Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic

good

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002)
View: Beers (7) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
thelawnet

United Kingdom (England)

2.65/5  rDev -29.1%

From a 375ml bottle, bbe 7/8/2027 (nope, not a typo) Pours initially as essentially cloudy urine. Settles down to an amber colour, with the cloud only discernible under close scrutiny, and lightly sparkling.

The only strawberry beer I've had is the sickly sweet Fruli, but I wasn't prepared for what I got with this.

There's a sourness which assaults the back of the mouth on swallowing and no recgonisable strawberry flavour at all.

My wife complained several times about the urine odour coming from my glass, so that's not really a plus point either....

If you're looking for a sour lambic (I'm not, generally) this might float your boat, but as a fruit lambic, it's not working for me. Definitely wouldn't try it again.

10-28-2010 21:46:35 | More by thelawnet
n2185

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: pours a hazy gold with less than a finger of white head that vanishes completely.

S: loads and loads of sour notes with some slight barnyard aromas as well. There are also notes of spoiled milk or pungent cheese.

T: similar to the aroma, loads of sour notes with some tart strawberries as well. There are some funky notes as well and that sour dairy presence.

M: medium-light body with low carbonation, this beer is a bit watery and could use more carbonation.

O: an alright beer, this beer is overly sour and undercarbonated. A bit difficult to get through.

02-04-2012 22:30:31 | More by n2185
RoyFokker

06-30-2014 05:11:51 | More by RoyFokker
Khazadum

12-04-2012 01:28:13 | More by Khazadum
Brew33

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

Picked up a bottle recently and thought I'd give it a try.

It pours a nice gold color hinting at orange. ZERO carbonation. The aroma was interesting and awful at the same time. Strawberry was present as was some grassy funk but the main aroma was.... well.... urine. A ton of urine aroma. Urinal at Great American Ballpark type stuff. Just awful. The lambic is there but the catty urine aroma will not go away.

The flavor was okay. Acedic, sour, and not quite as dry as I like. Strawberries make themselves known. The real killer here is the lack of carbonation. It destroys the mouthfeel and drinkability of the beer. Feels heavy even though it isn't. I've run into this with Hanssens Kriek before too. Just flat as a board.

Overall, I wouldn't buy this again under any circumstance. A below average lambic with some weird stuff going on. Pass.

06-28-2011 13:45:12 | More by Brew33
westcoastbeerlvr

01-10-2013 23:18:34 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
jwinship83

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

375ml corked and caged bottle. label reads 2006. drank from my russian river "tion" glass.

A- this one pours out a golden colored body without a bubble at all for head. no lacing left behind. im already not thrilled about a still beer.

S- the nose starts out with some acidity and some of the classic hanssens lambic funk. after that i think i can pick up on a little bit of strawberry.

T- the taste starts out with a strong lactic punch. very tart. the funk i could smell comes back as well, but it takes a distant back seat. the strawberry flavor is almost non existent at this point.

M- still. medium bodied. dry finish.

D- this isnt my favorite offering from hanssens, and certainly not my favorite of this style. i dont think ill be picking this one up again. maybe its past its prime?

04-20-2011 02:34:50 | More by jwinship83
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.8/5  rDev -25.1%

Bottled in 2000, thanks for sharing John.

A- The cork falls without a sound; obviously no carbonation left after more than a decade. It pours a very nice deep golden orange color, but appears lifeless in the glass.

S- Pretty damn funky smelling. Has some lemon zest, light berries (strawberries comes to mind first) and some woody barrel hints. Taking a deep whiff inside the glass is nose puckering.

T/M- Slightly tart in the middle of the palate, but not am overly sour beer. Initial taste is fruity and full of vanilla. Definitely a woody, bitter, almost acetone, flavor found deep within the funk. Bitterness really lingers awhile. Body is pretty full and there is no carbonation to lighten it up. A bit too heavy for my preferences in style.

O- Not sure age had immensely helped this or not? Perhaps if it was lighter.on the palate and had less acetone, it would help. As is, I wouldn't care to drink again.

01-31-2012 19:50:04 | More by TheGordianKnot
ThirstyBird

Germany

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a deep yellow/orange with a pinkish hue. Pours nearly flat just a few bubbles in a partial ring. Smells funky, citrusy and sour. I get oak but don't get any strawberry. The taste is very sour, oak, strawberries. A bit moldy in the taste too. Body is light +. Overall a bit tough to deal with the lack of carbonation.

02-15-2011 01:05:18 | More by ThirstyBird
AccidentalKate

Washington

2.85/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: An apple cider sort of look, and a slight haze to its opacity. No head to speak of, whatsoever.

Aroma: Yeasty, medicinal. Quite high phenolic, indicating a natural lambic (as wild yeasts can bring odd characteristics to the fold).

Taste: Quite tart, quite sour, with the phenols definately affecting taste. Finish is very dry.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation. Good to form.

Drinkability: For a Lambic, I can't think this anything but average. The tartness and sourness are there, but the phenols are so overwhelming that it detracts from whatever the brewer was trying to accomplish.

My guess? The bottle had been sitting on the shelf of the beer shop in Amsterdam for quite some time.

12-25-2009 16:58:41 | More by AccidentalKate
oglmcdgl

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

375 ml bottle split with sourbatchkid. Thanks for the taste.

A- slightly hazy straw yellow with hint of orange, that pours like tap water to head at all.

S-big funky cheese and wet hay. Baby diaper and feet. Some strawberry in there as well.

T- funky wood up front and stinky cheese. Wet hay and wheat with a mild lactic sourness. I do get some strawberry and other fruit but its the strawberry that takes the lead.

M- totally flat not a bit of carb. Its like drinking very strange water. Slightly more viscous then water as well with a mild pucker.

- eh its drinkable enough but is in dire need of some carb. This stuff is lacking the crispness that some carb would bring to give it a rounder profile. Interesting flavor but just not the best lambic I've had.

05-11-2010 00:44:56 | More by oglmcdgl
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Got this one at De Bierkoning a couple weeks back.

From a 375 corked and caged bottle into a wine glass
Best before 7 August 2017
Lot E

APPEARANCE: Pours out flat and yields a bubbly ring eventually. Cloudy amer orange with no carbonation. Ends up looking flat pretty quickly, so not really a fan there.

SMELL: Strawberries for sure, with stinky cheese, tart lemon notes and some acidic vinegar on the nose. Pretty bold. Moldy aromas and lots of fungus as well. A little too much so for my tastes.

TASTE: Tart lemon sourness with sour strawberries as well. Definite funk and cheese up front with a tart and sour, acidic finish. Lemon, strawberry tartness and some moldy flavors linger on the palate. A hint of bitterness as well. Actually much more balanced and enjoyable than the nose had led on.

PALATE: Medium body and no real carbonation. Basically flat. Watery going down and finishes with a touch of acidity. Fine, but a little too flat, even for the style.

OVERALL: A bit too moldy and funky on the nose for me, but the flavor was much more balanced and included more of the tartness and acidity that I tend to enjoy. Enjoyable and refreshing on a warm day, though a little more cabonation is needed to make this one worth while. I'll try another batch, but will pass on this one for now.

07-22-2013 13:58:45 | More by Jeffo
FalconA

02-06-2012 23:52:28 | More by FalconA
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a light red/brown color lambic with no head or carbonation. Aroma of funk and horse blanket is quite strong with some very subtle strawberry in the back. Taste is mix of sour and funky lambic with an extra dose of horse blanket with some faint strawberry also noticeable. Not sure if this lack some aging or if the balance is wrong but definitely not one the best lambic fruit that I have tasted.

09-18-2006 19:42:44 | More by Phyl21ca

impending

10-30-2013 04:19:04 | More by impending
SolomonGrundy

Tum tum te tum tum...

Pours a golden honey color. No head at all, which worries me some. The carbonation, what there is of it, doesn't really rise - the bubbles cling to the side of the glass...Obviously no lacing...

Aromas are barnyard, which is slightly typical for the style. I get horse stall, some sour funk, and a lot of citrus. A hint of sweetness...

Almost forgot the basics: $8.99/12 oz. bottle and 6% ABV..Very expensive...

Unbelievable sour...This is the most sour I've ever tasted. It's like eating an unripe grapefruit. Almost too one dimensional..I hardly can get to any of the other flavors or nuances in this. This is the Clubber Lang of ales. One trick, but it's powerful. If it were a woman, it would be Linda Lovelace...There is some good stuff unbderneath the sour, but it's almost impossible to reach. My tongue is starting to pucker. Crikey...It even tingles my nose...No carbonation in the glass, so nothing to take the edge off...Too bad, if this were fresh I'd bet it'd be much better. As it is, it's novelty only.

What I like most: The nice funky aroma profile.

What I like least: The unbelievably overpowering sour..

Verdict: Too expensive to drink when it's not fresh. Look elsewhere.

03-22-2011 03:45:35 | More by SolomonGrundy
SourBatchKid

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

375 ml bottle share with oglmcdgl, thanks for the company.

A- Extremely flat pour with little to no head or lacing, but the color of a great big sunflower pedal.

S- Funk, Funk, Funky, Just like I like it. Sour with bits of fruit like lemons and green apples. Defiantly barn yard and hay with a bid of vinegar in the mix.

T- Sour like deluded vinegar water that I clean my window with at home. Then the lemonyness hits you and then at the end, at the very end you can taste unripeness strawberries.

M- The body is really missing here, I keep trying to find the carbonation, but it just not there. I even out of desperation do my best to aerate what's in my mouth and still nothing. I feel as if i might just be drinking the vinegar water that i clean my window with.

D- I like it enough, not enough to buy this same year again, I just wish that there was more to the mouth feel here.

05-13-2010 23:07:09 | More by SourBatchKid
GClarkage

3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

07/31/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 375ml caged and corked bottle. Year 2000 bottle. Poured into my Lindemann's Lambic flute.

Appearance- Opened with no pop, not even a fizz or anything. Pours a bright orange with no head whatsoever. Lacing is pretty much non existant as well. Did I wait to long on this one?

Smell- Barnyard stench. Leather, rotted fruit, horse dung, you name it. If you really sniff hard you can detect a nice scent of strawberry.

Taste- Ultra sour at first, with a mixture of sweet strawberry. This beer calms down towards the middle and becomes much less tart and overbearing. The starwberry flavor just didn't do it for me though.

Mouthfeel- Almost like drinking a weak lambic sryup. No carbonation whatsoever. A very dead beer. No life in it at all.

Drinkability- Still very new to the lambic scene. Hopefully I will come across the better ones than this.

08-01-2005 17:08:59 | More by GClarkage
nickd717

3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

375ml bottle thanks to Sandstone. Vintage 2000.

Pours clear light golden with minimal head.

Aroma is pretty unpleasant. Definitely some fart/diaper in there, along with sweaty gym socks and sweaty horseblanket or elephant coverer. Oh yeah, some tart strawberry in there too.

Flavor is much better, but still not great. Lots of strawberry and even a little sweat malt. Barnyard and ever so slight diaper. Yes I have actually eaten all of these things, so don't doubt me on this. Only mildly tart.

Medium bodied and a little flat on the palate.

Drinkability is above average. Overall, still not the biggest fan of Hanssens.

03-26-2010 04:51:39 | More by nickd717
UnionMade

Colorado

3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a clear copper color with no head at all.
Aroma is strawberry, some kind of wierd dirt smell, and a pervasive tart sourness, like moldy lemons.
Flavor is strange. Fruity, with a moldy sharpness all the way through, finishing very very dry. I'm not really sure I like this stuff. A still beer, with an odd semi-effervescence in the middle. I've never had carbonation like this before. It's so interesting that it keeps asking for another sip.
The beer started to irritate my stomach about half way through, and i couldn't finish it. It felt too acidic. I got my girlfriend to drink as much of it as I could pawn off, and we had to pour the rest. I felt terrible, considering that it's such a hard to find (expensive) beer, but I don't think I'm ready for stuff like this, and neither is my digestive system.

07-31-2003 03:52:01 | More by UnionMade
leschkie

3.18/5  rDev -15%

Slightly modified version of the Lambic on-tap at CBS. This one was aged in baby bourbon barrels. Poured into a small-sized goblet.

Appearance: Like a slightly hazy apple cider with essentially zero carbination to speak of. Any trace of lacing is non-existent.

Smell: Strong vinegar and tart up front followed by the barrel...mostly woodiness with subtle hints of the bourbon. Some fruitiness, probably strawberries, but you really have to go searching for it. Based on smell alone, not sure if aging a lambic in bourbon is the brightest idea.

Taste: And I was right. The combination of bourbon and sour fruity tartness just does not go well together. Perhaps with the properly chosen fruit, but strawberries? Nuh-uh.

Mouthfeel: Actually much better than I expected, considering the zero carbination present in the beer. Glad this one felt thicker than other lambics I've had. Quite refreshing as well.

Overall: I consider Hannsens' original version of the lambic to be average at best from the start. I just thought that perhaps the bourbon might have been its secret weapon to sway me, but I was dead wrong. It actually made it worse. I think that was probably the last straw and won't be returning to Hanssens' offering of a lambic anymore.

06-23-2011 23:58:18 | More by leschkie