1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

The StoicThe Stoic

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 542 | Reviews: 221 | Show All Ratings:
hopsbreath

Oregon

Drank at the Portland Deschutes Pub for lunch.

A: Center of the clear gold spectrum with a finger of snow white foam on top. This looks very pale and nothing like any Quad I've ever seen. Minimal legs and minimal lacing. 2/5

S: Light banana, booze, and some non-specific fruitiness. The depth is lacking and my interest is waning. 2/5

T: Obscure fruits including banana, mildly sweet, a touch of wood. The lack of alcohol presence in a beer of this size is rarely missed but I'm wishing it was here this time if only to give a little complexity. This is startlingly bland for a beer trying to fit in a style known for complexity. Where are the big fruits and flavorful sugars? This just seems like a simple/non-offensive grain bill with some Belgian yeast tossed in. The description has a bunch of good buzz words and sounds thoughtfully planned, but what I'm tasting seems uninspired. 2/5

M: This falls into the gray area at the upper side of thin and the lower side of moderate. Any thinner, and I'm calling this a Belgian Trippel (it might be more appropriate to fit it in there anyway). High carbonation makes this finish cleanly and dry. 2/5

O: Sometimes, I'm a little more lenient on rating a beer if I enjoy it regardless of the style placed on it by the beer drinking public. Deschutes pigeon-holed themselves though by calling this a Quad in the first place. Admittedly I'm not very experienced in the Quad style. I can think of at least one other beer lover who is more versed and would "know best". I have however tried some of the higher rated Quads available in America. They all typically share similar characteristics; deep layers of complexity, big fruits, heavy sugars, and an unabashed booziness. This literally shares none of those attributes. From top to bottom, I can't think of a better definition for "not impressed". It's not offensive, but it's definitely not up to my expectations for the style. Easily the most forgettable and weakest of the Deschutes Reserve Series so far. 2/5

08-17-2011 22:15:07 | More by hopsbreath
Arbitrator

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared at a tasting.

A: Pours a clear, golden body that immediately raises my skepticism. Is this another Kaggen prank? It doesn't look like a quad AT ALL. It's not even the right color.

S: A mix of apples, pears, something fruity I can't place (reading the bottle suggests this is pomegranate), bubblegum. This is... disjointed. I get the feeling they were going for a Voltron theme here, but they seem to have achieved Voltron's inbred cousin.

T: Tart, dark fruit; bubblegum; some presence of apples, pears; bread; yeast; whiskey, and a touch of oak. WOW. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE? It's like they threw darts at the wall and generated a random beer with the result. Hilarious.

M: Thin-bodied, poorly integrated.

O: In a display of how disappointing this was, I didn't even commit my usual Dexter-like ritual of slicing the wax open and stealing it as a souvenir. A swing and a miss for Deschutes.

10-20-2011 03:50:25 | More by Arbitrator
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

From 22oz black wax dipped bottle to CBS snifter on 5/12/12
*From notes

A: Clean, slightly chill hazy orange-amber in hue. A standard pour yields a 1.25 finger white head. No real lacing, decent collar.

S: Ugh. A Quad that smells like chipotle chilis. Awesome. It's got this odd, Mexican spice vibe that is wholly unlikable. As it warms, I do get a touch of Sauvignon Blanc must.

T: Not good. Not good at all. Pork fat and liquid smoke reign supreme. Letting this warm does nothing for the beer, as I begin to get an overload of rotting pimento. There's a kick of sweetness on the finish that sticks out like a sore thumb. Not a single facet of the flavor profile succeeds in accomplishing anything remotely close to average or above.

M: Well the carbonation is pretty pleasant. The weight could be better, but it's not out of line, just a bit lacking.

O: After falling in love with Hardywood's Bourbon Cru (a Bourbon Barrel Quad) the night before, I was stoked to finally break into my one and only bottle of the Stoic. You can imagine my disappointment and frustration with what I found. This should have been an exceptional beer, all the elements are there for success. Yet in the end, the finished product comes nowhere close to quaffable.

A major failure from a consistantly solid brewery. Do everything in your power to stay far, far away from this train wreck in a bottle.

05-13-2012 19:06:48 | More by Rhettroactive
disasturbater

2.08/5  rDev -45.5%

Made a mess getting the wax off- I hate when breweries dip the mouth of the bottle in wax, which admittedly may prejudice me against it.
A: Pale orange, a little cloudy, with a great deal of sediment. You may want to pretend you're pouring a fine wine when you pour this beer; do it very slowly and carefully. Overall, looks fine.
S: Sour cherries is the best way I can describe it. Very unusual for a quad, actually rather reminds me of a fruit lambic. I hate lambics.
T: The taste reminds me of a lambic too. The flavor is lighter, fruitier and less complex than a typical quad.
M: Not bad, reasonably smooth. I don't feel the urge to spit it out, anyway.

Overall I didn't like it. It really isn't very representative of the style in my opinion, and where it diverges from the norm it does so in ways that I personally find unpleasant. I seriously considered tossing it out after the first sip, which is something I never do. To be fair, it did grow on me a bit over the course of the bottle, which may have something to do with the high alcohol content; it doesn't taste nearly as strong as it actually is. To each his own I suppose, but I won't be buying it again.

06-22-2012 05:11:21 | More by disasturbater
largadeer

2.1/5  rDev -45%

Beddachedda shared this one. Thanks, Evan.

Appearance: The Stoic pours a clear golden color, not exactly quad-like but attractive nonetheless. The head is tall and lasting.

Aroma: The nose is overwhelmingly sweet, showcasing bubblegum and raw sugar, some tart fruitiness from the pomegranate I suppose, but really just overwhelming sweetness and yeast. Clove, breadiness, a bit vinous - plenty of depth but none of it is appealing.

Palate: Sweet, vinous, fruity. Cloying but also slightly tart. Dark fruit and red wine, clove, bready malt. Becomes more tannic and dry in the finish. Pretty mediocre and not particularly drinkable, I dumped my glass after a few ounces. Deschutes isn't doing so well with these reserve series beers this year.

10-19-2011 21:19:25 | More by largadeer
Beaver13

Colorado

2.13/5  rDev -44.2%

22oz bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a medium creamy white head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sugary caramel malts, banana and cloves, some grassy hops and quite a bit of plasticky alcohol.

The flavor is very sweet sugary malts with some fruitiness, and a bit of slightly burnt bitter alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation, slightly watery.

Overall, it's a bit of a mess. Way too cloying and alcoholic. I'll take a St Bernardus anytime over this.

09-12-2011 05:19:07 | More by Beaver13
TheDudeRules

2.17/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

A rich copper color with a fingers worth of head. Lasts a bit and leaves some lacing.

Let's cut to the chase. It can be aged with this and or that.... But the reality is we have clove wrapped in clove that really brings out the cloviness of the clove. A one trick pony. Sweet clove suck garbage. Invent something else.

Let's move on.

09-09-2011 03:38:35 | More by TheDudeRules
harrymel

Washington

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

Alright, here it goes.

A: pours a copper ale with a single finger of white foam. These suds fall quickly to a thin and broken sheet of the same. Spotty lacing. Excellent clarity.

S: Belgian yeast, candy sugar, lead, maybe a raspberry tone. Definitely can smell the rye whiskey. Not getting the pomegranate.

T: Again, yeast, then some tartness and spiciness (rye like). Having a hard time placing a finger on the other fine flavors, but none is particularly dominant or appealing.

M: Medium on thin body with waaayyy too much carb. Not smooth, doesn't allow me to really enjoy the flavors, keeps my tongue busy.

O: I'm very disappointed with the beer as a whole. The yeast is too dominant to allow for the other flavors to shine appropriately. It, as is well known, does not flow with the typical Quad format, and is more like a tripel for me honestly. The yeast gives that chemical, clove on coriander tone. I will not be purchasing another bottle of this unless a trader of mine wants some.

09-16-2011 15:59:49 | More by harrymel
sirtomtom

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

Drank on 3/4/2013. Best After date of 8/2012

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with a shallow white head, dissipating quickly leaving a thin white ring on the glass.

S: Nuts, seeds, wet soil. Rather odd

T: A bit sweet, malty, nutty, again an attribute that reminds me of wet soil, finishing with a bit of tartness. A nice bit of hot alcohol after the finish.

M: Moderately carbonated, a bit sweet, with a dry finish.

O: Definitely odd for a Quad. Nothing really remarkable about it, except the odd flavors. Definitely disappointing for one of Deschutes's reserve beers.

03-05-2013 03:51:31 | More by sirtomtom
goodbyeohio

2.42/5  rDev -36.6%

Interesting nose of baby aspirin and soft raspberry comforts with caution. Clear yellow filtration victim of a beer screams anything but quad. Is this a triple? Misnomer city. First sip reveals corn syrup and chardonnay. The finish on this beer is dry and boozy, evoking a flavor profile more suited to a gin than a beer. The finish is rife with cotton candy and biscuity notes. The Stoic escapes the fearful possibility of oversweetness, yet falls victim to many other pitfalls of American-made Belgian-style ales. The burps are nice though, filtering out much of the nonsense and leaving me with a pils-y flavor soaked in belgian air. Perhaps that's how this beer was meant to be enjoyed.

08-17-2011 15:30:03 | More by goodbyeohio
ikantspel

2.45/5  rDev -35.9%

22oz bottle with wax cap. served slightly chilled into a Duvel tulip.

pours a dark cider color with a creamy finger white head.

unfortunately, im coming over a cold and i can barely get a good smell.

kinda perturbed about the taste. doesnt really taste or feel like a quad in my mouth. more like a tripel. adequate taste just not what i would expect from a quad. maybe the wax-coated cap got my hopes up too high

09-30-2011 05:45:00 | More by ikantspel
CaptainTripps

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz Bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: The beer poured a light in color, bright amber with orange and golden hues. The beer came with 2 fingers worth of off white head that left decent amounts of lacing on the side of the glass. Very light in color, far from what a Quad should look like, but will give it points for what its worth.

S: Sweet belgian yeast straight from the get go followed by light fruit's: apples, white grapes and pears. There is also hints of pomegranate. A unique spicy character is present along with alcohol and oak. The beer is really missing the dark belgian fruits, very different from most Quads.

T: Light fruits dominate the palate. Vanilla, oak and Belgian yeast join the ride as well. The beer has a strange twist of flavors. There is also a strange presence of alcohol on the mouth that throws off some flavors. Really missing the key components that make up a "Quad."

M: Medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. There is a weird alcohol presence, not going to say "over powering" but its just strange.

O: I was really expecting more from Deschutes with this beer, but they went along with most of American brewers, brewing a "light" quad that just doesn't work. It really misses the key components that makes up a wonderful Belgian Quad/BSDA. I want to smell and taste the complexity of dark fruits paired with sweet candied sugar, the smoothness of the alcohol rolling right over the tongue.

The score at hand was rated to style.

09-20-2011 18:50:14 | More by CaptainTripps
russwbeck

2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

A: I had seen video of how clear this pour was, but it still surprised me. A quadruple that's clear yellow with hints of orange? Strange. Fluffy white head sticks around for a long while.

S: The aroma is that of a quad, surprisingly. Deep, dark fruits, booze, and instead of candied sugar, I get a lot of wheat. It's very much like a quad, but has some other parts I'm not familiar with.

T: The taste is sort of like a quad. Dark fruits, plums maybe some raisins, and just a TON of booze. Don't get me confused, I'm not talking about I can taste alcohol, I'm talking straight alcohol booze. The wheat/sugar flavor come up on the back end, which is warming due to the alcohol.

MF: Medium body, carbonated well. The aftertaste is full of booze that warms that body as you drink.

O: Really disappointed in this. I don't really understand where they went wrong, but it should be back to the drawing board for this one.

10-23-2011 01:21:23 | More by russwbeck
hobojon

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

On tap at the Bend pub.

Appearance: filtered and very clear. amber with cherry red highlights. minimal foam and no lacing.

Smell: alcohol, band-aids, and cherry cough syrup. some belgian yeast ester. banana and pear. sweet and syrupy with some cherry/sweet fruit aroma. the alcohol is masked well.

Taste: very disappointing. this is not a quad. this is a poor attempt at anything close to Rochefort 10, Westy 12, St B 12 or Koningshoeven. It is too sweet, not dark enough (in malt and dark fruit flavor), and the yeast character is poor. I get some subtle -bal character but it is in the background adding complexity to the fruity cherry notes (I'm guessing this is from the Pomegranate). It is full flavored, but tastes like a bad Belgian homebrew.

Mouthfeel: this was on draft... so I wasn't expecting high carb. med carb, sweet and full. lingering alcohol. not dry and drinkable like most quads. too sweet.

Overall: I am surprised that they say this took 5 years to create on the label. The color was the first indication that it would not be like the Trappist quads I have come to love. The Pomegranate is too much on top of the already sweet beer. The yeast doesn't give me the spicy or fruity character I want. I am very disappointed with this beer, but maybe my expectations are wrong.

08-20-2011 05:41:24 | More by hobojon
claspada

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a semi-clear peach/amber color with a small white head that is not typical for most Belgian ales; mild spotty lacing and a decent amount of chunky yeast which must have been aroused trying to get the wax off the bottle.

Aromas begin with all Belgian yeast phenols; bubblegum and banana are huge here. There are other light fruity esters in the background but I wouldn't be able to discern pomegranate if I didn't know from the bottle/research.

The taste begins super, super phenolic and estery as well. It features apple, pear and white wine grapes establishing dominance; it is followed by spicy yeast and more lighter vinous elements; slight oaky dryness, in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and some warmth in the gullet. Finish is dry but not as dry as I would like and/or expect from a Belgian ale, which are usually dry, and one aged on oak should also be extra dry.

Overall, this is a decent Belgian Golden Strong but definitely not a quad to my palate. There is a lot that went into this beer but the sum is less than the parts. Too estery and phenolic with not enough pomegranate or rye barrel; probably could have used more time in the barrel and/or more fruit additions. I will have trouble finishing the second glass because this is just not flavorful/enjoyable for my tastes.

04-01-2012 03:08:14 | More by claspada
vkv822

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a clear golden orange with a thin, short lived tan head.

The nose is of mostly clove. There are some fruit notes as well.

The taste is sweet upfront, followed by cloves and fruits, perhaps pear and apple? Some heat from the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation.

Definitely not a quad, and still a fairly uninspiring beer otherwise as well. Nothing what I would expect from Deschutes' Reserve Series.

09-14-2011 03:53:27 | More by vkv822
nlmartin

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

Big thanks to Diomede for sending this beer to me. This beer was chilled and served in a wide mouth goblet.

A- The beer has a clear peach colored body. The head was a two finger high biege coloration. The head resolved to a thin sheen of foam.

S- The beer has an expected clove aroma leading the charge. Nice sweetness noted in the aroma bananna, grape aroma vanilla oak notes. Nowhere near the complexity I expected.

T- Sweet malt fruited flavors perhaps thats the pomegranite but seems more green apple and grape in nature peppery cloves. I am not really picking up on the Rye flavors like I thought I would. Not bad but not what I expected.

M- Medium bodied nicely carbonated. No alcohol heat noted to the mouth.

O- This isnt a bad beer but is certainly not wowing. I will finish this beer but I will not seek more of this beer out.

12-10-2011 11:57:19 | More by nlmartin
charlzm

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

Consumed at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood CA on January 27, 2012.

Clear light amber/copper color with no head to speak of: just a fine off-white crown ringing the edges of the glass. Not as dark as a quad should be. Odd.

Aroma is esthery and rich with bubblegum. A floral note as well: clover? Not much else.

Flavor is heavy on the bubblegum. Slightly floral and sweet: honeysuckle. Fairly sweet with no alcohol or bitterness to contrast. No complexity or subtlety here I can detect despite all the alleged barrel aging and pomegranate.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable.

Innocuous and easy enough to put away, but not very successful as a quad.

01-31-2012 20:53:51 | More by charlzm
impending

2.9/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

22oz into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear fiery copper, little head even with an encouraging pour, minor lacing. Georgous

Expressive aroma, tremendous depth, rich in spices - clove and cardamom. No dark fruits, all light skinned.

Flavor is difficult to label at first. Sweets begin by enveloping the tongue. Phenols kick in as a substitute for bitter. The aftertaste begins dry and leaves a long lingering undefined echo that immediately outstays its welcome. The alcohol while not too far forward is overt. If there is any barrel to be found it might be in a pinot noir twang. Medium bodied mouthfeel, initial sips brought forth sensations of tin foil.

Deschutes, you had me at pomegranate molasses, how intriguing
I didn't find it

I have complete respect for the brewers but why market this as a quad?
incomprehensible
cheers
jd

09-03-2011 04:44:07 | More by impending
mwilbur

2.95/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from 22 oz bottle stamped best by 08/04/12 into snifter.
A: Pours a golden amber with high carbonation producing a 1 inch white head that quickly recedes. Appears very light for style.
S: Fruit (pomegranate?), sweet caramel malt, and a whiff of whiskey. Fairly sweet and light.
T: Mild whiskey, banana, clove, sweet caramel malt, mixed fruit. Jumbled and too sweet...tried too hard on this one.
M: Medium body...lighter than one would expect given the ABV. Oily sweet.
D: Love the idea, the label, and the name...other than that not so good. Doesn't do the style justice.

10-24-2011 03:31:42 | More by mwilbur
DaveHS

2.98/5  rDev -22%

A-Pours clear chestnut amber, much lighter than any quad I've ever seen with a half inch of fizzy, light khaki head that's gone almost as fast as it arrives. No lacing, but lots of tiny bubbles making their way up from the bottom of the glass. Plenty of carbonation from the looks of it.

S-White grape juice sweetness, a little allspice, some slick, clovey Belgian yeast.

T/M-The first thing that strikes me about STOIC is how sweet it is. Flavors of honey and pear juice. Then you're hit with a fistful of intense spiciness mid-palate that throws any semblance of order or concept out the window. The finish is dry and boozy, leaving a chalky film on the palate. Full bodied and syrupy with fizzy carbonation.

O-In many ways, this reminds me of the North Coast Grand Cru. Too light for the style, syrupy, boozy, unfocused, not enough barrel character for a beer claiming barrel aging as an attribute. This one has the added detriment of being unpleasantly over spiced. Not a fan of this one.

08-31-2011 02:32:15 | More by DaveHS
womencantsail

On-tap at Beachwood Brewing

A: The pour is a clear amber color with a finger of off-white head.

S: An almost nail polish remover/acetone aroma. Strong acidic fruit character in there, too. A little bit of toffee/bread/caramel sweetness in there somewhere. There is a little bit of raisin and plum, too.

T: More typical Quad character on the aroma. There is a strong fruit note to it, though. Lots of plum, raisin, and perhaps some cherry. Maybe a touch of cough medicine. There is a strong toffee and toasted bread malt flavor.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: A real miss from Deschutes. A rare one as well. Very disappointing.

10-13-2011 01:12:09 | More by womencantsail
denver10

Colorado

3.01/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not quite sure what to expect from this one but super curious to try it.

Pours a hazy golden with a little bit of an orange tint. A white head that quickly recedes. Aroma offers some belgian yeast giving off some fruity esters.,big banana,some apple and then there's the pomegranate giving off some nice tartness, the barrels, and some alcohol. Flavor is really quite interesting. You get the typcial belgian quad flavors with the yeast and its fruity esters (largely banana) but you also get the pomegranate which cuts the sweetness and offers some tartness to this thing, and then some discrete woodiness. Some alcohol in the finish but not too bad, given the earlier reviews here time must have tamed it some. A fuller mouthfeel, some creaminess not much activity. Overall, I liked this one a lot more upon my first few sips than I did on my last few sips. I shared this bottle with someone else and glad I did because I couldn't have drank more than the 12 oz's I got. I guess I'd consider an alright brew in small portions, but the fact that it got a little cloying for me the more of it I drank was definitely a let down. Interesting beer, yes, good beer? Not as much so.

10-18-2012 01:50:46 | More by denver10
TheRealBigC

Nevada

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Really didn't like this one as much as the folks at the bar had me anticipating. It's really, really strong. The complex flavor helps hide it a little, but between the tartness and the banana & yeasty in-your-face flavor, I couldn't even put the whole thing down. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I know I've had better. Maybe I expect Deschutes to knock it out of the park every time and I feel slightly disappointed.

08-04-2012 01:08:09 | More by TheRealBigC
GregSVT

3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a light orange with a white head that fades to a ring and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is very interesting. Floral notes of wine, green apples, and vanilla. The barrels have taken over here but it smells very nice.

T: The taste mimics the nose with big sweet flavors of apples, grapes, vanilla, and malt. A little overly sweet and nothing to balance it out.

M: The feel is on the lighter side of medium bodied and nearly flat.

O: While this isn't very quad like it does smell a lot like the barrels it was in which is what most barrel aged beers turn out to be. That being said the flavor was a bit too sweet and the beer going flat halfway through the glass is a bit concerning.

09-13-2011 04:20:51 | More by GregSVT