Mead The Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Mead The GueuzeMead The Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mead The Gueuze Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -44.1%

Appearance - gold honeyed color in a Belgian glass. Extremely high effervescence yields 3 fingers of foam instantly. The soft bubbled head recedes unevenly to a thin solid cover. Lots of bead action off the bottom of the glass bowl.

Aroma - sharp lemony nose, lots of spiciness and a musty funkiness that isn't too offputting. I'm not a fan of that particular odor but it's not so bad. Still, I'm non-committal at this point.

Taste - tangy and sour. Kind of a cross between lemon and sour apple. The funkiness is still there and honestly, is still unpleasant to me. The high abv fotunately pops in, boozing up and amplifying the citrusy flavor enough for me to concentrate on that instead. I'm just not getting what I'm supposed to like about that ripe sweatsock flavor. If it's something acquired I will occasionally check up on and try this style during my lifelong beer adventure.

Mouthfeel - maximum bubbliness, you can't even get an initial taste until the champagne level bubbles get off your tastebuds. Lively and refreshing feel.

Drinkability - not something *I'd* buy, it just doesn't match up well on my palate.

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

I can't believe that I am still alive after taking the cage off of this 375 ml bottle- the cork shot off like a cannon. The loudest pop, the fastest cork in the west. I hurt my finger and scared the crap out of the people in the room. I was expecting the ceiling to collapse any second. I wished I had read the warnings of other reviewers, because it is real, it is true. Wow. This beer gets points for getting attention.

Pours with a huge (and I mean huge) head with yellow, hazy beer below. Did I say lots of carbonation?

Aroma- guueze-like sour. No notes of honey/mead you might expect. Horseblanket and farmyard and funk.

Flavor is very different- the geueze sour is there, but it is tempered by the mead- there is some sweet notes, but they don't stand up to the gueuze. It is impossible for me to describe what's going on here. But the two flavors don't balance each other at all.

After that, though, I've gotta say, I just don't get this beer. I love Hanssens Gueuze, but this beer makes no sense to me. The ratings above make no sense- what am I comparing it to? To be honest, it boils down to the fact that I just didn't like this beer. I'm sorry to say that, because it is a very cool idea, but I can't go there.

2.81/5  rDev -27.6%

Purchased from Smart Buy in Fort Lee not long before it closed. Tonight I'm drinking this as an aperitif in a Lindeman's tall, thin stange at just over fridge temperature.

Appearance- The cork slipped easily right out of the neck, with no pop or resistance whatsoever. On the pour, there is zero carbonation and the color is of gently steeped darjeeling tea. Absolutely still... the most quiet, peaceful looking gueuze I've seen yet.

Smell- A nostril-twisting attack of wonderful sour cherries, about as good as it can get. Like a chilled fruit parfait, I want to dive right into this beer.

Taste- Disappointingly weak for the style, this doesn't have much backbone to carry the tartness of the cherries. From start to finish, there isn't a gripping hold on the tongue like I expect from a good gueuze... just when the flavor starts to expand, it recoils and disappears. The aftertaste doesn't linger at all, which (for me) practically defeats the purpose of choosing this over any other.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Thin, watery texture in the mouth, remaining so for the duration of the tasting. As this beer is now retired, I won't have to mention that if you're searching for a quenching, satisfying gueuze you might pass this one up.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this.

A - The cork didn't pop it all, it kind of just fell off, no sound or anything. Pours dead, look a golden amber color that is trasparent.

S - Smells like some confusingly skunked gueze with some chemicals and maybe a bit of rubber. Not sure how this happened, but the addition of mead makes it smell sickly sweet.

T - The taste is better, it does taste like gueze with some honey added on the end, although it took me a few sips to start to taste the honey. I don't care for it a ton.

M - Medium bodied and flat.

O - It's unique, so it gets points for that, but it's not something I'll drink a lot of or go back for.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a white head. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Really sweet and funky. It has a lot of honey, oak, spice, and funk. Some vanilla and toffee. Oak shows a bit through the sweetness.

Taste: Oak shows much more here. It has honey, vanilla, lemon zest, light funk. Light medicinal notes show with some acidic flavors. A bit malty.

Mouthfeel: Dry, sweet, and cloying. Medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. I don't like the feel to much.

Overall, it is alright, but it is hard to drink a lot of. It is an interesting concept, but it is just hard to drink more than a few ounces of this. I like it a little, but not something I will seek out again.

Bottle courtesy of Beerlando: Poured a golden color beer/mead with a small bubbly head with no retention or lacing. Aroma consists of sweet notes courtesy of the mead with some sour notes from the lambic with some weird funky notes. Taste is also a weird and unique mix between some sweet mead notes mix in with some sour notes form the lambic with some funky barnyard notes. Full oily texture body with some limited carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting as a one-off but not something I would drink regularly.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

Picked up a bottle of this on a recent lambic binge at Kahn's in Indy. This is probably the most potent lambic that I've ever had.

Cork flies off upon merely loosening the cage and it pours a very cloudy orange with an uncontrolable head that thankfully subsides after a few minutes in the glass. Champagne of Belgium indeed. Aroma confuses me a little bit when put up against taste. Aroma is very characteristic of a traditional gueuze, lots of sour notes and a decent amount of funk, but the taste presents a not so subtle sweetness that seems a bit of out of place. The sweetness, funkiness, and tart flavors all struggle for domination and it ends up just seeming out of balance. Cool idea but it just didn't work for me.

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%

This beer has an immediate sour aroma. A very lively carbonation creates a dense white head. Faint honey aroma. Has a very dry taste to it though it does have a hint of sweetness. Very light in the flavor department. Not too sour, though there is a nice sharp acidity. I could perceive no real honey taste, which, from my experience with some fermented honeys, is no real surprise. The beer was brilliantly clear and golden in color. Definitely worth trying if you like the lambic style of beer, but in the end a bit lackluster.

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%

I originally sampled this beer on 21 May 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
Incredibly high carbonation. Before I could even twist off the champagne cap, the cork shot straight up like a bullet. W/ all of the carbonation, it had a surprisingly smooth taste on the tongue, no bite. The aroma was feint honey

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%

12.7 oz bottle. After the cork launched with major force, the beer poured a clear (other than the dregs) golden with a monstrous fizzy white head that quickly disappeared (odd considering the big explosion and tons of carbonation in the body).

The aroma is yeasty and floral with some acidic and tart fruitiness and clove honey that becomes more pronounced as it warms.

The flavor is sweet clove honey and a big tart acidic apple flavor. Some sourness comes out in the finish as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of sharp carbonation.

Overall, an interesting beer. It tastes more like a cider mixed with a mead rather than a gueuze and mead (too apple-y).

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Old bottle of Mead the Gueuze that I finally got around to opening up.

A: Slightly hazy golden-orange body. Not a single bubble -- the way only Hanssens can do!

S: Light lambic must with a bit of oak. A dose of vinegar and a lemon-honey sweetness that was the obvious influence of the mead.

T: Musty, funky oak, lemon acidity, white vinegar, cough-drop like sweetness. Generally, this tasted a little "stale" -- perhaps too much age on this.

M: Dead flat. But I didn't mind the stillness. Semi-dry finish. High, but not blistering acidity.

O: A unique brew, even for a Hanssens' creation,

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%

Light Orange. Very aromatic, an equal balance between the sweet mead (apple) and the dry, tart traditional gueuze (lemon). Hints of peach are evident in the nose as well. A nice balance between mead and lambic, making it a less traditional but more approachable experience. Not my kind of drink though. I’d rather just have the Hanssens traditional Gueuze.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%

This cork came off with some fucking power. What an explosion! Damn. I hope I didn't wake the baby sleeping right above the ceiling.

Slightly hazed golden appearance with a steady and vigorous stream of carbonation rising from the bottome of the glass. This one throws out a huge bubbly and fizzy white head. Retention is solid. The aroma's got some of that funky barnyard stuff going on but also some sweet candy like overatures. The mouthfeel is quite lively and just a little gaseous. Body is about light medium. This beer is tart and a little acrid. It has a sharp husky edge to it. The acidity is quite high. And the tartness is held in check. This one isn't so mouth puckering. It is quite dry though. Decent enough lambic.

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%

The cork popped on its own accord! Scared the crap out of me. Pours a fresh full foamy head that died quite quickly. The color is electric amber with a little chill haze - effervescent like champagne. Smells musky (yep, horse blanket), and corky. Taste has a tart beginning and a dry finish. It was difficult to distinguish much sweetness. Lively mouthfeel - very champagnesque - effervescent and tart with a dry finish.

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mead the Gueuze is best served chilled (40-45F) in a champagne flute or lambic-style tumbler. This one pours up voluptuosly with a craggy white head that engulfs the deep straw-orangish golden body. The aroma is alive with an acidic fruitiness (lemon, lime, etc...) with some noteable earthiness (freshly cut hay, morning dew, etc...), but also has the added complexity from the barnyard aromatics & oak. The flavor starts off with some graininess and expected tartness, but comes off rather balanced as the clover spiciness, oakiness and vanilla come into play with the wheat berries. The finish is off-dry with a just a touch of alcohol & honey sweetness. This medium-light bodied specialty makes for an interesting apertif before dinner or try pairing with some key lime & tupelo honey grilled shrimp. Here's to a fine marriage for lambic & mead lovers!

CHEERS! Beertracker

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%

330mL bottle poured into tulip - thanks to aviencko for opening this

Pours a fairly tepid clear golden color. The (partially rusted?) cork barely popped - very little carbonation here.

Funky and musty in the nose with some softly biting sourness. Hints of sweetness with honey as well, from the mead.

A pleasant sour character up front with straw and funk. Somewhat musty and oaky followed by some apple and citrus. The fruit leads into the slightly sweet honey character from the mead, which is a pretty interesting combo. Soft warmth towards the finish with lingering dryness and sour flavor.

Lighter medium body, almost completely flat, sticky and lingering on the tongue. This is an interesting combo of two styles, although I wasnt into the flat texture.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Like everyone else I should have read about this before opening! Luckily nothing happened when I removed the wire cage, but when I gave the cork a slight twist to loosen it up, I ended up putting a nice divot in the ceiling! (luckily it wasn't mine). Poured a yellow-orange, with lots of carbonation, reminding me of champagne. aroma was faint honey sweet and lemon tart. So far so good. But I was disappointed in the taste. It had a good blend of mead sweetness and the lambic tartness, when you first taste it, but then it is just too champagne dry. As someone who likes champagne it wan't bad! But I wasn't looking for champagne!

3.67/5  rDev -5.4%

I should have worn ear plugs when I popped the cork! lol A window shattering pop, and enormous fluffy head shoots out. I could have sent the cork into orbit, but I wanted to save it. The head is enormous and then quickly subsides.

served room temp:
The aroma is very strongly musty, sour, and tart. I could smell it from across the room. The mouthfeel is dry and crisp, with champagne-like carbonation. Taste is musty yeast, sourness, sweetness tugging war, with sour winning in the end. There's no hint of alcohol whatsoever.

This is a very different beer and worth a try.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

12.7oz bottle received from joe1510. Thanks Joe!
I'm moderately perplexed - how do I pour this? There's mold on the outside and I'm not dying before I drink another Dark Lord. I'm taking my chances and pouring it into my Duvel tulip

A: Golden-orange with a thin white head that recedes fairly quickly to a disk. There's some carbonation visible despite there being no real pop when I cracked it open

S: As advertised, this has a definite honey-like sweetness up front (surprisingly large, given that the mead is just 30% of the blend). Orange blossoms. Behind it all is the gueuze peeking through - mildly funky, mildly acidic, mild green apple. As a gueuze, this plain sucks but it's interesting and compelling in it's own light. The sweetness and the funk interact in ways I couldn't imagine - delicious one second and revolting the next.

T: Starts off mildly funky with the mead sweetness coming in right next to it. Mild acidity. Fruity character from the mead with orange blossoms being most prominent - I should know, I had OB honey on toast for breakfast. The funk becomes more prominent as it warms up and takes on a decidedly green apple character. Dries up on the finish while leaving some sweetness on the palate

M: Sweeter than most gueuzes and this results in a rather slick, medium bodied mf. The low carbonation enhances this sensation.

D: I'm glad I got to try it but not sure I'd go for another - unless I'm grabbing it to share with some of my funk head friends.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

As soon as I twisted off the cage, the cork exploded and crashed hard into the cieling. All of the cats ran out of the room.
It's blonde yellow with a boiling, vengeful head that stands up. It's like looking at a lava vent as it stiffens on top, then is consumed by the rising energy from the rim underneath.
A nose of phyllo, diatetic cookies, green banana peels, flowers, diotomaceous earth, and potting soil.
The flavors are chalky dry with dried, powdered geen apple skins and stems. The finish is dry, chalky and abrupt as it leaves an impression of dried bones.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

This came in a 350mL bottle with a cork in it. Pours a pale golden color with a tall white head that fades completely away, but takes a couple minutes. The aroma is mostly comprised of a honey sweetness. A little earthy and sour as well. The flavor has a lot of carbonation, very champagne-like. A little tart and pretty sweet. This is interesting for me - not nearly as sour as a gueuze, which I like. I probably won't have it again, but I'm glad I tried it.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Good lord! After two mere twists of the braided tie on the restraining cage, the entire nosepiece shot off like a bottle rocket on the 4th of July, with a "bang" just as loud, and nearly imbedded itself in the ceiling.
I've since located the cork, but the cage is MIA. I'm also feeling rather fortunate. Had my head been a few inches to the right, I'd likely be either blind or nursing a swollen head and a concussion.

Be careful with this beast. For real. Point it away from the body. Light fuse and get away.

Now for what matters.

Golden hued with rushing carbonation that ever-replenishes the off-white head.
The nose is gueuze, first and foremost. Soured apples and pino grigio. Misty, farmy, horsey, tart, rancid, acidic. The mead holds no trump over the aroma.
The taste, too, is gueuze dominated. Ripe and sharp up front. Apples and pears in all their acid-spewing glory. Acetic acid undercurrents with wafts of farmier things. Vinous white grape pinnings, twisted with lemon. The yeast nuance is generally light. Honey on the follow through, with some vanilla baggage. Aside from that, any mead influence goes unnoticed. It does, however, serve to temper the gueuze tones, which seems to belie many of this brew's strengths.
Streaming medium bodied. It appears quite light with its carbonated cloak.
I like this, but feel as though it is without a target audience. Gueuze geeks will look for something sharper and unadulterated. Gueuze haters will still turn their noses. Mead lovers will just scratch their heads, and ask why their beloved beverage was wasted on this bile.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

WARNING: The cap exploded once I undid the cage. Seriously people, aim it away from your face. I’m not joking.

Hazy honey-peachy gold hue, it is a lovely color but I barely can see it. My lord there is a tremendous amount of head, massive and uncontrollable. It took multiple pours get the entire bottle in my glass. The white head was awesome, very rocky. Once I got done pouring the beer I realized how great the head retention was; a small cap lasted forever. The subsequent lacing was minimal. So far I’ve been both scared and impressed. The nose is tart, very vibrant with oodles of funky notes, lemony, hay, a hint of pepper and clove, distant alcohol, and some fruity sweetness. The aromas seem mostly Gueuze in nature, as to be expected I guess, not to potent though. Still I’m intrigued. The palate is a bit of a disappointment? It is very airy and amazingly parched. Wow, this is a pleasant sensation, even the alcohol burn on the back of the throat is dry. The taste is somewhat simple, somewhat neutral with some tart young pears, cloves, and notes of raw but faint honey, a bit of wool and leather, and lemon acidity. The finish was hotter than sweet and funkier than I was expecting. I really could notice the Mead sweetness in the aftertaste; it is very contrasting. This is a dandy “little” beer. The high abv is hardly noticeable; it is quite beguiling while quaffing it. The carbonation is massive, champagne-like mouthfeel, I found it difficult to pinpoint the true bulk in the body and to the best of my ability I’d say it was medium/medium-light. I found Mead the Gueuze to be very drinkable and quite charming. There is definitely a time and a place for the beer; to bad I can’t get it locally. I purchased my bottle in Iowa City. I will get more.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Curiously the Mead came from a winery in Britain (Lurgashall Winery) while the gueuze is Belgian..

The cork launched from it’s bottle berth like a missile. The beer burst upon the scene in a torrent-- lucky my glass caught all! Nary a drop wasted.

The flavor is not as sweet as I anticipated, especially given the “mead” moniker. I don’t know what “Lurgashall Mead” tastes like thus I can’t get specific about its contribution to the union of flavors-- of Mead and Gueuze. There is a definite hint of honey mead in both the nose and the flavor start although overall the profile is not a honey sweet but a well balanced commingling of sweet and sour-like overtones. I find that the general flavor body to be a bit thin. Furthermore, the flavor complexity I’ve tasted in other gueuzes doesn’t manifest itself in this lambic blend. Relative flavor and finish is clean and lingering. The beer produces a foamy head.

In summary, an interesting and flavorful combination of Mead and traditional Gueuze.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Good lookin out drew for popping this open and almost shooting your eye out with the cork.

A: poured a brownish orange with pale yellowq highlights and had a thin bubbly head leaving a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: upfront I detected maple syrup and honey, with corky character, bretty funk, acidic notes but had citrus oak as well. Really nice blend of mead and gueuze.

T: the sour gueuze character came out more on the taste with honey mead notes, oaky, bretty funky accents and nice citrusy flavors on the end.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a lots of carbonation which had a sweet, citrusy,oaky, funky, and mild sour finish.

D: really glad I had the opportunity to try this brew and was excatly how I imagined it. Tasted great and was drinking good.

Mead The Gueuze from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba