Oude Kriek - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude KriekOude Kriek

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Kriek Alström Bros

RoyFokker, Feb 22, 2014

TectonicFun, Sep 02, 2012

badgerman, Jul 30, 2012
1.27/5  rDev -69%

Doesn't look like a beer. Looks like cranberry juice. Pours burgundy with zero head.

It smells like salad dressing. A mix between vinegar and some sort of berry.

The taste is simply terrible. Based on the look, smell and taste, if I hadn't bought this in a beer store, I'd never guess it to be a beer. The vinegar taste just overwhelms everything else.

This thing destroys your mouth. It's sooo bitter that I literally squint each time I swallow. It burns the back of your throat, it's extremely unpleasant.

I'm not sure I can finish this. Not so much because it's so bad, but because the pain my mouth and throat are in. I don't know what it's like to drink bleach, but it has to be similar to this.

RickS95, Sep 06, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -59.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pours a nice, dark red. the color of ripe cherries... and blood.

Smell: Extremely funky. Smells like limburger cheese mixed with old gym socks on top of a stale baguette.

Taste: Very, very sour cherries with the acidity of vinegar. Once the wild cherry flavor goes through, the taste of bad durians, limburger cheese, aged goat cheese, and socks after they've been on a guy who's run the marathon all blended together and served on a toasted baguette surfaces again. I haven't had an aftertaste this bad on my palette since I threw up after drinking too much wine at a wine-and-really-eclectic-pungent-cheese party.

Overall: I've had krieks before that I thought were too sour for my taste but this one is so acidic it could probably put a hole through your skin. I couldn't tolerate more than a couple sips.

thekanna, Dec 25, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -52.4%

Well my first kriek, to be honest I'm not sure this will be my style. Pours a pink/orange color, no carbonation or head. Smells real funky, not pleasent but I don't know what exactly it is. Tastes very acidic and again a weird funk. Very thin mouthfeel. Overall not very impressed. That's just me though.

Manosbeeroffate, Jan 13, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

With the puddle of drool collecting on my chin as I smell this beer -- a near-perfect display of ripe, earthy acid and hell garden fruit -- I expect the best. And though the beer finishes long and deep, it's tortured by an overwhelming taste of iron -- fresh pig's blood -- that sticks to the tongue, turning uric and fecal. The acidity and dryness, though intense, are well balanced making this one of the more drinkable, yet authentic, lambics in the world.

This is a style of decay, but Oude Kriek has gone too far without any caution or reserve, filling my mouth with the corpal weight of lost souls hanging shallow in the fog -- under the volcano, where death sends the unknown and unloved.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Oct 04, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -39.5%

Now the second time having this beer, and two completely different experiences. The first sampling was at a tasting, and the beer was excellent. This time around... not so much. I have no idea exactly why, the bottles have no dating I can find outside of a notched "B" under "lotnr." In any case, this 375ml bottle was purchased in Florida in July.

Since I am now drinking a whole bottle vs. 3oz after a long and drawn out tasting, I am reviewing the beer at hand. Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

the cork came free fairly easily, with a muted, yet audible pop. The beer pours a thin grape seed color. I was unable to coax any head out of it. Not really a good sign.

Smells very acidic and almost boozy. I fear the lack of carbonation is impacting what and how I smell the beer. Sad, really, as the other bottle was so wonderful. Cherries aren't at all particularly distinguishable, though some sort of red fruit is suggested I suppose.

The taste and mouthfeel confirm that this is indeed completely flat. The lack of carbonation makes the beer feel watery and extra acidic. Nearly puckering, the sourness is out of place. Tart cherries are coming through here though.

The mouthfeel is unpleasantly dry. And flat.

Overall a disappointment. I know that this beer CAN be amazing. So if I ever get a chance to spend some time with a fully carbonated bottle I will revisit this review. Until then the beer is deserving of my low score (and it appears I am not the only one to have had a similar problem).

Spider889, Aug 13, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -36.6%

A-dark brownish red. little to no head...looks more like a wine.

S-smells like a sour wine. abv is there...surprising for only 6%. there is a thick cherry scent hidden within.

T-hits with an EXTREME sourness. oh wow, the whole experience is a bit like a warhead candy. its a quite unique and semi-painful experience. there might be some cherry in there but i can't taste anything past the sourness.

M-medium carbonation, almost watery finish. really makes my mouth water.

D-i must say this isn't very drinkable. it does not go down easily at all. its just entirely way too sour for me.

AdamBear, Nov 22, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

Bottle from City Beer in SF. This was expensive as hell, $17 or so. Oh man, this was interesting to say the least.

A - Red in color with a small white head.

S - Aroma of cherries, funk, and canned tuna. Yes, tuna. Not too enjoyable.

T - Sweet cherries, then tartness, vinegar, and funk. Horse blanket, pig sweater, llama comforter, elephant jacket, and camel overcoat were all present in the flavor. Tuna on the finish. Pretty good in a way, but a little disturbing in another. It grows on you.

M - Nice sharp, biting palate with lively carbonation.

D - Not so good. This has some nice elements to it but is a little questionable overall.

nickd717, Oct 09, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

cwarnold, Mar 08, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from Connecticut Ave in DC. Served in a Hanssens tumbler.

A: Pours a bright red with a bit of a crimson hue. There's a thin pink head that pops up, but then falls down fairly quickly. Afterward, there's a thin collar around the edges of the glass with a few bubbles on top.

S: The nose brings some fresh, tart cherries with a good dose of lactic acidity. Aside from that, there's some mild earthiness in the background.

F: The cherries start things off, but quickly give way to a fairly-harsh lactic presence. It's really quite over the top, and then comes a bit of vinegar. The vinegar isn't overpowering, but is a bit too much, especially considering the strong lactic character and lack of matching cherry flavor.

M: Light body with moderately-high carbonation and a bracingly-sour finish. Quite dry, though the acidity doesn't last too long after each sip.

O: Too much acidity without enough fruit to back it up. Even with more fruit, the lactic is probably too much and the acetic character needs to be taken down a bit.

Thorpe429, Mar 04, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - This beer poured a light reddish color that produced no head whatsoever

S - The aromas of sour cherries and yeast

T - To me, this beer is a sour mess, way too much for me, some yeast and cherry

M - This mouthfeel on this beer had a light to moderate body and a light amount of carbonation

D - Like I have already stated, this beer was like sticking several warheads in your mouth, it had a huge sour cherry kick that really made this beer undrinkable, not a good Lambic

cvfish, Mar 02, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a lightly copper colored beer that has shades of pink and red. No head whatsoever.

There is a musky, earthy aroma that is woody, dank, and almost malodorous. I'm not sure if this how it's supposed to smell, but it's definitely unusual.

The taste is exceptionally tart with hints of vinegar and sour cherries. I was initially overwhelmed by the strange flavor but eventually wanred up to it as I drank.

The mouthfeel is a tad bit too sour for me. I feel like I pucker as I take this into my mouth. The texture of this beer is just too tart for my taste. This is a very dry, almost winelike quality in the mouth.

I supppose I'm just not evolved enough to appreciate the finer points of this style. Perhaps a little more exposure to this style will open my mind. I didn't score this lower because I felt like this is the way this style is intended.

filabrazilia, Oct 30, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours a dark cherry/ ruby red with thin pink head that quickly dissipates. Funky sour aroma with sweet cherry juice, cherries and syrup. Very puckering and vinuous. Sweet cherry syrup flavor that stays sour throughout with a very dry and way too acidic finish.

corby112, Nov 21, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured this one into a tulip glass. It is a really deep ruby red with some purple highlights. No head at all, maybe some medium sized loose bubbles.

Nose on this one was the first sign for a slight dissapointment. It was very tart cherries up front with a lot of vinegar. The sourness had my nose hairs standing up straight. An almondy note cuz I know they're bringin in the real deal here with an authentic Fruit Lambic production.

My first sip of this beer pretty much gave it away. This beer is surprisingly not that good at all. Hansenns Oude Gueuze is probably one of my favorites and Cantillon makes my favorite Kriek thus far. I don't know exactly where they went wrong with this one but it tastes wild in a spoiled way if that makes sense. I've never had a sour or a wild ale that sat quite this way with me.

This beer has the lack of flavors and complexities that I find noteworthy in many others. It just seems like the vinegar and sourness show off too much and don't let anything else shine thru exept for perhaps some black cherries. And I love sour so it's kind of awkward for me to not like this one.

cooch69, Sep 19, 2011

Danielr26, Jun 23, 2013

375 ml purchased from the Bruery Provisions. No clear bottle date.

Poured into a Lost Abbey Tulip.

A: Completely clear bubbles pour into the rest of a completely flat pinoit noir body. Looks like a really dark strawberry jam with no imperfections. There's no haze or cloudiness, invisible yeast presence. The glass sits still like pond water. Disappointed already with how flat this is looking.

S: Yikes, really super tart currents and almost putrid cherries. This is smelling past it's prime, lots of damp cork woods and extremely biting current sourness. Tart doesn't even begin to explain the nose, this smells like 100% essence of sourness. I am getting lockjaw in anticipation of how sour this will be.

T: Very tart, but actually some oak restrains the sourness a bit. The smell was extremely sour, but the flavor is just tart. The acidity is pretty uncomfortable, but I think it's exaggerated by the fact that this is completely flat. The flavors all seem to intersect at soggy woods. Cherries and red currents sting like tart venomed bees before dying in pool of acid. Feels really harsh on the back of the throat, but even then you get some fancy wood-mellowing after tastes. Faint fruity almonds and red wine in the aftertaste.

M: As said before, completely flat. This feels so harsh because of the lack of contrast in the mouth. A very wet light body that prickles so heavy with tartness that you can almost trick yourself that there's still some carbonation left. Unfortunately, there isn't any carb left. Always a bummer to pop a cork to a hollow sound.

O: The flavors are pretty good, and this thing is incredibly potent with tart berry flavors. With some carbonation I'm sure this is a much better beer, but as a flat beer it's very rough to drink. The acidity is very taxing on the back of the throat, and the tartness makes it feel like force-fed medicines. I could get this thing down if it was a magical elixir to cure all my problems, but otherwise this isn't drinking very well. I'll revisit this one, and I'll hope for a loud pop from the cork.

Cavery, Aug 11, 2011

DelicateDelirium, Sep 05, 2012

Poured from 375mL corked bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: exceedingly deep, rich red hue with basically no head at all. Usually the latter would be a problem, but the color is so rich and beautiful ... wow.

Smell: slightly tart wild-yeast aroma with a hint of dark cherries. A bit mild, but nice.

Taste: very tart, somewhat sweet flavor. Reminds me more of an unflavored lambic than a kriek. Cherries are barely there, and what is present is buried in the tartness. Way too tart, even for the style, and not enough cherries in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: astringent, light mouthfeel with a minimum of carbonation. Quite undercarbonated for a beer of the style. Odd.

Overall: I'm rather disappointed by this beer, though it is possible I've got a bad bottle. How does a naturally tart and wild-fermented beer go bad? I don't know, but this beer is undercarbonated, over-tart and just not cherry enough for the style.

flagmantho, Mar 30, 2012

Brew33, Nov 17, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -26.1%

I think this is bottle is brewed in 2005.

The colour is deep red-brown, the liquid almost clear. The minimal head disappears quickly, leaving no lacing.

The smell is tart with notes of vinegar, yeast, earthy hints and a sweet touch of cherry candy.

The taste is dry and tart with the expected notes of minerals, vinegar, iodine, salt and earthy-chemical notes as well as dry flavours of sour cherries, cherry candy and hips. The aftertaste is sour-tart with metallic bitter flavours and an artificial flavour of cherries.

The carbonation is medium strong; medium sized bubbles. The liquid is dry and a little light, yet sticky.

A little too tart for a kriek, I think.

bark, Jan 11, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: Set down in front of me a deep, reddish-purple, still body. Gulp.

Smell: Heady nose of marinated cherry skins with lesser fruity notes of cranberries and black muscats. Stingy scents of decomposing wood drenched with citric, sour lemon juice and vinegar.

Taste: Predominate cherry-like fruitiness, but (gah!) it's nearly obscured behind the intense, jarring acidity and seemingly sea salt-like qualities. Oh so acetic. Hint of musty, rotting wood. Oh so salty. Thinking back on it is giving me a hankering for some salt-n-vinegar chips. Dry finish laced with acid.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light, still body as it's completely flat carbonationwise.

Drinkability: By far the most acidic beverage I believe I've ever come across. Fairly tasty, but it's a real gut-wrencher -- you can literally feel yourself rotting away from the inside due to your newly-formed, bleeding Hanssens Ulcers. So, please, have some TUMS handy!

ChainGangGuy, Jul 03, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A fresh bottle. Pours a very dark red with a non-existant head. This beer is very acidic. Acid is predominantly acetic. This dominates but of course there is plently of funk but also notes of smoky oak and even some raw meat. Overall, a decent kriek but a little over the top with too much vinegar taste.

deebo, Apr 17, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a 375 mL bottle into a wine class.

A- Reminds me of tropical Kool-Aid. Pours a cranberry red that is relatively clear. Absolutely no head to speak of.

S- Very pungent. Smells like it is going be mouthpuckering sour. Lots of oak and some farmhouse funk. Cherries are slightly represented but pretty muted.

T- On the initial taste this beer has the potential to be a great sour. Lots of brett, oak, sour cherries, and just the perfect amount of acidity. If it ended here, this would be awesome. Alas, this is not the case. Just at the pinnacle of great taste, a sweet, cherry vinegar flavor takes over, very akin to that of a Flander Red Ale. Unfortunately you have to ride this flavor all the way to the finish.

M- Possibly even worse than the taste. Absolutely no carbonation, which makes the sweet vinegar taste just that more prevalent.

D- This one was very hard to put down to say the least. I don't mind a Flanders every now and then, but not when it's mixed with a sour.

Overall, won't be buying or trying this one again.

rhinos00, May 20, 2009