Deschutes River Ale - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 02-27-2013

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Deschutes River Ale Alström Bros

2.49/5  rDev -33.6%

12 oz bottle into 0.3 L stange. best before 08/28/2013.

A: I wouldn't exactly call this blonde, more of a light copper hue. head is bright white. retention and lacing are minimal.

S: a bit of toffee. not getting any hop presence what-so-ever. mild diacetyl in there too.

T: a lot of caramel malt, a little bit of lemon zest. and definitely a whole lot of diacetyl on the back-end.

M: carb is moderate. on a light/medium body.

D: oh boy I really wanted this to be something besides this. I was hoping for a light hop presence and a highly drinkable summer brew. instread this is totally lacking in hop presence and is beat up with diacetyl.

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

2.62/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I must've gotten a bad pint of this. Mine was served at the local Famous Dave's BBQ place, and was nothing like everybody is saying it is. I found it flavorless, thin, no mouthfeel, and under carbonated.

I will have to try this from the bottle, I know Deschutes wouldn't make a product this poor. However, I will adjust my review when that time comes, but not before.

I guess it had an excellent head and lacing. That's all the good I get from it.

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

2.76/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 2" off white fluffy head which leaves some light lacing behind. Color is a hazy rich gold with abundant streaming carbonation.

Aroma: Pine and citrus hops are quite present with a nice doughy malt behind them.

Mouthfeel: light and fluffy with a somewhat wet finish.

Flavor: lemon peel, some pine and grapefruit, an odd soapy flavor, in the background is some malty backbone of dinner rolls, with a hint of cinnamon and caramel.

Overall: I am hoping this beer will grow on me. I generally enjoy golden and blond ales, but this seems a little strange to me thus far. It is not bad, neither is it great. I was expecting more as I have always been pleased with Deschutes products. The beer just seems to lack a proper balance and is more hop forward while lacking in the sweetness I am accustomed to in this style.

2.86/5  rDev -23.7%

I'm not a fan of the style, so it is difficult to provide a fair review.

No complaints about the look. Nice, slightly hazy gold color, not much of a head, some lacing (for those who care about lacing).

The smell is... mild. Faint hops. No unpleasant.

Taste is also mild, like the smell. Faint piney hops - nothing floral that I can detect. It's not bad, just not that memorable.

The feel is the worst attribute - to my taste buds. Watery. Mildly carbonated.

I guess this is what people would call a "session beer." It would take many people 3 or 4 of these to get a "buzz." Probably better consumed outside on a hot summer's day. The beer just doesn't have enough "substance" for me.

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

2.91/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Best by 13JUN13

Golden, clear, nice solid creamy foam. Smells floral, some grain, hint of hay. Taste is a little bitter, a little corn, a bit of herbal hops. Light bodied with lower carb and a semi dry finish. Meh, needs a little more oomph if you ask me.

Deschutes River Ale from Deschutes Brewery