Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002)

No head whatsoever. Pours a light brown yet clear. Smell was very sour and urine-like. There were notes of wood and other citrus. The taste was extreme. Very sour and barely detectable berry. It tasted very much like a home-made mead a friend made but had a spoiled quality. This is nothing like any other lambics I've tried. Mouthfeel is much like a wine or mead. Zero carbonation. Zero. This was a drain pour. Nobody of the four friends I had over that night could tolerate even but a small sip. Just absolutely dreadful.

gonzo46and2, Jul 01, 2008

Em30, Mar 22, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -66.7%

Pours a hazy light red color with absolutely zero head or lacing. Random floating sediment can be seen in the glass. Very suspicious. Smells strongly of skunk spray, funk/must, vinegar. Hmm alright, lambics can smell this way somewhat, but I am even more suspicious. The taste confirms everything I was wary about. Very skunky, very sour, very musty, very funky, very salty - all in a horrible and disgusting way. This is one of the worst tasting beers I have ever had. Just layer upon layer of awful. Beer is absolutely flat, which makes the taste that much worse. It's like a big glass of flat vinegar soda mixed with fermented strawberry mold. Overall, this is an abomination of a beer. I don't know if this is a bad bottle but I hope to all that is good that it is. I am pissed that I spent $10 on this one.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 08, 2011
1.3/5  rDev -65.3%

This brew poured a very little white head of large bubbles. Its body is an appealingly nice amber brown with bubbles clinging to the side on my mug. There is some lacing evident as the head disappears before I can taste it. It has a burnt wood aroma, not fruity as I expected. It tastes as bad as it smells. I took one sip and poured the rest. Too bad it was an $8.00 bottle.

TheDM, Jul 12, 2003
1.33/5  rDev -64.5%

A-pours a lot like juice, no pop, no carbonation, no head whatsoever. honey colored

S-smells super funky, i'n getting only a little bit of strawberry in here toward the end. its a strong scent that is fairly simple.

T-hits with a very sour and funky taste with some small hints of belgian yeasts. there's only a little bit of strawberry flavor. overall, its just all of low quality. its honestly a little bit gross. i like sours and lambics, but there's something wrong with this one. it tastes almost like i'm being poisoned.

M-watery all the way through, absolutely horrible

D-the more I tasted this one, the grosser it got. this was a drain pour, i would never even use this as marinade for meats...its just awful

AdamBear, Apr 05, 2011

FreshmanPour77, Nov 23, 2011

DerekMorgan, Jul 02, 2013

WckdVbz, Jun 01, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

375ml c&c without a lot notched.

The cork came out of this one easily and free of audible carbonation. In fact, I'm surprised the beer doesn't leak out, as easily as the cork popped out and easily I was able replace it... The beer is golden with a twinge of pink. Free from any visible signs of carbonation and pretty much looks like still chicken broth to be honest. Not attractive.

Smells of lemons, grass, hints of manure and mung bean sprouts. Nothing particularly special, does smell sour, which makes me happy.

Quite sour indeed, a tightening of my masticating muscles indicate as much. Indeed there is a slight sweet strawberry I didn't anticipate. Some notes of lemon and metal. A little soil in there as well.

Not even what I would classify as an effervescence. This beer is flat, thin and has a wet finish. It is better as it warms, then it takes on a buttery feeling.

This was an interesting experience. The highest beer I've ever rated was a straight unblended lambic from the barrel; completely flat. Although I found that experience to be outstanding, this one is far from that. The beer is ugly, and feels awkward. I expected carbonation, where previously I had not, that totally flavored my experience. Although thrown off, I was not completely disappointed.

harrymel, Jan 02, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

750ml green bottle, caged and corked, no dates and no pictures.

Poured a hazed orange/straw color with almost no head, even after an agressive pour.

The smell was disconcerting. Spanish olives, serious barnyard funk- almost to the point of stench, tart persimmon, and something like dung.

Medium light body and a flat feel. Tartness comes at the front, followed by a medicine taste, wood, and strange plastic and metallic notes in the finish and burps.

The beer was a serious let down. The bottle had no pictures of strawberries-- I thought I was getting a non-fruit lambic! If I hadn't had quite a few examples from the lambic/gueuze style I might have sworn off the style after trying this! I'm all for funkiness, but this beer went way past anything enjoyable for me.

Shultzerdugen, Dec 30, 2005
2.08/5  rDev -44.5%

Year 2000 edition corked and capped bottle.

The pour is a golden honey lacking a real head of any kind. Their is a weird suspension and haze the stays right in the center column of that amber honey. A few bubbles pass through, but not many. The arom is a funky, earthy mess. makes me think of a refinery or old wet shoes. The taste gives some tart hint of strawberries, but not much. A very fiery tartness overwhelms the senses. Very acidic. I know lambics are supposed to be funky and tart, but give me a break. I will never buy this beer again.

scruffwhor, Jan 08, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -43.2%

First review: 3.0 / 4.0 / 4.0 / 3.5 / 3.5. A very generous extra from boatshoes.

Second review is here, off a bottle shared by Sandstone. Thanks, Roger.

A: Pours a cloudy apricot-gold body in the glass. The head is nonexistent; it's flat, like a lambic. Points for the color, mainly.

S: Sulfur, like the pungent stench of a rancid fart. Honestly, it was just unpleasant and tough to get past. I'd call it an odor instead of an aroma. Tart strawberries as well. Maybe some sourness.

T: The first bottle I had reflected a lot of lactic sourness and brett funk / leather / earth, with light berry. This bottle, by contrast, is beautifully fruit-forward with a generous helping of tart strawberry. The funk is restrained; it's barnyard and some, uh, fecal nastiness, with very light sourness.

M: Medium-bodied. It's still and just lightly dry, with lingering strawberry tartness.

D: Between the stench of this bottle and a lackluster experience with my first, I'm not convinced this is a beer I really need to try again. Lambics are hard to find, and I'm sure they're hard to make, but this isn't a compelling example.

Arbitrator, Mar 26, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -37.3%

Flat beer stored under florescent lights at the store. Poured with no head and of course no lace. Aroma was skunky, a friend nearby smelled it right away. Color is a clear amber. Aroma also has the malt yeast and strawberries. Flavor is like aroma. Body isn't so hot being flat. Ditto with finish. Wish I could a had a better one.

drpimento, Jun 09, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -37.3%

375ml bottle purchase at Bestway, awesome bottle shop in Greensboro, NC.

This bottle was actually grabbed by my wife who was looking for a "fruity lambic". $9.49.

Hazy, orange, marmalade-colored elixir, poured into a goblet. No head or lacing.

Strong funk, cheese, grass, barnyard animals.

Incredible bitterness assaults the buds. Tart, brief strawberry flavor. Funk rides roughshod throughout.

Thin, tin, under carbonated.

Not my style.

CaptCleveland, Jul 23, 2012

Blanco, Feb 19, 2013

4DAloveofSTOUT, Aug 10, 2013

BARFLYB, Mar 24, 2013

HardyGeneraL, Aug 13, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -32.5%

Small capped bottle, well cared for in my cellar for three years.

Poured into a tulip, hazy golden, very flat, with not a single bubble to be seen.
Fruity and funky aroma, sour and vinegary.
The body is medium, but although a lot of great lambics are not exactly bursting with bubbles, this one is just plain flat, which limits the enjoyment and compromises the body.
I am a big fan of lambics, but this one is just plain acidic and sour, and not very pleasant.
One of my few disappointments with true belgian lambics.

brdc, Oct 07, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -32%

A: Hazy golden, burnt orange. Absolutely no head or carbonation, which isn't a promising sign for this style

S: Definite funky lambic aromas but there's an underlying sweet strawberry that's a little off. Just smell too sweet.

T/M: Tart, funky, sour strawberries. But no carbonation makes this taste slick and syrupy rather than refreshing, which is strong point to the style that's missed here. Overall, pretty mediocre. I had like 5 sips and poured the rest down the drain.

D: See above. Not very drinkable.

abfraser, Dec 08, 2008