Mead The Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Mead The GueuzeMead The Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mead The Gueuze Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -44.1%

Appearance - gold honeyed color in a Belgian glass. Extremely high effervescence yields 3 fingers of foam instantly. The soft bubbled head recedes unevenly to a thin solid cover. Lots of bead action off the bottom of the glass bowl.

Aroma - sharp lemony nose, lots of spiciness and a musty funkiness that isn't too offputting. I'm not a fan of that particular odor but it's not so bad. Still, I'm non-committal at this point.

Taste - tangy and sour. Kind of a cross between lemon and sour apple. The funkiness is still there and honestly, is still unpleasant to me. The high abv fotunately pops in, boozing up and amplifying the citrusy flavor enough for me to concentrate on that instead. I'm just not getting what I'm supposed to like about that ripe sweatsock flavor. If it's something acquired I will occasionally check up on and try this style during my lifelong beer adventure.

Mouthfeel - maximum bubbliness, you can't even get an initial taste until the champagne level bubbles get off your tastebuds. Lively and refreshing feel.

Drinkability - not something *I'd* buy, it just doesn't match up well on my palate.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

I can't believe that I am still alive after taking the cage off of this 375 ml bottle- the cork shot off like a cannon. The loudest pop, the fastest cork in the west. I hurt my finger and scared the crap out of the people in the room. I was expecting the ceiling to collapse any second. I wished I had read the warnings of other reviewers, because it is real, it is true. Wow. This beer gets points for getting attention.

Pours with a huge (and I mean huge) head with yellow, hazy beer below. Did I say lots of carbonation?

Aroma- guueze-like sour. No notes of honey/mead you might expect. Horseblanket and farmyard and funk.

Flavor is very different- the geueze sour is there, but it is tempered by the mead- there is some sweet notes, but they don't stand up to the gueuze. It is impossible for me to describe what's going on here. But the two flavors don't balance each other at all.

After that, though, I've gotta say, I just don't get this beer. I love Hanssens Gueuze, but this beer makes no sense to me. The ratings above make no sense- what am I comparing it to? To be honest, it boils down to the fact that I just didn't like this beer. I'm sorry to say that, because it is a very cool idea, but I can't go there.

2.81/5  rDev -27.6%

Purchased from Smart Buy in Fort Lee not long before it closed. Tonight I'm drinking this as an aperitif in a Lindeman's tall, thin stange at just over fridge temperature.

Appearance- The cork slipped easily right out of the neck, with no pop or resistance whatsoever. On the pour, there is zero carbonation and the color is of gently steeped darjeeling tea. Absolutely still... the most quiet, peaceful looking gueuze I've seen yet.

Smell- A nostril-twisting attack of wonderful sour cherries, about as good as it can get. Like a chilled fruit parfait, I want to dive right into this beer.

Taste- Disappointingly weak for the style, this doesn't have much backbone to carry the tartness of the cherries. From start to finish, there isn't a gripping hold on the tongue like I expect from a good gueuze... just when the flavor starts to expand, it recoils and disappears. The aftertaste doesn't linger at all, which (for me) practically defeats the purpose of choosing this over any other.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Thin, watery texture in the mouth, remaining so for the duration of the tasting. As this beer is now retired, I won't have to mention that if you're searching for a quenching, satisfying gueuze you might pass this one up.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this.

A - The cork didn't pop it all, it kind of just fell off, no sound or anything. Pours dead, look a golden amber color that is trasparent.

S - Smells like some confusingly skunked gueze with some chemicals and maybe a bit of rubber. Not sure how this happened, but the addition of mead makes it smell sickly sweet.

T - The taste is better, it does taste like gueze with some honey added on the end, although it took me a few sips to start to taste the honey. I don't care for it a ton.

M - Medium bodied and flat.

O - It's unique, so it gets points for that, but it's not something I'll drink a lot of or go back for.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a white head. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Really sweet and funky. It has a lot of honey, oak, spice, and funk. Some vanilla and toffee. Oak shows a bit through the sweetness.

Taste: Oak shows much more here. It has honey, vanilla, lemon zest, light funk. Light medicinal notes show with some acidic flavors. A bit malty.

Mouthfeel: Dry, sweet, and cloying. Medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. I don't like the feel to much.

Overall, it is alright, but it is hard to drink a lot of. It is an interesting concept, but it is just hard to drink more than a few ounces of this. I like it a little, but not something I will seek out again.

Bottle courtesy of Beerlando: Poured a golden color beer/mead with a small bubbly head with no retention or lacing. Aroma consists of sweet notes courtesy of the mead with some sour notes from the lambic with some weird funky notes. Taste is also a weird and unique mix between some sweet mead notes mix in with some sour notes form the lambic with some funky barnyard notes. Full oily texture body with some limited carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting as a one-off but not something I would drink regularly.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

Picked up a bottle of this on a recent lambic binge at Kahn's in Indy. This is probably the most potent lambic that I've ever had.

Cork flies off upon merely loosening the cage and it pours a very cloudy orange with an uncontrolable head that thankfully subsides after a few minutes in the glass. Champagne of Belgium indeed. Aroma confuses me a little bit when put up against taste. Aroma is very characteristic of a traditional gueuze, lots of sour notes and a decent amount of funk, but the taste presents a not so subtle sweetness that seems a bit of out of place. The sweetness, funkiness, and tart flavors all struggle for domination and it ends up just seeming out of balance. Cool idea but it just didn't work for me.

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%

This beer has an immediate sour aroma. A very lively carbonation creates a dense white head. Faint honey aroma. Has a very dry taste to it though it does have a hint of sweetness. Very light in the flavor department. Not too sour, though there is a nice sharp acidity. I could perceive no real honey taste, which, from my experience with some fermented honeys, is no real surprise. The beer was brilliantly clear and golden in color. Definitely worth trying if you like the lambic style of beer, but in the end a bit lackluster.

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%

I originally sampled this beer on 21 May 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
Incredibly high carbonation. Before I could even twist off the champagne cap, the cork shot straight up like a bullet. W/ all of the carbonation, it had a surprisingly smooth taste on the tongue, no bite. The aroma was feint honey

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%

12.7 oz bottle. After the cork launched with major force, the beer poured a clear (other than the dregs) golden with a monstrous fizzy white head that quickly disappeared (odd considering the big explosion and tons of carbonation in the body).

The aroma is yeasty and floral with some acidic and tart fruitiness and clove honey that becomes more pronounced as it warms.

The flavor is sweet clove honey and a big tart acidic apple flavor. Some sourness comes out in the finish as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of sharp carbonation.

Overall, an interesting beer. It tastes more like a cider mixed with a mead rather than a gueuze and mead (too apple-y).

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Old bottle of Mead the Gueuze that I finally got around to opening up.

A: Slightly hazy golden-orange body. Not a single bubble -- the way only Hanssens can do!

S: Light lambic must with a bit of oak. A dose of vinegar and a lemon-honey sweetness that was the obvious influence of the mead.

T: Musty, funky oak, lemon acidity, white vinegar, cough-drop like sweetness. Generally, this tasted a little "stale" -- perhaps too much age on this.

M: Dead flat. But I didn't mind the stillness. Semi-dry finish. High, but not blistering acidity.

O: A unique brew, even for a Hanssens' creation,

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%

Light Orange. Very aromatic, an equal balance between the sweet mead (apple) and the dry, tart traditional gueuze (lemon). Hints of peach are evident in the nose as well. A nice balance between mead and lambic, making it a less traditional but more approachable experience. Not my kind of drink though. I’d rather just have the Hanssens traditional Gueuze.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%

This cork came off with some fucking power. What an explosion! Damn. I hope I didn't wake the baby sleeping right above the ceiling.

Slightly hazed golden appearance with a steady and vigorous stream of carbonation rising from the bottome of the glass. This one throws out a huge bubbly and fizzy white head. Retention is solid. The aroma's got some of that funky barnyard stuff going on but also some sweet candy like overatures. The mouthfeel is quite lively and just a little gaseous. Body is about light medium. This beer is tart and a little acrid. It has a sharp husky edge to it. The acidity is quite high. And the tartness is held in check. This one isn't so mouth puckering. It is quite dry though. Decent enough lambic.

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%

The cork popped on its own accord! Scared the crap out of me. Pours a fresh full foamy head that died quite quickly. The color is electric amber with a little chill haze - effervescent like champagne. Smells musky (yep, horse blanket), and corky. Taste has a tart beginning and a dry finish. It was difficult to distinguish much sweetness. Lively mouthfeel - very champagnesque - effervescent and tart with a dry finish.

3.57/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mead the Gueuze is best served chilled (40-45F) in a champagne flute or lambic-style tumbler. This one pours up voluptuosly with a craggy white head that engulfs the deep straw-orangish golden body. The aroma is alive with an acidic fruitiness (lemon, lime, etc...) with some noteable earthiness (freshly cut hay, morning dew, etc...), but also has the added complexity from the barnyard aromatics & oak. The flavor starts off with some graininess and expected tartness, but comes off rather balanced as the clover spiciness, oakiness and vanilla come into play with the wheat berries. The finish is off-dry with a just a touch of alcohol & honey sweetness. This medium-light bodied specialty makes for an interesting apertif before dinner or try pairing with some key lime & tupelo honey grilled shrimp. Here's to a fine marriage for lambic & mead lovers!

CHEERS! Beertracker

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%

330mL bottle poured into tulip - thanks to aviencko for opening this

Pours a fairly tepid clear golden color. The (partially rusted?) cork barely popped - very little carbonation here.

Funky and musty in the nose with some softly biting sourness. Hints of sweetness with honey as well, from the mead.

A pleasant sour character up front with straw and funk. Somewhat musty and oaky followed by some apple and citrus. The fruit leads into the slightly sweet honey character from the mead, which is a pretty interesting combo. Soft warmth towards the finish with lingering dryness and sour flavor.

Lighter medium body, almost completely flat, sticky and lingering on the tongue. This is an interesting combo of two styles, although I wasnt into the flat texture.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Like everyone else I should have read about this before opening! Luckily nothing happened when I removed the wire cage, but when I gave the cork a slight twist to loosen it up, I ended up putting a nice divot in the ceiling! (luckily it wasn't mine). Poured a yellow-orange, with lots of carbonation, reminding me of champagne. aroma was faint honey sweet and lemon tart. So far so good. But I was disappointed in the taste. It had a good blend of mead sweetness and the lambic tartness, when you first taste it, but then it is just too champagne dry. As someone who likes champagne it wan't bad! But I wasn't looking for champagne!

3.67/5  rDev -5.4%

I should have worn ear plugs when I popped the cork! lol A window shattering pop, and enormous fluffy head shoots out. I could have sent the cork into orbit, but I wanted to save it. The head is enormous and then quickly subsides.

served room temp:
The aroma is very strongly musty, sour, and tart. I could smell it from across the room. The mouthfeel is dry and crisp, with champagne-like carbonation. Taste is musty yeast, sourness, sweetness tugging war, with sour winning in the end. There's no hint of alcohol whatsoever.

This is a very different beer and worth a try.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

12.7oz bottle received from joe1510. Thanks Joe!
I'm moderately perplexed - how do I pour this? There's mold on the outside and I'm not dying before I drink another Dark Lord. I'm taking my chances and pouring it into my Duvel tulip

A: Golden-orange with a thin white head that recedes fairly quickly to a disk. There's some carbonation visible despite there being no real pop when I cracked it open

S: As advertised, this has a definite honey-like sweetness up front (surprisingly large, given that the mead is just 30% of the blend). Orange blossoms. Behind it all is the gueuze peeking through - mildly funky, mildly acidic, mild green apple. As a gueuze, this plain sucks but it's interesting and compelling in it's own light. The sweetness and the funk interact in ways I couldn't imagine - delicious one second and revolting the next.

T: Starts off mildly funky with the mead sweetness coming in right next to it. Mild acidity. Fruity character from the mead with orange blossoms being most prominent - I should know, I had OB honey on toast for breakfast. The funk becomes more prominent as it warms up and takes on a decidedly green apple character. Dries up on the finish while leaving some sweetness on the palate

M: Sweeter than most gueuzes and this results in a rather slick, medium bodied mf. The low carbonation enhances this sensation.

D: I'm glad I got to try it but not sure I'd go for another - unless I'm grabbing it to share with some of my funk head friends.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%