The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.
Ratings: 607 | Reviews: 231

It's my favorite drink. The hue of it hummed. The body is not too sweet, chewy but subtly dry. Wonderful phenols from the yeast... I miss this drink

Cellared above 45 degrees for a year, and worth the time... without a doubt.

Unbelievable. I'm not sure if this beer it that remarkable or if its my love of quads coming through after not having had one in awhile. The look, the smell, the flavors, the texture, it has it all. I have to say it is a 5.0.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

Suprised how light and clear this looks for a quad. I am used to thick dark quads and this is definitely more belgian to me.

a little bit of spices, a lot of carbonation, and almost a cidery type taste. Very delicious beer, one to stock up on for sure.

The 11% is hidden very well and easy to drink, i could get carried away on this one really quick.

Overall this really is an excellent beer, easily in my top 10.

4.59/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from a 22 into a snifter. Best by date of 8/4/12

Pours a burnt gold color with a white head of solid-looking foam that quickly disperses into floating islands of foam. The nose is big and complex, with very strong alcohol and yeast that does not quite overpower the subtleties of grapes, coriander, lavender and pepper. This beer is delicious! Maybe I should drink more belgians, but this one was quite good. Simple and extremely flavorful. Sweet and light, like a medium white wine. Lemon and coriander are subtle tones that bow down before an entrance of oak and earthiness. The finish could have been a little more crisp, but that is my only main complaint.

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

A - Golden copper brew with a viscous body, high carbonation and a lot of foamy head. Thick bands of lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - Grassy hops, citrus pith, pineapple, caramel malt and apricot.

T - Apricot, pineapple, honey, pine, grapefruit pith, lemon pith. Aftertaste of light bitter caramel malt and grapefruit pith.

M - Smooth, thick, creamy, refreshing. Top notch.

D - Fantastic. Deschutes does it again. This brewery always delivers. It's hard to drink too much of it, but it is great. 12 oz bottles of this would be amazing.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from a really cool looking bottle with black wax helping to seal the cap. The cap tells me "bravely done". It's an opaque deep amber with quite a bit of sediment floating. Not as much head as I had hoped for.

smells a bit like earth, but mostly like wine. If I didn't know any better, I would think I was smelling a glass of wine. Mostly white grapes, I think

Taste is grapes, and fruit. Maybe some alcohol, a little bit of hop. After reading some of the other reviews, I think that the hop that I'm getting is actually the pomegranite. I really don't get much flavor out of this one, it reminds me of a red wine.

The mouthfeel was a bit strange. To see the glass, there was very little carbonation, but in the mouth, it was quite sharp and clean. I think that the mouthfeel and drinkability was the best thing about this one.

If I see this one again, I may pick up another bottle and keep it for at least a year, and try it again.

Update**

Had this on tap, in a snifter.

Golden orange color with small head and decent lacing.

Smelled like earth and spices and honey

Taste like bubblegum, yeast, spice, honey, alcohol and maple syrup.

Crisp and sharp mouthfeel that left a creamy coating on the tonque.

I wasn't terribly impressed with this from the bottle, but on tap, I absolutely loved it.

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amazing. Belgian yeast (actually a pretty light touch) along with some strong sweetness from the malt. Sweet like a good barleywine would be, a sweetness that seems totally natural in this context. Most beers that are in the style don't choose to go so sweet, but for this beer it really, really works. Absolutely my new favorite.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

22 oz wax-dipped bottle poured into a snifter.
Best By 08/04/12, 11% ABV

Thanks to Wisrarebeer for this bottle!

A - Bright maple golden in color, The Stoic is a light-colored quad with just slight cloudiness hazing it. The densely-packed ivory head dots the snifter in lace as it settles slowly.

S - Abundantly spicy, The Stoic showcases Belgian yeast doin' it's thing; earthy clay, cardamom, coriander seed, and trances of banana Runt fruitiness. The complexity goes much deeper, however; fruity alcohol including raisin and light cherry, oak-infused white grapes, and a very faint vinegar-like wine aspect. Sharp rye whiskey is noticeable through the finish but almost as an afterthought in how complex the beer smells.

T - Yeast takes center stage again, pushing past all the other goings-on to provide light banana and spicy earth notes. Pomegranate is much more noticeable and serves the beer well with it's underlying wine characteristics. Sweet white grape and warm, boozy alcohol immediately follow and segue into the caramel-malty finish.

M - Warming phenol alcohol is strong in this one! Subtle-yet-gripping, it faintly things out the round, full-bodied mouthfeel that finishes with a tickle of higher carbonation. Lip-smacking dryness is welcome as it begs for another sip, quietly, without being bothersome.

O - Similar to a lightly spiced holiday dessert wine, The Stoic exudes significant complexity. Within it's extensive production process, this classic style undergoes a wonderful transformation into an elegant sipping beer with a broad depth of unique flavors to satisfy even the most discerning palate.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

A - Pours apricot, cloudy. Nice off white head leaves to disk fast. Moderate cling lace.

S - Very fruity. Tropical fruity and Belgian funk.

T - Best part. LOVE this. Juicy fruit, candy, Belgian estery yeast and a little bitter at end. I don't give out fives often, but I can't see how this taste could be better. Alcohol pretty well hidden.

M - Medium body, good carb and excellent balance.

D - Despite the ABV, would not tire quickly.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured into a tulip

a- poured a clean, bright, nice dark golden, almost orange. thick white head from free pour. left a thin thin head, with a good amount of lacing

s- i can smell light hops, citrus, pomegranate. wisp of the rye, and oak. with a slight tartness from the wine barrel.

t- light fruit note, rye and oak. some funk form the wine, tartness. nice long finish

m- surprisingly thin for the abv, nice a bubbly. great carbonation

o- this beer is very different in its self. i can see the argument on it not being a true belgian quad. but maybe thats why i like it so much? great complexity, very balance. blends a lot of different qualities of beer into one. very unique, i enjoy this beer a lot.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Wine glass.

A: Rich orange-tinged gold. One finger head dissipates quickly leaving some suds. Legs like wine and a fine lacing. Champagne bubbles. Lookin good.

S: A sweet and spicy floral bouquet with banana esters outstanding, some Belgian yeasts, and a touch of pear on the side.

T: Spicy clove phenols and a little salty upfront with the alcohol warmth coming on strong and never really leaving--nice for a November night indeed. Some light fruits, but they are really overpowered by the spiciness and alcohol warmth. With such a strong beginning, the ending is a bit of a letdown (or maybe a cooling off period if you prefer to be more positive). There are some faint hints of banana in the aftertaste, and the oak also comes through a bit. Some white wine hints as it warms. Interesting.

M: Curious mouthfeel, with the alcohol and carb dueling for control. There's a ton of warmth and a pleasant viscous coating. A lot going on here, and although it may be overbearing to some, I enjoy it.

I haven't had too many quads, with Pannepot being my favorite experience of this style, and although this is unlike that brew I rather enjoyed it's unique style and quirky characteristics. Also, very big.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from 22oz bomber to over-sized Mikkeller wine glass. Best by 08/04/12. I thought this one would be a worthy candidate for aging but if they insist otherwise, who am I to disagree?

Pours a hazy gold with hints of brown and ruby. A finger of sticky, well-laced head suggests a bit of alcohol.

What a bright smelling beer... overripe cherries, mellow woods, dates, some spicy yeast, licorice, plum, lots of goodness.

Tons of balance. No discernible alcohol presence. Those standard quad fruits make an obvious appearance. Bits of vanilla and caramel come with the wood notes. There's a lot here and it evolves continuously with warmth.

A great beer that I think just has too much going on if you're seeking a run-of-the-mill Belgian style quad. If you know what to expect, though, you'll keep coming back for more.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Last bottle from the Natomas Bevmo, the first I had seen of it.

Poured from a waxed bomber. Delightful light copper with a white quickly dissolving head.

Smells pleasantly malt sweet with solid Belgian fruity esters, caramel as well. Quite inviting, and no boozieness despite the 11%.

Taste, in a word, beautiful. Lots of belgian spiceness and esters, with a nice residual sweetness that I imagine would go away with age. It isn't super complex, and is actually really easy drinking for a quad, but it is nice. The wife even enjoys this one.

I guess if I had to describe this, I would call this an easy drinking quad (at least at present)- but overall just a really good beer. While this isn't as complex as the other beers in their reserve series, I find myself still really enjoying this brew. I will definitely pick up a few bottles to age and see how it gets more complex.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well rounded quad. I did not taste the whiskey barrel at all. Beautiful beer to look s. Great color. A easy drinker and very refreshing.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured a deep caramel color with one finger white head. The tiny bubbles are like an eye candy appetizer for the beer. The nose suggests its complexities with caramel, spices, sweet fruit, and pungent lemon and banana notes over the course of my 22 oz bomber. The carbonation makes this light and airy to offset the sweet caramel sugar taste. There is a citrusy taste in there somewhere, along with some sweeter fruit flavors, like you might get in dried fruit. Ends in an alcohol burn that isn't too harsh and fades slowly. This beer has a notably silky mouthfeel.

I'm really digging this beer. I noticed the subtleties over the course of the bomber and as it warmed up. This is a complex beer, but it isn't too complex. It's a beer that lets you know it's got some depth but doesn't flaunt it in your face, and I like that. I could go for another 22 ouncer, but the 11% ABV says I shouldn't. I had to remind myself of the ABV since it hides it so well with the noticeable but not over the top candy sugar. Excuse me while I go to my local liquor store to stock up.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a nice clear amber color, bubbly head that disspiates quickly not much lacing
S: Smells fruity (Bananas,apple, pear, dark fruits), clove and of Belgian yeast.
T: Much the same as the smell, taste is nice and fruity, also some wine and earthy flavors in there as well
M: Medium bodied, good finish. Alcohol is very well hidden
O: This is not a typical quad but i love it...very complex and tasty. I'd get this one again for sure.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap last night at the Deschutes Portland Brewpub, was surprised to see it both in bottles and on tap last night yet no one had reviewed it. Either way, poured from the tap into a snifter.

Appearance: Amber-gold hued, with tiny bubbles of very low carbonation. Lacing was very minimal, head dissipated pretty quickly upon the pour. Much lighter in tone than I expected. Nothing special in this sense.

Smell: Initial aroma when cooler was of a sweet nectar, with hints of raisin, fig, molasses and the slightest bit of anise. Pomegranate was apparent from the get-go, but it took me a minute to put my finger on what exactly the sweetness was really coming from. Sweet from the start, with the yeast lending a very light bubble-gum ester as well. As it warmed, the oaky character came through more and more, along with the dark fruity esters paired just a hint of chocolaty bourbon, but much less so than the Chardonnay overtones from the oaky pomegranate.

Taste: Really a developer of a beer as it warms. Much like in the nose, the beer is definitely still sweet; I'd imagine it getting significantly more rounded out over the coming months/years and becoming a significantly different beer. The residual sweetness is relatively high, with pomegranate and molasses overtones pronounced throughout. The oak, which was muted at first, really became more prominent as the beer warmed, and much to the benefit of the flavor profile. The flavors seemed to be coming from several different directions, but they really benefited from warming to room temperature. Alcohol burn is mild, but the booze in the finish work as well as anything else in the beer, as it pairs very smoothly with the sweet, vanilla-esque finish.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat sticky from the sweetness and lack of heavy carbonation. I think the low-carbonation works for the beer, but I would not have minded a hint more. With a beer this thick, sweet, and chewy, a little more CO2 here and there would not have been terrible. However, the warm, resiny feel does grow on you as it goes.

Drinkability/Overall: I haven't had a beer this interesting in a while. Lots of flavor components, great character and evolution as the beer warmed, and tasty right to the finish. I almost had another one afterward, but instead decided to pick up a few bottles for down the line. Who knows? Maybe like the actual drinking of the beer, perhaps it will get better the longer it lingers.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stoic - one apparently or professedly indifferent to pleasure or pain, according to the dictionary. This, I don't think, exemplifies Deschutes. But, when it comes to innovating in the face of naysayers, then The Stoic seems apt. When I first tasted this at the brewery in April (beer mail me for details if you wish), I thought it should be named The Sophist, for the "wise one." Deschutes is not indifferent to brewing great beer, and for innovating, just indifferent to the fads, trends, of the craft brew industry, and perhaps the opinion of others. For this, I am a thankful, loyal, customer.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Deschutes snifter. Paid $12.99 at Capital Market in Salem; may have bought the last 3 bottles in town - glad I have two more. Love the artwork on the label; very nostalgic. Reminiscent of my Renaissance and Reformation era studies in college.

A-Pours a slightly hazy copper-orange hue, thankfully without yeast particles, with a two finger, egg shell white head with modest retention and some lacing.

S-Fruity, malty, sweet, and sour (in a pleasant way - from the yeast I suspect). Nice aroma is dominated by dark dried fruits like raisins, figs, dates, but also bananas, caramel malts, and spices. More fruit than sweetness.

T-Prominent flavors include orchard fruits like peaches and pears, with raisins and caramel undertones present. Also, there is more bitterness than the 20 IBUs would suggest from the hops. Perhaps it is from the time spent in Oak Rye Whiskey Barrels. Whatever the cause, the taste is great. Not everything a Belgian Quad enthusiast might want, but I consider this, and positively so, an Americanized, aka bastardized, Belgian-styled quad. The Belgian yeast is clearly present, but I suspect, given Deschutes' reputation, artful use of hops (something Belgians are not nearly as acquainted with) contributed to the "stirring depth & complexity" I experienced.

M-Very smooth for 11% ABV. Carbonation level is spot on. Alcohol is only noticeable form the barrel aging. Remarkable in a beer of this gravity.

O-Drinkability is awesome for a beer this big. I like what Deschutes has done with this. In fact, I liked it before the barrel aging. I do hope Deschutes will continue its innovative forays into the craft brew world after Larry Sidor's departure. Best wishes to Larry in his new endeavors. I believe there is room for more breweries to accompany craft brew icons like Deschutes, which Sidor helped make.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

I'm just going to say that while this beer is not a quad by any sort of measure, it is an extremely tasty brew with light barrel aging.

If you can get past the labeling, you're in for a tasty, light, yet high abv beer that is well suited for hotter days on your porch.

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Koningshoven chalice. Best by 4 August 2012. Batch H. 11% ABV.

A: No head. Golden hazy-bright. Pale for a quad.

S: Strong and very sweet. Heavy, spicy fruit. Touch of vanilla. Heavy alcohol.

T: This is a damned good beer. Spicy, layered, and delicate. Deep grapes, heavy liquored fruits, and spicy-tart dessert. Engaging, though not transcendental Belgian yeast. I might not be able to differentiate this from a Belgian quad (which is a huge compliment). Tart alcohol reminds me distinctly of a pina colada...both pineapple and coconut are inexplicably (but undeniably) present. The finish is pleasant and reminiscent of fresh peach.

M: Nice, but unnoticeable.

O: A great beer and an exceptional quad. Highly recommend to (and drinkable by) all. Will have again.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a brillant rose-tinged orange amber into a tulip with a finger of tight white head and lots of bubbles. Aroma of yeasty banana, honey, and light clove.

Slightly high carbonation and a light, crisp mouthfeel. Hints of cherry up front followed by honey/caramel sweetness, banana, and some more mild spice followed by a rush of boozy warmth. Lingering notes of oak and pomegranate.

Full-flavored and not overly sweet. Doesn't conceal the higher ABV, but remains pretty darn easy-drinking nonetheless.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

From the waxed bomber into a large wine glass results in a brilliant amber body capped by a thin head that dissipates pretty quickly, small bubbles continue up through the body for the entire glass.
Aroma is interesting and unique, I'm getting some clove, fresh bread, yeast (Belgian) astringency like fresh laid linoleum overall appealing.
Taste is, well, unexpected, unique, don't think I've ever had a beer quite like this, it's sweet, up front with a nice yeasty back, I guess it's the rye barrels that give it a kind of spicy twang, maybe it's the pomegranate, whatever, It's a unique brew that stands on it's own.
11% doesn't show itself at all, rather refreshing more than heavy.
Don't know what to call this beast except tasty, it will be interesting to update this one after a year or so in the cellar.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: pours a dark orange / copper color with a short 1/4" head that breaks apart quickly.

Smell: fruit and some alcohol create a great nose.

Taste: caramel, pomegranite, some light oak tones, very mild bitterness, and a warm alcohol burn create a tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Lightly crisp to start, smooth and a bit dry at the finish. Aftertaste is long lasting.

Overall: a very slow sipping but big flavored beer. The flavors really grow as this one warms. Very enjoyable on tap.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Pours a very hazy golden-orange color with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of Belgian yeast esters including banana and clove, sweet caramel malts, candi sugars, oak, wine grape, vanilla, pomegranate, a bit of lemon, and some booze.

T - Starts off with some Belgian yeast with banana, clove, and bit of coriander, with some caramel malts and candi sugars, and a bit of vanilla. Through the middle, some oak and vanilla comes through with a bit of wine grapes, Bourbon, and a bit of dark fruit and pomegranate. The finish is a mix of Belgian yeast flavors with some banana, clove, oak, grape, pomegranate, candi sugar, and some booze.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and warming finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice balance of flavors and the barrel aging adds to the beer nicely. Not really a Quad, but still very tasty.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

I bought this to try a quad that had been aged, it turns out this is a great beer to introduce someone to a mellow quad style beer. I went out and purchased another bottle, relatively expensive for it's size, but it makes a great presentation.

This is a very smooth beer with a lot of fruity flavor. It is about the easiest drinking 11% quad you will encounter. I agree with the previous reviews that it does pick up a wine quality from the barrel aging. I am ranking this pretty high due to the smoothness of this Quad. I was surprised by it!

Deschutes did a collaboration with my fav brewery, Boulevard, and they are just now moving into Missouri. Welcome! I am glad you are here.

The Stoic from Deschutes Brewery