Oude Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude GueuzeOude Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Gueuze Alström Bros
Reviews: 472 | Hads: 1,113
4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

750ml bottle. Pours out very clear with an light orange/copper glow. At first it looks like not much carbonation but by the end of the pour some light foam begins to exist. The aroma is strong with tart funkiness with a mixture of sour fruits.

The flavor is quite sour, with acidic and vinegar notes and a woody, drying finish. The mouthfeel is light, but not too thin. The carbonation held up fine.

This is a classic example of a nice Gueuze. It doesn't stray much from what you'd expect, it's got the perfect sourness and it keeps you drinking it to the last drop. Highly recommended... (596 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Poured from a medieval looking corked and caged bottle into a wine glass, this slightly hazy copper brew has a firm one finger head that eventually recedes to a collar, and leaves lots of bubbly arcs of lace on the glass.

S - Before putting my nose to the glass, I could smell the sour acidity wafting off of the glass! Plump blue grapes (the kind my grandpa used to grow with the seeds), balsamic vinegar, and hydrochloric acid (I work in a lab...it really does smell like this). Grape leaves, fresh hay, and a hint of fingernail polish remover. Reminds me a bit of animal smells at the zoo....especially the gorilla cages. This is insanely complex! I also smell some vegetal decompasing aromas that remind me of the way that the jungle smells in the Yucatan. Outstanding.

T - Holy shit that's shockingly sour! Balsamic and regular vinegar flavors assault the sides of the tongue with scathing battery acid tart and sour flavors. After swallowing, the initial shock goes away and I can pick up more subtle nuances ...like sour grapes, grape leaves, feta cheese, and some spicy hot sauce notes. Again, this is insanely complex but I'm having some trouble thinking of what I taste because the flavors are so foreign to me. The only thing that I've had that even approaches this sort of acidic sour punch is Rodenbach Red, but this has that Flanders red beat in the sour department!

M - Scathing acidity bathes the tongue in a slickness that I fear might be my mouth bleeding! Carbonation is nearly nonexistent, which is probably a good thing since the one-two punch of abrasive carbonation and acidity might leave me without the ability to speak! I think that this would be an outstanding palate-cleanser to have with a big fancy dinner!

D - Ok, I would have this again for sure...but it's not a session brew by any means. I like this as a slow sipping beer...as long as I just take tiny sips I could drink this all night, but I couldn't drink it fast enough to call it a session. I'll be revisiting this one for sure! (2,033 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured out of a 12.7oz corked bottle. Appearance is pretty average, nothing special (I find it's very uncommon that a beer's appearance stands out from the pack anyway) with a slight chill haze and plenty of bubbles stuck to the side of the glass. Color is darkish straw, and head rapidly retreats to a small ring. The smell is full of the wonderful puckering tartness that makes this style just so wonderfully wonderful, and is balanced with a nice mustardy spicey malt. The taste of this just what the smell would lend me to expect. Full of lip-cringing tartness that rides all the way along the roof of your mouth, tingling your senses and revealing levels of that dry white wine essence, with fruits and esthers and other unknown flavors. This beer remains very mysterious to me, although I have to admit, I really just want to drink more of it. Mouthfeel is dry, well carbonated and drinkable. What else can I say? I just want to stop writing this review and drink some more of this (987 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

A white sticky head sits a top a yellow body that provides nice carbonation. The nose is full of barnyard smells with a faint hint of lemon and grass. Also very apparent in the nose and taste is notes of vinegar, which I've never noticed as bluntly in a Gueuze before. The taste is also full of tart sour notes. As you drink this beer your cheeks pucker and it has a very refreshing feel to it, a very nice beer that would lend itself to a hot summer day. (455 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Mimimal head that settles down pretty quick. A bit darker than I would have expected.

S - Strong earthy, musty smell. Some acidity, not much else.

T - Much darker, richer flavor than I normally associate with Gueuze. Earthy, musty notes and hints of dark fruitiness. Distinct, puckering sourness, balanced by surprising early sweetness. Reminds me of a flemish red to some degree, but much more sour.

M - Dry with strong sourness.

D - Matched well with the Belgian style mussels that I had it with, but not a beer I would drink in large quantities by itself. (574 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

WOW! A huge debt of gratitude to yinzer. I shared this divine treat of funky sourness with the club and only 2 other guys liked it as much as I. Clearly Gueuze is lost on many folks. mmm. That glorious wall of sourness, beneath which lies a web of intriguing flavors waiting to reveal themselves and then the bold pucker forcing finish create a terrific experience in each and every sip.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with copper on the edges, a small fizzy white head and nice lacing.

Smell: The gorgeous Gueuze funk. Acidic and sour and yet a bit of sweetness confuses things. The is an earthy musty old oak attribute and sour Muscat wine, a bit if lemon and more Lambic acidity.

Taste: The flavor is magnificent. Like hitting a brick wall at 60 miles and hour the sourness is in you face. The tartness and the acidity fade to more layers of barnyard and sour fruit flavors. The beer is totally consumed by and old wooden oakynes that taints everything. the sour apples and sour grapes have a hint of fruit sweetness but you can only recognize it. The sour never lets loose its grip on the cheeks. The aftertaste reveals most of the flavors as the sourness fades and the oak-laden fruits seep out of the cheeks. Salivating all the while.

Mouthfeel: It is difficult to assess a mouthfeel during the forced pucker of a beer this intense. Acidic, dry, consuming (full), delicious.

Drinkability: This is a slow drinking sipping beer. It lasts so long after the swallow and keeps getting better that IO did not want to rush into another sip. I must have pased on six beers at our tasting while I was taking all the time needed to properly enjoy this beer.
To Lou and John. The only two who understand why this is great beer! =)

Thanks again Yinzer. I have found the two others who will share the love of this style with me.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,883 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a small corked and caged bottle into a slender cylinder glass. Beautiful golden orange-ish straw color with some noticeable bubbly carbonation. Only a small amount of fizzy head appears around the edges. Smells like extra funky apple cider champagne. All sorts of weird and wild barnyard aromas too such as straw, mud, dirty floor. Crispy and fresh mouthfeel, again, champagne-like. This tastes like delicious sour, tart apples and green grapes. Kind of like a nice semi-dry/sweet bubbly white wine but with some light, dry malt and grain presence at the end. This is my new champagne! Very drinkable as well. I would recommend this be enjoyed with some artisan cheese and a nice fresh, crispy baguette. (715 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -22%

This is my first Gueze so you may want to take this review with a grain of salt. The smell is very different and somewhat offputting, but I heard that is typical for the style so I gave an average rating. The taste was okay; a bit rancid, full of tart lemon peel. The one thing I do like about this is the tartness and the sourness. I have been wanting to try something different and tart and this one certainly fit the bill. Glad I tried it. Maybe I will grow to like this style better; I have four more bottles in the fridge. (527 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Deep golden color with a slight haze. Few streams of bubbles flow to the top where a finger high off white head greets them.

S: Dry floral notes, salty vinegar and acidic citrus.

T: Dry and refreshing. Crisp lemon, lime and grapefruit flavors start this off. Mineral components are there, aiding to the dryness. Grassy tastes, specifically dry hay and summer clippings add a roundness to the beer. Lightly bitter, more like the bitterness that accompanies citrus zest. Some vitamin B flavors floating around in here as well. Finishes very acidic, even across the lips.

M: Thin body with a medium mouthfeel. Stark and prickly, but I'd expect it from the style.

D: This was really what I was looking for. The coffee I had earlier really dried me out. This was refreshing and hit the spot. (802 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

My familiarity with lambics comes from products like New Glarus's Belgian Red and Lindeman's Framboise, and this is a horse of a different color (and my first geuze), but here goes...

Color is a darkish yellow...almost an amber color. For someone accustomed to other (dare I say more conventional) beer styles, it seems a bit dull versus a sparkling Pilsner Urquell, but not uninviting.

The smell of this is powerful. I pick up a fruity citrusness, something like lemon-lime soda.

The taste is sour up-front and finishes with a chardonnay grape fruitness.

Mouthfeel is one of champagne carbonation. I feel sweetness on the tip of my tongue, and the sourness seems to hit the roof of my mouth.

Very interesting. And recommended for those times when you're looking for something different. (802 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Served in a Hanssens tumbler at Oud Arsenaal in Antwerp.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy golden (slightly darker and clearer than the Oud Beersel). Topped by a fluffy, white head that fades, leaving patchy lace.

Smell: Sour and acidic with considerable funkiness. Swirling increases the funkiness.

Taste: An intense sourness is evident upfront and lasts throughout. There's some citric character in the center that brings along a very mild sweetness. There are light grassy and earthy elements in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, low carbonation, very dry.

Drinkability: Sour and funky, but delicious. (621 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a light amber with a thin white head. The sour funk aroma meets me long before the glass approaches my lips. Citrus orange sourness hiding behind some stale, rotting fruits. Smells like a dead cat stuck behind a leaky water heater. Lovely.

Taste is sweet-and-sour, fresh fruit juice on top of fruit juice that's been sitting in a hot room for a week. Traditional musty, moldy flavors but not as much as some other gueuzeses (gueuzi?), less barnyard and horse blanket and more back-of-the-fridge, forgotten fruit that now has more hair than you do.

Mouthfeel is medium, I hesitate to call it "clean" although there are no identifiable defects or anything un-gueuze-like. A bit of an acidic bite, sort of aspirin-y, a little chardonnay. Not as extreme as others (there are better examples of the style) but quite drinkable. (833 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

*did not mind would not buy*

app: slight haze, starw color, nice lil white head of pearls.

smell: again.. peppery light hidden sweet fruits, tart, not so dry smelling

taste: lemons at finish pepper in the mouth, nice and tart and a lil sour.
I like it, it does not have tons of flavor depth beyond the lemons pepper tart dry nice gueuze flavor, but its good. the lemons are building as i drink it.

mf is a lil thick and not that spritzy, but nice peppery feeling.

its an okie dokie not great one for me.. I either want more fruit tones or more puckerness (570 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured out a reddish brown into my glass with a decent white head. Nose gives off sour cherry, raisins, and sherry. Taste is mucht the same, but the sourness is way shrper. On the palate, I get sour cherry, strawberry, curry, prune, date, and believe it or not, a flavor that reminds me of buffalo chickrn. Has a sharp mouthfeel, but a clean finish. Not my favorite in the style, but still anout of a dirty sock to make fans happy.. (432 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

The colour is golden yellow; the finger thick foam is white, airy and sinks down to a thin white lid. Some lacing occurs. The liquid is clear.

The smell is sour (vinegar, apple acid, citric acid) and earthy. There are also notes of gunpowder and leather.

The taste is, as it should, sour with dry notes of white wine vinegar. There are also some sweet notes and lots of minerals, especially iodine and a hint of salt. The rather short aftertaste is sour with some bitter and sweet notes.

The carbonation is quite strong and very fresh. The bubbles are small.

I have heard that Hanssens is the mildest and most accessible of the gueuzes. I tend to agree. (669 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -40.7%

Poured a cloudy yellow color, leaves a light lacing around the glass. Smell was sour and funky, definate barnyard smell. Taste was sour and reminded me of a horse in a barn eating rotten fruit. Average carbonation and light bodied. I couldn't drink all of mine, I just didn't care for it.

Additional info: I'm sure this is spot on for the style, but this was my first try at the style. I didn't seem to care for Oud Bruin's the first time I tried them, but I love them now. So even though this won't be given high scores from me, I definately think it's worth trying and I will be trying it again, hopefully enjoying then. (626 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

The beer poured into the chalice clear deep golden amber with a tight, small bubble head which rose slightly but retained well enough to make a go at lacing the glass.

The aroma was fruity, cherries came to mind when first poured, but that quickly changed to a more generic fruit aromatic. The aroma was tart and acidic with a light honey caramel lurking somewhere behind all the sourness that was present.

The flavor was tart and lightly acidic, probably more lactic than any other acid, but very balanced and not brain numbingly sour or tart by any stretch of the imagination. The flavor had a light fruity character and hints of grapefruit and a very light caramel (though no sweetness) was present.

The finish was tart and dry with lasting light grapeseed/grapeskin character long into the aftertaste. The body was just below medium with a fairly low carbonation level. The lack of intense sourness made the beer much easier to drink that some of the other Geuze on the market.

750 ml corked and bailed bottle. (1,026 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

06/11/06- Purchased at Hi-Times Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, both caged and corked. Year of vintage is unknown. No date on the label or cork. Poured into my Duchesse mini goblet.

Appearance- Orange-golden in color. 3/4 inch fizzy head which fades quickly to a light rim. Violent bubbles head towards the surface. Light streaks of lace remain.

Smell- Funk to be sure. Kinda smells like a mixture of rotten veggies and fruit and maybe a bit of cat urine. Sourness wafts over the room. You can smell it from 10 feet away.

Taste- Tartness galore, but not a super sour tart, if that makes any sense. Not really any sweetness here. Sour lemons, cherries and oranges...maybe on the rotten side. How does that sound good? I don't know, but it is.

Mouthfeel- Brisk and stinging carbonation, but fairly easy to digest. A warm weather one.

Drinkability- One bottle is tough to do by yourself, but I will be picking up another if I find one. The 6% abv sneaks up on you. (1,007 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a cloudy orange with a small head which quickly disappears to form a ring.

S - Funky sourness, light solvent, cherries, some lemon. Inviting.

T - A lovely sourness almost immediately which rises to a crescendo at the end and on into the aftertaste. Some lemon and solvents come through in the middle. Also some cider-like notes.

M - Hugely refreshing and thirt-quenching. Light body and carbonation.

D - This was gone very quickly. Difficult to put the glass down. Excellent beer. (503 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a small corked bottle. Pours a very clean orangey color with a moderate head that goes down to a film. Smell is a combo of sweet malt and lambic barnyard funk. The taste is very good, the first to hit you is the sweetness of the wheat malt, accented by lively carbination followed by a great puckering sourness. A dry finish, but not as dry as some other gueuzes. The mouthfeel is really good, with the carbination bubbling on the tounge as the mouth puckers around it. If you like gueuze this is very drinkable, dynamic beer, I recommend it. (554 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

light orange with amberish hues in color, similar to champagne or a dark cidre. Very foamy, and buddly, no head retention but residues left on the glass

Smell is floral, farm like, complex, fruity. You smell the green apples followed by spice and pepper.

Taste is dry, crispy mouthfeel. Very complex, with farm like flavors that come out, apples are very present with notes of cidre followed by shy spice and pepper with a shy hoppy presence. (448 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -19.4%

The lacing is very nice, but doesn't hold well, the color is yellow to brown and cloudy in appearance.

The smell is just like horse stables and it's very damp, stinky, and very sour. It also has the fruitiness of a grapefruit and a lemon.

The taste is damp with a horse smell, and fruity lemon and grapefruit, just like it smells: sour, tart, and fruity. It's a new style for me, but pretty enjoyable at first, but finishing it was a task I couldn't do.

The mouthfeel is wet and smooth, very enjoyable.

I would have more after having some more experience with the more sour styles...I could appreciate it much more. (627 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Clear light copper in colour with practically no carbonation. Mild aromas of very sour granny smith apples, mozzarella cheese, and a bit of barnyard. Sharp, but not overwhelming acidity. A bit more sour apple in the mouth, along with a note of pear, and wet hay. There was also a bit of a woody note that revealed itself as the beer warmed up. Very drinkable, but lacking a bit of complexity. (392 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%

bottle poured into a pint glass (didn't feel like asking the waiter for a better glass).

pours a hazy, honey-like pale gold with a touch of white head that disappears quickly. leaves no lacing.

powerfully tart aroma with a touch of cider, grapefruit rinds, and moldy cheese.

strong tartness that sticks to your teeth. fiercely sour and slightly drying in the finish. the barest hints of apple sweetness and cheesy funkiness. very drinkable, and a very good gueuze. (473 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured a clouded, copper orange with light ruby hue. Lots of tiny bubbles attach the to the side of my tulip stem glass. Great lively carbonation. Aroma filled the room with smell of over ripened fruit and slight 'outdoorsy funk' - as if sitting in an orchard at fall time. A mutli-layered finish: first very weet, then tart, finally just plain sour. A clearly cut 3 level mouthfeel. Aroma of rotting fruit (though more pleasant than it sounds!) I would say most closely resembled apricot, pear, and apple. Very complete mouthfeel. A sugary round-a-bout finish. Carbonation high, but very controlled. Leaves a sticky feeling on your teeth. A wine-like flavour, carbonation makes it sweet, reminiscent of champagne. Flavour (slightly void, and yeasty) diminishes quickly and you’re left with not much else but over-ripe tartness. Really, not much taste, but tons of tartness. Lick your lips you get a sour sensation, as if you had eaten lots of candy. Sorta burns a hole in the back of your throat as the sourness floats around your gums. Adapted a cider-like complex as it warmed. Pretty fun! (1,093 characters)

Oude Gueuze from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba