Hanssens Experimental Raspberry - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Hanssens Experimental RaspberryHanssens Experimental Raspberry

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: brownbeer on 09-24-2009

Ale fermented with raspberries and matured in oak barrels.
Ratings: 217 | Reviews: 106
3.94/5  rDev +15.2%

A- pours an orange tinted amber color. No head to speak of just a bit of bubbles that form at the end of the pour. Very low fine soft carbonation.

S- Huge barnyard horseblanket funk aromas explode into the nose. Notes of wet hay and lactic acidity interwoven with a mellow oakiness. Finish is dry with a hint of iced tea and a kiss of raspberries with all the sugars fermented completely out.

T- big predomanatly oak and coating explosive funky flavors of horseblanket and musty wet hay with a hint of mint strikes your palate right ou of the gate. The raspberries are subtle and delicate but give a nice off set to the intense acidity. Finishs is oaky and funky.

MF- mouthfeel is slick and acidic with an imtensly dry finish. Low carbonation and a medium body.

D- not an incredibly drinkable lambic bit one that you will be glad to have tried.

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Served in a La Chouffe tulip.

A- very light amber, somewhat clear

S- barnyard funk, some tart fruits.

T- Sour/tart fruits, vinegar lasts throughout the beer

M- thin with some acidic finish, light but not real easy to drink

O- somewhat disappointing. Liked their oude kriek a lot. Has a lot of sour/tart notes but not a lot of distinguisable fruit notes.

4.37/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml corked and caged bottle drank from my duvel tulip. bottle reads "lot a." thats all the bottling information that i can find.

A- the cork comes out with barely a pop. this is going to be a pretty still pour. sure enough, there is little to no head on top of the reddish pink colored body that is translucent. there is no head left behind.

S- the nose is alive with the scent of fresh raspberries. nothing artificial about this. very sweet with a sharp lactic sourness. a little bit of underlying barnyard like funk.

T- the taste starts out with more of the fresh raspberries that i could smell. very fresh, juicy, and real tasting. there is a sharp lactic sourness that hits after that. its not quite as powerful as the smell would indicate, but its stronger than your average framboise. the barnyard like funk that i could smell comes through a little bit in the taste as well.

M- the beer is still. no carbonation at all. the body is a solid medium. its puckering, but not overpowering. very dry finish.

O- this is something id like to try again, and i think ill grab a couple to age. this is probably the best raspberry lambic that i have had. check this one out.

4.09/5  rDev +19.6%

Blind Beer #4 from Khazadum, with the text: "I hope by now you've forgiven me. This should make up for it..."

Corked and caged bottle, snifter/flute/tulip glassware recommendation... I shudder and instinctively head to the sink to open this one. Luckily the cage has the consumer in mind and actually wants to come off, and the bottle doesn't do it's best baking soda volcano impression. Phew. Into the Cantillon wine glass again.

A - I can't really say I've had a beer this color before. It's a dark, deep red, but has a cool sunburst of orange and brown to it as well. It's absolutely and completely still; I didn't get even the faintest hint of a head here. Likewise, no lacing here as a result. It sort of looks like apple cider with more red to it. Based on the appearance alone I'm narrowing this down to a lambic or gueuze (not really a bold statement.) (3.5/5)

S - I take a half-whiff and immediately change my guess to a gueuze. This is really damn sour and funky. Like, if you rode your horse 15 miles to visit your closest neighbor, that wouldn't come close to the barnyard farmhouse country I'm getting here. Lots of lemon and tart cherry and raspberries, and that sort of weird feet smell you somehow think of. My nose is puckering much like I anticipate my mouth will be. (4.5/5)

T - Yep, that's pretty damn sour. Surprisingly I'm getting a little bit of malt as well, but there's a good amount of Bretty yeast ready to take over soon thereafter. The lemon, citrus, and cherries bring a lot of the flavor, along with the souring bugs that made themselves at home in this beer. Again, very musty and has a damp characteristic to it. (4/5)

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with almost no carbonation. I can see some bubbles sticking to the glass, but am not getting much in the mouth. Not incredibly dry, but has a crisp finish that's somewhat smooth. I can definitely feel the sides and corners of my mouth pucker long after this is gone. (4/5)

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. I find it hard to rate the drinkability of lambics and gueuzes as a little bit goes a long way, but I really enjoyed drinking this one. The flavors are balanced but it still gives off a strong sour vibe. I'm digging this. (4/5)

I'm going to stick with my gut and pick gueuze for this. No idea on the brewery.

The reveal: Hanssens Lambic Experimental Raspberry. Again I'm surprised here. I did mention the slight raspberry in the taste but wouldn't have pegged this for a framboise.

Both of the lambics I had today totally eluded me on their 'primary' fruit components, so either they are more faint than I would've expected or I need to drink more lambics...

It seems Khazadum picked up on the fact that I'm slowly trying to break into sours, and he kicked my ass off the cliff in that regard so far!

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Poured into snifter. Not sure on the year, it just says Lot B.

Appearance is orange-amber in color with a tinge of redness to it, not much of a head showing up so the carbonation is obviously very low. This is not to knock it though as some would - at least according to the BJCP, real lambics are supposed to be uncarbonated.

Aroma is definitely acidic mainly with a strong oak note and an even stronger musty, dusty character. It is however lacking any real raspberry character to me. A bit one dimensional I'd say, but seems quite appropriate for a lambic.

Taste is quite interesting. Initially it is a sweet/sour sensation and upon swallowing an odd funky musty character blasts the tongue, in a good way. Leaves me feeling like a just licked a dusty wooden plank in the brewery, again in a good way.

Mouthfeel is not bad despite the low carbonation, it actually makes it quite soft and I think it really brings the brewery character right to the forefront.

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. It's very unique and it will be quite hard for some to appreciate these wonderful characteristics.

3.57/5  rDev +4.4%

Body is orange-gold. Pours with little carbonation, produces no head or lace.

Smell is wild, with notes of tobacco, vinegar, vanilla, and raspberry.

Tastes of fresh raspberries, but this is quite sour and wild funky. It has an acetic acid, vinegary punch. A dry finish. A bit too acidic for my taste.

Body is light and no carbonation gives this a flat mouthfeel, but that is typical for most lambics.

Overall, if this is an "experiment" it is more interesting than the various other commercial fruit lambics that are sweet and use fruit syrups, but it is not up to par with other artisanal versions, being too acidic--bordering on vinegar, actually.

3.14/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to wisconsinality for crack this bottle recently. Split into tulips.

A: Cork pops without a sound. Cloudy pink orange hue. No head no lace. Looks flat as tap water.

S: Sharp sour acidic aroma is the first thing that grabs your nose. Mild raspberries, pool toys, modest wet straw and moldy funk. Seems to lack any real depth of a typical lambic.

T: The flavor is much less sour than the nose had led me to believe. Mild sweet raspberry flavor with a hint of lactic sour. Some new plastic and bit of barnyard funkiness.

M: Light thin body. No carbonation.

O: Nothing horrible but not really exciting either. Hanssens makes an incredible gueuze and kriek. So it's surprising this falls so flat.

2.36/5  rDev -31%

A: It pours a very crystal clear pale amber. Once it's in the glass it becomes a rosy red...blood orange color. The bottom of the bottle has yeast in it. There is no head at all.

S: I don't even have to get near the glass to smell the sour yeasty scent. Smelling it though screams LAMBIC in capitol letters to your nose. Very sour, but no fruity raspberry scent. There's a bit of a musty barn smell to it.

T: This has a very, very powerful and sour tart flavor. It still doesn't taste like raspberries which I'm surprised. I'm not really impressed with the flavor and it really could have left the raspberry off the label. It really doesn't have that ripe aftertaste that you get from other beers fermented with raspberry.

M: It's very light-bodied and is not effervescent. It's very dry and puckery.

O: I wouldn't buy it again. I expected it to have some raspberry flavor, but instead it leans on the sour lambic style to pass itself off.

3.21/5  rDev -6.1%

poured 375 into a russian river snifter.

a - no pop with the cork whatsoever. a lovely slightly peachy-pink color with no head at all. what a nice color! but is it flat!?

s - woah definitely fruity and funky. it smells sweet but challenging. kinda has some of the cough-syrupy tangy odor some lambics have that i dont really like but we'll see..

t - fruity vinegar with the tartness of the ripest raspberries you could find. whew!! luckily a lot of the smells i didnt like disapear in the taste but damn is this sour! basically flat, if anything a slight carbonation. no intense aftertaste, just a kick in the face of gnarly fruit madness.

m - very wine-like, slightly buttery/oily mouthfeel. the tartness perks up the pallet before it even has a chance to kick in to let you know that somethings up.

o - you know, i didnt like the flat strawberry lambic but this one is better in my opinion. before i popped the cork i told myself id run to grab another one tomorrow to leave it in my fridge for a while but i dont know thats gonna happen. nonetheless, i certainly enjoyed the experience as i do with most sour beers.

3.06/5  rDev -10.5%

I was excited to try this beer since I had heard very good things about Hanssen's Oude Gueuze and have a bottle of that which I'm looking forward to opening this weekend.

The smell is certainly strong and lets you know off the bat that you're going to be drinking something sour. Its almost like a the smell of wine mixed with vinegar.

The color is a pinkish orange. I was excited due to the lack of head and lacing which I have read is indicative of a long aged lambic.

The first sip was quite shocking and the sourness hit hard, but subsequent sips were far smoother. Once the initial sourness was gone, I found it somewhat hard to detect the taste of raspberries, just a lingering tartness without much in terms of flavor. Once its down though the taste did not linger.

I have to say, this wasn't too bad of a lambic but I'd have to say I enjoyed something like St Loius Fond Tradition Gueuze quite a bit more.

Update: I have since tried Hanssen's Oude Gueuze which I have found to be the best Lambic I have ever tried.

3.47/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a caged-and-corked 375mL green-glass bottle into my Drie de Fonteinen tumbler.

Despite a vigorous pour, there is no real head formation let alone retention. No lacing, no legs. Hazy coquelicot liquid is very pretty.

Potent wild yeast - the nose is full of funk. Vinuous oaky aromatics with fermenting (rather than fresh) raspberries. Attics, cellars, and badger sweat.

Red-wine vinegar, berry coulis, faint honey, goat-buttermilk, and lemon zest on the palate. More oak comes out in the finish, suggesting the ghosts of zinfandel, toast, and rainwater. Vinegar comes to the front as the beer warms.

A bit too slick, and quite astringent, though the low levels of carbonation work well here.

Has the funk of a well aged lambic without sacrificing the fruit (which usually fades tremendously after age sufficient to bring out the wild notes present here) - though the oak introduces further vinuous qualities which interfere with the pure flavors of a more traditional framboise. Not cheap, but worth trying.

3.82/5  rDev +11.7%

(375ml bottle). Pours a hazy red/pink color with no head. Looks almost like juice. Aroma is raspberry, some funk and wood. Taste follows suit, but with a little more sweetness and as the beer warms becomes much more sour and quite vinegary.. Thin to medium bodied. Finish is dry. Not quite the beer I expected, but it is tasty

2.82/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle. Cork comes off with a very muted pop, sign of things to come? Poured into a Great Lakes tulip glass a rosy pink color with absolutely no head, booo. Slightly sweet raspberry in the nose along with some underlying barnyard funk. Light mouthfeel. Hmm, the carbonation level is a serious downfall on this one. Mildly sour with some underlying raspberry notes. Vinegar ending.

1.82/5  rDev -46.8%

A - Pours a hazy grapefruit pink. Little head and less lacing.

S - Smells like my garbage can if I leave fruit in the trash and leave town for a week. Perhaps also the crotch of one who hasn't showered recently.

T - I'm glad this is only an experiment...hopefully one that won't be repeated. There are some raspberry notes but the overreaching sourness that seemed to just be sour for sour's sake.

M/D - Mouthfeel is harsh and biting with nothing to really enjoy with little carbonation. You want to get it out of your mouth as fast as possible. Not very drinkable....

3.35/5  rDev -2%

A-clear red color with zero head
S-OK smelling. Raspberries are there for sure but very sour and old.
T-terrible to start out but pretty decent finish. Cherries thoughout and goes from bad to decent.
M-light bodied and crisp. Uncarbonated
D-very drinkable. Taste was gone in no time

3.38/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a flat, reddish apple juice with no head an no pop from the cork.

Smells like rotten bleu cheese and garbage (thanks for the reference, Mark!). Wow, this is crazy. Lemon, sour fruits of some kind.

The taste is flat. Mild raspberry essence in the mouthfeel (though no in the nose). I actually didn't mind this beer.

Quite intense and interesting.

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

On the side of the 375 ml bottle it has the A marked. The first smell of this is: musky, tart, and a slit raspberry.
It Indeed tasted very very tart. I wish there was more raspberry taste to this. This could be very young and not ready to drink. Not a fan of this and would want to try this again if it was aged for a little while.

2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

Found my old notes on this one. This review is from the first batch.

A: Pours a bright pink-red color with no head and no carbonation.

S: Definitely lots of raspberries here, but also a lot of just about every kind of vinegar and acid you can imagine. Intensely sour on the nose. I love sour beers, but this is making me scared to drink it.

T: This is the epitome of puckering. The sourest beer I'd had at the time and now only rivaled by Trinity Old Growth. Raspberry is still there, surprisingly, but the intense lactic acid along with an excess of white vinegar overshadow it completely.

M: Slick and flat on the tongue. Medium in body, I suppose.

D: I like sour beers, really sour beers, too. But this was a lot to ask of someone. I'm still afraid to try the new batch.

3.66/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to schen9303 for this one. 2010 vintage. Poured from a 12.7oz. corked and caged bottle into a Brooklyn brewery snifter.

A: Cork opens without a sound. Standard pour yields a single layer of coarse, white bubbles that dissipates quickly. Beer is a stunningly attractive clear red. No head retention and no lacing. I'd make this mark lower, but the color is just incredible.

S: Nose is funky as can be. Moldy cheese with significant wet straw, cobwebs, wood, and pure raspberry puree. Very pungent and aromatic. Possibly one of the most funkalicious fruit lambics I've smelt in a while.

T: Opens raspberry puree sweetness that turns sour very quickly. Increasingly sour towards the middle and intensifying further towards the end. A bit of vinegar peeks over right before the finish which is drying and seems to suck all the moisture from my mouth, cheeks, and teeth. Aftertaste is more of the same lingering, intensely sour raspberry fruit and seeds. An overwhelming beer to be sure but not the most complex

M: Light to medium bodied and a bit watery in the mouth. Completely still with absolutely no bubbles. Smooth going down and very dry and spicy towards the finish which is puckering. Aftertaste lingers. Feel is pretty on point given the style and although it doesn't serve the appearance well, I actually appreciate the flatness here.

D: A solid slightly better than middle-of-the-road fruit lambic here. There's not a whole lot of complexity and besides the color of the beer, its not much to actually look at. But the feel is impressive and it has potential to develop in my opinion. Worth revisiting at some point with some age on it.

2.45/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours red/brown, hazy, zero bubbles or head of any kind.

Smells like vinegar, with some deeper, non-sweet berry flavors beneath.

Taste is similar--very tart and sour, with a sour fruitiness that is almost too tart and past-ripe. It's like old berries decayed in this beer. The complete lack of carbonation makes this taste like a juice/vinegar combo.

Mouthfeel is fine, though a bit of carbonation would be nice.

I'm not super well versed in lambics, but I've had a few and I find this one really tough to drink.

3.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into an Allagash chalice. Not much pop when taking out the cork leads me to believe there isn't much carbonation here. It is quite still when poured. Just a few tiny bubbles line up single file around the rim of the glass. The color is remarkably clear and ruby. So very good color, disappointing bubbles.

The aroma is oaky and sour. A hint of raspberry sweetness is detected after really sticking my nose in there. This is a pretty clean aroma; not much funk, just tartness.

The start is very lemony and sour. An ever-so-slightly sweet kiss of raspberry in the finish mixed with the wood flavor balances this one out (if you could call this type of beer balanced).

The mouthfeel is smooth and light. No carbonation is detected at all. A little bit would have been nice, but as mentioned before in some of my previous reviews, I don't really mind flatter beer.

This one was actually pretty enjoyable. A nice fruity one that gives a good relatively clean tartness.

4.48/5  rDev +31%

The pink is spectacular here. The smallest bubbles I have ever seen. This appearance is def. a 5.
Smell is sour berry and berry skin with sugar cherry wafers. The malt is wonderful here.
Taste is cherry/raspberry and I mean a real strong sour berry flavor. Then the sugar comes in just barely coming into play.
Sour wins.
Mouthfeel is sticky for sure. As sour as this is, there is a lot of sugar making this very sticky.
Drinkability is only as good as the availability of this beer.

3.74/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from 375ml bottle in tulip wine glass.

A: Very interesting color almost neon orange! The most accurate description I can come up with is starburst orange. Almost no head and no lace.

S: Very nice nose! Sour raspberry/ Vinegar/ Goat cheese/ Slight barnyard/ menthol/ clove

T: The sour raspberry hits you upfront with vinegar notes. On the mid palate the goat and barnyard hits you and the finish presents menthol and clove with a nice sour backbone. The finish of this beer is fairly long.

MF: Nothing really special on the mouth, a little thin and watery.

D: Pretty easy to drink this beer, however, one bottle seems about right.

Overall:
Given the other reviews I was a little concerned about this beer and when I poured the beer I got really nervous, however, the smell and taste was quite good. There are many other beers of this style I enjoy more so I probably will not seek this beer out again, but it was a good one off.

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a pinkish bubbly brown in color with brown highlights that had a very thin head and left almost no lacing sticking to the glass. There was definitely some raspberries in the aroma with bretty barrel oaky funk, lemony citrus, and faint vinegar notes however it did have acidic character. The raspberries were more apparent on the palate with mild tart flavors but did come with oaky brett funky accents and a touch of lemony citrus notes. The brew was light to medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a sweet, oaky, funky, citrusy, fruity, tart, and dry finish. I really like my sour beers but this one was a little too sweet for me up front and was lacking the sour punch. It still drank good and was a decent fruit lambic.

3.64/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Body is a completely transparent rose hue-pours with no head.

S- I like the nose of this brew. Slightly tart, acidic raspberry. Nose is a very good balance of sweet and tart with a very mild presence of wet oak barrel in the background.

T- Mild to Moderately sour at first with an acidic tartness and a highlight of both tart and sweet raspberry flavor and a very mild oak presence. The tartness intesnifies for the finish and a moderate amount of acidic tartness lingers.

M- Medium weight, slightly thin body that is completely flat.

D- This beer is a nice sour overall and highlights the raspberry well. Its not very complex and the fact that there is no carbonation really detracts from the otherwise well put together brew.

Hanssens Experimental Raspberry from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba