Conflux No. 1 (Collage) - Deschutes Brewery

Conflux No. 1 (Collage)Conflux No. 1 (Collage)

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  11.60% ABV

Deschutes Brewery and Hair of The Dog Brewing Company join forces to weave The Dissident and The Stoic and Fred and Adam into an artistic collage of cask-aging alchemy.

Barrel Aging: Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak

Released in May 2012 (12 oz. bottles)

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-01-2012)

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

I have NO idea where this might have come from, but it sure is intriguing!

From the bottle: "A Deschutes Brewery and Hair of the Dog Brewing Company artistic expression"; "Conflux No. 1: Malt Beverage aged in distilled spirit and wine oak barrels"; "Deschutes Brewery and Hair of the Dog Brewing Company join forces to weave The Dissident and The Stoic and Fred and Adam into an artistic collage of cask-aging alchemy. Damn, beer is fun."

It strikes me that this is a collaboration in the same way that "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" was a collaboration. Naughty, naughty! Hopefully, this is not also a cop-out at the end.

I began with a gentle pour, but it was murky from the jump, so I amped it up and got a brief finger if light-tan head for my troubles. I could not help but smell it as it poured into my glass. Dried, dark fruits came immediately to mind and when I leaned in, I got a whiff of leather, red wine, and simple alcohol heat. My bottle was marked "Best After: 4/30/13" and even nearly a year past that date, it could have been aged even further. Color was a slightly murky, not quite opaque, but not hazy, either, soppery-brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with ruby highlights. Mouthfeel was full and viscous, like a dollop of beer on my tongue more than a draught. Jesus! The heat was immediate, followed by a vinous red wine taste, then bourbon-like coconut and the dried, dark fruits of the nose. Wow! Warming, I began to get the leatheriness that I had sensed on the nose, Phew! Finish would not disavow me of the belief that, if I closed my eyes, I was drinking wine. I just kept coming back to a rich, red wine flavor that when coupled with its high ABV made for a much more intense beer than I usually like. Conflux Collage collaboration?!? More like Conflagration! I am a beer neo-hippie in that I will try anything once, but one may be more than enough for me in this case. I feel badly as I am sure that a lot of effort went into this, but it is just too much.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz bottle, best after 4/30/13, bought 5/17/12. Pours hazy reddish amber with a small creamy off white head that goes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is some oxidized sherry with some fruity oak and alcohol.

The flavor is figgy vinous fruits, vanilla, oak and some strong alcohol and slight oxidation. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, aging helped this one. A nice flavorful aged beer - tastes like an older English barleywine.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured at 60 degrees. Purchased at Monde in Philly for $15.

A: murky brown with orange-ish highlights and a tan head. Nice one inch head with excellent rentention.

S: wood, tart fruit like apricot, and slight sweetness.

T: strange sweetness and molasses to start. The old ale is present for just a bit, then it turns to sweet and sour with a hint of fruit, and finally it finishes with oak and brown sugar. Nothing is wrong with the taste if that's what they're going for, but it's weird.

M: thick, highly carbonated, but still manages to finish decently dry

O: really odd beer that I'm not sure how to rate at all. It's interesting for sure, but I'm not going to buy another (especially at $15). Happy to try it once, and it was a great experience, but tough to finish a full 12 ounces.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours out a nice dark non-translucent brown in color with a small beige head with little retention. Smell is nice dark malts, a little boozy, some vanilla, and some nice dark fruits although not as prominent as the aforementioned. Taste is really nice tart fruit, vanilla, a little booze, and the dark fruits are more prominent in the taste. Mouthfeel is medium/maybe a little thinner. Really a nice tasting beer here.. I think I'm going to pick up one for some aging as I think it would really help here. This is a great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Belgian flute from a twelve-ounce bottle.

The appearance here isn't remarkable, but it's still a good looking beer. The head is thin and khaki-colored and there's plenty of sticky lace around the glass. Below the head is an opaque, auburn and dark brown liquid that resembles a port.

Interestingly enough, Conflux smells very much like a port, with peppery, oaken, dark fruit notes. There's lots of plum and date in there. I get a bit of fruit cake as well, plus sour cherries and other tartness.

Having smelled so much goodness, I was looking forward to the taste of this beer, but I found it to be a bit of a disappointment. The beer is very port-like, which alone is fine, but the sour cherries don't mix very well with this, creating an odd taste. The pepper and oak are there, as is some potent booze, all of which, again seem to pull the beer in different directions.

As I mention above, the beer is a bit harsh to drink. There are so many different tastes and feels hitting my tongue that the beer seems to be a mess. It's somewhat of an assault on the tongue.

I had very high expectations for Conflux and this beer has some very interesting aspects, especially the port flavor, but I found the beer a challenge to drink.

Conflux No. 1 (Collage) from Deschutes Brewery