Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Mead The Gueuze - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Mead The GueuzeMead The Gueuze

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Gueuze |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mead The Gueuze Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Got this bottle at the late Pitfield's Beer Shop (in London) close to its closure two years ago. At 9%abv., no freshness info. is stated anywhere on the label or bottle. Served cool in a large bulb wine glass.

A: pours a bright tawny colour, surprisingly clear, without much sign of a beer head apart from a rim of bubbles; faint traces of carbonation is spotted in the nectar. More elegant than a normal geuze~~
S: the Mead's (or thick honey's) nectar-ish sourness mixes pretty well with the Geuze's vinegary tarty edge, while adding a sweet thickness to the body; the barn-yard dampness and sharp woodiness of a gueze is somehow compromised here, and the overall impression of this Mead-Geuze even smacks slightly of a sweet strong cider!!
T: on the palate, mead flows underneath the geuze, as the cider-ish sour+musty and (marinated) starfruits' savoury-sweet flavour dances freely, albeit not even close to the genuine tartness of a real geuze... an unusually-intense, chewy, tannic-bitter, and complex undertone of dried grapefruit-peels, old vinegar, white rum, and dried hawthorn fruits gradually creeps up and steal the stage, then slowly yielding to a dryish and slightly vomit-stinky(!!) finish of Hanssens geuze as well as of a vintage cider... The alc. touch reveals itself in the most subtle way, ju...st enough to remind people of its hidden strength in the lo...ng end; but for some drinkers I suppose it's already too late!!
M&D: the mouthfeel is fantastic - it's soft, with microscopic fizziness to sparkle the palate skilfully; at 9%, it tastes just like a 5%-something. Although it is not quite complex as compared to a standard Hanssens geuze, but as a flavoured geuze it's absolutely drinkable and utterly enjoyable; what a shame that it's discontinued...

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

375ml green bottle, corked & caged; served in a snifter.

Highlights of gold that enhance a faint copper; light chill haze. Carbonation-filled, delicate foam that gives way to a whispy thin sheet. Faint, thin lacing with a bit of strength around the snifter.

Intensely sour fruit; hints of acidity, possibly a faint aroma of vinegar. Underlying touch of semi-sweet honey and a bit of light cognac.

Mellow, semi-sweet honey and light cream up-front. Oak, cedar, lightly toasted cashews. The tartness is very mild for a Gueuze, but it does have a light citrus flavor: orange rind, lemon zest, and green apple. The finish is dry with a mutsy, citrus-flavored aftertaste.

Light bodied; crisp, dry, and refreshing yet very earthen and woody. Mellow and well rounded.

Not a traditional Gueuze as it's a blend with a mead; and the sour intensity is definitely toned down, but a unique and flavorful concoction nonetheless.

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured out a golden orange color with no head and constant carbonation. The nose is a bit fruity, strawberry, lemon, socks, feet, pineapple, and alcohol. The taste is tropical fruit, pineapple, rotten melon, lemony, sour oranges, and alcohol. Has a light effervescent mouthfeel. Fairly drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Retired my ass! I just bought a few at Dilly Deli in Cincinnati....or should I have announced that? Regardless, this is a very good brew. Usually going for the sour Belgians especially when balanced with a malt sweetness or a honey addition, I found a lot of character in this brew. Obviously much more Gueuze character than Mead character. The beer is very tart and sour. Quite astringent in the taste and feel. Very vineous and tanin-ey. The sweetness of the Mead / honey offered little in sweetness, but did offer a lot of fullness, roundnes, and Alcohol. My complaint of Gueuze beers is that they are often too light on the alcoho; not a problem mere. Nearly 8%, but without the overwhelming thickness or richness often accompanied by big beers. Very true to Belgian Artisan Ales. Not for timid beer drinkers, or typical BA's for that matter.

This beer was served in a flute glass.

Appearance: The beer has a very clear golden coloration. The beer produced no head and no lacing to speak of. Tight bubbling carbonation rises in the glass.

Smell: The beer has a lemony sweet honey smell. The beer then proceeds into a sour musty apple smell. The beer has a very nice floral smell about it.

Taste: The beer leads with a bit of honey sweetness. This quickly breaks into a sour musty lemon and apple combo. The beer has a dry finish.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkablility: The beer is light bodied. The beer is very well carbonated. The acidity and sourness play well against the tart fruityness and bit of honey. This beer is not for everyone. It is a dam fine gueuze and easy to drink.

Appearance: Huge pop when cage is removed, then a fountain of beer. Thanks brewery, I didn't want to drink those 2 ounces of beer, anyways ;-). Body is a solid amber haze, glows in the light. A bit of sediment and some fast fading head, leaving a creamy white layer.

Smell: Fruity and honey sweet, like a perfectly ripe apple. Full and malty in the background.

Taste: Full of malt and sour mouth-puckering flavors. Citric and twangy, with spicy pepper and a little honey sweetness.

Drinkability: This beer is probably 4 years old, and I am pretty sure it is no worse for wear. Interesting, to say the least, for a style that is supposed to be harsh and sour, this pulls it off well.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

11.2 oz bottle
Pours a very nice golden copper with a huge white head. Retention is pretty lacking, but what remains of the head is a nice white cap of lacing and foam.
Smell is slight vinegar and farm blanket funk far overshadowed by bushels and bushels of peaches, apples, pears, and grapes. Fruity as all getout with just a hint of honey in the backbone.
Taste is uber fruity with green apples, peaches, grapes, and pears dominating. A slight tartness follows innitial sweetness, and all is balanced out by a surprisingly bitter hop flavor (something i'm not used to in a geuze).
Mouthfeel is moderate, with the flavors coating the tongue and not leaving much of an aftertaste.
Overall, a spectacular rendition of a geuze and a superb idea, blended fantastically, and just a very cool beer to try.

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%

Light Orange. Very aromatic, an equal balance between the sweet mead (apple) and the dry, tart traditional gueuze (lemon). Hints of peach are evident in the nose as well. A nice balance between mead and lambic, making it a less traditional but more approachable experience. Not my kind of drink though. I’d rather just have the Hanssens traditional Gueuze.

4.39/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This brew pours a clear golden-orange color. The head is small and white, and recedes within seconds. The aroma is of mix of sweet honey, and sour gueuze. The sweetness slightly overpowers the sourness. The taste is very balanced. Sweet and sour, but unlike the aroma the sourness slightly overpowers the sweetness. The mouthfeel is a bit lightler than medium bodied with active carbonation. Overall, this is a very enjoyable brew. It is the best of two worlds: mead and gueuze.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Well this is going to put me into the halls of beerdom with Beer Advocate as I will now be an initiate. Wow! Now I will have my own glass. Oh what a joy to be alive right now.

Appearance: This is the second time I have tried this one, so I am being careful of the explosive cork. The beer pours a clear slightly pinkish golden color with an inch head of active white foam. There are a bunch of bubbles rising to maintain the head.

Aroma: Really nice Gueuze aroma. There is a whole bunch of citrus and earthy notes rising from the glass. The aroma is such that I don’t even have to bring the beer to my face. I can judge it while it is on the other end of the table. It does have a bit sweeter aroma than most Lambic style beers, so I am assuming that this is the contribution of the mead. As it warms a touch, the aroma of gym socks comes out a lot more, along with some noticeable lemon.

Taste: This beer comes across as thin bodied and super carbonated. There is an assertive sour twang that gets you in the beginning of the flavor profile, but this doesn’t last long. There is a noticeable sweet and slightly floral presence that takes over, and sticks around for a while...at least what you can actually taste as the “scrubbing bubbles” wash over your palate and take the flavor with it. The finish is dry and slightly sweet. After the bubbles mellow out in the throat, you can pick out a bit of alcoholic warmth. As the beer warms, there is a more acidic flavor noticeable in the back of the throat. As the beer warms even more, there is a much sweeter and floral flavor coming out.

Opinion: I am a huge fan of Gueuze. This one has a really nicely inviting aroma, and smells like the real thing. When you get to the flavor, it is hindered a bit by the assertive carbonation. I am going to be drinking this beer for an hour or two, so we’ll see how it is warm and flat. I should have a good idea of its complexity at that point, but I will definitely say it is a bit too thin for my taste. I wouldn’t hesitate to drink it again, and I like it better than some of Lindemans blends (except the Cuvee Renee).

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mead the Gueuze is best served chilled (40-45F) in a champagne flute or lambic-style tumbler. This one pours up voluptuosly with a craggy white head that engulfs the deep straw-orangish golden body. The aroma is alive with an acidic fruitiness (lemon, lime, etc...) with some noteable earthiness (freshly cut hay, morning dew, etc...), but also has the added complexity from the barnyard aromatics & oak. The flavor starts off with some graininess and expected tartness, but comes off rather balanced as the clover spiciness, oakiness and vanilla come into play with the wheat berries. The finish is off-dry with a just a touch of alcohol & honey sweetness. This medium-light bodied specialty makes for an interesting apertif before dinner or try pairing with some key lime & tupelo honey grilled shrimp. Here's to a fine marriage for lambic & mead lovers!

CHEERS! Beertracker

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

12.7 ounce bottle. According to the bottle, this is made with 30% mead and 70% gueuze. I read some reviews of this beer before I opened it, so I was prepared for the exploding cork. This beer pours out yellow-orange with a ginormous white head. The aroma is vinegar, honey, lemon, and ass. The flavor is suprisingly tart at first, though it becomes slightly sweet with the honey flavor in the finish. The mead keeps this beer from being a regular kick-your-ass gueuze. It's not quite as funky as Hanssens regular gueze, though the uninitiated might find this extremely funky. No hint of alcohol. Damn good drinkability. This is really a unique and good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

Picked up a bottle of this on a recent lambic binge at Kahn's in Indy. This is probably the most potent lambic that I've ever had.

Cork flies off upon merely loosening the cage and it pours a very cloudy orange with an uncontrolable head that thankfully subsides after a few minutes in the glass. Champagne of Belgium indeed. Aroma confuses me a little bit when put up against taste. Aroma is very characteristic of a traditional gueuze, lots of sour notes and a decent amount of funk, but the taste presents a not so subtle sweetness that seems a bit of out of place. The sweetness, funkiness, and tart flavors all struggle for domination and it ends up just seeming out of balance. Cool idea but it just didn't work for me.

2.17/5  rDev -44.1%

Appearance - gold honeyed color in a Belgian glass. Extremely high effervescence yields 3 fingers of foam instantly. The soft bubbled head recedes unevenly to a thin solid cover. Lots of bead action off the bottom of the glass bowl.

Aroma - sharp lemony nose, lots of spiciness and a musty funkiness that isn't too offputting. I'm not a fan of that particular odor but it's not so bad. Still, I'm non-committal at this point.

Taste - tangy and sour. Kind of a cross between lemon and sour apple. The funkiness is still there and honestly, is still unpleasant to me. The high abv fotunately pops in, boozing up and amplifying the citrusy flavor enough for me to concentrate on that instead. I'm just not getting what I'm supposed to like about that ripe sweatsock flavor. If it's something acquired I will occasionally check up on and try this style during my lifelong beer adventure.

Mouthfeel - maximum bubbliness, you can't even get an initial taste until the champagne level bubbles get off your tastebuds. Lively and refreshing feel.

Drinkability - not something *I'd* buy, it just doesn't match up well on my palate.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearence: Pours a hazy orange with a giant off-white head that fizzles away to damn near nothing.

Smell: When fresh out of the bottle, the smell burnt my nose, but now (about 5 minutes later) it's realitvely calm, with tart and sweet notes.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The flavor is crazy. It's sweet and fizzy, but still fruity, with giant honey notes. The mead adds such odd and simple complexity. The fruitiness kind of contrasts with the sticky sweetness of the honey, but it creates a wonderfully interesting flavor. The mouthfeel is fizzy and clingy.

Drinkability and Overall: What we have here is a very unique and interesting beer. Unlike anything else I've ever had, and I personally really enjoyed it. It may not be for everyone, but it's definitly worth a shot.

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

I can't believe that I am still alive after taking the cage off of this 375 ml bottle- the cork shot off like a cannon. The loudest pop, the fastest cork in the west. I hurt my finger and scared the crap out of the people in the room. I was expecting the ceiling to collapse any second. I wished I had read the warnings of other reviewers, because it is real, it is true. Wow. This beer gets points for getting attention.

Pours with a huge (and I mean huge) head with yellow, hazy beer below. Did I say lots of carbonation?

Aroma- guueze-like sour. No notes of honey/mead you might expect. Horseblanket and farmyard and funk.

Flavor is very different- the geueze sour is there, but it is tempered by the mead- there is some sweet notes, but they don't stand up to the gueuze. It is impossible for me to describe what's going on here. But the two flavors don't balance each other at all.

After that, though, I've gotta say, I just don't get this beer. I love Hanssens Gueuze, but this beer makes no sense to me. The ratings above make no sense- what am I comparing it to? To be honest, it boils down to the fact that I just didn't like this beer. I'm sorry to say that, because it is a very cool idea, but I can't go there.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

This came in a 350mL bottle with a cork in it. Pours a pale golden color with a tall white head that fades completely away, but takes a couple minutes. The aroma is mostly comprised of a honey sweetness. A little earthy and sour as well. The flavor has a lot of carbonation, very champagne-like. A little tart and pretty sweet. This is interesting for me - not nearly as sour as a gueuze, which I like. I probably won't have it again, but I'm glad I tried it.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance – This one is a bright orangish-yellow in color with tons of carbonation and a nice, full head.

Smell – The sour lemons lead things off here and they are terrific. The aroma is very deep and exciting. The requisite farm smells are earthy, not superficial. Well done.

Taste – There are some strong bitter notes I missed at the nose that packed quite a wallop at the taste. The raw lemon peel came out next and then . . . ‘lo and behold, a nice kick from the mead. The light malty honey was an excellent compliment. They say the mix is 70/30 and that seems to be just about right.

Mouthfeel – This one is almost medium-bodied but not quite. The light sourness will pucker your cheeks, but not excessively so. Together the gueuze and mead flavors give your mouth quite the welcome ride.

Drinkability – Finally a gueuze that I can drink more than one of. This was a brilliant idea whoever came up with it and flawlessly executed.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

The cork in this 375ml was really stuck. I had to get a pair of pliers out to pop the cork. The cork disgorged and a foaming geyser quickly spilled from the bottle. It kept going for a good 15 seconds before I got tired of seeing my beer on the counter so I started pouring.

It has a nice slightly hazed burnished gold color with a hint of brass. The head settles quickly like champagne, but a thin skin of bubbles constantly covers the top. Served at 50 deg F in a Chimay chalice.

Smell is quite nice with apple cider, honey, lavender and a hint of brown sugar and molasses.

Taste is not quite as complex as the nose. Sharp cider and lemon flavors predominate with some pepper and a hint of green herbs in the back. Finishes sweeter than tart, but still balanced. Good, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is good with the herbal dryness preparing the palate for another sip. Carbonation is just on the bad side of prickly, but still cleansing. Feels much like champagne.

I don't think I could drink more than one of these at a time. The sourness tires my mouth quickly.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

The beer decamps the 375ml green corked and wired bottle a luminous gold with a massive bubbly white head with the resultant lace a thin covering upon the glass. Nose is devastatingly tart, sour apples and a little musk at the end, start is lightly sweet with a pleasing grain profile, the top is thin. Finish id ferine in its acidity, vinous with a desert dry aftertaste, a yummy brew tis true, the mead gives it a bit of uniqueness, very nice.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Opaque pale golden in color with 1/2 inch head that rapidly settles. Extremely effervescent.

Has a champagne quality to it with undertones of hops and honey.

Like a party in my mouth! Champagne flavors are whisked away by bubbles to reveal some licorice characteristics and finally a bitter banana finish that lingers. Interesting brew. Well worth the $3.29!!!

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

A little bit of age. The nose has calmed down significantly. The carbonation is still violent (the cork explodes the second you loosen the cage). Honey has given way to bright lemon with some gueuze funk -- very Gruner Veltliner -- a wonderful match with fish. Controlled and, indeed, dynamic.

Original rating: 3.95
Musty and earthy on the nose with definite mead influence, herbal, spiced, and honeyed. Also applely and huge on champagne qualities. Though many compare the effervescence of traditional lambics to the bubbly, rarely do they actually match up because of most lambics incredibly tough acidity. And, while there is Krug, most champagne is much more palateable.

But Mead the Gueuze drinks in every way like a bready, yeasty champagne like Rodez or Sugot special club.

This is a wonderful achievement for brewing -- a food wine, er, beer that begs for baguette and sharp cheddar.

Relax, relax.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Good lord! After two mere twists of the braided tie on the restraining cage, the entire nosepiece shot off like a bottle rocket on the 4th of July, with a "bang" just as loud, and nearly imbedded itself in the ceiling.
I've since located the cork, but the cage is MIA. I'm also feeling rather fortunate. Had my head been a few inches to the right, I'd likely be either blind or nursing a swollen head and a concussion.

Be careful with this beast. For real. Point it away from the body. Light fuse and get away.

Now for what matters.

Golden hued with rushing carbonation that ever-replenishes the off-white head.
The nose is gueuze, first and foremost. Soured apples and pino grigio. Misty, farmy, horsey, tart, rancid, acidic. The mead holds no trump over the aroma.
The taste, too, is gueuze dominated. Ripe and sharp up front. Apples and pears in all their acid-spewing glory. Acetic acid undercurrents with wafts of farmier things. Vinous white grape pinnings, twisted with lemon. The yeast nuance is generally light. Honey on the follow through, with some vanilla baggage. Aside from that, any mead influence goes unnoticed. It does, however, serve to temper the gueuze tones, which seems to belie many of this brew's strengths.
Streaming medium bodied. It appears quite light with its carbonated cloak.
I like this, but feel as though it is without a target audience. Gueuze geeks will look for something sharper and unadulterated. Gueuze haters will still turn their noses. Mead lovers will just scratch their heads, and ask why their beloved beverage was wasted on this bile.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

WARNING: Do not point the corked business end of this bottle at anyone. Before I had even totally loosened the cage, the cork left orbit.

EDIT:should have read the reviews first! Hysterical!

My bottle says 7.9%

Cloudy golden with very vigorous carbonation. I've never seen bubbles this large in any beverage. Huge white head that fades quickly.

If you like the smell of a lambic, you find this to be a bit sweeter. My eyes didn't begin to water immediately.

As it warmed the nose became more mead-like.

Nice and tart, but not too acidic in the finish. I do find various mead flavors that fade in and out, but if I didn't know this was a blend, I wouldn't have picked up on them (or imagined them). I can pick up on the wheat in this beer which is a lambic first for me.

As it has warmed I find honey in the back of my throat. Interesting.

Feels like a lambic. Very carbonated and a sharp acid tongue bite. Perfect.

Because this isn't too acidic I could a few bottles of this. While I love lambics it can sometimes be hard to finish a single bottle.

Without a doubt the smoothest gueuze I have ever had. Will it convince your lambic hating friends to love the style? No, but they might say that this one isn't as shitty as the others you've made them try. If you are somewhat intimidated by gueuzes try this one first, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

I was unaware of the legend of the self-popping cork, fool that I am, or maybe I just forgot, but I made the mistake of pausing after inserting the screw, to get a glass of water, when, BAM!!! ---the thing shot out, opener and all, and in this case, all is my keychain, attached to the opener!
Then, out wafts that certain citric, funky, musty, dank olfactory aura, even from afar. Let's creep in for a closer inspection...That's it, alright, lemony, sour, deep and singular, call it horse-blanket or barnyard, or sour persimmons, buster, it is what it is!
Appearance: light, clear, golden color, very short, near-non-existent, pure white head, that lingers as tiny bubbles around the edges. Great effervescence, though, with bubble, constantly shooting forth.
Taste: pucker, wince, grimace...swalow, sip, repeat...very dry, after that initial souring, lightly drifts off the palate, without actually losing the flavor, it remains as an echo of this sharp, yet somehow sudenly soft, character. Now, I know what's going on, all of a sudden, and it is very intriquing: after the shock of the lambic on the palate, curling the tastebuds, the mead starts to peek through, as if calling the tongue back with the promise of sweetness and light, honey tones take over lemon, and a great blend gets going, with apple notes, too, pear and melon.
Now, I like it, now it's a thing I enjoy consuming. A very nice creation, perfect mellow desert choice, if your sweet tooth is not so predictable and sugar-bent as others.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast