Conflux No. 1 (Collage) - Deschutes Brewery

Conflux No. 1 (Collage)Conflux No. 1 (Collage)

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  11.60% ABV

Deschutes Brewery and Hair of The Dog Brewing Company join forces to weave The Dissident and The Stoic and Fred and Adam into an artistic collage of cask-aging alchemy.

Barrel Aging: Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak

Released in May 2012 (12 oz. bottles)

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-01-2012)

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

2.08/5  rDev -50%

"Best after 4/30/13." I'd suggest waiting even longer.

Muddy brown body, pretty ugly, and geez does that smell awful. Holy balls, keep that shit away from my nose. Note to self: don't use sherry barrels alongside anything else.

The flavor profile here is a great example of the poker term "FPS" (fancy play syndrome). There are far too many things going on here for its own good. In purely barrel terms, sherry mixing with bourbon and oak is a bad idea. On top of that, you have overly aggressive flavor profiles from multiple base beers clashing as they age. The decision to blend this many bold flavors together was a poor one.

This was my second time with Conflux #1 since its release, and my opinion of it hasn't changed. I love HotD and Deschutes, but this is an awful clusterfuck of a beer. Perfect example of FPS leading brewers awry.

2.28/5  rDev -45.2%

A - a very flat brew with a copper hue.

S - the smell to this one is not a pleasant one. Smells a bit musty accompanied by the scent of a sherry wine and cheaper whiskey.

T - Follows the nose. This one is a mess to me. The taste is a combination of sherry wine, american barleywine and some low end whiskey notes.

M - I get some mouth burn. Usually I like a little burn but not in this case.

O - This beer was very highly priced and delivered a very low overall quality to me. I strongly recommend passing on this beer. Collaboration brews in my experience have been messy and this one is the messiest beer I've had. The flavors do not do well together in my opinion.

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

Mohagany color. No head. I poured it in a wide mouth snifter as well as a normal beer glass, both smell sower. The dissident taste is overwhelming and is the prominant taste.
Could not get any clear Adam or Fred from it.
Personally I think it is overrated and way too expensive. 11 dollars for an 8 oz is ridiculous!

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours murky brown with a small beige head, which fades quickly to a small collar, leaving spotty lacing. Smells very boozy, which doesn't surprise me, given how many barrels were used to age this beer. According to what I found, the barrels used were Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak. I can't say that I can pick out the aromas, because I can't. I can pick up the smell of alcohol, oak, tart fruit, caramel, and a little vanilla. The aroma is a bit of a mess.

The taste is much like the aroma suggests. Oak, caramel, tart fruit, a little vanilla, and a wide variety of barrels used to age this beer. There are so many barrels used, that it is hard to appreciate this beer, because there is just too much going on. The individual beers to produce this beer are outstanding: The Dissident, The Stoic, Fred and Adam. Well, 3 of them are outstanding. I'm not a big fan of the Stoic. Mixed together, this beer is just a boozy mess, and I waited well over a year before opening the bottle. It doesn't seem like it has mellowed to me at all.

Medium to full bodied with light carbonation. There is a strong alcohol aftertaste, and the alcohol is not hidden at all in this beer. Not a total disaster, but not very good either.

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

Thanks for sharing Andy. Poured into a stemmed glass. This on pours a dark mahogany with no real head to speak of. Nice color.

The aroma is full of mollasses and dark fruits. Reminds me of Adam from HotD. Boozey with hints of toffee. Caramel and dark fruits on the pallet with a bit of (seemingly misplaced) tartness.

The body is full with decent carbonation. The flavor lingers. Overall this one seems like a mistake. Could be something great if it wasn't tart.

2.88/5  rDev -30.8%

From a 12oz bottle into a snifter...

A: Despite the fairly aggressive pour, almost no head at all. That's not a problem at all for me--some brews just don't have it. But the beer itself was a strange kind of murky reddish-brown, and it really did not look at all appetizing.

S: A mish-mash of smells going on here. Sour cherries and dark fruit, leather, smoke, tobacco, caramel, definitely a little bit boozy in the nose.

T: This is a very odd beer. The dominating flavors are Fred and the Dissident in a shoving match, with Adam and the Stoic hanging out in the back room sharing a cig. I'm not really digging this blend.

M: Mouthfeel is nice. Crisp, with low carbonation. Suits the beer.

O: I'm not a huge fan overall. I really like all the beers individually, but together the flavors just clash too much in my opinion. An ambitious and creative project, but didn't hit the right notes for me.

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

A: Brown with muddled light brown/orange hues evenly emerging towards the edges. Not much head at all, beads on the end drops of the pour.

S: I honestly get straight sour mashing, like apple cider vinegar. Not much more than this, and it's a hard aroma to get around having homebrewed several flubbed batches that have taken this on. Ok - real faintly, I get some apple, apricot, and prune.

T: Also very very mild, although there is certainly a wealth of things going on... and on... and on. Like a ship at sea, this rides the tides up and down through a myriad of different flavors. It goes something like this: Carbonation -> apple cider vinegar -> dates -> prunes -> cranberry -> pinot noir -> apricot -> zinfandel like feel and acidity -> grape -> whiskey -> port -> peat -> bourbon warmth way on the back. The most prominent/longest lasting flavors are [hard] apple cider [vinegar] which pervades with the carbonation hand in hand, and cranberry like red wine. Although all flavors are very mild. Flavors collapse into each other more than meld as the drink goes on. Gets a 3.5 instead of 3 solely based on the first 1 ounce's complexity.

M: Lower carbonation which seems appropriate for this genetic miscreant of beer that possesses a transformation of warmth and dark body born of fruit acidity. The flavors all begin to be hard to separate from each other very quickly after the first few sips due thanks to the lingering, albeit low, carbonation and wine like acidity. Overall dryer than average, which significantly detracts from the flavor profile of the many things going on in here, particularly at the end where most of the warmer/darker notes were.

O: I was VERY excited about this one. I'm sure it would have been exponentially better had the Stoic been omitted from the blend. I kind of hope they attempt something like this again but with Mirror Mirror instead of the stoic and a little less wine barrel in the ratio, maybe less time in the barrels overall to discourage the vinegar mash type sourness. Is this what people who got Idiot's Drool felt like?

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Pours a murky chestnut with a craggy cap that fritters away quickly leaving a few dots behind

Smell: Interesting combination of sweet caramel, vanilla, coconut and vinous red wine barrels

Taste: On the tip of the tongue, the caramel, coconut, vanilla and Bourbon tones marry nicely; would that I could keep it on the tip with my sweet taste receptors as once the beer spreads over the rest of the tongue, the sour vinous character moves to the fore, battling with and vanquishing the sweeter tone; the finish is tart, but not in a good way

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation but a puckery aspect

Overall: I have sometimes wondered what would happen if you took a taste out of the dump bucket at a gala tasting of barleywines, stouts and sours - well I don't have to wonder any more; this could be my biggest beer disappointment ever as I had high hopes after aging this in my cellar for a couple of years

3.04/5  rDev -26.9%

Consumed April 23rd, 2013 from a bottle labeled "best after 04/30/13". Sue me; I couldn't wait. Poured into a Mother Earth Brewing... goblety-flute glass. Consumed at 50 degrees F.

Beer pours a fairly clear deep reddish brown. A two finger off white head forms and hangs around for quite some time.

Aroma is sweet like brown sugar and sour like lemons. Seems like there's a touch of green olive and must in there as well that kind of almost ruins it.

Flavor: sharp-edged sourness cuts through the syrupy-sweet caramel body. A bit of lemon on the finish. Morphs into white wine vinegar as beer warms. Despite all the component beers and barrel-aging shenanigans, not especially complex. But the flavors ARE intense and the beer has a warming effect in the stomach. I had this when it was first released and it seemed better then.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and a little creamy with some carbonation to keep it lively.

Overall, this didn't turn out very well. Maybe this was a bad bottle or maybe the off notes in the aroma developed over time, but I wish I had taken notes on the first bottle I had when it freshly released. Aging hurt this one.

Conflux No. 1 (Collage) from Deschutes Brewery