Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002

4.97/5  rDev +32.5%

A - pours a pale golden see through. Obviously no head.

S - !!! Beautiful strawberry and funk. So stinking sour just from the nose.

T - intense! Very fresh, un ripe strawberries. Very funky. Loads of strawberries and very funky. I love it.

M - medium bodied and no carbonation.

O - this is the best lambic I've had. It's so perfect. I love every part about it.

4.67/5  rDev +24.5%

Had this at Monk's and am in the process of trying to find it available out here in Seattle. Normally I am not a big fan of lambics as I find them too fruity but this one is superb. Poured a hazy orange with a non-existent head. Carbonation was pretty high also contributing some to the flavor. Sugary strawberries hit you in the nose but the fruit smell is not nearly as you would get in a Lindemanns brew. The tartness in this beer and the overall flavor reminded me very much of Rodenbach Grand Cru, just replace the cherry like flavors with strawberry and you get an idea what you are in for. An absolutely outstanding brew that even managed to convince my girlfriend that tart beers are not all bad. I found the brew to be amazingly complex and am especially glad Tom Peters recommended it.

(Update) K's in Bellevue had it in stock.

4.62/5  rDev +23.2%

I served this gem in a « Cristal ». While pouring no head developed, but a lot of carbonation was visible. When the glass was filled the beer came to rest.
The colour of the beer is a clear amber orange. No head, no lacing, no carbonation.
The scent gives the promised strawberries combined with the typical Lambiek Barnyard elements. Scent is quite sour.
It tastes overall sour. Slight influences of strawberry
During the aftertaste the sourness declines and the strawberry taste becomes stronger.
When I added the yeast, the beer became misty. The taste didn’t really change. The sourness became lesser and the strawberry taste became more present.
Mouthfeel is overall sour.

4.62/5  rDev +23.2%

Big thanks to Beersack for hooking me up with this and so many other brews.

A - It pours with a daunting appearance: peach, hazy and still, suggesting a ruggedly acidic character.

S - Big tart and lactic notes, vinegar-y oak, sulfur, char and mineral make up the very impressive nose. Fruit is no where to be found, this is closer to an unblended Lambic or Gueuze in the nose.

T - The ghost of strawberry is buried deeply beneath a very dry Lambic. Starts quite tart; sweet flavor, like ripe strawberry, appears briefly. It is not actually sweet, but it is a flavor associated with sweetness so it lends the impression. Very nice stuff, actually one of the best Lambics I've had in a while.

M - Puckering, dry, drying, and then mouthwatering on the totally clean finish. Awesome.

D - I'll drink this anytime, anywhere.

4.61/5  rDev +22.9%

Well...the beer is flat. Completely flat. Lambics I'm pretty sure are supposed to be pretty effervescent. Decent color though. Nice bright light orange.

Really interesting nose. Big Lambic funk...Brett and other funkier nasties, but a really pleasing sweet strawberry scents hiding in there. Very nice.

Really nice flavor. Not nearly as agressive as Hanssen's Oud Gueuze. But still has the nice funk. Strong funk actually, but not as painful as the Oud Gueuze. Still there but definately tamed a bit by the strawberry I imagine. Very nice sweetish (but not sweet just tastes that way ??) strawberry finish. Really fantastic actually. Really nice bitter strawberry. Really really really nice.

Decent, but would be way better with some gas.

I could drink a ton of these. I give it a 5 for Lambics. Not in general.

4.6/5  rDev +22.7%

This beer pours a slightly cluody golden orange color with almost no head. What head there is, is thin and white, and fades quickly.

This beer has a nice tart strawberry aroma. It also has an earthy funky yeast aroma. It smells slightly sour.

This beer tastes much like it smells, with one notable exception. I taste strawberry only very mildly. It tastes funky with some earthy flavors from the yeast. The sourness is great.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a sour aftertaste. It is very low in carbonation, but fitting for the style.

This beer might make a good session beer. It is easy to drink. I just dont know how long I could drink a sour beer before it becomes cloying.

Overall: I liked this beer. I got it at the Liars Club. I am sure glad they suggested it.

4.57/5  rDev +21.9%

2000 vintage... mostly still with just a touch of carbonation bubbling up through the pink amber liquid. not much to speak of here. pretty much what i expected. age has done this one well and the nose is mostly earthy, wild must with just a hint of strawberry and wood coming through. it seems like mostly everything sweet has been eaten by the yeast. awesome. elegant. taste is sour and wild, balanced by what used to be strawberry and rounded out by the oak. refreshing and tart with a slick, medium mouthfeel that goes down way too easy. not too sour, not too wild. elegant and classy, this is always one of my favorite lambics.

edit: after having a relatively fresh bottle, I realized how lucky i was to find a bunch of old bottles. the fresher is a lot more tart and sour, and definitely loaded with strawberries. still an awesome beer, but needs a few more years to come in to it's own. laying a few of these down is a great idea.

4.52/5  rDev +20.5%

GLASS: Tulip
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
Says 'Limited Edition Year 2000' on label (Vintage?)

This pours a golden orange color with a light pink tint to it. Almost exactly what I'd expect a strawberry beer to look like, but they generally don't. A tiny head forms and rapidly dissipates. No lacing to speak of.

The nose has a very light strawberry scent and a boatload of sour/tangy presence. There is definitely some serious barnyard funk happening here, too. Hay, blanket and wet horse. Nice hints of oakiness, also. A slight touch of dustiness, but not in an 'old' way, this smells very fresh and bright.

Okay, you get the full impact of the lambic sourness, right up front. All of the barnyard/funk elements from the scent are here, also. Right around the middle of it, you get just a slight 'pop' of strawberry presence, which then fades back to sourness. Just when you think that you are disappointed by the lack of strawberry presence, it comes back, in the finish. You are left with a wonderful balance of funky tartness and the taste of fresh strawberries. The best part is that the tartness begins to fade after a minute, but the wonderfully light and mild strawberry taste sticks around for quite awhile.

Nice medium body with minimal carbonation. It's almost still. There is a smoothness to it, which works well with the sharpness of the tang/sour.

At 6.0%abv, like a good lambic should be, there is nothing to keep you from enjoying a bunch of these. My only problem is that I know when I drink a lot of sours, I wake up with a mild case of heartburn. It sure doesn't stop me from drinking them, though.

EDIT: I looked over the other reviews after I posted mine and saw that d0b has given this same vintage a very bad review. It also looks like he got his bottle at West Lakeview Liqours, which is where I gat mine. I think that he may have just had a bad bottle. I say this because he comments that he's had it before and really enjoyed it, but it was a different vintage. I know that taste is subjective, and I'm not saying that he's wrong, by any means. I just think he may have gotten a 'cooked' bottle or something. (I generally agree with most of his reviews, which is why I find the differences between these to be odd.)

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. Lot C.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a mostly clear bright golden peach color with a 1/8 to 1/4” loosely bubbled head that soon recedes to leave a ring of medium large bubbles and a thin partial layer of foam. Sipping leaves no lacing at all as any bubbles slide back down to the ring.

Smell: The aroma here is a complex mix of several things that take a while to sort out and even then I’m not sure I recognize them all. From the moment the bottle is opened onwards there is a musty, earthy, leathery character that overlays a trace of fruit that has to be strawberry but which has more of a citric character than I usually think of with strawberry. While it takes some getting used to I don’t find it unpleasant.

Taste: The first sip puckers the mouth quickly and then the tartness begins to spread. Initially the impression is of lemon that turns into some sour apple that then transforms into mild strawberry with a light touch of sweetness as it rolls back across the tongue. Meanwhile the sides of the mouth are still feeling the pucker from the tartness and way back in the retro-nasal area there is still some citric character. Mingling in here and there throughout are the musty, earthy, leathery bits that let you know this is a lambic.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is on the light side of medium bodied with only some faint prickly carbonation. The finish is on the long side and is very complex. From the lemon tartness it seems to mellow out into a lightly sweet strawberry flavor before the dry astringency finishes things off.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: I’m finding this beer is surprisingly drinkable. Given the aromas and flavors and some of the descriptions I read before buying it I didn’t expect to enjoy it so much, but I think that this beer suffers from the inadequacy of words alone to convey the rich complexity of a sensory experience like this. I won’t hesitate to buy another bottle of this one when I encounter it. Its not something for every night but it is definitely a treat. My overall impression is of a beer that is extraordinarily complex and that I personally am giving high marks based on that complexity and the fact that I’m enjoying this one so much.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Bottled in 2000, purchased at the Stuffed Sandwich.

A: No real carbonation to speak of. Dark golden color with a hue of crimson. Hazy and mysterious.

S: Highly acidic aroma with a nice backdrop of berries and hay. Touches of tomato vines.

T: Starts off very dry. Strawberry sweetness immediately frolics across the center of the tongue. Hints of tomato juice and lemon. Almost like a gueze bloody mary. Tang lingers on the lips long after the swallow.

M: Dry yet rounded. Enough carbonation to add a nice bite.

D: I was really impressed by this beer. With a higher carbonation level it would have been extraordinary. I think the age on the bottle must have done it in. But with that age came remarkabled smoothness.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Just one more on my Belgian foray. 375 mL into a GL snifter.

Good lord where is the head on this thing? And for that matter, where is the damn carbonation? I expect beer to produce bubbles, but not this thing. Not even close. Bright orange with obviously no lacing.

The smell is funky with slight notes of citrus and strawberry.

The taste is something else. This is what I pictured Festina Peche tasting like, only with peaches. The acid assaults the tongue for a few seconds, then comes the light taste of strawberries. Not too much, just kind lingers around in the nose and roof of the mouth.

One thing I've begun to notice about Lambics is that I taste a minty-tea type flavor in the aftertaste, and its here as well. It feels like im breathing a tea smell out of my nose, and sets Lambics a notch above others.

Almost a year later and another batch, I get just a touch more strawberries. Its still a sour, tart lambic with some accent flavors. Perfect use of strawberries.

4.48/5  rDev +19.5%

Presentation: Red cork and cage…unique. Cork clearly states “BrijHanssens Artisanaal Dworp.” Below that is a bunch of other writing that I can’t read. The warn label shows a picture of a strawberry plant and states “B. United International’s Masters’ Collection Limited Edition Pear 2000.” Perhaps they meant “Year 2000…” those drunken Belgians and their label typos… Oudbeitje Lambic.

The top of the bottle is really sticky and nasty. It smells like ass and strawberries. It is clear that there were two other labels on this bottle at some time that were removed and replaced with the current label… Mold is also present near the top of the bottle but it looks to be deceased. This was the last bottle at Discount in Milwaukee and at $5.49, I consider this seven year old beer a steal. Some liquid appears to have evaporated from this bottle. The liquid is nearly 3 inches from the top of the bottle, and now…it’s time to pour.

Pours into a champagne flute a pale yellow-brown, sort of mead like color, it that mead were a strawberry mead. There is absolutely no carbonation and no head. There are however lots of very minute particles floating in the liquid. They are barely visible.

Aroma is very pungent. There is a malodorous geuze scent that can be inhaled from a few feet away. This is specifically barnyard hay, horse hair, and rotten lemon juice. On closer examination, however, this drink is all strawberries, highly fermented, super sour, nasty strawberries, but strawberries none the less. There is even a sweetness in the air about this beer.

Taste: Holy Fahrvergnügen! This Shit is sour. Crap, my lips are permanently puckered. This is going to make kissing my girlfriend later a real problem. No wonder she hates it when I drink loads of geuze. Good thing she’s out of town till Friday. I’m going to need tow or three days to recover from this. Wow, this is so sour, I can hardly taste anything. I’ve had some pretty intense geuze before but this definitely takes the cake in terms of shear sourness. Somewhere in this brew, which is growing musty in terms of both smell and flavor as it warms, is a strawberry. Yep, I can taste the strawberries but they’re not ripe, sweet strawberries…they’re brown and nasty.

Oh, and what’s that? A spec of lace on my glass. Wow, there is actually some carbonation left in this beer. The least I’ve ever seen in a beer but a touch.

Back to the flavor. Mmm, it’s fun. There is a lot of grime, must, stank, and piss in here. There is also mephitis, fetor, and redolence. Damn, this brew has everything. Now I’m tasting a lot of leaves and dirt as well as clover flowers. Hmm, and now there is a touch of brake fluid (I don’t really know what brake fluid tastes like but I imagine that it tastes something like this).

Second Pour… My lips are stinging now as if I had just eaten a dozen raw lemons. A dog biscuit aroma has developed. My stomach is begging me to stop drinking this. I think I’m being poisoned. Still, my mouth screams for more. What a feel this has and it’s ever so unique. If only I could get more of this. Time to start building a collection Oudbeitje. If 7 years has made it this good, I feel like I’m sinning when I think of what 10 or 15 years could do. If you see this beer buy…and then send it to me.

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

Bottle courtesy of thirdeye11. 2002 vintage.

Pours yellow orange with a minimal white head. The aroma is very tart, with some vinegar and some funk. The taste is very tart with some sour strawberries and other fruit. There is also a little bit of funk but it pales in comparison to the pure tartness. Light mouthfeel and very drinkable. Very dry finish.

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

A-Pours hazy light amber/rust color with a ring of brilliant white bubbles around the rim of the glass.

S-Intense pureed strawberry aroma, layered over Hanssens's signature barnyard funk. Hanssens lambics are so funky they occasionally smell like manure.

T/M-Thin, sharp acidic sourness, complemented by lovely sweet strawberries. The sour funkiness is right on the line of being too much, but it never quite gets there. Making a great lambic is a balancing act. You want the beer to be tart and funky enough, but the fruit flavor should also shine through. This beer embodies both qualities. Light/medium bodied with spritzy carbonation and a lingering, thin/sour finish.

O-Best strawberry based lambic I've had.

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

"Limited Edition Year 2000"
Dry, loose cork. Almost no fizz. Papaya pulp colored.

Aromas are gastric and suggest sweet, fresh asparagus together with strawberry, paper and aluminum.

The attack is silky smooth and displays a slow crescendo of supple, wild strawberrys, fresh peas, honey, green tomatoes and linden.

I wonder how long this bottling will last?

4.42/5  rDev +17.9%

B.United International's (importer) Masters' Collection - Limited Edition Year 2000 - Strawberry Lambic. 375 ml corked, caged bottle. Cork was dry. Hazy, deep orange in color. No head - flat. The aroma is complex: sour, acetic, brettanomyces (barnyard), lightly sweet with some candyish strawberry, musty, leathery. The body is thin and the mouthfeel is powdery. The flavor starts with a soft acidity which immediately turns quite sharp on the front of the tongue - puckering, leading into some light fruit flavor (wow!?!) and some broader flavors of limited residual sugar, leather, mustiness as the liquid warms across the palate, then dissolves from the tongue with a quickly passing light metallic note, leaving a dry, powdery finish and a "sour spot" at the back of the throat. Surprisingly not astringent, as it's often expected. Not a very complex lambic, but quite surprising in the clarity of the strawberry note (a difficult fruit to work with because of it's light character).

4.42/5  rDev +17.9%

Notes: Two year old straight lambic (Blend of Boon and Girardin) matured for one year.

Opened two of these from the latest batch that just arrived in town. Not vintage dated. The first bottle was still, and sublime as always. Second bottle actually had a pop, some bubbles, and was monumentally funky.

Sulfur, washed rind cheese, horsehair, manure, just intensely, outrageously funky. Very polarizing to the group. After 10 minutes or so, the barnyard cloud lifted, and the gentle oaky sandalwood and green sour strawberry notes came through.

Strawberries were much more present in the taste than previous batches. Oak is big too, damp and musty wet wood. There was an inkling of carbonation, though the body has a fullness to it despite this. Unblended lambic is traditionally still anyway, as there is no young lambic or priming sugar used to carbonate (this is not a flaw or mistake, it's by design).

To me, this lambic is really out there, and something for those looking to explore the wild fringe of what's possible/acceptable in a lambic. Not for the faint of heart, try with an open mind and you'll be rewarded. After sampling a dozen or so bottles over the last few years, the batch/bottle variation is a fun part of the ride, and expected for an artisanal product.

4/4/4/4.5/4.5 A- 4.1

Generously received in trade from JesseDaniel.
Black and white label, different than the one pictured with the strawberry plant illustration. Either this is a fresh bottle, or prior to the 2006 edition.

Poured into a Hanssens tumbler, the deep gold lambic retains a thin ring of foam for the duration of the glass. A second pour generates some larger bubbles, that seem to quickly dissipate, then cling to one side of the glass. Though lambic is traditionally flat, a few lazy streams of tiny bubbles are visible in the glass. The bottle is carefully decanted to leave the sediment.

Vague strawberry scent, musty wood, and a cheese note as the bottle is opened. As it sits, the sharpness is left, and the more subtle notes dissipate.

Sharp cheese, green underripe strawberry, lemon juice, yogurt, grapefruit. Dry woody aftertaste, oaky tannin lends alot of depth to the mouthfeel. Starts out juicy and fruity, and ends with the dry woody notes. Mellower than young lambic, actually moderate on the sour scale, when compared with Drie Fontienen and Cantillon.

Light acidity that gets the salivary glands working, not much carbonation, but not completely flat. Again, a woody fullness that enhances the overall mouthfeel score.

It's relative mellowness makes it more approachable on the sour scale, but it's not for the beginner/faint of heart/pregnant/weak stomach/acid reflux prone. One to sip and savor, for the hardcore lambic lovers out there.

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%

A: poued a golden yellow with no head an absolutely no lacing.

S: strong tart strawberry aromas with vinegar acidic funk.

T: nice sour punch with strawberry, vinegar, and acidic flavors.

M: meduim body with ghost carbonation.

D: I could drink this stuff all day but will probably pay for it with heart burn. Not a bad offering from the hanssens blenders.

4.38/5  rDev +16.8%

A 2000 vintage shared with friends here.

A - pours a bright pale, a little thin looking, and no head to be noticed.

S - oh what the Funk. The beer is funky all over the nose. A very fruity sour. Lemon peel sour zest is all over. Love this.

T - really sweet. It has a very strong strawberry presence. The fruit fights with the sour funk. Lovely.

M - a little light, but still there. Very mouth coating.

O - very nice beer. Stood the test of time. A great beer.

4.37/5  rDev +16.5%

Thanks to FooFaa for sharing this rare treat.

A-Golden copper with surprisingly no head despite extremely active carbonation.

S-Band-aid, musty, wet wool blanket, wet earth and a light fragrance of fresh, crushed strawberries in the background.

T-Immensely tart. Very sharp and crisp with a subtle hint of strawberries hiding in the background behind the biting lemon juice / vinegar sourness.

M-Light bodied, SUPER crisp and biting. Wonderful example of the style.

D-Without question a finely made lambic. Super crisp with a myriad of subtle notes that you get to discover one by one. A most interesting and amazingly complex brew.

4.37/5  rDev +16.5%

Sampled from 37.5 cl bottle, courtesy of a friend. (From Swedish Systembolaget.)

Shady orange color, no head what so ever, part from a few bubbles.
Extremely complex scent. Sour, fruity, sweet chewing gum, it just goes on.
Taste is sour, metallic, sweet chewing gum.
Sour and sweet after taste.
Very high palate.
Very mature, most likely stored for a long time.
It feels balanced in the taste.

4.37/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bright yellow color, nearly no foam.

Smells like used baby-daiper, very unpleasant at first, but if, against better knowledge, you are still willing to take a deep breath, you will find very well hidden flavours of ripe strawberries, beneath a tart, fruity load of brett defined sourness. It is even possible to detect a sweet hint in the overall sourness, resulting from the strawberries.

Taste is incredible sour, dries out the tongue immediately, but still leaves some space for a decent strawberry flavour. Begins as sour as it gets, then stawberries come up, adding a lot of fruitiness, which then transforms into a tongue stinging fruity bitterness. It is hard not to cringe at that particular point, still, the beer is unexpected nice, due to its enjoyable, refreshing complexity.

Fantastic, dry tartness paired with sunny, stingy fresh strawberries, leading to a chewy mouthfeel, with an enormous sour aftertaste, which leaves the palate slightly dazed, but very satisfied.

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%

Wonderful farmyard stench and strawberries, some public toilet smells (but in a good way). Flavour is tart and sour, some subtle sweetness from the strawberries, its more the seeds than the actual flesh. Dry, sour and refreshing. Love it. So refreshing and lovely to drink.

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

350 mL bottle with '2006 Limited Edition Masters Collection' on the label. Been sitting in my cellar for the past two and a half years. Pours a pretty clear dark gold color with a slight pinkish hue. No carbonation whatsoever, I am bummed that the bubbles must have escaped some time ago.

Heavenly strawberry aroma with the delectable notes of lacto sourness. Absolutely amazing, perfect blend of the fruit and lactic acid.

Wow - tart and sour as hell with a very nice and prevalent strawberry presence. Lack of carbonation is a bit of a downer, but I am surprisingly still loving this beer, a delightful sensory experience. Damn I love lambics! Just enough sweetness to counteract some of the sourness. Has a nice bit of 'funk' in here as well. As the bottle drains, it becomes more tart than sour as the palate adjusts fairly quickly to the sour aspect. There is also a mild rubbery flavor that has me thinking brettomyces might be involved here. I wish I had 20 more of these around, awesome beer. Lack of CO2 is the only thing keeping this from an A+ in my book.

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%

When I was doing the Beerfly for the Palace Hotel, I came across my notes for the Hanssens Strawberry Lambic that I had there on the last night of our Easter trip in 2000. I remember it so vividly. Guy (the owner) was behind the bar and he had had some good trade from us throughout the weekend, and produced some unlabelled corked brown glass bottles with, as he called it, Hanssens Strawberry Lambic. The only sign of something strange was a dark red steel cap above the champagne cork but under the cage enclosure. It is now marketed and labelled as Oudbeitje I see.
The first surprise was the color - I expected some pinky red lambic - but this was a dark copper colored murky looking lambic with no carbonation whatsoever, totally flat. This was a lambic that had hints of strawberry, rather than say a steeped Kriek where the fruit is dominant. The acidity was still quite high (good), sourness was prevalant at first, but the tinge of strawberries invaded in the middle and balanced the dryness at the end to a rather sharp but sweet finish. Excellent attempt at a new fruit lambic, only really let down by its flat appearance. I simply must try this again.

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba