Oude Kriek - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude KriekOude Kriek

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Kriek Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours an orange/amber color, some red hints to it. Basically no head.

Aroma let's you know right away this will be a tart one! Rather acidic, some "barnyard", fruit. Pretty nice overall.

Taste is ok. Not nearly as tart as the nose would suggest. Actually, it's somewhat sweet. A good bit of cherry is also available.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied, slightly syrupy. Carbonation not nearly as nice as I would have suspected. Perhaps this bottle is on it's way out?

Drinkability is moderate. Flavor is interesting, but mouthfeel is horrible. I really wanted this to be great, but I'm not so sure.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

375 ml Brenda picked this up for me today at the Coop for $7... poured into my Koningshoeven tulip.. Edit: probably should have used a flute.. oh well.

No head.. descent collar.. Brew is hazy dark orange/pink.

Aroma is in no particular order.. musky.. horsey.. funky and fruity... I can probably only pick out cherry because I saw the label.

Flavor is very approachable for a kriek.. more fruit forward than funky.. still pretty sour and fruity.. but there is a shortlasting sweetness that ties the yeasty funks to the fruits and into the tart. Sour cherries and subtle barnyard.. Finish is sour without being vinegary... Body is light and carbonation is amazing.. I don't remember liking this as much as the cantillon.. but it is still fantastic... I am just damn happy that Boise finally has a proper fruit lambic.... Cheers to Matt and Ashton!! Thanks.

4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

update 2008 purchase date 07/2011 drank date

Still no carbonation but has a beautiful stinky cherry smell, excellent sour cherry flavor, real shit right here. HANSSENS!

375ml bottle with no date, $6.49. Nice rose color with zero head and close to zero carbonation. The aromas are of musty, earthy cherries The flavor is more cherries, sour,tart, actually pretty good. The only problem I seem to have with krieks (including this one) is that the acidity is a little high for me.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Reddish amber with a thin white head. Aromas of wet earth (mulch) cherries and barnyard. Very bracing acidity in the mouth, more so with the cherry flavor. Horse blankety and tart, but with s superb balance of funk, fruit, and acidity. Medium body with a sharp tangy sweet tart finish. Best Kriek Lambic yet.

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Kriek's just don't get better than this one. If they do, then they are well beyond my realm of appreciation. The pour delivers a promising Valentine red color, sparkling clarity and a head formation that's caught somewhere between creamy and spritzy. Aromas of pure lambic tartness, wrapped in berries and cherries dot the aroma profile, while giving a soft wheat, barley maltiness. Flavors are intensly cherries, vineousness, acidity, woodsy, white grapes, kiwi, and lemon zest. Mouth puckering astringency awaits in the mouthfeel, but totally expected. Quite efforvescent to keep the beer powdery, dry, and palate-cleansing. The beer basically evaporates in the mouth, leaving a tart hint of cherries and lambic tartness. Thanks Nathan.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

375ml bottle, corked and caged. This is another beer that I have had a couple of times but haven't reviewed. Pours out a bright reddish-pink. No head to speak of but plenty of bubbles making their way to the top.

Smell is classic Kriek. Sour lemon and cherries. Raspberries, acid, and mushroom earthiness. Taste isn't as sour as I remember. Dry, tartness in the beginning then some sweeter cherry notes comes through. The aftertaste is more sour with pickle juice notes. A bit "clean" for a kriek but not in the bad way.

A wonderful beer in my opinion. Would be perfect with a vinaigrette salad or desert course.

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Wow! This beer is sour! Definitely the most tart beer that I have ever tried. I thought it would mellow-out as it warmed and the sugars broke down, but no luck. The sour-ness just keep coming and coming and kicking me in the butt!

Luckily the meal that I had it with (rabbit in a nice wine reduction) was an excellent pairing that made the beer tolerable. A must-try, but be sure to have it with good food.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

375ml Bottle
$5.99
Sam's Marcey

Hanssen's Oude Kriek opens with a healthy POP! Pours like cranberry juice, with a slight haze, into my flute a still liquid. There's an occasional large carbonation bubble rising to the surface but that's few and far between. A minimal white bubbly head formed on the pour but quickly fell to a tiny micro bubble ring around the glass. This kriek looks very refreshing.

I'm really digging the aroma on this one. A little earthy with a touch of funk upfront that quickly segues into tart cherries. There's a hint of sweetness but it's well in the rear. This lambic certainly focuses more on the tartness than some other available lambics and I salute Hanssens for that.

Solid respectable tartness right upfront makes me pucker immediately. The sourness is in check though and combines with a touch of sweetness on the swallow. There's some earthiness but it stays in the background and lets the tart cherries take the lead without being overbearing.

This lambic is all at once spritzy, sour, tart, light bodied and most importantly, refreshing. This lambic finishes bone dry and leaves you wanting more. Although I'm dry on the swallow there's a residual cherriness that lingers long after.

This is without a doubt an easy drinker. Like I said before it's very refreshing. This 375ml is enough for me in one sitting but that's because there's only so much sour I can drink at any given moment.

Although I'm not very well traveled when it comes to lambics this is, without a doubt, an enjoyable drinker. Whether this is a world class cherry lambic, I have yet to see but the journey should be an enjoyable one.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a foggy reddish hue. No head. Nose is antiseptic and funky like I want the lambics to be. Ahhhh. Pure heaven. It's been too long since I have had a lambic. Oh how I have missed thee, my love. Mildly sour, but not overpowering. The fruit tones caress the tongue. Beautiful earthy tones. Feel is very, very smooth. Fairly full carbonation and the liquid is well bodied. Like I said. It's been some time since I have had a lambic. Now I remember why I love them so much. (actually...I never really forgot...how could I have?)

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

WOW! Had to practically pry the cork out of this one which was unexpected. Poured an amazing ruby grapefruit with little head that faded and left a ring of foam around the flute. I just don't know if I have seen a beer that was more elegant, exotic, amazing, etc.

Smell was sour and tart, perhaps my senses aren't refined enough but i didn't really pick up any cherry in the nose.

Upfront, taste is very sour and tart with a surprising hint, just a hint, of cherry sweetness way at the back. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, carbonation prickling at the tongue--so amazing. It really is incredible that this is beer. Drinkability is good--the beer actually makes my mouth water and want more. Its a shame there was only one 375 mL bottle. Oh well, maybe I will get another one at Abe's for just over four bucks! A steal at that price. Simply amazing. Prefer this over the Geuze which can get overpoweringly sour.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

375 mL corked & caged bottle.

Pours a nice ruby color with little to no head. Strong, sour aroma of, predictably, cherries, with farmhouse hay and wood. Crisp, nice, sour in the mouth. Finishes very tart on the tongue, nice and clean. I really appreciate the strength of the tartness. An excellent sample.

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Large corked and caged bottle.
Poured this into a snifter, crimson with some golden highlights, a quickly fading light pink head.
That aroma typical of lambics, vinegary, woody, earthy, yeasty, not exactly moldy but close, with cherry and other fruits all over, all suggesting the sourness to come.
(and) It comes full force; crispy on the mouth, tangy, tart, puckering all the way, with multiple fruity, sugary notes in between that get swamped by the tartness over and over again. Layers of flavor.
Not exactly a session beer, but a very flavorful, tart lambic, one to be had many times.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Enjoyed this beer at Hop Haus in Chicago, very traditional lambic. Pours a crimson hue, somewhat gritty but typical of the style. Very sour, but still had an easy drinkability for those of us out there that truely admire and enjoy the puckering ability of this style. This was my first experience with this Kriek and I was extremely pleasantly surprised. I will definitely purchase this beer again and will consciously seek it out for at least a great start or finish to a tasting night.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 750ml glass into a standard pint glass.

Obtained from a new bar in the area, Chappy's. Way to give the first impression Chappy's, giving me a pint glass with that ultra expensive huge beer. Great selection, but not too up on the beer/glass relations knowledge. This could well be my first time drinking a Kriek from a pint glass.

Appearance- Light red, pinkish french beige colour with absolutely no head at all. The cork came off with a pop, but no detection of carbonation other than that.

Smell- Belgian sour cherry with a hint of funk. Very much the smell of a true kriek.

Taste- Sour cherries and thick malt with acids taking over the malt presence quickly. Very acidic, very funky and dry. The dryness keeps me coming back to the glass, and the sourness keeps me wanting more.

Mouthfeel- Acidic and almost numbing on the tongue. Quite sour but good with the extra cherry mouthfeel. A fine desert if you like sour. Carbonation was there in the mouthfeel, but not in the appearance.

Drinkability- Very good for me, but near impossible for others. I would rate this drinkability higher than most. Hopefully the ABV wouldn't be too overpowering. I found it quite soothing.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured out of the bottle, this is an opaque red color, with a minimal head and no lacing on the glass. The smell is tart. The taste is complex, with a tart green apple flavor, a vinegery sourness, and a cherry sweetness all present, yet somehow blending together into a very interesting whole. The mouthfeel is refreshing and light. This tastes like a combination of a fruit beer and a Flemish sour ale. Drinkeability depends on how much one appreciates sourness in a beer. I don't think I could drink a pitcher of it, but by the glass, it is quite refreshing and delicious.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Nice rose color with active carbonation yet very little head.

S- Sour, funkiness dominates with great barnyard and cheese-like aromas. Providing a strong backing to the fantastic tart cherry smell. Very nice.

T- Puckeringly sour, enough so that it is difficult to focus on anything else (although that's not really a negative for me). The cherry flavor is much more evident than the nose would suggest. Tart cherries throughout (very tart), accompanied by that intense vinegary sourness.

M- On the thin side, which is fine for this beer. Could use a little more carbonation I suppose, but I'm nitpicking.

D- Very good. Not as amazingly drinkable as Cantillon, but I'm having no problem downing this bottle.

Another winner of a traditional lambic. This and Cantillon are the only "traditional" fruit lambics I've had and they're both similar with their intense sour flavors. Cantillon may have the slight edge on this one in a couple of categories, but they're both great. If you're a fan of traditional lambics, definitely seek this one out. Recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours clear pinkish golden copper (even its color is complex!) and offers a white ring sustained by fine beading from the bottom of my antique champagne flute.

Delightful mix of Brett. sp. aromas suggesting vinous wild cherry cider with acetic notes splashed on a musty wet horse blanket.

Tart cherry rounds a little mid palate before the tanins and traditional high Lambic acidity ( >1% by weight Titratable Acids = 10,000+ ppm) dry the mouth.

The microflora (Lacto, Pedio, Acetobacter and unknown Enterobacters etc.) of Hanssens oak casks have served up a great Kriek. Tastes are unique and suggest a fine sherry.

Although no showy head arose from my gentle poor, Chose to keep the dregs in tact along the sides of the domed champagne bottle's bottom.

As with most of what I drink from Belgium, Hanssens Oude Kriek stirs my appetite and sends me looking for a slice of apple pie from the kitchen.

Only better when dug out of the cellars surrounding Brussels with a meal from a local cafe.

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Brought a 750 ml bottle to a friend's house to have with dessert after a bbq. The homeowners were novices to lambics, so I was interested to gauge their response. Split the bottle four ways into white wine glasses. It had an earthy, cherry, and sour smell once I popped the cork. It poured a hazy red into the glasses. The taste was very tart at first, since I was expecting a bit of mellowness since this was a 3 year aged bottle. Once it warmed up some, the tartness grew on me. I think the rookies took a liking to it, and I was glad to introduce them to a new style of beer. Overall, it was a decent example of an oude kriek at a pretty good price ($10.75).

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Smaller bottle, cage and corked, opens with a moderate "pop", pours murky, low carbonation, dark apricot in color. Nose here is the always appreciated funky, sour, woodsy thing. This is a crisply sour brew, surely not for everybody, but lambic lovers will get into this one, plenty sharp, nasty sour notes that get lambic enjoyers (and I'm one of them!) excited. Some mild fruit in the background, cherry, strawbery, but this is about enjoying the sour goodness that this one delivers. Belgian lovers rejoice and go get some of this stuff...

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

I found this beer at Union Jack on the Manatawny. I was talking to Tom about my love for sours and he asked me if I happened to have this beer. What a nice addition it made to our sour beer tasting. I had the opportunity to share it with phnphilly, Slatetank, Risser09, and gottajiboo2.

Sampled next Beersel Oude Kriek, this beer was almost too hot to drink. WOOWWEEE!! That burns =) Hanssens Oude Kriek is not for the meek of heart or palate or stomach holy smokes.

Appearance: This is a beautiful brew. It pours a luminous red brown color with a decent white head and lots of carbonation activity.

Smell: Intensely huge cherry aroma. Massive amounts of hot sour coming from this brew. Slatetank pointed out this one exclaims "Take no prisoners" from an arm length away I can smell it coming.

Taste: who-ha! RA! ARGH! man. OH MY! That is hot. It is like atomic fireball candies we had as kids. Very very intense. The vinegar like sourness is so intense it slides very slowly through the mouth and by the finish it is quite enjoyable, and I think the next sip might burn less but... alas it is the same thing.

Mouthfeel: Hot sharp acidity burned like vinegar and whiskey.

Drinkability: I enjoyed my share but good god I don't need any more for at least a week or maybe a month =) I do like sours. This one may be out of my league yet.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a brilliant ruby with a strawberry colored head into my La Chouffe tulip style glass. The head is somewhat fizzy but leaves lacing and leaves a ring around the edge of the beer that lasts the entire session.

Aroma is sour cherries.

Flavor is sour cherries as well. Other red fruits like raspberry and sterawberry seem to lend a hand as well. Nice and tart and crisp.

I am growing fond of these sour lambic and gueze beers. Everyone warned me that once I start it will be nearly impossible to start and to expect my beer budget to increase. Well, everyone was right damn you!!! This is a nice tart and crisp beer that would be perfect on a warm spring or summer day.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Unknown Vintage
I love this!
Huge pungent aroma engulfs your personal space only moments after popping the cork.
This has an artful apricot body with a tight, spritzy head with delicate retention. Nicely carbonated, and very livey, just like a champagne. This really looks amazing in a stange.
Smell is not so powerful that it knocks your socks off, but it does have slight worn sock appeal. Very mellow and sublime, though it does have a funky cheese aroma going, but not to worry.
Taste bowls me over - it follows the nose. Intensely tart, but with a finish that is easy and enjoyable. I detect no cherry. Gueze-light.
To me, this could and should be brought out weekly. It has a clean, but meal-like approach. Filling, and somehow mouth- watering. Very complex, and you don't have to be a beerman to enjoy it.

3.78/5  rDev -8%

A: Saffron color with rootbeer highlights. Full head made up of medium sized bubbles with a pink tint.

S: Dry oak, ascorbic acid, faint cherries and musk

T: Begins dry, but not overly. Cherry then pops up but its really not over the top at all, one of the less aggresive cherry flavored krieks I've had. Sour tang is fairly straight forward as well. An earthy wood base adds nice stability. Finishes buttery and sour with hints of cherry.

M: Medium body, little fizzy.

D: One of the most balanced krieks I've had. Very easy to drink.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Undated bottle pours a bright orange red honey color, with a two finger head. Minimal retention gives way to a thin blanket of foam on top of the glass. Zero lacing.

Aroma is well balanced, much more so than I expected. Definite tart/acid presence, with a good amount of funk mixed in, but also has a bit of sweet cherry aroma mixed into the back. Interesting, and invites me for a sip, where I find that the...

Flavor is equally as well balanced. When the beer first hits your tongue, you think "good lord this is tart!" As the beer flows around your mouth, you do begin to pick up some of the slightly sweet flavors from the cherries. Devoid of hops, but it is tart, spritsy, dry, and bubbly.... just the way a kriek should be. Not overly funky, although there is some definite brett character in here. Pretty nice overall. Mouthfeel is thin yet smooth. Drinkability is decent over all. It's not as tart or funky as some, but still tart enough to make this a sipper.

Overall, this is a nice aperitif beer, with some great flavors. Well rounded overall, and a great example of a true kriek. Perhaps not a great beer to choose as someone's first experience in the lambic/oude category, but good nonetheless.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

I had a bottle at Deus in Ghent.

Appearance: Pours a hazy red with a fizzy, pinkish-orange head that fades to a sparse ring.

Smell: Sweet cherries, acidic sourness and lambic funkiness. Swirling, like it does for most lambics, brings out the funk.

Taste: Intensely sour with sweet cherries that do little to cut the sourness in the center. The finish is earthy.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, low carbonation and intensely dry.

Drinkability: Definitely too tart to drink a lot of.

Oude Kriek from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba