Oude Kriek - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude KriekOude Kriek

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-14-2001)
View: Beers (7) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Kriek Alström Bros
Swimsum

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from bottle into Bruery tulip, vintage unknown.

No popped when removing the cork, not a good sign. Pours out a crimson color with absolutely no head... Is this from Lost Abbey? Kidding aside, there really is nothing as far as bubbles go. This is quite sad as it is flat like water. When held to light it is a deep cheery red that is slightly hazy. No lacing is left. I wish this had some form of head as I bet it would make the beer look much nicer.

Very sour smelling with some cherries backing up the sour/acidity. The cherries start to come out more as the beer warms. There is also some weird funkiness that comes out every now and then that isn't all that pleasing. Sort of musky.

Mouth puckering sour upon first sip. Acidity hits you right away and like the smell finishes with some nice cherry flavor. As the drinking goes on, the acidity dies down and it actually drinks quite nice but sourness is still very apparent. There is a slight sourness that lingers in the mouth after the beer is swallowed.

Mouthfeel is as expected, pretty thin due to no carbonation. I'm going to guess this would be much better if it has some carbonation.

I can only wonder what this could have been if it had carbonation. It is actually a pretty sour beer as well. Overall it is drinkable but without carbonation it's not the easiest drinking thing. I would like to retry this and hopefully it will be carbonated.

01-15-2011 04:37:34 | More by Swimsum
IPAIsaac

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

12-09-2013 05:29:18 | More by IPAIsaac
PEBKAC

3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

Champagne-sized variety.

Pours out a dull pink, but settles into my tulip a sherry vinegar-like color. Murky. A good spritz of off-white head dies & lingers around the edges.

Smells of strawberries & sweat at first, eventually becoming the imitation sugar-laden cherry syrup that gets oozed over your Carvel sundae. Tail end is acrid wood & burnt sugar.

A notion of turned wine at first, it is immediately replaced with a nice, only slightly offensive pucker that is similar to old white grapefruit juice. Lightly caramelized sugar fills in just before an idea of cherry pits, cork, & what seems like apricot. The finish is tart & dry with vinegar & bread crust.

Carbonation is mild, but whips up the acid at the end. Feel is slightly, slightly, yeasty.

Overall, not too memorable, if only that I rarely make work of a 750 of anything but cheap champagne. Drinkability suffers because of price & the unmemorable qualities my limited short-term memory retains.

04-22-2009 05:38:35 | More by PEBKAC
ibbjamin

3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

Paid $10.75 for a 375ml caged and corked bottle from Bobby's Liquor in San Jose, CA. Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip to review.

A soft pop of the cork and pour yields almost no head with only slight traces of carbonation. Dark purple in color. No retention or lacing.

Aroma is mainly of old musky basement funk with some raspberry, oak and red grape.

Taste is quite acidic. Definitely more acidic than sour. The funkiness is not as prominent as I was expecting or hoping.

Relatively dry on the mouth with minimal carbonation and a light to medium body.

Certainly there are better examples of the style out there and at this price range, I don't recon I'll be picking this one up again.

11-25-2010 03:22:06 | More by ibbjamin
Patrickbrusil

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

Whoa. Super strong smell. Over powering fish scent IMO. Like canned tuna.

This beer is either WAY above me or off. I'm guessing I wasn't ready.

Too real man. The shit is to real. I feel like I'm biting into a piece of wood soaked in dark cherry juice. It's intense.

I like sours, I like wild ales, I like the funk. This is taking the sour to a far end of the dark corner of funk.

Not for the weak of heart. I'm hoping to review this again down the line.

05-21-2011 02:40:51 | More by Patrickbrusil
champ103

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

Like pretty much everything else I have had from Hanssens, I can not find a bottle date. So who knows how old this bottle is?

A: Pours a bright and vibrant reddish/pink color. I love the color. A one finger white head forms, and vanishes in a second.
S: Tart, acidic, and ultra funky. Cheesy, stinky, funk. Not a lot of cherry sweetness or fruit aromas.
T: Follows the nose with a huge tart, acidic, and sour bite. Cheesy, stinky, funk. Wow, everything is very strong and over powering. I love the style, but this is over barring.
M/D: A medium body that is very crisp and effervescent. I do like funky sours, and enjoyed this on a hot afternoon. Though, just a bit over powering.

I love me some sour and funk. This certainly fits the bill, and I did enjoy my bottle. Though over barring, in a sense that even puts Cantillon to shame. If you want to impress some sour heads, this is what you should bring.

06-25-2012 05:10:03 | More by champ103
beerhan

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

750 mL bottle split two ways, no bottle date

A-Pours a dark red with no head whatsoever. There are some white bubbles that were forced with a rough pour. A loud cork pop with no carbonation...

S-Lots of funk very musty. Smell is quite appropriate to style, very stinky.

T-Very tart with a lot of funk. It is filled with cherry and barnyard funk with not much else going on.

M-Very flat and tart. The tartness does not balance too well with the low carbonation.

O-I was a bit disappointed by this one. The price was okay, 17.99 for a 750. I think I was kind of expecting a little more on this one. The carbonation is really what lowers the score on this one. It was just too flat. I would not recommend this one.

08-27-2011 04:28:28 | More by beerhan
htomsirveaux

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

375 mL bottle tried 28 Nov 2009.

Poured in a 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter (did not realize what a workout we gave this glass for a while...). Small tan head quickly dissipates. Well carbonated. Cloudy rosy color. Smells quite sour (A says like something gone bad, I disagree), cherry pits. Starts quite sour (A cannot taste anything else), very lactic, cherry pits. Fairly acidic and sharp, slightly mellowing in the middle. Some tart cherry comes out as the sour acclimates on the palate. Light body. Moderate alcohol.

A says like a kiss between two punches to the face. We disagreed on the score to this one...

05-06-2010 05:28:37 | More by htomsirveaux
JAXSON

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

From a 375ml bottle. Pours a clear red with a thin ring of head. After like 15 krieks all I can pull out here are the extreme outlying qualities of this. Band aid, hospital room, sour, dry cherry. Heavy acidity in the front palate, which just kills it for me. I'm thinking that it's really difficult to make a sour cherry or raspberry beer, lambic or otherwise, without that blinding acidity. Hanssens failed in this regard.

12-05-2010 22:03:06 | More by JAXSON
Cisco619

3.45/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

375 ml bottle poured into St. Bernardus chalice. No Date on bottle or cork.

A: Crimson hue that painted my palm in a blood red glow as i held my glass. Light bubbles on top after pouring, but no lacing to speak of. The way this brew plays with the light is captivating.

S: Cherries & tartness up front. A touch of barnyard funk sneaks in after a candy sweetness for the finish.

T: A meld of acidic tart flavors up front with a sweet cherry finish that lingers on the back of the tongue to a dry, crisp finish.

M: This is where this beer lacks for me. The lack of carbonation makes this a bit syrupy. Light sour tingle lingers around the edge of the tongue.

O: The appearance of this brew is enthralling, but it lacks in the flavor & feel. Some carbonation would have really helped this one out.

09-25-2011 04:33:00 | More by Cisco619
benito

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

I've had this bottle sitting around for a few months and figured that I would give it a shot. It's a cherry red brew, very transluscent, with hints of brown. The head dissipates quickly after the pour. The bouquet is the real treat here: a mix of sulfur, cherry, and must make for a very dry impression overall. The dryness is evident in the flavor as well which is dominated by cherry and puckeringly sour.

Though I like the main body of this brew, the sourness is so biting and dominant that it becomes less palatable over the course of a pint: it is light bodied and dry up front and then almost overpoweringly sour on the finish. The finale's strength leaves a biting, acidic feeling in my chest that doesn't sit that well.

A worthwhile though slightly flawed beer.

08-05-2006 22:52:36 | More by benito
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

Wow! This beer is sour! Definitely the most tart beer that I have ever tried. I thought it would mellow-out as it warmed and the sugars broke down, but no luck. The sour-ness just keep coming and coming and kicking me in the butt!

Luckily the meal that I had it with (rabbit in a nice wine reduction) was an excellent pairing that made the beer tolerable. A must-try, but be sure to have it with good food.

02-21-2008 16:49:12 | More by alysmith4
morebeergood

3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

Brought a 750 ml bottle to a friend's house to have with dessert after a bbq. The homeowners were novices to lambics, so I was interested to gauge their response. Split the bottle four ways into white wine glasses. It had an earthy, cherry, and sour smell once I popped the cork. It poured a hazy red into the glasses. The taste was very tart at first, since I was expecting a bit of mellowness since this was a 3 year aged bottle. Once it warmed up some, the tartness grew on me. I think the rookies took a liking to it, and I was glad to introduce them to a new style of beer. Overall, it was a decent example of an oude kriek at a pretty good price ($10.75).

06-04-2007 17:43:10 | More by morebeergood
bklynbeerbaron

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a stange-like glass.

Appearance: A clear, ruby red, with a tinge of brown. A thin bubbly head dissipates pretty quickly.

Smell: Is this a beer? Because aroma I got was more wine-like - a hint of grape mixed with an intense, funky cherry aroma.

Taste and mouthfeel: Sourness dominates the palate: starts out lemony then quickly becomes vinegary. The cherry flavor is pushed into the background, emerging only in the dry finish and leaving a pleasant, tart aftertaste. The sourness might be too much if the mouthfeel wasn't so light and crisp.

Drinkability: The intense sourness might be too much after one glass.

Notes: Maybe I've been drinking sweetened lambics too much, but the sourness of this beer reminds me of a Flanders red ale. And I know it's hard to make wine/beer comparisons, but a wine drinker might really like this one.

08-29-2006 05:51:29 | More by bklynbeerbaron
marvin213

08-02-2012 01:50:01 | More by marvin213
aasher

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

375ml bottle labeled Lot E with no other information. This beer poured a medium bodied dark, dark rich red in color with no a single bubble of carbonation. It poured really flat. The aromas are of slightly tart cherries with slight funk. There isn't much complexity. It tastes good, there just isn't too much going on. It tastes of subtle sour cherries with a light sweet tart esque finish. It drinks kind of watery in consistency but it easy to drink. Overall this is a pretty lackluster Kriek. I'm surprised because I normally love Hanssens but this one could've been better.

05-16-2011 01:19:06 | More by aasher

06-26-2013 02:55:51 | More by 2neardead
brendan13

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

A - Pours a murky dark pink/orangey colour with half a centimetre of white head that falls away almost immediately.
S - Tart cherry and funky , earthy barnyard aromas.
T - Light cherry and funky, earthy flavours.
M - Light bodied, fairly high carbonation. Quite a sharp acidic bite.
D - A Decent example of the style. But not something I'd drink on a regular basis.

04-24-2009 13:27:41 | More by brendan13
eulerthegrape

12-02-2013 23:23:48 | More by eulerthegrape
Jredner

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is sour, yeasty with hints of dried cherries and musty soil. Color is amber leaning toward orange/red with a well established, firm white head. Flavor is quite sour with dominating notes of rotting oranges and hints of fresh cherries. Mild wood notes, but some cork flavors as well. Not sure of the date on my bottle, but it is probably 2004ish. I feel like this could age amazingly well, but as of now it still needs to sit and mellow out some.

03-01-2006 07:10:30 | More by Jredner