The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.

Cellared above 45 degrees for a year, and worth the time... without a doubt.

Unbelievable. I'm not sure if this beer it that remarkable or if its my love of quads coming through after not having had one in awhile. The look, the smell, the flavors, the texture, it has it all. I have to say it is a 5.0.

3.45/5  rDev -9%

This looks...unusual for a quad. Smells nice though. The beer in its entirety is...uninspiring. It was nice to drink, but not interesting enough to distract me to go write down some notes about it as I worked on other things. Slightly boozy with a bit of a burn. The pomegranate provides an interesting touch, but only a one dimensional one. If this is a quad, okay, I can roll with that...I guess. Overall though, it's not very interesting. A brewery like Deschutes has earned my respect by producing a lot of interesting beers that I really enjoy. However. This is not one of them. A miss, in my book.

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

Really didn't like this one as much as the folks at the bar had me anticipating. It's really, really strong. The complex flavor helps hide it a little, but between the tartness and the banana & yeasty in-your-face flavor, I couldn't even put the whole thing down. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I know I've had better. Maybe I expect Deschutes to knock it out of the park every time and I feel slightly disappointed.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Nice barrel aged take on a quad, albeit a bit short of its promise.

Presentation: 22 oz brown capped and waxed bottle. Light cream label trying to look aged with old burgundy typography over a small fading image of a saint/stoic character. Side notes offer a small narrative about characteristics and intent. Shows bottling date 08/04/12 and 11% Alc. by Vol. Served in a snifter.

A - Clear deep amber pour, 1/2" frothy head, medium to low retention, fair surface memory and some touches of lacing.

S - Faint fruity and yeasty nose, medicinal hint, pleasing with notes of malt under that first impression...

T - Yeasty, generic fruity notes over caramel and crushed sugar, a bit of plums, remote vinous notes, the barrels are so soft they almost feel absent.

M - Medium body with medium crisp carbonation, fairly smooth flow with a small dry touch as it finishes.

O - Pleasing quad, plenty of good qualities although a bit short of the ambitious program it presented.

Notes: Nice brew, no flaws really, but the barrel felt short of the delicate notes it promised, and similarly the same went for the addition of fruit.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Side poured from the 22oz bomber into a Chimay chalice and a tulip glass. I shared this with my dad, and was very excited about cracking it open given the price tag and the general tendency of Deschutes to crush beers out of the park. Best by 8/4/12.

Appearance - Pours a nice looking orange color with a sticky one finger head that leaves wicked good lacing on the sides of the glass. Cool packaging on the bottle, carbonation action can be seen in the glass.

Smell - Fruity for sure, pomegranate, sweet, tangy, and tart all at the same time. Sour cherries certainly play a big role in the smell, but there is a hint of yeast in the background as well.

Taste - The taste is a little unusual, it kind of seems like it clashes a bit. There is certainly your standard fruits from the nose, cherries, pomegranate, coriander, but there is also a funkiness and yeast that comes in as well. I was a little disappointed in the taste of this, as I typically expect Deschutes to destroy it. Maybe I expected too much, but it just didn't seem the taste was well put together. There was no whiskey taste at all, despite the aging in rye barrels.

Mouthfeel - Medium to big bodied, smooth finish with a slight yeasty funk in the aftertaste. Nothing wrong with it.

Overall - I would certainly recommend trying this beer, although I think I expected too much out of it. Given the price tag and the past brewery performance, I was expecting something phenomenal, but it was just a decent quad. Certainly not Three Philosophers, I'll tell you that. Worth a try though.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle shared thanks to Jim, thanks man.

The beer has an incredibly strange look for a quad, it pours like an ipa with a orange pretty clear lo and a ring of white head and some lacing.

Smell is definitely quad like with some some dark fruits with the pomegranate there for sure, brown sugar, Belgian yeast, alcohol ester and heat and sweetness. Nice vanilla too.

The flavor is complex, the pomegranate has a nice platform as the fruity note with nice Belgian yeast and a healthy brown sugar and toffee like sweetness. A nice dryness and also a healthy depth of flavor at the same time. Vanilla. It's complex but at the same time it doesn't seem to have the direction and sofistication of the big Belgian quads, but it's still nice, but a touch muddled.

3.59/5  rDev -5.3%

22 oz bomber of the 2011 vintage pours a surprisingly golden color with a modest off-white head. Best by 08/04/12, it seems like it could go another year or so though. Not much retention and lacing. A pretty poor excuse for a quad if you ask me.

Nose has an awesomely interesting combination of wine and whiskey barrels. Tangy, tart, sweet and malty. Very vinous, and a bit hot smelling still after a year or so.

Taste has mellowed since it was released a bit and the flavors have come together a little bit better. I like the bready aspect the malt gives off despite the light color. The flavors are still a bit odd together though and I think the ABV is unnecessarily high at 11%. The pomegranate seems to clash a bit with the soft yeast and propagates an alcoholic feel. If you want something different, this is your beer. I am not a huge fan it though, especially for a Deschutes specialty brew.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

A - Pours a very hazy golden-orange color with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of Belgian yeast esters including banana and clove, sweet caramel malts, candi sugars, oak, wine grape, vanilla, pomegranate, a bit of lemon, and some booze.

T - Starts off with some Belgian yeast with banana, clove, and bit of coriander, with some caramel malts and candi sugars, and a bit of vanilla. Through the middle, some oak and vanilla comes through with a bit of wine grapes, Bourbon, and a bit of dark fruit and pomegranate. The finish is a mix of Belgian yeast flavors with some banana, clove, oak, grape, pomegranate, candi sugar, and some booze.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and warming finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice balance of flavors and the barrel aging adds to the beer nicely. Not really a Quad, but still very tasty.

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from 22oz bomber to over-sized Mikkeller wine glass. Best by 08/04/12. I thought this one would be a worthy candidate for aging but if they insist otherwise, who am I to disagree?

Pours a hazy gold with hints of brown and ruby. A finger of sticky, well-laced head suggests a bit of alcohol.

What a bright smelling beer... overripe cherries, mellow woods, dates, some spicy yeast, licorice, plum, lots of goodness.

Tons of balance. No discernible alcohol presence. Those standard quad fruits make an obvious appearance. Bits of vanilla and caramel come with the wood notes. There's a lot here and it evolves continuously with warmth.

A great beer that I think just has too much going on if you're seeking a run-of-the-mill Belgian style quad. If you know what to expect, though, you'll keep coming back for more.

2.12/5  rDev -44.1%

Made a mess getting the wax off- I hate when breweries dip the mouth of the bottle in wax, which admittedly may prejudice me against it.
A: Pale orange, a little cloudy, with a great deal of sediment. You may want to pretend you're pouring a fine wine when you pour this beer; do it very slowly and carefully. Overall, looks fine.
S: Sour cherries is the best way I can describe it. Very unusual for a quad, actually rather reminds me of a fruit lambic. I hate lambics.
T: The taste reminds me of a lambic too. The flavor is lighter, fruitier and less complex than a typical quad.
M: Not bad, reasonably smooth. I don't feel the urge to spit it out, anyway.

Overall I didn't like it. It really isn't very representative of the style in my opinion, and where it diverges from the norm it does so in ways that I personally find unpleasant. I seriously considered tossing it out after the first sip, which is something I never do. To be fair, it did grow on me a bit over the course of the bottle, which may have something to do with the high alcohol content; it doesn't taste nearly as strong as it actually is. To each his own I suppose, but I won't be buying it again.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

A bottle from Blue Dog in PA, a little trickle of stuff flew in during beer week. Saw this and never had it.

Off with the wax, The Stoic is lighter in color than your average dark Belgian Quad. A amberish deep orange color grace the glass with some beige bubbles up towards the top. Good retention, minor stick.

Smell is straight up Pommegrane and Rye. The oak and whiskey are not so large with a malty quad base. Some cherry with caramel and orange. I dig the smell, it beats a mound of Candi sugar all day.

The malty sweetness is not lost here in taste. Some sugar and malt come up, but not at St. Bernardus levels. The Pommegrant and Rye barrels really shine and make way for some woody flavor with warming, yet none of the whiskey, which is fine by me.

I see they say drink this bottle in a year. I guess you could age this, but I would agree that some of the ripe rye and etc will get lost, as this will only become more sweet with time and dare I say it, more like a regular quad. The body was a sturdy medium with bubbles and activity on the mouth, just a small splash of alcohol.

Drink it up.

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%

Best 08/04/12

Pours amber with a finger of cream colored head. Some head retention & lacing

S: Cherries, oakyness, vanillas

T: Follows the nose, a touch of Chardonnay & sourness up front. A touch of vanilla & oak, cherry tartness & some raisin as this warms, a touch of warming booze as well there's a bit of pineapple & grapefruit showing up as well. Finishes with much tropical fruityness, some citrus bitterness, Chardonnay dryness

MF: Fairly chewy with slight carbonation & dryness

A super solid quad with a barrel aged twist. I would buy this again & age it just to see how that rolls

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

22oz waxed bomber bottle. Best Before Date of 8/4/12. Poured this one into a Lost Abbey tulip.

Reviewing this as a "beer" not based on style, as this is not a traditional Quad by any stretch.

A: Pours a cloudy hazy orange color. About a half finger of slightly off white head. Nicely carbonated. You can see ting bubbles streaming off the bottom of the glass.

S: I don't smell any oak or barrel. I get tart cherry mostly. Almost sour like. Also, there is some clove or spice of some sort. I have heard comparisons to a blend of sour and hefe and I can see that here.

T: I get some tart cherry right up front. Then some sweet maltiness goodness. It IS sort of like a Hefe and a sour had baby. It's not a quad. Getting that banana note. Some of that clove-ish flavor. But it's not bad beer. Clean finish.

M: it's not full, more medium.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

The beer pours a pale orange color with a white head that sticks around for the entire time it takes to sip on this tasty treat.

The aroma is dominated by isoamylacetate and sugar with some malt lying in the background.

The first sip hits you with banana, malt, alcohol, sugar, and is sweet and sticky. It is very tasty.

Overall the beer is rather enjoyable. It just does not mesh with what my idea of a quad is very well. It is pale, there are no toffee, caramel, dark fruit, or other typical quad flavors present. The beer states on the label that it was made with pomegranates, they do not come through at all. However, this is still a great beer and I would highly recommend it.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

22 oz bottle best by

A - Caramel orange in color, crystal clear, with plenty of chunky sediment that made it out of the bottle. I need to pour more carefully next time! Half a finger of tan head lasts for a long while.

S - Orange blossom, rye whiskey notes, sweet with lightly spicy yeast. Some clove and a bit of pear. Pomegranate is subtle but adds a nice fruit character

T - Really complex. Definite vinous and oak character. Pomegranate. Rye whiskey. Spicy with clove and rye. Mellows out in the end with sweeter pomegranate. Bready, too. Unripe pear. A very sweet beer, with adjuncts like pomegranate providing the bulk of that flavoring, but it is also sharply spiced.

M - Medium in body, way too watery. This is very wet throughout, and not as chewy as I want it to be.

O - A very unique and very tasty quad. The additions made by Deschutes by aging the beer in barrels and adding pomegranate really stand out and make this a beer unlike any other I have had. There is only a hint of alcohol in this 11% beer. I will look forward to this each year.

2.04/5  rDev -46.2%

From 22oz black wax dipped bottle to CBS snifter on 5/12/12
*From notes

A: Clean, slightly chill hazy orange-amber in hue. A standard pour yields a 1.25 finger white head. No real lacing, decent collar.

S: Ugh. A Quad that smells like chipotle chilis. Awesome. It's got this odd, Mexican spice vibe that is wholly unlikable. As it warms, I do get a touch of Sauvignon Blanc must.

T: Not good. Not good at all. Pork fat and liquid smoke reign supreme. Letting this warm does nothing for the beer, as I begin to get an overload of rotting pimento. There's a kick of sweetness on the finish that sticks out like a sore thumb. Not a single facet of the flavor profile succeeds in accomplishing anything remotely close to average or above.

M: Well the carbonation is pretty pleasant. The weight could be better, but it's not out of line, just a bit lacking.

O: After falling in love with Hardywood's Bourbon Cru (a Bourbon Barrel Quad) the night before, I was stoked to finally break into my one and only bottle of the Stoic. You can imagine my disappointment and frustration with what I found. This should have been an exceptional beer, all the elements are there for success. Yet in the end, the finished product comes nowhere close to quaffable.

A major failure from a consistantly solid brewery. Do everything in your power to stay far, far away from this train wreck in a bottle.

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a white head. Color is a bright golden orange.

Aroma: A lot of fruits. Oranges and pomegranate. French oak with rye spice. Wine flavors. Belgian yeast, bananas, and cloves.

Taste: Mimics the nose, but it is very yeasty and bready. Reminds me of an amped up wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Dry and spiced. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends really dry.

Overall, a unique beer. Not a quad in my book. No clue as to what this really is, style-wise. But, I kind of like it. Somewhat drinkable.

3.6/5  rDev -5%

Poured a 22oz bomber into a Chimay goblet, careful not to disturb yeast sediment on first pour. Best by 08/04/12.

A: Darker orange, coppery color, more translucent than most quads. Thin white head dissipates quickly.

S: Sweet malts up front. Pomegranate more pronounced as the drink warms. Spicy notes with oak in the background.

T: Sweet and bready malts up front. Faint hop bitterness in the middle. Finish is dry and woody/oak. Spicy alcohol and pomegranate sweetness are also there.

O: Enjoyed this more when stirring up the yeast sediment for the second pour; it added a good funk/slight sour and more spiciness. Glad I let this sit outside of the fridge a while as it gets better as it warms.

3.47/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into my CBS snifter. It poured orange amber in color with just a trace amount of white lacing clinging to the edges of the glass.

The aroma is very floral, fruity and spicy with the Belgian yeast spices playing a big role in the flavors. The fruity, sweet, almost honey like pomegranate juice mixes with a little of the wine barrel character. The fruity, sweetness is a little too overpowering though unfortunately, and I don't get any of the rye whiskey barrel.

The taste is also dominated by the sweet, fruity, juiciness and the Belgian yeast spice. Again, I get some hints of the wine barrel, but none of the whiskey. The finish is dry with the spices and a little more of the wine barrel to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a decent and interesting beer, but not one that really stands out. The sweet, sugary, fruitiness and spice dominated a little too much and seemed to overshadow some of the flavors I was looking forward to unfortunately.

4.27/5  rDev +12.7%

From notes... Another gem that was a part of a recent trade from joemcgrath27.

A - Pours a slightly hazy copper brown colour, finger of head with some retention and no real lacing.

S - Cloves and bananas, juicy fruit gum, bubble gum and some yeast phenols.

T - Nice balance between sugary fruit sweetness and a sour bitterness. Bananas and cloves dominate alongside a hint of abv heat, the juicy fruit gum comes through and a hint of wooden oak and peat on the finish.

M - Medium bodied, but can come across as heavily carbonated, smooth going down adn a hint of dryness on the finish.

O - Complex and flavourful, incredibly (and dangerously) drinkable at 11%, and all around world class. Certainly a fruitier take on the style, so if you're not into the sweetness you might not find it as enjoyable. I on the other hand wish all quad's had this sweetness to them. Delicious!

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

the stoic is one heck of an interesting beer. pours murky light amber color with a slight pink tint and an effervescent white head. looks much lighter than most quads ive had, coming in almost honey colored rather than that deep caramel color im accustomed to in these. it smells tart and sour, yeasty, and lots of fresh fruit. the flavor is much more tempered by the wood aging, and the rye flavors come through very nicely and compliment the tartness of the pomegranates. never really tasted anything quite like this, its oaky, almost sour, and even flowery in the yeast. feel is very excited carbonation and a lighter to medium body. alcohol flavor and feel is entirely absent. amazing. this would be quite drinkable except for the abv strength. overall another exceptional beer from deschutes. theyve got to be one of the finest operations in the country.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

22 oz wax-dipped bottle poured into a snifter.
Best By 08/04/12, 11% ABV

Thanks to Wisrarebeer for this bottle!

A - Bright maple golden in color, The Stoic is a light-colored quad with just slight cloudiness hazing it. The densely-packed ivory head dots the snifter in lace as it settles slowly.

S - Abundantly spicy, The Stoic showcases Belgian yeast doin' it's thing; earthy clay, cardamom, coriander seed, and trances of banana Runt fruitiness. The complexity goes much deeper, however; fruity alcohol including raisin and light cherry, oak-infused white grapes, and a very faint vinegar-like wine aspect. Sharp rye whiskey is noticeable through the finish but almost as an afterthought in how complex the beer smells.

T - Yeast takes center stage again, pushing past all the other goings-on to provide light banana and spicy earth notes. Pomegranate is much more noticeable and serves the beer well with it's underlying wine characteristics. Sweet white grape and warm, boozy alcohol immediately follow and segue into the caramel-malty finish.

M - Warming phenol alcohol is strong in this one! Subtle-yet-gripping, it faintly things out the round, full-bodied mouthfeel that finishes with a tickle of higher carbonation. Lip-smacking dryness is welcome as it begs for another sip, quietly, without being bothersome.

O - Similar to a lightly spiced holiday dessert wine, The Stoic exudes significant complexity. Within it's extensive production process, this classic style undergoes a wonderful transformation into an elegant sipping beer with a broad depth of unique flavors to satisfy even the most discerning palate.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had this beer before but it still surprised me how light it pours, gold, with just a touch of orange and a very small white head that recedes quickly. The aroma is very sweet, lots of complex fruity belgian yeast esters, lots of berries, overripe strawberries, blueberries, slightly acidic smelling but not in a sour way. Some definite light caramel maltiness in the background and a touch of oaky tannins. The taste is nice, similar to the aroma but slightly more muted, not as bright. Very light bitterness, just enough to balance the high notes of the flavor. The mouthfeel is nice, very smooth, especially for 11%. Overall a friend shared a bottle of this a while back and I decided to pick up a bottle for myself, not quite as good as the top level Belgian quads but a very decent American attempt at the style.

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

Been loving some Belgians lately and I cracked this one open on a particularly muggy April evening...

Sweet boozy aromas are almost overwhelming right up front. The pomengranates are definitely prevalent as is the barrel aging as there is quite a bit of vinous quality to this. I'm getting some of the bourbon barrel as well but I'm not digging it like I do in Boulevard's version. Aromas all over the place...

Sweet and boozy... Vinous and raw... More bourbon burn than I was expecting and not as much flavor as I was hoping... A rare miss from this brewery for me... I like Deschutes a lot and everything I've ever had from them has been amazing but this doesn't do it for me. I finished but... it was work.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a goblet, best by 8/04/12. This pours a slightly hazy golden color with a short lived white head. The smells are of belgian yeast esters, banana, brown sugar, other malts. The feel is medium a little tingly. The taste is disappointing, a little yeast, some sugar, some bitterness.

The Stoic from Deschutes Brewery