The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

The StoicThe Stoic

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011)
GregSVT

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a light orange with a white head that fades to a ring and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is very interesting. Floral notes of wine, green apples, and vanilla. The barrels have taken over here but it smells very nice.

T: The taste mimics the nose with big sweet flavors of apples, grapes, vanilla, and malt. A little overly sweet and nothing to balance it out.

M: The feel is on the lighter side of medium bodied and nearly flat.

O: While this isn't very quad like it does smell a lot like the barrels it was in which is what most barrel aged beers turn out to be. That being said the flavor was a bit too sweet and the beer going flat halfway through the glass is a bit concerning.

09-13-2011 04:20:51 | More by GregSVT
philmcguinn

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip on 9-12-2011

Reviewing this as a beer and not on it's faithfulness to the Belgian Quad style.

Pours an light amber hue with thin lacing on the top, dissipating quickly.

Smells of fruits, belgian yeast, some alcohol heat, figs. raisins. Apricots and bananas come through in the nose as well.

Mouthfeel is fairly creamy, with apricot and raisin flavors coming through foremost. If it didn't say pomegranate on the side, I wouldn't know it was in there. A lot of alcohol on the finish but it's not unpleasant (might be my tolerance for high alcohol beers), and a pretty dry finish, possibly from the barrel aging. Not noticing any rye whiskey flavor but pleasant heat going down. Lingering flavors of banana and clove and dryness on the tongue.

I like this beer a lot. There are a lot of great fruit flavors that I've found in other American Belgian Style beers, and the barrel aging adds a certain dryness that just makes me want to try another sip. There were a few bottles of this at the Whole foods near my work, I may have to snag a couple more after the good experience with this one.

09-13-2011 01:16:47 | More by philmcguinn
Beaver13

Colorado

2.13/5  rDev -44.4%

22oz bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a medium creamy white head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sugary caramel malts, banana and cloves, some grassy hops and quite a bit of plasticky alcohol.

The flavor is very sweet sugary malts with some fruitiness, and a bit of slightly burnt bitter alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation, slightly watery.

Overall, it's a bit of a mess. Way too cloying and alcoholic. I'll take a St Bernardus anytime over this.

09-12-2011 05:19:07 | More by Beaver13
chugalug06

Colorado

A - Very nice clear amber color with limited bubbles. Head also is limited. *some* lacing remains, but nothing worth noting. Very basic appearance, other than fine clarity of brew.

S - Very nice and smooth! Some great Belgian hints really come out. Nice banana, apple, and spices.

T - WHA! Strong heat! Needs many months to calm down and relax. there's some awesome sugars to still ferment and I think this will definitely help with the uncomfortable ABV.

M - HEAT! Perfect carbonation. Zero bitterness. I would love to rate this brew higher, but the heat is overwhelming!!!

O - I hope to re-review this brew in a year or so and give it a better rating. Kind of a disappointment, but super glad I FINALLY got to try it after many months of anticipation.

09-12-2011 03:23:45 | More by chugalug06
feloniousmonk

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

The Stoic, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Oregon, A Prized, Potent Belgian-styled Quad of Stirring Depth and Complexity. …well, there, I don't need to say anything more, right?) The Stoic, malt beverage brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% beoing aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% aged in oak rye whiskey barrels.

Clear, deep amber hue, slim head. Looks nice, despite the meager foam.

Aroma: the barrels speak first, oak and rye come right out of the nose, fruit and alcohol (11%) come next. Deep, while delicate. Pomegranate is here, accompanied by pear and apple.

Taste: Bright, ripe fruit, as before, apple, pear, pomegranate, met with cherries and berries. A switch of spice comes shining through, and the oak rises up, as well. It all coalesces, in an intriguing bl
end.

Was it red wine in the oak barrels? Not sure, but I can feel that flavor coming through. I am glad they judiciously aged a mere 1/3 of the brew, for too much would be overpowering, and I appreciate some subtlety more than ever these days.

Malt makes a good match for the high alcohol. No hops, low bitterness, but fine, funky fruit flavor, and beautiful oak additions. I'm loving this. Stirring Depth and Complexity, indeed. I've made fast friends with this Stoic.

09-11-2011 08:52:04 | More by feloniousmonk
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

** Reviewing this on on the merits of the brew, because it is no where near traditional Quad territory.**

Pour into my HotD goblet.. Aggressive pour .... foamy 1" off white head.. decent retention and only spotty lacing.. the brew is crystal clear lite orange...

The nose shows a quality mix of traditional esters and phenols... pear and white pepper... overripe apples and lite clove.. interesting.... subtle barrel notes, but again, very subtle.

Flavor is a melange of the above noted Belgian qualities.. Asian pears and apple with musky honey essence.. just a bit of clove... more estery than phenolic on the palate.. a bit of oak... definitely more of the wine barrel comes out than the whiskey barrel.. lite pink bubblegum with warmth...

Body is about right.. carbonation seems in range too... maybe a bit syrupy.

I am really surprised Deschutes decided to call this one a "Quad" .... no where close except maybe the yeast strain.... A pretty good BSPA ... still too much residual sweetness .... but a Quad? No chance.

I will probably buy some of these for the cellar and trading, but I honestly do believe it will get better with some aging... but it will never be a Quad.... damn... "Quad" .. big mistake in marketing.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5

09-11-2011 07:52:34 | More by JohnGalt1
ocelot2500

Arizona

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a hazy golden amber with a tight, frothy white head that leaves small chunks of lacing.

Smells of a bit of a white wine character with bright fruits and spices.

Tastes of sweet fruits up front with a spice layering. Notes of banana, grape, and apple come through ending in pomegranate. Comes through with a syrupy sweetness. A bit of toasted bread sits in the middle leading in to the spices. Notes of clove mostly to me. I do detect some rye as well, but it feels out of place and doesn't mix with the fruit well. Alcohol comes through fairly strong and leaves a decisive burning in the chest.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, I like this, but it probably has to do with my love of pomegranates. I wouldn't really recommend this, because I feel like Deschutes is just trying to do too much.

09-11-2011 02:56:35 | More by ocelot2500
Zorro

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Chill hazed amber colored beer with a very tall near white colored head.

Smell is sour. Sour apples and cranberry with vanilla and oak. Little bit of coriander and perhaps a little Brett funk. Mostly though this smells sour.

Starts out sweet with a malt and vanilla taste. Fruit flavor mostly green apple with the oak vanilla flavor. Kind of a Rorschach test for your tongue lots of elusive flavors here but not any really strong ones. Alcohol is very detectable, strong burn in the chest. This gets sweeter as you drink it.

Mouthfeel is OK.

This seems to be a beer that is confused about what it wants to be. Doesn't taste bad but doesn't really taste like a Quad either. Reminds me of one of those weird beers DFH makes based on archeology. Worth a try I guess.

09-10-2011 23:04:36 | More by Zorro
kbutler1

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle. Poured into a NB tulip glass a medium copper color with a white head that quickly settles to collar around the glass. Closing my eyes the aroma is decenlty strong belgian yeast aromatics; clove, banana, fruity, etc, I wouldn’t say that pomegranate sticks out here. Malty, some biscuit, a light tartness, spice, herbal, all come out in the flavor. Again, not overly a pom taste. Bubblegum and some green apple. Rye whickey barrel? Really? What was the point as it doesn’t come out to me really. I’m not hating this for what it is but for what went into it, it’s not the best, it’s decent but that about it. Medium mouthfeel.

09-10-2011 03:57:45 | More by kbutler1
cbarrett4

Oregon

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from tap at Deschutes Portland:

Poured a dark amber - reddish brown hue. Very little head, almost no lace, good carbonation. Pretty average look for an American quad.

Smells nicely of spice, honey, and rye but oddly not too much of Belgian yeast... Also not picking up much from the barrel aging...

Flavors focus on a banana, apple, spice, rye core with some alcohol really pushing through. A hint of spice. I do get a faint flavor from the barrel maturation. Pretty good palate.

Texture is good, medium body, but a bit light for a quad, little grip, but the alcohol is oppressive, it really overwhelms. There is nowhere near enough body or texture to stand up to it.

A very good beer by most standards, but I expect more from Deschutes, especially for one of their reserve series. I have enjoyed several seasonal dubbel, trippel, and quadrupel offerings that were not in their reserve line which expressed a truer Belgian heart than this beer. I think it has potential, but I will not be purchasing this anytime soon. I'll spend my dollars on Jubel 2010, Abyss, and Black Butte XXIII.

09-09-2011 19:11:23 | More by cbarrett4
TheDudeRules

2.17/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

A rich copper color with a fingers worth of head. Lasts a bit and leaves some lacing.

Let's cut to the chase. It can be aged with this and or that.... But the reality is we have clove wrapped in clove that really brings out the cloviness of the clove. A one trick pony. Sweet clove suck garbage. Invent something else.

Let's move on.

09-09-2011 03:38:35 | More by TheDudeRules
OBeerMeGreatOne

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy gold with a half inch head. The lace is gone pretty quick.

Pale malts, band-aid, funk and fruit start the smell, oak finishes it off.

Pomegranate and heavy oak wine barrel start the taste. Very nice Belgian yeasts show up pretty quick along with a touch of earthy and mineral hops. A touch of rye spice finishes it off, can't taste the booze, but I sure feel it. The mouth is just under medium bodied, not too syrupy.

I told the dude that I didn't drink quads too often (just rarely in the mood) and he told me it wasn't a traditional quad (it isn't) so I grabbed one. I love Deschutes and am very glad to have been able to try their take on the style.

09-08-2011 22:15:55 | More by OBeerMeGreatOne
Ghenna

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Last bottle from the Natomas Bevmo, the first I had seen of it.

Poured from a waxed bomber. Delightful light copper with a white quickly dissolving head.

Smells pleasantly malt sweet with solid Belgian fruity esters, caramel as well. Quite inviting, and no boozieness despite the 11%.

Taste, in a word, beautiful. Lots of belgian spiceness and esters, with a nice residual sweetness that I imagine would go away with age. It isn't super complex, and is actually really easy drinking for a quad, but it is nice. The wife even enjoys this one.

I guess if I had to describe this, I would call this an easy drinking quad (at least at present)- but overall just a really good beer. While this isn't as complex as the other beers in their reserve series, I find myself still really enjoying this brew. I will definitely pick up a few bottles to age and see how it gets more complex.

09-07-2011 04:09:24 | More by Ghenna
John_M

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

On tap at the Portland brewpub.

The beer pours a fairly dark gold color with pretty good head retetion nand light lacing. On the nose, the clove aroma really dominates, though I also pick up considerable spice, light clover honey and a hint of bananna. The flavor profile repilcates the nose pretty closely in this fairly sweet quad style beer, though there's enough underlying bitterness so that the beer doesn't tire out the palate too quickly. Still, the sweetness, amount of spice and noticeable alcohol make this beer very much a sipper. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, fairly sweet, spice infused finish.

A nice enough beer, but probably not something I would seek out or want to have on too many occasions.

09-05-2011 16:30:04 | More by John_M
velosuds

Oregon

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Stoic - one apparently or professedly indifferent to pleasure or pain, according to the dictionary. This, I don't think, exemplifies Deschutes. But, when it comes to innovating in the face of naysayers, then The Stoic seems apt. When I first tasted this at the brewery in April (beer mail me for details if you wish), I thought it should be named The Sophist, for the "wise one." Deschutes is not indifferent to brewing great beer, and for innovating, just indifferent to the fads, trends, of the craft brew industry, and perhaps the opinion of others. For this, I am a thankful, loyal, customer.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Deschutes snifter. Paid $12.99 at Capital Market in Salem; may have bought the last 3 bottles in town - glad I have two more. Love the artwork on the label; very nostalgic. Reminiscent of my Renaissance and Reformation era studies in college.

A-Pours a slightly hazy copper-orange hue, thankfully without yeast particles, with a two finger, egg shell white head with modest retention and some lacing.

S-Fruity, malty, sweet, and sour (in a pleasant way - from the yeast I suspect). Nice aroma is dominated by dark dried fruits like raisins, figs, dates, but also bananas, caramel malts, and spices. More fruit than sweetness.

T-Prominent flavors include orchard fruits like peaches and pears, with raisins and caramel undertones present. Also, there is more bitterness than the 20 IBUs would suggest from the hops. Perhaps it is from the time spent in Oak Rye Whiskey Barrels. Whatever the cause, the taste is great. Not everything a Belgian Quad enthusiast might want, but I consider this, and positively so, an Americanized, aka bastardized, Belgian-styled quad. The Belgian yeast is clearly present, but I suspect, given Deschutes' reputation, artful use of hops (something Belgians are not nearly as acquainted with) contributed to the "stirring depth & complexity" I experienced.

M-Very smooth for 11% ABV. Carbonation level is spot on. Alcohol is only noticeable form the barrel aging. Remarkable in a beer of this gravity.

O-Drinkability is awesome for a beer this big. I like what Deschutes has done with this. In fact, I liked it before the barrel aging. I do hope Deschutes will continue its innovative forays into the craft brew world after Larry Sidor's departure. Best wishes to Larry in his new endeavors. I believe there is room for more breweries to accompany craft brew icons like Deschutes, which Sidor helped make.

09-05-2011 06:53:56 | More by velosuds
shwillivanilli

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

poured into a tulip

a- poured a clean, bright, nice dark golden, almost orange. thick white head from free pour. left a thin thin head, with a good amount of lacing

s- i can smell light hops, citrus, pomegranate. wisp of the rye, and oak. with a slight tartness from the wine barrel.

t- light fruit note, rye and oak. some funk form the wine, tartness. nice long finish

m- surprisingly thin for the abv, nice a bubbly. great carbonation

o- this beer is very different in its self. i can see the argument on it not being a true belgian quad. but maybe thats why i like it so much? great complexity, very balance. blends a lot of different qualities of beer into one. very unique, i enjoy this beer a lot.

09-05-2011 02:51:24 | More by shwillivanilli
Moon2Goddess

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Oh, Deschutes, I am growing more and more fond of you! I poured the bottle into a Deschutes tulip whom cradled its contents like a protective mother.

Appearance: A lovely ginger-orange spice-autumn leaves kind of vibe. Head is a soft yellow, not very high or thick, porous and settles quickly.

Aroma: Nicely pungent, each whiff offering another entity. Very easy to detect the oak, and a surprising smokey quality. Has a barley and hop scent, does not contain that Belgian malt that sends my heart into palpitations.

Texture: Medium body, leaves a nice coating behind. As it warmed, the texture became more and more lovely, almost buttery, making me come back for more. Quite carbonated, a slight whiskey burn in the back of your throat. A lighter beer with some balls actually. Aftertaste film is glamorous and satisfying.

Flavor: Definitely a quad, but not necessarily Belgian. It's like they traced a Belgian with tracing paper, but couldn't duplicate it free-hand. Still delicious, just not reflective of the true Belgian craft--respectable attempt though. Like a quad it evolves and volleys its play on flavors, each taking turns showing off for me. Reminds me of a barely wine in some ways, very fruity, grassy, with a hint of wine, but oak is the predominant flavor. The pomegranate was quiet, but as expected, the warmth gently coaxed her out of hiding. Overall, I enjoyed this immensely and would want this one again.

09-04-2011 04:51:47 | More by Moon2Goddess
dirtylou

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

on-tap, Naked City

appearance: served in an unbranded goblet - maybe a 10oz pour. lifeless clear copper syrup

smell: strong alcohol presence - white grape, spice, clove, yeast

taste: Certainly not true to style - overly sweet with copious amounts of banana, pear, and grape. Clove and allspice clash with fierce burning alcohol. Unsuccessful.

mouthfeel: sweet, syrupy

overall: Not great - glad I didnt drop $14 on a bomber to confirm this

09-03-2011 16:30:40 | More by dirtylou
impending

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

22oz into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear fiery copper, little head even with an encouraging pour, minor lacing. Georgous

Expressive aroma, tremendous depth, rich in spices - clove and cardamom. No dark fruits, all light skinned.

Flavor is difficult to label at first. Sweets begin by enveloping the tongue. Phenols kick in as a substitute for bitter. The aftertaste begins dry and leaves a long lingering undefined echo that immediately outstays its welcome. The alcohol while not too far forward is overt. If there is any barrel to be found it might be in a pinot noir twang. Medium bodied mouthfeel, initial sips brought forth sensations of tin foil.

Deschutes, you had me at pomegranate molasses, how intriguing
I didn't find it

I have complete respect for the brewers but why market this as a quad?
incomprehensible
cheers
jd

09-03-2011 04:44:07 | More by impending
julian

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Lots of debate whether this is actually a "Quad" or not. Personally, I consider a Quadrupel a legitimate Belgian style and when I think of that style I think of a darker, maltier, thicker beer. With that said, I am not an EXPERT on the history of Belgian styles and can't be for certain whether this beer violates the style it's so definitely categorized as. Therefore, I'm going to rate this beer on its own merits, and not as any particular style.

A: Almost crystal clear, medium-light amber in color with a minimal showing of off white head that quickly retreats and leaves a thin, sporadic film on the surface. 4.0

S: Smell is of ripe orchard apples, with a Belgian yeast profile you'd normally find in Golden Strong ales like Duvel or Orval. Some vinous notes, perhaps from the wine barrel aging. 3.5

T&M: Taste consists of light apple fruitiness with a bit of tartness (very mild tartness but there), some white wine mixed with wood backed up by a hefty malt body and some residual alcohol. The ABV is hardly noticeable other than a vague warming in the throat after a few sips. This drinks very smooth from the first sip to the last. Carbonation is perfect. Goes down easy. 4.0 / 4.5

O: Not sure what else to say. I think I could probably tell this wasn't brewed in Belgium, but it's definitely got a lot of Belgian characteristics. It is NOT what I expected it to be, but for what it is; a belgian style BEER, it's great. I just have trouble putting this in the category the brewer did. 4.0

09-01-2011 04:35:21 | More by julian
Docer

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Pours a clear new copper penny color. Big fat finger of fizzy white head.. has settled to a large lace making ring, and thin light fluffy pillow above the fluids. Seems rather bubbly like a sparkling wine.

Smell: (4.0)
- The smell is fantastic. Large copious amounts of clove, and Belgian-like banana yeast. Very bready, lightly sweet, and spicy. Light citrus notes, grassy hops, roasted honey, and crispy currants. Not bad. A little sweet smelling, and perhaps green.

Taste: (4.0)
- Seems like a quad to me. Fruity sweet candies, Belgian sugars perhaps, bright currants and pomegranate do shine with an acidic quality. They do however sit in front of what many may know as a golden Belgian quad. It is there, but it is subtle behind the tweaks, and complex creation. I rather like it, and think it could turn out even better after about 6 months. Just a touch too acidic currently, but really does have the good qualities of a fine quad. I get maybe just a touch of oak and rye bittering, but not enough. Guessing a larger % of barrel blended would have been better.

Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- It's a tad thin, as a quad should be. A little more towards the light bodied side, while a tad syrupy. It is finely carbonated, and I am sure would remain so, if not more so over a little time. Little sticky sweet, and wateringly acidic.

Overall: (3.5)
- It's a great brew. But it does in fact fall short for me, compared to their other 'Reserve' series beers. It is also off the beaten path for them as a brewer as well. I am more impressed with rare brews like their sour saison compared to this. It's not one to cellar for over a year, and it is also not a beer to rave about, and include into the hype machine. But overall I sense the solid quad backing, and like the steps taken to create such a complex, and unique brew. I would love to try it again in another 8 months or so.

09-01-2011 01:38:19 | More by Docer
paytonpowell

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Served at cellar temperature

A: Rich amber with reddish hues phenomenally clear with little head.

S: Immediately greeted with wonderful scent of pomegranate my inclination is that the sour scent comes from not just fruit but the oak wine barrels it aged in (my guess is a Cabernet) unfortunately no rye detected.

T: Super Belgian right off the bat, the pomegranate is not as strong in the taste as it is in the nose however it adds to the dry Cab Sauv taste. For a quad it is incredibly light and sweet but the dry alcohol content is so noticeable it almost takes away from the brew, thankfully however it is balanced with the fruit qualities to make it unique. Where is the rye cask??? Seriously...

M: Not thick, chewy and sticky like a regular quad but still quite dry and a perfect effervescence.

O: This is a beer that exemplifies the need to age certain special releases this is a big beer that will be fully realized in a year and a half to two years, hopefully then the rye will begin to shine and the fruit will mingle with that to make a stellar beer. I hope more people take into account that this and other beers needs some growth before they are truly realized.

08-31-2011 22:46:40 | More by paytonpowell
DaveHS

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

A-Pours clear chestnut amber, much lighter than any quad I've ever seen with a half inch of fizzy, light khaki head that's gone almost as fast as it arrives. No lacing, but lots of tiny bubbles making their way up from the bottom of the glass. Plenty of carbonation from the looks of it.

S-White grape juice sweetness, a little allspice, some slick, clovey Belgian yeast.

T/M-The first thing that strikes me about STOIC is how sweet it is. Flavors of honey and pear juice. Then you're hit with a fistful of intense spiciness mid-palate that throws any semblance of order or concept out the window. The finish is dry and boozy, leaving a chalky film on the palate. Full bodied and syrupy with fizzy carbonation.

O-In many ways, this reminds me of the North Coast Grand Cru. Too light for the style, syrupy, boozy, unfocused, not enough barrel character for a beer claiming barrel aging as an attribute. This one has the added detriment of being unpleasantly over spiced. Not a fan of this one.

08-31-2011 02:32:15 | More by DaveHS
barleywinefiend

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Poured a golden orange color with good carbonation and a nice white cap

S: Pomegrenate, rye, light whiskey and oak

T: Begins with a syrupy flavor, some pomegranate, white grapes, hint at booze, rye and vanilla on the finish

M: Sordove thin for a beer of thius magnitude and complexity

O: Not to bad but sometimes to much fancy pants blending is overdone. Keeping ti simple is always a good thing too.

08-30-2011 20:46:37 | More by barleywinefiend
grittybrews

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured a brillant rose-tinged orange amber into a tulip with a finger of tight white head and lots of bubbles. Aroma of yeasty banana, honey, and light clove.

Slightly high carbonation and a light, crisp mouthfeel. Hints of cherry up front followed by honey/caramel sweetness, banana, and some more mild spice followed by a rush of boozy warmth. Lingering notes of oak and pomegranate.

Full-flavored and not overly sweet. Doesn't conceal the higher ABV, but remains pretty darn easy-drinking nonetheless.

08-29-2011 04:29:37 | More by grittybrews