Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002)

Zekenyce, Aug 11, 2014

cyrushire, Aug 08, 2014

PatGreer, Aug 05, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

BobbyDigitali, Jul 26, 2014

NeilFlaiz, Jul 24, 2014
4.19/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A first try for me. This Lambic was incredibly interesting. Right when I popped it open, a wafted aroma of funk and musty lust braised my snout. As it was poured into a pint glass, the color arranged itself into a nice, murky, hazy reddish-orangish-slightly-brownish hue. I examined its innards and saw a little bit of what looked like strawberry seeds floating. As I brought the glass to my lips, that musty aroma I first smelt became strong with force. It tickled the inside of my nose and I could almost taste the concoction on the back of my tongue. The first sip just about made me cough. In a good, exciting way. The first flavor I noticed was a green olive, acidic, vinegarish taste. I was oddly intrigued by this as I usually discern these flavors in my beer. But I LIKED it! As I got through and through this bottle, those strawberry notes became more apparent. And by the end, my throat was scorched, my palate was wrecked, and I was internally satisfied. I even let my room mate try a sip (who does not drink craft beer regularly) and it almost made him throw up.

HellSludge, Jul 24, 2014

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

hilgart1, May 24, 2014

st9647v3, May 22, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

375ml bottled in April 2013. Served in a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a peach/apricot color with barely any head save for a tiny ringlet of white foam. Body is extremely hazy and just barely translucent.

Smell: Lots of fresh, maybe slightly under ripe strawberries, lemon sourness, some funk, and very mild oak. The strength and freshness of the strawberry character was a welcome surprise.

Taste: Wow that's sour! Strawberry character at the front, gives way quickly to a strong acidic sourness that dominates the palate through the the middle. Once the sourness starts to recede, there are additional notes of strawberry as well as funk, lactic bacteria and a slight peachy character.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but somewhat thin mouthfeel. Carbonation is on the low side of low, but there's definitely enough there to avoid feeling flat on the tongue.

Overall: Definitely a solid lambic, but I actually think it would benefit from being a little LESS sour (this is not something I say/type often). The intense sourness overtakes some of the berry nice berry and funk character that's going on underneath. Worth picking up if you can find it around $10.

Jonada, May 18, 2014

illeagle05, May 17, 2014

Mattias, May 17, 2014
3.81/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of a 375 mL green bottle with a cork and cage with a bright red cap. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours a hazy amber golden hue with darker brass shadows and a spun gold highlight where the light refracts through the glass. Atop the body sits a wimpy eight-finger head that dissipates before it even really grows into anything. It quickly settles as a lazy ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. For what little there it, the color appears to be off white.

Smell - Pretty forward with notes of the strawberry that is pictured on the label. A slight pinch of sour with sweetness, much like a strawberry tart with notes of rhubarb. There is also considerable funk and mustiness like the tart has sat out a bit too long and just barely started to develop that twinge of spoilage. It's hard to explain, but it doesn't smell moldy or rotten--just strongly influenced by wild bacteria and funky yeast.

Taste - Here the distinctive strawberry notes seem to fade back, pushed out of the way by a strong puckering acidity reminiscent of sour candy, but not quite as sweet. That same musty funk is still present, with now a bit more definition revealing itself as woody oak and vinegar. I was really impressed by the smell, as strange as it was, but the taste is too one note. I love a good sour, but this one is sour enough that you really don't get much else. A little time warming up allows the fruity phenols to show through, but it doesn't get any less tart.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and low carbonation with just barely enough tingly sensations to avoid feeling flat to the tongue.

Overall, an interesting take on the lambic style, as most fruit lambics either stick to some old standbys--cherries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.--or they are sugary sweet messes a la Lindeman's. I'm not sure I would buy this particular Hanssens again, but this is another beer that shows that they seem to know their way around a sour beer or three.

LambicPentameter, May 15, 2014