437 characters)

I did a side by side tasting with the Collaboration #2.

22oz bottle poured into a Deschutes Snifter glass.

A - Pours a very light orange with a two finger head. Lighter in color and less head than the Collaboration version. Better retention and lacing as well.

S - Slight Belgian yeast, lemony and some pepper.

T - Lemon-grass, hoppy grassy flavors.

D - Good carbonation and light body.

O - More light hoppy and citrusy than the Collaboration version. I preferred this take over the Collaboration #2. (506 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +24.1%

Came into this one blind, not knowing what to expect, and it immediately became one of my all time favorites. If citrus-smelling strong IPAs and Belgian-style blonds are your thing, then this combination is the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup analog in the craft beer world. Complex, yet highly drinkable.

A: Beautiful, cloudy sunrise with a 1 1/2 finger foamy white head that dissipates into a nice sticky lacing.

S: This beer had me at smell-o. All orange zest with a hint of spice. This is what I long for my DIPAs to smell like.

T: You get it all -- the citrus, the coriander, the Belgian funkiness, with a hoppy bitterness that starts in the background but crescendos until it's the only thing left at the end. Wow. Amazingly complex, and yet incredibly drinkable. And I really appreciated the lack of anything remotely resembling syrupiness.

M: With everything going on, I was pleased with the clean and somewhat dry finish.

What can I say. For me, this is what it's all about. (983 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

I had this brew a couple months ago but didn't get a chance to review it proper so here goes...

A nice hazy yellow pour from a 22oz bottle into my goblet produced a nice frothy white head. Dissipated quickly, with minimal lacing. Copious particulate.

Smell is Belgian: spicy and yeasty.

Still not very experienced with these Belgian ales; it has some fruity/citrusy taste upfront, followed by some yeast funk and spice, rounded out by a nice hop finish.

Medium bodied with great carbonation. Lots of tiny little bubbles. Very drinkable.

Overall this is a solid brew, and I will definitely look into Boulevard. I can't say it's great, and maybe I'm just ignorant but it didn't have the hops to support an IPA. Maybe thats just coming from a hop-head who loves a strong American IPA. However, for 7.30% this is a complex and drinkable beer that I would buy again. Cheers! (874 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22 oz. bomber to a Boulevard Smokestack tulip. Best by 11/10/2011.

A: Lemon yellow with an amazing amount of unfiltered particulate in suspension. A frothy white head billowed up high, but didn't leave much after dissipating. Nice lacing.

S: A very Belgian nose with banana, bubblegum, wheat, and coriander.

T: Orange peel and sweet bubblegum yields to lemon and wheat with a finish of hops and coriander. A bit of alcohol lingers. Very nicely done.

M: Smooth and light-bodied with a touch of creaminess. Extremely drinkable. The hops dries the finish and there is a glowing warmth of alcohol at the finish as well.

O: I sampled the Boulevard companion to this collaboration the week after release, and judging by memory, I enjoy this version better. I'll be reviewing the Boulevard mate soon, though, so we'll see if memory serves. A trippel/pale wheat ale/IPA combo that is definitely worth trying. (919 characters)

A Pours a nice light gold with nice 2 finger white head

S citrus, pine, hops and sweet malt

T extremely well balanced beer. Citrus, mild sweetness and slight bitter hops.

M light viscosity nice carbonation . This beer goes down smooth.

O outstanding beer. Very impressed with the balance. (295 characters)

Conflux No. 2 from Deschutes Brewery