The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

The StoicThe Stoic

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011)

SIEVS, Feb 08, 2012

drummermattie02, Dec 12, 2011
1.84/5  rDev -52%

Chill57, Aug 31, 2014

Gonzoillini, May 17, 2012

Drank at the Portland Deschutes Pub for lunch.

A: Center of the clear gold spectrum with a finger of snow white foam on top. This looks very pale and nothing like any Quad I've ever seen. Minimal legs and minimal lacing. 2/5

S: Light banana, booze, and some non-specific fruitiness. The depth is lacking and my interest is waning. 2/5

T: Obscure fruits including banana, mildly sweet, a touch of wood. The lack of alcohol presence in a beer of this size is rarely missed but I'm wishing it was here this time if only to give a little complexity. This is startlingly bland for a beer trying to fit in a style known for complexity. Where are the big fruits and flavorful sugars? This just seems like a simple/non-offensive grain bill with some Belgian yeast tossed in. The description has a bunch of good buzz words and sounds thoughtfully planned, but what I'm tasting seems uninspired. 2/5

M: This falls into the gray area at the upper side of thin and the lower side of moderate. Any thinner, and I'm calling this a Belgian Trippel (it might be more appropriate to fit it in there anyway). High carbonation makes this finish cleanly and dry. 2/5

O: Sometimes, I'm a little more lenient on rating a beer if I enjoy it regardless of the style placed on it by the beer drinking public. Deschutes pigeon-holed themselves though by calling this a Quad in the first place. Admittedly I'm not very experienced in the Quad style. I can think of at least one other beer lover who is more versed and would "know best". I have however tried some of the higher rated Quads available in America. They all typically share similar characteristics; deep layers of complexity, big fruits, heavy sugars, and an unabashed booziness. This literally shares none of those attributes. From top to bottom, I can't think of a better definition for "not impressed". It's not offensive, but it's definitely not up to my expectations for the style. Easily the most forgettable and weakest of the Deschutes Reserve Series so far. 2/5

hopsbreath, Aug 17, 2011

From 22oz black wax dipped bottle to CBS snifter on 5/12/12
*From notes

A: Clean, slightly chill hazy orange-amber in hue. A standard pour yields a 1.25 finger white head. No real lacing, decent collar.

S: Ugh. A Quad that smells like chipotle chilis. Awesome. It's got this odd, Mexican spice vibe that is wholly unlikable. As it warms, I do get a touch of Sauvignon Blanc must.

T: Not good. Not good at all. Pork fat and liquid smoke reign supreme. Letting this warm does nothing for the beer, as I begin to get an overload of rotting pimento. There's a kick of sweetness on the finish that sticks out like a sore thumb. Not a single facet of the flavor profile succeeds in accomplishing anything remotely close to average or above.

M: Well the carbonation is pretty pleasant. The weight could be better, but it's not out of line, just a bit lacking.

O: After falling in love with Hardywood's Bourbon Cru (a Bourbon Barrel Quad) the night before, I was stoked to finally break into my one and only bottle of the Stoic. You can imagine my disappointment and frustration with what I found. This should have been an exceptional beer, all the elements are there for success. Yet in the end, the finished product comes nowhere close to quaffable.

A major failure from a consistantly solid brewery. Do everything in your power to stay far, far away from this train wreck in a bottle.

Rhettroactive, May 13, 2012

bvlaminck, Nov 22, 2012

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared at a tasting.

A: Pours a clear, golden body that immediately raises my skepticism. Is this another Kaggen prank? It doesn't look like a quad AT ALL. It's not even the right color.

S: A mix of apples, pears, something fruity I can't place (reading the bottle suggests this is pomegranate), bubblegum. This is... disjointed. I get the feeling they were going for a Voltron theme here, but they seem to have achieved Voltron's inbred cousin.

T: Tart, dark fruit; bubblegum; some presence of apples, pears; bread; yeast; whiskey, and a touch of oak. WOW. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE? It's like they threw darts at the wall and generated a random beer with the result. Hilarious.

M: Thin-bodied, poorly integrated.

O: In a display of how disappointing this was, I didn't even commit my usual Dexter-like ritual of slicing the wax open and stealing it as a souvenir. A swing and a miss for Deschutes.

Arbitrator, Oct 20, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -45.7%

Made a mess getting the wax off- I hate when breweries dip the mouth of the bottle in wax, which admittedly may prejudice me against it.
A: Pale orange, a little cloudy, with a great deal of sediment. You may want to pretend you're pouring a fine wine when you pour this beer; do it very slowly and carefully. Overall, looks fine.
S: Sour cherries is the best way I can describe it. Very unusual for a quad, actually rather reminds me of a fruit lambic. I hate lambics.
T: The taste reminds me of a lambic too. The flavor is lighter, fruitier and less complex than a typical quad.
M: Not bad, reasonably smooth. I don't feel the urge to spit it out, anyway.

Overall I didn't like it. It really isn't very representative of the style in my opinion, and where it diverges from the norm it does so in ways that I personally find unpleasant. I seriously considered tossing it out after the first sip, which is something I never do. To be fair, it did grow on me a bit over the course of the bottle, which may have something to do with the high alcohol content; it doesn't taste nearly as strong as it actually is. To each his own I suppose, but I won't be buying it again.

disasturbater, Jun 22, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -45.2%

Beddachedda shared this one. Thanks, Evan.

Appearance: The Stoic pours a clear golden color, not exactly quad-like but attractive nonetheless. The head is tall and lasting.

Aroma: The nose is overwhelmingly sweet, showcasing bubblegum and raw sugar, some tart fruitiness from the pomegranate I suppose, but really just overwhelming sweetness and yeast. Clove, breadiness, a bit vinous - plenty of depth but none of it is appealing.

Palate: Sweet, vinous, fruity. Cloying but also slightly tart. Dark fruit and red wine, clove, bready malt. Becomes more tannic and dry in the finish. Pretty mediocre and not particularly drinkable, I dumped my glass after a few ounces. Deschutes isn't doing so well with these reserve series beers this year.

largadeer, Oct 19, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -44.4%

22oz bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a medium creamy white head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sugary caramel malts, banana and cloves, some grassy hops and quite a bit of plasticky alcohol.

The flavor is very sweet sugary malts with some fruitiness, and a bit of slightly burnt bitter alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation, slightly watery.

Overall, it's a bit of a mess. Way too cloying and alcoholic. I'll take a St Bernardus anytime over this.

Beaver13, Sep 12, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

A rich copper color with a fingers worth of head. Lasts a bit and leaves some lacing.

Let's cut to the chase. It can be aged with this and or that.... But the reality is we have clove wrapped in clove that really brings out the cloviness of the clove. A one trick pony. Sweet clove suck garbage. Invent something else.

Let's move on.

TheDudeRules, Sep 09, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 14, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -39.9%

Drank on 3/4/2013. Best After date of 8/2012

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with a shallow white head, dissipating quickly leaving a thin white ring on the glass.

S: Nuts, seeds, wet soil. Rather odd

T: A bit sweet, malty, nutty, again an attribute that reminds me of wet soil, finishing with a bit of tartness. A nice bit of hot alcohol after the finish.

M: Moderately carbonated, a bit sweet, with a dry finish.

O: Definitely odd for a Quad. Nothing really remarkable about it, except the odd flavors. Definitely disappointing for one of Deschutes's reserve beers.

sirtomtom, Mar 05, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -39.9%

Alright, here it goes.

A: pours a copper ale with a single finger of white foam. These suds fall quickly to a thin and broken sheet of the same. Spotty lacing. Excellent clarity.

S: Belgian yeast, candy sugar, lead, maybe a raspberry tone. Definitely can smell the rye whiskey. Not getting the pomegranate.

T: Again, yeast, then some tartness and spiciness (rye like). Having a hard time placing a finger on the other fine flavors, but none is particularly dominant or appealing.

M: Medium on thin body with waaayyy too much carb. Not smooth, doesn't allow me to really enjoy the flavors, keeps my tongue busy.

O: I'm very disappointed with the beer as a whole. The yeast is too dominant to allow for the other flavors to shine appropriately. It, as is well known, does not flow with the typical Quad format, and is more like a tripel for me honestly. The yeast gives that chemical, clove on coriander tone. I will not be purchasing another bottle of this unless a trader of mine wants some.

harrymel, Sep 16, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -36.8%

Interesting nose of baby aspirin and soft raspberry comforts with caution. Clear yellow filtration victim of a beer screams anything but quad. Is this a triple? Misnomer city. First sip reveals corn syrup and chardonnay. The finish on this beer is dry and boozy, evoking a flavor profile more suited to a gin than a beer. The finish is rife with cotton candy and biscuity notes. The Stoic escapes the fearful possibility of oversweetness, yet falls victim to many other pitfalls of American-made Belgian-style ales. The burps are nice though, filtering out much of the nonsense and leaving me with a pils-y flavor soaked in belgian air. Perhaps that's how this beer was meant to be enjoyed.

goodbyeohio, Aug 17, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -36%

22oz bottle with wax cap. served slightly chilled into a Duvel tulip.

pours a dark cider color with a creamy finger white head.

unfortunately, im coming over a cold and i can barely get a good smell.

kinda perturbed about the taste. doesnt really taste or feel like a quad in my mouth. more like a tripel. adequate taste just not what i would expect from a quad. maybe the wax-coated cap got my hopes up too high

ikantspel, Sep 30, 2011

nh2032, Jan 22, 2012

hays99, Jan 26, 2012

ctc862, Feb 04, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz Bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: The beer poured a light in color, bright amber with orange and golden hues. The beer came with 2 fingers worth of off white head that left decent amounts of lacing on the side of the glass. Very light in color, far from what a Quad should look like, but will give it points for what its worth.

S: Sweet belgian yeast straight from the get go followed by light fruit's: apples, white grapes and pears. There is also hints of pomegranate. A unique spicy character is present along with alcohol and oak. The beer is really missing the dark belgian fruits, very different from most Quads.

T: Light fruits dominate the palate. Vanilla, oak and Belgian yeast join the ride as well. The beer has a strange twist of flavors. There is also a strange presence of alcohol on the mouth that throws off some flavors. Really missing the key components that make up a "Quad."

M: Medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. There is a weird alcohol presence, not going to say "over powering" but its just strange.

O: I was really expecting more from Deschutes with this beer, but they went along with most of American brewers, brewing a "light" quad that just doesn't work. It really misses the key components that makes up a wonderful Belgian Quad/BSDA. I want to smell and taste the complexity of dark fruits paired with sweet candied sugar, the smoothness of the alcohol rolling right over the tongue.

The score at hand was rated to style.

CaptainTripps, Sep 20, 2011

BCross, Feb 10, 2012

canders0927, May 21, 2013

sharpski, Oct 01, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -30%

A: I had seen video of how clear this pour was, but it still surprised me. A quadruple that's clear yellow with hints of orange? Strange. Fluffy white head sticks around for a long while.

S: The aroma is that of a quad, surprisingly. Deep, dark fruits, booze, and instead of candied sugar, I get a lot of wheat. It's very much like a quad, but has some other parts I'm not familiar with.

T: The taste is sort of like a quad. Dark fruits, plums maybe some raisins, and just a TON of booze. Don't get me confused, I'm not talking about I can taste alcohol, I'm talking straight alcohol booze. The wheat/sugar flavor come up on the back end, which is warming due to the alcohol.

MF: Medium body, carbonated well. The aftertaste is full of booze that warms that body as you drink.

O: Really disappointed in this. I don't really understand where they went wrong, but it should be back to the drawing board for this one.

russwbeck, Oct 23, 2011