Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002)
gonzo46and2

No head whatsoever. Pours a light brown yet clear. Smell was very sour and urine-like. There were notes of wood and other citrus. The taste was extreme. Very sour and barely detectable berry. It tasted very much like a home-made mead a friend made but had a spoiled quality. This is nothing like any other lambics I've tried. Mouthfeel is much like a wine or mead. Zero carbonation. Zero. This was a drain pour. Nobody of the four friends I had over that night could tolerate even but a small sip. Just absolutely dreadful.

07-01-2008 06:12:04 | More by gonzo46and2
Em30

03-22-2013 00:06:45 | More by Em30
UCLABrewN84

1.25/5  rDev -66.7%

Pours a hazy light red color with absolutely zero head or lacing. Random floating sediment can be seen in the glass. Very suspicious. Smells strongly of skunk spray, funk/must, vinegar. Hmm alright, lambics can smell this way somewhat, but I am even more suspicious. The taste confirms everything I was wary about. Very skunky, very sour, very musty, very funky, very salty - all in a horrible and disgusting way. This is one of the worst tasting beers I have ever had. Just layer upon layer of awful. Beer is absolutely flat, which makes the taste that much worse. It's like a big glass of flat vinegar soda mixed with fermented strawberry mold. Overall, this is an abomination of a beer. I don't know if this is a bad bottle but I hope to all that is good that it is. I am pissed that I spent $10 on this one.

04-08-2011 04:18:00 | More by UCLABrewN84
TheDM

Indiana

1.3/5  rDev -65.3%

This brew poured a very little white head of large bubbles. Its body is an appealingly nice amber brown with bubbles clinging to the side on my mug. There is some lacing evident as the head disappears before I can taste it. It has a burnt wood aroma, not fruity as I expected. It tastes as bad as it smells. I took one sip and poured the rest. Too bad it was an $8.00 bottle.

07-12-2003 15:13:21 | More by TheDM
AdamBear

1.33/5  rDev -64.5%

A-pours a lot like juice, no pop, no carbonation, no head whatsoever. honey colored

S-smells super funky, i'n getting only a little bit of strawberry in here toward the end. its a strong scent that is fairly simple.

T-hits with a very sour and funky taste with some small hints of belgian yeasts. there's only a little bit of strawberry flavor. overall, its just all of low quality. its honestly a little bit gross. i like sours and lambics, but there's something wrong with this one. it tastes almost like i'm being poisoned.

M-watery all the way through, absolutely horrible

D-the more I tasted this one, the grosser it got. this was a drain pour, i would never even use this as marinade for meats...its just awful

04-05-2011 17:03:27 | More by AdamBear

06-01-2014 17:59:17 | More by WckdVbz
harrymel

Washington

2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

375ml c&c without a lot notched.

The cork came out of this one easily and free of audible carbonation. In fact, I'm surprised the beer doesn't leak out, as easily as the cork popped out and easily I was able replace it... The beer is golden with a twinge of pink. Free from any visible signs of carbonation and pretty much looks like still chicken broth to be honest. Not attractive.

Smells of lemons, grass, hints of manure and mung bean sprouts. Nothing particularly special, does smell sour, which makes me happy.

Quite sour indeed, a tightening of my masticating muscles indicate as much. Indeed there is a slight sweet strawberry I didn't anticipate. Some notes of lemon and metal. A little soil in there as well.

Not even what I would classify as an effervescence. This beer is flat, thin and has a wet finish. It is better as it warms, then it takes on a buttery feeling.

This was an interesting experience. The highest beer I've ever rated was a straight unblended lambic from the barrel; completely flat. Although I found that experience to be outstanding, this one is far from that. The beer is ugly, and feels awkward. I expected carbonation, where previously I had not, that totally flavored my experience. Although thrown off, I was not completely disappointed.

01-02-2012 02:14:10 | More by harrymel
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

750ml green bottle, caged and corked, no dates and no pictures.

Poured a hazed orange/straw color with almost no head, even after an agressive pour.

The smell was disconcerting. Spanish olives, serious barnyard funk- almost to the point of stench, tart persimmon, and something like dung.

Medium light body and a flat feel. Tartness comes at the front, followed by a medicine taste, wood, and strange plastic and metallic notes in the finish and burps.

The beer was a serious let down. The bottle had no pictures of strawberries-- I thought I was getting a non-fruit lambic! If I hadn't had quite a few examples from the lambic/gueuze style I might have sworn off the style after trying this! I'm all for funkiness, but this beer went way past anything enjoyable for me.

12-30-2005 21:17:34 | More by Shultzerdugen
scruffwhor

2.08/5  rDev -44.5%

Year 2000 edition corked and capped bottle.

The pour is a golden honey lacking a real head of any kind. Their is a weird suspension and haze the stays right in the center column of that amber honey. A few bubbles pass through, but not many. The arom is a funky, earthy mess. makes me think of a refinery or old wet shoes. The taste gives some tart hint of strawberries, but not much. A very fiery tartness overwhelms the senses. Very acidic. I know lambics are supposed to be funky and tart, but give me a break. I will never buy this beer again.

01-08-2007 03:02:43 | More by scruffwhor
Arbitrator

2.13/5  rDev -43.2%

First review: 3.0 / 4.0 / 4.0 / 3.5 / 3.5. A very generous extra from boatshoes.

Second review is here, off a bottle shared by Sandstone. Thanks, Roger.

A: Pours a cloudy apricot-gold body in the glass. The head is nonexistent; it's flat, like a lambic. Points for the color, mainly.

S: Sulfur, like the pungent stench of a rancid fart. Honestly, it was just unpleasant and tough to get past. I'd call it an odor instead of an aroma. Tart strawberries as well. Maybe some sourness.

T: The first bottle I had reflected a lot of lactic sourness and brett funk / leather / earth, with light berry. This bottle, by contrast, is beautifully fruit-forward with a generous helping of tart strawberry. The funk is restrained; it's barnyard and some, uh, fecal nastiness, with very light sourness.

M: Medium-bodied. It's still and just lightly dry, with lingering strawberry tartness.

D: Between the stench of this bottle and a lackluster experience with my first, I'm not convinced this is a beer I really need to try again. Lambics are hard to find, and I'm sure they're hard to make, but this isn't a compelling example.

03-26-2010 07:34:42 | More by Arbitrator
drpimento

2.35/5  rDev -37.3%

Flat beer stored under florescent lights at the store. Poured with no head and of course no lace. Aroma was skunky, a friend nearby smelled it right away. Color is a clear amber. Aroma also has the malt yeast and strawberries. Flavor is like aroma. Body isn't so hot being flat. Ditto with finish. Wish I could a had a better one.

06-09-2010 02:59:30 | More by drpimento
CaptCleveland

2.35/5  rDev -37.3%

375ml bottle purchase at Bestway, awesome bottle shop in Greensboro, NC.

This bottle was actually grabbed by my wife who was looking for a "fruity lambic". $9.49.

Hazy, orange, marmalade-colored elixir, poured into a goblet. No head or lacing.

Strong funk, cheese, grass, barnyard animals.

Incredible bitterness assaults the buds. Tart, brief strawberry flavor. Funk rides roughshod throughout.

Thin, tin, under carbonated.

Not my style.

Netherlands

08-13-2012 12:52:16 | More by HardyGeneraL
brdc

2.53/5  rDev -32.5%

Small capped bottle, well cared for in my cellar for three years.

Poured into a tulip, hazy golden, very flat, with not a single bubble to be seen.
Fruity and funky aroma, sour and vinegary.
The body is medium, but although a lot of great lambics are not exactly bursting with bubbles, this one is just plain flat, which limits the enjoyment and compromises the body.
I am a big fan of lambics, but this one is just plain acidic and sour, and not very pleasant.
One of my few disappointments with true belgian lambics.

10-07-2010 05:01:05 | More by brdc
abfraser

2.55/5  rDev -32%

A: Hazy golden, burnt orange. Absolutely no head or carbonation, which isn't a promising sign for this style

S: Definite funky lambic aromas but there's an underlying sweet strawberry that's a little off. Just smell too sweet.

T/M: Tart, funky, sour strawberries. But no carbonation makes this taste slick and syrupy rather than refreshing, which is strong point to the style that's missed here. Overall, pretty mediocre. I had like 5 sips and poured the rest down the drain.

D: See above. Not very drinkable.

12-08-2008 03:52:42 | More by abfraser