The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

The StoicThe Stoic

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011)

Elendinn, Nov 15, 2011

Travisnin, Nov 14, 2011

BrahnSolo, Nov 14, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

on tap 12oz pour

A- pours a golden amber color with a nice a 1 finger off-white head a fresh collar is left thru-out

S- light fruits like grapes and apples with a lemon malt and belgian yeast smell but it was faint on all fronts

T- was better hints of light fruit with a lemon and wine /champagne taste malts and bread

M- good carbonation with a lemon/tart slight barn yard taste

O- its tasty first off..not a quad IMO..it has tastes of a golden,a triple and a saison, i liked it for that but this is not a quad

gatornation, Nov 13, 2011

Appearance: Beautiful amber color with a fairly small white head.

Smell: Bready Belgian yeast notes and fruity overtones.

Taste: The bready Belgian yeast notes and fruity overtones in the nose are present in the taste. The wine and whiskey notes from the barrel aging make a slight appearance in the finish. The very last remnant is slightly dry.

Mouth-feel: Body is on the Medium side with a modest level of carbonation.

Overall: Good beer, but does not fit the profile of a traditional quadrupel. I knew what it was prior to my review, having had it on tap, but people who are expecting a traditional quad will be put off by this. My scores are a compromise, I like this beer and will pick it up again, but label it as a Belgian Strong Pale ale or something more fitting and my scores would be higher. Still I like this one.

IKR, Nov 11, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +7%

I shared a bottle with my cousin, the pour was caramel in color with a small white head, light lacing. The pomegranite really comes through on the aroma. The pomegranite and general sweet fruit notes are the primary flavors, some dark fruit notes. The beer is full bodied, average carbonation, the alcohol is well hidden. Not a typical quad, maybe more of a high octane fruit beer. I was disapointed that I could not pick up the other BA aspects of the brew, but everyone in the room who tried the beer enjoyed it.

bonkers, Nov 11, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Had on tap 14 Sep 11 @ Murphy's Bar & Grill

Appearance: Clear copper in color with a thin lacing.

Smell: Apple/fruit and wine-like scents. Belgian yeast comes out too.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Bubblegum flavor at first. Some good barrel aging flavor comes out. Fruity with a floral bouquet. Heat come up at the end giving me "dragon breath"! Quite stingy! Some sweet honey syrup flavoring too.

Overall: Got to respect the Stoic! The alcohol is just a bit too hot in this young one. A year or two of aging would settle this one out, just right and make it a bit better.

July2Nov, Nov 11, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +11%

Such is the power of the masses. Given my love for Deschutes in general, I'd planned on picking up several of these, but the early panning of the beer made me leery. But rejoice! For the panning has led to it being on many shelves, so if I love it, still plenty of opportunity to carpe Stoic.

Poured into two tulips. Very clean beer, no sediment, reminds me for some reason of green apples, though it's mostly burnished orange. Surprising amount of white pepper in the nose, along with yeast, sweet candy (or maybe that's the Twix I keep belching up), wheat too. Wild man. Wild.

The Stoic really belies its name: I'd like to see this moniker attached to a routine beer that sticks to some silly style guidelines like leaves to my lawn. Framework is built on a deep sweetness that's leavened with a spicy fruit that I'll assume is the pomegranate. Emphasis on the spice, but in a good vein; reminds me of a good rye brew, maybe that's the rye whiskey notes talking. Juicy with a hint of grape. Oak really dries out the finish. Lovely beer to sip rapidly, my half of the bomber is leaving too quickly.

Another instance of group-think? I believe so. Quad? Who gives a flying bird? It's light, tasty, breezy, well-integrated, & so-easy to drink. A beautiful fall sipper. I will go get another. Or two. Excellent beer.

maximum12, Nov 10, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours clear amber with a two finger white head with good retention and nice lacing. The aroma has oak, pear, apple, grapes, pomegranate, and phenols.

Tastes just like it smells. Oak, pear, apple, grapes, pomegranate, and phenols are noticeable. Has a sweet flavor. Seems to be missing the complexities I appreciate in Belgian Quadruples for smell and taste, but still pretty good. I'm not sure I would classify this as a Quadrupel.

Full bodied with no lack of carbonation. Has a very sweet aftertaste. A decent beer, but I don't plan to seek this out again.

hardy008, Nov 10, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

8:30 on a Tuesday night, really wanted to try this so am going to have to drink the whole bomber...at least I'll sleep good. 11% ABV, poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance-A solid orange, not as hazy as a quad, let alone looks nothing like a quad. Head was off white, about one finger worth. After the head dissipates almost immediately ift leaves some nice little bubbles resting on top and the sides of the glass.

Smell-Picked the right glass b/c It really smells like a white wine. I pick up alot of the belgian yeasts which makes you know it's obviously a beer, but it's a very tart lemon, peachy, grapy aroma. It's oak aged, but can't get an of the oak in the aroma.

Taste-Upfront some of the booze hits the lips along with some tartness. Kind of taste's like sweet candy soaked in alcohol. Some breadiness does eventually come in. Kind of takes over the booze and the tartness. The finish is that belgian yeast spiciness, which may be the only characteristic that tells me it's a quad.

Mouthfeel-After having a few undercarbonated beers lately it's nice to have this carbonated well. Medium bodied beer.

Overall-Usually whatever the beer gets for the taste will generally be for the most part my overall grade. However, it's tastes very good, and I could drink alot of this. Only thing is it's the same beer style as alot of heavy hitters I've had, ABT12, Roch10, exc.. Yea I know it's not exactly a "quad" but nonetheless, whatever style you want to call it, it's a tasty beer. At 14 bucks a pop though would I buy it again? maybe so...but I'd probably not.

SWMeyer4141, Nov 09, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Pours a clear amber/orange color. A two finger white head forms and recedes in a minute. Plenty of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Oak, fruits, toasted and buttery malt. More of a tart grape aroma comes out as this warms.
T: Again, oak, light tart fruits, toasted malt. Lightly buttery. Burnt sugars and caramel.
M/D: A medium body that is a bit thin. Not hard to drink. The alcohol is not showing at all. I can finish the bottle without a problem.

Interesting, and certainly enjoyable. I think Deschutes has done much better, but nothing wrong with this. Worth a try.

champ103, Nov 09, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was hoping the reviews had been wrong. Wasn't bad, I actually enjoyed it, mostly.

Poured into a standard pint glass that produced a single fingered off white head that diminished kinda quickly. The body was orange and slightly cloudy, not the prettiest. I smelled pomegranate, some cherries, and sour notes. Smelled more like a lambic than a quad. Very different taste than expected, some fruits detectable, but the vanilla and oak that followed were most prominent. Flavors are short lived and a bit mellow. Medium/light bodied with good carbonation.

Overall not bad, just didn't deserve to be a limited release.

tjkinate, Nov 08, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

I think this received a lot of hype when it came out, and a lot of backlash from that hype. But that’s old news now and in a way it’s good, because it gives one an opportunity to review and evaluate the beer on it’s merits.

First off, for a Belgian style quad this looks nothing like what I’d expect it to be. Not that I’m complaining, mind you. But it’s so… light! Not the burgundy amber I’d expect, but not the clear straw-golden color of, say, a triple. Somewhere inbetween. Apparently aged in wine barrels, and that definitely comes through on the dry finish. An experiment, hybrid, curious beer that’s no where near the monstrosity I was led to believe it would be.

elNopalero, Nov 08, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

A-Cloudy/translucent orange with a two finger head, doesn't stay around long but swirlling gets it back.

S-Fruity, pomegranate, wine

T-Interesting, combination of fruit. It have the pomegranate but also some of the darker fruits you'd expect from a Quad. The aging in the wine barrels in easily noticeable.

M-Lighter with some carbonation.

O-Am I disappointed? A little when compared to the other Deschutes Reserve beers. This one was unique. I have another bottle to age and we'll see what happens in a year. Although I'm not sure how much room there is for an increase.

rlee1390, Nov 05, 2011

A: 1/4" light honey coloured head over amber liquid.

S: Wine, oak, fruit (I could say pomegranate because I read the label like everyone else but I'll admit that my sense of smell isn't that refined) and yeast.

T: Alcohol up front and an oak and red wine finish. While these aren't the only flavours going on here, they are definitely the most prominent. It is quite a complex beer.

M: Medium viscosity and a high level of fine carbonation.

O: Complex flavours in a package with too much of an alcohol taste.

DaftCaskBC, Nov 04, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a New Belgium Snifter

A: Pours a light and slightly hazy golden. Some brown colors in there, the head is white and about one finger

S: Lots of bread, yeast and the pomegranate, some spices in there as well.

T: The beer is fairly smooth. Quad? Maybe not. Delicious? Yes Overpriced? Probably. Too much going on? Defnitely
I get a lot of the flavors mentioned, not a lot of the wine barrel, but a lot of dryness from the rye whiskey.

M: Lots of carbonation, the beer has a fairly light mouthfeel

O: Like I said, there is too much going on here. I appreciate the effort and ingenuity put into this beer, but it doesn't quite come off. I won't pay 12 dollars for it again, but I wouldn't turn it down from a friend.

DividedAvery, Nov 03, 2011