Oude Kriek - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-14-2001

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Like pretty much everything else I have had from Hanssens, I can not find a bottle date. So who knows how old this bottle is?

A: Pours a bright and vibrant reddish/pink color. I love the color. A one finger white head forms, and vanishes in a second.
S: Tart, acidic, and ultra funky. Cheesy, stinky, funk. Not a lot of cherry sweetness or fruit aromas.
T: Follows the nose with a huge tart, acidic, and sour bite. Cheesy, stinky, funk. Wow, everything is very strong and over powering. I love the style, but this is over barring.
M/D: A medium body that is very crisp and effervescent. I do like funky sours, and enjoyed this on a hot afternoon. Though, just a bit over powering.

I love me some sour and funk. This certainly fits the bill, and I did enjoy my bottle. Though over barring, in a sense that even puts Cantillon to shame. If you want to impress some sour heads, this is what you should bring. (907 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -15.7%

750 mL bottle split two ways, no bottle date

A-Pours a dark red with no head whatsoever. There are some white bubbles that were forced with a rough pour. A loud cork pop with no carbonation...

S-Lots of funk very musty. Smell is quite appropriate to style, very stinky.

T-Very tart with a lot of funk. It is filled with cherry and barnyard funk with not much else going on.

M-Very flat and tart. The tartness does not balance too well with the low carbonation.

O-I was a bit disappointed by this one. The price was okay, 17.99 for a 750. I think I was kind of expecting a little more on this one. The carbonation is really what lowers the score on this one. It was just too flat. I would not recommend this one. (716 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Wow! This beer is sour! Definitely the most tart beer that I have ever tried. I thought it would mellow-out as it warmed and the sugars broke down, but no luck. The sour-ness just keep coming and coming and kicking me in the butt!

Luckily the meal that I had it with (rabbit in a nice wine reduction) was an excellent pairing that made the beer tolerable. A must-try, but be sure to have it with good food. (408 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

375 mL bottle tried 28 Nov 2009.

Poured in a 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter (did not realize what a workout we gave this glass for a while...). Small tan head quickly dissipates. Well carbonated. Cloudy rosy color. Smells quite sour (A says like something gone bad, I disagree), cherry pits. Starts quite sour (A cannot taste anything else), very lactic, cherry pits. Fairly acidic and sharp, slightly mellowing in the middle. Some tart cherry comes out as the sour acclimates on the palate. Light body. Moderate alcohol.

A says like a kiss between two punches to the face. We disagreed on the score to this one... (612 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

From a 375ml bottle. Pours a clear red with a thin ring of head. After like 15 krieks all I can pull out here are the extreme outlying qualities of this. Band aid, hospital room, sour, dry cherry. Heavy acidity in the front palate, which just kills it for me. I'm thinking that it's really difficult to make a sour cherry or raspberry beer, lambic or otherwise, without that blinding acidity. Hanssens failed in this regard. (424 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a murky reddish with a bit of head around the edges. Smells like sweaty dog ass. Lots of funk on the nose. tastes sweet and funky. Vry very sour. Lote of cherry hitting hard. Good mouthfeel and fairly drinkable. Overall, interesting and fairly tasty but nothing special (275 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

375 ml bottle poured into St. Bernardus chalice. No Date on bottle or cork.

A: Crimson hue that painted my palm in a blood red glow as i held my glass. Light bubbles on top after pouring, but no lacing to speak of. The way this brew plays with the light is captivating.

S: Cherries & tartness up front. A touch of barnyard funk sneaks in after a candy sweetness for the finish.

T: A meld of acidic tart flavors up front with a sweet cherry finish that lingers on the back of the tongue to a dry, crisp finish.

M: This is where this beer lacks for me. The lack of carbonation makes this a bit syrupy. Light sour tingle lingers around the edge of the tongue.

O: The appearance of this brew is enthralling, but it lacks in the flavor & feel. Some carbonation would have really helped this one out. (799 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -13.9%

I've had this bottle sitting around for a few months and figured that I would give it a shot. It's a cherry red brew, very transluscent, with hints of brown. The head dissipates quickly after the pour. The bouquet is the real treat here: a mix of sulfur, cherry, and must make for a very dry impression overall. The dryness is evident in the flavor as well which is dominated by cherry and puckeringly sour.

Though I like the main body of this brew, the sourness is so biting and dominant that it becomes less palatable over the course of a pint: it is light bodied and dry up front and then almost overpoweringly sour on the finish. The finale's strength leaves a biting, acidic feeling in my chest that doesn't sit that well.

A worthwhile though slightly flawed beer. (775 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -13.7%

Brought a 750 ml bottle to a friend's house to have with dessert after a bbq. The homeowners were novices to lambics, so I was interested to gauge their response. Split the bottle four ways into white wine glasses. It had an earthy, cherry, and sour smell once I popped the cork. It poured a hazy red into the glasses. The taste was very tart at first, since I was expecting a bit of mellowness since this was a 3 year aged bottle. Once it warmed up some, the tartness grew on me. I think the rookies took a liking to it, and I was glad to introduce them to a new style of beer. Overall, it was a decent example of an oude kriek at a pretty good price ($10.75). (661 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a stange-like glass.

Appearance: A clear, ruby red, with a tinge of brown. A thin bubbly head dissipates pretty quickly.

Smell: Is this a beer? Because aroma I got was more wine-like - a hint of grape mixed with an intense, funky cherry aroma.

Taste and mouthfeel: Sourness dominates the palate: starts out lemony then quickly becomes vinegary. The cherry flavor is pushed into the background, emerging only in the dry finish and leaving a pleasant, tart aftertaste. The sourness might be too much if the mouthfeel wasn't so light and crisp.

Drinkability: The intense sourness might be too much after one glass.

Notes: Maybe I've been drinking sweetened lambics too much, but the sourness of this beer reminds me of a Flanders red ale. And I know it's hard to make wine/beer comparisons, but a wine drinker might really like this one. (881 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

375ml bottle labeled Lot E with no other information. This beer poured a medium bodied dark, dark rich red in color with no a single bubble of carbonation. It poured really flat. The aromas are of slightly tart cherries with slight funk. There isn't much complexity. It tastes good, there just isn't too much going on. It tastes of subtle sour cherries with a light sweet tart esque finish. It drinks kind of watery in consistency but it easy to drink. Overall this is a pretty lackluster Kriek. I'm surprised because I normally love Hanssens but this one could've been better. (577 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Pours a murky dark pink/orangey colour with half a centimetre of white head that falls away almost immediately.
S - Tart cherry and funky , earthy barnyard aromas.
T - Light cherry and funky, earthy flavours.
M - Light bodied, fairly high carbonation. Quite a sharp acidic bite.
D - A Decent example of the style. But not something I'd drink on a regular basis. (365 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -12.7%

I'm really disappointed in the pour. No fizz whatsoever. It's as if I just poured some cranberry juice...same color and look. The smell, however, tells me that this does indeed contain some Morellos and promises the mouth-puckering refreshment that I crave from one of these beers. Let's hope it delivers on that and that the first look was deceiving.

Yep, that is definitely sour and yummy, but the lack of carbonation makes this cloying from the first touch to your lips and then the sourness kicks in making it okay but the body is completely off, with a watery feel to it. I've double-checked the cork and nothing is amiss there...it's in perfect shape. So this bottle (or maybe the whole barrel) never went into secondary fermentation. I checked some other reviews and there are many mentions of no carbonation they still gave the beer good marks. That is the difference between judging against the style and judging your personal preferences.

What a shame...I was looking for a more affordable kriek and I guess you get what you pay for. I'll have to stick Cantillon and Liefman's when I can afford them. (1,114 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -12.7%

Sour! The scent reminds me of amishland outside of Philly close to where I grew up. It wasn't very pleasing, rather tough to breathe in. But then the taste. The flavors are very much enjoyable. Very sour cherries, smooth mouthfeel, and a dry finish. I'm amazed that something that smells this weird can taste this good. Lambics definitely need some time to grow on me. This one was rough at first, but as I drank a few more small pours, it got better. (451 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is sour, yeasty with hints of dried cherries and musty soil. Color is amber leaning toward orange/red with a well established, firm white head. Flavor is quite sour with dominating notes of rotting oranges and hints of fresh cherries. Mild wood notes, but some cork flavors as well. Not sure of the date on my bottle, but it is probably 2004ish. I feel like this could age amazingly well, but as of now it still needs to sit and mellow out some. (451 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$8.69 750 mL

Appearance:

Pours a crystal clear rose blush spattered with mild carbonation that leads to a thin bright white head.

Aroma:

Faintly musty with a wet sock odor accompanied by a sharp acidic tang of cherries.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Intensely sharp and acidic with fresh fruit flavors that make you pucker up for more. Wet sock sourness continues into the flavor. Lacking in sweetness entirely, this is sour and tart all the way, though not in a bad way. (478 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to biggcb for this...
Appears a hazy orange amber with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild collar in the glass.
Smell is of cork, tart cherries, horseblanket, musty antiques, & old socks.
Taste is of tart, vinegar soaked, sour cherries with mild cork present in the taste.
Mouthfeel is bone dry, mouth puckering, and acidic. (349 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Bottle sampled on 09/26/08 at Night of the Funk. Pours a cloudy red with a small light pink head. Aroma and flavor is quite tart and funky and sour. Some sweet cherry, maybe some fish (?), and acidic notes. Pretty good but a little acidic and there was something odd about it that I couldn't pin down.
7/4/8/3/14 (3.6/5) (320 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -10.7%

The other day I was on the train. I noticed a girl sitting across from me. Older, long legs, casually dressed with an edge, face was okay, and her almost flat hair was a dark, faded crimson red.

I noticed she had a spongy personality as I started a conversation from 4 feet away. She would politely nod and agree with whatever I said. Never, did she ask any questions about me because I had so many for her.

"Where did you come from?"
"How old are you?"
"What side of the bed do you sleep on?"

She responded quickly, "Belgium. Old enough. In the middle."
She piqued my curiosity, so I took a seat next to her just as the train had made its third stop. A quick gust of wind from the open door had wafted her fragrance right below my nose. A very intriguing scent of musty dark cherries, vinegar, and horse blanket. A band-aid was stuck to her right knee. It didn't look painful though.

We got off at the next stop together. I had two more stops to go but I lied just to walk with her. She quickly grabbed me at the moment we passed an alley and pressed against me. By instincts, I kissed her. Our tongues locked tightly and all I could think of was, "Wow. this is sour." Her taste ran out down my throat and out my nose. She'd eaten a farm-fresh meal earlier. I could taste the bread, scrambled eggs and some cranberry sauce.

Her mouth pull back quickly leaving me nothing but the hunger for more. I've never experienced such a velvety, smooth and sensual kiss before. Quickly she hurried away and before I could see where she went she had turned a corner and vanished. I was left with a burning pit in my stomach that could only be neutralized with her. (1,661 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -10.7%

375mL bottle courtesy of TPatuto. I believe this is from 2009. Reviewed on 8/31 from notes.

A: Dark cherry red, appropriately. No lacing, but carbonation freckles swarm the side of the glass.

N: Pronounced cherry and oak. Acidic sourness hits me pretty well. Marionberry, vinegar and acetone. Plum and grape.

T: Very powerful acetic sourness. Dark sour cherry and a heavy amount of tannic oakiness. Definite acetone and vinegar presence. Not a ton of funk which I'm alright with in a fruit lambic. I do have to say this super, super sharp, so drink accordingly.

M: Somewhat oily and prickly.

O: A good fruit lambic in a pinch, but at this point, it's more like a venomous Flanders Red. Or a Rodenbach Grand Cru with an extra dose of sour power. (752 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

On cask at Max's. I love the bottled version of this beer and was really looking forward to this.

Beautiful color, mostly flat, thin ring this is a very pretty kriek. The nose has a great cherry character, leathery, fruity and tannic with a nice lambic backbone. The cherry character is about as far from bright as you can possibly get. The palate opens with a blend of funk, cherries and noticeable sulfur. Rather fart-like, the sulfur gets in the way of enjoyability of the beer. Lots of sour cherry with leather and oak. Moderate vinegar, fruity acidity, this is mildly watery on the finish. Too much acidity for my palate, this is not as good as the bottled version IMO. (676 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle has been cellared two years. Bottle opened with no pop. Nice garnet color. Little/no carbonation.

Smells of vinegar with some cherry fruit.

Tastes like Mother Funker on cherries. Very acetic-could use this to make salad dressing. Not mouth puckering though, and there is a good flavor of cherries.

Body is light, no carbonation, and stickiness doesn't make a good mouthfeel.

Overall, this is too sour and the acetic acid is too strong, detracting from the cherry and funk aspects. Clearly, I didn't do this any favor by cellaring two years. Hope to try this again fresher/on cask. (591 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a gorgeous deep red, with not a hint of carbonation. No bubbles present.

Nose is vibrant sour cherries, vinegar tartness, light solvent-like alcohol note, a bit harsh.

Taste is acidic, vinegar tartness, sour cherry, hints of wet leather and horse blanket, and more solvent alcohol bite at the back of the throat, almost like nail polish remover. Pinchingly dry, this one doesn't mess around.

Mouthfeel is still, but the acidic bite lends some perceived activity. Medium-light body, just a bit oily.

Even with the solvent-like pinch in there, it's hard to stop drinking this one - the hand just keeps going back to the glass no matter what. That said, I think the carbonation in the bottled version does a lot to soften the bite of this one, which seems counter intuitive. Still worthy of a try. (806 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours an orange/amber color, some red hints to it. Basically no head.

Aroma let's you know right away this will be a tart one! Rather acidic, some "barnyard", fruit. Pretty nice overall.

Taste is ok. Not nearly as tart as the nose would suggest. Actually, it's somewhat sweet. A good bit of cherry is also available.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied, slightly syrupy. Carbonation not nearly as nice as I would have suspected. Perhaps this bottle is on it's way out?

Drinkability is moderate. Flavor is interesting, but mouthfeel is horrible. I really wanted this to be great, but I'm not so sure. (603 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Wow! Talk about a kick in the head!

A - red in color with a hint of purple

S - The first whiff out of the bottle smells like any other good lambic. And then the sourness hits you.. and provides a hint of what is to come!

T - Oh my god this is f*cking sour! Definitely the most sour I have ever tasted for under $10. But beyond that, there is fruit and some other complex undercurrents--I'm not really sure what. The restrained sweetness became more apparent once I acclaimated to the incredible tartness.

M - Smoother than the average lambic, but not the smoothest I've ever tasted. Good for it's price.

D - Do you have the stones to drink this? Hanssens Kriek is a lambic that will scream in your face and demand you pay attention. Can you handle it? I dare you!

I'm going right out to buy another bottle. I guess I'm a sucker for punishment, and it's a terrific value at only $9.50 for 750ml. (912 characters)

Oude Kriek from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba