Saison - Deschutes Brewery

Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: ccrida on 05-24-2008

3.65/5  rDev n/a

had from tap and poured into tulip. Pours a nice almost clear orange color with a good foamy head.

Nice and aromatic with aromas of citrus, spices, orchard fruits and some floral aromas as well. A much more citrus based saison with a nice refreshing quality to it.

Very good medium body, but its a bit lacking on the mid and the finish is almost non-existent. Very nice flavors of citrus, orchard fruits and spices.

A nice saison and very drinkable. Was a nice refresher after having the sour raz. (501 characters)

3.45/5  rDev n/a

On tap at the Bend Pub on 6.21.12.

A - Served a cloudy light orange with a near white head.

S - Lots of lemon and some light wheat.

T - Same as the nose. Lots of lemon and a touch of wheat.

D - Sweeter than expected and not much spice to speak of. Light body and lower carbonation.

O - A light and wheaty-lemon. I wasn't going to miss this one. Not quite what I was hoping for. (392 characters)

4.35/5  rDev n/a

Fancy 2L growler from the Portland Public House poured into my large Deschutes flute, the Saison is a slightly murky dark gold with a large bubbled white head that lasts longer then I expected (for a growler), leaving decent lace.

Smell is very nice, dusty minerals, sweet honey malt and floral, spicy noble hops capped with classic Saison esters. If your familiar with Saison's, the smell of this is unmistakable.

Taste is also very good, I'm really quite surprised with just how authentic Deshute's take on Saison actually is - they really nailed it! In fact, they served me a sample of both this and "Easy", a brand new mystery seasonal even the bartenders were clueless to. I correctly realized he mixed up which glass was the Saison and which was what I'd call some type of pale wheat session ale. It's really nice to have a Saison from a NW brewpub that is so classic, even if arguably Americanized with the hops. Big fruity Wallonian yeast flavor that I love, nice citrus sweetness with a just slightly metallic, clean malt backbone and big lingering, bitter finish. Fantôme meets d'Achouffe, a bigger, fruity and richer Saison that's bitter as hell and bone dry. I've got to say, I'm really shocked - it's very tasty! Saison has been my favorite style for a couple of years, and I've just started drinking a lot more of them again seasonally, and this is right in line with the artisanal style and exceptionally well done!

Mouthfeel is dry and sharp, with a medium body and a dusty, yeasty, tannic feel. I really like ABV range of 6-7%, gives it just enough malty umph to round out the flavor without making it too heavy. Going with the Fantôme standard 8+% would have been nice, but like the Masters, it requires bugs, and a bit of time in the cellar to dry it out appropriately - how about a cork-finished Reserve Series, Deshutes???

Drinkability is really high, wow! Almost twice the price ($21 vs. 12) for this 'big' (e.g. Belgian, even though it's a session ale!) beer growler refill, I'm still really glad I popped into the pub when I did, as I don't get there often enough. My only comment would be that even though I really like the aggressive hop bitterness, I'd prefer some (more?) dry hopping to balance it out with more flavor. Still, it's killer!

Since this review was so glowing, I decided to save the last half of the growler and revisit a day later as a sanity check. Even with the flip top, leaving it half full was enough to sap most of the carbonation, really hurting the crispness of the mouthfeel. Saison esters are still on the nose, more banana then bubblegum now, and not as hoppy. Taste help up the best, only change was some slight phenols. (2,685 characters)

Saison from Deschutes Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.