Black Butte XXIV - Deschutes Brewery

Black Butte XXIVBlack Butte XXIV

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  11.00% ABV

Brewed with dark chocolate nibs, Daglet dates and Mission figs.

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-25-2012)

Athabaska, Oct 07, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -58%

I get it. This is brewed to be aged. I have a few other labels doing just that. Unfortunately, for me, this one is way over the top. I have been up for a couple of hours now with a seriously sour stomach. If it is best after 7/2013, I am not sure it should have been released for consumption before then. Marketing and hype be damned -- I'll not be putting any of this away for the future.

Obliquity, Nov 11, 2012

Yorr, Oct 07, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -34.7%

On tap poured into a snifter. Dark brown bordering on pitch black, with a creamy milk chocolate brown head. Sheets of carbonation visible at the edge of the glass.

Nose is dark fruit, figs and sweeter dates, bittersweet chocolate and roasted malt.

Taking a sip, somewhat disappointed with how heavy the roasted malt flavor is on this. Completely overwhelms the initial sweet dark fruits and leaves a lingering ashy almost charcoal like flavor. Tried warming up the beer (it was served almost ice cold) but it didn't improve while sitting on my tongue.

Medium full body, creamy due to a nice carbonation. I enjoyed the aroma, but the taste was disappointing.

nataku00, Aug 24, 2012

JustinQ, Oct 04, 2012

chippo33, Mar 13, 2013

Hugonaut13, Mar 12, 2013

Chris_Cali_2o9, Nov 20, 2012

Arsenal0328, Jul 28, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -27%

Deschutes. The true Beer of Kings. My cellar would be a lot lighter - a ton lighter - if I didn't have so many damn Deschutes bombers weighing down the shelves. Latest in a storied line, 22 oz. waxed bottle split with my wife.

Pour is glossy black. A bit heady. Nose is less full frontal than expected. Roasty, sweet malt, & a different sweetness that I'm going attribute to the figs. But bad, but I'm not drooling (well, at least in anticipation).

Black Butte XXIV is a fig-bomb - words I never thought I'd type or say or think. There's so much fig I'm pretty sure I'm going to have them growing in my intestines within a week. Black fruit. Wickedly sweet; hard on the border of too much sweetness, even for me. Roast manages to punch through, barely. Chocolate, thick enough to be molasses. The mouthfeel is the high. Splitting the bomber is enough to make me want to check my glucose level. Yeesh.

Disappointed. This is pretty decent, but it's a far cry from the glory of past Black Buttes. Going to hold on to the other bottles I bought & hope it improves with age, but with the sweetness, I'm not optimistic.

maximum12, Sep 22, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -26.6%

22oz bottle $12. I thought this went up another dollar but apparently I paid $13 for the BBXXIII. Black Butte XX was $9 or $10 and that was fair, this is a rip off. I thought last year's was a little more interesting than this one. I don;t think they're putting coffee in this anymore because I can't taste any. The figs give a weird flavor, sort of sweet but odd followed by a strong porter. I really wish this was more viscous and more chocolate. Its sort of thin and doesn't really impress. Hopefully I'm smart enough to not but this next year, I'd rather spend an extra buck or two and get something from Firestone Walker that isn't just partially barrel aged.

ArrogantB, Aug 25, 2012

spycow, Oct 11, 2014

brydeen, Aug 26, 2012

dfhhead25, Aug 26, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -23.1%

Dark brown, garnet highlights; fast disappearing "soda" head. Exotic sweetness, plenty of licorice in the aroma. While the label mentions dates and figs, I don't get any. Maybe some dates but no figs. This is also surprising because date/fig notes are pretty common in beers even without actual additions.

Anyway, moving on. Taste has a good kick of roast and a very prominent dark chocolate note and aftertaste. I like how this is sweet on the palate but clean in the finish. But whatever they put in it, it seems to be muddled. Also, I don't know if any part of this beer went in any barrels but this sure doesn't taste like that to me.

Mouthfeel is inoffensive. Overall I am divided about this beer. What I CAN say though is that it is not worth its price (in bottled format).

3.5, 3, 3.5, 3.5, 3

tewaris, Dec 27, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -21.9%

The pour is black in color with a big tan head. The nose starts off with a heavy roasted malt component, a touch of ash, and some coffee and chocolate. There is a fair amount of anise, mild dates, and a pretty heavy dose of figs. The flavor is quite heavy on the anise, dates, and figs, as well as the strong roasted malt. Some acrid coffee and roast, a touch of chocolate, light bourbon and alcohol as well. This is probably my least favorite of the series thus far.

womencantsail, Aug 13, 2012