Black Butte XXIV - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 07-25-2012

Brewed with dark chocolate nibs, Daglet dates and Mission figs.

Fairly viscous deep mahogany/brown pour with a small off-white head. Slightly syrupy body that coats the mouth with raisins, dates, figs, prunes, rummy notes, deep, dark chocolate, and a finish that is quite bittersweet. Flirts with cloying, at times, but avoids it. Another Excellent effort from Deschutes.

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep near-black, like Deschute's regular Black Butte. Looks pretty. Doesn't glow in the dark or anything.

S: Wow. As soon as I cracked the wax seal on the cap and smelled the mind-bogglingly rich aroma, I knew this would become an instant favorite. I was right. Definite fruity, sweet aromas, reminding me of figs, dates, raisins, and cocoa.

T: Porters and stouts don't get better than this. Reminds me of Deschute's regular Black Butte but vastly expanded, including rich dark fruit flavors uncoiling between layers of toasty malts and chocolate. Definitely a masterpiece.

M: Creamy and satisfying, just the right amount of carbonation and alcoholic bite to balance the seductive flavors. This is a very high ABV beer and it's proud of it.

O: I spent all my extra cash on these. Wish I had more. Would be worth buying several of and saving for special occasions.

Side note: Drink this with the best vanilla ice cream you can buy. Excellent pairing.

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Got on a special tap takeover @ Standard Market, Westmont. Now I give appearance a 5 due to the fact that after my pour, the Deschutes camera woman loved the way it fell into the waning 6 o'clock sunset and made it picture worthy-it was a thang of beauty. Even in the sunset it twas pitch imperial black.

Aroma was a mellifluous potpourri of chocolate, coffee, and a confiture of dark fruits of raisins, dates and figs.

I say take your time with this young man-dark chocolate nibs, sweet cream and definite figs. Hot dam-I even get some Redman tobacco sweetness! This is really a complexity that one needs to experience than put into words.

Mouthfeel is creamy, sticky and semi-sweet. Could swear I see a brownish oily residue from the cocoa on the glass. Spectacular!!

Had the pleasure of meeting the brewer who guided the lure of the exotic ingredients into this craft. One of a kind never to be duplicated--maybe. A mother hubbard of a porter. This should be named 'Call Me a Cab'.

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

On tap at Boondoggle's in Clear Lake, Texas

What a GREAT beer. I love porter's. This is easily one of the best I've ever had. Everything about it is big and great. All the usual porteriness is there, but with more alcohol in the end as it's a double.

I wish this one was year round. I have a bottle to store of this, but I'm going to go and pick up two or three more because this stuff is great.

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Consumed: 12/24/13
A-Pours very dark with a khaki colored head that slowly dissipates.

S-Dark fruits, chocolate, coffee, and a hint of roasted malt and coconut (slightly reminded me of a barrel aged beer)

T-Very similar to the nose: dark fruits standing out the most, chocolate, tobacco, alcohol, and hints of roasted malt and coffee. It is very delicious and smooth.

M-Nice mouthfeel-its creamy but balanced with the right amount of carbonation.

D-Very drinkable given its great flavor and complexity.

Overall, this is one of the best porters I've ever drank-a true surprise and treat shared with me by my brother in law in Christmas Eve.

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

This is an exceptional barrel aged porter. This definitely ranks very high amongst the best porters I've ever had.

Aroma reflects strong barrel character, but not excessive. Just the way I like it.

Sweet and full flavored without being sticky. Well balanced.

Deschutes hit the ball out of the park with this one. It is to Porters what GI BCBS is to Stouts and it does it well.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

A: The Black Butte XXIV pours a nice dark black body with a thick dark tan head that quickly fades to just a ring around the glass. The beer leaves a tiny bit of lace on the glass as you drink it.

S: There is so much going on with the nose of this beer... and its absolutely fantastic. There is a nice amount of alcohol, a strong bit of fig, a slight bit of smokiness and other fruits such as cherries and plums. I have spent like 5 minutes just smelling this beer because its so complex.

T: Now to me, this is the best Porter I have ever tasted. I loved Deschutes 23, but this one just has a nicer fruitiness that I have never really tasted in a porter. The flavors just explode on my palate and creates this coating of flavor that refuses to go away. The fruitiness stays for a while, but then evolves into a slightly roasted chocolate. The flavor is just too hard to describe, because there is so much going on.

M: Just so smooth going down. There is a slight crispness on the back of the tongue and throat as the beer goes down. I was honestly thinking it was going to be like the regular Black Butte, with a stronger amount of crispness.

O: Wow... I am seriously speechless on how great this beer is. I mean it just hits the spot in every category and too me it really couldn't get better.. When I review beers I always try to find flaws, but this one doesn't really have any that I can find... Well maybe the price and the availability, but I am willing to wait and pay the price for this amazing beer.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

The nose is really heavy. Dark chocolate, dark fruit, grapes, dates, roasted malts, alcohol and coffee. Taste is just as big and heavy. Roasted malts, coffee, dates, raisins, alcohol, chocolate, a bit more coffee and just a hint of a lighter fruitiness like cherries. The mouthfeel is heavy, thick and robust but still pretty heavily carbonated for this type of beer. Its awesome and I think the one I have aging will do so very well. The alcohol and heat should get muted a bit and the roasty, chocolate notes should come out a bit more. The only improvement I could really ask for here is less heat though.

This is definitely more like an imperial stout that any kind of porter I have ever had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Descheutes Brewery snifter at Bend, OR pizza place. Pours a black espresso including the espresso cremora. No real head. Smell is of sweet fruits, maybe fresh-cut grass. The taste is exquisite - certainly dark fruits of fig and raisins, little on the sweet sede and reminds me very much of a Belgian quad with chocolate and coffee essence. Very light quad-like carbonation also. Event at 10% ABV, it's not overly boozy, being well masked by the complexity of flavors. Overall, this is a great offering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My God, what a complex beer.

I tried this on-tap at the Deschutes brewery in Bend, OR, and if not a sipping beer for the alcoholic intensity, it is definitely one for the flavor alone.

The flavors of cocoa, fig, raisin, roasted coffee bean and malt all complement each other in a lingering front that is hard to forget. Finishes a warm, creamy, lip-smacking fullness that's like having a taste of 18-year scotch followed by a shot of heavy whipping cream. Delicious and definitely worth sharing a 22 oz bottle with a friend over, with a nice meal of steak, potatoes, and asparagus or something on par with that. It is a flavor adventure in itself, but I would recommend sharing it with a nice meal to get the full effect.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, Jason.

A: Pours a pitch black body. It's nearly still; despite a vigorous pour, a thin film barely covers the beer, and the bubbles quickly fall into a thin collar. Very odd. I'm chalking that up to have been in my sub-arctic fridge for such a long time. EDIT: The second pour of the bottle, which had been sitting outside for an hour, yielded a finger of dense, long-lasting mocha-colored head. Exquisite.

S: Chocolate, dark fruit (dates), grape jelly (!), and, of all things, peanut butter. I'm really surprised, and very intrigued. A touch of coffee and some oak round out the aroma. Top-notch.

T: As usual, I drank this without reading the label and tried to guess what went into it. Cocoa nibs, obviously. There's a dark fruit presences (dates again); when the beer is cold, it also has a spicy coffee kick that reminds me of the oxidized aftertaste of Black Butte XXI. Nuts, black cherries. The finish is surprisingly bitter, revealing a substantial hop component that isn't evident earlier in the taste. If there's any barrel-aging involved here, it's subtle and accentuating. I can't pick it out.

So in reading the label, I realized I missed figs -- and even armed with that knowledge, I can't taste them. The dates are too prominent. No mention of coffee, so that must be the roasty grain contribution. I got the dates and cocoa nibs, but they're so forward that it's impossible to miss them.

M: I'm not a fan of the pronounced bitterness in the finish, but I admit it does contrast against what could be a pretty one-dimensional experience. Despite the sweet flavors, the beer is well-attenuated -- I wouldn't say dry, but it's not as oily and heavy as some other barrel-aged beers du jour, either -- and that makes it easy to drink. It does have some burn in the finish, not to be confused with that spicy kick I picked up at times and attributed to oxidized coffee.

O: The advertising says it's "the best one yet." I wanted to laugh at the boast, but I have to agree. It's phenomenal. I was actually going to skip BB XXIV this year based on early comments, and because I didn't care for XXIII (not to mention the numerous other misses in Deschutes' recent limited series: The Stoic, Dissident, Mirror Mirror, Collage). Jason pressed this upon me and insisted I try it. I am really grateful he did. This is top-notch. I genuinely regret not buying more.

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a snifter from a 22 ounce bottle.

A: Pours nearly black as night, with a thin, light tan head that settles to a thin film on the surface. While retention isn't great. lacing is very nice.

S: I can't really point out the dates, but the sweet nose of chocolate and figs is very dominant, along with strong espresso notes and a hint of alcohol.

T: Chocolate and some coffee notes, along with dried dark fruits, fig, and what reminds me of German chocolate cake on the mid-palate. Finish is bittersweet, yet drying with a light hop touch.

Notes: Full-bodied, with a thick, although not syrupy mouthfeel. Flavors are immense. Alcohol is hidden for the most part except for the warming feeling. Balanced as all Hell and tasty as ever. This is hands down one of my favorite anniversary releases from Deschutes. While many would kill me for saying this, I actually look forward to this release more so than The Abyss in any given year.

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pour is dark with a nice Carmel head. Aroma is sweet, Carmel. Bourbon from again makes a push at the start and on the end. Pom and some cocoa make a push but is not over whelming. Insanely delicious brew. Top notch.

4.66/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Oil black. This is DARK beer. I can only see a few bubbles of carbonation on the outer edges because it's so dark. An aggressive pour gave me a lackluster 1/2 inch of a creamy tan head. Retention is not that great as the head dissipates quickly. Regardless of the head retention, this beer looks warm and inviting.

Smell: Strong notes of figs and dates. Very slight roasted coffee smell. The malts used in this beer smell sweet

Taste: VERY strong taste of figs and dates. Again a slight bit of roasted coffee. Slight biscuity taste. This beer is very sweet and rich. The bittering hops used in this beer were likely very clean and neutral, which allows for the fig and date flavors to come shining through the beer and dominate the mouth. Light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is moderate-low to moderate-medium. The mouthfeel is light and smooth with some nice warmth in my cheeks coming from the alcohol. It finishes very wet in the mouth and keeps me coming back for more. I find it hard to put this down.

Overall: Overall I'm very impressed by this beer. Sweet beers are usually not my thing, but this would pair very nicely with similar sweet things. At 11% ABV, this beer is definitely a slow sipper meant to be enjoyed for a special occasion. Perfect all the way around.

4.66/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a deep black-brown with 3 fingers of espresso crema coloured head which quickly disipated to a scant microfilm along the surface. Clumps of lacing linger along the sides of the glass.

S: Dark dried fruit of predominantly dried black cherry followed by raisons, plums and prunes. Strong notes of acrid coffee together with cocoa powder. Sweet undertones of buckwheat honey and black strap molasses.

T: Immediately the cocoa notes come through which is quickly followed by the dark fruit, again noticably the black cherries and prunes. The alcohol esters are apparent which lend a pleasant warmth and notes of bourbon and vanilla. Increadibly smooth on the finish.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with low to moderate carbonation. Oily and thick.

O: The combination of dark cherries and cocoa when combined with the velvety mouthfeel make this an extreamly sophisticated beer. We combined it with a roasted chicken on Christmas, but it would also pair excelently with dried fruits and cheeses or just on its own as a nightcap sipper. One of the best beers I've had in a while - hard to see how they could make this any better.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Deep, dark brown body with a very thick, creamy tan head. Bitter chocolate, cocoa, prunes, figs, and raisins aromas. Rich, creamy mouthfeel; very smooth texture. Alcohol warmth combines nicely with bitter chocolate notes and hop bitterness.

Wow! A well-done big beer. Wonderful complexity across the board with good balance all-around. The dark grains and malts mix well with the dates and figs used in the brewing of this dark monster. Search it out, grab a few bottles (or pints if you find it on tap) and savor it while it lasts. Should age well in the bottle over the years.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a 16 oz. glass.

A: Pours a half-finger opaque dark brown head with some lacing.

S: Roasted beans, chocolate, bourbon notes are what came to mind promising a great tasting beer. The smell was phenomenal.

T: Hard to detect the 11% alcohol due to a very flavorful. Coffee, chocolate, and cocoa seem to be present in the strongest form. It is also mildy sweet with roast notes.

M: Low carbonation, medium body, alcohol can be detected on the palate but it is not overpowering

O: Very good porter like the reset of the Black Butte anniversary releases. Highly recommend this beer or other variants of Black Butte.

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I had the Black Butte XXI a few years back, and on a trip back to Portland Oregon, I decided to drop by Deschutes and try the XXIV.

A - They poured the beer into a tulip glass that had a very sharp curve towards the top. The beer was dark brown, mostly opaque, and had a light head that slowly dissipated.

S - This beer doesn't have an overwhelming scent, but it smells much more of nut and vanilla than the XXI and less like coffee, which for me, is good.

T - This beer has to be just about my favorite tasting beer I have ever had. It has magnificent nutty and earthy flavors, along with chocolate and vanilla. This is the first porter I have had that allows the vanilla to shine through so brightly without toning down the chocolate flavors. I sipped this beer slowly so I could enjoy it as long as possible.

M/D - It was a bit heavy to drink this beer, which made it great for sipping! It would be tough to drink this beer quickly or in large quantities, but thanks to its high ABV and fantastic flavor, it lends its self better to a slow session.

Bottom Line: Great beer, great flavor, continued Deschutes success. You can pick up the Black Butte XXV right now in stores and at the Deschutes public house, and they rotate the Black Butte XXIV as a reserve at the public house.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black (very dark color) with a large, light tan head that takes some time to go down. Scent is absolutely fantastic. The figs and dates really come through strong in the nose. I've never had an imperial porter/stout have this much fig aroma... very inviting. Fresh figs with some vanilla and molasses. A hint of burnt sugar with some dark chocolate. Very nice smelling beer. Taste is initially fig/date forward. Great chocolate flavors...not too much dark chocolate, which I was worried about. Sweet dark fruits dance on the palate as you taste the burnt malt and sugary flavors. A hint of nutmeg in the flavor, which I wasn't expecting. Finishes chocolatey with a hint of bitter hops. Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy, and elegant. Drinkability is surprisingly high for such high ABV. Hardly any alcohol burn. Overall, such a fantastic beer. With a release like this, it blows my mind that people don't rave over this like they do for Kate the Great. This beer is MUCH better IMO.

4.61/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber poured into a Duvel Tulip styel glass. Coming out of the bottle it's a cola brown but gets a dark brown and even black in the center with deep autumn brown highlights. Tan head with mostly small bubbles, great lacing, frothy and thick.

Smell is great. Dark slightly over roasted dark, sweet glazed grains; not quite charred, but like a slightly over done marshmallow. Dark dehydrated fruits like figs, raisins, dates, and maybe even some white grapes (yeah still raisins, whatever). In addition there's the classic fudgey chocolate notes and some slight spices.

Taste is slightly spicy sweeter than I expected, but is freaking amazing! Lots of deep, dark dehydrated fruits like mentioned above in addition to the slightest hints of coffee masked by the sweet fudgey chocolate. There's a slight nuttiness hidden in the fruit as well, really a lot of natural, earthy, pure sweetness. Great spicy notes as mentioned earlier, I think cinnamon and nutmeg, but not in a Christmas sort of way, like a mulled wine sort of way that wasn't intended just for cold weather, there's some tropical fruit like pineapple and tangerine in there.

Moutfeel is down right awesome. Full bodied with a lingering flavor and a nice moderate carbonation level. Not overly, but adequately smooth with a nice natural sweetness to a spicy dry finish. Crazy drinkability. I like all of the anniversary/birthday Black Butte beer I've had so far, but to my recollection, this one is the most drinkable, pretty dangerously drinkable actually. Great beer, great brewery, thanks Geoff!

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed on 8 July 2013, reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a deep brown with 1 finger of light tan head with moderate lacing. Head dissipates rather quickly. Opaque beer... minimal light through the edges reveals a deep brown color with tinges of ruby.

S: I swear... all I smell are things I'd expect from a barrel, molasses, and dark fruits, but it smells fantastic. Dark fruits along the lines of dates, figs, and plums give the nose the quality of a very subdued quad, while vanilla, oak, bourbon, molasses, chocolate, and coconut predominate. I can smell a little alcohol, but it isn't overwhelming.

T/M: Medium to heavy mouthfeel with a medium to low level of carbonation. Just the perfect amount of carbonation so that this beer doesn't feel flat and is interesting to sip. Perfect mouthfeel for its style -- I can't imagine it being better. The taste is sweet with the fruits from the nose, finish is delicious and dominated by the barrel-like characteristics, while the molasses sweetens the body through the entire sip. A lingering roastiness and coffee bitterness on the finish.

O: Really a fantastic beer. When I had this on draft in February I was unimpressed, but something was wrong with the smell for one reason or another and it was almost off-putting. That imperfection was not evident at all in the bottle, and it was quite delicious. I wish the bad draft experience hadn't put me off from picking up more of this, because it's really a great beer and it's drinking wonderfully right now.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into two pint glass. Inky black, let in very little light. A nice thick head, that dissipated slowly

Served with a bowl of homemade tri-tip and vegetable chili, and cornbread.

Huge body to this beer, as expected of their anniversary beers. The figs and dates pop out almost immediately and are held on as the sweetness of the beer combined with body stay awhile in your mouth.

The finish was very good, but could have been better. It was smooth, but the alcohol popped out a bit strong at the end. I figure this will smooth out a bit with age.

Overall an excellent new release for Deschutes' Anniversary series and one of the best they've concocted.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Served on-tap at the Austin Flying Saucer.

A: Dark, opaque black. Thin beige head that settled quickly.

S: Dark chocolate, dark fruits, roasted coffee-like malts.

T: Dark chocolate, cocoa. Figs come out more clearly. Roasted malts give espresso-like flavor. Slight hop bitterness appears as well. Alcohol bite is noticeable.

M: Thick, creamy, and viscous.

O: As I was unable to only buy 1 bottle, I was really glad to be able to sample this fresh on tap. I'm really looking forward to see what a year of cellaring does to this one. Extremely enjoyable fresh, though.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

On cask at the Portland brew pub. Served in a Descutes snifter.

Devilishly dark brown-black body. Thick cap of creamy, dense, bright sandy brown head. Great lacing. Big malty aromas of dark chocolate, figs, raisins, plums, and licorice. Some roasted coffee bitterness.

Rich chocolate and cocoa nib malt up front. Caramel and molasses sweetness swell, with notes of figs, dates, and raisins. Roasted coffee tempers the big maltiness a little. Mocha finish, with lingering dark fruits. Full-bodied, with a super creamy, soft, smooth feel. Amazing. Happy 24th!

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amazing beer! Pulled it out of the cellar to celebrate my brand new baby daughter. Appearance is rather pedestrian. The aromas are outstanding. Figs, Prunes, Raisins, Plums -- all dark fruits. Really nice vanilla notes, too. Taste is more of the same with nice roasty flavors and a tobacco aftertaste that really works here. Super smooth and creamy -- full body -- the mouthfeel is one of the best features of this brew. The main criticism is that it's boozy. It is slightly hot, but the complex flavors balance out the booze flawlessly. It's not an issue -- the booze in RuinTen and W00t Stout are much more noticeable. Huge fan of this beer. Cheers to anybody that has a bottle left.

Black Butte XXIV from Deschutes Brewery