Oude Kriek - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude KriekOude Kriek

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Kriek Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Another fine artisan ale from this Belgian brewery. Pours a redwood color with a silky tan head. The nose has tart cherries, sweet malts, oak and funk. The taste is a nice balance between oak, manure, sour funk and sweet cherries. Crisp body drinks well. Pairs well with a fish and game.

3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

I think this is bottle is brewed in 2005.

The colour is deep red-brown, the liquid almost clear. The minimal head disappears quickly, leaving no lacing.

The smell is tart with notes of vinegar, yeast, earthy hints and a sweet touch of cherry candy.

The taste is dry and tart with the expected notes of minerals, vinegar, iodine, salt and earthy-chemical notes as well as dry flavours of sour cherries, cherry candy and hips. The aftertaste is sour-tart with metallic bitter flavours and an artificial flavour of cherries.

The carbonation is medium strong; medium sized bubbles. The liquid is dry and a little light, yet sticky.

A little too tart for a kriek, I think.

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle sampled on 09/26/08 at Night of the Funk. Pours a cloudy red with a small light pink head. Aroma and flavor is quite tart and funky and sour. Some sweet cherry, maybe some fish (?), and acidic notes. Pretty good but a little acidic and there was something odd about it that I couldn't pin down.
7/4/8/3/14 (3.6/5)

1.67/5  rDev -59.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pours a nice, dark red. the color of ripe cherries... and blood.

Smell: Extremely funky. Smells like limburger cheese mixed with old gym socks on top of a stale baguette.

Taste: Very, very sour cherries with the acidity of vinegar. Once the wild cherry flavor goes through, the taste of bad durians, limburger cheese, aged goat cheese, and socks after they've been on a guy who's run the marathon all blended together and served on a toasted baguette surfaces again. I haven't had an aftertaste this bad on my palette since I threw up after drinking too much wine at a wine-and-really-eclectic-pungent-cheese party.

Overall: I've had krieks before that I thought were too sour for my taste but this one is so acidic it could probably put a hole through your skin. I couldn't tolerate more than a couple sips.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Local beer store had these labeled for 4.99 for a 750ml. Done deal. Decanted snobbishly into my Reissdorf kolsch glass.

A: Pours a hazy cherry color. Somewhere in between red and brown. Minimal slightly reddish white head.

S: Mmmmm. Sweet funk. More acidic and tart in the nose than anything else but I love me some barnyard. Overripe cherries are in the mix as well.

T: DAMN. That is tart. My tart beer glands are swollen with glee! Beyond the intense tartness of which there is a TON there is a nice sweetness from the cherries. Finishes a little on the dry side. Sort of a one trick pony but I love that trick.

M: Light but sticky body. The acidic quality is noticeable.

D: Wow. I split the 750 but could have easily drank it by myself. This brewery does not fuck around when it comes to sour or tart. I gave the Gueze to my dad and he nearly threw up and thought I played a joke on him. The breweries air has more bugs in it than a stray dog. Worth trying.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a flat looking ruby cherry colour with little to no head. To be expected I guess.

Brilliant Kriek aromas of cherry and sour stink. Has a ton of "poo" to go with some more barnyard/feral notes. Farmy, fruity and spicy with hints of leather, tar and DMS. Very complex. Very good stuff.

Sour sour cherry dominates the palate. This is long and lasting in flavour, with a very strong sour edge. Very tart to begin with, yet it mellows with time with strong fruit flavours of grape and under ripe red fruits. Good flavour that expands over time/warmth. Develops a darker edge, more oak, leather and a salty finish.

Good drop and a good example of the style.

2.9/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours a dark cherry/ ruby red with thin pink head that quickly dissipates. Funky sour aroma with sweet cherry juice, cherries and syrup. Very puckering and vinuous. Sweet cherry syrup flavor that stays sour throughout with a very dry and way too acidic finish.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a really clear tea color with only 1/2 of finger of white suds.
Smell is like a bunch of cherries that have rotted into a very sour mash. I am getting a sugar with a very slight hop. No malt but am hoping there is.
Taste is smoked cherries. I get a smokey taste right before the sour cherry then I get a spicy aftertaste with a mellow maltiness with a dark cherry aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is superb with the lingering of the sour going on for quite a while.
Drinkability would be a 5 if I could get this locally.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Deep red color, some sediment, light head

S - Cherry is very pronounced, funky

T - Sour cherry, very acidic, hints of oak

M - Bigger body than expected, light head

I was expecting as delicious cherry lambic, I wasn't dissapointed. It was more acidic than expected. A possible aperitif

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Very clear looking-amber in color with a very slight pink tinge to it. Extremely funky aroma-heavy black pepper and spicey aroma. Sour laundry thats been left in the washer for a few days comes to mind! Huge peppery blast of sourness flavor wise. Tastes like burnt horseradish. I find no real fruit characteristics in here anywhere. Good mouthfeel-the sourness really creates a zing on the tongue. Very different and enjoyable. On a personal level I would give it a 2 or 2.5 but that's because it isnt my thing beer wise. Freakin unigue for sure! A must try for any beer enthusiest no matter what your preference.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours an orange/amber color, some red hints to it. Basically no head.

Aroma let's you know right away this will be a tart one! Rather acidic, some "barnyard", fruit. Pretty nice overall.

Taste is ok. Not nearly as tart as the nose would suggest. Actually, it's somewhat sweet. A good bit of cherry is also available.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied, slightly syrupy. Carbonation not nearly as nice as I would have suspected. Perhaps this bottle is on it's way out?

Drinkability is moderate. Flavor is interesting, but mouthfeel is horrible. I really wanted this to be great, but I'm not so sure.

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

375 ml Brenda picked this up for me today at the Coop for $7... poured into my Koningshoeven tulip.. Edit: probably should have used a flute.. oh well.

No head.. descent collar.. Brew is hazy dark orange/pink.

Aroma is in no particular order.. musky.. horsey.. funky and fruity... I can probably only pick out cherry because I saw the label.

Flavor is very approachable for a kriek.. more fruit forward than funky.. still pretty sour and fruity.. but there is a shortlasting sweetness that ties the yeasty funks to the fruits and into the tart. Sour cherries and subtle barnyard.. Finish is sour without being vinegary... Body is light and carbonation is amazing.. I don't remember liking this as much as the cantillon.. but it is still fantastic... I am just damn happy that Boise finally has a proper fruit lambic.... Cheers to Matt and Ashton!! Thanks.

4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

update 2008 purchase date 07/2011 drank date

Still no carbonation but has a beautiful stinky cherry smell, excellent sour cherry flavor, real shit right here. HANSSENS!

375ml bottle with no date, $6.49. Nice rose color with zero head and close to zero carbonation. The aromas are of musty, earthy cherries The flavor is more cherries, sour,tart, actually pretty good. The only problem I seem to have with krieks (including this one) is that the acidity is a little high for me.

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Reddish amber with a thin white head. Aromas of wet earth (mulch) cherries and barnyard. Very bracing acidity in the mouth, more so with the cherry flavor. Horse blankety and tart, but with s superb balance of funk, fruit, and acidity. Medium body with a sharp tangy sweet tart finish. Best Kriek Lambic yet.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Kriek's just don't get better than this one. If they do, then they are well beyond my realm of appreciation. The pour delivers a promising Valentine red color, sparkling clarity and a head formation that's caught somewhere between creamy and spritzy. Aromas of pure lambic tartness, wrapped in berries and cherries dot the aroma profile, while giving a soft wheat, barley maltiness. Flavors are intensly cherries, vineousness, acidity, woodsy, white grapes, kiwi, and lemon zest. Mouth puckering astringency awaits in the mouthfeel, but totally expected. Quite efforvescent to keep the beer powdery, dry, and palate-cleansing. The beer basically evaporates in the mouth, leaving a tart hint of cherries and lambic tartness. Thanks Nathan.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

375ml bottle, corked and caged. This is another beer that I have had a couple of times but haven't reviewed. Pours out a bright reddish-pink. No head to speak of but plenty of bubbles making their way to the top.

Smell is classic Kriek. Sour lemon and cherries. Raspberries, acid, and mushroom earthiness. Taste isn't as sour as I remember. Dry, tartness in the beginning then some sweeter cherry notes comes through. The aftertaste is more sour with pickle juice notes. A bit "clean" for a kriek but not in the bad way.

A wonderful beer in my opinion. Would be perfect with a vinaigrette salad or desert course.

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

Wow! This beer is sour! Definitely the most tart beer that I have ever tried. I thought it would mellow-out as it warmed and the sugars broke down, but no luck. The sour-ness just keep coming and coming and kicking me in the butt!

Luckily the meal that I had it with (rabbit in a nice wine reduction) was an excellent pairing that made the beer tolerable. A must-try, but be sure to have it with good food.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

375ml Bottle
$5.99
Sam's Marcey

Hanssen's Oude Kriek opens with a healthy POP! Pours like cranberry juice, with a slight haze, into my flute a still liquid. There's an occasional large carbonation bubble rising to the surface but that's few and far between. A minimal white bubbly head formed on the pour but quickly fell to a tiny micro bubble ring around the glass. This kriek looks very refreshing.

I'm really digging the aroma on this one. A little earthy with a touch of funk upfront that quickly segues into tart cherries. There's a hint of sweetness but it's well in the rear. This lambic certainly focuses more on the tartness than some other available lambics and I salute Hanssens for that.

Solid respectable tartness right upfront makes me pucker immediately. The sourness is in check though and combines with a touch of sweetness on the swallow. There's some earthiness but it stays in the background and lets the tart cherries take the lead without being overbearing.

This lambic is all at once spritzy, sour, tart, light bodied and most importantly, refreshing. This lambic finishes bone dry and leaves you wanting more. Although I'm dry on the swallow there's a residual cherriness that lingers long after.

This is without a doubt an easy drinker. Like I said before it's very refreshing. This 375ml is enough for me in one sitting but that's because there's only so much sour I can drink at any given moment.

Although I'm not very well traveled when it comes to lambics this is, without a doubt, an enjoyable drinker. Whether this is a world class cherry lambic, I have yet to see but the journey should be an enjoyable one.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a foggy reddish hue. No head. Nose is antiseptic and funky like I want the lambics to be. Ahhhh. Pure heaven. It's been too long since I have had a lambic. Oh how I have missed thee, my love. Mildly sour, but not overpowering. The fruit tones caress the tongue. Beautiful earthy tones. Feel is very, very smooth. Fairly full carbonation and the liquid is well bodied. Like I said. It's been some time since I have had a lambic. Now I remember why I love them so much. (actually...I never really forgot...how could I have?)

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%

WOW! Had to practically pry the cork out of this one which was unexpected. Poured an amazing ruby grapefruit with little head that faded and left a ring of foam around the flute. I just don't know if I have seen a beer that was more elegant, exotic, amazing, etc.

Smell was sour and tart, perhaps my senses aren't refined enough but i didn't really pick up any cherry in the nose.

Upfront, taste is very sour and tart with a surprising hint, just a hint, of cherry sweetness way at the back. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, carbonation prickling at the tongue--so amazing. It really is incredible that this is beer. Drinkability is good--the beer actually makes my mouth water and want more. Its a shame there was only one 375 mL bottle. Oh well, maybe I will get another one at Abe's for just over four bucks! A steal at that price. Simply amazing. Prefer this over the Geuze which can get overpoweringly sour.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

375 mL corked & caged bottle.

Pours a nice ruby color with little to no head. Strong, sour aroma of, predictably, cherries, with farmhouse hay and wood. Crisp, nice, sour in the mouth. Finishes very tart on the tongue, nice and clean. I really appreciate the strength of the tartness. An excellent sample.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Large corked and caged bottle.
Poured this into a snifter, crimson with some golden highlights, a quickly fading light pink head.
That aroma typical of lambics, vinegary, woody, earthy, yeasty, not exactly moldy but close, with cherry and other fruits all over, all suggesting the sourness to come.
(and) It comes full force; crispy on the mouth, tangy, tart, puckering all the way, with multiple fruity, sugary notes in between that get swamped by the tartness over and over again. Layers of flavor.
Not exactly a session beer, but a very flavorful, tart lambic, one to be had many times.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Enjoyed this beer at Hop Haus in Chicago, very traditional lambic. Pours a crimson hue, somewhat gritty but typical of the style. Very sour, but still had an easy drinkability for those of us out there that truely admire and enjoy the puckering ability of this style. This was my first experience with this Kriek and I was extremely pleasantly surprised. I will definitely purchase this beer again and will consciously seek it out for at least a great start or finish to a tasting night.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from 750ml glass into a standard pint glass.

Obtained from a new bar in the area, Chappy's. Way to give the first impression Chappy's, giving me a pint glass with that ultra expensive huge beer. Great selection, but not too up on the beer/glass relations knowledge. This could well be my first time drinking a Kriek from a pint glass.

Appearance- Light red, pinkish french beige colour with absolutely no head at all. The cork came off with a pop, but no detection of carbonation other than that.

Smell- Belgian sour cherry with a hint of funk. Very much the smell of a true kriek.

Taste- Sour cherries and thick malt with acids taking over the malt presence quickly. Very acidic, very funky and dry. The dryness keeps me coming back to the glass, and the sourness keeps me wanting more.

Mouthfeel- Acidic and almost numbing on the tongue. Quite sour but good with the extra cherry mouthfeel. A fine desert if you like sour. Carbonation was there in the mouthfeel, but not in the appearance.

Drinkability- Very good for me, but near impossible for others. I would rate this drinkability higher than most. Hopefully the ABV wouldn't be too overpowering. I found it quite soothing.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured out of the bottle, this is an opaque red color, with a minimal head and no lacing on the glass. The smell is tart. The taste is complex, with a tart green apple flavor, a vinegery sourness, and a cherry sweetness all present, yet somehow blending together into a very interesting whole. The mouthfeel is refreshing and light. This tastes like a combination of a fruit beer and a Flemish sour ale. Drinkeability depends on how much one appreciates sourness in a beer. I don't think I could drink a pitcher of it, but by the glass, it is quite refreshing and delicious.

Oude Kriek from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba