Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002)

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.19/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A first try for me. This Lambic was incredibly interesting. Right when I popped it open, a wafted aroma of funk and musty lust braised my snout. As it was poured into a pint glass, the color arranged itself into a nice, murky, hazy reddish-orangish-slightly-brownish hue. I examined its innards and saw a little bit of what looked like strawberry seeds floating. As I brought the glass to my lips, that musty aroma I first smelt became strong with force. It tickled the inside of my nose and I could almost taste the concoction on the back of my tongue. The first sip just about made me cough. In a good, exciting way. The first flavor I noticed was a green olive, acidic, vinegarish taste. I was oddly intrigued by this as I usually discern these flavors in my beer. But I LIKED it! As I got through and through this bottle, those strawberry notes became more apparent. And by the end, my throat was scorched, my palate was wrecked, and I was internally satisfied. I even let my room mate try a sip (who does not drink craft beer regularly) and it almost made him throw up.

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

375ml bottled in April 2013. Served in a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a peach/apricot color with barely any head save for a tiny ringlet of white foam. Body is extremely hazy and just barely translucent.

Smell: Lots of fresh, maybe slightly under ripe strawberries, lemon sourness, some funk, and very mild oak. The strength and freshness of the strawberry character was a welcome surprise.

Taste: Wow that's sour! Strawberry character at the front, gives way quickly to a strong acidic sourness that dominates the palate through the the middle. Once the sourness starts to recede, there are additional notes of strawberry as well as funk, lactic bacteria and a slight peachy character.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but somewhat thin mouthfeel. Carbonation is on the low side of low, but there's definitely enough there to avoid feeling flat on the tongue.

Overall: Definitely a solid lambic, but I actually think it would benefit from being a little LESS sour (this is not something I say/type often). The intense sourness overtakes some of the berry nice berry and funk character that's going on underneath. Worth picking up if you can find it around $10.

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba