Chasin' Freshies 2013 - Amarillo - Deschutes Brewery

Chasin' Freshies 2013 - AmarilloChasin' Freshies 2013 - Amarillo

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: Kegatron on 09-20-2011

Like fresh powder, it’s a seize-the-moment thing. This year we've chased down Virgil Gamache Farms' famed Amarillo hops. At harvest, we rush the hops from the vine to our kettles to ensure we capture the purest, juiciest essence of the hop flower in every beer. Enjoy the bright, bold aroma and flavor that comes but once a year.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chasin' Freshies 2013 - Amarillo Alström Bros
2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

22 oz bottle, best by 12/27/12. Pours clear light straw yellow with a medium frothy white head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is grainy, slightly vegetal, malts and grassy metallic hops.

The flavor is sweet vegetal biscuity malts with a good sized grassy (slightly minty) bitterness in the finish. There's a bit of a charred hop aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not my cup of tea. Vegetal, biscuity malts with grassy hops. (505 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -38%

Imbibed at Post No Bills on 10/20/12.

Extra pale and clear with little head because the pour was so close to the top of the tumbler. Looks like a pils. Smells very sweet, nectar-like with some lemon tang. Some thick grassy aroma from the hops, an aroma very well known to fresh hop lovers. Taste is very crisp and clean, slightly nutty, then the bitterness takes over. It's floral and sweet, then vinous and bark-like. Reminds me of grass a bit. Body is light and finish is dry.

This is a big "meh" for me. It's so light that there isn't much to talk about. Put some flavor into this beer! (594 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Reviewed live. Best-by date 12/27/12. That's disappointing. I missed the fresh date. The review will be short, and I'll try and catch it again next year.

A- One finger white head. Fairly short retention. Light gold body.

S- Soapy cascade hops. Light malt character.

T- Soapy, grassy, just a smidge past fresh. Too bad.

M- Light, nice carbonation.

O- Worst beer I've had from Deschutes, but it is the store's fault. I bought this Jan. 26, almost a month past fresh date. That will teach me to check the best-by date. (593 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%

Massive flowing white foamy head. Brew looks like pee (bud light).. Far from a dark IPA..

Fresh and crisp scent. Light pine and crisp citrus. Far from pee (bud light).. Overall aroma is very light.

Holy bitterness! No sweetness. It's like drinking a cup of Pine sap without the heavy viscosity. Hops are almost all I can taste. It's a lingering biting bitterness. Light lemon zest is also prevalent. Carbonation is perfect, but digestible bitterness is almost off the charts and almost unbearable.

A decent brew, but you can tell this one was a bit of a stretch.. Not sure I'll be able to recommend this one. Hopefully, this years snow season is better than this brew :) (674 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -23.2%

A - Very light straw yellow. Thick ,two finger, white head leaves a nice thick lacing on the glass. Maybe the lightest IPA I've encountered as far as color goes.

S - Very floral. Reminds me of a girly soap a little. Not sure if I'm really picking up much hops in there. Lots of spicy malts. Very reminiscent of a pilsner.

T - Not sure about the flavor so far. I think Deschutes could have added more hop bitterness and flavor. Taste is very similar to the smell. Reminds me of a floral pilsner. Pretty blah if you asked me. Doesn't taste like any IPA I've ever had, which is a good thing.

M - Very light with a tiny bit of carbonation.

O - Kinda disappointed in this. Maybe the lowest rated score I've given Deschutes. Normally a top notch brewery. I'm pretty easy to impress with this style of beer and this is way off of the mark. (838 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance. Pours a very clear, light yellow gold with a finger+ of white frothy head that leaves some decent lace.

Smell. Some spicy, citrus hops and light grainy malts.

Taste. Sweet grainy light malts, a decent amount of spicy, grassy hops. Just a hint of citrus. Some bitterness in the finish. Not mamazing, I'm afraid.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall. Not what I look for in a fresh hop ale. I wasn't blown away, to say the least :-/ (464 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -21.9%

Clear light gold with a 3 finger bright white head with good retention and lacing. Smells like floral and citrus hops, and pilsner malt. I'm not sure I like the use of pilsner malt in this beer.

Tastes like pilsner malt, with floral and citrus hops. Sweet with some bitterness in the finish. Not a bad flavor, but the pilsner malt taste is strong, and makes this taste too much like a Pilsber, and not enough like an IPA.

Light bodied with average carbonation, and there is a pilsner malt aftertaste. That is something I do not for in an IPA. I like Pilsners well enough, but I do not want an IPA to taste like one. Not a beer I will purchase again. (652 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bomber
A: pours a clear golden yellow, decent lacing on this beer for using pilsner malt. Head was foamy and carbonation stay solid while I finished the glass.

S: Smells a bit like corn, slight sweet pine from the hop. But neither of these aromas are very strong.

T: It taste like a slightly hoppier pilsner, but not quite as dry. Some of the sweet oats flavors are in there. Not really that bold of a taste. sorta boring.

Mouthfeel: This is a very light IPA, the mouthfeel is somewhat watery. It is extremely smooth however. Especially for being 7.4%

O: I thought this was just ok, I dont know if I would seek it out again. I certainly love thier seasonal releases and my expectations were high from having Hop Henge, and Hop Trip. A good beer to try once. (769 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours out a mostly orangeish and gold color, nice white laundry soapish white head. Aroma was pretty muted, came off extremely as an English ipa. Lacked dry hop character.
What exactly is fresh hop about this?

Taste, man, this really does not seem like a fresh hop ipa. More like an esb or english ipa at best, and even that is kind of pushing it. Bready, floral malt aspect, hops are bitter, grapefruit at times, but very mellow. Truly one of the "balanced" ipas, or if anything, leaning away from balance to the light malt character sweetness. There are no off flavors, but it seems completely mislabeled style wise. Alcohol remains hidden, kind of surprised that its about 7 and a half.

I guess if you're looking for the lightest, mildest fresh hop ale made, this is your beer. I'm kinda meh on it. (806 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -18.5%

2013 Release Featuring Amarillo Hops

A: Golden with bright white foam and small bubbles. Slight lacing.

S: Biscuity and piney. Faint apple juice.

T: Dry, bitter, and resinous. Somewhat bland.

M: Fruity and carbonated. Tart and slightly bland.

O: I was a little disappointed with this 'fresh' hopped brew. It wasn't as fresh tasting and enjoyable as some of the other's on the market in my opinion, with an overall slight bland feeling. One of my favorite 'freshies' out there is the Stone Enjoy By IPA series. (515 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Best By:
12/27/12 1328

A= Pours a light yellow color with a thin white head that rises to a skin and keeps a little retention with little lacing on the side of the glass.

S= Smells like typical cascade hops to me. A little light on the aroma for an IPA. Citrus and a little pine with a slightly malty sweetness to it.

T= The taste is very similar to the aroma. There is astrong citrus punch and a little pine bite. The middle becomes much sweeter and the finish is a little buiscuity.

M= The mouth is well carbonated.

O= This is a pretty average beer in my opinion. Nothing crazy and it doesn't taste that fresh to me and the profile isn't too complex. An interesting idea with with hierloom hops but it just doesn't deliver. (730 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a clear golden color with a large white head that goes down slowly. Scent is not as good as I was hoping. It is a little weak IMO. Very light on the hops and non malt whatsoever. Some grainy aromas. This kinda smells like a hoppy German beer. Taste is pretty bland as well. Taste is hoppy, but as someone below me already stated, it does taste like a hoppy lager. Not an IPA whatsoever...at least call it a pale ale. Very subtle hops with some dry grain-like flavors. Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Drinkability is high. Overall, this is not a bad beer, just not a good IPA. I could recommend this beer to people that want to step away from Stella or Harp into something a bit more hoppy. Won't be buying any more of this myself. (734 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a bomber bottle, with a best by date of 12/27/12, and poured rightfully into a Deschutes tulip glass...

A - Pours a light golden yellow color, with 1 finger of fluffy white head. The lacing is pretty nice as it clings to the side of the glass. The color is a little lighter than I'm used to seeing IPAs being. It might look the same color coming out too...

S - Has an earthy, almost peppery aroma. Notes of lemon as well.

T/M - The taste isn't as assertive as I wouldv'e imagined. The flavor is tame for an IPA. I'm getting the peppery notes followed by a little alcohol warmth. A little earthy/resinous finish. The mouthfeel is light, and a little thin.

O - I was sadly a little disappointed with this one. In my opinion, this would have been a decent fresh hop pale ale, but I really don't see this being much more than an average IPA. (853 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -16.6%

22oz bottle $5. Appearance is super light yellow with a puffy white head, plenty of lace. Aroma is oddly like a pilsner, minerals, weird that I don't get much hops from this. Flavor brings hoppiness but in an odd fashion, citrus and grass are muted by the weird malt profile. This wasn't bad but it was a disappointment compared to hop trip or fresh hop mirror pond. (366 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -16.4%

1 Pint, 6 FL OZ. bottle into tulip glass.

A - Pours semi-cloudy golden, with a sort of weak head...- OK lacing...

S - Hops and lots of sweet citrus - some orange & grapefruit tones...

T - Smooth & Bright! A great hop kick at the top, followed by some citrus, then ending with a bit of pine-like spices...Pleasant & refreshing!!

M - Great carbonation! There's a good fullness. Present, but not 'too' much fruity/sweet flavors...The final pine/spice balances the beer out wonderfully!

O - For a standard IPA, good. The body kind off dies after the first few sips. The smoothness (drink-ability) is what makes this one worth having more than one. REALLY fresh hops, makes for a good refreshing treat! (704 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Couldn't resist picking up the newest Bond Street Series from Deschutes. Always love their beers, lets see how this one holds up. Bottle best by 12/27/12. Bottle poured into a Nonic Pint.

A- Pours an extremely clear very pale yellow/golden color with 2 fingers of somewhat thick, creamy looking head, (It looks as if you could rest a bottle cap on it, that's how thick it is) that slowly recedes leaving what appears to be some sticky lacing on the glass.

S- Almost smells too clean, not much going on here. There is a hop presence, but it's not near what I expected being a fresh hop ale. It's not quite as dank and resinous as it should be. Lots of earthy/herbal hops coming through. Lots of biscuity, malty backbone to this one.

T- Again, not as in your face as I expected being a wet hop ale. Hop bitterness seems pretty mild compared to some other wet hop ales. More biscuity, malty flavor comes through than expected. This one seems like it's not really put together correctly.

M- Medium body. Moderate amount of carbonation.

O- One word...Disappointed. It just does not seem to do the job of being a fresh/wet hop ale. Tastes more like a slightly hopped up light lager with slightly more body. In my humble opinion, (and this is just mine) this one is not worth seeking out. Don't get me wrong here, it's not a terrible beer, it's just not what I have grown to expect from Deschutes. (1,398 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Draft into pint glass at Bittercreek Alehouse in Boise , Idaho on Nov. 2, 2012 for $6. Honey, pale, golden with light khaki gray head. Decent retention all-around.

Smelled floral notes, honey, bread, corn and light lemon grass. Reminded me of a pilsner more than an IPA.

Tasted similar to the smell, but a tad more fruity. Got floral notes, honey, banana, cloves, bread, skunky, corn and light lemon citrus. Still heavy on the pilsner notes.

Light body. Thin texture. Above average carbonation. Bitter finish.

Pretty disappointed. I was expecting something totally different. This beer just didn’t impress me. (615 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -15.8%

Best by 27DEC12

Pours golden on pilsner straw with a solid sheet of fine whites. Smells fruity with some resin, grass and green grape. Flavor is grainy and nearly like a pilsner with a dry stony bitterness and only a bit of resin character. Medium bodied with soft carbonation and a slick finish. This would be a great beer if marketed as a bohemian pilsner, but IPA, not a chance. (382 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

Bright gold. Thick, shower scum head smears a swath of foam down my glass. Snowy retention.

Smells like grass, light grain and lemon cookie.

Tastes like lemongrass and honey with a sharp bitter.

Bright and sunny Chasin' Freshies could be a summer lawnmower beer. (268 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a light yellow, almost straw-like. It's quite pale for an IPA. Medium white head. Decent lacing. Quite transparent, no haze visible to me. Aroma is grassy with a touch of sweetness. Very clean. It smells like a pilsner, really. It actually tastes like a strong pilsner, too. The taste is relatively dry. Decent hop flavor, grass with some tropical notes. The pale malt sweetness is a bit much, in the same way as nearly every pilsner of similar strength. Mouthfeel is pretty normal, smooth, maybe a touch oily from the hops. I suspect this beer is better on tap. It's not bad, but it reminds me more of one of Full Sail LTD 04 or something than a wet hopped IPA. (668 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from a bottle that says best by 12/27.

Extremely pale in appearance. Some lacing.

Smell is some hops. Some earthy vegatable hops. Not really the notes I was expecting or looking for. The grainy sweetness is about as strong as the hop aromas.

Taste is lager-like to me. A little bready sweetness accompanied by gentle hop characteristics. Just not what I am looking for, but I will say there is a nice hop note on the finish. Alcohol is well hidden. Would never put this at 7.4.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Certainly not what I would expect.

Overall I wanted a fragrant and resiny beer from this fresh-hopped IPA. I got neither. (637 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a pale yellow color with one finger of head that had good retention before settling to a thin cap. Nice amount of lacing is left down the glass. Not going to be much malt in this beer by the look of things.

Not much aroma to speak of. For a beer touting 60 IBUs, the hops are not giving off much. I do get a floral/herbal thing going but rather disappointing.

The flavor is much more interesting. Here are the hops. Has the green hop resiny quality with floral and citrus notes. Quite bitter with no malt to balance things. Slight alcohol flavor in the finish and that is the only thing that breaks up the bitterness.

Light body and abundantly carbonated. The carbonation is just a touch harsh. I would like it toned down a little.

A decent beer but definately disappointing especially coming from this brewery. Probably their only beer I would not buy again. Found it a little difficult to finish the bomber as it wore on me after the first 10 oz. (958 characters)

Bottle opened on 10.10.12

A - Pours a slightly hazy light orange with a one finger near-white foamy head. Great retention.

S - Hoppy pine and grass.

T - Bitter grass, orange peel, and some subtle lemon.

D - Thin body with good carbonation and a bitter finish.

O - Smells good, tast is week and way to thin. (311 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an ok beer but doesn't taste like an IPA to me. It's hoppy but it smells and tastes a lot more like a lager that any IPA I've ever had. I hate to say it, but I detected a slightly skunky Heineken smell. The good news is that the taste is much better but still thin for an IPA. The mouthfeel is really light and lager-y too. Basically, this is an interesting brew. I'd drink it on a hot day and really enjoy it, but on the cold November night I first tasted it, it just wasn't what I'd hoped for, for that day or for an IPA. (531 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1574th Review on BA
Bottle to Chicago Bears Pint
22oz

Best by: 12/27/12
Purchased for $6.99 @ Party House Liquor, Chino Hills, CA

App- Seriously this couldve passed as an AAL in my glass or some sort of a lighter looking witbier. It was a yellow color and completely transparent with a nice 1 finger head that faded quickly. Didnt see much in terms of cling or lace.

Smell- It had an interesting aroma behind it. It wasnt that I would call this an IPA, because it was still bitter and hoppy. I guess the wet hop just throws me on this one. Doesnt smell at all like other fresh wet hops I have tried. Carried that witbier, wheat aroma and a little butter forward.

Taste- Its a very awkward beer to me. It was okay, but dont think I will come back to this one. A bit buttery with some hops and wheat behind it. The layers are there but really lacked a bit of balance for me.

Mouth- A lighter medium almost light body with a fairly medium carbonation. Residual wheat and hops with some sweetness behind it.

Drink- Im still scratching my head on this one. I thought from Deschutes this wouldve been so much better. Just wondering why I cant figure out what the flavors were missing. (1,184 characters)

Chasin' Freshies 2013 - Amarillo from Deschutes Brewery