Oudbeitje Lambic - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002

2.06/5  rDev -44.9%

375ml c&c without a lot notched.

The cork came out of this one easily and free of audible carbonation. In fact, I'm surprised the beer doesn't leak out, as easily as the cork popped out and easily I was able replace it... The beer is golden with a twinge of pink. Free from any visible signs of carbonation and pretty much looks like still chicken broth to be honest. Not attractive.

Smells of lemons, grass, hints of manure and mung bean sprouts. Nothing particularly special, does smell sour, which makes me happy.

Quite sour indeed, a tightening of my masticating muscles indicate as much. Indeed there is a slight sweet strawberry I didn't anticipate. Some notes of lemon and metal. A little soil in there as well.

Not even what I would classify as an effervescence. This beer is flat, thin and has a wet finish. It is better as it warms, then it takes on a buttery feeling.

This was an interesting experience. The highest beer I've ever rated was a straight unblended lambic from the barrel; completely flat. Although I found that experience to be outstanding, this one is far from that. The beer is ugly, and feels awkward. I expected carbonation, where previously I had not, that totally flavored my experience. Although thrown off, I was not completely disappointed.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz bottle into a flute glass

A: Cork comes out with a very slight pop. And yes, there is really no carbonation. Pours a fairly clear, golden color.

S: I can smell the funk from a foot away when I pop the cork. Very, very funky and fruity sour aroma. I get lots of lemons.

T: Wow - this is a sour beer - crazy sourness. Tons of funk as well - lingering far after the sip. It's a bit extreme with no fruit whatsoever.

M: Really no carbonation and a bit thick. Not very good.

O: Very sour, very funky - just not all that interesting. The lack of carbonation doesn't help, either. I'm not a big fan of this one.

4.29/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip. Thanks to JAHMUR for sharing.

A: Hazy pale orange body, lightly frothy white head. Ok.

S: Crazy sour, crazy funky. Yeah, just crazy. Cheese, dirt, lemon, strawberry, grass, leaves. Awesome.

T: Super sour, earthy fruit. Strawberries - stems, seeds, and all. Puckering acidity. Clean, sour finish. Yes.

M: Fairly still medium body. Smooth but lifeless.

O: You can count on Hanssens to be anything but boring, and this one is no exception. Offensively sour and funky, and that's why I love it.

Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

4.97/5  rDev +32.9%

A - pours a pale golden see through. Obviously no head.

S - !!! Beautiful strawberry and funk. So stinking sour just from the nose.

T - intense! Very fresh, un ripe strawberries. Very funky. Loads of strawberries and very funky. I love it.

M - medium bodied and no carbonation.

O - this is the best lambic I've had. It's so perfect. I love every part about it.

4.75/5  rDev +27%

4.01/5  rDev +7.2%

mid-dark gold, clear, 0 head after forceful pour

lambic smell, grass, a hint of the strawberrys, tartness, the strawberry smell is sweet though

Tart taste, not as tart as the hansenns gueuze I think, strawberry flavor is very minimal but I pick it up on the tail end, lemon tart is the predominant fruit flavor I'm getting

Mouthfeel is pretty average for a lambic, dry and tart, not as palette coating as some lambics

Good beer, would have liked it more if the strawberry was more forceful and it was made with carbonation like an oude kriek style. Good pickup on the journey through lambic land though.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. Lot C.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a mostly clear bright golden peach color with a 1/8 to 1/4” loosely bubbled head that soon recedes to leave a ring of medium large bubbles and a thin partial layer of foam. Sipping leaves no lacing at all as any bubbles slide back down to the ring.

Smell: The aroma here is a complex mix of several things that take a while to sort out and even then I’m not sure I recognize them all. From the moment the bottle is opened onwards there is a musty, earthy, leathery character that overlays a trace of fruit that has to be strawberry but which has more of a citric character than I usually think of with strawberry. While it takes some getting used to I don’t find it unpleasant.

Taste: The first sip puckers the mouth quickly and then the tartness begins to spread. Initially the impression is of lemon that turns into some sour apple that then transforms into mild strawberry with a light touch of sweetness as it rolls back across the tongue. Meanwhile the sides of the mouth are still feeling the pucker from the tartness and way back in the retro-nasal area there is still some citric character. Mingling in here and there throughout are the musty, earthy, leathery bits that let you know this is a lambic.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is on the light side of medium bodied with only some faint prickly carbonation. The finish is on the long side and is very complex. From the lemon tartness it seems to mellow out into a lightly sweet strawberry flavor before the dry astringency finishes things off.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: I’m finding this beer is surprisingly drinkable. Given the aromas and flavors and some of the descriptions I read before buying it I didn’t expect to enjoy it so much, but I think that this beer suffers from the inadequacy of words alone to convey the rich complexity of a sensory experience like this. I won’t hesitate to buy another bottle of this one when I encounter it. Its not something for every night but it is definitely a treat. My overall impression is of a beer that is extraordinarily complex and that I personally am giving high marks based on that complexity and the fact that I’m enjoying this one so much.

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

A minimal pop of the cork. Not much noise. Lot C.

Flat dead head. Nothing generated not even a colar barley a faint ring whispered of white. Body though is a soft orange and glowing yellow.

Nose is bretty, mild yeast and fruit strawberry. Smells more gueze like with its hot bread character. Very interesting.

Sour tart but not really that acidic. Tart citrus without a distinct fruit angle (the closest seems like lemon). Mild sour bread dough on the finish going off with the vinous fruit character. Even salty finish as well.

Overall quite a fun ride that moves from strawberry to lemon sour and even salty ocean saltiness. I am not sure if the appearance is to be this sort of "flat" but otherwise alright. Checking upon other reviews, appearance is about the norm. So I call good on that.

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a nice blondish red. No head on this one at all. No lacing either. The color looks so inviting.

S- Lots of funk. I get some berry notes not sure if its strawberry but a berry for sure. It seems to be one-sided.

T- Nice and tart, its Hanssens. Nice strawberry finish. I feel the taste is a little more complex then the nose but still kinda one sided.

M- No carbonation, but you know what don't really care. I really feel i could drink this one anytime. It is very approachable sour, although rather tart it's lack of complexity allows it to be a good transition into sours.

O- I always love Hanssens sours. This is not the best but still very good. Lack of carbonation is somewhat disappointing but like i said not a big deal either. Nice and tart like i like em'. Easy drinking sour that i would love to enjoy again.

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba