1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Chasin' Freshies - Deschutes Brewery

Chasin' FreshiesChasin' Freshies

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Availability: Fall

Like fresh powder, it’s a seize-the-moment thing. This year we've chased down Virgil Gamache Farms' famed Amarillo hops. At harvest, we rush the hops from the vine to our kettles to ensure we capture the purest, juiciest essence of the hop flower in every beer. Enjoy the bright, bold aroma and flavor that comes but once a year.

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 09-20-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chasin' Freshies Alström Bros

Plasmamonkey, Dec 23, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

Phil_H, Nov 09, 2013

bifrost17, Oct 11, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -43.7%

22 oz bottle, best by 12/27/12. Pours clear light straw yellow with a medium frothy white head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is grainy, slightly vegetal, malts and grassy metallic hops.

The flavor is sweet vegetal biscuity malts with a good sized grassy (slightly minty) bitterness in the finish. There's a bit of a charred hop aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not my cup of tea. Vegetal, biscuity malts with grassy hops.

Beaver13, Oct 25, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -39%

Imbibed at Post No Bills on 10/20/12.

Extra pale and clear with little head because the pour was so close to the top of the tumbler. Looks like a pils. Smells very sweet, nectar-like with some lemon tang. Some thick grassy aroma from the hops, an aroma very well known to fresh hop lovers. Taste is very crisp and clean, slightly nutty, then the bitterness takes over. It's floral and sweet, then vinous and bark-like. Reminds me of grass a bit. Body is light and finish is dry.

This is a big "meh" for me. It's so light that there isn't much to talk about. Put some flavor into this beer!

Philousa, Oct 22, 2012
2.41/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Reviewed live. Best-by date 12/27/12. That's disappointing. I missed the fresh date. The review will be short, and I'll try and catch it again next year.

A- One finger white head. Fairly short retention. Light gold body.

S- Soapy cascade hops. Light malt character.

T- Soapy, grassy, just a smidge past fresh. Too bad.

M- Light, nice carbonation.

O- Worst beer I've had from Deschutes, but it is the store's fault. I bought this Jan. 26, almost a month past fresh date. That will teach me to check the best-by date.

Murrhey, Jan 31, 2013

habaceeba, Oct 20, 2013

squirrel49, Apr 27, 2014

LegalBrew87, Jul 12, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

Massive flowing white foamy head. Brew looks like pee (bud light).. Far from a dark IPA..

Fresh and crisp scent. Light pine and crisp citrus. Far from pee (bud light).. Overall aroma is very light.

Holy bitterness! No sweetness. It's like drinking a cup of Pine sap without the heavy viscosity. Hops are almost all I can taste. It's a lingering biting bitterness. Light lemon zest is also prevalent. Carbonation is perfect, but digestible bitterness is almost off the charts and almost unbearable.

A decent brew, but you can tell this one was a bit of a stretch.. Not sure I'll be able to recommend this one. Hopefully, this years snow season is better than this brew :)

chugalug06, Oct 23, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

A - Very light straw yellow. Thick ,two finger, white head leaves a nice thick lacing on the glass. Maybe the lightest IPA I've encountered as far as color goes.

S - Very floral. Reminds me of a girly soap a little. Not sure if I'm really picking up much hops in there. Lots of spicy malts. Very reminiscent of a pilsner.

T - Not sure about the flavor so far. I think Deschutes could have added more hop bitterness and flavor. Taste is very similar to the smell. Reminds me of a floral pilsner. Pretty blah if you asked me. Doesn't taste like any IPA I've ever had, which is a good thing.

M - Very light with a tiny bit of carbonation.

O - Kinda disappointed in this. Maybe the lowest rated score I've given Deschutes. Normally a top notch brewery. I'm pretty easy to impress with this style of beer and this is way off of the mark.

ThePaleRider, Oct 29, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance. Pours a very clear, light yellow gold with a finger+ of white frothy head that leaves some decent lace.

Smell. Some spicy, citrus hops and light grainy malts.

Taste. Sweet grainy light malts, a decent amount of spicy, grassy hops. Just a hint of citrus. Some bitterness in the finish. Not mamazing, I'm afraid.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall. Not what I look for in a fresh hop ale. I wasn't blown away, to say the least :-/

Rutager, Nov 07, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -22.8%

Clear light gold with a 3 finger bright white head with good retention and lacing. Smells like floral and citrus hops, and pilsner malt. I'm not sure I like the use of pilsner malt in this beer.

Tastes like pilsner malt, with floral and citrus hops. Sweet with some bitterness in the finish. Not a bad flavor, but the pilsner malt taste is strong, and makes this taste too much like a Pilsber, and not enough like an IPA.

Light bodied with average carbonation, and there is a pilsner malt aftertaste. That is something I do not for in an IPA. I like Pilsners well enough, but I do not want an IPA to taste like one. Not a beer I will purchase again.

hardy008, Oct 18, 2012