1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Oude Kriek - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude KriekOude Kriek

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Kriek Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev 0%

Not much pop to the cork on this bottle. Reddish brown translucent appearance, no real head on the pour. Slipping dots for lace. Tart aroma, somwhat jam-like with light shoe polish tone. Carbonation is largely spent, but the body is pretty close to medium. Sharp astringency as appropriate, but not over-the-top and with an interesting sweet leathery lingering quality. Leafy with some alkaloids, and for me, not a lot of particularly distinctive cherry qualities. Finishes dry but full and not extremely puckering. I liked this one in drinkability while still retaining authentic qualities.

ADR, Nov 08, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

thanks to my bud yelterdow for schlappin this one on me a few weeks ago... never been a big fan of cherry lambics, but here goes... (cellar temp on an unusually warm october night here in NJ)

eyes...
the hue: inner flesh of plum, clean and consistent to the gaze throughout, solid but nothing to go gaga over

nose...
vinegar burn dryness (in a pleasant way), moldy dry hay with fruit roll ups, cherry cobbler from swanson TV dinners, the dry mold flavor almost smells like cigarette butts at times and others sort of "woodsy" like fungus on a decaying log in a northeast forest after an autumn rain.. OK, obviously this rocks...

taste etc...
much more sour than I expected from the nose (bonus!), immediately you are hit by prickly carbonation on the tongue (unseen in the pour really!), wow.. need .. another.. sip...
ah, now I am getting the amazing cherry aftertaste ... the buds are settling down and getting the subtlety here.. mild mold flavor paves the aftertaste but hides itself below the cherry flavor marvelously.. delicious... this gets better sip by sip, not the sourest lambic and not the sweetest, a very nice balance but yet kicks it up enough in each category for you to take notice.. again I say it, EACH DAMN SIP is better than the next, each reveals a little different character, fullness of cherries, belgian funk, lambic sourness, the sourness and dry finish just beg for more sips.. this is fantastic.

verdict..
bring me more free bottles dan ! Excellent lambic, I am enjoying this way too much, maybe I should pop a cherry... lambic more often...

Ego, Oct 19, 2005
4.93/5  rDev +20.2%

Served at just over fridge temperature into my new Warsteiner stange. Purchased at Home Liquors in Hackensack for $9.99. No freshness date... that would be because you could sit on this for years.

Appearance- Infused Darjeeling tea amber, exceptionally clear. Beautiful cascading as the bubbles fight their way upwards on the pour. Stubborn pink tinged off-white crown sits elegantly atop the surface, remaining a finger thick for minutes afterwards.

I swear to God a fruit fly just appeared in my office out of nowhere...

Smell- Horseblanket and barnyard funk, done better than anything I've tried to date. Close your eyes and you're on the farm, deep in the country... dodging manure with each step. Lingering sour cherry notes in the background, with a teasing sweetness as a counterpoint.

Taste- Wow, how do you improve on this? Bone dry, sour cherries with that barnyard funkiness right off the bat, going into the sweet notes of the fruit as the beer flows over the tongue, and balancing damn near perfectly as the sourness is left behind on the lips and teeth. Totally refreshing and thirst quenching, and complex as hell because of the three year barrel aging. Hugely delicious and amazing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- I have decided to enjoy this 750ml by myself today, to see what temperature and breathing would do to this beer. I am happy to report that, unlike some lambics I've tried, this drinks very smoothly and remains so throughout. Sharp and crisp, the tiny bubbles are perfect for the style and keep the beer lively. I have not paired this with food, and it certainly holds its own. The low ABV allows full enjoyment without reservation or consequence, and I have enjoyed this one completely. Terrific beer, I will always keep a few of these around.

P.S. I just poured the remaining 8 oz. into my glass, resulting in a change in clarity to haze. Sourness has become smoother and even more drinkable.

yelterdow, Sep 11, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

I started this at 54 degrees. This is the color of fresh squeezed Montmorency cherries with the clarity of cloudy vinegar. There’s a silly wisp of froth that melts away and decides to hang out along the edge of the beer leaving lace. Describing these wild Belgian beers can be difficult because they provide an experience beyond any other beer experience. The aroma starts with a bowl of sour cherries. Now rip a cherry sapling out of the ground and pound the cherries with the dirty roots. Then take the bowl into an old, well used horse stable and sit down next to the water trough. The stable is decorated with garlands of blooming cherry branches, and sage and bay leaves. Now breathe deep. You will smell the horses, the straw, the fruit essences, and the well water with herbal and compost overtones. This is so sour my face is twitching. I think I taste sodden old barn beams. I taste green apples and green plums, wild cherries, pineapple sage and shiso, and sour whey. Whew, this beer is a challenge. I think it cries for shellfish and seafood. There’s body to it like an overripe cheese, melting and dripping with pungency thinned with sparkling sour juices. This kriek is an adventure that ends upstream at the source of a beer style that is inspirational.

gbontrag, Aug 17, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +8%

Poured at Toronado from a 750mL into the proper Hanssens tumbler.

Pours a brilliant ruby red with a minute head that quickly fizzes out to nothing. Despite the color, this is probably the most unremarkable part of an otherwise fantastic beer.

The smell is pure funk. Super complex, with hints of wet hay, horse blanket, a bit of copper, vinegar, mildew. If you think hard enough, you can pick out nearly anything. This isn't funky, its FUNKAY! Oh yeah, there is a splash of cherry in there as well.

Good lord! Pucker on the first sip. Super tart and acidic, sweet cherries with a vinegar-like acidity. Also funky, but with no taste of metal whatsoever. Finishes bone dry. No hops to speak of.

This is as drinkable as it gets. If you like lambics, this is a sure fire way to go. Not on the beginners side like Lindemans, but also not exclusively for the hard core geueze lovers. Simply awesome.

axisjones, Jun 13, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

One of my first real lambics, quite a surprise. Pours a cranberry juice red, rose red, virtually no head but a little lace, some proteins floating around. Smells like sour grapes, the wet horse smell, classic lambic! Tastes like sour candy, the sourness is right up front, then move to sweet candy flavor and sour fruit, with a very tart finish, a tear jerker. Mouthfeel was pretty light with good carbonation, very interesting, not sure if lambics are my style but pretty good, thanks sammy.

Viggo, May 30, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Another first for me. Picked up at Kahn's in Indy along some old favorites.

Upon finishing my exit interview at college i returned to my now empty apartment and popped open this brew to celebrate. It pours very dead. A flat darkish red copper with absolutely no head at all but aroma seemed right on. A lot of tart and funk are easily detectable in the nose the dark cherries take a little while to sneak up. Taste matches the nose but a little hint of vinegar was present that left me perplexed. Mouthfeel was a little sticky as well. Not a bad beer but as long as its priced the same as my oude beersell krieks, I doubt I will be revisiting this one much.

soper2000, May 26, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

From notes, Pours a pale, pink color with a finger of head that fell to lightly coat the beer. The nose was Sour and tart, with a bit of acidity with sour cherry and a slight fruity sweetness. The flavor was almost puckering sour, tart and funkey initially that moved to a sweet and sour cherry with slight creamyness to it. The feel was thin to moderate with a moderate carbonation. It left some sticky spit on the back of my throat as I drank it. Very good beer. It was refreshing, not too sour. Very clean and crisp. I liked it.

kmpitz2, May 25, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +9%

Some Krieks are bland syrupy offerings concocted of not-very-good geueze charged with fruit concentrate. Well, this stuff is quite different. No sweetness at all, it's really quite tart, and the underlying quality of the oude geueze used in its production is there to taste and enjoy. Highly reccommended (with the proviso of course that you have to like this sort of thing in the first place!)

By the way I bought a case of the 750cc bottles from the brewery itself which is well worth a visit. But be advised that they don't open on Fridays until the afternoon, which is not what it says on the web-site.

downes51, May 22, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured a murky copper-red with only a lace cap. Nose was nice: berries, musty banana, wet horse blanket. Puckering mouth feel...this Kreik has more of a sour decernment than a tart berry profile, musty malty body is eclipsed by the sourness....finish is puckering sour...after a few sips you appreciate it more...this is well made but I prefer rodenbach.

pootz, Mar 30, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Orange-red appearance. Very smooth, not harsh on palate, not too sour, was expecting harsher. Sweet finsish. Nutty cherry and cidery aroma. A fine concoction of woodiness,hay, lemon and grapefruit and vinegar . Palate cleaner. Full mouthfeel. Real cherry?

Sammy, Mar 30, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Forced pour into wine glass yields a nice glowing amber color and a soapy beige head. Woody, barnyardy character with a good dosage of sour cherry essence. Very mouthpuckering and tart, which I find equate to greatness in a lambic. It really hits the salivary glands, yet an oud bruin-like maltiness is maintained through the sourness. A bit syrupy in mouthfeel, but not overwhelming. Very noteworthy and drinkable, finishing dry and cleansing with residual sour cherry-laden acidity.

crookedhalo, Mar 26, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearence: Pours a hazy reddish orange copper with a creamy but small white head,

Smell: The smell is a strong sour cherry smell. Incredibly fruity.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. This is an incredibly juicy lambic. The cherry flavor isn't as fizzy as normal lambics, but it makes up for it sourness and tartness. It's incredibly balanced without missing any key notes. The mouthfeel is full-bodied.

Drinkability and Overall: I really like Kriek Lambics, and this one is killer. This is one of the better lambics I've ever had. Incredibly smooth, tart, but highly drinkable. This is really one to try if you like lambics. This is new beer #6 of my session today, and it's incredible.

santoslhalper, Mar 13, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Hanssens Oude Kriek pours in with just a litle bit of foam. Uhhm is it a beer? Has a beautifull orange/brown/red colour.
Smell is oak, oak and further some sourness. Well it always takes up some time to get into the taste of a fine kriek but this one is realy hard. Lots of oak and sourness and of cherries not much left. Good if you like extremes but for me just to sour. And even with the sourness not fresh but just full of oak and muffy smells... and then after more then 10 minutes analyzing taste and smell I got the taste, finaly cherries comming up and enjoying the Brew, finding the malt yeah its a good beer.

paterlodie, Jan 13, 2005
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Muddy red color is a bit off-putting, and seems a bit hazy, too. Not the most glorious lambic I've seen, but it keeps its head better than many. I think I'm being generous, but I'm not sure.

Smells musty and slightly of brettanomyces and cherries. Slight at times but fully a lambic in its own right. Could use more time to bring out complexity.

Taste is, for a lambic, highly musty and toasty, creating a good backbone to pair the just-enough amount of fruit. As with the nose, this could use more time for the Brett character to kick in and brings its wildness to the mix. Still, its sour and drinkable, balance and lovely with a few shades short of being a more powerful and dynamic beer.

And yet its moderate balance of the characteristic lambic notes creates the more moderate experience needed for quaffing. A nice kriek that I'll go for again, at least the best available in Michigan without the presence of Cantillon.

nomad, Nov 01, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a lightly copper colored beer that has shades of pink and red. No head whatsoever.

There is a musky, earthy aroma that is woody, dank, and almost malodorous. I'm not sure if this how it's supposed to smell, but it's definitely unusual.

The taste is exceptionally tart with hints of vinegar and sour cherries. I was initially overwhelmed by the strange flavor but eventually wanred up to it as I drank.

The mouthfeel is a tad bit too sour for me. I feel like I pucker as I take this into my mouth. The texture of this beer is just too tart for my taste. This is a very dry, almost winelike quality in the mouth.

I supppose I'm just not evolved enough to appreciate the finer points of this style. Perhaps a little more exposure to this style will open my mind. I didn't score this lower because I felt like this is the way this style is intended.

filabrazilia, Oct 30, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a clear, pinkish orange body with a persistent, and delicate collar of creamy, pink hued lace.
Complex aroma nails the style perfectly, with oak, woodsy and musty yeast, fruity tartness, and tannic acidity.
Mouthfeel begins sour and acidic, but evolves into a smooth and satiny, dry sherry character as it warms.
Taste is dry and tart, with an earthy, barnyard yeastiness. Very tangy and sherry like. Fruity character is dry, without noticeable sweetness, and I could detect no cherry flavors.
Very nice for style, and pleasantly drinkable. I would have given this Lambic much higher scores if some cherry aroma and flavor were present.

merlin48, Oct 25, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

My first true Belgian Kriek. Pours a thick amber with a pinkish tint around the sides, a nice pinkish white head with tiny bubbles. It's picturesque. A brief aroma of sweet fruit followed by a horrible barnyard aroma. Sweaty horse blanket, yes indeed. I don't care for it at all, but this is what I was told to expect for the style. The flavor is different starting with a sweet ketchup (yes I said ketchup), followed by a strong tart cherry/crab apple flavor. It finishes slighty sweaty with tiny champagne like fizz. This is definitely not my type of beer, but I believe it to be good for what it is. Realistically one and out.

redmosquito, Oct 19, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Caged and corked green 750 - Upon opening the first wiff of barnyard must, acidic tannin, and tart citrus pulp float through the air giving a familiar raw presense of a true lambic. At which I'm still trying to appreciate and not having much luck at.
Looks like a rosy orange kool-aid with a slight pinkish/white bubbly egding around the top that sits very briefly. Aroma is as mentioned above with the added sweet and tart cherry soda mixed in - now that its breathing some in the glass. But the barnyard and must thing is hangin' strong with a measureable medicinal edge in its corners. Earthly dirty and smokey even. A keeper for sure in the nose.
Taste is more so metallic and medicinal then I was hoping. Mostly a mellow front with a light fruitish cherry and tart start, middle gains some acidic citrus and metals with touches of the earth and musty barnyard, cherry finishes it off in the end with a grab of added cherry flavor and acid washed rocks. Not overly complex nor is it overly tasty, just alot of acidity and tart. Would like to see a bit more cherry make its way through all that. But thats just me.
Glad to have tried it, but not something I'd be willing to go after again.

tavernjef, Oct 11, 2004
2.4/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

With the puddle of drool collecting on my chin as I smell this beer -- a near-perfect display of ripe, earthy acid and hell garden fruit -- I expect the best. And though the beer finishes long and deep, it's tortured by an overwhelming taste of iron -- fresh pig's blood -- that sticks to the tongue, turning uric and fecal. The acidity and dryness, though intense, are well balanced making this one of the more drinkable, yet authentic, lambics in the world.

This is a style of decay, but Oude Kriek has gone too far without any caution or reserve, filling my mouth with the corpal weight of lost souls hanging shallow in the fog -- under the volcano, where death sends the unknown and unloved.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Oct 04, 2004
3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

The beer dispenses from the 375ml green wired and corked bottle a deep luminous orange with a minimal in size head that is frothy and the color and off white, the remaining lace a velum like film to cover the class. Nose sweet with a tart backing, fresh and pleasing to the eye and nose, start is sweet with the top light in feel. Finish is stinging in its acidity, sour, vinous, exceedingly dry, a drinkable beer.

Gusler, Sep 18, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +11%

Nice color reminiscent of a certain drie fonteinen framboos, dirty brownish red, but at the same time orangey with a light haze. Shy off-white ring though. Rather mild aroma, musty, barnyardy. Not as complex as many other lambics as far as the nose go.Very phenolic, horsey and sweaty. On the tongue though, the yeast expresses itself in a serenade of funkiness. Give me a shot of this someone. Highly intense mouth presence. Multiple levels of acidity, all at once citric, acetic, lactic and balsamic. Funky cherries, obvious cask wood, horsey, hay, must, lemon and grapefruit juice. Soft carbonation, medium body lets the flavors express rather than stealing the show. Almost tear bringing taste.

Rastacouere, Aug 01, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours out deep red, almost like cranberry juice with a thin head which dissipated quickly. The smoked sour cherry scent was in evidence, and was strong.

Taste is very much like the flavour, sour with a faint rememberence of smoke lurking in the background and a massive tart bite to go with it. I'm getting all sorts of dark berries: black berries, cherries, cranberries. A strong, distinct flavour!

Mouthfeel, well, not bad, but nothing remarkable, an adequate body and amount of carbonation, but nothing that leapt out at me. Drinkability was quite good, not sure how alcohol is in these, but I have the feeling that the flavour is masking a high content, easy to drink in any case.

Pretty tasty stuff, but a dessert drink to be sure, and for my tastes, a little expensive for what you get (though understandable as it's imported and aged 3 years), but definitely worth trying at least once.

CortexBomb, Jul 19, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Dark orange amber in color; no head, no lace

Sour aromas with a touch of orange, slight sugary sweetness; very similar to a SweetTart. The flavor is very sour with a a lip-puckering finish; strong lemon flavors. Also present, many berry flavors--particularly cranberry. Like sucking a lemon, the aftertaste is powerfully sour.

This is far more tart than other krieks I've tried, but still delicious.

smcolw, Jun 25, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Nice red pour, with the expected white dollop of foam.
Very smoky, sour smell, with a buried cherry presence.
Excellent flavor, something all BA's need to try at least once. Astringent dominance, with a rounded mouthfeel makes for a very special beer.
Definitely a "treat" beer that you respect and drink in low quantities.

nortmand, Jun 07, 2004