Oude Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude GueuzeOude Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oude Gueuze Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

I've had this one for a little while, and I was in the mood for a gueuze tonight...so here we go

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear orangish golden color with a small head of white bubbles that just meanders about the top of the beer. Not too much action, but there are plenty of bubbles stuck to the side of the glass.

Aroma: The aroma had a bit of a green apple thing going on when i first poured it, but it has settled to a faint component of the aroma. There is some evident tartness to this beer and some dry wheaty aromatics that suggest that the beer is pretty dry. Not a lot of sweetness in the nose.

Taste: The beer is dry, but still has a pretty significant mouthfeel. There is some sweetness that set in the back of the throat like honey to linger with the acidity. There are defined lemon flavors that actually make me think of lemon drops. The finish is pretty balanced between the tartness and sweetness which makes it a rather drinkable brew. I actually feel a subtle warming in the belly after drinking about half the bottle.

Opinion: This is a pretty damn good Gueuze. I like the balance it has, and would actually be a pretty good one for someone who was new to this style. As wild as their Mead the Gueuze was, I was expecting something more assertive. As it is, this is a nice blend. Of course I would drink this beer again, but I prefer like a Girardin Black Label or some such. Either way a good beer to try.

SkeeterHawk, Jan 24, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Wow, just wow.

Split a 375 mL bottle with my wife. This is our first gueze - been wanting to try one for quite a while.

Poured into champagne flutes - fantastic off white fluffy head. Smell is outrageous - tart apple and musk. I'm a big fan of Jolly Pumpkin beers so once I smelled this my anticipation grew.

Taste blew me away. This is such a sour beer that I almost envisioned that I was drinking a glass of lemon juice mixed with vinegar. The initial taste is totally eye-opening. Further sampling reveals subtle flavors of almost everything imaginable from malty sweetness to faint herbal hints.

Drinkability is definitely low just due to the complexity and tartness, but this was one of the most spectacular drinks I've had.

n811, Jan 10, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

This was my first geuze so I went easy on the scores just to be fair to the style.I picked this up thinking that it would be like wine, something that I would be able to pair with Thanksgiving dinner. Well I was half right, it was definately like wine, just a wine that I didn't like.

Pours a light, white wine color with some bubbles.

Aroma is like vinegar, totally puckeringly sour.

Taste is that of the most dry, sour white wine that I have ever had. It hit me like a ton of lemon flavored bricks. My brother liked it, he was gulping it down, but he had already ingested a few IPAs as well as half a bottle of Hennepin. Oh and a margarita. But anyhow, this was just too much sourness for me, it took me off guard and perhaps next time I try a Geuze I will be more prepared. I expected a sweeter wine profile, maybe that is what a lambic tastes like as opposed to a geuze...I don't know.

Bobo77, Dec 16, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Ah, Oude Gueuze my oude friend.

I picked up a 750ml of this from Sam's in Chicago. I really had to wrench the cork out of this baby but once it relented it produced a healthy FOP!

A medium pour gives an immediate big three-fingers head that's rather delecate but only dissipates down to a 1/2 finger. The beer is a crystal clear golden brew with tiny pin-prick champagne bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass for the duration.

The first whiff is a distinctly lambic/gueuze funk with some sour on the backend. Horse blanket.

Upfront the taste begins very tart and sour, with some healthy funk in the middle, ending with some less prominent, but still present, sweet-tart green apple.

The mouthfeel is fuller than I would have expected - but with plenty of bite. I'm guessing that's lactic acid from the younger of the lambics in this blend.

I accidentally paired it with curry chicken and it was a very pleasant surprise (by "accidentally" I mean I popped it open and 10 minutes later my wife says "ready for curry chicken!?"). They both have distinct and strong flavors but didn't fight at all in fact they seemed to keep each other at bay.

davedahl, Dec 12, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

750ml bottle poured into tulips.

A - Very slightly hazy apricot colored liquid with a frothy white head leaving very light lacing.

S - Spiced cider, sour apples, wet horse blanket, burnt cinnamon stick, hay, musky smells of an old attic. This is funky in all the right ways.

T - Sour, tart flavors assault the guns and tongue immediately. These are followed by spicey hot flavors of pepper mixed with cardamon and allspice but those again quickly give way to sour crabapples in a long finish. Excellent sour, funky beer.

M - Heavy body, great mouthcoating, stings on the tongue a little, but not in a bad way, more like it is tickling your tongue.

D - This is a great drinking beer. Probably not something you want to pound a lot of, but definitely on the high end if you are in the mood for a geueze.

Traquairlover, Dec 11, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

A - A slightly hazy orangey golden colour with a few centimetres of white head that falls fairly quickly. Minimal lace is left.
S - Musty & earthy as well as tart green apple note.
T - A lot of mustiness as well as a full on tart apple flavour with a a slight grainy hint.
M - Fairly light bodied, high carbonation. Quite a tart mouthfeel but not too full on.
D - Not something I'd drink heaps of but I'd definately drink this again.

brendan13, Dec 02, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 12,7oz bottle into a flute glass

A_Thin and fine bright white head. Semi-opaque creamy orange color, leaves some wide spread and then spider web lacing

S_Totally funky, comparable to dirty sweaty socks from a gym bag. What a very enjoyable and fun experience it is to totally embrace the funk-tastic smell of this beer

T_Ultra citrus taste, totally tart. The saliva glands really kick in very hard as the beer rolls across the pallet. The aftertaste is mild-strength sweat taste

M_Fairly light weight body, highly carbonated similar to champaign. The circus of reactions my pallet had to this was quite an experience

D_I need to pair this with food, preferably cheese and/or bread (I reviewed this with Oude en Jonge Goude cheeses). If you do enjoy the flavor, then the drinkability is quite high; the beer does not hit you with any hard alcohol taste or impact, so it can be enjoyed over and over again

echdk3, Nov 28, 2008

A:Hay golden color. Poured with some white head but it quickly disapated.

S: Oh yeah.Must funk. Vinegar. Tartness.

T: Pucker city right up front. It punishes your glands with every sip. Some pineapple in the back. The tartness is almost overpowering. Almost.

M: Very smooth. Thicker than other examples I have had. Less carbonation as well.

D: What a way to start thanksgiving. I scared my father with this beer.

aerozeppl, Nov 27, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Cloudy orange in colour, with a small white head with a little lacing.

Musty, sour aromas are predominant, with some tougher "funk" notes wafting in. Fruit aromas of orange and citrus peel. Complex and enjoyable.

Sherbet like sweetness meets a tight, harsh citric acid flavour - at first it takes the palate a little to get used to it, but when it does it really opens up other flavours. Grapefruit, sour lemons, tobacco leaf, and a woody aftertaste. Wow!

A fairly extreme Gueze but very well balanced. Love it!

koolk, Nov 24, 2008

Original rating: Bottle sampled on 09/26/08 at Night of the Funk. Pours a cloudy light orange with a white head. Aroma is super funkalicious with lots of yeast, old socks, and sweat. Flavor of cracker and lots of funk. Pretty sour too and probably would be hard to drink in large quantities. Nice gueuze with some acidity. 7/4/8/4/14

Updated 11/18/08. Bottle. Pours a light orange with no real head. Aroma is very barnyard funk with a light sugary sweetness. Flavor of sweettart candies, light barkynard funk, and tart sourness. Very very drinkable for a gueuze. Refreshing too. Top-notch gueuze.
Appearance: 4/5
Aroma: 8/10
Palate: 4/5
Flavor: 8/10
Overall: 16/20
4.0/5

LilBeerDoctor, Nov 18, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

375mL bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Bright glowing orange/yellow. Initially a big foamy head that quickly recedes into a ring and cap combo.

S: Grainy, grainy, grainy, lemon zest, white pepper. Man oh man I forget how much I like sours, it's been far too long. Slightly woody/oaky and a slight slice of white cheddar cheese combination.

T/MF: Crispy, woody, zesty lemon. Very bright, light and lovely. Moves to a solid nutty sweetness, tartness keeps your mind from getting lazy. Mouthfeel is crisp, bubbly and lingering.

D: Not overly sour, a nice tartness mixed with a good complexity. An absolute pleasure to drink. I wish it were a hot summer day because this beer is brilliant. A great beer if you want to work your way into the sourer beers. Marvelous.

bluemoonswoon, Nov 14, 2008

375ml bottle $6.99. beautiful orange with a short foam atop, then not even one bubble. It smells like the slightest hint of funky cheese, lemons, dusty cardboard boxes. It tastes sour, citrus, lemons, good gueuze. The mouthfeel seemed a little thin at first, but overall it was adequate.

ArrogantB, Nov 06, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours out really clear light yellow amber color with one finger of white foam.
Smell is sour lemon peel with a hint of orange juice. The Brettys are kicking some major butt here. Alum and salt combine for the end of the sour smell.
Taste is sugary sweet sour lemon with a hint of apples and spice.
Mouthfeel is very clean. Love the mouthfeel here. The sour dry stays with the mouth for a long time making you want another drink.
Drinkability is how much good sour you can stand.

peabody, Oct 18, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -28.7%

Review from tasting notes. Pale orange, hazy. Aroma is slighty vegetal, spicy, and sour to say the least. Horse blanket and dirty feet funkyness. Not all that appealing. Flavor follows suit, but not as strong as the nose. Very sour and tart, some fruitiness, slightly medicinal. Low carbonation, very slick on the tongue. I like the funk and the sour, but this is a bit much for my personal taste. I'm sure there are many who appreciate it for the style, and more power to them. Just can't see myself seeking more of this out. Drinking more than one at a time would be overwhelming for me. I like sour beers very much, but there are other sour styles I would rather partake in.

KeefD, Sep 11, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -26.4%

Well I do like the way the label looks....

this brew poured up a straight yellow color...the aroma was sour!....also smelled a little of urine...the taste was super duper sour...im in limbo right now about this beer...do i have another one to give it a second shot or do i let it ride on down the stream past me?...

stumac, Sep 10, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Cage-corked bottle, poured into tulip glass:

Pours deep orange amber with a large off-white head that settles to an almost one-finger, lasting creamy cover, leaving lacing.

The smell is an explosions of barnyard musty funk - Now that's a gueuze! Tart with sour vinegary vinuous notes. Some citric-ish fruitiness and earthy notes. Very complex nose once the wonderfully pungent barnyard/ horseblanket settles.

The taste is funky, sour and sweettart. Near-puckering lemon leads the way with sweetness underneath that comes together to form a sweettart finish.

Champagne-like effervescence makes the beer glide along the palate, lending a lightness to a medium body.

A powerhouse gueuze for sure! Near the end of it, I took a slice of creamy Chimay cheese from my fridge and ate it with it. It made a great pairing!

jwc215, Aug 30, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to OHLRangers who threw this in as an extra.

Crystal clear gold, small thin egg shell white head. Recedes really fast and a foamy ring lingers the rest of the way. The barn and old leather type aromas come through easily at first. As for the taste, it's hard to say much other than "sour." It's obviously got that earthy component that is found in the aroma, it just comes through a bit different in the taste. Not as intensely sour as I thought it would be. The most recent gueze I've had was Beatification a few days ago, and that seemed to be more intense. Still very good, Hanssens has lived up to everything I had heard about them.

MiScusi, Aug 16, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured a cloudy orange body with good carobonation that gives a large head that leaves a lace sheath. I am not a huge fan of tart citric drinks but this is different. While it is extremely tart and carbonated in a medium body, it contains a good amount of fruit in the taste like apple, grape, some sour citrus and has a dry backbite that kicks your ass. While there's no malts I can put my finger on, there's a very mild sweetness that shields this beer from being overly bitter. I didn't drink this for a special occasion; it is not necessary. I recommend this to any adventorous beer drinker.

clayrock81, Aug 15, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -34.1%

Golden amber color with a quickly fading fizzy head. Sweaty, smelly feet is all I get. This is really too much. I had to let this thing warm up for about a half hour before that smell died down a bit. Ok, lemon, hay and some apples. The feet aroma is still there. This is not a subtle stinky feet aroma, this is a big fat sweaty guy sticking his toes in your nose stink.

DrunkenMaster, Jul 18, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a 750ml bottle and pours a orange cloudy beer. A nice foamy head that quickly settles to a light lace on top of the beer. The smell is a little bitter with an aroma of bananas, dry cider and also I detect some pear. The taste is bitter at the nose and throughout, their is also a hint of vinegar taste. You can definitely taste some fruits before the champagne dryness comes through. This is extremely tart and not my style but I have to judge it on the style and it fits it to a tie even though it could have a little bit more of a fruit taste to it. The beer is carbonated like a glass of champagne and likewise does not have that much drinkability, even for the style I think it is to tart to drink a lot.

Hokies, Jul 18, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

750ml green bottle, no dating found. poured into tulip.

honey gold w brownish amber tones. slight haze. decent head fades to wispy layer. lacing a bit sparse.

cider vinegar and champagne, with some farmhouse and yeast funk. hints of wood.

tart from start to finish, but with crisp dryness and almost no residual sweetness. cider and champagne give some trace of fruit base, but the tartness is the main player. hints of wood and funk again.

ever so slightly thin, but texture from acidity. prickly carbonation.

refreshingly acidic and dry. could use a tad more esters or malt sweetness.

tai4ji2x, Jul 17, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

25.4 oz bottle poured into a mason jar... did I stutter?

Appearance: Dark burnt orange, very hazy definitely not clear at all. Fluffy big and pillowy head

Aroma: WOW.... This is damned intense, lots of aromas that remind me of really stinky cheese. Brie rind and lots of tart fruit characteristics it really smells like cheese!

Taste: some subtle fruit stuff going on in here flavors of really underripe fruit, green apple and some tart berry flavors, blackberry seems to stand out. Strong vegetable characteristics, mushroom particularly comes to mind. Oh and when I say sour, PUCKERING sour this beer is really intense if you don't like funky crazy insane sourness in your beer put this bottle back on the rack so that the enlightened may consume it.

Overall: This beer is not for everyone, in fact I would venture to say that the few people that do like this are at least a little bit crazy. Its sour, overwhelming, intense and it makes you feel like you just bit into an old gym sock stuffed with sour apples. And I loved every second of it

YankChef, Jul 16, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured this 375 mL corked green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date but I have had this cellared for over one year. The body was semi-cloudy but cleared rapidly upon sitting. It was the color of a new penny, bright and copper. The tall, spritzy head receded to a constant ring.

Smell was earthy. Cherries. Lightly of balsamic vinegar. I kept thinking of lemonade drink mix powder. Interesting.

Taste was tart. I imagine drinking Kool-aid out of a old clay jar. Only a tad funky. Lingering pleasant sourness. Easy to drink. No trace of alcohol.

Mouthfeel was effervescent immediately but faded toward the end. Medium to light bodied.

Cresant, Jun 25, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -4%

A - Light orange, copper without much head and a few bubbles rushing to the top.

S - Tart apple with some sour funk, wet hay, acidic and a touch of barnyard.

T - Sour and tart with hints of vinegar, white grapes and a touch of oak.

M - Light to medium mouthfeel with sparkly carbonation at first that mellows and a biting acidity that grabs the tongue.

D - Used to be my favorite Gueuze until i have tried many others but still top notch. Very easy to drink for the sour acidity.

brewcrew76, May 30, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle bought at City Wide in South Bend. Pours a clear straw color with a bubbly dusting of a head. Looks quite effervescent. Smells massively sour, also has a horseiness and overripe citrus in the nose. Taste is a sinus clearing sourness at first. Nice clean malt backbone comes through fast afterwards. Sourness becomes a stable/hay flavor and is less intense after a couple of sips. Delicate but complex flavor with pineapple and grapefruit notes. very tasty. Medium bodied and clean feel, not as bubbly in the mouth as it looks. Top notch. very clean and tasty while also feeling earthy and old-world.

aforbes10, May 06, 2008