Black Butte XXIV - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 07-25-2012

Brewed with dark chocolate nibs, Daglet dates and Mission figs.
3.16/5  rDev -26.3%

22oz bottle $12. I thought this went up another dollar but apparently I paid $13 for the BBXXIII. Black Butte XX was $9 or $10 and that was fair, this is a rip off. I thought last year's was a little more interesting than this one. I don;t think they're putting coffee in this anymore because I can't taste any. The figs give a weird flavor, sort of sweet but odd followed by a strong porter. I really wish this was more viscous and more chocolate. Its sort of thin and doesn't really impress. Hopefully I'm smart enough to not but this next year, I'd rather spend an extra buck or two and get something from Firestone Walker that isn't just partially barrel aged.

3.28/5  rDev -23.5%

Dark brown, garnet highlights; fast disappearing "soda" head. Exotic sweetness, plenty of licorice in the aroma. While the label mentions dates and figs, I don't get any. Maybe some dates but no figs. This is also surprising because date/fig notes are pretty common in beers even without actual additions.

Anyway, moving on. Taste has a good kick of roast and a very prominent dark chocolate note and aftertaste. I like how this is sweet on the palate but clean in the finish. But whatever they put in it, it seems to be muddled. Also, I don't know if any part of this beer went in any barrels but this sure doesn't taste like that to me.

Mouthfeel is inoffensive. Overall I am divided about this beer. What I CAN say though is that it is not worth its price (in bottled format).

3.5, 3, 3.5, 3.5, 3

3.38/5  rDev -21.2%

The pour is black in color with a big tan head. The nose starts off with a heavy roasted malt component, a touch of ash, and some coffee and chocolate. There is a fair amount of anise, mild dates, and a pretty heavy dose of figs. The flavor is quite heavy on the anise, dates, and figs, as well as the strong roasted malt. Some acrid coffee and roast, a touch of chocolate, light bourbon and alcohol as well. This is probably my least favorite of the series thus far.

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Black with a dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Leaving a ring around the edge and some lacing in the glass. 4/5

Smell- Odd aroma. Wood, dark fruits, cherries (?) 3/5

Taste- Alcohol, wood. The aroma is in the taste but not as prominent. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- Thinner than I expected but still good for a porter. 3.5/5

Overall- Not as good as I was expecting. I was very intrigued with the figs and dates but it doesn't seem as they added much to the final product. 3.5/5

3.58/5  rDev -16.6%

22 oz. bottle served in a Southern Tier tulip.

A: Pours a blackish color with brown highlights. A light khaki head. Recedes to a thin cap. Some splotchy lace is left down the glass.

S: Oaky with some light roasty malts. C hocolate withe some figs and dark fruit flavors. Light boozy notes.

T: Even more oaky than the nose suggests. Dark chocolate with a some roasted malts and brown sugar sweetness. Raisins and figs. Boozy sweetness on the backend, but not too hot.

M: Medium bodied with a medium carbonation level. Sweet and roasty finish.

O: This was too oaky at this point. Hopefully some time will blend the beer together a little better.

3.58/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 10 oz snifter

A:Dark black with a little light around the edges.

S:Maybe a bit of chocolate but mostly to me it smells of dark fruits.

T:Sweet throughout and much more coffee/chocolate notes than in the nose.

M:Slick residue leftover after a few sips. Has a medium body but maybe I was thinking it would be thicker due to its color and type.

O:Reminded me of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee but this beer was executed much better. If I had to put this beer in a category I would label it an Imperial Milk Stout even if it doesn't have lactose sugars in it. This was a good beer but felt like it was missing something I couldn't quite figure out while drinking it.

3.61/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to tokenjobberoffense (reddit) for this one, the first of the Deschutes BB Anniversary beers I'll have had. Elegant ruby and deep, deep brown on the pour, not quite absent of enough color to be called black. A slightly darker-than-khaki head forms and leaves some mild lacing along the sides of the glass; decent retention for an 11% ABV porter.

The first sniff brings forth a deep-ish, booze-laden, roasted malt structure that is slightly unlike any other that I've come across. Certainly lots of heavy, dark fruits crowding all sides; figs, dates, bruised prunes - hefty doses of sweetness and booziness clash constantly and battle for king of the hill. I can definitely say that it's a little more heavy on the alcohol than I was expecting. There's a mild cocoa aroma hidden underneath the roast and the booze, but most of the sweetness still seems to be coming in the form of fruits.

Black Butte XXIV is just a bit booze and raisin-heavy on the palate. Don't get me wrong, I like booze and I like raisins, but after the first few sips, this beer seems to be a little overpowering and one-track minded to say the least. Definitely more sweet and more boozy than I would have guessed, although I can't say for sure where my initial opinions had come from.

There isn't much roast to this at all, save for the faint hint of roasted malt that occasionally peaks through the vapid sea of alcohol and sweetness. Light soy in the aftertaste, just a touch, as the beer warms up. Cocoa starts to finally come through as well. The aftertaste is still riding the heavy booze wave, and actually finishes quite dry. Medium-heavy body, lightly creamy and smooth.

I definitely suggest letting this warm up before consumption. More flavors seemed to come out as it approached warmer temps; right out of the gate, it was almost nothing but boozy, sweet raisins. Even once it opened up a bit, it was still fairly underwhelming given my relatively high expectations. Still not a bad beer, but it doesn't fulfill the large shoes that some people have granted it.

3.67/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle: Poured a deep black color stout with a medium dark brown foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma consists of black chocolate notes with some light liquor notes with some dried fruits notes as well. Taste is also a mix between some dark black chocolate notes with some dried fruits notes and some light liquor notes. Body is about average with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very nice drink though a bit too much of the dried fruits notes.

Black Butte XXIV from Deschutes Brewery