The Stoic - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.
Ratings: 614 | Reviews: 233
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Pours a clear new copper penny color. Big fat finger of fizzy white head.. has settled to a large lace making ring, and thin light fluffy pillow above the fluids. Seems rather bubbly like a sparkling wine.

Smell: (4.0)
- The smell is fantastic. Large copious amounts of clove, and Belgian-like banana yeast. Very bready, lightly sweet, and spicy. Light citrus notes, grassy hops, roasted honey, and crispy currants. Not bad. A little sweet smelling, and perhaps green.

Taste: (4.0)
- Seems like a quad to me. Fruity sweet candies, Belgian sugars perhaps, bright currants and pomegranate do shine with an acidic quality. They do however sit in front of what many may know as a golden Belgian quad. It is there, but it is subtle behind the tweaks, and complex creation. I rather like it, and think it could turn out even better after about 6 months. Just a touch too acidic currently, but really does have the good qualities of a fine quad. I get maybe just a touch of oak and rye bittering, but not enough. Guessing a larger % of barrel blended would have been better.

Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- It's a tad thin, as a quad should be. A little more towards the light bodied side, while a tad syrupy. It is finely carbonated, and I am sure would remain so, if not more so over a little time. Little sticky sweet, and wateringly acidic.

Overall: (3.5)
- It's a great brew. But it does in fact fall short for me, compared to their other 'Reserve' series beers. It is also off the beaten path for them as a brewer as well. I am more impressed with rare brews like their sour saison compared to this. It's not one to cellar for over a year, and it is also not a beer to rave about, and include into the hype machine. But overall I sense the solid quad backing, and like the steps taken to create such a complex, and unique brew. I would love to try it again in another 8 months or so.

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%

Served at cellar temperature

A: Rich amber with reddish hues phenomenally clear with little head.

S: Immediately greeted with wonderful scent of pomegranate my inclination is that the sour scent comes from not just fruit but the oak wine barrels it aged in (my guess is a Cabernet) unfortunately no rye detected.

T: Super Belgian right off the bat, the pomegranate is not as strong in the taste as it is in the nose however it adds to the dry Cab Sauv taste. For a quad it is incredibly light and sweet but the dry alcohol content is so noticeable it almost takes away from the brew, thankfully however it is balanced with the fruit qualities to make it unique. Where is the rye cask??? Seriously...

M: Not thick, chewy and sticky like a regular quad but still quite dry and a perfect effervescence.

O: This is a beer that exemplifies the need to age certain special releases this is a big beer that will be fully realized in a year and a half to two years, hopefully then the rye will begin to shine and the fruit will mingle with that to make a stellar beer. I hope more people take into account that this and other beers needs some growth before they are truly realized.

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

A-Pours clear chestnut amber, much lighter than any quad I've ever seen with a half inch of fizzy, light khaki head that's gone almost as fast as it arrives. No lacing, but lots of tiny bubbles making their way up from the bottom of the glass. Plenty of carbonation from the looks of it.

S-White grape juice sweetness, a little allspice, some slick, clovey Belgian yeast.

T/M-The first thing that strikes me about STOIC is how sweet it is. Flavors of honey and pear juice. Then you're hit with a fistful of intense spiciness mid-palate that throws any semblance of order or concept out the window. The finish is dry and boozy, leaving a chalky film on the palate. Full bodied and syrupy with fizzy carbonation.

O-In many ways, this reminds me of the North Coast Grand Cru. Too light for the style, syrupy, boozy, unfocused, not enough barrel character for a beer claiming barrel aging as an attribute. This one has the added detriment of being unpleasantly over spiced. Not a fan of this one.

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a golden orange color with good carbonation and a nice white cap

S: Pomegrenate, rye, light whiskey and oak

T: Begins with a syrupy flavor, some pomegranate, white grapes, hint at booze, rye and vanilla on the finish

M: Sordove thin for a beer of thius magnitude and complexity

O: Not to bad but sometimes to much fancy pants blending is overdone. Keeping ti simple is always a good thing too.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a brillant rose-tinged orange amber into a tulip with a finger of tight white head and lots of bubbles. Aroma of yeasty banana, honey, and light clove.

Slightly high carbonation and a light, crisp mouthfeel. Hints of cherry up front followed by honey/caramel sweetness, banana, and some more mild spice followed by a rush of boozy warmth. Lingering notes of oak and pomegranate.

Full-flavored and not overly sweet. Doesn't conceal the higher ABV, but remains pretty darn easy-drinking nonetheless.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a nice clear amber color, bubbly head that disspiates quickly not much lacing
S: Smells fruity (Bananas,apple, pear, dark fruits), clove and of Belgian yeast.
T: Much the same as the smell, taste is nice and fruity, also some wine and earthy flavors in there as well
M: Medium bodied, good finish. Alcohol is very well hidden
O: This is not a typical quad but i love it...very complex and tasty. I'd get this one again for sure.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

A: pours out a clear amber color, with a white head that faded quickly to leave just a light coating over the beer. definitely lighter than i was expecting.

S: caramel. dark fruits. oak, and some wine and a touch of whisky in the aroma. i get belgian candy sugar, yeast, and some pomegranate as well. nice aroma for sure.

T: a lot of the aroma here. oak, some whiskey, pomegranate, dark fruits, candi sugar, yeast. lots of caramel and sweet notes. i get some vinous and whiskey notes in the front, and that leads to the fruit, sugar, and yeast flavors. there is a touch of oak in there, and it finishes a bit dry. there is also a touch of spice in there, possibly from the rye whiskey.

M: medium-thin with a smooth mouthfeel. low carb.

O: this is a great beer. different than most quads, but still very good.

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%

A – Doesn’t fit the description of a quad or most Belgian ales. It is a copper hue that is crystal clear. 1 ½ finger head that doesn’t disappear.

S – Malty and dark fruit. A bit of that Belgian yeast smell, so it definantly was brewed with an appropriate strain.

T – Mildly sweet, malty, and a grassy note. Does not have the barrel aged flavor up front, but in the after-taste it tastes of cherries and vanilla probably from the barrels. None of that sweet, alcoholic dark fruit taste of other Belgian quads. Now that I think of it, it hides the 11% abv amazingly well.

M – Tingly, sharp bubbles that isn’t overly carbonated.

O – Although I am no expert in Belgian beers this doesn’t seem to be a quadruple from appearance, I am confused here. Doesn’t have that typical Belgian cloudiness either. I don’t know where to put this beer, it is in a class of its own. I think it has suffered low ratings because it had the misfortune of being labeled a "quad".

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

2011 22 oz bottle slightly chilled in the fridge from the cellar and poured into a Lost Abbey tulip. Enjoyed the first half with some Borderlands and am now focusing more intently on the characteristics of the second half while listening to Flogging Molly's Drunken Lullabies - makes me think of Vegas. Am also considering in this review my first pour of the beer at the Portland brew pub on the day of the bottle release.

A- Pours much lighter than I expected. Does not look like the quad I thought it'd be, but excusing anticipations, it shines a very pleasant caramel. Head is minimal and fades quickly.

S- I guess I smell bananas and clove. I want there to be pomegranate but I think that's because I read about its existence. It's here that I decide to abandon my expectation of a typical quad, while admitting the fact that I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the style; I have tried some of the best examples as far as BA ratings go. There's also some spice/pepper.

T- Forgetting my anticipation of a typical quad, this is very nice. It has some of the Deschutes characteristic I can always identify and enjoy. If this was labeled something else, I think I could enjoy it fully without faulty expectation. It's a very pleasant beer to drink, especially considering the current Summer heat. I do get the sweetness I can attribute to pomegranate in the taste. I'd have no problem drinking this in multiple conditions, but it's hard to imagine the exact circumstances that I'd prefer this over something else, as good as it is.

M- This is pretty light. Again citing my expectations, I was hoping for something fuller and deeper, along the lines of a Rochefort or a Westy. There wasn't much depth to this beer, although there was complexity. I wanted, and expected, more from a Deschutes Reserve series.

O- This is a good beer. I want to drink more and have purchased several bottles without disappointment. But, I don't get the same sense of pleasure I've had from other Reserve Series beers. I think the brewer could do better. If I don't consider the style as "quad" I find this to be a very enjoyable beer. Rating this as a quad, I find it lacking, but still worth seeking out and drinking.

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

I have been on this beer for months waiting for it to come out! I had no reason to drink tonight other then to try a beer from one of my 3 favorite breweries. It pours a clear amber color??? I like my quads dark, never had one i could read through. The smells: Belgian yeast is huge, i get the Pomegrante, maybe some red wine. The smell is off the charts! When i bring this beer to my lips i get a revalation of great tastes: Both the oak wine and the rye whiskey both shine through nice, the fruits are there too. This isn't your papas quad but it is a damn good beer!

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

A: Pours much lighter than I expected. Yellowish on initial pour but builds up into a very light orange/brown with a small white head that leaves slight lacing.

S: Yeast, cherries, a hint of spice.

T: Again, yeast, cherries, hint of spice, with some salted caramel stirred in. I think the downfall of this beer is its label which says "stirring depth & complexity." To me, this is remarkably simple, though toned nicely and very easy and enjoyable to drink. I was expecting something bizarre and new, and instead I found something that I would consider basic and just quite good.

M: Medium body, medium carb, with some nice slick linger on the tongue and carbonated dissipation throughout the mouth.

O: This isn't at all bad, and certainly not nearly as bad as some reviews have suggested. VERY drinkable for the abv, and the taste is moderate and enjoyable. The downfall, as I mentioned before, is the lack of depth and complexity. Though, my opinion is not very authoritative on the style, not my kind of beer, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter

A Pours out a clear golden brown color with a white head that has some decent retention.

S The nose is quite spicy with the yeasts and a bit of clove taking center stage. There is also a note of some light banana notes. The nose seems quite light for a quad.

T Very spicy with notes of clove, some banana, and a hint of white wine. Not boozy at all which is a surprise considering the ABV. Not much going on here. Reminds me of a hefe for some reason.

M A little light bodied for the style. Also lots of carbonation.

Overall I am incredibly disappointed with this beer. I had very high hopes considering its my favorite style and my favorite brewery. That being said its not a bad beer and if I saw it on tap I might consider ordering it.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

8oz pour @ 16 Tons (they need wine glasses or something for these kind of beers, 1/2 pint just aint proper)

A - Briliantly clear dark gold, thin offwhite head that fades to a nice cap, good lacing.

S - Honestly, it smells like a Saison made with the Dupont strain. Tart, juicy fruits, tangerine, white wine, subtle oak, coriander, pepper, roses, pears

T - Pomegranate, light caramel sweetness, rose water, rye spiciness, spicy, very floral

M - Light bodied, subtle alcohol, spicy semi dry finish, yet sweet on the palate.

O - Enjoyed this thoroughly! Too drinkable, yet very complex, great Belgian esters and phenols, depth of character, tons of layers. Can't tell it's 11% ABV at all.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

22 oz Bottle, fresh from the distributor. Pours effervescent clear golden-amber body, minimal head, with minimal lacing. Loud carbonation crackles in the glass. Smell is spice, sweet wheat, heavy clove and banana, some juicy fruit. Initial flavors are pomegranite-like acid juice, clove, banana, caramel, alcohol bite. Fairly well balanced. Some oak and vanilla come through, spice is medium. Mouthfeel is medium, the high and fine carbonation scrub away most of the body- I think this beer could of done with less co2. Overall I say this is pretty good, but not something I will put large amounts of in the cellar. It will be interesting to see where this is at in a few years.

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%

Pour: Deep dark amber with vigorous crackling bubbles and a one finger, frothy white head. I've never heard carbonation in a beer crackle as loud as this or at all for any matter.

Nose: Pepper, clove, banana, bubble gum (am I drinking a triple?), pomegranate, slight oak, slight ethanol and slight whiskey.

Taste: Pepper, clove, bubble gum, banana, vinous oak, sweet pomegranate and cherry.

Mouthfeel: Well carbed, lively and smooth.

Overall: This is pretty one dimensional to be honest. The drying quality is nice and the mouthfeel is too. The sweet fruits go well with the triple like base beer. Good but not what you'd expect from Deschutes Reserve series.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz bottle (bottled 8/4/11 - best by 8/4/12) poured into a chalice. After all this is a quad, right?

Crystal clear amber color with a 1-finger white head, which dissipates pretty quickly but never disappears entirely. Vigorous carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass, keeping a thin film of foam on the surface. I just love well-carbed beers.

Aroma is a bit tart, sour - fruity but not sweet.

Taste is actually sweeter and less tart than the nose. Not exactly "quad"-like by any means, but there are more sugars here which I associate with the quad style. Instead of dark fruits, maybe light fruit notes? Maybe this is the pomegranate shining through.

There's not as much complexity as I'd expect. I do taste the wine barrel - some dry oak comes through as the glass warms a little. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and bone dry.

Overall as other reviews/comments have suggested, if you're looking for Rochefort 10 this ain't it. But it is an interesting beer to be sure. The taste is a little more one-dimensional than I'd hoped, but this is still a tasty beer that I enjoyed sipping. I think I enjoyed looking at it at least as much though.

4.17/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A: I thought Quads were dark? This pours a golden amber color. Very light haziness. Has a two finger slightly off white head, that is composed of bigger bubbles. The head dissipates pretty quickly. Leaves a decent lacing.

S: Big belgian yeast. Huge spiciness. Coriander. Not much else. For a Quad I was expecting much more complexity. Smells top notch if it was a Saison.

T: Very sweet and spicy. Much more complex than the nose implies. Some cherries, not dark but definitely cherries, not sure what pomegranate tastes like but I'm sure that's what else I'm getting. Belgian yeast. Definitely taste the wine and whiskey aging but not alcohol wise. The 11% is well hidden. Light rye characters. Complex.

M: Light to medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Crisp and refreshing. Aftertaste lingers forever.

O: Deschutes never fails to impress me. This isn't you typical Quad if it is even a Quad. But the label says "Belgian-Styled Quad" so given that, I think it is a great beer. A deviance from the style that definitely works.

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%

On tap at the Portland pub.

A - Served a dark orange with a fine bubbled off-white head. Good retention and spots of lacing left on the glass.

S - Belgian yeast and spices.

T - Spices, yeast, and fruit - banannas.

D - High carbonation and lighter bodied.

O - Mmph. Ok, a bit let down.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

I'm just going to say that while this beer is not a quad by any sort of measure, it is an extremely tasty brew with light barrel aging.

If you can get past the labeling, you're in for a tasty, light, yet high abv beer that is well suited for hotter days on your porch.

2.76/5  rDev -27.9%

On tap at the Bend pub.

Appearance: filtered and very clear. amber with cherry red highlights. minimal foam and no lacing.

Smell: alcohol, band-aids, and cherry cough syrup. some belgian yeast ester. banana and pear. sweet and syrupy with some cherry/sweet fruit aroma. the alcohol is masked well.

Taste: very disappointing. this is not a quad. this is a poor attempt at anything close to Rochefort 10, Westy 12, St B 12 or Koningshoeven. It is too sweet, not dark enough (in malt and dark fruit flavor), and the yeast character is poor. I get some subtle -bal character but it is in the background adding complexity to the fruity cherry notes (I'm guessing this is from the Pomegranate). It is full flavored, but tastes like a bad Belgian homebrew.

Mouthfeel: this was on draft... so I wasn't expecting high carb. med carb, sweet and full. lingering alcohol. not dry and drinkable like most quads. too sweet.

Overall: I am surprised that they say this took 5 years to create on the label. The color was the first indication that it would not be like the Trappist quads I have come to love. The Pomegranate is too much on top of the already sweet beer. The yeast doesn't give me the spicy or fruity character I want. I am very disappointed with this beer, but maybe my expectations are wrong.

Drank at the Portland Deschutes Pub for lunch.

A: Center of the clear gold spectrum with a finger of snow white foam on top. This looks very pale and nothing like any Quad I've ever seen. Minimal legs and minimal lacing. 2/5

S: Light banana, booze, and some non-specific fruitiness. The depth is lacking and my interest is waning. 2/5

T: Obscure fruits including banana, mildly sweet, a touch of wood. The lack of alcohol presence in a beer of this size is rarely missed but I'm wishing it was here this time if only to give a little complexity. This is startlingly bland for a beer trying to fit in a style known for complexity. Where are the big fruits and flavorful sugars? This just seems like a simple/non-offensive grain bill with some Belgian yeast tossed in. The description has a bunch of good buzz words and sounds thoughtfully planned, but what I'm tasting seems uninspired. 2/5

M: This falls into the gray area at the upper side of thin and the lower side of moderate. Any thinner, and I'm calling this a Belgian Trippel (it might be more appropriate to fit it in there anyway). High carbonation makes this finish cleanly and dry. 2/5

O: Sometimes, I'm a little more lenient on rating a beer if I enjoy it regardless of the style placed on it by the beer drinking public. Deschutes pigeon-holed themselves though by calling this a Quad in the first place. Admittedly I'm not very experienced in the Quad style. I can think of at least one other beer lover who is more versed and would "know best". I have however tried some of the higher rated Quads available in America. They all typically share similar characteristics; deep layers of complexity, big fruits, heavy sugars, and an unabashed booziness. This literally shares none of those attributes. From top to bottom, I can't think of a better definition for "not impressed". It's not offensive, but it's definitely not up to my expectations for the style. Easily the most forgettable and weakest of the Deschutes Reserve Series so far. 2/5

2.44/5  rDev -36.3%

Interesting nose of baby aspirin and soft raspberry comforts with caution. Clear yellow filtration victim of a beer screams anything but quad. Is this a triple? Misnomer city. First sip reveals corn syrup and chardonnay. The finish on this beer is dry and boozy, evoking a flavor profile more suited to a gin than a beer. The finish is rife with cotton candy and biscuity notes. The Stoic escapes the fearful possibility of oversweetness, yet falls victim to many other pitfalls of American-made Belgian-style ales. The burps are nice though, filtering out much of the nonsense and leaving me with a pils-y flavor soaked in belgian air. Perhaps that's how this beer was meant to be enjoyed.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap last night at the Deschutes Portland Brewpub, was surprised to see it both in bottles and on tap last night yet no one had reviewed it. Either way, poured from the tap into a snifter.

Appearance: Amber-gold hued, with tiny bubbles of very low carbonation. Lacing was very minimal, head dissipated pretty quickly upon the pour. Much lighter in tone than I expected. Nothing special in this sense.

Smell: Initial aroma when cooler was of a sweet nectar, with hints of raisin, fig, molasses and the slightest bit of anise. Pomegranate was apparent from the get-go, but it took me a minute to put my finger on what exactly the sweetness was really coming from. Sweet from the start, with the yeast lending a very light bubble-gum ester as well. As it warmed, the oaky character came through more and more, along with the dark fruity esters paired just a hint of chocolaty bourbon, but much less so than the Chardonnay overtones from the oaky pomegranate.

Taste: Really a developer of a beer as it warms. Much like in the nose, the beer is definitely still sweet; I'd imagine it getting significantly more rounded out over the coming months/years and becoming a significantly different beer. The residual sweetness is relatively high, with pomegranate and molasses overtones pronounced throughout. The oak, which was muted at first, really became more prominent as the beer warmed, and much to the benefit of the flavor profile. The flavors seemed to be coming from several different directions, but they really benefited from warming to room temperature. Alcohol burn is mild, but the booze in the finish work as well as anything else in the beer, as it pairs very smoothly with the sweet, vanilla-esque finish.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat sticky from the sweetness and lack of heavy carbonation. I think the low-carbonation works for the beer, but I would not have minded a hint more. With a beer this thick, sweet, and chewy, a little more CO2 here and there would not have been terrible. However, the warm, resiny feel does grow on you as it goes.

Drinkability/Overall: I haven't had a beer this interesting in a while. Lots of flavor components, great character and evolution as the beer warmed, and tasty right to the finish. I almost had another one afterward, but instead decided to pick up a few bottles for down the line. Who knows? Maybe like the actual drinking of the beer, perhaps it will get better the longer it lingers.

The Stoic from Deschutes Brewery