Oude Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude GueuzeOude Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Gueuze Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,092 | Reviews: 470
4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

25.4 oz bottle poured into a mason jar... did I stutter?

Appearance: Dark burnt orange, very hazy definitely not clear at all. Fluffy big and pillowy head

Aroma: WOW.... This is damned intense, lots of aromas that remind me of really stinky cheese. Brie rind and lots of tart fruit characteristics it really smells like cheese!

Taste: some subtle fruit stuff going on in here flavors of really underripe fruit, green apple and some tart berry flavors, blackberry seems to stand out. Strong vegetable characteristics, mushroom particularly comes to mind. Oh and when I say sour, PUCKERING sour this beer is really intense if you don't like funky crazy insane sourness in your beer put this bottle back on the rack so that the enlightened may consume it.

Overall: This beer is not for everyone, in fact I would venture to say that the few people that do like this are at least a little bit crazy. Its sour, overwhelming, intense and it makes you feel like you just bit into an old gym sock stuffed with sour apples. And I loved every second of it

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a wine glass. Lotnr: B.

A- Slightly hazy golden hay hue. Minimal head & lacing.

S- Musky tart apple. Some funk, citrus, very light sweetness, hints of vinegar. like old tart cat piss (in a good way, if possible).

T- Under-ripe green apples, tart white grapes and lemon zest. Light old hay, a flash of some sour in mid. This is a palate kicker.

M- Lingers well, dries with all the big tartness, covers palate.

D- Good drinkability. Splitting a 375 was about right. Could have soloed it, but might have gotten tired of the powerful tart. A solid gueuze.

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance. Slightly hazy straw in color. Pours with a finger of head which quickly dissipates to a ring around the glass. Bubbles constantly rise from the bottom of the glass hinting at the carbonation.

Smell. Very powerful. A mix and combination between 3 different aromas. The first is lemon like tartness. The second is a sort of mustiness. The third is a sweet honey like aroma.

Taste. Starts out very sour, but a subdued maltiness emerges with a dry crisp cracker quality. Joining this is some lemongrass and delicate floral quality. The sourness cuts this again and leads into a more musty and funky quality, but not overly so. A sharpness reminiscent of cheese evolves from the funk. This is cut again by lemon sourness, which ushers in a long, bone dry, floral finish.

Mouthfeel. A creamy body is joined by a high, but not dense carbonation.

Enjoyable.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Opaque maple syrup color with yellow orange hues slightly opaque. Smell has white grape, peaches, green apple and lemon, all of the aforementioned are sour smelling but there's other lighter sweeter smelling fruits like strawberries and black raspberries that are also present. Taste has an intense sourness to it, lemon, white grape, and apple are dominant here, with a certain belgian funk present, along with oak, throughout that accentuates the fruit. Mouthfeel is oily, viscous, slightly smooth but still watery. 1 750ml will do for me this evening a bit too sour for me to have a few of, this is my first Gueuze ever I will be trying a few more.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Really a beautiful color. Very deep deep golden color. Almost orange. Like a sunset in a glass really...awww.

WOW. That nose is grande. Huge granny smith apples. Very tart tart tart. Get some good funk notes. Nice horsey notes. Also get a nice candied sweetness. Really nice mix between the funk and the candy.

Really nice flavor. Definately get some granny smith apples big time. Not an agressive funk, a kind of nice mellow fruity funk. Very tart yes. Very very tart. Finishes kind of rough. Definately earthy in the finish. But also an interesting something in the finish. Not quite sure what it is. Almost plastic-y. Like I was gnawing on a plastic crate or something. Not quite right I don't think. Maybe that's the enterobacter!! Definately some citrus notes in the finish too. Pungent lemon or grapefruit rind for sure. Really incredibly complex.

Mouthfeel is good, but honestly not dry enough I don't think. It is a touch on the cloying side oddly enough for me. Kind of leaves this slime in my mouth.

Not sure I'll ever be able to give a hardcore gueuze anything higher than a 3 in the drinkability field. Unfortuntely...

1.62/5  rDev -61.9%

Try as I might to be fair about this style, it was simply an awful experience but one I felt I must try, since I never shy away from tasting something new. This was my first experience with the Gueuze style. Clearly it takes someone with a niche palate and a strong control of the gag reflex to appreciate this stuff. I am not wussy enough to avoid it and will try to find something that is more palatable in the future, but glossing it over with charming adjectives isn't gonna work. The words "chicken coop shit" came to mind the minute it was presented and I took a wiff at a very special bar in Brookline, Mass called Publick House and Monk's Cell. The barnyard nastiness continued in the taste but it was exacerbated by the blended sour brew that was part of the blend of this beer. The Belgian sour in and of itself takes a great deal to get used to. If you've never experienced a "rauchbier" then you're in for a double wammy when you taste this concoction. "Funky" is being kind. Avoid this style if you want to avoid losing your dinner or if you've never come close to similiar flavors in your Belgian experience before. Like I said, I'll explore the Gueze style again but I will proceed with extreme caution before doing so. Nasty, nasty stuff.

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

*did not mind would not buy*

app: slight haze, starw color, nice lil white head of pearls.

smell: again.. peppery light hidden sweet fruits, tart, not so dry smelling

taste: lemons at finish pepper in the mouth, nice and tart and a lil sour.
I like it, it does not have tons of flavor depth beyond the lemons pepper tart dry nice gueuze flavor, but its good. the lemons are building as i drink it.

mf is a lil thick and not that spritzy, but nice peppery feeling.

its an okie dokie not great one for me.. I either want more fruit tones or more puckerness

2.65/5  rDev -37.6%

Too sour for me. Reminded me of a good quality champagne really with intense flavor, but I must reiterate this is very much like a Belgium Flander and that is way too sour for my taste buds>

Goes good with good music. Recommend saxophonist Mark Whitecage with this brew.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle for New Years into a gueuze glass. Poured a golden orange color with off white champagne head. Smell is sour vingear aroma followed by a strong barnyward and dirty sock funk. Taste is quite sour with citrus lemon coming through mixed with a tart green apple flavor, a slight bile taste, with slate minerals following. Mouthfeel is dry and very puckering sharp, almost like licking a battery with you tongue. While not the most drinkable gueuze because of the high acidic flavor it is one of the best sipping gueuze. I have been drinking for years and at 8.99 a bottle in my opinion a better value than an other gueuze on the market.

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beer poured from a 750ml, 7-8 year old bottle that I left at my sisters house and found Thanksgiving. This was such a treat, just textbook execution of what a world class Belgium geuze should smell and taste like. I had the chance to try a fresh bottle last month and it was like 2 different beers still nice but not world class. I can not say enough about the older batch just stellar stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Bottle into a small tulip glass

A - A nice golden orange color that is very bright in the light. Great initial bubbly head that diminishes into a thin white rim with a little sticking
S - Awesome sour and tartness on the front with god citrus notes. Really great funk on the back end - this is accompanied by a must and earthyness.
T & M - A total mouth covering sour funky bomb. It is puckering and the funk covers the palate and makes you lick your gums and roof of your mouth. Bellow the tart is a great full sugary sweet citrus flavor that holds through the entire taste. I finally understand what barnyard means as it is all over the backend taste of this beer. This is highly carbinated and is light in feel but full in palate stimulation and cover.
O - Awesome beer. I want another right away and I love the complexity of both the nose and taste which mimic, match, and feed off each other. Awesome gueuze!

-Cheers

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a nice pale orange with a very small amount of haze for a gueuze. Nose is lemon, melon, sour and a very nice and deep bouquet of earthy, musky funk. Flavor is a fruit blast: pineapple, lemon, kiwi, with a tart, tangy, and peppery finish that leaves a beautiful exhale. Very vinous with a pinot grigio quality. At once both sharp and refreshing. An excellent example of the style and one of my new favorites.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Golden orange with a 2 - 3 finger head which is all but gone by about halfway through. Pours clearer than I thought it would. No real lacing on the glass, but the whole thing looks very inviting.

Smell is surprisingly restrained: grapefruit, slight hint of stale bread and vinegar. Not much of an indication of the assault on the senses that is to come.

Taste is.... whoa. Lemon, grapefruit, sour apple, salt, oak, dry leaves, sourdough toast, damp cloth, cheese rind... I may even be missing some stuff. Lingering herbal/tannic bitterness in the back long after the last sip. Mouthfeel is crisp and slightly oily.

A ridiculously refreshing beer that I rate very high for the style in drinkability. Just so good. Invigorating, each sip is like plunging your tatse buds into a cold stream.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

11.2 oz bottle poured into Cantillon flute. Lot G...?

A: Pours a mostly transparent bright apricot. Head is non-existent other than a slight off-white ring around the glass. Many tiny bubbles cascade towards the surface in an attractive manner.

S: Hay, caramel, vanilla, citrus, vinegar, heaven.

T: Tart and vinegary up front, followed by pineapple acidity and barrel notes. Finish is very dry and reminiscent of fresh cream.

M: Well-carbonated, with an utterly creamy mouthfeel. Very pleasant.

O: It has been quite a while since I've had one of these. Having developed an undying love for 3F oude geuze, I came into this with low expectations. That said, Hanssens Oude Gueuze is well-balanced, and a great fill-in for the lack of Cantillon and (now) 3F & Tilquin in my distro area.

Worthwhile; always.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Decent gold color with a small, fizzy white head that disappears immediately. No lacing to speak of.

S: Strong, clean funky aroma that has a faint hint of wet wood. Not particularly complex otherwise.

T: Good, bold tartness is most pronounced. A little on the sweet side, but not by much, and a dryness certainly makes itself felt in the finish.

M: Medium-light bodied, with a strong acidic touch. Lingering acidity and mild astringent character on the finish.

O: Overall a deliciously more-tart-than-normal kind of gueuze. What it lacks in complexity, it makes up for in boldness and authenticity. Really glad I picked this up.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a 750ml bottle and pours a orange cloudy beer. A nice foamy head that quickly settles to a light lace on top of the beer. The smell is a little bitter with an aroma of bananas, dry cider and also I detect some pear. The taste is bitter at the nose and throughout, their is also a hint of vinegar taste. You can definitely taste some fruits before the champagne dryness comes through. This is extremely tart and not my style but I have to judge it on the style and it fits it to a tie even though it could have a little bit more of a fruit taste to it. The beer is carbonated like a glass of champagne and likewise does not have that much drinkability, even for the style I think it is to tart to drink a lot.

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours with a barely-there froth that rims my glass. Lacing is consistently spotty in pattern and lasts a good while, upwards of five to ten minutes. Body is a pale banana peach gold which is, actually, quite good to look at, and unique in shade. Definitely cloudy, but that's too be expected.

Smell: Whoa. Has all the markings of a super amped lambic. Bretty funk, hay, rosemary, alcohol, butter (not diacetyl, but butter), vinousity, pepper, peaches, papaya or some other sort of tropical fruits I'm having trouble identifying - rhubarb? Complex.

Taste: While the sourness here does not reach the balance of a traditional blended lambic, it is suprisingly subdued, which I consider a good thing. Still, it's definitely there, and a little astringent, too. A champagne-like vinousity and corky woodsiness really assert themselves here where I didn't find them in the nose. Peach, apricot, a little melon? Again, some rhubarb I pick up in there.

Mouthfeel: Undercarbonated. Still, not nearly as astringent as it could be.

Drinkability: A sipper.

Had this on-cask at the Fountainhead Anniversary night.

A: Goldeny orange haze. Looks like what an alcoholic apricot nectar would be in a big soapy bath.

S: The smell lends itself to fermented fruits at the bottom of a sterile garbage can bag. It's cloyingly sweet and sour smelling with some hints of oak and vanilla.

T: All those smells hit your tongue at the same time for an overwhelming bombardment of sour, fruit, and vanilla.

M: The first sip will pucker your lips and make your cheeks rosey.

O: This was one of my few gueze experiences, but it was a great one. I had this in bottle format not 3 nights later and it was still an amazing brew.

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured out of a 12.7oz corked bottle. Appearance is pretty average, nothing special (I find it's very uncommon that a beer's appearance stands out from the pack anyway) with a slight chill haze and plenty of bubbles stuck to the side of the glass. Color is darkish straw, and head rapidly retreats to a small ring. The smell is full of the wonderful puckering tartness that makes this style just so wonderfully wonderful, and is balanced with a nice mustardy spicey malt. The taste of this just what the smell would lend me to expect. Full of lip-cringing tartness that rides all the way along the roof of your mouth, tingling your senses and revealing levels of that dry white wine essence, with fruits and esthers and other unknown flavors. This beer remains very mysterious to me, although I have to admit, I really just want to drink more of it. Mouthfeel is dry, well carbonated and drinkable. What else can I say? I just want to stop writing this review and drink some more of this

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

I actually had my entire house try this one before I had even tried it. "It tastes like it's gone bad" and "This is really disgusting" were the general consensus. So it goes. However, on my first sip, I was like, whoa! The pour is orange-ish with a little head, The smell is sour, but not vinegary. It was enough to intrigue my friends. The taste. Hmmm.... It has this lactic acid thing going on coupled with that sourness that isn't quite sour, as it goes kind of round before finishing off to a slightly bitter slight sour aftertaste. Gueze is definitely an acquired taste, but to me it's like fruit but with the sourness instead of the sweetness. Mouthfeel is good. Not too much carbonation. Drinkability is okay, but I'm not sure I could drink it all night. One bottle is definitely fine for me...

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Wow, is this tart! I haven't had a gueuze for a few years and this was given to me as an extreme version. The back of my tongue is rolling under while the front is watering. Oh yeah...the appearance...it's a golden, clear pour that makes a small hissing sound as I pour it into a chalice. I didn't pour it into a tall thin tumbler....does this improve the experience? The head starts at about 1/4" and quickly subsides to a full skim. The smell is tart and a little musty. I like the musty. It gives me confidence that a little attic time might have been involved. The bottle says its been matured for three years. I get oak but I assume the maturation has been in the bottle. If anyone reads this who knows more about Hanssens methods, please let me know.

The tartness is so strong that I drink again and again to see if it's still strong. It is!!! A lot goes on in my mouth each time I try so, what can I say?...the mouthfeel is extremely fun. It's a beer version of poptarts and I mean that in a good way. I will drink this again and consider it quite drinkable. I wouldn't drink anything beforehand though. It's so tart that it deserves to be tried first to avoid any preconceptions of the evenings tastes. I urge you to think unique when you prepare to drink it. It's gueuze not beer...the distinction is big. Anyone thinking that it will be an ale will be confused.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Beer pours a light peach-orange color with just a thin crown of foam, 1/2 inch at best, head has good retention due to solid, champagne like carbonation.
The aroma of this beer, my first gueuze, is very cidery and has an earthy sour kind of smell but no hint of the vinegar aroma I was expecting. Some odd hints of a sulfur/copper penny aroma linger in the back.
The taste of this stuff gets a big WOW from me, tart, hard apple cider flavor dominates,mouthwateringly tangy, this brew could give gatorade a run for its money as a thirst quencher. The flavor has a complex, sour fruitiness to it that goes way beyond cider as it develops. Damn good stuff!
Fairly light and crisp mouthfeel, with plenty of champagne bubble carbonation to keep things interesting.
Overall drinkability on this beer is excellent. As I stated before this is my first gueuze experience, and I can see how some people would be turned off by the sourness and tart flavor but all I can say is I really want to try more gueuze style brews ASAP to see if something else might be even better!

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Served at cellar temp. 375 pulled between three glass, one for top residu, another for the bottom sediment, and a wine tumbler for the beer itself. Let it rest in the glass for 30 min.

A hazy golden hue. White head rises semi-bubbly, though dissipates rather quickly with little to no film.

A very tart nose with a great almost apple body. Cherries come more as it rests. A sharp pepper finish.

Very tart/sour. Lemon rind, apple peel, and under ripe cherries. Earthy body, with a sharp tartness in the mid-body. Finish is crisp, with a semi-sweet finish (for the style).

Very crisp, no real body, great finish. For the style, very approachable. Could be used as a great intro into the style. Great.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

Served from a bottle into a sam adams glass. only a light co2 expel when cork removed.

A: pours gold/straw/orange, hazy; 2 finger head dissipates quickly.

S: vinegar, apple, funky, musty, cellar-like.

T: acidic, vinegar-like sour note in the beginning; gradually moves into candy-apple flavor. musty, barnyardy; somewhat lemony acidity. finishes with a puckering sour character; and sourness definitely dominates the balance--not much malt or sweetness detected.

M: not much carbonation in this one; maybe an older bottle. sourness gives this one a puckering feel.

D: not bad--lots of vinegar-like sourness in the gueze. would be interested in trying this in a kriek to seeif the balance is better; for me this one is a bit too far to the sour side to call great...although very good. enjoyed this with some trappist cheese.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

From a bottle at Cafe Bruges in Carlisle PA.

A - Light golden color with tons of bubbles, and a pretty reasonable head that shrinks but lasts. Very fine carbonation. Looks like champagne (and tastes like it too, we'll get to that soon!)
S - Acidic; sour smelling, almost sends a chill down my spine. Hints of fruit; can't really distinguish them though.
T - Pear and apple are the main fruits to the flavor. Super super sour; almost vinegar tasting but not quite. I see others have said this is the most sour beer they have ever had. I don't have much experience with lambics, but I would absolutely agree. This beer almost tastes like champagne. No flavors that I would describe as "off" although you can tell this was spontaneous fermentation.
MF - Super effervescent; again, it feels like champagne.
DB - Quite expensive but if I could I would drink this all night.

Unsure of the ABV, but I'm sure it's reasonable.

Oude Gueuze from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba