Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002

1.39/5  rDev -62.9%

A-pours a lot like juice, no pop, no carbonation, no head whatsoever. honey colored

S-smells super funky, i'n getting only a little bit of strawberry in here toward the end. its a strong scent that is fairly simple.

T-hits with a very sour and funky taste with some small hints of belgian yeasts. there's only a little bit of strawberry flavor. overall, its just all of low quality. its honestly a little bit gross. i like sours and lambics, but there's something wrong with this one. it tastes almost like i'm being poisoned.

M-watery all the way through, absolutely horrible

D-the more I tasted this one, the grosser it got. this was a drain pour, i would never even use this as marinade for meats...its just awful (720 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Golden color.
S: Barnyard funk
T: Quite sour. Strawberry grassiness vaguely in background. Astringent bitter aftertaste (tannins?). Lemons. Oak.
M: Carbonation low to nonexistant. Acidity means that body is not thin.
O: Too intense for my palate. The sourness and tannins are overwhelming. No body or sweetness to balance. And considering the price ($11/375mL) makes it a horrible value. Sorry guys, I appreciate the attempt to make natural products in traditional style, but this does not mean that balance of flavour can be overlooked. (541 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -18.9%

Tum tum te tum tum...

Pours a golden honey color. No head at all, which worries me some. The carbonation, what there is of it, doesn't really rise - the bubbles cling to the side of the glass...Obviously no lacing...

Aromas are barnyard, which is slightly typical for the style. I get horse stall, some sour funk, and a lot of citrus. A hint of sweetness...

Almost forgot the basics: $8.99/12 oz. bottle and 6% ABV..Very expensive...

Unbelievable sour...This is the most sour I've ever tasted. It's like eating an unripe grapefruit. Almost too one dimensional..I hardly can get to any of the other flavors or nuances in this. This is the Clubber Lang of ales. One trick, but it's powerful. If it were a woman, it would be Linda Lovelace...There is some good stuff unbderneath the sour, but it's almost impossible to reach. My tongue is starting to pucker. Crikey...It even tingles my nose...No carbonation in the glass, so nothing to take the edge off...Too bad, if this were fresh I'd bet it'd be much better. As it is, it's novelty only.

What I like most: The nice funky aroma profile.

What I like least: The unbelievably overpowering sour..

Verdict: Too expensive to drink when it's not fresh. Look elsewhere. (1,219 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +5.1%

Corked-and-caged 350ml bottle poured into a Rodenbach flute. Lot B.

A - Pours a hazy gold with an ever-so-slight pinkish hue to it. No head, but there's some small bubbles that gather on the sides of the glass.
S - Super sour and funky, with a good amount of acidity and straw. Slight aromas of unripe strawberry and lemon juice.
T - More lemon juice and acidity, with a faint wisp of berries. Don't know if I'd guess strawberries if I wasn't told, but there's a definite "red berry" flavor in there. Pleasantly musty and dry finish, slightly moldy, like a good cheese.
M - Slick, with a medium body and low carbonation. Really would have liked to see more carbonation, not nearly "sharp" enough for my taste.
D - Despite the carbonation, I'm really enjoying this one. Very tart and complex, another great Lambic from Hanssens. (828 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a Stillwater wine glass. First thing, this beer is still, no carbonation, no head, no lacing, that was unexpected. It's yellow and hazy, almost orange.

Beer smells acetic and oaky, funky and harsh. Its like hay and awesomeness rolled in funk.

Beer is super tart and really sour on the finish. There is a dirty blanket after taste and this odd sourness that sticks to my gums. The aftertaste is overwhelming. Hard to process. I think I might be blind. This is about the most sour thing I've ever tasted. There is a shadow of woody oak that reaches out of the back of my throat and tries to strangle me. Beer is also thicker than I thought it would be but still finishes really dry. The second drink was much better than the first. Its mellowing and growing on me. Strawberries? Really? I don't think so. This is like a harsh, sour, tart, unblended, flat lambic. I like it. (885 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a deep yellow/orange with a pinkish hue. Pours nearly flat just a few bubbles in a partial ring. Smells funky, citrusy and sour. I get oak but don't get any strawberry. The taste is very sour, oak, strawberries. A bit moldy in the taste too. Body is light +. Overall a bit tough to deal with the lack of carbonation. (322 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Light orange/unripe peaches, 0 head, opaque body.

S- Lots sourness definitely do get some light strawberry smell after making an effort to sniff it out. Kind of like strawberry juice mixed with water. A bit of funk.

T- Lemon berry flavor, light mold and funk not as strong as other lambics. Musty dry finish.

M- Light feel no carbonation, would've liked to see a bit more.

D- Tasty brew, not an intense sour lambic, pretty easy drinking. (445 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Medium Gold color with minimal white head.

S: Belgian Funk with maybe the slightest strawberry aroma.

T: Upfront puckering sour followed by tart unripened strawberries. Some vinegar/acidity also makes it's presence felt. Finishes dry.

M: Medium body with the slightest bit of carbonation.

D: Puckering sour with tart strawberry works for my tastes. Fair warning to those who like more moderate sours; there is no sweetness in this one. it disappeared from my glass too quickly.

I will be getting this again. (515 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a hazy peach color with zero head whatsoever. Perfumey sour aroma with lemons and freeze-dried strawberries. It's got that deep, refreshing tartness that you only smell in the best lambics. Flavor packs a nice sour wallop with ultra-tart strawberry notes and that dried strawberry sweetness. A little unripe stone fruit at times and a bit of hay bale as well. Once the tongue acclimates to the sourness, some honeyed malts come through to provide a touch of balance. A completely still beer, but the sourness acts in place of CO2 to refresh the palate. Very dry despite a body medium in heft. (598 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light orange - nice-looking but nothing special, really. Strawberry jam and wet stone on the nose. There's funk, but more bale-of-hay than horse's-ass. Not the sourest sour I've ever had - Hanssen's Experimental Raspberry may take that title - but it's definitely way up there. The strawberry doesn't come through as strongly on my palate as I expected, but it's there on the finish. It's a really enjoyable beer, so sweet on the nose and so tart on the palate... a very pleasurable contrast.

Mouthfeel was good (though I thought I felt my teeth dissolving...). Carbonation was higher than I expected for Hanssens, which was a plus, but still, there was barely any. Seemed stylistically appropriate.

All things considered, the drinkability was quite good. But I was happy with my half of the 375ml that I shared with a friend. (836 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from bottle, labeled 2000, into tulip glass.

I was a little worried about this beer due to several recent mediocre reviews; however, I am a big fan of their other brews so I figured I would give it a go. Man was I glad I did! Great beer!!

A: Not winning any awards here but seems on par for the style. Hazy burnt orange with very little head or lace.

S: Oh yes! Stewed strawberry/ Goat Cheese/ Lemon Rind/ Oak/ Wet stone

T: The lemon rind hits you up front and then you get that nice goat funk on the mid palate that fades into a nice strawberry with hefty amount of sourness. There is a slight metallic tinge on this beer, but it is not distracting. Moreover, the sourness of this beer is well balanced. The finish is quite long.

MF: This is a nice medium body beer that has no carbonation.

D: This beer is a real treat to drink. The complexity makes you want to keep coming back for more and the sourness makes your mouth water.

Overall:
Man I must have scored a good bottle of this, because this is a really tasty beer. I really love how the strawberry integrates into this beer. Well done! (1,107 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Served at around 57 Degrees, poured into a Lucifer goblet. This is the United International's masters collection year 2000. Should there be a separate listing for this? I guess its technically the same beer...

A: Bottle let out a slight whimper of pressure during the uncorking. Beer is sandy orange and pours with no carbonation, or head. Quite murky but not opaque.

S: WOW. Crazy sour and burns the nostrils. very moldy and dusty. suggestions of mushroom, walnut, prunes. Oak and strawberries make an appearance but oak is more dominant. Probably the most sour and funky beer ever. I'm really not sure how to rate this. the Funk is overwhelming.

T: This is quite an experience. Again things are very funky, sour and moldy. Sourness stings the throat occasionally. Similar to other aged lambics I've had but more extreme perhaps. Takes a 5-6 sips for your palate to adjust, and even then it is very funky and sour. Strawberry comes through, but as a sour note as well. almost like unripe strawberries. Sweetness is non-existent

M: quite astringent. Dry finish really squeezes the palate. Carbonation is not present. Could be better with a little lift.

D: If you have one of these 2000 vintages, I suggest you drink it with a friend, or sip slowly. (1,253 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: Orange with a hint of amber, paper-thin white head, nearly flat

Smell: Funky (but a bit of the off, gym sock type funk), strawberries, although perhaps moldy

Taste: Funky and musty, week-old strawberries in the background and some stale white bread

Mouthfeel: Thin, could use a hint of carbonation

Drinkability: The odd funkiness of this one slowed down consumption considerably (394 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -7.7%

Wow, very strange beer. A pretty aggressive pour yielded no head, but a few tiny bubbles clung to the wine glass. A closer look shows it is indeed carbed. Murky-peach color. Not all that inviting really.

The smell is super funky, wow. It's like rancid milk from a bowl of frankenberry cereal. Barnyard central. A little vomit smell too....yikes.

The taste, after the questionable smell was a great surprise, MASSIVE sourness with a good strawberry flavor but also an incredibly dry finish. I couldn't stop taking sips. Delicious.

What a strange and interesting beer! $9 was too much for a tiny bottle but this was a fun one to try. The thing that struck me the most was how different the taste was from the smell. (716 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +23.2%

Big thanks to Beersack for hooking me up with this and so many other brews.

A - It pours with a daunting appearance: peach, hazy and still, suggesting a ruggedly acidic character.

S - Big tart and lactic notes, vinegar-y oak, sulfur, char and mineral make up the very impressive nose. Fruit is no where to be found, this is closer to an unblended Lambic or Gueuze in the nose.

T - The ghost of strawberry is buried deeply beneath a very dry Lambic. Starts quite tart; sweet flavor, like ripe strawberry, appears briefly. It is not actually sweet, but it is a flavor associated with sweetness so it lends the impression. Very nice stuff, actually one of the best Lambics I've had in a while.

M - Puckering, dry, drying, and then mouthwatering on the totally clean finish. Awesome.

D - I'll drink this anytime, anywhere. (823 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Picked this up from Total Beverage the other night after having walked by it a number of times. A fan of the other Hanssens offerings, so I thought it was finally worth a try.

Appearance- Pours a pale straw yellow that has maybe the slightest tinge of pink to it as well. Very minimal carbonation off of a very aggressive pour, just enough to put a thin coating of larger bubbles across the surface.

Smell- Hugely funky and acetic on the nose. Smells big of barnyard funk with a touch of wet leather. Lots of sour on the end with a touch of strawberry fruitiness.

Taste- Again, big sour and big funk without a lot more to it than that for me. Big notes of barnyard with a strong sour finish. Not much in the way of fruit for me, perhaps just a faint touch of strawberry on the finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is pretty appropriate for the style if just a touch thin for how sour it is. Drinkability is not great given the strong funk and sourness but okay for the style

Overall, not my most favorite offering from Hanssens but alright. I prefer other fruit lambics over this but an interesting use of strawberry. (1,127 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a murky golden yellow with a slight pink hue and no head.

After I poured this, I had to step out of my apartment for a few minutes. The moment I stepped back inside I could smell lambic throughout my living room. A fruity barnyard aroma...notes of strawberry, pear, apple, hay, mudpuddle, and flowers. Nice.

The flavor is very sour. Very sour. Oh boy, this really hits the spot tonight! Strawberry, cherry, and pear notes on top of earthy yet bright finish. The acidity is stinging my throat...holy cow don't bother drinking this if you aren't into puckering sourness.

The body is medium and carbonation is very low making for a heavier feel. Tongue and throat corroding, juicy finish.

Well, what this one lacks in depth is sure as hell makes up for in balls to the wall flavor. Big and fruity and sour and overall extremely tasty. Meant for small doses though unless you don't mind burning a hole in your esophagus. (926 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pale, pinkish amber body. Quite clear on the initial pour. No head. Only a stray trace of lace left behind.

S: You can smell the acidity. Some funky feet and cheese. Earthy. The strawberry was quite faint. Unlike krieks and framboises that really distance themselves from their lambic base with the addition of fruit, the strawberry here left the underlying lambic relatively untouched.

T: Acidic funk. Earthy with quite a bit of oak, cheese, horse blanket, and mildly sweaty feet. Just the slightest bit of strawberry.

M: Light to medium bodied. Relatively still. Enamel eating acidity.

D: Drank a bit slower that I would have liked. Really enjoyed the funk... just wished there was a bit more strawberry to go with the acidity. (736 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -30.4%

From a 375ml bottle, bbe 7/8/2027 (nope, not a typo) Pours initially as essentially cloudy urine. Settles down to an amber colour, with the cloud only discernible under close scrutiny, and lightly sparkling.

The only strawberry beer I've had is the sickly sweet Fruli, but I wasn't prepared for what I got with this.

There's a sourness which assaults the back of the mouth on swallowing and no recgonisable strawberry flavour at all.

My wife complained several times about the urine odour coming from my glass, so that's not really a plus point either....

If you're looking for a sour lambic (I'm not, generally) this might float your boat, but as a fruit lambic, it's not working for me. Definitely wouldn't try it again. (727 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -32.8%

Small capped bottle, well cared for in my cellar for three years.

Poured into a tulip, hazy golden, very flat, with not a single bubble to be seen.
Fruity and funky aroma, sour and vinegary.
The body is medium, but although a lot of great lambics are not exactly bursting with bubbles, this one is just plain flat, which limits the enjoyment and compromises the body.
I am a big fan of lambics, but this one is just plain acidic and sour, and not very pleasant.
One of my few disappointments with true belgian lambics. (523 characters)

375mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Year 2000 version.

(A)- Pours a hazy brilliant golden orange color that produced some white and transparent bubbles.

(S)- Very dry hay funk with a light tartness. Some ripe delicious smelling strawberries in the background.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A big sourness in the middle with subtle strawberry-like fruits. Has some funk, but minimal.

(M)- A prickly carbonation level that feels higher than it is due to its high acidity level. A good balance of fruit and funk, but the acidic sourness has them all beat.

(D)- A good lambic. Not extraordinary, but an easy drinking one with a nice freshness to it. (679 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

A -- A hazy golden with a slight pink hue, only detectable in the soft light I'm currently working in. Almost no carbonation, settling quickly and dissipating without surprise after a ten year wait.

S -- Holy wow. The funk and the fruit are both apparent in equal measure. A strawberry sweetness balanced perfectly by the pungent sour. A bit of earthiness on the back end.

T -- A little different than anticipated from the nose. Definitely sour, grassy, dry, with a very muted fruit (strawberry) essence. The wood is present in the finish, accentuated by a citrus note.

M -- Acidic, dry, flat. Nice pucker.

D -- A solid representation of the style, I wish I had the access and the patience to get a fresh one and age one for this long in the same vintage year for a solid comparison. (787 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +21.9%

2000 vintage... mostly still with just a touch of carbonation bubbling up through the pink amber liquid. not much to speak of here. pretty much what i expected. age has done this one well and the nose is mostly earthy, wild must with just a hint of strawberry and wood coming through. it seems like mostly everything sweet has been eaten by the yeast. awesome. elegant. taste is sour and wild, balanced by what used to be strawberry and rounded out by the oak. refreshing and tart with a slick, medium mouthfeel that goes down way too easy. not too sour, not too wild. elegant and classy, this is always one of my favorite lambics.

edit: after having a relatively fresh bottle, I realized how lucky i was to find a bunch of old bottles. the fresher is a lot more tart and sour, and definitely loaded with strawberries. still an awesome beer, but needs a few more years to come in to it's own. laying a few of these down is a great idea. (937 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from oz caged and corked bottle into tulip.

A. Very little carbonation on the pour. A very fine super small ring of head. No lacing. Color is a rich orange.

S. Smell is pretty strong. A bit of sour strawberries. Some funkineess lies underneath the unripened strawberry smell. Has an earthy smell to it. Overall pretty sour smell.

T. Wow. Very sour unripe strawberry taste. The strawberry flavor lingers in the mouth. This one made me pucker. Its hard to get past the sourness and taste what else might be going on.

M. Medium/low body. Very low carbonation.

D. Drinkability is low for me. I can't get past how sour this is. Its pretty tongue curling sour. The Strawberry flavor is of the unripened variety, which really isnt my cup of tea. A little carbonation might do this beer a lot of good and take some of the edge of the sourness. (850 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.9%

Notes: Two year old straight lambic (Blend of Boon and Girardin) matured for one year.

Opened two of these from the latest batch that just arrived in town. Not vintage dated. The first bottle was still, and sublime as always. Second bottle actually had a pop, some bubbles, and was monumentally funky.

Sulfur, washed rind cheese, horsehair, manure, just intensely, outrageously funky. Very polarizing to the group. After 10 minutes or so, the barnyard cloud lifted, and the gentle oaky sandalwood and green sour strawberry notes came through.

Strawberries were much more present in the taste than previous batches. Oak is big too, damp and musty wet wood. There was an inkling of carbonation, though the body has a fullness to it despite this. Unblended lambic is traditionally still anyway, as there is no young lambic or priming sugar used to carbonate (this is not a flaw or mistake, it's by design).

To me, this lambic is really out there, and something for those looking to explore the wild fringe of what's possible/acceptable in a lambic. Not for the faint of heart, try with an open mind and you'll be rewarded. After sampling a dozen or so bottles over the last few years, the batch/bottle variation is a fun part of the ride, and expected for an artisanal product.

09-18-2007
4/4/4/4.5/4.5 A- 4.1

Generously received in trade from JesseDaniel.
Black and white label, different than the one pictured with the strawberry plant illustration. Either this is a fresh bottle, or prior to the 2006 edition.

Poured into a Hanssens tumbler, the deep gold lambic retains a thin ring of foam for the duration of the glass. A second pour generates some larger bubbles, that seem to quickly dissipate, then cling to one side of the glass. Though lambic is traditionally flat, a few lazy streams of tiny bubbles are visible in the glass. The bottle is carefully decanted to leave the sediment.

Vague strawberry scent, musty wood, and a cheese note as the bottle is opened. As it sits, the sharpness is left, and the more subtle notes dissipate.

Sharp cheese, green underripe strawberry, lemon juice, yogurt, grapefruit. Dry woody aftertaste, oaky tannin lends alot of depth to the mouthfeel. Starts out juicy and fruity, and ends with the dry woody notes. Mellower than young lambic, actually moderate on the sour scale, when compared with Drie Fontienen and Cantillon.

Light acidity that gets the salivary glands working, not much carbonation, but not completely flat. Again, a woody fullness that enhances the overall mouthfeel score.

It's relative mellowness makes it more approachable on the sour scale, but it's not for the beginner/faint of heart/pregnant/weak stomach/acid reflux prone. One to sip and savor, for the hardcore lambic lovers out there. (2,771 characters)

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba