Josef Bierbitzch Golden Pilsner - Academy of Fine Beers

Josef Bierbitzch Golden PilsnerJosef Bierbitzch Golden Pilsner

Academy of Fine Beers visit their website

German Pilsener |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by surfmeister:
3.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Extremely average...
good looking, clear golden hue with a stable ample head, the taste and mouthfeel profile however was quite watery, much like your average american macro, which I enjoy on hot summer day, but you shouldn't pay more for it, all in all I would deem this a "dumb blonde", good looking with little substance.

3.53/5  rDev +23.9%

Pours crystal clear pisswater yellow with a small white foam head that is also reminiscent. Head melts quickly to thin lace.
Aroma is definite lager malt with a light hop tail.
Taste is more than a macro, but still sort of familiar.
Thin lager tasting malts that melt quickly to light clean hops.
Mouthfeel is creamy for this style
Aftertaste remains clean and drying.
A different sort of Pils but really nice.

2.83/5  rDev -0.7%

The name and label graphic, three stern looking Bismarckian German men staring purposely beyond you, are lame. Still it was a cheap single and there aren’t enough American pilsners out there so I tried it. I was disappointed. Virtually no head, minimally carbonated, extremely pale yellow; needles to say, this was not a good first impression. The aroma is remarkably robust considering what follows. Smells of hearty grain drenched in honey. The flavor is very thin, some honey, lemon, and dough but mostly water. Mouthful is rather soft and a touch oily but compromised by too little carbonation. Drinkabilty is good, though this attribute is not achieved in the best way.

2.53/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Clear very deeply golden brew with a 1/2 finger head of fizzy foam that recedes to a collar in a few minutes.

S - Clean and sweet malts and the faintest hint of hop twinge.

T - Hints of pear and citrus. Bright and sunny flavor with a sweet caramel taste reminecent of Bit-O-Honey candy.

M - Light and airy at first, then the sweetness started to get to me. Nice carbonation.

D - Goes down easy. Tasty and novel, but not very interesting.

Would be a great gag gift for someone who might be intimidated by anything too flavorful. A pretty decent brew that was better than I thought it was gonna be.

Some slight chill haze dulls the appearance of this otherwise bright, golden lager. It's flimsy head of white froth receeds fairly normally given the style, and it leaves only tiny spots of lacing about the glass. The nose displays a distinctly grainy character as if a bit of Munich malt and carapils were used in the grain bill, but very little hops emerge. It's an interesting change of pace, but not really in keeping with the pilsner style. The body is medium and its fine-bubbled, moderate carbonation softly strokes the palate before it fades smoothly away. It hints at creaminess, but never quite makes it there. Again, interesting, but quite different from the crispness associated with a true pilsner style beer. The graininess that was so notable in the aroma returns in the malt. It's lightly husky, and softly toasty with a delicate pillow of sweetness to balance its harshness. Only a sliver of hop flavor comes through, and what bitterness is present does little to balance the maltiness upfront, although it does dry out the finish. An interesting and fairly enjoyable lager with a twist... kind of a helles-Oktoberfest hybrid. It's worth trying just to see what it's like; and it would make an excellent cross-over beer for persons who are just getting interested in more flavorful beers than the American macros produce.

3.38/5  rDev +18.6%

Pale golden-hay in hue, minimal animation lazily danced through the clear liquid. The head was white in color, at the apex it was about a finger in height. Then it quickly faded to a fizzy cap. Subsequent lacing was spotty and unorganized. On the whole, it had a typical Pilsner appearance. The nose is soft; the main aroma is a lemony-hay smell with some herbal qualities. There is even some soft maltiness behind the hops. The aroma lacks potency but it says enough that this is a Pilsner and not some crummy Adjunct Lager. So far, it’s off to a good start in that regard. The bouquet isn’t really inviting but it isn’t repulsive either. Fair. The palate isn’t very flavorful but it fits what the nose suggested. The malt is secondary and weak, faintly biscuity with a trace of toasty grain. The hops do offer some flavor, mainly lemon with a grassy underbelly. At the finish the hops kick in a little bitterness, nice. Reasonably crisp too. While it is still just a typical Pilsner, it is decent. There is nothing great about it but noting bad either. Clean. I wouldn’t call the palate boring but it is close. Fair. Medium in body, fairly sturdy, the carbonation is on the low side of moderate but it is workable. Overall the mouthfeel is decent. I’ll admit it… this beer is drinkable. I like the fact the abv is 4.5%. I could drink a couple of these in a pinch. I’ll also admit I put off trying this beer for a long time, solely based on its name and description. I only bought this bottle because it was on-sale at the Crescent Moon in Omaha for little over a $1. It was better than expected; still it is only above average. Fair.

3.8/5  rDev +33.3%

Going back through my notes for this one. Billed as an 'Icelandic Golden Pilsner', but from a Czech recipe. Golden yellow, good white head, yeasty aroma. Crisp, clean taste with a decent hop bite. High carbonation. Unusual, very bitter finish (totally contrary to what their website says!). Quite high quality, not bad.

3.2/5  rDev +12.3%

This brew poured a white head with fine-small bubbles. There was no carbonation observed with this beer. It appeared to have a fruity and sweet aroma to it. The flavor was smooth and there was no bitterness noted. It had a light body. It had a good finish despite the fact that there was not much character to this particular brew.

1.58/5  rDev -44.6%

According to their website, they have won several awards for this Pilsner. The judges must have been highly intoxicated.

Poured straight into a pint glass and still got less than 1/8 inch of head which lasted about 20 seconds. Even my wife asked what was wrong with the beer.

The taste reminded me of Bud Light with a bit more sourness, and the mouthfeel was...well, nasty at best. No real aroma and a very, very light straw coloring.

I'm not usually this negaitve, but this is one of the worst brews I've ever had and would not recommend it to anyone.

2.08/5  rDev -27%

There are some beers that are worth a try, if for no other reason than the humor of the style, label or name. A friend e-mailed me a commercial promoting this beer, where a female bartender smilingly serves beers in response to people calling out "Hey, can I get another Bierbitzch?" Then a hapless (and apparently clueless) patron gets decked for saying "Uh, can I get a martini . . . bitch?"
I knew I had to have a six of this on a recent trip for the humor, and fellow BA xlperro was kind enough to hook me up.

On to the beer, which, other than the humor factor, falls pretty flat. Poured your basic pilsener golden. A quick soda-water head fizzed away. I can imagine the brewer thinking to himself - "water, malt, yeast. Hmmm, I know I must be leaving something out." Yup, if there were any hops in this beer, I couldn't taste them. The overall flavor profile was some grainy malt, a touch of sweetness, and that was about it. Doesn't even make the lawnmower lineup.

3.2/5  rDev +12.3%

The beer after escaping the 12 ounce brown bottle pours a clear golden yellow color with a modest bright white head, the lace is thin. Nose is malt; clean and fresh, start is slightly sweet, fait to middling malt profile and the top light in its feel to the palate. Finish has a light to medium acidity, the hops are apropos to the style, dry aftertaste, and a decent drinking beer for the hot summer days that are surely upon us, at least here in Arizona.

2.8/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale yellow golden color with a white head. Plenty of effervescence in the beer, but just not enough to keep the head around for a long time. At least it lasts longer than most fizzy yellow beers, though, so it gets a better appearance rating. The smell is clean, slightly herbal, hint of honey and light malts. The taste starts off with a heavy handed bitterness, smooth pale malts, and then back to a bitter finish. It doesn't taste bad, but it's just simply not exciting. Mouthfeel is very light, lacks a certain crispness. Mediocre drinkability, because while it's not bad, it's just too boring. The novelty is in the name, when it needs to be in the beer.

2.63/5  rDev -7.7%

I didn't really like this beer. It was uncomfortable. And I beleive the hops used where ALDI brand. Mybe with some experance the brewery my come out with some thing extrodinary. But not today.

I sence vision and integrity in their brewing. But I think they have a mouth trained on Bud or Miller.

Tasted like a little more spicyer macro.

Gulp Gulp,
PH

2.42/5  rDev -15.1%

I've passed this many times at my local beer stores. Finally went on sale so I took a stab. I'm a big fan of the german pilsener style so I figured what the heck. Looks smooth on the pour. Forms a nice white fizzy head and has decent lacing. Not much in the line of a supporting carbonation.

Malted almost to a fault as the profile is soft and watered with a sublte hop presence that just doesn't give it enough zip or balance to keep it interesting. Usually a beer will grow on me and I like it the more I sample it but not the case here.

Mouthfeel was watered. It was missing that snappy saaz hop presence I've come to love in this style. Not for me.

2.75/5  rDev -3.5%

Spied at my local beer Store. A standard looking 12 oz bottle that has a rather authentic looking label with a picture of a Fin de Siècle Eastern European looking dude with a droopy moustache & a cloth Cap. What looks like his two Mafioso sons stand either side of him. Has the words ‘Jösef BIERBITZCH Gölden Pilsner’ on the single obverse label. No freshness date, but listed as 4.5% Alc.Vol.

To be honest, I initially thought that this was one of those “Joke” Beers because of the rather dubious spelling of the word Golden with an umlaut on the ‘O’, & the fact that this could be a play on the words “Beer Bitch”. Anyways, the beer store was having a 20% Off Weekend, so I figured I would pick it up & try it.

The 12 oz filled my Pint Glass, even when poured carefully. It has a marvelous golden (note: proper spelling with no umlaut!) Pilsner look with a positively huge white mass that forms the head. The smooth, deep white head had a fantastic looking rocky surface that slowly settled, but the head was never less than 1/2" thick at all times. Left a complex pattern of clinging lace as it descended to the glass base. Average carbonation levels. Looks pretty good for a Pilsner actually.

Pilsner Malts in the nose, bit too feint to detect without inhaling hard. A clean, crisp but light nose, with some even lighter hop whiffs towards the back end.

Pretty average taste, I was expecting more & was rather let down by the middle-of-the-road flavor profile. A very clean beer, but it has a Pale Lager hint about it for me, rather a Pilsner. It lacked some definitive Pilsner Malt feel & had sweet malts instead. There was no soft hoppy nature to this, so often found in “good” Pilsners, but just a little sharp bitterness in the end only.

Thin, watery at times. Clean lines, not much in the way of help from the carbonation either. It all culminates in a Pilsner with a very low mouthfeel.

The lack of any real taste profile & the fact that it is quite thin detracts heavily from the overall experience. So much so I am very glad I only picked up one of these.

Starts with a good appearance, but it is little more than average as Pilsners go. To its credit it is a very clean drink, but the lack of the Pilsner Malts & soft Hop profile really relegates this beer with the rest of the 'wannabe' US Pilsners. This is Brewed & Bottled by the Academy of Fine Beer (Gilroy, CA) I just noted. I trust that it is by Students still in their 1st year because they won’t graduate with this offering.

3.6/5  rDev +26.3%

Looks- Pale yellow almost clear. very small amount of head that fades quickly. A few small bubbles rise to the top.

Smell- Not much going on here, clean small but not bad.

Taste- light crisp not over carbonated flavor, that changes to a slight hops flavor, with a small tart finish.

This beer has more complexity than American macro beers, but would be a good beer to give to non-micro beer
drinkers.

2.58/5  rDev -9.5%

Medium gold color. NO head at all. Aroma is grainy and slightly sweet. A medium bodied pilsner. Malts are very sweet and fruity. Hops are nearly non-existent. That said, its balanced well and much better than Corona, but so what? Mouthfeel is thin. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

2.88/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz longneck pop top bottle into a pilsner glass. The beer is a clear and golden in color. My pour produces a 3/4 inch white head that rapidly fades to a small white cloud that floats on the liquid with no lacing. OK looking for a pils.

Smell: I'm a bit put off by the scent. I get some malt, but there is a strong presence of Euro-style skunk here, which I am not sure is supposed to be present. Kinda Heinekin like in both appearance and smell.

Taste: Some malt, little hop bitterness, no sweetness. I do not get any adjunct from this. To put it best, the taste is clean.

Mouthfeel: The beer does have some good carbonation. Light in body, crisp, and lively.

Drinkability: I only bought one as part of a mixed 6-pack to settle my curiosity. Well, now that it is done, I am good. Its was ok.

No date on the bottle so I do not know how old it is, may not be the freshest. I also notice that there have bee no reviews of this for 6 months. Is it old? Maybe, but this review is necessary to at least serve as a warning.

1.8/5  rDev -36.8%

This poured a light golden color, not bad looking but nothing special. No head to speak of and no lacing either.

Had the smell of corn and butter, very strange and not like any beer I'd ever smelled.

Tasted like someone dropped a stick of butter in my glass, it was all I could do to finish the entire beer.

I drank the one bottle, and a few days later cracked open another one just to give this beer a second try. I couldn't come close to finishing the second one, and ended up throwing the rest down the drain.

Of the many beers I have sampled from all over the world, this is probably the least enjoyable I've ever tried. Your results may vary, but I would not consider serving this to anyone I cared about.

3.08/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a slight straw color with almost no head. The smell is primarily grainy, not much else going on. Taste is also grainy and has a slight hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is light in body and has a decent carbonation. A decently drinkable beer but nothing special.

2.38/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a light straw color with hardly any head, little carbonation either. Smells faintly like corn, not a huge aroma, some mild hop scent but no malt. First sip has a slight sting of alcohol, but little taste, watery to the mouth without much body. i'm not a huge fan of lagers, this is better than any BMC, but it doesn't have a great taste to it.

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%

2.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle from Park Lane Liquor in Lancaster, CA. This beer pours a clear pale golden color with a thin and fizzy white head that dissipates quickly. Spotty lacing. Aroma of grainy malt and honey with a tiny bit of hops. Light-bodied and effervescent with flavors of cereal, malt and lightly spiced hops. The finish is grain and malt with a lingering sweetness. Overall this Pils is on the boring side, although it is drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev +29.1%

Sampled at a beer fest (I know I know, I shouldn't review beers at a beer fest, but I took steps to make sure I concentrated and kept my palate fresh) in 3oz size.

Look - dark golden color, clear, with a good 2 fingers worth of khaki-colored foam that dissipates slowly.

Smell - typical pilsener (German) smell.

Taste and Mouthfeel - Very interesting taste for a pilsener. Unique spice that I can't identify. Good balance of hops and malts. The added "spice" may actually be something sweet like chocolate, but something that doesn't alter the appearance much. Typical watery taste of a Pilsener, but not too bad.

Drinkability - Not a bad brew, although not very complex.

3.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a golden slightly hazed hue with a thin cap of white foam that lasts only for a moment leaving some trace amounts of lace. The nose in grainy with some light pear aromas emerging. The tastes are a little bit unique, some graininess with a honey sweetness and Rice Crispies cereal flavors. Light bodied and low carbonation with a mildly dry finish. Drinkable and enjoyable.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »