The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

The StoicThe Stoic

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011)

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

on tap 12oz pour

A- pours a golden amber color with a nice a 1 finger off-white head a fresh collar is left thru-out

S- light fruits like grapes and apples with a lemon malt and belgian yeast smell but it was faint on all fronts

T- was better hints of light fruit with a lemon and wine /champagne taste malts and bread

M- good carbonation with a lemon/tart slight barn yard taste

O- its tasty first off..not a quad IMO..it has tastes of a golden,a triple and a saison, i liked it for that but this is not a quad

Appearance: Beautiful amber color with a fairly small white head.

Smell: Bready Belgian yeast notes and fruity overtones.

Taste: The bready Belgian yeast notes and fruity overtones in the nose are present in the taste. The wine and whiskey notes from the barrel aging make a slight appearance in the finish. The very last remnant is slightly dry.

Mouth-feel: Body is on the Medium side with a modest level of carbonation.

Overall: Good beer, but does not fit the profile of a traditional quadrupel. I knew what it was prior to my review, having had it on tap, but people who are expecting a traditional quad will be put off by this. My scores are a compromise, I like this beer and will pick it up again, but label it as a Belgian Strong Pale ale or something more fitting and my scores would be higher. Still I like this one.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

I shared a bottle with my cousin, the pour was caramel in color with a small white head, light lacing. The pomegranite really comes through on the aroma. The pomegranite and general sweet fruit notes are the primary flavors, some dark fruit notes. The beer is full bodied, average carbonation, the alcohol is well hidden. Not a typical quad, maybe more of a high octane fruit beer. I was disapointed that I could not pick up the other BA aspects of the brew, but everyone in the room who tried the beer enjoyed it.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Had on tap 14 Sep 11 @ Murphy's Bar & Grill

Appearance: Clear copper in color with a thin lacing.

Smell: Apple/fruit and wine-like scents. Belgian yeast comes out too.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Bubblegum flavor at first. Some good barrel aging flavor comes out. Fruity with a floral bouquet. Heat come up at the end giving me "dragon breath"! Quite stingy! Some sweet honey syrup flavoring too.

Overall: Got to respect the Stoic! The alcohol is just a bit too hot in this young one. A year or two of aging would settle this one out, just right and make it a bit better.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Such is the power of the masses. Given my love for Deschutes in general, I'd planned on picking up several of these, but the early panning of the beer made me leery. But rejoice! For the panning has led to it being on many shelves, so if I love it, still plenty of opportunity to carpe Stoic.

Poured into two tulips. Very clean beer, no sediment, reminds me for some reason of green apples, though it's mostly burnished orange. Surprising amount of white pepper in the nose, along with yeast, sweet candy (or maybe that's the Twix I keep belching up), wheat too. Wild man. Wild.

The Stoic really belies its name: I'd like to see this moniker attached to a routine beer that sticks to some silly style guidelines like leaves to my lawn. Framework is built on a deep sweetness that's leavened with a spicy fruit that I'll assume is the pomegranate. Emphasis on the spice, but in a good vein; reminds me of a good rye brew, maybe that's the rye whiskey notes talking. Juicy with a hint of grape. Oak really dries out the finish. Lovely beer to sip rapidly, my half of the bomber is leaving too quickly.

Another instance of group-think? I believe so. Quad? Who gives a flying bird? It's light, tasty, breezy, well-integrated, & so-easy to drink. A beautiful fall sipper. I will go get another. Or two. Excellent beer.

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours clear amber with a two finger white head with good retention and nice lacing. The aroma has oak, pear, apple, grapes, pomegranate, and phenols.

Tastes just like it smells. Oak, pear, apple, grapes, pomegranate, and phenols are noticeable. Has a sweet flavor. Seems to be missing the complexities I appreciate in Belgian Quadruples for smell and taste, but still pretty good. I'm not sure I would classify this as a Quadrupel.

Full bodied with no lack of carbonation. Has a very sweet aftertaste. A decent beer, but I don't plan to seek this out again.

The Stoic from Deschutes Brewery