The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

The StoicThe Stoic

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011)
4.43/5  rDev +16%

Poured a deep caramel color with one finger white head. The tiny bubbles are like an eye candy appetizer for the beer. The nose suggests its complexities with caramel, spices, sweet fruit, and pungent lemon and banana notes over the course of my 22 oz bomber. The carbonation makes this light and airy to offset the sweet caramel sugar taste. There is a citrusy taste in there somewhere, along with some sweeter fruit flavors, like you might get in dried fruit. Ends in an alcohol burn that isn't too harsh and fades slowly. This beer has a notably silky mouthfeel.

I'm really digging this beer. I noticed the subtleties over the course of the bomber and as it warmed up. This is a complex beer, but it isn't too complex. It's a beer that lets you know it's got some depth but doesn't flaunt it in your face, and I like that. I could go for another 22 ouncer, but the 11% ABV says I shouldn't. I had to remind myself of the ABV since it hides it so well with the noticeable but not over the top candy sugar. Excuse me while I go to my local liquor store to stock up.

Philousa, Sep 16, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Reviewed on 9/10/11

Poured in to a Duvel tulip. 2 finger, fluffy, off-white head. Clear, dark golden body.

Aroma had a good fruitiness to it. Some moderate swetness. Lots of oak and some subtle pomegranete showing. Mild spiceness.

Taste is where it got really unique some great complexity. Moderate sweetness with some strong vanilla flavors. Lots of fruit with pomegranete really coming through. Somewhat earthy. Good amount of oak. Light spiciness. A bit bready and caramely.

Mouthfeel had a medium/heavy body with a medium carb. Slightly sticky and chewy.

Overall i thought it was good and very unique. Sweetness and high abv limit the drinkability but otherwise it was very good. Can't wait to see what it tastes like with some aging.

riored4v, Sep 16, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

Bomber with black wax stamped with Best by date of 8/4/12.

Served cool into a chalice, the first thing that strikes me is the color. Very light in color, much closer to a tripel than a quad. A slightly hazy golden yellow color with a thin layer of short-lived head.

The label on The Stoic is more confusing that anything to me. The words prized, potent, depth, and complexity on the front. Some blurb about 4 fermentations, different types of barrels, stoicly brewed, and a medieval ancestor? Ridiculousness...

Aroma is a pleasant combination of oak aging vanilla character, Belgian yeast spice notes, and a hint of pomegranate.

Flavor is surprisingly sweet and light. Malts must have been kept on the lighter side with no roast or even caramel/toffee to speak of here. Obviously a lot of malt was used to get 11% but it doesn't have much depth in that department. It does, however, allow the different aging processes to show through better. The oak is prevalent with hints of the previous contents. Fruity, spicy, and perfumey.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus in body and nicely carbonated. Balance is towards the sweet side and the alcohol is very well disquised.

Overall an interesting beer but it seems misleading to call it a quad. True Belgian quads share little, if anything, in common with this Oregonian version. Throw it in the 'American Strong Ale' category and leave it at that.

To end on a positive, I think it's very easy drinking for such a strong beer. Bring this to Thanksgiving and serve next to wine. I bet the family would find it an interesting counterpoint.

GilGarp, Sep 15, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Pours a small head, light lacing; golden straw color

S: Sweet Belgian yeast with some nice spiced/floral notes. Smells very enticing

T: Sweet, slightly tart with a floral Belgian flavor; good helping of cinnamon, nutmeg, and Belgian yeast

M: Medium thickness, lightly carbonated; very smooth, and hides the alcohol exceptionally well

O: I don't know what everyone is getting so flustered about. So what if this isn't a "traditional" Belgian Quad, it still tastes fantastic! I would classify it more as a Belgian Strong Pale, but that's just my thought on the matter. Forget the bad hype -- pick one up, it's delicious!

Jules11788, Sep 14, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a clear golden orange with a thin, short lived tan head.

The nose is of mostly clove. There are some fruit notes as well.

The taste is sweet upfront, followed by cloves and fruits, perhaps pear and apple? Some heat from the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation.

Definitely not a quad, and still a fairly uninspiring beer otherwise as well. Nothing what I would expect from Deschutes' Reserve Series.

vkv822, Sep 14, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a light orange with a white head that fades to a ring and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is very interesting. Floral notes of wine, green apples, and vanilla. The barrels have taken over here but it smells very nice.

T: The taste mimics the nose with big sweet flavors of apples, grapes, vanilla, and malt. A little overly sweet and nothing to balance it out.

M: The feel is on the lighter side of medium bodied and nearly flat.

O: While this isn't very quad like it does smell a lot like the barrels it was in which is what most barrel aged beers turn out to be. That being said the flavor was a bit too sweet and the beer going flat halfway through the glass is a bit concerning.

GregSVT, Sep 13, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +12%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip on 9-12-2011

Reviewing this as a beer and not on it's faithfulness to the Belgian Quad style.

Pours an light amber hue with thin lacing on the top, dissipating quickly.

Smells of fruits, belgian yeast, some alcohol heat, figs. raisins. Apricots and bananas come through in the nose as well.

Mouthfeel is fairly creamy, with apricot and raisin flavors coming through foremost. If it didn't say pomegranate on the side, I wouldn't know it was in there. A lot of alcohol on the finish but it's not unpleasant (might be my tolerance for high alcohol beers), and a pretty dry finish, possibly from the barrel aging. Not noticing any rye whiskey flavor but pleasant heat going down. Lingering flavors of banana and clove and dryness on the tongue.

I like this beer a lot. There are a lot of great fruit flavors that I've found in other American Belgian Style beers, and the barrel aging adds a certain dryness that just makes me want to try another sip. There were a few bottles of this at the Whole foods near my work, I may have to snag a couple more after the good experience with this one.

philmcguinn, Sep 13, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -44.2%

22oz bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a medium creamy white head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sugary caramel malts, banana and cloves, some grassy hops and quite a bit of plasticky alcohol.

The flavor is very sweet sugary malts with some fruitiness, and a bit of slightly burnt bitter alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation, slightly watery.

Overall, it's a bit of a mess. Way too cloying and alcoholic. I'll take a St Bernardus anytime over this.

Beaver13, Sep 12, 2011

A - Very nice clear amber color with limited bubbles. Head also is limited. *some* lacing remains, but nothing worth noting. Very basic appearance, other than fine clarity of brew.

S - Very nice and smooth! Some great Belgian hints really come out. Nice banana, apple, and spices.

T - WHA! Strong heat! Needs many months to calm down and relax. there's some awesome sugars to still ferment and I think this will definitely help with the uncomfortable ABV.

M - HEAT! Perfect carbonation. Zero bitterness. I would love to rate this brew higher, but the heat is overwhelming!!!

O - I hope to re-review this brew in a year or so and give it a better rating. Kind of a disappointment, but super glad I FINALLY got to try it after many months of anticipation.

chugalug06, Sep 12, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

The Stoic, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Oregon, A Prized, Potent Belgian-styled Quad of Stirring Depth and Complexity. …well, there, I don't need to say anything more, right?) The Stoic, malt beverage brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% beoing aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% aged in oak rye whiskey barrels.

Clear, deep amber hue, slim head. Looks nice, despite the meager foam.

Aroma: the barrels speak first, oak and rye come right out of the nose, fruit and alcohol (11%) come next. Deep, while delicate. Pomegranate is here, accompanied by pear and apple.

Taste: Bright, ripe fruit, as before, apple, pear, pomegranate, met with cherries and berries. A switch of spice comes shining through, and the oak rises up, as well. It all coalesces, in an intriguing bl
end.

Was it red wine in the oak barrels? Not sure, but I can feel that flavor coming through. I am glad they judiciously aged a mere 1/3 of the brew, for too much would be overpowering, and I appreciate some subtlety more than ever these days.

Malt makes a good match for the high alcohol. No hops, low bitterness, but fine, funky fruit flavor, and beautiful oak additions. I'm loving this. Stirring Depth and Complexity, indeed. I've made fast friends with this Stoic.

feloniousmonk, Sep 11, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

** Reviewing this on on the merits of the brew, because it is no where near traditional Quad territory.**

Pour into my HotD goblet.. Aggressive pour .... foamy 1" off white head.. decent retention and only spotty lacing.. the brew is crystal clear lite orange...

The nose shows a quality mix of traditional esters and phenols... pear and white pepper... overripe apples and lite clove.. interesting.... subtle barrel notes, but again, very subtle.

Flavor is a melange of the above noted Belgian qualities.. Asian pears and apple with musky honey essence.. just a bit of clove... more estery than phenolic on the palate.. a bit of oak... definitely more of the wine barrel comes out than the whiskey barrel.. lite pink bubblegum with warmth...

Body is about right.. carbonation seems in range too... maybe a bit syrupy.

I am really surprised Deschutes decided to call this one a "Quad" .... no where close except maybe the yeast strain.... A pretty good BSPA ... still too much residual sweetness .... but a Quad? No chance.

I will probably buy some of these for the cellar and trading, but I honestly do believe it will get better with some aging... but it will never be a Quad.... damn... "Quad" .. big mistake in marketing.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5

JohnGalt1, Sep 11, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a hazy golden amber with a tight, frothy white head that leaves small chunks of lacing.

Smells of a bit of a white wine character with bright fruits and spices.

Tastes of sweet fruits up front with a spice layering. Notes of banana, grape, and apple come through ending in pomegranate. Comes through with a syrupy sweetness. A bit of toasted bread sits in the middle leading in to the spices. Notes of clove mostly to me. I do detect some rye as well, but it feels out of place and doesn't mix with the fruit well. Alcohol comes through fairly strong and leaves a decisive burning in the chest.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, I like this, but it probably has to do with my love of pomegranates. I wouldn't really recommend this, because I feel like Deschutes is just trying to do too much.

ocelot2500, Sep 11, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -10.2%

Chill hazed amber colored beer with a very tall near white colored head.

Smell is sour. Sour apples and cranberry with vanilla and oak. Little bit of coriander and perhaps a little Brett funk. Mostly though this smells sour.

Starts out sweet with a malt and vanilla taste. Fruit flavor mostly green apple with the oak vanilla flavor. Kind of a Rorschach test for your tongue lots of elusive flavors here but not any really strong ones. Alcohol is very detectable, strong burn in the chest. This gets sweeter as you drink it.

Mouthfeel is OK.

This seems to be a beer that is confused about what it wants to be. Doesn't taste bad but doesn't really taste like a Quad either. Reminds me of one of those weird beers DFH makes based on archeology. Worth a try I guess.

Zorro, Sep 11, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottle. Poured into a NB tulip glass a medium copper color with a white head that quickly settles to collar around the glass. Closing my eyes the aroma is decenlty strong belgian yeast aromatics; clove, banana, fruity, etc, I wouldn’t say that pomegranate sticks out here. Malty, some biscuit, a light tartness, spice, herbal, all come out in the flavor. Again, not overly a pom taste. Bubblegum and some green apple. Rye whickey barrel? Really? What was the point as it doesn’t come out to me really. I’m not hating this for what it is but for what went into it, it’s not the best, it’s decent but that about it. Medium mouthfeel.

kbutler1, Sep 10, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -1%

Poured from tap at Deschutes Portland:

Poured a dark amber - reddish brown hue. Very little head, almost no lace, good carbonation. Pretty average look for an American quad.

Smells nicely of spice, honey, and rye but oddly not too much of Belgian yeast... Also not picking up much from the barrel aging...

Flavors focus on a banana, apple, spice, rye core with some alcohol really pushing through. A hint of spice. I do get a faint flavor from the barrel maturation. Pretty good palate.

Texture is good, medium body, but a bit light for a quad, little grip, but the alcohol is oppressive, it really overwhelms. There is nowhere near enough body or texture to stand up to it.

A very good beer by most standards, but I expect more from Deschutes, especially for one of their reserve series. I have enjoyed several seasonal dubbel, trippel, and quadrupel offerings that were not in their reserve line which expressed a truer Belgian heart than this beer. I think it has potential, but I will not be purchasing this anytime soon. I'll spend my dollars on Jubel 2010, Abyss, and Black Butte XXIII.

cbarrett4, Sep 09, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

A rich copper color with a fingers worth of head. Lasts a bit and leaves some lacing.

Let's cut to the chase. It can be aged with this and or that.... But the reality is we have clove wrapped in clove that really brings out the cloviness of the clove. A one trick pony. Sweet clove suck garbage. Invent something else.

Let's move on.

TheDudeRules, Sep 09, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy gold with a half inch head. The lace is gone pretty quick.

Pale malts, band-aid, funk and fruit start the smell, oak finishes it off.

Pomegranate and heavy oak wine barrel start the taste. Very nice Belgian yeasts show up pretty quick along with a touch of earthy and mineral hops. A touch of rye spice finishes it off, can't taste the booze, but I sure feel it. The mouth is just under medium bodied, not too syrupy.

I told the dude that I didn't drink quads too often (just rarely in the mood) and he told me it wasn't a traditional quad (it isn't) so I grabbed one. I love Deschutes and am very glad to have been able to try their take on the style.

OBeerMeGreatOne, Sep 08, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +16%

Last bottle from the Natomas Bevmo, the first I had seen of it.

Poured from a waxed bomber. Delightful light copper with a white quickly dissolving head.

Smells pleasantly malt sweet with solid Belgian fruity esters, caramel as well. Quite inviting, and no boozieness despite the 11%.

Taste, in a word, beautiful. Lots of belgian spiceness and esters, with a nice residual sweetness that I imagine would go away with age. It isn't super complex, and is actually really easy drinking for a quad, but it is nice. The wife even enjoys this one.

I guess if I had to describe this, I would call this an easy drinking quad (at least at present)- but overall just a really good beer. While this isn't as complex as the other beers in their reserve series, I find myself still really enjoying this brew. I will definitely pick up a few bottles to age and see how it gets more complex.

Ghenna, Sep 07, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

On tap at the Portland brewpub.

The beer pours a fairly dark gold color with pretty good head retetion nand light lacing. On the nose, the clove aroma really dominates, though I also pick up considerable spice, light clover honey and a hint of bananna. The flavor profile repilcates the nose pretty closely in this fairly sweet quad style beer, though there's enough underlying bitterness so that the beer doesn't tire out the palate too quickly. Still, the sweetness, amount of spice and noticeable alcohol make this beer very much a sipper. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, fairly sweet, spice infused finish.

A nice enough beer, but probably not something I would seek out or want to have on too many occasions.

John_M, Sep 05, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stoic - one apparently or professedly indifferent to pleasure or pain, according to the dictionary. This, I don't think, exemplifies Deschutes. But, when it comes to innovating in the face of naysayers, then The Stoic seems apt. When I first tasted this at the brewery in April (beer mail me for details if you wish), I thought it should be named The Sophist, for the "wise one." Deschutes is not indifferent to brewing great beer, and for innovating, just indifferent to the fads, trends, of the craft brew industry, and perhaps the opinion of others. For this, I am a thankful, loyal, customer.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Deschutes snifter. Paid $12.99 at Capital Market in Salem; may have bought the last 3 bottles in town - glad I have two more. Love the artwork on the label; very nostalgic. Reminiscent of my Renaissance and Reformation era studies in college.

A-Pours a slightly hazy copper-orange hue, thankfully without yeast particles, with a two finger, egg shell white head with modest retention and some lacing.

S-Fruity, malty, sweet, and sour (in a pleasant way - from the yeast I suspect). Nice aroma is dominated by dark dried fruits like raisins, figs, dates, but also bananas, caramel malts, and spices. More fruit than sweetness.

T-Prominent flavors include orchard fruits like peaches and pears, with raisins and caramel undertones present. Also, there is more bitterness than the 20 IBUs would suggest from the hops. Perhaps it is from the time spent in Oak Rye Whiskey Barrels. Whatever the cause, the taste is great. Not everything a Belgian Quad enthusiast might want, but I consider this, and positively so, an Americanized, aka bastardized, Belgian-styled quad. The Belgian yeast is clearly present, but I suspect, given Deschutes' reputation, artful use of hops (something Belgians are not nearly as acquainted with) contributed to the "stirring depth & complexity" I experienced.

M-Very smooth for 11% ABV. Carbonation level is spot on. Alcohol is only noticeable form the barrel aging. Remarkable in a beer of this gravity.

O-Drinkability is awesome for a beer this big. I like what Deschutes has done with this. In fact, I liked it before the barrel aging. I do hope Deschutes will continue its innovative forays into the craft brew world after Larry Sidor's departure. Best wishes to Larry in his new endeavors. I believe there is room for more breweries to accompany craft brew icons like Deschutes, which Sidor helped make.

velosuds, Sep 05, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured into a tulip

a- poured a clean, bright, nice dark golden, almost orange. thick white head from free pour. left a thin thin head, with a good amount of lacing

s- i can smell light hops, citrus, pomegranate. wisp of the rye, and oak. with a slight tartness from the wine barrel.

t- light fruit note, rye and oak. some funk form the wine, tartness. nice long finish

m- surprisingly thin for the abv, nice a bubbly. great carbonation

o- this beer is very different in its self. i can see the argument on it not being a true belgian quad. but maybe thats why i like it so much? great complexity, very balance. blends a lot of different qualities of beer into one. very unique, i enjoy this beer a lot.

shwillivanilli, Sep 05, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Oh, Deschutes, I am growing more and more fond of you! I poured the bottle into a Deschutes tulip whom cradled its contents like a protective mother.

Appearance: A lovely ginger-orange spice-autumn leaves kind of vibe. Head is a soft yellow, not very high or thick, porous and settles quickly.

Aroma: Nicely pungent, each whiff offering another entity. Very easy to detect the oak, and a surprising smokey quality. Has a barley and hop scent, does not contain that Belgian malt that sends my heart into palpitations.

Texture: Medium body, leaves a nice coating behind. As it warmed, the texture became more and more lovely, almost buttery, making me come back for more. Quite carbonated, a slight whiskey burn in the back of your throat. A lighter beer with some balls actually. Aftertaste film is glamorous and satisfying.

Flavor: Definitely a quad, but not necessarily Belgian. It's like they traced a Belgian with tracing paper, but couldn't duplicate it free-hand. Still delicious, just not reflective of the true Belgian craft--respectable attempt though. Like a quad it evolves and volleys its play on flavors, each taking turns showing off for me. Reminds me of a barely wine in some ways, very fruity, grassy, with a hint of wine, but oak is the predominant flavor. The pomegranate was quiet, but as expected, the warmth gently coaxed her out of hiding. Overall, I enjoyed this immensely and would want this one again.

Moon2Goddess, Sep 04, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

on-tap, Naked City

appearance: served in an unbranded goblet - maybe a 10oz pour. lifeless clear copper syrup

smell: strong alcohol presence - white grape, spice, clove, yeast

taste: Certainly not true to style - overly sweet with copious amounts of banana, pear, and grape. Clove and allspice clash with fierce burning alcohol. Unsuccessful.

mouthfeel: sweet, syrupy

overall: Not great - glad I didnt drop $14 on a bomber to confirm this

dirtylou, Sep 03, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

22oz into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear fiery copper, little head even with an encouraging pour, minor lacing. Georgous

Expressive aroma, tremendous depth, rich in spices - clove and cardamom. No dark fruits, all light skinned.

Flavor is difficult to label at first. Sweets begin by enveloping the tongue. Phenols kick in as a substitute for bitter. The aftertaste begins dry and leaves a long lingering undefined echo that immediately outstays its welcome. The alcohol while not too far forward is overt. If there is any barrel to be found it might be in a pinot noir twang. Medium bodied mouthfeel, initial sips brought forth sensations of tin foil.

Deschutes, you had me at pomegranate molasses, how intriguing
I didn't find it

I have complete respect for the brewers but why market this as a quad?
incomprehensible
cheers
jd

impending, Sep 03, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Lots of debate whether this is actually a "Quad" or not. Personally, I consider a Quadrupel a legitimate Belgian style and when I think of that style I think of a darker, maltier, thicker beer. With that said, I am not an EXPERT on the history of Belgian styles and can't be for certain whether this beer violates the style it's so definitely categorized as. Therefore, I'm going to rate this beer on its own merits, and not as any particular style.

A: Almost crystal clear, medium-light amber in color with a minimal showing of off white head that quickly retreats and leaves a thin, sporadic film on the surface. 4.0

S: Smell is of ripe orchard apples, with a Belgian yeast profile you'd normally find in Golden Strong ales like Duvel or Orval. Some vinous notes, perhaps from the wine barrel aging. 3.5

T&M: Taste consists of light apple fruitiness with a bit of tartness (very mild tartness but there), some white wine mixed with wood backed up by a hefty malt body and some residual alcohol. The ABV is hardly noticeable other than a vague warming in the throat after a few sips. This drinks very smooth from the first sip to the last. Carbonation is perfect. Goes down easy. 4.0 / 4.5

O: Not sure what else to say. I think I could probably tell this wasn't brewed in Belgium, but it's definitely got a lot of Belgian characteristics. It is NOT what I expected it to be, but for what it is; a belgian style BEER, it's great. I just have trouble putting this in the category the brewer did. 4.0

julian, Sep 01, 2011