1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oude Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude GueuzeOude Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-21-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Gueuze Alström Bros

Probably the worst beer(if you can call it "beer") I have ever had! Sour, no redeeming palate taste. I have had more beers than I could count and, even when they do not measure up, they are never a waste. This one was!

1.5/5  rDev -64.7%

1.5/5  rDev -64.7%

1.65/5  rDev -61.2%

Try as I might to be fair about this style, it was simply an awful experience but one I felt I must try, since I never shy away from tasting something new. This was my first experience with the Gueuze style. Clearly it takes someone with a niche palate and a strong control of the gag reflex to appreciate this stuff. I am not wussy enough to avoid it and will try to find something that is more palatable in the future, but glossing it over with charming adjectives isn't gonna work. The words "chicken coop shit" came to mind the minute it was presented and I took a wiff at a very special bar in Brookline, Mass called Publick House and Monk's Cell. The barnyard nastiness continued in the taste but it was exacerbated by the blended sour brew that was part of the blend of this beer. The Belgian sour in and of itself takes a great deal to get used to. If you've never experienced a "rauchbier" then you're in for a double wammy when you taste this concoction. "Funky" is being kind. Avoid this style if you want to avoid losing your dinner or if you've never come close to similiar flavors in your Belgian experience before. Like I said, I'll explore the Gueze style again but I will proceed with extreme caution before doing so. Nasty, nasty stuff.

2.1/5  rDev -50.6%

I drank this from a 750 ml bottle into a chalice.

I'm a huge fan of gueze's but this way to sour without being rewarding. Dark straw color with a disappointing head. Taste is just over powering fruit and sourness.

It pours cloudy orange gold with a nice white head.

It smells sour, citrus, and wood.

It tastes like sour wood. YUck.

2.25/5  rDev -47.1%

375ml small corked bottle, purchased about 6 months ago at Riley's here in Madison, only $2.99 for such a highly regarded example of a rare style.

Part of a series of intimidatingly sour/funky beers I'm trying along with New Glarus' Sour Brown Ale and Duchesse du Bourgogne.

Pours a vibrant golden yellow with a finger of white head that shrinks rather quickly. Nose is pretty funky, but predominantly sweet and tart, like a nice hard cider left out in the barn too long. Unfortunately, none of that green apple sweetness comes through on the palate. Starts off mouth-puckeringly sour, Jesus Christ, with a hint of that apple that was left under a manure pile over a humid summer. The sour is quickly supplanted by acidic bile, like the little but of throw-up that comes up in the back of your throat, which, interesting almost happens with each sip as I gag. Mouthfeel is like carbonated lemon juice, almost grainy. It took all the perseverence I could muster to finish 1/3 of the glass, the rest is sitting on death row in my fridge awaiting an almost assured drain pour, but not before I torture my ignorant roommates with it.

I know this is an acquired taste, but I thought my palate was getting pretty mature. I could handle, even kind of like those first two - but I just can't see why rotting produce, horse blankets, and vomit are appealing characteristics. Maybe I'll revisit this style, but I need to give my mouth some time to regain faith in beer...and humanity. Every tongue has its breaking point, it just so turns out that mine is gueuze. You win this time Belgium - but you haven't heard the last of me.

2.4/5  rDev -43.5%

Poured a cloudy yellow color, leaves a light lacing around the glass. Smell was sour and funky, definate barnyard smell. Taste was sour and reminded me of a horse in a barn eating rotten fruit. Average carbonation and light bodied. I couldn't drink all of mine, I just didn't care for it.

Additional info: I'm sure this is spot on for the style, but this was my first try at the style. I didn't seem to care for Oud Bruin's the first time I tried them, but I love them now. So even though this won't be given high scores from me, I definately think it's worth trying and I will be trying it again, hopefully enjoying then.

2.58/5  rDev -39.3%

A-full head that quickly died away. Clear and straw colored.

S- Even for a geuze, serious funk. But, instead of the soft funk that you'd get from a wash-rind cheese, it's a serious biting funk that you'd get from moldy lemonheads, if there were such a thing.

T- No subtlety here. Grabs your teeth and not so much hangs on for dear life as it wages a remorseless attack on your whole mouth.

M- Good, but even the mouth feel is sour.

D- Hard to finish this one. Even for a geuze, it's too much. Nothing subtle. I wonder why the bottle is so big?

2.63/5  rDev -38.1%

Too sour for me. Reminded me of a good quality champagne really with intense flavor, but I must reiterate this is very much like a Belgium Flander and that is way too sour for my taste buds>

Goes good with good music. Recommend saxophonist Mark Whitecage with this brew.

2.68/5  rDev -36.9%

2.75/5  rDev -35.3%

2.8/5  rDev -34.1%

Golden amber color with a quickly fading fizzy head. Sweaty, smelly feet is all I get. This is really too much. I had to let this thing warm up for about a half hour before that smell died down a bit. Ok, lemon, hay and some apples. The feet aroma is still there. This is not a subtle stinky feet aroma, this is a big fat sweaty guy sticking his toes in your nose stink.

2.98/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured out very little head and dissipated quickly. Golden deep yellow body. No carbonation bubbles in the body. Seems this one is not going to be all that carbonated like most Gueuze's.

Powerful sour aroma. The horse blanket and barnyard funk are very strong. Heavy dose of lemon citrus in the back of the nose. Strong pepper notes from the yeast.

I get a very strong apple cider vinegar flavor all throughout the beer. The vinegar flavor is the first flavor to come through and it is the flavor that hangs around in the aftertaste. In the back of the throat I get a peppery acidic burn which takes away quite a bit from the enjoyment here. Funkiness waits a little bit to come through but gradually reveals itself. Very dry and a small amount of carbonation. The low level of carbonation hurts this beer and makes it seem flat. The acidity in the finish is to strong and needs to be cut up by the carbonation. The pepper acidic burn keeps this from being a drinkable and refreshing gueuze...like Cantillon Gueuze, Drie Foneinen Oude Gueuze, or Lindemans Cuvee Rene.

[74/100]

3.03/5  rDev -28.7%

Review from tasting notes. Pale orange, hazy. Aroma is slighty vegetal, spicy, and sour to say the least. Horse blanket and dirty feet funkyness. Not all that appealing. Flavor follows suit, but not as strong as the nose. Very sour and tart, some fruitiness, slightly medicinal. Low carbonation, very slick on the tongue. I like the funk and the sour, but this is a bit much for my personal taste. I'm sure there are many who appreciate it for the style, and more power to them. Just can't see myself seeking more of this out. Drinking more than one at a time would be overwhelming for me. I like sour beers very much, but there are other sour styles I would rather partake in.

3.13/5  rDev -26.4%

Well I do like the way the label looks....

this brew poured up a straight yellow color...the aroma was sour!....also smelled a little of urine...the taste was super duper sour...im in limbo right now about this beer...do i have another one to give it a second shot or do i let it ride on down the stream past me?...

3.15/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: golden, clear,
S: musty earth brett funk, grapes, cherries, ocean
T: tart cherries, lemon juice, this sourness seem to taste salty as well
M: dry, and the sharp sourness that cuts through the palate. it does not taste like vinegar, though.
O: it's a very sour beer. i am not a big fan but it works

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

This was my first geuze so I went easy on the scores just to be fair to the style.I picked this up thinking that it would be like wine, something that I would be able to pair with Thanksgiving dinner. Well I was half right, it was definately like wine, just a wine that I didn't like.

Pours a light, white wine color with some bubbles.

Aroma is like vinegar, totally puckeringly sour.

Taste is that of the most dry, sour white wine that I have ever had. It hit me like a ton of lemon flavored bricks. My brother liked it, he was gulping it down, but he had already ingested a few IPAs as well as half a bottle of Hennepin. Oh and a margarita. But anyhow, this was just too much sourness for me, it took me off guard and perhaps next time I try a Geuze I will be more prepared. I expected a sweeter wine profile, maybe that is what a lambic tastes like as opposed to a geuze...I don't know.

Oude Gueuze from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba