Conflux No. 1 (Collage) - Deschutes Brewery

Conflux No. 1 (Collage)Conflux No. 1 (Collage)

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  11.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-01-2012

Deschutes Brewery and Hair of The Dog Brewing Company join forces to weave The Dissident and The Stoic and Fred and Adam into an artistic collage of cask-aging alchemy.

Barrel Aging: Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak

Released in May 2012 (12 oz. bottles)
Ratings: 784 | Reviews: 216
1.89/5  rDev -54.5%

Poured 12/26/14 from a 12oz bottle. Color is deep copper, almost brown, with a sliver of head and light bubbles. Smell is not overly strong, but I'm getting a hint of barleywine and whiskey. Taste hits me like a punch to the face: little at first, but then you get slight whiskey that develops into a wine flavor; definite booze punch that is tronger here than in some others I've had with as much or more ABV. There is an alcohol burn here. This beer finishes very tart, sour; which ruins it for me. This is not my style, and I did not do enough research to determine this is what I was getting. Feel was fine; carbonation was still strong with a dry finish. Sours just are not my deal, but I imagine those who enjoy them will love this.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Aroma was huge and complex, there was raisin, plum, strawberry, cherry, grapes, wine, whiskey, booze, a sour vinegar element and oak. The color was interesting as well, it poured a hazy deep amber, almost brown, color with very little head, typically indicative of a sour. Lo and behold it was quite tart on the palate, I know there was a sour beer involved and wine barrel aging, and I really liked that. Also got raisin, plum, blackberry, pomegranate, wine, cherries, whiskey/bourbon and wood. There's was a nice sweetness running through it in addition to the sourness, and some earthiness. It was full bodied, but also crisp and tart. All in all I thought this was an incredible beer with a lot of depth and complexity. Glad I was able to try it and can't wait to see what other craziness comes out of this conflux series in the future. Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The coup de grace of our Conflux No. 1 tasting, we enjoyed this out of a 12 oz brown bottle with a "best after" date of 4/30/13. Even though I've had this beer before, it will be interesting to see if I can pick out the various components from the blended beers--Fred, Adam, Stoic, Dissident. Poured into an old fashioned glass.

Appearance (4.25) - I really expected this one to look a bit muddled with the various styles being included, but it pours a gorgeous chestnut hue of brown with some reddish tints and a tiny bit of haze, but less haze than I expected. Atop the body sits a finger of ecru foam that shows moderate retention before fizzling away to a ringlet and spots of film on the surface. Lacing is subdued and faint.

Smell (4.25) - Here is where I start to recognize the various notes of the beers I just drank. There are notes of both light and dark fruits, also a hint of pomegranate tartness that pairs up well with the balsamic acidity to balance the richer notes of leather and dried tobacco that peek through from the Adam. I really didn't expect to be able to detect components of each beer so distinctly, but here we are. So far this is a massive success.

Taste (4.5) - Much like the smell, the component beers are each well-represented, with none really overpowering the others. Here, the fruitiness becomes a little more distinct, with notes of golden raisin and dried fig, as well as some black plum. I don't get the pomegranate as much at this phase, but there is a semi-sweet tartness on the finish that provides just a touch of bite. Any more and it would ruin the more savory and sweet elements of the taste, but as it is, it's just a point of subtle interest. There are earthy undertones and wet bark going on here as well, and just hints of bitterness that somehow help to balance out all the disparate components.

Mouthfeel (4.0) - Medium-bodied and moderate carbonation, with a slightly creamy feel and just a pinch of puckering on the tongue.

Overall (4.25), this is one of the oddest and most interesting (in a good way) beers I've ever had. While it's far from the first blended beer I've sampled, I think it may be the first where the beers used were so stylistically stratified. A golden strong ale, an old ale, a quad and an oud bruin aren't a combination that I would have imagined myself. Then throwing it into seven different barrels... crazy. In some ways, it's amazing that it turned out as well as it did--with so many elements, there were many places along the way where something could have gone very wrong. Cheers to HOTD and Deschutes for showing ambition and kudos to them for it paying off. I will certainly buy this beer anytime I run across it sitting on a shelf, even if it's $10 for 12 oz.

Ordered a bottle at HoTD tasting room. Poured into a tulip, best after date 4-30-13. Enjoyed 8-3-14 :)
A- pours a reddish brown color. No head but some foam and bubbles.
S- cherry, dark fruit, cranberry, brown sugar, chocolate
T- the dissident has definitely taken over with a nice tart finish. I predominately taste The Dissident and The Stoic with Adam and Fred complimenting those flavors with vanilla, chocolate, dark fruit, sweet fruit, orange, brown sugar, perfect tart finish, and booze that warms up as it goes down. Very very smooth for such high abv.
O- absolutely incredible blend by two very different but world class breweries. You can easily make out every beer and the barrel age notes. Well done

4.44/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
11.6% ABV, Best After 4/30/13

A - Ruby mahogany in color, Collage pours with great clarity and a surprisingly stable off-white head that leaves a ring of Swiss cheese-like suds on the beer but little in the way of lace left on the glass.

S - The huge mess of barrel-aging this beer went through goes a long way in the nose, leading the sense of smell down a winding path of glorious confusion and complexity. Rye spice tickles the nose with sharpness while Sherry fruit and red grape skin tug in a different direction, leaning towards distressed leather. The malty body furthers the complexity with more dark fruit preserves spread over toasted wheat English muffin and sprinkled with brown sugar. With ever whiff I feel I've barely scratched the surface.

T - Despite the deep and frankly intimidating complexity of the aroma, this first edition of the Conflux Series yields a far more simple flavor. Nuances of rye whiskey and bourbon alcohol skim the surface of the tongue, giving way a bready malt beer that finishes with lingering virgin oak notes.

M - Warming alcohol dries out the tongue which leaves a certain thinness on the palate despite the beer's clearly malty heft; a good balancing act that's not overlooked.

O - At first,Collage, the first release in Deschutes and Hair of the Dog's Conflux Series, smells like a barrel-aged mess, flooding the olfactory with too many directions but, as the beer warms and more and more sniffs are taken, it really comes together nicely. It's obviously had some time on it between it's release and my enjoyment but the alcohol is mellow and flavor profile is fantastic.

3.22/5  rDev -22.4%

12oz. bottled poured into imperial pint glass.

Bottled in May 2012, consuming in July 2014.

A: Pours a slightly opaque mahogany with some organic honey tinges around the edges. Even with a moderate pour, little to no head was formed. Lack of a head = lack of any lacing. The beer's coloring, however, is gorgeous.

S: An strong whiskey aroma upfront with some hints of oak or cedar wood and bitter grapes. Alcohol is clearly apparent, considering this one smells almost exclusively of whiskey.

T: First sip was far too cold and really seemed to mask a lot of the flavors, giving this a strong, pungent oak-aged whiskey flavor. It's starting to warm up now and the flavors are slightly more pleasant. In addition to heavy whiskey notes, I'm tasting some malty sweetness, in the direction of honey and light brown sugar or molasses. The middle is an extremely tart fruit medley, red and white grapes, cherries, perhaps a bit of plum, leading well into the finish. The lingering flavor is mildly boozy with a lot of woody flavors—oak and some cedar almost.

M: Probably the best aspect of the brew here... A solid medium body with a very subdued carbonation makes this extremely smooth. Slides across the palate nicely and feels wonderful in the mouth.

O: I don't love this beer, and prior to letting it warm up beyond cellar temperature, I didn't even like it. A little bit of patience with this keeps it out of drain pour territory. The flavors are super complex and clearly an example of the artistic prowess of both parties involved; however, I'm open about my dislike towards whiskey and bourbon, and given that both of which are very dominant in the flavor profile, I found myself less than pleased with this. Would have liked to try it fresh, though.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Collaboration worth capitalizing on:

A: Has an elusive tan/off-white head, and would say has a hazy/murky amber color to it; red wine essence if you will

S: Fairly complex considering all the varieties that went into this guy: caramel, fruit, cherry, grapes, raisins, malt and oak

T: Malty sweet then sour: fruit, grapes, cherries, vanilla, toasted oak and bourbon, brown sugar and even slightly Smokey. The intricacies of this collaboration present a nice warming aftertaste

M: A medium/full body and a comforting level of carbonation

O: A fairly well balanced, and complex beer by the authors Deschutes and Hair of the Dog…..when the cap comes off, the novel begins

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Best by date of 4-30-2013 ... ENJOYED and reviewed on 6-22-2014

A - Murky, burgundy color

S - I first noticed cherry and light notes of malt

A - Pours a murky, dark burgundy with almost no head or lacing

T - COMPLEX ... Sometimes I taste individual elements of the Hair of the Dog beers and sometimes I taste a new beer with tart fruit. This is a beautifully balanced beer.

M - Just right for this perfect blend of four beers. I've had all four beers and they are expertly blended.

O- It has to be hard to blend beers together to complement each other without overwhelming each other. I keep thinking I like this as is and wanting the individual element, especially Fred!

If I had the choice between the individual beers and this outstanding combination, I'd prefer the individual beers, but I loved what they did here.

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The appearance was a dark copper color with no head.

Smell - From the aroma, you can well this was aged in wine barrels. It is like a quality sweet wine.

Taste - At the from, the grapes of the wine barrel aging dominate. But then, you can tell this is an American strong ale. The malts bend toward the sweeter parts of the palate, but then shift toward sour in the after taste. It is sticky like butterscotch, but has the elements of wine. Without question, the aftertaste is warming.

Mouthfeel - I beer coats the tongue allows the sourness of the grapes to dance on the tongue long after each swallow. The carbonation is low, with the thickness being appropriate for the style.

Overall - It would seem the aging would not work for the style, but I like is a lot. Since I did not have it fresh, I can not vouch for what aging did. Aging rarely harms a beer like this.

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Pours a murky chestnut with a craggy cap that fritters away quickly leaving a few dots behind

Smell: Interesting combination of sweet caramel, vanilla, coconut and vinous red wine barrels

Taste: On the tip of the tongue, the caramel, coconut, vanilla and Bourbon tones marry nicely; would that I could keep it on the tip with my sweet taste receptors as once the beer spreads over the rest of the tongue, the sour vinous character moves to the fore, battling with and vanquishing the sweeter tone; the finish is tart, but not in a good way

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation but a puckery aspect

Overall: I have sometimes wondered what would happen if you took a taste out of the dump bucket at a gala tasting of barleywines, stouts and sours - well I don't have to wonder any more; this could be my biggest beer disappointment ever as I had high hopes after aging this in my cellar for a couple of years

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a Russian River stemmed glass. Best after date of 04/30/13, though it was released in 05/12. Having only had Adam out of all the different beers blended I’m not sure what to expect…

A: A down the side pour produced a finger of fizzy off white head which reduced itself to a cap after a couple minutes. Murky reddish brown body. Rich sudsy lacing.

S: Lots going on in the nose. Upfront there’s a cheesy lactic tartness, oaky bourbon soaked wood, smoaky/toasted oak, red wine tannis, maraschino cherries, and a leathery malt backbone. Smells like the label would have you think, a hodgepodge off all kinds of beers aged in different barrels.

T: Starts off with a sweet maltyness not unlike a quad aged in bourbon barrels, follows through into a Flanders Red cherry tartness/wine barrel, and finishes with a more leathery malt and toasted oak note. Cheesy yogurt lingers on your tongue for a while. There’s a smoky wood note that hangs around for a bit in the sides of your tongue.

M: Full mouthfeel with low carbonation. Moderate barrel warmth. It would have been nice to see a higher carbonation to make some of the notes stand out more.

Overall: A beer with a story to tell. As mentioned, this taste like the label would have you think: a blend of different beers aged in different barrels. From what I can tell, it goes Stoic, Dissident, and then Adam. Some stand out notes from the barrels are the bourbon barrels in the nose, tart wine barrels in the middle, and a nice toasted oak in the finish. In short, while it was a bit expensive (understandably so), I’d say it’s worth a try at least once as there’s plenty going here. It’d be great to see Deschutes do this every year with a new brewery (hint hint). I’d love to try this again in the future, and wish this wasn’t my only bottle.

*When the beer warmed up, a spicy acetone type scent appeared in the nose.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle from trade. Best after 4/30/13 poured on 4/14/14. Thanks! Pours murky brown with a small creamy khaki head on top. Sour apples, caramel, oak, bourbon, toffee, red wine, booze. Bourbon caramel cherry green apples here? Quite a flavor here. There is definitely a dark sourness from the Deschutes brews, and yet plenty of Fred and nutty figgy toffee caramel remains. Vanilla and bourbon are mellow and accent the many flavors here. Definitely a dry oak presence to finish and some vinous and sherry notes to boot. Big full sticky mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. My taste buds are so confused. What a weird combination of beers, yet enjoyable. Like a sour barrel aged English barleywine, except way better than that sounds.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Murky dark reddish amber with one finger of head that slowly settled to a thin cap. Quite a bit of lacing is left down the glass during consumption. Looks pretty good for a high ABV beer.

My immediate impression upon smelling this beer was that of a red wine such as a pinot noir. Fruity vinous notes to go along with oak, leather, caramel, earth, and dates. The alcohol is also prevalent in the aroma.

Tastes a lot like red wine as well. Vinous flavors along with a strong oak component. Secondary flavors of caramel, dates, and toffee. The flavors do not blend together all that well unfortunately. Alcohol makes itself known with flavor and warmth, but the time in the bottle must of calmed things down a bit. Slightly tart and sweet finish.

Big body with a well matched carbonation. Smoothly textured but stops short of being creamy.

A lot of interesting things going on in this beer but it does not exactly work well together.

A: Pours a reddish brown with a half inch of dense light tan head that fades to a small pool and well established collar. not a lot of lacing
S: It smells like the dissident has taken over. I'm getting some sour cherry, some nice oakyness, a slight bourbon and some malty sweetness
T: tartness up front with some nice bourbon notes, a bit of oakyness, some borderline paint thinner flavors , a bit of caramel malt. swallow brings a bit more tart cherry, some vanilla, and a little caramel
M: lighter side of medium on the mouth with good carbonation that is just slightly prickly and a drying finish
O: For a blend of beers it's pretty good, as far as the style I think it missed the mark. I'm digging the tartness but the dissident has become the dominant beer in this blend.

3.64/5  rDev -12.3%

I have NO idea where this might have come from, but it sure is intriguing!

From the bottle: "A Deschutes Brewery and Hair of the Dog Brewing Company artistic expression"; "Conflux No. 1: Malt Beverage aged in distilled spirit and wine oak barrels"; "Deschutes Brewery and Hair of the Dog Brewing Company join forces to weave The Dissident and The Stoic and Fred and Adam into an artistic collage of cask-aging alchemy. Damn, beer is fun."

It strikes me that this is a collaboration in the same way that "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" was a collaboration. Naughty, naughty! Hopefully, this is not also a cop-out at the end.

I began with a gentle pour, but it was murky from the jump, so I amped it up and got a brief finger if light-tan head for my troubles. I could not help but smell it as it poured into my glass. Dried, dark fruits came immediately to mind and when I leaned in, I got a whiff of leather, red wine, and simple alcohol heat. My bottle was marked "Best After: 4/30/13" and even nearly a year past that date, it could have been aged even further. Color was a slightly murky, not quite opaque, but not hazy, either, soppery-brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with ruby highlights. Mouthfeel was full and viscous, like a dollop of beer on my tongue more than a draught. Jesus! The heat was immediate, followed by a vinous red wine taste, then bourbon-like coconut and the dried, dark fruits of the nose. Wow! Warming, I began to get the leatheriness that I had sensed on the nose, Phew! Finish would not disavow me of the belief that, if I closed my eyes, I was drinking wine. I just kept coming back to a rich, red wine flavor that when coupled with its high ABV made for a much more intense beer than I usually like. Conflux Collage collaboration?!? More like Conflagration! I am a beer neo-hippie in that I will try anything once, but one may be more than enough for me in this case. I feel badly as I am sure that a lot of effort went into this, but it is just too much.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

12 oz bottle, best after 4/30/13, bought 5/17/12. Pours hazy reddish amber with a small creamy off white head that goes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is some oxidized sherry with some fruity oak and alcohol.

The flavor is figgy vinous fruits, vanilla, oak and some strong alcohol and slight oxidation. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, aging helped this one. A nice flavorful aged beer - tastes like an older English barleywine.

3.61/5  rDev -13%

Poured at 60 degrees. Purchased at Monde in Philly for $15.

A: murky brown with orange-ish highlights and a tan head. Nice one inch head with excellent rentention.

S: wood, tart fruit like apricot, and slight sweetness.

T: strange sweetness and molasses to start. The old ale is present for just a bit, then it turns to sweet and sour with a hint of fruit, and finally it finishes with oak and brown sugar. Nothing is wrong with the taste if that's what they're going for, but it's weird.

M: thick, highly carbonated, but still manages to finish decently dry

O: really odd beer that I'm not sure how to rate at all. It's interesting for sure, but I'm not going to buy another (especially at $15). Happy to try it once, and it was a great experience, but tough to finish a full 12 ounces.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours out a nice dark non-translucent brown in color with a small beige head with little retention. Smell is nice dark malts, a little boozy, some vanilla, and some nice dark fruits although not as prominent as the aforementioned. Taste is really nice tart fruit, vanilla, a little booze, and the dark fruits are more prominent in the taste. Mouthfeel is medium/maybe a little thinner. Really a nice tasting beer here.. I think I'm going to pick up one for some aging as I think it would really help here. This is a great beer.

3.54/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Belgian flute from a twelve-ounce bottle.

The appearance here isn't remarkable, but it's still a good looking beer. The head is thin and khaki-colored and there's plenty of sticky lace around the glass. Below the head is an opaque, auburn and dark brown liquid that resembles a port.

Interestingly enough, Conflux smells very much like a port, with peppery, oaken, dark fruit notes. There's lots of plum and date in there. I get a bit of fruit cake as well, plus sour cherries and other tartness.

Having smelled so much goodness, I was looking forward to the taste of this beer, but I found it to be a bit of a disappointment. The beer is very port-like, which alone is fine, but the sour cherries don't mix very well with this, creating an odd taste. The pepper and oak are there, as is some potent booze, all of which, again seem to pull the beer in different directions.

As I mention above, the beer is a bit harsh to drink. There are so many different tastes and feels hitting my tongue that the beer seems to be a mess. It's somewhat of an assault on the tongue.

I had very high expectations for Conflux and this beer has some very interesting aspects, especially the port flavor, but I found the beer a challenge to drink.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Forgot who shared this at my cellar cleaning party.

No head, dark murky hazy mahogany.

Nose lots of barrel, whisky, bourbon, brandy, etc etc, so much barrel, sweet candy malt, butterscotch, little nutty candy sweet note, little agave tequila, sweet syrupy candy cognac, etc.

Taste is decent, lots of maple, syrupy, butterscotch. Mild bitter, little sticky sweet, syrupy caramel and toffee, candy, etc., more of the barrel notes with a whisky like, fruity cognac, etc.

Mouth is fuller bod and a little sticky, decent carb, some warming booze.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter and enjoyed.

A: Pours a nice dark amber, almost mahogany in color. Generous 2 finger head dissipates quickly into a nice cap that sticks around.
S: Wonderful complex smell that you sense as soon as you pop the top. Oak, sherry, cherry, touch of alcohol, and a slight sour soul to it.
T: Opens up to a wonderful taste that mirrors the smell. Slight maltiness with a little roasted walnut character that blend beautifully.
M: Still good carbonation for a year old and a half old bottle. As the flavors develop in the mouth, the alcohol mixes nicely to cut any sweetness.
O: One of the better ones I've had lately. This has a great character that just keeps developing as it warms. Two of the finest breweries for this style have certainly done right by this one. Can't wait to see how this develops.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours into a stemmed glass a deep tawny brown with a tinge of amber,a sticky half finger light beige head atop.Sour cherry and caramel in the nose with a bit of hay.The palate is hit with a sour almost lactic note along with some mild chocolate,Iam not a sherry fan, the sour/lactic tones win out.Wow that was unexpected with it's out of the mainstream flavors here.I admit the sourness hit me sideways.

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into my KTG Snifter.

Appeared a dark red, slightly cloudy color with some orange tints. A two finger white head dissipated quickly.

Smelled sweet and tangy, could definitely detect some of the wine notes. Fruity.

Delicious taste. Perfect balance of tang, tartness, sweetness, alcohol, and maltiness. Tastes somewhat like a Barley-wine.

Mouth feel is nice. Would like a bit more body to it but the tangyness and slight carbonation go well.

Overall what a surprise. Wasn't sure what to expect but this was absolutely delicious. Wish I had more!

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into a stemmed tulip. Best after 04/30/13

(A)- Pours a deep mahogany color with subtle crimson red highlights. Produced a nice cap of off-white froth. Solid retention for the style and ABV in mind.

(S)- Ever so slight tangy vinegar sourness meets a rather wine-like dark fruit character. Oaky, with an underlying caramel sweetness. Definitely complex.

(T)- An up front red fruit-like wine vinegar tang. Quite oaky with a heavier maltiness of honey and toffee. Finishes dry.

(M)- A mellow yet smooth carbonation level. I like the playfulness this has with the underlying sweetness all the while being slightly tart and some oaky fruits.

(O)- Having had alot of experiences with Fred, i can see that beer's influence in the underlying sweet malts this has. The slight tart twang plays well with a flanders-like feel to the beer overall. The wine character really smoothes that out and fits well between the sweet and malty base and the tart dark red fruits. A shame this was so limited and expensive since it is drinking quite nicely now.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer has been somewhat of a shapeshifter over it's lifespan, I've had it at times and it has ranged from amazing to underwhelming, this bottle is closer to the higher end of the scale.

A: Dark ruby, crystal clean and translucent.

S: Fruity esters with a hing of acetic acid suggest some tart fruit character to be had. Hints of plum and red wine grapes with an earthy must on the back end.

T: Sweet plum skins and a hint of leather show up first followed by a carmely malt presence (Fred I'm guessing) and a nice lactic twang on the finish.

M: like it should be.

O: Really unique and really complex beer, I enjoy being able to pick apart the different elements. This is a collaboration done right.

Conflux No. 1 (Collage) from Deschutes Brewery