1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Butte XXIV - Deschutes Brewery

Black Butte XXIVBlack Butte XXIV

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  11.00% ABV

Brewed with dark chocolate nibs, Daglet dates and Mission figs.

(Beer added by: johnmichaelsen on 07-25-2012)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 709 | Reviews: 184 | Show All Ratings:
Obliquity

Washington

1.8/5  rDev -57.9%

I get it. This is brewed to be aged. I have a few other labels doing just that. Unfortunately, for me, this one is way over the top. I have been up for a couple of hours now with a seriously sour stomach. If it is best after 7/2013, I am not sure it should have been released for consumption before then. Marketing and hype be damned -- I'll not be putting any of this away for the future.

11-11-2012 10:02:23 | More by Obliquity
nataku00

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%

On tap poured into a snifter. Dark brown bordering on pitch black, with a creamy milk chocolate brown head. Sheets of carbonation visible at the edge of the glass.

Nose is dark fruit, figs and sweeter dates, bittersweet chocolate and roasted malt.

Taking a sip, somewhat disappointed with how heavy the roasted malt flavor is on this. Completely overwhelms the initial sweet dark fruits and leaves a lingering ashy almost charcoal like flavor. Tried warming up the beer (it was served almost ice cold) but it didn't improve while sitting on my tongue.

Medium full body, creamy due to a nice carbonation. I enjoyed the aroma, but the taste was disappointing.

08-24-2012 18:11:07 | More by nataku00
maximum12

3.13/5  rDev -26.9%

Deschutes. The true Beer of Kings. My cellar would be a lot lighter - a ton lighter - if I didn't have so many damn Deschutes bombers weighing down the shelves. Latest in a storied line, 22 oz. waxed bottle split with my wife.

Pour is glossy black. A bit heady. Nose is less full frontal than expected. Roasty, sweet malt, & a different sweetness that I'm going attribute to the figs. But bad, but I'm not drooling (well, at least in anticipation).

Black Butte XXIV is a fig-bomb - words I never thought I'd type or say or think. There's so much fig I'm pretty sure I'm going to have them growing in my intestines within a week. Black fruit. Wickedly sweet; hard on the border of too much sweetness, even for me. Roast manages to punch through, barely. Chocolate, thick enough to be molasses. The mouthfeel is the high. Splitting the bomber is enough to make me want to check my glucose level. Yeesh.

Disappointed. This is pretty decent, but it's a far cry from the glory of past Black Buttes. Going to hold on to the other bottles I bought & hope it improves with age, but with the sweetness, I'm not optimistic.

09-22-2012 04:07:09 | More by maximum12
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -26.4%

22oz bottle $12. I thought this went up another dollar but apparently I paid $13 for the BBXXIII. Black Butte XX was $9 or $10 and that was fair, this is a rip off. I thought last year's was a little more interesting than this one. I don;t think they're putting coffee in this anymore because I can't taste any. The figs give a weird flavor, sort of sweet but odd followed by a strong porter. I really wish this was more viscous and more chocolate. Its sort of thin and doesn't really impress. Hopefully I'm smart enough to not but this next year, I'd rather spend an extra buck or two and get something from Firestone Walker that isn't just partially barrel aged.

08-25-2012 02:13:51 | More by ArrogantB
tewaris

3.3/5  rDev -22.9%

Dark brown, garnet highlights; fast disappearing "soda" head. Exotic sweetness, plenty of licorice in the aroma. While the label mentions dates and figs, I don't get any. Maybe some dates but no figs. This is also surprising because date/fig notes are pretty common in beers even without actual additions.

Anyway, moving on. Taste has a good kick of roast and a very prominent dark chocolate note and aftertaste. I like how this is sweet on the palate but clean in the finish. But whatever they put in it, it seems to be muddled. Also, I don't know if any part of this beer went in any barrels but this sure doesn't taste like that to me.

Mouthfeel is inoffensive. Overall I am divided about this beer. What I CAN say though is that it is not worth its price (in bottled format).

3.5, 3, 3.5, 3.5, 3

12-27-2012 11:25:53 | More by tewaris
womencantsail

3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

The pour is black in color with a big tan head. The nose starts off with a heavy roasted malt component, a touch of ash, and some coffee and chocolate. There is a fair amount of anise, mild dates, and a pretty heavy dose of figs. The flavor is quite heavy on the anise, dates, and figs, as well as the strong roasted malt. Some acrid coffee and roast, a touch of chocolate, light bourbon and alcohol as well. This is probably my least favorite of the series thus far.

08-13-2012 04:24:06 | More by womencantsail
MADhombrewer

Oregon

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Black with a dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Leaving a ring around the edge and some lacing in the glass. 4/5

Smell- Odd aroma. Wood, dark fruits, cherries (?) 3/5

Taste- Alcohol, wood. The aroma is in the taste but not as prominent. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- Thinner than I expected but still good for a porter. 3.5/5

Overall- Not as good as I was expecting. I was very intrigued with the figs and dates but it doesn't seem as they added much to the final product. 3.5/5

02-06-2013 16:37:40 | More by MADhombrewer
Treebs

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

22 oz. bottle served in a Southern Tier tulip.

A: Pours a blackish color with brown highlights. A light khaki head. Recedes to a thin cap. Some splotchy lace is left down the glass.

S: Oaky with some light roasty malts. C hocolate withe some figs and dark fruit flavors. Light boozy notes.

T: Even more oaky than the nose suggests. Dark chocolate with a some roasted malts and brown sugar sweetness. Raisins and figs. Boozy sweetness on the backend, but not too hot.

M: Medium bodied with a medium carbonation level. Sweet and roasty finish.

O: This was too oaky at this point. Hopefully some time will blend the beer together a little better.

03-09-2013 14:07:35 | More by Treebs
tectactoe

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to tokenjobberoffense (reddit) for this one, the first of the Deschutes BB Anniversary beers I'll have had. Elegant ruby and deep, deep brown on the pour, not quite absent of enough color to be called black. A slightly darker-than-khaki head forms and leaves some mild lacing along the sides of the glass; decent retention for an 11% ABV porter.

The first sniff brings forth a deep-ish, booze-laden, roasted malt structure that is slightly unlike any other that I've come across. Certainly lots of heavy, dark fruits crowding all sides; figs, dates, bruised prunes - hefty doses of sweetness and booziness clash constantly and battle for king of the hill. I can definitely say that it's a little more heavy on the alcohol than I was expecting. There's a mild cocoa aroma hidden underneath the roast and the booze, but most of the sweetness still seems to be coming in the form of fruits.

Black Butte XXIV is just a bit booze and raisin-heavy on the palate. Don't get me wrong, I like booze and I like raisins, but after the first few sips, this beer seems to be a little overpowering and one-track minded to say the least. Definitely more sweet and more boozy than I would have guessed, although I can't say for sure where my initial opinions had come from.

There isn't much roast to this at all, save for the faint hint of roasted malt that occasionally peaks through the vapid sea of alcohol and sweetness. Light soy in the aftertaste, just a touch, as the beer warms up. Cocoa starts to finally come through as well. The aftertaste is still riding the heavy booze wave, and actually finishes quite dry. Medium-heavy body, lightly creamy and smooth.

I definitely suggest letting this warm up before consumption. More flavors seemed to come out as it approached warmer temps; right out of the gate, it was almost nothing but boozy, sweet raisins. Even once it opened up a bit, it was still fairly underwhelming given my relatively high expectations. Still not a bad beer, but it doesn't fulfill the large shoes that some people have granted it.

03-25-2013 16:27:41 | More by tectactoe
Papabear55

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 10 oz snifter

A:Dark black with a little light around the edges.

S:Maybe a bit of chocolate but mostly to me it smells of dark fruits.

T:Sweet throughout and much more coffee/chocolate notes than in the nose.

M:Slick residue leftover after a few sips. Has a medium body but maybe I was thinking it would be thicker due to its color and type.

O:Reminded me of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee but this beer was executed much better. If I had to put this beer in a category I would label it an Imperial Milk Stout even if it doesn't have lactose sugars in it. This was a good beer but felt like it was missing something I couldn't quite figure out while drinking it.

10-12-2012 02:21:58 | More by Papabear55
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle: Poured a deep black color stout with a medium dark brown foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma consists of black chocolate notes with some light liquor notes with some dried fruits notes as well. Taste is also a mix between some dark black chocolate notes with some dried fruits notes and some light liquor notes. Body is about average with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very nice drink though a bit too much of the dried fruits notes.

05-27-2013 01:40:41 | More by Phyl21ca
GregSVT

3.68/5  rDev -14%

22oz waxed bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a dark brown, black in glass, with a big darker tan head that fades to a big ring and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is actually pretty good on this one. Lots of dark cherries, dates, raisins and other dark fruits along with dark chocolate and touch of vanilla.

T: The taste is not as impressive but still decent. At first all I can taste is bittering hops and some dark fruits. As it warms you get a bit of chocolate, anise, and citrus as well. I wasn't expecting the hops at all and it kind of ruined the rest of the flavors.

M: The feel is really creamy and on the thicker side of medium bodied.

O: After smelling it I was excited to drink this but the flavors were too hoppy. I will be putting the rest of my bottles in deep sleep and hopefully the hops fade and let the other flavors come forward.

On another note...is this aged in barrels? Past versions have said so and I see nothing on this bottle about barrel aging. Seems power of persuasion in most other reviews.

08-21-2012 04:58:45 | More by GregSVT
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip. Pours the color of cola with a loose head that dissipates towards the shoulders. Nose expresses roast, medicinal notes (tussin), cocoa nibs and tobacco. Taste reveals chalky chocolate, dark fruits, roast and more of the medicinal character expressed in the nose. Mouthfeel is medium-light in body with an even carbonation. Overall, an interesting flavor profile, but this beer doesn't really come together for me.

01-20-2014 17:22:47 | More by Jwale73
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Thanks Derek! Poured into a tulip. There isn't much of a head; there are a few medium tan bubbles. The body is pitch black.

There is a lot of chocolate in the aroma. Notes of vanilla are aided by the malt sweetness.

The taste has a lot of roasted barley character in the finish that hint at some coffee flavor. The start of the beer is more fruity and hints at some port-like characteristics. The finish is very bitter and lasts a while. The flavor is strong, and intense.

This is full bodied with sharp carbonation.

This tastes good, but the flavors are a bit harsh in some points. Maybe it is best to listen to that best after date.

10-20-2012 04:08:39 | More by andrewinski1
mctizzz

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Big light brown head quickly dissipates into the black liquid from which it came.

S: Mostly molasses. Healthy barrel with caramel, chocolate, raisins, and slight booze.

T: Really sweet caramel with coco notes. Background is booze and vanilla.

M: Medium/light body, I typically prefer a bigger body but with how sweet this is if it was any bigger it would take on the basic properties of a syrup.

O: I was looking forward to this and even waited till after the recommended date on the bottle, but this is too sweet for me, maybe fresher the roasted qualities would shine through more, hope abyss is better!

07-26-2013 22:47:12 | More by mctizzz
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Got the last pour of the first keg tapped. At muddy waters.

Color is jet black with a creamy tan head. Lots of lace and good retention.

A lot of creamy chocolate and cocoa nibs. The dates and figs show. Definitely had a licorice and molasses flavor. A light roast and some coffee flavor. A little oak. Was this bourbon aged. Some vanilla shows.

Mouthfeel: creamy and smooth. Full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation.

Overall, decent but nothing crazy. I would have liked to see more barrel flavors.

07-29-2012 01:09:18 | More by mothman
Halcyondays

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

On-tap at Beachwood I,

A: Pours black with a medium light tan head, good retention and lacing.

S: Gorgeous vanilla, black fruit and molasses.

T: Has a heavy vanilla shot initially, dark fruit, lots of fig. Some significant ethanol making the beer a bit hot. Full-flavoured, interesting, reminded me a lot of a young Firestone 14 or 15.

M: Full-bodied, rich, creamy, has that slug of ethanol that I'm hoping will dissapate with time.

O: This is a good beer, but it's the worst young of the Black Butte XX et al. collection. The nose is great, but the ethanol is heavy and needs to die down. Could be real good in a couple years.

09-01-2012 03:23:05 | More by Halcyondays
mdaschaf

Washington

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at Deschutes. Review from notes.

A: BB24 was black with a one finger tan head on top. Decent retention, slowly reducing to thin cap on top. Streaky lacing formed down the sides.

S: Lots of roast mixed with some milk chocolate, brown sugar, and some dark fruit, mostly raisin on the aroma.

T: Not as exciting as I was hoping for. Some roasted malt, but overly sweet with chocolate and a little bit of dark fruit, but really not as much as I was expecting.

M: Medium-full bodied with low to medium carbonation.

O: Easily my least favorite of the series thus-far, but then again, had the others with some age on them and out of the bottle. Would be interested to try it again in a year or so.

02-10-2013 05:16:33 | More by mdaschaf
Bendurgin

Maine

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Shared by Andy. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a dark brown with no head.

The aroma has a lot of dark fruit like figs and plumbs with some hints of cocoa in the background. Mostly fruity though. Boozy dark bitter chocolate on the pallet with hints of coffee. A bit toned down on the fruit on the pallet but it lingers in the background.

The body is full and silky with soft carbonation. Overall this one is pretty tasty. Pretty unique.

10-20-2012 04:36:12 | More by Bendurgin
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served from a bomber into a Smutty big beer tulip. Cellar temps.

Appearance- Pitch black with big two finger off-white head that lasted long and left great lacing.

Smell- Sweet porter aromas, definantly date and figs (those dried fruits are very prominant), heavy malt backbone, some light vanilla and mild chocolate. No real hop presence here.

Taste- Dark cocoa, with a resounding bitterness, dark stone fruits and dried fruits, no real alcohol presence here, heavy chocolate malts and no hops. I flip flop back and forth with whether I like it or not. But I think it's because of the mouthfeel...

Mouthfeel- Wayyy too carbonated. Everyones reviews say that its creamy and smooth. Mine is not. If it was, I'd probably like this beer more. Sharp carbonation that prickles the tongue.

Overall- If this were flat, it would be better than it is now. Too much carbonation for such a strong porter.

03-12-2014 19:13:06 | More by Seanniek91
FosterJM

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

1722nd Review on BA
Bottle to Woodshop Snifter
22oz

Shared at Herbies Birthday

App- This was much darker than I wouldve thought for a porter. A more inky black color with a huge dense center and no color loss on the edges. The head was a major let down for me. The head was almost no where to be found except for a small 1/8" bubble ring around the edges. No cling or lace.

Smell- The beer gets better with the nose. A bit more chocolate and malt comes out with the addition of the earthy figs. It was slightly dry with a bit of grains behind it, but didnt tie everything together on the aroma.

Taste- The flavors of this one were better than the 1st two parts of the beer. It had more smooth and rich malts with a good amount of chocolate and roast flavors. Slightly bitter and earthy due to the use of the figs. A good amount of flavors combined to be better than the parts.

Mouth- A semi-medium body with a medium creamy carbonation. A bit more smoothness that I was thinking due to the flavors and the nose but still good none the less. A lot of fig remained on the finish for me.

Drink- I will rate this as a 4. Solid but not what I was hoping when I shelled out the $$ for this one. I might have to track another bottle down to sit on to see if it comes together like the others I have had.

02-11-2013 01:15:43 | More by FosterJM
AgentMunky

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice. Best after 23 July 2013. ABV 11%.

A: Frothy, tannish head. Opaque except for in direct backlighting where ruby glints appear.

S: Sweet and strong, almost cloyingly sweet. Boozy fruit is probably the figs and dates mentioned on the label.

T: Interesting... Blackberry syrup. Candycane? (and concomitant peppermint). Dates. Alcohol. Tart fruit; overripe peaches. Fermented grapes. The finish has some spicy yeast and

M: Thin and astringent.

O: A phenomenal porter, if it deserves to be categorized as such, that is eminently worthwhile, if undrinkably strong and complex. Recommended.

11-21-2012 07:37:45 | More by AgentMunky
Zorro

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Annoying wax sealed bomber, to slick to get a bottle opener on the cap. A few stabbings later I'm able to get to the actual cap.

Clear brown colored beer with a momentary small brown head.

Smells sweet with a fruity chocolate aroma. Scents of musty sugar, fig and prune with a fainter vanilla scent. Faint whiskey scent but can't decide if it is bourbon barrel or just oak. Some spice mainly cinnamon and ginger.

Starts out mildly sweet with a bit of cocoa powder after taste. A bit boozy and thick with a strong chocolate taste. Alcohol warms the stomach. I might should have eaten dinner first but I wanted my taste buds absolutely fresh for this tasting and review.. Fig and prune taste with some charred malt taste. Vanilla and oak in the taste but no whiskey or caramel.

Mouthfeel is decidedly thick as hell.

Overall a damn big beer that you should share with friends.

10-07-2012 01:25:05 | More by Zorro
kojevergas

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Best after 07/23/13. 11.00%. Brown glass bottle with waxed-over pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery and style. I quite like the original Black Butte Porter. And I recall enjoyed last year's Black Butte XXIII.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm considerably over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a gorgeous three finger rich khaki-tan head of beautiful smooth cream, great thickness, and fantastic retention for the high ABV. The head just sits there in its frothy delight, not reducing hardly at all. Heavy mocha cream. Wow. Colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Near perfect for a porter.

Sm: Luxurious date and fig notes. The dark fruit is wonderful here. Roast. Dark malts. Chocolate malts. Cream. Caramel. A delightfully subtle aroma. Some raisin and yeasty notes. Even biscuit malt and a hint of spice. Very evocative and intriguing. A light aroma.

T: Smooth cream on the open gives way to a marvelous caramalt body with touches of dark fruit including luscious fig and dates. Biscuit malt, chocolate malt, and other dark malts all make an appearance. Little to no roast, unfortunately. A raisiney chocolatey climax rewards the palate, followed by a smooth dark fruit finish. Burnt bread emerges as an undertone. I definitely get the chocolate nibs, and they're very well used here. What I don't get all is any sort of coffee or roast. It certainly doesn't lack body. The notes work well together, subtly complementing each other to build an impressive balance. That's tasty. I quite like it. Hardly any alcohol comes through. The aftertaste leaves you with sweet malts, creamy chocolate, and dark fruit. A lovely build for a porter. Bravo, deschutes. It does feel a bit too sweet at times, but I imagine this would mellow out with age.

Mf: Velvety. Delightfully creamy and smooth. Good thickness, supporting the complex subtle flavours adequately. Ideal carbonation. Good presence on the palate. It's a bit viscous and syrupy just before the climax, which is the one problem I have with the beer as a whole.

Dr: Another great offering from Deschutes. I'm glad I bought two. As far as Porters go, this is one of the best offerings out there. I'd love to try this on nitro-draught. Very drinkable. Hides its ABV very well. This one could be dangerous in the wrong hands. Best enjoyed with a good book, sipping fairly slowly.

A fantastic candidate for aging. I'll be aging me second bottle.

Would pair well with rich chocolate, plums, dates, and figs.

B+

10-29-2012 02:44:10 | More by kojevergas
yamar68

Poured from bottle to tulip:

Appears dark copper as it pours but as it sits in the glass it's a near pitch black. A relatively dense light brown head retains and laces well.

Tons of black malts touch the nose... dark, sweet syrupy fruits, caramel, molasses, mild licorice, brown sugar. This would get pretty massive with some time in a barrel. A touch of booze.

The combination of heat, licorice, molasses and caramel translates to Jagermeister in a tasty kind of way. I can certainly see how this could mellow and just become more approachable all around with a bit of time.

That said, delicious as it is.

08-25-2012 23:33:29 | More by yamar68