Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic

good

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002)

4.97/5  rDev +32.9%

A - pours a pale golden see through. Obviously no head.

S - !!! Beautiful strawberry and funk. So stinking sour just from the nose.

T - intense! Very fresh, un ripe strawberries. Very funky. Loads of strawberries and very funky. I love it.

M - medium bodied and no carbonation.

O - this is the best lambic I've had. It's so perfect. I love every part about it.

4.75/5  rDev +27%

4.75/5  rDev +27%

4.7/5  rDev +25.7%

Had this at Monk's and am in the process of trying to find it available out here in Seattle. Normally I am not a big fan of lambics as I find them too fruity but this one is superb. Poured a hazy orange with a non-existent head. Carbonation was pretty high also contributing some to the flavor. Sugary strawberries hit you in the nose but the fruit smell is not nearly as you would get in a Lindemanns brew. The tartness in this beer and the overall flavor reminded me very much of Rodenbach Grand Cru, just replace the cherry like flavors with strawberry and you get an idea what you are in for. An absolutely outstanding brew that even managed to convince my girlfriend that tart beers are not all bad. I found the brew to be amazingly complex and am especially glad Tom Peters recommended it.

(Update) K's in Bellevue had it in stock.

4.65/5  rDev +24.3%

I served this gem in a « Cristal ». While pouring no head developed, but a lot of carbonation was visible. When the glass was filled the beer came to rest.
The colour of the beer is a clear amber orange. No head, no lacing, no carbonation.
The scent gives the promised strawberries combined with the typical Lambiek Barnyard elements. Scent is quite sour.
It tastes overall sour. Slight influences of strawberry
During the aftertaste the sourness declines and the strawberry taste becomes stronger.
When I added the yeast, the beer became misty. The taste didn’t really change. The sourness became lesser and the strawberry taste became more present.
Mouthfeel is overall sour.

4.65/5  rDev +24.3%

Well...the beer is flat. Completely flat. Lambics I'm pretty sure are supposed to be pretty effervescent. Decent color though. Nice bright light orange.

Really interesting nose. Big Lambic funk...Brett and other funkier nasties, but a really pleasing sweet strawberry scents hiding in there. Very nice.

Really nice flavor. Not nearly as agressive as Hanssen's Oud Gueuze. But still has the nice funk. Strong funk actually, but not as painful as the Oud Gueuze. Still there but definately tamed a bit by the strawberry I imagine. Very nice sweetish (but not sweet just tastes that way ??) strawberry finish. Really fantastic actually. Really nice bitter strawberry. Really really really nice.

Decent, but would be way better with some gas.

I could drink a ton of these. I give it a 5 for Lambics. Not in general.

4.63/5  rDev +23.8%

This beer pours a slightly cluody golden orange color with almost no head. What head there is, is thin and white, and fades quickly.

This beer has a nice tart strawberry aroma. It also has an earthy funky yeast aroma. It smells slightly sour.

This beer tastes much like it smells, with one notable exception. I taste strawberry only very mildly. It tastes funky with some earthy flavors from the yeast. The sourness is great.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a sour aftertaste. It is very low in carbonation, but fitting for the style.

This beer might make a good session beer. It is easy to drink. I just dont know how long I could drink a sour beer before it becomes cloying.

Overall: I liked this beer. I got it at the Liars Club. I am sure glad they suggested it.

4.63/5  rDev +23.8%

Big thanks to Beersack for hooking me up with this and so many other brews.

A - It pours with a daunting appearance: peach, hazy and still, suggesting a ruggedly acidic character.

S - Big tart and lactic notes, vinegar-y oak, sulfur, char and mineral make up the very impressive nose. Fruit is no where to be found, this is closer to an unblended Lambic or Gueuze in the nose.

T - The ghost of strawberry is buried deeply beneath a very dry Lambic. Starts quite tart; sweet flavor, like ripe strawberry, appears briefly. It is not actually sweet, but it is a flavor associated with sweetness so it lends the impression. Very nice stuff, actually one of the best Lambics I've had in a while.

M - Puckering, dry, drying, and then mouthwatering on the totally clean finish. Awesome.

D - I'll drink this anytime, anywhere.

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

2000 vintage... mostly still with just a touch of carbonation bubbling up through the pink amber liquid. not much to speak of here. pretty much what i expected. age has done this one well and the nose is mostly earthy, wild must with just a hint of strawberry and wood coming through. it seems like mostly everything sweet has been eaten by the yeast. awesome. elegant. taste is sour and wild, balanced by what used to be strawberry and rounded out by the oak. refreshing and tart with a slick, medium mouthfeel that goes down way too easy. not too sour, not too wild. elegant and classy, this is always one of my favorite lambics.

edit: after having a relatively fresh bottle, I realized how lucky i was to find a bunch of old bottles. the fresher is a lot more tart and sour, and definitely loaded with strawberries. still an awesome beer, but needs a few more years to come in to it's own. laying a few of these down is a great idea.

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. Lot C.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a mostly clear bright golden peach color with a 1/8 to 1/4” loosely bubbled head that soon recedes to leave a ring of medium large bubbles and a thin partial layer of foam. Sipping leaves no lacing at all as any bubbles slide back down to the ring.

Smell: The aroma here is a complex mix of several things that take a while to sort out and even then I’m not sure I recognize them all. From the moment the bottle is opened onwards there is a musty, earthy, leathery character that overlays a trace of fruit that has to be strawberry but which has more of a citric character than I usually think of with strawberry. While it takes some getting used to I don’t find it unpleasant.

Taste: The first sip puckers the mouth quickly and then the tartness begins to spread. Initially the impression is of lemon that turns into some sour apple that then transforms into mild strawberry with a light touch of sweetness as it rolls back across the tongue. Meanwhile the sides of the mouth are still feeling the pucker from the tartness and way back in the retro-nasal area there is still some citric character. Mingling in here and there throughout are the musty, earthy, leathery bits that let you know this is a lambic.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is on the light side of medium bodied with only some faint prickly carbonation. The finish is on the long side and is very complex. From the lemon tartness it seems to mellow out into a lightly sweet strawberry flavor before the dry astringency finishes things off.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: I’m finding this beer is surprisingly drinkable. Given the aromas and flavors and some of the descriptions I read before buying it I didn’t expect to enjoy it so much, but I think that this beer suffers from the inadequacy of words alone to convey the rich complexity of a sensory experience like this. I won’t hesitate to buy another bottle of this one when I encounter it. Its not something for every night but it is definitely a treat. My overall impression is of a beer that is extraordinarily complex and that I personally am giving high marks based on that complexity and the fact that I’m enjoying this one so much.

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

Bottled in 2000, purchased at the Stuffed Sandwich.

A: No real carbonation to speak of. Dark golden color with a hue of crimson. Hazy and mysterious.

S: Highly acidic aroma with a nice backdrop of berries and hay. Touches of tomato vines.

T: Starts off very dry. Strawberry sweetness immediately frolics across the center of the tongue. Hints of tomato juice and lemon. Almost like a gueze bloody mary. Tang lingers on the lips long after the swallow.

M: Dry yet rounded. Enough carbonation to add a nice bite.

D: I was really impressed by this beer. With a higher carbonation level it would have been extraordinary. I think the age on the bottle must have done it in. But with that age came remarkabled smoothness.

GLASS: Tulip
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
Says 'Limited Edition Year 2000' on label (Vintage?)

This pours a golden orange color with a light pink tint to it. Almost exactly what I'd expect a strawberry beer to look like, but they generally don't. A tiny head forms and rapidly dissipates. No lacing to speak of.

The nose has a very light strawberry scent and a boatload of sour/tangy presence. There is definitely some serious barnyard funk happening here, too. Hay, blanket and wet horse. Nice hints of oakiness, also. A slight touch of dustiness, but not in an 'old' way, this smells very fresh and bright.

Okay, you get the full impact of the lambic sourness, right up front. All of the barnyard/funk elements from the scent are here, also. Right around the middle of it, you get just a slight 'pop' of strawberry presence, which then fades back to sourness. Just when you think that you are disappointed by the lack of strawberry presence, it comes back, in the finish. You are left with a wonderful balance of funky tartness and the taste of fresh strawberries. The best part is that the tartness begins to fade after a minute, but the wonderfully light and mild strawberry taste sticks around for quite awhile.

Nice medium body with minimal carbonation. It's almost still. There is a smoothness to it, which works well with the sharpness of the tang/sour.

At 6.0%abv, like a good lambic should be, there is nothing to keep you from enjoying a bunch of these. My only problem is that I know when I drink a lot of sours, I wake up with a mild case of heartburn. It sure doesn't stop me from drinking them, though.

EDIT: I looked over the other reviews after I posted mine and saw that d0b has given this same vintage a very bad review. It also looks like he got his bottle at West Lakeview Liqours, which is where I gat mine. I think that he may have just had a bad bottle. I say this because he comments that he's had it before and really enjoyed it, but it was a different vintage. I know that taste is subjective, and I'm not saying that he's wrong, by any means. I just think he may have gotten a 'cooked' bottle or something. (I generally agree with most of his reviews, which is why I find the differences between these to be odd.)

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

Just one more on my Belgian foray. 375 mL into a GL snifter.

Good lord where is the head on this thing? And for that matter, where is the damn carbonation? I expect beer to produce bubbles, but not this thing. Not even close. Bright orange with obviously no lacing.

The smell is funky with slight notes of citrus and strawberry.

The taste is something else. This is what I pictured Festina Peche tasting like, only with peaches. The acid assaults the tongue for a few seconds, then comes the light taste of strawberries. Not too much, just kind lingers around in the nose and roof of the mouth.

One thing I've begun to notice about Lambics is that I taste a minty-tea type flavor in the aftertaste, and its here as well. It feels like im breathing a tea smell out of my nose, and sets Lambics a notch above others.

Almost a year later and another batch, I get just a touch more strawberries. Its still a sour, tart lambic with some accent flavors. Perfect use of strawberries.

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba