The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.
4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

A - Pours a very cloudy/murky copper. Nice one finger head that leaves nothing behind.

S - Caramel & candied fruit along with some spices.

T - Lots of sweet & spices going on here. Getting a lot of bananas & pears. I can't muddle through the spices but it's very pronounced.

M - Medium body & carbonation. Can't detect much alcohol.

O - I'm loving this quad. Much more than the belgians I've had. (404 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not quite sure what to expect from this one but super curious to try it.

Pours a hazy golden with a little bit of an orange tint. A white head that quickly recedes. Aroma offers some belgian yeast giving off some fruity esters.,big banana,some apple and then there's the pomegranate giving off some nice tartness, the barrels, and some alcohol. Flavor is really quite interesting. You get the typcial belgian quad flavors with the yeast and its fruity esters (largely banana) but you also get the pomegranate which cuts the sweetness and offers some tartness to this thing, and then some discrete woodiness. Some alcohol in the finish but not too bad, given the earlier reviews here time must have tamed it some. A fuller mouthfeel, some creaminess not much activity. Overall, I liked this one a lot more upon my first few sips than I did on my last few sips. I shared this bottle with someone else and glad I did because I couldn't have drank more than the 12 oz's I got. I guess I'd consider an alright brew in small portions, but the fact that it got a little cloying for me the more of it I drank was definitely a let down. Interesting beer, yes, good beer? Not as much so. (1,178 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +13%

Pours into a chalice a hazy golden orange color, head is very minimal with hardly any lacing on the glass.

Smell starts out with a strong tart fruity aroma, pomegranate, Belgian candied sugar add to the aroma, some other spicy esters, hints of alcohol is evident to the nose.

Taste is rather light and crispy for a Quad, likely from the pomegranate which adds a nice fruity tartness, not overly sweet but plenty enough from the candied sugar, carbonation is active and bubbly in the mouth even though it wasn't in the glass, alcohol is more than evident but isn't too distracting.

An interesting Quad, definitely more fruity than most so if fruit in a beer is a turnoff to you, you might want to avoid this one. (714 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Koningshoven chalice. Best by 4 August 2012. Batch H. 11% ABV.

A: No head. Golden hazy-bright. Pale for a quad.

S: Strong and very sweet. Heavy, spicy fruit. Touch of vanilla. Heavy alcohol.

T: This is a damned good beer. Spicy, layered, and delicate. Deep grapes, heavy liquored fruits, and spicy-tart dessert. Engaging, though not transcendental Belgian yeast. I might not be able to differentiate this from a Belgian quad (which is a huge compliment). Tart alcohol reminds me distinctly of a pina colada...both pineapple and coconut are inexplicably (but undeniably) present. The finish is pleasant and reminiscent of fresh peach.

M: Nice, but unnoticeable.

O: A great beer and an exceptional quad. Highly recommend to (and drinkable by) all. Will have again. (805 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for giving this to me for my birthday last year (now sharing it with him)

Consumed 10/12/12

Appearance: Hazy, dark orange/light amber with some gold around the edges - Pours with a little, off-white head and leaves some nice spotty lacing

Smell: Fruity and Belgian - pomegranate is pretty obvious, works very well with the yeasty banana esters and bubblegum - fruity sweetness and some malty sweetness - cooked, caramelized malts, nice but not really a quad-level of malts - spicy yeastiness and some very light rye spiciness - some booze as well

Taste: Sweet and fruity, in a good way - pomegranate, bananas, and other light fruits including pears, apples - spicy Belgian yeast, with some clove, and some rye - some oak, in nice balance - caramel malts - some booze, as would be expected with the ABV

Mouthfeel: Medium body, adequately carbonated, some alcohol heat

Overall: Strange but pleasant

I don't really think this is a quad, but I don't know what kind of label it deserves. It's boozy and fruity, but in a good way. I'm not sure how to rate this, but I guess I will be nice. At the very least, this is very interesting. (1,159 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Hazy peach. Head is bubbly, bright-white and small. Drops to a thin collar and cap. Moderate carbonation on the pour. Deep yellow and orange hues.

Smell: Belgian smoothie. Banana, tropical fruit (must be the pomegranate), orange and some minor cherry. Oak adds a nice layer of vanilla-like smoothness. Big fruity sweetness. Some pale malts in the back. Mild roasted character. Light breadiness with some backing caramel sweetness. Some backing herbal spiciness.

Taste: Oak barrel and fruit juice. Loaded with pomegranate flesh and sweetness. Some caramel malt sweetness as well. Reminds me of a smoothie if you hit it with some Belgian yeast culture. Mild backing earthiness. Some spice from the yeast as well. Oak smooths everything out a bit. Banana and apple in good measure. Super fruity. Flavors come across a bit muddled. Nice complexity, but the flavors hit in waves instead of blending together. Pepper and flowers.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy. Moderate carbonation with a just under medium body. Relatively clean with some lingering yeast.

Overall: Decent, but lacks that standard of Deschutes perfection.

I trust Deschutes to make a benchmark beer no matter what they do. This fell short of this pedigree as the flavors ultimately failed to coalesce into a coherent flavor. Lots of complexity, but it never goes anywhere.

I can't view this as a quad. It's a loose use of the term and as such I treated the beer as some imagined Belgian-American strong ale. (1,542 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a medium amber color with a huge bubbly white ehad that slowly dissipates leaving much lace. Smells of tart fruit, spicy oak tannins, orange peel, yeasty funk and a bit of grape skins. It doesn't look or smell like what I expected. The flavor is moderately sweet with some light sugar, a bit of apples, some non descript tart fruit, a hint of caramel, some wine like tannins, grape skins, and a fair shot of ethanol. There's a hint of vanilla and oak in the flavor but they are very subtle. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet bubbly mouthfeel. This is an OK beer, but I didn't love it that's for sure. I think the pomegranate adds a fruity tartness that makes it feel a bit like a sour bottle; the wine barrel adds to this as well. I was expecting a dark caramel and raisin beer with maybe some hints of barrel and tart fruit. What I tasted was a tart fruity Belgian with hints of caramel and pomme fruits. (938 characters)

Cellared above 45 degrees for a year, and worth the time... without a doubt.

Unbelievable. I'm not sure if this beer it that remarkable or if its my love of quads coming through after not having had one in awhile. The look, the smell, the flavors, the texture, it has it all. I have to say it is a 5.0. (303 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

This looks...unusual for a quad. Smells nice though. The beer in its entirety is...uninspiring. It was nice to drink, but not interesting enough to distract me to go write down some notes about it as I worked on other things. Slightly boozy with a bit of a burn. The pomegranate provides an interesting touch, but only a one dimensional one. If this is a quad, okay, I can roll with that...I guess. Overall though, it's not very interesting. A brewery like Deschutes has earned my respect by producing a lot of interesting beers that I really enjoy. However. This is not one of them. A miss, in my book. (603 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

Really didn't like this one as much as the folks at the bar had me anticipating. It's really, really strong. The complex flavor helps hide it a little, but between the tartness and the banana & yeasty in-your-face flavor, I couldn't even put the whole thing down. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I know I've had better. Maybe I expect Deschutes to knock it out of the park every time and I feel slightly disappointed. (431 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

Nice barrel aged take on a quad, albeit a bit short of its promise.

Presentation: 22 oz brown capped and waxed bottle. Light cream label trying to look aged with old burgundy typography over a small fading image of a saint/stoic character. Side notes offer a small narrative about characteristics and intent. Shows bottling date 08/04/12 and 11% Alc. by Vol. Served in a snifter.

A - Clear deep amber pour, 1/2" frothy head, medium to low retention, fair surface memory and some touches of lacing.

S - Faint fruity and yeasty nose, medicinal hint, pleasing with notes of malt under that first impression...

T - Yeasty, generic fruity notes over caramel and crushed sugar, a bit of plums, remote vinous notes, the barrels are so soft they almost feel absent.

M - Medium body with medium crisp carbonation, fairly smooth flow with a small dry touch as it finishes.

O - Pleasing quad, plenty of good qualities although a bit short of the ambitious program it presented.

Notes: Nice brew, no flaws really, but the barrel felt short of the delicate notes it promised, and similarly the same went for the addition of fruit. (1,125 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Side poured from the 22oz bomber into a Chimay chalice and a tulip glass. I shared this with my dad, and was very excited about cracking it open given the price tag and the general tendency of Deschutes to crush beers out of the park. Best by 8/4/12.

Appearance - Pours a nice looking orange color with a sticky one finger head that leaves wicked good lacing on the sides of the glass. Cool packaging on the bottle, carbonation action can be seen in the glass.

Smell - Fruity for sure, pomegranate, sweet, tangy, and tart all at the same time. Sour cherries certainly play a big role in the smell, but there is a hint of yeast in the background as well.

Taste - The taste is a little unusual, it kind of seems like it clashes a bit. There is certainly your standard fruits from the nose, cherries, pomegranate, coriander, but there is also a funkiness and yeast that comes in as well. I was a little disappointed in the taste of this, as I typically expect Deschutes to destroy it. Maybe I expected too much, but it just didn't seem the taste was well put together. There was no whiskey taste at all, despite the aging in rye barrels.

Mouthfeel - Medium to big bodied, smooth finish with a slight yeasty funk in the aftertaste. Nothing wrong with it.

Overall - I would certainly recommend trying this beer, although I think I expected too much out of it. Given the price tag and the past brewery performance, I was expecting something phenomenal, but it was just a decent quad. Certainly not Three Philosophers, I'll tell you that. Worth a try though. (1,557 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottle shared thanks to Jim, thanks man.

The beer has an incredibly strange look for a quad, it pours like an ipa with a orange pretty clear lo and a ring of white head and some lacing.

Smell is definitely quad like with some some dark fruits with the pomegranate there for sure, brown sugar, Belgian yeast, alcohol ester and heat and sweetness. Nice vanilla too.

The flavor is complex, the pomegranate has a nice platform as the fruity note with nice Belgian yeast and a healthy brown sugar and toffee like sweetness. A nice dryness and also a healthy depth of flavor at the same time. Vanilla. It's complex but at the same time it doesn't seem to have the direction and sofistication of the big Belgian quads, but it's still nice, but a touch muddled. (758 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -4.5%

22 oz bomber of the 2011 vintage pours a surprisingly golden color with a modest off-white head. Best by 08/04/12, it seems like it could go another year or so though. Not much retention and lacing. A pretty poor excuse for a quad if you ask me.

Nose has an awesomely interesting combination of wine and whiskey barrels. Tangy, tart, sweet and malty. Very vinous, and a bit hot smelling still after a year or so.

Taste has mellowed since it was released a bit and the flavors have come together a little bit better. I like the bready aspect the malt gives off despite the light color. The flavors are still a bit odd together though and I think the ABV is unnecessarily high at 11%. The pomegranate seems to clash a bit with the soft yeast and propagates an alcoholic feel. If you want something different, this is your beer. I am not a huge fan it though, especially for a Deschutes specialty brew. (901 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

A - Pours a very hazy golden-orange color with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of Belgian yeast esters including banana and clove, sweet caramel malts, candi sugars, oak, wine grape, vanilla, pomegranate, a bit of lemon, and some booze.

T - Starts off with some Belgian yeast with banana, clove, and bit of coriander, with some caramel malts and candi sugars, and a bit of vanilla. Through the middle, some oak and vanilla comes through with a bit of wine grapes, Bourbon, and a bit of dark fruit and pomegranate. The finish is a mix of Belgian yeast flavors with some banana, clove, oak, grape, pomegranate, candi sugar, and some booze.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and warming finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice balance of flavors and the barrel aging adds to the beer nicely. Not really a Quad, but still very tasty. (951 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from 22oz bomber to over-sized Mikkeller wine glass. Best by 08/04/12. I thought this one would be a worthy candidate for aging but if they insist otherwise, who am I to disagree?

Pours a hazy gold with hints of brown and ruby. A finger of sticky, well-laced head suggests a bit of alcohol.

What a bright smelling beer... overripe cherries, mellow woods, dates, some spicy yeast, licorice, plum, lots of goodness.

Tons of balance. No discernible alcohol presence. Those standard quad fruits make an obvious appearance. Bits of vanilla and caramel come with the wood notes. There's a lot here and it evolves continuously with warmth.

A great beer that I think just has too much going on if you're seeking a run-of-the-mill Belgian style quad. If you know what to expect, though, you'll keep coming back for more. (823 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -43.6%

Made a mess getting the wax off- I hate when breweries dip the mouth of the bottle in wax, which admittedly may prejudice me against it.
A: Pale orange, a little cloudy, with a great deal of sediment. You may want to pretend you're pouring a fine wine when you pour this beer; do it very slowly and carefully. Overall, looks fine.
S: Sour cherries is the best way I can describe it. Very unusual for a quad, actually rather reminds me of a fruit lambic. I hate lambics.
T: The taste reminds me of a lambic too. The flavor is lighter, fruitier and less complex than a typical quad.
M: Not bad, reasonably smooth. I don't feel the urge to spit it out, anyway.

Overall I didn't like it. It really isn't very representative of the style in my opinion, and where it diverges from the norm it does so in ways that I personally find unpleasant. I seriously considered tossing it out after the first sip, which is something I never do. To be fair, it did grow on me a bit over the course of the bottle, which may have something to do with the high alcohol content; it doesn't taste nearly as strong as it actually is. To each his own I suppose, but I won't be buying it again. (1,170 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

A bottle from Blue Dog in PA, a little trickle of stuff flew in during beer week. Saw this and never had it.

Off with the wax, The Stoic is lighter in color than your average dark Belgian Quad. A amberish deep orange color grace the glass with some beige bubbles up towards the top. Good retention, minor stick.

Smell is straight up Pommegrane and Rye. The oak and whiskey are not so large with a malty quad base. Some cherry with caramel and orange. I dig the smell, it beats a mound of Candi sugar all day.

The malty sweetness is not lost here in taste. Some sugar and malt come up, but not at St. Bernardus levels. The Pommegrant and Rye barrels really shine and make way for some woody flavor with warming, yet none of the whiskey, which is fine by me.

I see they say drink this bottle in a year. I guess you could age this, but I would agree that some of the ripe rye and etc will get lost, as this will only become more sweet with time and dare I say it, more like a regular quad. The body was a sturdy medium with bubbles and activity on the mouth, just a small splash of alcohol.

Drink it up. (1,105 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +12.5%

Best 08/04/12

Pours amber with a finger of cream colored head. Some head retention & lacing

S: Cherries, oakyness, vanillas

T: Follows the nose, a touch of Chardonnay & sourness up front. A touch of vanilla & oak, cherry tartness & some raisin as this warms, a touch of warming booze as well there's a bit of pineapple & grapefruit showing up as well. Finishes with much tropical fruityness, some citrus bitterness, Chardonnay dryness

MF: Fairly chewy with slight carbonation & dryness

A super solid quad with a barrel aged twist. I would buy this again & age it just to see how that rolls (596 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz waxed bomber bottle. Best Before Date of 8/4/12. Poured this one into a Lost Abbey tulip.

Reviewing this as a "beer" not based on style, as this is not a traditional Quad by any stretch.

A: Pours a cloudy hazy orange color. About a half finger of slightly off white head. Nicely carbonated. You can see ting bubbles streaming off the bottom of the glass.

S: I don't smell any oak or barrel. I get tart cherry mostly. Almost sour like. Also, there is some clove or spice of some sort. I have heard comparisons to a blend of sour and hefe and I can see that here.

T: I get some tart cherry right up front. Then some sweet maltiness goodness. It IS sort of like a Hefe and a sour had baby. It's not a quad. Getting that banana note. Some of that clove-ish flavor. But it's not bad beer. Clean finish.

M: it's not full, more medium. (839 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

The beer pours a pale orange color with a white head that sticks around for the entire time it takes to sip on this tasty treat.

The aroma is dominated by isoamylacetate and sugar with some malt lying in the background.

The first sip hits you with banana, malt, alcohol, sugar, and is sweet and sticky. It is very tasty.

Overall the beer is rather enjoyable. It just does not mesh with what my idea of a quad is very well. It is pale, there are no toffee, caramel, dark fruit, or other typical quad flavors present. The beer states on the label that it was made with pomegranates, they do not come through at all. However, this is still a great beer and I would highly recommend it. (686 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

22 oz bottle best by

A - Caramel orange in color, crystal clear, with plenty of chunky sediment that made it out of the bottle. I need to pour more carefully next time! Half a finger of tan head lasts for a long while.

S - Orange blossom, rye whiskey notes, sweet with lightly spicy yeast. Some clove and a bit of pear. Pomegranate is subtle but adds a nice fruit character

T - Really complex. Definite vinous and oak character. Pomegranate. Rye whiskey. Spicy with clove and rye. Mellows out in the end with sweeter pomegranate. Bready, too. Unripe pear. A very sweet beer, with adjuncts like pomegranate providing the bulk of that flavoring, but it is also sharply spiced.

M - Medium in body, way too watery. This is very wet throughout, and not as chewy as I want it to be.

O - A very unique and very tasty quad. The additions made by Deschutes by aging the beer in barrels and adding pomegranate really stand out and make this a beer unlike any other I have had. There is only a hint of alcohol in this 11% beer. I will look forward to this each year. (1,061 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -45.7%

From 22oz black wax dipped bottle to CBS snifter on 5/12/12
*From notes

A: Clean, slightly chill hazy orange-amber in hue. A standard pour yields a 1.25 finger white head. No real lacing, decent collar.

S: Ugh. A Quad that smells like chipotle chilis. Awesome. It's got this odd, Mexican spice vibe that is wholly unlikable. As it warms, I do get a touch of Sauvignon Blanc must.

T: Not good. Not good at all. Pork fat and liquid smoke reign supreme. Letting this warm does nothing for the beer, as I begin to get an overload of rotting pimento. There's a kick of sweetness on the finish that sticks out like a sore thumb. Not a single facet of the flavor profile succeeds in accomplishing anything remotely close to average or above.

M: Well the carbonation is pretty pleasant. The weight could be better, but it's not out of line, just a bit lacking.

O: After falling in love with Hardywood's Bourbon Cru (a Bourbon Barrel Quad) the night before, I was stoked to finally break into my one and only bottle of the Stoic. You can imagine my disappointment and frustration with what I found. This should have been an exceptional beer, all the elements are there for success. Yet in the end, the finished product comes nowhere close to quaffable.

A major failure from a consistantly solid brewery. Do everything in your power to stay far, far away from this train wreck in a bottle. (1,385 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a white head. Color is a bright golden orange.

Aroma: A lot of fruits. Oranges and pomegranate. French oak with rye spice. Wine flavors. Belgian yeast, bananas, and cloves.

Taste: Mimics the nose, but it is very yeasty and bready. Reminds me of an amped up wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Dry and spiced. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends really dry.

Overall, a unique beer. Not a quad in my book. No clue as to what this really is, style-wise. But, I kind of like it. Somewhat drinkable. (513 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured a 22oz bomber into a Chimay goblet, careful not to disturb yeast sediment on first pour. Best by 08/04/12.

A: Darker orange, coppery color, more translucent than most quads. Thin white head dissipates quickly.

S: Sweet malts up front. Pomegranate more pronounced as the drink warms. Spicy notes with oak in the background.

T: Sweet and bready malts up front. Faint hop bitterness in the middle. Finish is dry and woody/oak. Spicy alcohol and pomegranate sweetness are also there.

O: Enjoyed this more when stirring up the yeast sediment for the second pour; it added a good funk/slight sour and more spiciness. Glad I let this sit outside of the fridge a while as it gets better as it warms. (702 characters)

The Stoic from Deschutes Brewery