Oude Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude GueuzeOude Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-21-2001)
View: Beers (7) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Gueuze Alström Bros
SourBatchKid

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Shared with the ogl of mcdgl over raw oysters and tuna ceviche. Thanks for the good eats.

A- At first pour there's a finger of head with slight lacing. Spiced apple cider that has never been homogenized, tarnished liquid gold. mmm.

S- Smells of citrus and green apple finished with green grapes. Drank out of a tulip glass, I can smell a sweet flower, maybe a white honey suckle flower.

T- I must have died and gone to heaven because this gueuze is like an angel floating around in my mouth. Sour lemon grass that makes me salivate, bits of honey that create a sweetness on the back of my tongue. The a stringent sourness keeps me wanting more.

M- Smooth but slightly fuzzy, aerated into extremely small bubbles. So small that all the bubble attach to each other creating a smooth velvety head. Its like drinking silk.

D- I am not sure I can put it into words, but I am going to try. I wish I had a kidney size swimming pool of this brew to swim in but alas I would most likely drink it all out of the pool and end up in the ER with alcohol poisoning. It would be worth it. I love this Beer.

04-16-2010 23:47:46 | More by SourBatchKid
hawks10

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

375ml bottle poured into my Brooklyn tulip...

Pours a golden yellow color with a soft two finger bright white head. The head quickly dissipates but leaves a rather thick haze capping the beer, little to no lacing...

The nose is wonderfully tart. Sour acidic lemon and general citrus, some ripe green apple. Great Belgian barnyard/musty funk aroma...

Tasty! Intensely sour, puckering lemon acidity, tart fruits while still maintaining enough sweetness to balance perfectly. Funky, dry and oaky...delicious...

Great mouthfeel on this one, spritzy carbonation, thicker and more coating than expected. A quick swish in the mouth opens up this beer tremendously. Finishes tart and dry...

Great gueuze! One of the more lemony/sour ones I have tried, great mouthfeel and a mouthwatering flavor!

04-13-2010 05:15:36 | More by hawks10
TurdFurgison

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12.7oz green bottle, corked and caged, purchased for $6.99 from Royal Oak a few months ago. The cork comes out with a faint pop, and the beer pours clear dark yellow / light orange with a very thin layer of bubbles. The aroma is all lambic / gueuze tartness, barnyard aromatics and what seems to me to be a hint of electrical fire. It tastes puckeringly sour, as you roll it around your tongue you can really find your sour sensors. Awesome taste, pushes the limit a little in terms of pucker.

The beer is lightly carbonated, not sure how long it was aged in barrels or in the bottle. Very dry finish, only 6% ABV as it should be, extremely drinkable to me. But I like lambics/gueuzes/wild ales, if you don't like them sour don't get this.

03-28-2010 01:13:52 | More by TurdFurgison
jgasparine

Maryland

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Served from a cork-driven bottle at Staminee de Garre 3/19/2010

A- Pours with a nice thick, rocky white head with some nice lacing... atop a cloudy bright yellow body, with some nice little bubble trains working their way up the sides of the glass.

S- A very funky nose- some must, lactic and acetic notes; earth, fermented lemon rinds, and just a little bit of wheat aroma to remind you that it's a beer. One of the most pungent and acrid aromas I've had in a Gueuze.

T- On the palate it is intense with acidity- a little puckering- moreso than I've had with other Gueuzes. The anticipated funk of lactic/acetic acid, must and bacterial esters all come through. Impressions of fermented lemon rind. A little oakiness in there as well. Finishes very dry.

M- Light to medium body- it actually has a little viscocity to it. Well-carbonated. The carbonation is a bit on the coarse side, but not bloating.

D- Worth tasting. But the intense acidity makes it difficult to consider a second bottle in a sitting.

03-25-2010 13:44:48 | More by jgasparine
drabmuh

Maryland

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Beer is yellow and is completely hazy. There is a white head of medium and large bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is super strong, really strong. Really punches you in the face. Strong sulfur, strong funk, strong yeasty / lemon sour.

Beer is thin with great carbonation in the mouth. Drinkability is high. Lots of citric not so much acetic its really really great. I love this beer.

03-22-2010 22:34:20 | More by drabmuh
mdfb79

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 375 ML bottle into a flute.

a - Pours a golden color with high carbonation evident. About half an inch of white head.

s - Lots of funk here. Also some tart, apples, pears, and little citrus.

t - Taste has a lot of tart, apples, pears, funk. Little bit like champagne or sparkling white wine with a kick.

m - Medium body with high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - A very enjoyable lambic if you like tart and funk. Feels like champagne almost with a kick. Would try again.

03-20-2010 22:04:49 | More by mdfb79
Thur123

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer pour from a large green glass bottle, this feels how this beer would have poured one hundred years ago. The color is a solidly hazy honey brown color with moderate and slow carbonation, also less head than I recall from this beer. The smell is leathery with a tart and sour edge that reminds me of both white vinegar and apples. There is also a mellow banana flavor.

Glug glug glug

The flavor is instantly tart and musky. The tartness shows up in apples and lemons, with a white wine flavor that's very present as well. The muskiness comes in a very effervescent way, reminded me of leather in the middle of the profile with something very similar to hay and basement. The mouth feel is enticing as it feels both heavy on flavor, but it's as if the beer evaporates on your tongue it slides down so easy. An interesting and enticing sipper for sure.

03-14-2010 22:16:46 | More by Thur123
mdwalsh

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

A: A very thin, white head that is gone almost instantly reveals a golden/amber/orange beer with lots of active carbonation. Just the slightest haze.

S: I can smell it from two feet away. Cooked sweet vinegar. Tart apples. Funky cheese. No hops, no malt, this nose is entirely a best of yeast.

T: Sharp and acidic on the first taste. Still a vinegar-esque taste. Pairs pretty good with my brie on toast. This is funky, and I think many wouldn't like it. It's interesting, there isn't much citrus in the taste despite the acidity, though maybe some very astringent lemon juice. I haven't quite figured out all these tastes, but this is leading me down the dark side for sure.

M: Despite the low carbonation the acidity keeps the beer sharp and light.

02-26-2010 16:26:19 | More by mdwalsh
CMW

Missouri

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Pours a golden yellow with a small white head that fades quickly. Carbonation appears heavy and creates a hazy look.

S - Aroma is of tart and sour apple, lemon, heavy acidity. Slightly medicinal

T - Very tart fruit taste upfront. Apples and lemon appear to be the main culprit. Finishes very dry and puckering.

M - High carbonation and crisp on the tongue like champagne.

D - I can't hide that I simply love this beer. I would be happy to drink one anytime.

02-10-2010 03:23:50 | More by CMW
DaveJanssen

Germany

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from 35 mL into Hanssens glass. Reviewed 7/14/009.

Ar: Heavy tartness, leather and earth, acetic, tart, cherry, horse

Ap: Very fine haze straw, off white med/fine head, good retention, lace dots

F: tart and lemony, stronger acetic, very tart fruit, rhubard, very dry with apple cider vinegar end, leathery and heavy, crisp apple character, starts fruitier, acid grows, ends with earthy heavy fruit and acid. Nice cherry (dark and tan together) but needs less acetic acid

M: med/high carbonation, very light and dry, clean but rough acidic end

O: I would like less acetic acid, but still good

01-31-2010 18:50:26 | More by DaveJanssen
eljefe21

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours into the glass like a golden apple cider. Constant stream of carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass to feed the thin head that sits on top.

S: Sour apple cider smell. A bit of an oak background too. Strong, up front, in your face smells.

T: Tart harsh cider like flavor fills the mouth. The oak like background smell comes out in the taste too. Flavor is like a punch to the mouth.

M: Medium bodied brew with nice lifting carbonation. Sour flavor puckers the mouth while sticky body coats the tongue.

D: Definitely wouldn't want to drink much of this on it's own. Look forward to mixing in some food to offset the sourness. Glad I tried this and might keep a bottle around in the cellar to pull out for the right food moment.

Served: in a cervoise glass.

Review from notes taken on: 12/12/09.

01-16-2010 14:42:22 | More by eljefe21
womencantsail

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

A: The usual cloudy, sparkling, yellow-gold liquid with a bit of white foam on top that dissipates somewhat quickly.

S: You can tell this one is going to be great just from the nose. Tart lemon and lactic acid, along with a nice musty and earthy quality.

T: This one starts off with a tongue buckling sourness to it. Wonderful lemon and green apple flavors, in terms of the fruit. There is a slight bit of oak and a dry funkiness.

M: Very effervescent and medium in body with that wonderful dryness.

D: There's only so much of this stuff you can drink before it burns a hole in your stomach, but even then, I'd probably keep drinking it. One of the better Gueuzes I've had, and at the price, you can't beat it.

01-14-2010 18:28:11 | More by womencantsail
crhensel

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

(Bottle into a tulip glass) This is my first sample in this style and I loved it! Poured a deep amber/orange color with only a trace of white head. Lacing was minimal, but some hung on the glass until the end. The nose...well all I can describe it as is "earthy"... there is no discernible aroma but the smell was of a muddy creek after a rain, or of that nice wet hay smell on the farm -- very pleasant. When I tasted, I was shocked at first at how sour this was, as the aromas gave no hint of that. Very lively carbonation pops a strong lemon on the tongue and complimented my sharp cheddar burger beautifully!

01-04-2010 00:40:16 | More by crhensel
gyllstromk

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a nice pale orange with a very small amount of haze for a gueuze. Nose is lemon, melon, sour and a very nice and deep bouquet of earthy, musky funk. Flavor is a fruit blast: pineapple, lemon, kiwi, with a tart, tangy, and peppery finish that leaves a beautiful exhale. Very vinous with a pinot grigio quality. At once both sharp and refreshing. An excellent example of the style and one of my new favorites.

01-02-2010 03:07:38 | More by gyllstromk
HopHead84

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

750ml Bottle purchased at Olive Tree Market in Ocean Beach and consumed on 12/26/2009 in a stemmed Lost Abbey snifter. The beer is dark orange gold with a puffy one finger white head.

The aroma is moderately acidic, with notes of tart lemon, sharp cheese, an upper moderate level of lactic sourness. The nose has evident goaty notes, as well as wet leather, barnyard, and cave familiars. Funky, with a nice citrus presence and a touch of feline urine.

The taste opens with a sharp lactic sourness and an upper moderate level of citric tartness in the form of lemon. The flavor maintains a slightly better equipoise than the aroma. A touch of wet leather is evident, as well as cheese, tannins, and sorcery. The flavor is piquant and delicious, with a slight emphasis on the lemon tartness and a little less on the lactic character. The finish is dry, with notes of wood and lingering lemon.

At under $14 for a 750ml, I don't know that this beer can be beat. Excellent stuff.

12-27-2009 06:41:20 | More by HopHead84
ritzkiss

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

375ml corked and caged, split with Bobsy from the bottle to cut the cold as we waited for a very late bus outside the Buffalo bus terminal. Thanks for the ghetto style geuze Rob! Having to re-review due to the site crash yesterday... hard to replicate genius (which my first review was) but I'll try.

Appearance is greenish but I'm assuming that's because the bottle is green... otherwise all I get is hazy.

As the cork is popped a rush of ripe sourness wafts out of the opening, mingled with a hint of mustiness and a faint oakiness. As the rim of the bottle touches my lips I am reminded of a time long ago when I drank beer from bottles, cans, beer bongs, or anything I could... and then the massive sourness of the geuze hits and I realize this is no BMC. Ripe fruity sourness rollicks around in my mouth giving an initial puckering. Underneath this assault there is a vast world of complexities, musty and leathery funk, lemons, a hint of graininess, a touch of pear. Wonderfully bright carbonation moves the beer along at a trot.

This geuze is more sour than many of the other Belgian versions I've had. It looks to bowl you over with the sourness and then impress you with the subtle complexities underneat - beautifully done. Hanssens as I understand it is only a blender rather than a creator but who cares - this beer is delicious! Next time I'll be serving it in the proper glassware but... it probably won't be as fun!

12-20-2009 13:25:27 | More by ritzkiss
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Probably the best gueuze ever cracked at Buffalo bus station. Split with ritzkiss while waiting for our delayed coach.

Obviously its difficult for me to assess the appearance of this one, other than to say its a beautiful corked and caged bottle taht seems to contain a clear golden liquid. The aroma is neat - funky with lemon, cider and white wine notes mixing in with leather. Awesome citric tartness, with dry white wine grapes leading off, blending with oak, and finishing with some dry funk. Puckering, but extremely refreshing and the sort of sour that could easily be sessioned, and the light, spritzy body helps contribute to this.

Really nice guezuze, and at a good price. While I wouldn't put this up there with Canillon it is one of the finer sours I've come across. Hurrah for Hanssens!

12-20-2009 13:20:31 | More by bobsy
hoppymcgee

Connecticut

3.43/5  rDev -19.3%

Sampled at Brett Fest at Spuytin Duyvil in Brooklyn, NY in August 2009.

6 oz. from the cask into a tulip.

A: The best feature of this beer. Sparkles like a white wine.

S: Smells like vegetables.

T: Similar to biting into a lemon.

M: I'm not sure if it was in my mouth long enough to tell!

D: Very sour and therefore not so drinkable.

Overall, this beer was tough to get through. I wish I knew what year it was.

Serving type: cask

12-19-2009 03:46:11 | More by hoppymcgee
berkey

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

I've had this before but it's been awhile and I last tried it on a fatigued palate so I decided to pick up another bottle. Poured into my La Trappe glass.

A strong pour helps form a small head that immediately fades away to essentially nothing. Body is that familiar dirty yellow orange color I'm noticing is a theme with beers in this style.

Aroma is brings on more funk with sour green apples and citrus peel than my usual Cantillon Classic Gueuze along with a healthy dose of oak and an understated sweetness.

Very sour and acidic on the palate. Significantly more vinegar bite and puckering sour fruit character than most others in the style I've tried recently. Aftertaste is rounded out by more oak and a dry white wine finish.

Crisp carbonation composed of very small fine bubbles. Not as effervescent as some Gueuze's but still very nice. Drinkability takes a small hit due to the comparative boldness of the flavor profile, even in relation to beers in the same style. 375ml bottle was just about the right amount.

Overall a very nice ale at a decent price with the smaller bottle. I'll likely work this into my rotation in an effort to stop drinking so many expensive 750ml bottles of American Wild Ale when I need my sour fix.

12-16-2009 06:54:10 | More by berkey
wnh

Missouri

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

12.7 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear, soft-looking old gold color with a small, fizzy white head. Not much carbonation from the look of things, though there was a loud-ish pop upon removing the cork.

Mouthwateringly sour on the nose, with aromas of white pepper, lemon rind, and some horse blanket. Being new to sours, I'm having a hard time pulling much more out of this beer, but it smells good.

Quite intense on the front end of the palate, strong with horse blanket and white pepper, dry and prickly. Fades into a fruity tartness, with hints of ripe pear, before rounding out into a smooth slightly citric sweetness with a clean, mouthwatering finish. Lightly carbonated, with a quenching sort of viscosity.

Becomes noticeably fruitier with the addition of some yeast from the bottle. Seems to be a good gueuze, but again I lack experience with this style so I can't say how it compares to many others. Even so, this was quite enjoyable; if I had another, I very well may have poured it into a pint glass and gulped it down.

12-09-2009 00:57:10 | More by wnh
Reagan1984

Very little foamy white head forms, than vanishes atop this copper/gold brew. I don't see any lacing left behind. Excellent clarity and a few lonely bubbles of carbonation making their way to the top of the glass.

Aroma is quite pungent and bold. All of the typical descriptive comments apply. Barnyard, earthy, funky etc. I get a lot of oak and also some almond I believe. Also some lemon rind and a moment of burnt rubber. As the beer continues to warm the burnt rubber aroma comes more to the forefront.

Very interesting in that the aroma is strongly led by the funky notes. However, in the flavor these play a background roll. Initial burst of sourness is quickly followed by a burnt rubber flavor. Then a moment of sharp citrus/lemon flavor and some oak notes. Some white grape flavors and green apple flavors. As it warms I get some more nut (hazelnut) flavors. Very complex.

While the body is fairly delicate, this still has a bold mouth feel due to the strong and acidic nature to the flavor profile.

This bottle has lasted quite some time and will continue to entertain me for the balance of the evening. Sit and slowly enjoy this beer.

11-07-2009 01:15:11 | More by Reagan1984
Brandt

Montana

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

this beer pours a pale straw yellow color and is slightly cloudy with a large white rocky head

the smell on this throws off a huge brett character and offers up much of the barnyard and horse funk that can be expected with this. the smells here are a dirty wool blanket and horsey as well as some more eathy mossy notes. there is also an oak character that can be picked up on.

taste was highly acidic and the straw flavor stood up to the sourness so as not to be left behind. the wood/oak flavors come in for the tail end of the taste never leaving sourness as the only flavor.

this beer finishes with a lingering lasting sour tang and a vigirous carbonation that makes the tongue tingle after the beer is gone. this is a nice earth version of the gueuze and a real treat.

11-05-2009 21:51:30 | More by Brandt
corby112

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color with a two finger frothy, pillowy white head tat slowly fades into a lasting cap. Minimal splotches of soapy lacing.

Earthy funky barnyard aroma with a good bit of estery golden crisp fruit notes. Lots of oak and musty stinky horesblanket blending with crisp light fruits, especially apple and pear. Slightly lactic. The smell of this beer makes my mouth water.

Pretty rtame for the style but still plenty flavorful. Not as funky earthy or acidic as i expected but still enough of the sour tartness and barnyard funk to make it epsecially mouthwatering. Slightly oak with a perfect amount of tart sournes that balances out the sweet estery golden fruit notes. Creamy medium body which again is unusual for the style with a lactic funk. Subtle malty backbone which is more pronounced than most examples of the style.

This beer is very complex and while it has a good bit of barnyard tart funkiness it is not acidic at all as has a lot of complexity, integrating sweet estery light fruit notes, resulting in one of the most drinkable sours I've had yet. Highly recommended!

11-05-2009 04:44:47 | More by corby112
ricke

Sweden

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Cellared less than a year at the brewery.

A: Slightly hazy orange with a minimal white head.

S: A rather "clean" funkiness (perhaps well defined is a better word considering the circumstances) of barnyard and mud with some pleasant notes of fruits and lemony acidity. The funkiness gets more pronounced after a while.

T: The taste is tart and refreshing with a decent amount of funk. Pleasant notes of sour fruits and berries. Hints of oak and grass. The finish is mildly bitter and nicely dry with a faint hint of minerals. Very good.

M: Moderate body, medium levels of carbonation.

D: Good. Very refreshing and fairly complex.

10-29-2009 23:17:52 | More by ricke
boatshoes

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Purchased a 375ml of this from Capone's for my second tasting of this beer. Enjoyed it the first time but only had about four ounces and figured I needed to give it another shot.

Appearance- To be honest, this is about the only place I found this beer slightly lacking, though perhaps it is because I had Duck Duck Gooze and Gueuze Girardin 1882 Unfiltered prior. When I poured this one, I feared it was going to be completely flat. However, after getting the bottle completely vertical to finish the pour, I managed to get a very thin (maybe quarter-finger) fizzy head that died out very quickly. Body itself however was a nice golden with some very mild carbonation actually beading up.

Smell- Lots of funk and acrid leather/barnyard off the nose. Tart smelling, but more along the lines of tart green grapes and unripe pear than what I would describe as green apple tartness. Quite nice and a little less aggressive than I was expecting.

Taste- Similar to the Girardin, I found this gueuze to forefront the funk. Lots of tart funkiness and barnyard first before I notice the fruitiness, which I found to be along the lines of the nose-white grapes and lemon zest primarily. More mouthpuckering than I thought it was going to be, but overall very good.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Carbonation was a touch low but better than I thought it was going to be. Fairly spot on for the style. Drinkability was pretty solid as well.

Overall, pretty good, though not quite at the level as the other gueuze I've had recently. Definitely recommend it though.

10-08-2009 00:10:22 | More by boatshoes