Oude Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude GueuzeOude Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Gueuze Alström Bros
Reviews: 479 | Hads: 1,165

Probably the worst beer(if you can call it "beer") I have ever had! Sour, no redeeming palate taste. I have had more beers than I could count and, even when they do not measure up, they are never a waste. This one was!

1.62/5  rDev -61.5%

Try as I might to be fair about this style, it was simply an awful experience but one I felt I must try, since I never shy away from tasting something new. This was my first experience with the Gueuze style. Clearly it takes someone with a niche palate and a strong control of the gag reflex to appreciate this stuff. I am not wussy enough to avoid it and will try to find something that is more palatable in the future, but glossing it over with charming adjectives isn't gonna work. The words "chicken coop shit" came to mind the minute it was presented and I took a wiff at a very special bar in Brookline, Mass called Publick House and Monk's Cell. The barnyard nastiness continued in the taste but it was exacerbated by the blended sour brew that was part of the blend of this beer. The Belgian sour in and of itself takes a great deal to get used to. If you've never experienced a "rauchbier" then you're in for a double wammy when you taste this concoction. "Funky" is being kind. Avoid this style if you want to avoid losing your dinner or if you've never come close to similiar flavors in your Belgian experience before. Like I said, I'll explore the Gueze style again but I will proceed with extreme caution before doing so. Nasty, nasty stuff.

2.19/5  rDev -48%

I drank this from a 750 ml bottle into a chalice.

I'm a huge fan of gueze's but this way to sour without being rewarding. Dark straw color with a disappointing head. Taste is just over powering fruit and sourness.

It pours cloudy orange gold with a nice white head.

It smells sour, citrus, and wood.

It tastes like sour wood. YUck.

2.35/5  rDev -44.2%

375ml small corked bottle, purchased about 6 months ago at Riley's here in Madison, only $2.99 for such a highly regarded example of a rare style.

Part of a series of intimidatingly sour/funky beers I'm trying along with New Glarus' Sour Brown Ale and Duchesse du Bourgogne.

Pours a vibrant golden yellow with a finger of white head that shrinks rather quickly. Nose is pretty funky, but predominantly sweet and tart, like a nice hard cider left out in the barn too long. Unfortunately, none of that green apple sweetness comes through on the palate. Starts off mouth-puckeringly sour, Jesus Christ, with a hint of that apple that was left under a manure pile over a humid summer. The sour is quickly supplanted by acidic bile, like the little but of throw-up that comes up in the back of your throat, which, interesting almost happens with each sip as I gag. Mouthfeel is like carbonated lemon juice, almost grainy. It took all the perseverence I could muster to finish 1/3 of the glass, the rest is sitting on death row in my fridge awaiting an almost assured drain pour, but not before I torture my ignorant roommates with it.

I know this is an acquired taste, but I thought my palate was getting pretty mature. I could handle, even kind of like those first two - but I just can't see why rotting produce, horse blankets, and vomit are appealing characteristics. Maybe I'll revisit this style, but I need to give my mouth some time to regain faith in beer...and humanity. Every tongue has its breaking point, it just so turns out that mine is gueuze. You win this time Belgium - but you haven't heard the last of me.

2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured a cloudy yellow color, leaves a light lacing around the glass. Smell was sour and funky, definate barnyard smell. Taste was sour and reminded me of a horse in a barn eating rotten fruit. Average carbonation and light bodied. I couldn't drink all of mine, I just didn't care for it.

Additional info: I'm sure this is spot on for the style, but this was my first try at the style. I didn't seem to care for Oud Bruin's the first time I tried them, but I love them now. So even though this won't be given high scores from me, I definately think it's worth trying and I will be trying it again, hopefully enjoying then.

2.6/5  rDev -38.2%

A-full head that quickly died away. Clear and straw colored.

S- Even for a geuze, serious funk. But, instead of the soft funk that you'd get from a wash-rind cheese, it's a serious biting funk that you'd get from moldy lemonheads, if there were such a thing.

T- No subtlety here. Grabs your teeth and not so much hangs on for dear life as it wages a remorseless attack on your whole mouth.

M- Good, but even the mouth feel is sour.

D- Hard to finish this one. Even for a geuze, it's too much. Nothing subtle. I wonder why the bottle is so big?

2.65/5  rDev -37.1%

Too sour for me. Reminded me of a good quality champagne really with intense flavor, but I must reiterate this is very much like a Belgium Flander and that is way too sour for my taste buds>

Goes good with good music. Recommend saxophonist Mark Whitecage with this brew.

2.79/5  rDev -33.7%

Golden amber color with a quickly fading fizzy head. Sweaty, smelly feet is all I get. This is really too much. I had to let this thing warm up for about a half hour before that smell died down a bit. Ok, lemon, hay and some apples. The feet aroma is still there. This is not a subtle stinky feet aroma, this is a big fat sweaty guy sticking his toes in your nose stink.

2.98/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured out very little head and dissipated quickly. Golden deep yellow body. No carbonation bubbles in the body. Seems this one is not going to be all that carbonated like most Gueuze's.

Powerful sour aroma. The horse blanket and barnyard funk are very strong. Heavy dose of lemon citrus in the back of the nose. Strong pepper notes from the yeast.

I get a very strong apple cider vinegar flavor all throughout the beer. The vinegar flavor is the first flavor to come through and it is the flavor that hangs around in the aftertaste. In the back of the throat I get a peppery acidic burn which takes away quite a bit from the enjoyment here. Funkiness waits a little bit to come through but gradually reveals itself. Very dry and a small amount of carbonation. The low level of carbonation hurts this beer and makes it seem flat. The acidity in the finish is to strong and needs to be cut up by the carbonation. The pepper acidic burn keeps this from being a drinkable and refreshing gueuze...like Cantillon Gueuze, Drie Foneinen Oude Gueuze, or Lindemans Cuvee Rene.

2.99/5  rDev -29%

Review from tasting notes. Pale orange, hazy. Aroma is slighty vegetal, spicy, and sour to say the least. Horse blanket and dirty feet funkyness. Not all that appealing. Flavor follows suit, but not as strong as the nose. Very sour and tart, some fruitiness, slightly medicinal. Low carbonation, very slick on the tongue. I like the funk and the sour, but this is a bit much for my personal taste. I'm sure there are many who appreciate it for the style, and more power to them. Just can't see myself seeking more of this out. Drinking more than one at a time would be overwhelming for me. I like sour beers very much, but there are other sour styles I would rather partake in.

3.07/5  rDev -27.1%

Well I do like the way the label looks....

this brew poured up a straight yellow color...the aroma was sour!....also smelled a little of urine...the taste was super duper sour...im in limbo right now about this beer...do i have another one to give it a second shot or do i let it ride on down the stream past me?...

3.17/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: golden, clear,
S: musty earth brett funk, grapes, cherries, ocean
T: tart cherries, lemon juice, this sourness seem to taste salty as well
M: dry, and the sharp sourness that cuts through the palate. it does not taste like vinegar, though.
O: it's a very sour beer. i am not a big fan but it works

3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

This was my first geuze so I went easy on the scores just to be fair to the style.I picked this up thinking that it would be like wine, something that I would be able to pair with Thanksgiving dinner. Well I was half right, it was definately like wine, just a wine that I didn't like.

Pours a light, white wine color with some bubbles.

Aroma is like vinegar, totally puckeringly sour.

Taste is that of the most dry, sour white wine that I have ever had. It hit me like a ton of lemon flavored bricks. My brother liked it, he was gulping it down, but he had already ingested a few IPAs as well as half a bottle of Hennepin. Oh and a margarita. But anyhow, this was just too much sourness for me, it took me off guard and perhaps next time I try a Geuze I will be more prepared. I expected a sweeter wine profile, maybe that is what a lambic tastes like as opposed to a geuze...I don't know.

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours light amber with an excellent head.

Aroma: smells just awful but with encouragement I took a sip.

Flavor: way better than the aroma, it is markedly tart -- sour enough to alter the mouthfeel. Complex and hard to describe
Fine soft carbonation

O: an awful smelling ale with a fascinating flavor.

3.26/5  rDev -22.6%

This is my first Gueze so you may want to take this review with a grain of salt. The smell is very different and somewhat offputting, but I heard that is typical for the style so I gave an average rating. The taste was okay; a bit rancid, full of tart lemon peel. The one thing I do like about this is the tartness and the sourness. I have been wanting to try something different and tart and this one certainly fit the bill. Glad I tried it. Maybe I will grow to like this style better; I have four more bottles in the fridge.

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%

A-Pours with no head, no carbonation, and just some white bubbles around the rim. honey colored.

S-smells good and funky with some belgian spices and sugars. its slightly zesty with some lemons. decent strength.

T-well to be honest, i was expecting the worst when i saw this pour, but it isn't too bad. its definitely not great either. it comes in with a watery sourness. the sourness hits with a good punch but it doesn't last too long. it transforms in to a bitter plastic like taste along with some belgian malts. the after-taste is of zest and lemons.

M-low carbonation with a dry finish. very watery.

D-overall, this is a weak gueuze, but not a terrible one. it isn't a pain to finish, but its not something i'm likely to purchase again. it'll fill any temporary sour desires though.

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%

Corked and caged heavy glass bottle. Unknown vintage. The cage is removed and the cork forcefully exits the bottle. The liquid is a light golden colour with a small fizzy head of white foam. The aromas are less complex than most other guezes I have sampled, and unfortunately the taste follows suit. It's all just a bit sweet and bland to me with no real gueze "oomph". The mouthfeel is spritzy and the drinkability is nice.

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%

*did not mind would not buy*

app: slight haze, starw color, nice lil white head of pearls.

smell: again.. peppery light hidden sweet fruits, tart, not so dry smelling

taste: lemons at finish pepper in the mouth, nice and tart and a lil sour.
I like it, it does not have tons of flavor depth beyond the lemons pepper tart dry nice gueuze flavor, but its good. the lemons are building as i drink it.

mf is a lil thick and not that spritzy, but nice peppery feeling.

its an okie dokie not great one for me.. I either want more fruit tones or more puckerness

3.31/5  rDev -21.4%

This beer pours a faded orange, but still kinda bright. No head whatsoever.

Sour and tart aroma. Like a bad chardonnay, vinegar. I expected this, though. Fruit hangs on well, so it's not a complete disaster.

I kinda wish this had more carbonation. As it is it's kind of flat, which allows the sourness to run all over. The fruit--pear, green peach and sour cherry--does a good job to hang on. Still, it doesn't match the sourness. I don't mind sour, as long as there is something on which the sour can find purchase.

Almost a drain pour, but I did finish it. The flavors weren't bad, just not ample enough for me.

3.31/5  rDev -21.4%

375ml bottle poured into tulip

Pours golden orange with a super small white head that doesn't stick around long. Has kind of a sulfer smell up front with a small amount of earthy funk coming through. Taste is sour but not overwhelming silght fruit and funk coming in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel and carbonation are pretty spot on for the style. Overall a good beer for the price but no cantillon.

3.32/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured into a tasting snifter. Used to break the barrel aged monotony (!) after drinking CBS/KBS and before drinking Old Rasputin XII.

Milky amber without any significant head. Smells pungent, mustard and spice, hay, grass, and lemon at the back. Really lemony in taste, and yet I couldn't help but notice hints of vinegar. Quite tart and sharp in its taste, but mouthfeel seemed lacking: heavier bodied and almost creamy at times, even in presence of ample carbonation.

Overall it seemed to lack complexity and got lost in one dimensional tartness, not to mention the vinegar. Frankly, I liked Cuvee Rene better!

3.5, 4, 3, 3.5, 3

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

A harsh style to share, though the mouthfeel impact was muted. Smelled like vinegar and cider, and barnyard as well, so not pleasing to novices. Acidic, sour, with yeast mildly playing on the taste buds. Didn't work that well for me, even with food.

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

The colour is golden yellow; the finger thick foam is white, airy and sinks down to a thin white lid. Some lacing occurs. The liquid is clear.

The smell is sour (vinegar, apple acid, citric acid) and earthy. There are also notes of gunpowder and leather.

The taste is, as it should, sour with dry notes of white wine vinegar. There are also some sweet notes and lots of minerals, especially iodine and a hint of salt. The rather short aftertaste is sour with some bitter and sweet notes.

The carbonation is quite strong and very fresh. The bubbles are small.

I have heard that Hanssens is the mildest and most accessible of the gueuzes. I tend to agree.

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

A white sticky head sits a top a yellow body that provides nice carbonation. The nose is full of barnyard smells with a faint hint of lemon and grass. Also very apparent in the nose and taste is notes of vinegar, which I've never noticed as bluntly in a Gueuze before. The taste is also full of tart sour notes. As you drink this beer your cheeks pucker and it has a very refreshing feel to it, a very nice beer that would lend itself to a hot summer day.

3.37/5  rDev -20%

The lacing is very nice, but doesn't hold well, the color is yellow to brown and cloudy in appearance.

The smell is just like horse stables and it's very damp, stinky, and very sour. It also has the fruitiness of a grapefruit and a lemon.

The taste is damp with a horse smell, and fruity lemon and grapefruit, just like it smells: sour, tart, and fruity. It's a new style for me, but pretty enjoyable at first, but finishing it was a task I couldn't do.

The mouthfeel is wet and smooth, very enjoyable.

I would have more after having some more experience with the more sour styles...I could appreciate it much more.

Oude Gueuze from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba