Oude Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude GueuzeOude Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Gueuze Alström Bros
Reviews: 479 | Hads: 1,164
4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a cloudy orange with a small head which quickly disappears to form a ring.

S - Funky sourness, light solvent, cherries, some lemon. Inviting.

T - A lovely sourness almost immediately which rises to a crescendo at the end and on into the aftertaste. Some lemon and solvents come through in the middle. Also some cider-like notes.

M - Hugely refreshing and thirt-quenching. Light body and carbonation.

D - This was gone very quickly. Difficult to put the glass down. Excellent beer.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a small corked bottle. Pours a very clean orangey color with a moderate head that goes down to a film. Smell is a combo of sweet malt and lambic barnyard funk. The taste is very good, the first to hit you is the sweetness of the wheat malt, accented by lively carbination followed by a great puckering sourness. A dry finish, but not as dry as some other gueuzes. The mouthfeel is really good, with the carbination bubbling on the tounge as the mouth puckers around it. If you like gueuze this is very drinkable, dynamic beer, I recommend it.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

light orange with amberish hues in color, similar to champagne or a dark cidre. Very foamy, and buddly, no head retention but residues left on the glass

Smell is floral, farm like, complex, fruity. You smell the green apples followed by spice and pepper.

Taste is dry, crispy mouthfeel. Very complex, with farm like flavors that come out, apples are very present with notes of cidre followed by shy spice and pepper with a shy hoppy presence.

3.37/5  rDev -20%

The lacing is very nice, but doesn't hold well, the color is yellow to brown and cloudy in appearance.

The smell is just like horse stables and it's very damp, stinky, and very sour. It also has the fruitiness of a grapefruit and a lemon.

The taste is damp with a horse smell, and fruity lemon and grapefruit, just like it smells: sour, tart, and fruity. It's a new style for me, but pretty enjoyable at first, but finishing it was a task I couldn't do.

The mouthfeel is wet and smooth, very enjoyable.

I would have more after having some more experience with the more sour styles...I could appreciate it much more.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

Clear light copper in colour with practically no carbonation. Mild aromas of very sour granny smith apples, mozzarella cheese, and a bit of barnyard. Sharp, but not overwhelming acidity. A bit more sour apple in the mouth, along with a note of pear, and wet hay. There was also a bit of a woody note that revealed itself as the beer warmed up. Very drinkable, but lacking a bit of complexity.

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%

bottle poured into a pint glass (didn't feel like asking the waiter for a better glass).

pours a hazy, honey-like pale gold with a touch of white head that disappears quickly. leaves no lacing.

powerfully tart aroma with a touch of cider, grapefruit rinds, and moldy cheese.

strong tartness that sticks to your teeth. fiercely sour and slightly drying in the finish. the barest hints of apple sweetness and cheesy funkiness. very drinkable, and a very good gueuze.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a clouded, copper orange with light ruby hue. Lots of tiny bubbles attach the to the side of my tulip stem glass. Great lively carbonation. Aroma filled the room with smell of over ripened fruit and slight 'outdoorsy funk' - as if sitting in an orchard at fall time. A mutli-layered finish: first very weet, then tart, finally just plain sour. A clearly cut 3 level mouthfeel. Aroma of rotting fruit (though more pleasant than it sounds!) I would say most closely resembled apricot, pear, and apple. Very complete mouthfeel. A sugary round-a-bout finish. Carbonation high, but very controlled. Leaves a sticky feeling on your teeth. A wine-like flavour, carbonation makes it sweet, reminiscent of champagne. Flavour (slightly void, and yeasty) diminishes quickly and you’re left with not much else but over-ripe tartness. Really, not much taste, but tons of tartness. Lick your lips you get a sour sensation, as if you had eaten lots of candy. Sorta burns a hole in the back of your throat as the sourness floats around your gums. Adapted a cider-like complex as it warmed. Pretty fun!

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

My first Gueze. Wow.

I'm suprised, I like it. The taste seems to consist of sauerkraut, oak, and wheat. I really like it. I could actually see myself craving a beer of this sort. Very unusual.

The mouthfeel was also a pleasant suprise. Round and full, with the bubbles taking the edge off the sourness.

It definately tastes better cold, though. As it warms it starts to take on malt vinegar notes which I can't say I'm fond of.

A good brew, I'm shocked.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a hazy apricot color with a dense white head. The head lasts for a long time and leaves pathy lace swathes. Sharply acidic aroma with lots of horse blanket, fresh hay, citric fruit, uric acid and cheese. The taste starts off with a hit of lemony sour then quickly gets taken over by the funk. All the yummy lambic flavors are here. Sweaty gym socks abound. The finish is exceedingly acidic and lasts forever. The mouthfeel is full of silk like bubbles which help to round out the puckering sourness.

This is a fine gueuze, full of funk. Very highly recommended, especially if youre a gueuze head.

4.63/5  rDev +10%

750 Bottle Purchased from C’est La Vin in Madison for only $4.00! Too bad it was the last one. No vintage that I can find.

Cork pops aggressively giving off the distinct stench of battery acid, rotten lemons, and perhaps a little vinegar.

Biting immediately and throughout each stage of the tasting process. Tastes exceptionally tart, rotten, like moldy grapes, wormy apples, and British cheese. As the beer warms it begins tasting a bit like moldy grains that have been sitting in the loft of an abandoned barn getting pissed on by raccoons and shat on by morning doves for a few decades. Boy is this brilliant!

Mouthfeel is over the top sourness and tartness. Drying in the extreme and oh so drinkable, especially after the initial battery acid aromas die away.

An experience in a bottle and much more about how it makes your mouth and nose feel then its particular taste or aroma. To drink a gueze like this is to remind oneself to fill their life with vitality and ardor.

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well I can't say this beer exactly blew my skirt up...

Acrid horse blanket on the nose along with traces of flatulence. On the palate, horsey, with sour fruit and an overall sour character. Cantillon-meets-Gueuze. Even allowing for stylistic elements, the mouthfeel is basically just above-average.

Am I missing something? Perhaps our bottle was not representational of the universally-known greatness of this beer? I would like to try this again, but only because others seem to have enjoyed it so much.

3.72/5  rDev -11.6%

Orange. Diminishing head. Deep aroma of peach cobbler, salmon, wet wood, grapefruit, red apple, flies, mold, cheese and horseblanket. Devastatingly horsey, funky and just plain sour. Harsh as hell. A definate teeth cleaner. Flavor seems to lean towards the grapefruit/lemon side of things but it is fairly complex and definately enjoyable.

2.35/5  rDev -44.2%

375ml small corked bottle, purchased about 6 months ago at Riley's here in Madison, only $2.99 for such a highly regarded example of a rare style.

Part of a series of intimidatingly sour/funky beers I'm trying along with New Glarus' Sour Brown Ale and Duchesse du Bourgogne.

Pours a vibrant golden yellow with a finger of white head that shrinks rather quickly. Nose is pretty funky, but predominantly sweet and tart, like a nice hard cider left out in the barn too long. Unfortunately, none of that green apple sweetness comes through on the palate. Starts off mouth-puckeringly sour, Jesus Christ, with a hint of that apple that was left under a manure pile over a humid summer. The sour is quickly supplanted by acidic bile, like the little but of throw-up that comes up in the back of your throat, which, interesting almost happens with each sip as I gag. Mouthfeel is like carbonated lemon juice, almost grainy. It took all the perseverence I could muster to finish 1/3 of the glass, the rest is sitting on death row in my fridge awaiting an almost assured drain pour, but not before I torture my ignorant roommates with it.

I know this is an acquired taste, but I thought my palate was getting pretty mature. I could handle, even kind of like those first two - but I just can't see why rotting produce, horse blankets, and vomit are appealing characteristics. Maybe I'll revisit this style, but I need to give my mouth some time to regain faith in beer...and humanity. Every tongue has its breaking point, it just so turns out that mine is gueuze. You win this time Belgium - but you haven't heard the last of me.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Nice head from this one. Smoothly tart aroma, dirty barnyard appears with warming.

This is not as harshly sour as some of the Cantillon lambics I've had. Or perhaps it is the sweetness that balances this beer. Maybe it is age, as there is no date on this beer. Patches of dirt and funk. Carbonation fades quickly, and this is relatively mild in its sourness. This is way too balanced to not be drinkable.

3.86/5  rDev -8.3%

I was anxious to try this style after reading and hearing about it.
...wasn't so sure I would like it after reading some of the reviews and being warned about the smell.
The smell is not what I'm used to ...but not unpleasant... kind of smells like a farm that is downwind of a cider mill ( or , the other way around ) on a warm autumn afternoon...oh yeah , and there are some horses around somewhere.
It poured out golden orange into a tulip glass, really good looking stuff....nice foamy head, that was gone pretty quickly.
Talk about tart..wow..and astringent. Very cidery, sour apple and some other sour fruits that I can't really identify..taste that was just OK at first...but gets better as you sip.
As it warms a little...the horses nudge into your nose a bit...but you like horses , so you continue...the taste gets better...more sour, very dry...not even a hint of sugar....and at the finish...very clean sour apple.
The carbonation is medium high....mouthfeel is really good and dry. Easy to drink...was left at the end of the bottle wanting a bit more.
This one was an adventure.
Ya gotta getta Geuze ! Seriously.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Pale golden appearance, slightly hazy but uniform and bright. Middling head, flat and pale, spreads out in an open chalice. Minimal lacing, some small marks and dots. Very tart aroma, quite astringent without the cheesiness of some. Light body and plenty of active fizziness. Good puckering flavor qualities, slicing acidity and sourness. Moderate sense of Brett for me, I kind of missed a bit more yeastiness in this bottle. Still, no sweet pretender to the style, nice and in-your-face overall.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Hmmm, so this is gueuze (and the first real lambic I've had). 375 mL bottle, corked and caged with no freshness date, but it's aged for three years before they even distribute it, so not sure how much it matters. Pours a fairly clear gold with 1 inch of off white head that tries to lace the flute. Smells of various plants and animals, dung, leather, rotting fruit?, mustiness, and other qualities I can't name. Just from the aroma you can visualize the fields and musty barns that must be near the brewery. It has a medium body that is quite dry and tingly, staying carbonated forever. The flavor is sour, musty, tart, with an acidic bitterness and some of the aroma's scents coming through, but none of the sweetness that it may have hinted at, and few, if any, hops. An interesting style, but the pronounced sourness lowers the drinkability for me, though I would imagine it's more drinkable when balanced by sweetness as in fruit lambics. I will, however, keep looking for other examples of the style.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

This brew pours a hazy red color with orange hues. The head is vey small and recedes within seconds. There is little lacing. The aroma is sour and tart with cherries peaking through. The taste is tart, then sour, then tart again. The aftertaste is very pleasing, and pleasant. It is tart and flavorful, but not overpowering. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, juicy, and has low carbonation. Overall, this is a very good beer. I would most certainly drink this again.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

The cork pops out in a snap and the beer overflows. The pour is a hazy peach tinged amber. There was a 1/4 inch white head for about five seconds. This review is brought to you by the word "Funk." Massive aroma of vinegar, lemon, barnyard, and cider. In your face sourness and tartness fill the palate and I swear I found malty sweetness in here at some point. I've only had one other lambic so I don't really have a point of comparison, but this tastes pretty damn good.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours out a fizzy white head, pretty big with streaming carbonation through a slightly murky gold body.

Smell is interesting, funky, kind of like dry champagne, slightly vinegary and sour.

Flavor is unlike anything else I've ever tasted. Starts out like a very sour, tart sparkling hard apple cider, with a seriously funky note in it at the end. I really thought this was a sign that it had gone bad on my first sips, but as it warmed a little and I drank a little more, it became quite interesting and, dare I say, tasty. Really, really tart and dry, and quite interesting.

Mouthfeel is quite carbonated and spritzy, pretty nice.

Overall: My first gueuze, and I'm ready to try some more! I'm knocking it down on drinkability because there's no way I could finish more than one of these in a night, but it's a great change-up from the stouts and pale ales I've been drinking.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

33 cL punted green bottle, corked and caged. Golden amber orange with a sticky, fluffy head that soon becomes a thin cap. Aroma is of tart apples, horse barn grass -- somewhat reminiscent of a dry white wine. The taste is dry, "farmy," and acidic. A very dry fruitiness, like Granny Smith apples mixed with, unbelievably, caju -- the Brazilian fruit cashews come from. The juice from one of these things will give you the most intense cotton mouth ever. It's insane, but this beer totally has this back of the palate dessicating effect going on that is only comparable to caju juice. Refreshing and mouth-puckering. Excellent stuff. I will definitely seek this out again.

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

This is a wonderful brew! I tasted it first time at Spuyten Duyvil in Brooklyn. Was recommended it by a bartender when I mentioned that I am looking for a gueuze. It was excellent then, and it is excellent now in a bottle.

It's golden color, maybe a bit reddish. I've never been in a real banyard, but I can definitely imagine how the aroma and the taste of this ale are described as banyard. The aroma is also full of sour notes - the kind of sourness you get from sour cherries or grapefruits or lemons. There's a bit of sweetness on the tongue. The finish is dry; the body is light. I keep catching myself smacking my lips.

Part of my attraction to this brew specifically and gueuze style in general is the feeling that you are going back in history. This was the enjoyment of life on a farm in Europe centuries ago. Looking for information about this beer, I've learned that the term "old" in the name implies that it was blended the same way done for hundreds of years. It's even protected by an EU law. Some people visit old battlefields, I enjoy old gueuze.

It's definitely an acquired taste. I enjoy it and even I won't drink it just any time. You need certain conditions to enjoy it fully - maybe a special occasion. I am keeping it in my cellar for those moments when I crave something sour. Life is not all sweet, and neither should be beer. It's a wonderful brew!

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance is a nice copper with some head that fades slowly. Nose smells strongly of chemicals and plastic. I didn't expect that. Definitely some vinegar in there too. There is a definitely funky urine smell as well. Very interesting. Taste starts with some residual sugar sweetness. Interesting. I haven't had a gueuze quite this sweet yet. Perhaps because the yeast used didn't consume most of the sugar present, this gueuze is also much less tart than the others I've had. It's taste is a little muddled as well. Can't seem to find focus between the tart and a mild malty flavor. Mouthfeel is nice and effervescent, does its job. I finished most of a 750 by myself so drinkability isn't too bad.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

61 F.
Aroma is acidic, and of sodden old straw, and wet pasture. It's straw-colored with beautiful spotty white lace. It really begs to be tickled with my tongue.

this is so light and effervescent. How charming to meet you. A dry sense of humor that edges to caustic and socially inappropriate. This lady manages herself well, however, and makes great company. She's lively with a bubbly personality. Yes, though armed with a stick and not afraid to lash out, she's a picture of amiability. She's a woman for all seasons. She's as inviting as a blossoming orchard after a spring rain; as dry as bitter chicory gone to bloom; as complimentary as rusty leaves and wild apples; as warm as an overyly ripe cheese. This beer is engaging to the senses, but not overwhelmingly assertive. She speaks her mind, but we were able to carry on a pleasant conversation, and afterwards she wasn't too restrained to pee behind the barn.

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a clear apple juice color with an orange hue. Minimal head that dissipated to a thin layer thicker on the sides and no lacing with some carb action.

The smell is a harsh wet straw and sour malt with a hint of vinegar and cheese.

The taste is like vinegar I wish I had fried some fish.

A full bodied, syrupy texture, soft and lively carbonation, and a harsh astringent finish.

This beer is a required taste and not my type of Geuze. The Boone type was OK and New Belgiums La... whatever was great.

Oude Gueuze from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba