Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002)

cjs61679, Jun 04, 2013

jpaulsen, Apr 07, 2013

Madskill, Sep 02, 2013

rickcrip76, Jun 19, 2014

Danny_Gurbada, Jul 23, 2014

impending, Oct 30, 2013

Waste_case69, Jul 22, 2014

Tum tum te tum tum...

Pours a golden honey color. No head at all, which worries me some. The carbonation, what there is of it, doesn't really rise - the bubbles cling to the side of the glass...Obviously no lacing...

Aromas are barnyard, which is slightly typical for the style. I get horse stall, some sour funk, and a lot of citrus. A hint of sweetness...

Almost forgot the basics: $8.99/12 oz. bottle and 6% ABV..Very expensive...

Unbelievable sour...This is the most sour I've ever tasted. It's like eating an unripe grapefruit. Almost too one dimensional..I hardly can get to any of the other flavors or nuances in this. This is the Clubber Lang of ales. One trick, but it's powerful. If it were a woman, it would be Linda Lovelace...There is some good stuff unbderneath the sour, but it's almost impossible to reach. My tongue is starting to pucker. Crikey...It even tingles my nose...No carbonation in the glass, so nothing to take the edge off...Too bad, if this were fresh I'd bet it'd be much better. As it is, it's novelty only.

What I like most: The nice funky aroma profile.

What I like least: The unbelievably overpowering sour..

Verdict: Too expensive to drink when it's not fresh. Look elsewhere.

SolomonGrundy, Mar 22, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -17.9%

375 ml bottle share with oglmcdgl, thanks for the company.

A- Extremely flat pour with little to no head or lacing, but the color of a great big sunflower pedal.

S- Funk, Funk, Funky, Just like I like it. Sour with bits of fruit like lemons and green apples. Defiantly barn yard and hay with a bid of vinegar in the mix.

T- Sour like deluded vinegar water that I clean my window with at home. Then the lemonyness hits you and then at the end, at the very end you can taste unripeness strawberries.

M- The body is really missing here, I keep trying to find the carbonation, but it just not there. I even out of desperation do my best to aerate what's in my mouth and still nothing. I feel as if i might just be drinking the vinegar water that i clean my window with.

D- I like it enough, not enough to buy this same year again, I just wish that there was more to the mouth feel here.

SourBatchKid, May 13, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -17.3%

07/31/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 375ml caged and corked bottle. Year 2000 bottle. Poured into my Lindemann's Lambic flute.

Appearance- Opened with no pop, not even a fizz or anything. Pours a bright orange with no head whatsoever. Lacing is pretty much non existant as well. Did I wait to long on this one?

Smell- Barnyard stench. Leather, rotted fruit, horse dung, you name it. If you really sniff hard you can detect a nice scent of strawberry.

Taste- Ultra sour at first, with a mixture of sweet strawberry. This beer calms down towards the middle and becomes much less tart and overbearing. The starwberry flavor just didn't do it for me though.

Mouthfeel- Almost like drinking a weak lambic sryup. No carbonation whatsoever. A very dead beer. No life in it at all.

Drinkability- Still very new to the lambic scene. Hopefully I will come across the better ones than this.

GClarkage, Aug 01, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -16.5%

375ml bottle thanks to Sandstone. Vintage 2000.

Pours clear light golden with minimal head.

Aroma is pretty unpleasant. Definitely some fart/diaper in there, along with sweaty gym socks and sweaty horseblanket or elephant coverer. Oh yeah, some tart strawberry in there too.

Flavor is much better, but still not great. Lots of strawberry and even a little sweat malt. Barnyard and ever so slight diaper. Yes I have actually eaten all of these things, so don't doubt me on this. Only mildly tart.

Medium bodied and a little flat on the palate.

Drinkability is above average. Overall, still not the biggest fan of Hanssens.

nickd717, Mar 26, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a clear copper color with no head at all.
Aroma is strawberry, some kind of wierd dirt smell, and a pervasive tart sourness, like moldy lemons.
Flavor is strange. Fruity, with a moldy sharpness all the way through, finishing very very dry. I'm not really sure I like this stuff. A still beer, with an odd semi-effervescence in the middle. I've never had carbonation like this before. It's so interesting that it keeps asking for another sip.
The beer started to irritate my stomach about half way through, and i couldn't finish it. It felt too acidic. I got my girlfriend to drink as much of it as I could pawn off, and we had to pour the rest. I felt terrible, considering that it's such a hard to find (expensive) beer, but I don't think I'm ready for stuff like this, and neither is my digestive system.

UnionMade, Jul 31, 2003
3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

Slightly modified version of the Lambic on-tap at CBS. This one was aged in baby bourbon barrels. Poured into a small-sized goblet.

Appearance: Like a slightly hazy apple cider with essentially zero carbination to speak of. Any trace of lacing is non-existent.

Smell: Strong vinegar and tart up front followed by the barrel...mostly woodiness with subtle hints of the bourbon. Some fruitiness, probably strawberries, but you really have to go searching for it. Based on smell alone, not sure if aging a lambic in bourbon is the brightest idea.

Taste: And I was right. The combination of bourbon and sour fruity tartness just does not go well together. Perhaps with the properly chosen fruit, but strawberries? Nuh-uh.

Mouthfeel: Actually much better than I expected, considering the zero carbination present in the beer. Glad this one felt thicker than other lambics I've had. Quite refreshing as well.

Overall: I consider Hannsens' original version of the lambic to be average at best from the start. I just thought that perhaps the bourbon might have been its secret weapon to sway me, but I was dead wrong. It actually made it worse. I think that was probably the last straw and won't be returning to Hanssens' offering of a lambic anymore.

leschkie, Jun 23, 2011
3.24/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with no head and no carbonation.

Nice aroma of strawberry, lacto and mild barnyard.

The flavor is like the aroma with a salty sour acidic finish. It has the texture of water.

Overall, I'd like it much better with some bubbles and realize flat is appropriate for the style. It's quite pricey at $15 per 12oz. and not really worth it to me.

GuzzLah, Mar 03, 2013

Colosdog, Jul 04, 2013

hilgart1, May 24, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

Tiny little pop when the cork came out. Old cheese aroma, then some of that wild yeast sourness. This beer is an old urine yellow with no head. Took awhile for bubbles to appear anywhere in the beer, but they finally arrived. Taste is wildly sequential. Starts off with nice fruit notes, probably strawberries (based on the label only, not my tastebuds) and segues into a graceful sourness...and then...bam! the sour comes in heavy and somewhat artificial. It's puckering, but doesn't seem natural. Mouthfeel, especially early on, is medium. The heavy duty puckering keeps this from being an easy quaff.

pentathlete, May 12, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

No "pop"action at all from the uncorking. A vigorous pour does not form any sort of a head. Only the slightest of bubbly edging. Appearance is light orange with a dash of sunlight. This is one funky smelling beer. Got the horse blanket / barnyard thing going on. And also a little mixture of sweet and sour. Good nose. This beer has got no carbonation at all. Flat to say the least. Like kool aid. The taste is quite acidic and biting. Mouth puckering to a large degree. And tart. Lemon juice in a big way. Grass and hay. Acetic acid. The taste is o.k., but the mouthfeel really drags this beer down for me.

Bighuge, Jan 24, 2004
3.28/5  rDev -12.5%

Date: 4/5/14
Location: Bierkraft
Glassware: Tulip
Appearance: Almost clear gold to amber beer that pours with almost no head. Next to no carbonation. Slightly viscous, the beer momentarily grabs the sides before falling back.
Aromatics: Very pungently sour bordering on soy sauce. I pick up the yeast which is souring then a touch of fruit- strawberries.
Flavor: The beer is tastes more appropriate as a lambic then the aroma did. The sour flavors are more balanced with the strawberry. The sourness is still bordering on soy.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very simple, light, nothing harsh nothing lasting.

KornWallace, Apr 06, 2014
3.33/5  rDev -11.2%

12oz bottle into a flute glass

A: Cork comes out with a very slight pop. And yes, there is really no carbonation. Pours a fairly clear, golden color.

S: I can smell the funk from a foot away when I pop the cork. Very, very funky and fruity sour aroma. I get lots of lemons.

T: Wow - this is a sour beer - crazy sourness. Tons of funk as well - lingering far after the sip. It's a bit extreme with no fruit whatsoever.

M: Really no carbonation and a bit thick. Not very good.

O: Very sour, very funky - just not all that interesting. The lack of carbonation doesn't help, either. I'm not a big fan of this one.

coreyfmcdonald, Dec 18, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Coming in a 375ml green bottle, corked and caged, served lightly chilled in De Dolle Oerbier's long-stemmed goblet.

A: the bottle is opened almost without any hissing sound, suggesting a rather flat body; it ends in the glass a dark orangey golden hue, good clarity, with microscopic fizz attached to the sides of the glass all over, without any beer head.
S: very sharp and odorous funkiness (close to the level of Girardin's Black Label that I personally came [next to] sick to smell, but in a surprisingly... surprised way in my very early days in the world of Lambic/Geuze) comes with a faintly sweet oakiness, pungent cider and a thick body of savoury-sweet salted prunes and oxidised Chinese white pears... Strawberries (mixed of overripe-dessert variety & sour-tannic green ones) come closely at the tail of the pungent lambic, but overall quite trivial.
T: this is the most weird fruit-lambic that I've tried, for the fruits have provided neither a "spark" nor a backbone to the overall flavour, almost non-existent are the strawberries... well, never mind... The lambic itself comes very flat, though, that only the high level of savoury funkiness and salted citrus peels quickly develops and settles down equally fast to a really quiet aftertaste of chewy tannins of old wood, spicy hints of dried white olives and all the musty trimmings that an old lambic would demonstrate. Not bad is the taste actually, if disregarding the fruity bits...
M&D: flat-bodied, musty/funky to bits, with a super-light fruitiness from the strawberries that are said to be used in the brew. Perhaps I've never tasted any strawberry-lambic as understated as this one, but something tells me that this bottle is not pretty right, as this level of carbonation (next to none) is not even quite right for a bottled lambic. That said, the lambic base still shows a degree of decency in quality that can't be brushed off that easily. This is "Hanssens", so nothing should go too wrong, I take it?

wl0307, Mar 15, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: Orange with a hint of amber, paper-thin white head, nearly flat

Smell: Funky (but a bit of the off, gym sock type funk), strawberries, although perhaps moldy

Taste: Funky and musty, week-old strawberries in the background and some stale white bread

Mouthfeel: Thin, could use a hint of carbonation

Drinkability: The odd funkiness of this one slowed down consumption considerably

craytonic, Dec 24, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -9.9%

Appearence: Pours a clear copper with no signs of carbonation. The head is white, and doesn't really stay.

Smell: There is definitly a strawberry smell, but it mixes with an odd smell I can't quite put my finger on.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. It's completely flat. That kinda takes away from the fun of a lambic. The flavor is an almost fake strawberry mixing with a kerosene or gasoline flavor, but somehow that winds up being kinda enjoyable. Really steange. The mouthfeel is flat and not fun.

Drinkability and Overall: An interesting tasting beer, that somehow works. This is not as wonderful or mind-blowing as say a Cantillon or a Lindeman's, but it's still ok. Give it a shot if you're in the mood for something odd.

santoslhalper, Mar 13, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a Bordeaux glass.
2000 Vintage

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange color with hues of red. Very little bubbles, just a small white ring of them around the edge of the glass

Smell: Awesome funky nose. Very earthy, barnyardy, wet horse, and lemon rind.

Taste: Very funky through the palate. Earthy, tangy with a back of ripe red strawberries and raspberries.

Mouthfeel: Sour, acidic, yet flat, with little to no carbonation left.

Drinkability: It was an interesting drink. I enjoyed it but, would definitely have to share a 750 with a friend or 2.

triptens, Jul 29, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -9.9%

This was my first foray into lambics. My father brought back a bottle from Belgium

I understand this is an old style lambic (hence the "oud" in the name) and these tend to be a little more bitter and sour. Though technically a fruit lambic from what I have read, but, this beer actually remains close to the pure lambic style that is an "Unblended lambic is a cloudy, uncarbonated, slightly sour beverage available on tap in only a few locations."

The appeance is good. It is a little cloudy and there is little to no carbonation present. It pours a nice strawberry blond color (hey look at that strawberries are in it!)The smell is rather pungent. A bit leathery and earthy. The aroma has a vague hint of strawberries.

Taste the taste is quite complex with only a vague hint of strawberries. I have to wonder if this beer has gone bad. but since I have not had this style before I am trying to judge it on it's style. The reason I say this is that it has an almost vinegar like taste to it. I am not too fond of it but one can taste the malt and the hops. It finishes nicely with a bit of a dry pucker.
I personally would not drink this particular one very often. It was not really sweet and was very sour. However, I think if you typically enjoy the style this might be a good one to try.

jongillin, Aug 02, 2006