Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002

No head whatsoever. Pours a light brown yet clear. Smell was very sour and urine-like. There were notes of wood and other citrus. The taste was extreme. Very sour and barely detectable berry. It tasted very much like a home-made mead a friend made but had a spoiled quality. This is nothing like any other lambics I've tried. Mouthfeel is much like a wine or mead. Zero carbonation. Zero. This was a drain pour. Nobody of the four friends I had over that night could tolerate even but a small sip. Just absolutely dreadful. (523 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -65.3%

Pours a hazy light red color with absolutely zero head or lacing. Random floating sediment can be seen in the glass. Very suspicious. Smells strongly of skunk spray, funk/must, vinegar. Hmm alright, lambics can smell this way somewhat, but I am even more suspicious. The taste confirms everything I was wary about. Very skunky, very sour, very musty, very funky, very salty - all in a horrible and disgusting way. This is one of the worst tasting beers I have ever had. Just layer upon layer of awful. Beer is absolutely flat, which makes the taste that much worse. It's like a big glass of flat vinegar soda mixed with fermented strawberry mold. Overall, this is an abomination of a beer. I don't know if this is a bad bottle but I hope to all that is good that it is. I am pissed that I spent $10 on this one. (811 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -64.3%

This brew poured a very little white head of large bubbles. Its body is an appealingly nice amber brown with bubbles clinging to the side on my mug. There is some lacing evident as the head disappears before I can taste it. It has a burnt wood aroma, not fruity as I expected. It tastes as bad as it smells. I took one sip and poured the rest. Too bad it was an $8.00 bottle. (375 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -62.9%

A-pours a lot like juice, no pop, no carbonation, no head whatsoever. honey colored

S-smells super funky, i'n getting only a little bit of strawberry in here toward the end. its a strong scent that is fairly simple.

T-hits with a very sour and funky taste with some small hints of belgian yeasts. there's only a little bit of strawberry flavor. overall, its just all of low quality. its honestly a little bit gross. i like sours and lambics, but there's something wrong with this one. it tastes almost like i'm being poisoned.

M-watery all the way through, absolutely horrible

D-the more I tasted this one, the grosser it got. this was a drain pour, i would never even use this as marinade for meats...its just awful (720 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

Year 2000 edition corked and capped bottle.

The pour is a golden honey lacking a real head of any kind. Their is a weird suspension and haze the stays right in the center column of that amber honey. A few bubbles pass through, but not many. The arom is a funky, earthy mess. makes me think of a refinery or old wet shoes. The taste gives some tart hint of strawberries, but not much. A very fiery tartness overwhelms the senses. Very acidic. I know lambics are supposed to be funky and tart, but give me a break. I will never buy this beer again. (550 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -45.1%

375ml c&c without a lot notched.

The cork came out of this one easily and free of audible carbonation. In fact, I'm surprised the beer doesn't leak out, as easily as the cork popped out and easily I was able replace it... The beer is golden with a twinge of pink. Free from any visible signs of carbonation and pretty much looks like still chicken broth to be honest. Not attractive.

Smells of lemons, grass, hints of manure and mung bean sprouts. Nothing particularly special, does smell sour, which makes me happy.

Quite sour indeed, a tightening of my masticating muscles indicate as much. Indeed there is a slight sweet strawberry I didn't anticipate. Some notes of lemon and metal. A little soil in there as well.

Not even what I would classify as an effervescence. This beer is flat, thin and has a wet finish. It is better as it warms, then it takes on a buttery feeling.

This was an interesting experience. The highest beer I've ever rated was a straight unblended lambic from the barrel; completely flat. Although I found that experience to be outstanding, this one is far from that. The beer is ugly, and feels awkward. I expected carbonation, where previously I had not, that totally flavored my experience. Although thrown off, I was not completely disappointed. (1,280 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -45.1%

750ml green bottle, caged and corked, no dates and no pictures.

Poured a hazed orange/straw color with almost no head, even after an agressive pour.

The smell was disconcerting. Spanish olives, serious barnyard funk- almost to the point of stench, tart persimmon, and something like dung.

Medium light body and a flat feel. Tartness comes at the front, followed by a medicine taste, wood, and strange plastic and metallic notes in the finish and burps.

The beer was a serious let down. The bottle had no pictures of strawberries-- I thought I was getting a non-fruit lambic! If I hadn't had quite a few examples from the lambic/gueuze style I might have sworn off the style after trying this! I'm all for funkiness, but this beer went way past anything enjoyable for me. (784 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -43.5%

First review: 3.0 / 4.0 / 4.0 / 3.5 / 3.5. A very generous extra from boatshoes.

Second review is here, off a bottle shared by Sandstone. Thanks, Roger.

A: Pours a cloudy apricot-gold body in the glass. The head is nonexistent; it's flat, like a lambic. Points for the color, mainly.

S: Sulfur, like the pungent stench of a rancid fart. Honestly, it was just unpleasant and tough to get past. I'd call it an odor instead of an aroma. Tart strawberries as well. Maybe some sourness.

T: The first bottle I had reflected a lot of lactic sourness and brett funk / leather / earth, with light berry. This bottle, by contrast, is beautifully fruit-forward with a generous helping of tart strawberry. The funk is restrained; it's barnyard and some, uh, fecal nastiness, with very light sourness.

M: Medium-bodied. It's still and just lightly dry, with lingering strawberry tartness.

D: Between the stench of this bottle and a lackluster experience with my first, I'm not convinced this is a beer I really need to try again. Lambics are hard to find, and I'm sure they're hard to make, but this isn't a compelling example. (1,126 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -37.3%

Flat beer stored under florescent lights at the store. Poured with no head and of course no lace. Aroma was skunky, a friend nearby smelled it right away. Color is a clear amber. Aroma also has the malt yeast and strawberries. Flavor is like aroma. Body isn't so hot being flat. Ditto with finish. Wish I could a had a better one. (330 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -36%

375ml bottle purchase at Bestway, awesome bottle shop in Greensboro, NC.

This bottle was actually grabbed by my wife who was looking for a "fruity lambic". $9.49.

Hazy, orange, marmalade-colored elixir, poured into a goblet. No head or lacing.

Strong funk, cheese, grass, barnyard animals.

Incredible bitterness assaults the buds. Tart, brief strawberry flavor. Funk rides roughshod throughout.

Thin, tin, under carbonated.

Not my style. (443 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -32.8%

Small capped bottle, well cared for in my cellar for three years.

Poured into a tulip, hazy golden, very flat, with not a single bubble to be seen.
Fruity and funky aroma, sour and vinegary.
The body is medium, but although a lot of great lambics are not exactly bursting with bubbles, this one is just plain flat, which limits the enjoyment and compromises the body.
I am a big fan of lambics, but this one is just plain acidic and sour, and not very pleasant.
One of my few disappointments with true belgian lambics. (523 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Hazy golden, burnt orange. Absolutely no head or carbonation, which isn't a promising sign for this style

S: Definite funky lambic aromas but there's an underlying sweet strawberry that's a little off. Just smell too sweet.

T/M: Tart, funky, sour strawberries. But no carbonation makes this taste slick and syrupy rather than refreshing, which is strong point to the style that's missed here. Overall, pretty mediocre. I had like 5 sips and poured the rest down the drain.

D: See above. Not very drinkable. (512 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -30.4%

From a 375ml bottle, bbe 7/8/2027 (nope, not a typo) Pours initially as essentially cloudy urine. Settles down to an amber colour, with the cloud only discernible under close scrutiny, and lightly sparkling.

The only strawberry beer I've had is the sickly sweet Fruli, but I wasn't prepared for what I got with this.

There's a sourness which assaults the back of the mouth on swallowing and no recgonisable strawberry flavour at all.

My wife complained several times about the urine odour coming from my glass, so that's not really a plus point either....

If you're looking for a sour lambic (I'm not, generally) this might float your boat, but as a fruit lambic, it's not working for me. Definitely wouldn't try it again. (727 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: pours a hazy gold with less than a finger of white head that vanishes completely.

S: loads and loads of sour notes with some slight barnyard aromas as well. There are also notes of spoiled milk or pungent cheese.

T: similar to the aroma, loads of sour notes with some tart strawberries as well. There are some funky notes as well and that sour dairy presence.

M: medium-light body with low carbonation, this beer is a bit watery and could use more carbonation.

O: an alright beer, this beer is overly sour and undercarbonated. A bit difficult to get through. (565 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -27.7%

Picked up a bottle recently and thought I'd give it a try.

It pours a nice gold color hinting at orange. ZERO carbonation. The aroma was interesting and awful at the same time. Strawberry was present as was some grassy funk but the main aroma was.... well.... urine. A ton of urine aroma. Urinal at Great American Ballpark type stuff. Just awful. The lambic is there but the catty urine aroma will not go away.

The flavor was okay. Acedic, sour, and not quite as dry as I like. Strawberries make themselves known. The real killer here is the lack of carbonation. It destroys the mouthfeel and drinkability of the beer. Feels heavy even though it isn't. I've run into this with Hanssens Kriek before too. Just flat as a board.

Overall, I wouldn't buy this again under any circumstance. A below average lambic with some weird stuff going on. Pass. (851 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -26.1%

375ml corked and caged bottle. label reads 2006. drank from my russian river "tion" glass.

A- this one pours out a golden colored body without a bubble at all for head. no lacing left behind. im already not thrilled about a still beer.

S- the nose starts out with some acidity and some of the classic hanssens lambic funk. after that i think i can pick up on a little bit of strawberry.

T- the taste starts out with a strong lactic punch. very tart. the funk i could smell comes back as well, but it takes a distant back seat. the strawberry flavor is almost non existent at this point.

M- still. medium bodied. dry finish.

D- this isnt my favorite offering from hanssens, and certainly not my favorite of this style. i dont think ill be picking this one up again. maybe its past its prime? (798 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a deep yellow/orange with a pinkish hue. Pours nearly flat just a few bubbles in a partial ring. Smells funky, citrusy and sour. I get oak but don't get any strawberry. The taste is very sour, oak, strawberries. A bit moldy in the taste too. Body is light +. Overall a bit tough to deal with the lack of carbonation. (322 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance: An apple cider sort of look, and a slight haze to its opacity. No head to speak of, whatsoever.

Aroma: Yeasty, medicinal. Quite high phenolic, indicating a natural lambic (as wild yeasts can bring odd characteristics to the fold).

Taste: Quite tart, quite sour, with the phenols definately affecting taste. Finish is very dry.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation. Good to form.

Drinkability: For a Lambic, I can't think this anything but average. The tartness and sourness are there, but the phenols are so overwhelming that it detracts from whatever the brewer was trying to accomplish.

My guess? The bottle had been sitting on the shelf of the beer shop in Amsterdam for quite some time. (700 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -22.7%

375 ml bottle split with sourbatchkid. Thanks for the taste.

A- slightly hazy straw yellow with hint of orange, that pours like tap water to head at all.

S-big funky cheese and wet hay. Baby diaper and feet. Some strawberry in there as well.

T- funky wood up front and stinky cheese. Wet hay and wheat with a mild lactic sourness. I do get some strawberry and other fruit but its the strawberry that takes the lead.

M- totally flat not a bit of carb. Its like drinking very strange water. Slightly more viscous then water as well with a mild pucker.

- eh its drinkable enough but is in dire need of some carb. This stuff is lacking the crispness that some carb would bring to give it a rounder profile. Interesting flavor but just not the best lambic I've had. (770 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -22.1%

Got this one at De Bierkoning a couple weeks back.

From a 375 corked and caged bottle into a wine glass
Best before 7 August 2017
Lot E

APPEARANCE: Pours out flat and yields a bubbly ring eventually. Cloudy amer orange with no carbonation. Ends up looking flat pretty quickly, so not really a fan there.

SMELL: Strawberries for sure, with stinky cheese, tart lemon notes and some acidic vinegar on the nose. Pretty bold. Moldy aromas and lots of fungus as well. A little too much so for my tastes.

TASTE: Tart lemon sourness with sour strawberries as well. Definite funk and cheese up front with a tart and sour, acidic finish. Lemon, strawberry tartness and some moldy flavors linger on the palate. A hint of bitterness as well. Actually much more balanced and enjoyable than the nose had led on.

PALATE: Medium body and no real carbonation. Basically flat. Watery going down and finishes with a touch of acidity. Fine, but a little too flat, even for the style.

OVERALL: A bit too moldy and funky on the nose for me, but the flavor was much more balanced and included more of the tartness and acidity that I tend to enjoy. Enjoyable and refreshing on a warm day, though a little more cabonation is needed to make this one worth while. I'll try another batch, but will pass on this one for now. (1,306 characters)

Bottle: Poured a light red/brown color lambic with no head or carbonation. Aroma of funk and horse blanket is quite strong with some very subtle strawberry in the back. Taste is mix of sour and funky lambic with an extra dose of horse blanket with some faint strawberry also noticeable. Not sure if this lack some aging or if the balance is wrong but definitely not one the best lambic fruit that I have tasted. (411 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -18.9%

Tum tum te tum tum...

Pours a golden honey color. No head at all, which worries me some. The carbonation, what there is of it, doesn't really rise - the bubbles cling to the side of the glass...Obviously no lacing...

Aromas are barnyard, which is slightly typical for the style. I get horse stall, some sour funk, and a lot of citrus. A hint of sweetness...

Almost forgot the basics: $8.99/12 oz. bottle and 6% ABV..Very expensive...

Unbelievable sour...This is the most sour I've ever tasted. It's like eating an unripe grapefruit. Almost too one dimensional..I hardly can get to any of the other flavors or nuances in this. This is the Clubber Lang of ales. One trick, but it's powerful. If it were a woman, it would be Linda Lovelace...There is some good stuff unbderneath the sour, but it's almost impossible to reach. My tongue is starting to pucker. Crikey...It even tingles my nose...No carbonation in the glass, so nothing to take the edge off...Too bad, if this were fresh I'd bet it'd be much better. As it is, it's novelty only.

What I like most: The nice funky aroma profile.

What I like least: The unbelievably overpowering sour..

Verdict: Too expensive to drink when it's not fresh. Look elsewhere. (1,219 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -18.4%

375ml bottle thanks to Sandstone. Vintage 2000.

Pours clear light golden with minimal head.

Aroma is pretty unpleasant. Definitely some fart/diaper in there, along with sweaty gym socks and sweaty horseblanket or elephant coverer. Oh yeah, some tart strawberry in there too.

Flavor is much better, but still not great. Lots of strawberry and even a little sweat malt. Barnyard and ever so slight diaper. Yes I have actually eaten all of these things, so don't doubt me on this. Only mildly tart.

Medium bodied and a little flat on the palate.

Drinkability is above average. Overall, still not the biggest fan of Hanssens. (626 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a clear copper color with no head at all.
Aroma is strawberry, some kind of wierd dirt smell, and a pervasive tart sourness, like moldy lemons.
Flavor is strange. Fruity, with a moldy sharpness all the way through, finishing very very dry. I'm not really sure I like this stuff. A still beer, with an odd semi-effervescence in the middle. I've never had carbonation like this before. It's so interesting that it keeps asking for another sip.
The beer started to irritate my stomach about half way through, and i couldn't finish it. It felt too acidic. I got my girlfriend to drink as much of it as I could pawn off, and we had to pour the rest. I felt terrible, considering that it's such a hard to find (expensive) beer, but I don't think I'm ready for stuff like this, and neither is my digestive system. (817 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -16.8%

375 ml bottle share with oglmcdgl, thanks for the company.

A- Extremely flat pour with little to no head or lacing, but the color of a great big sunflower pedal.

S- Funk, Funk, Funky, Just like I like it. Sour with bits of fruit like lemons and green apples. Defiantly barn yard and hay with a bid of vinegar in the mix.

T- Sour like deluded vinegar water that I clean my window with at home. Then the lemonyness hits you and then at the end, at the very end you can taste unripeness strawberries.

M- The body is really missing here, I keep trying to find the carbonation, but it just not there. I even out of desperation do my best to aerate what's in my mouth and still nothing. I feel as if i might just be drinking the vinegar water that i clean my window with.

D- I like it enough, not enough to buy this same year again, I just wish that there was more to the mouth feel here. (887 characters)

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba