Scarenbecca Kriek - Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Scarenbecca KriekScarenbecca Kriek

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: aerozeppl on 12-19-2010

Lambic brewed with wild Belgian Schaerbeek sour cherries.
Ratings: 161 | Reviews: 67
2.45/5  rDev -36.7%

375mL bottle to stemless wine glass. $24 for the single. Sampled on 8/13/11.

A: The body is a dark shade of ruby with hints of a red. The color is beautiful and seductive, but that's the only thing going for it, at least from an appearance standpoint. No head, no lacing, no carbonation - this beer couldn't appear any more lifeless.

S: The cherry and oak aromas are satiating. Lightly vinous, lightly tannic. Cherry PEZ. Sourness is evident from the moment the cork is lifted.

T: One dimensional cherry flavor. As expected, a little sweet and a lot sour. Lightly acidic.

M: Medium to light body. Slick texture and zero carbonation. If given the right amount of effervescence, this beer could turn around quick, especially the bubbles elevated the flavors.

O: Just a bad investment. There's no other way to put it. Sure, there is a redeeming qualities to be had, but for the price [ESPECIALLY!] the consumer is owed a much better experience.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

This may be my craziest rating. High in appearance and in smell and low in test, mouthfeel and drinkability.

Pours a clear medium deep cranberry red with no head but very nice looking.

Nose is initially a "gray smoke" quality, almost like the smoke from putting out a fire with water, that then develops a bit of an oak barrel nose. Goes to a white bread toast with hints of fruit. Layered, complex and appealing nose.

Mouthfeel is without carbonation; has a big sour character but without any discernable fruit or style and definitely needs more acid for my taste.

Not much "character" or flavor profile but there are undertones of sour cherry. There is a citric/sour character that you want to like but it just misses and is just lacking in most elements. Not real appealing any respect and no something that is inviting to drink.

Some carbonation would have assisted this one. Just not one you want to drink. Finish is simple citric sour with no brightness.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

Reviewed from notes-- still trying to get caught up!
Shared by khazaduhm and served in Captain Lawrence tulip.

Looks like Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus. Looks like red maraschino cherry juice. Like cherry grenadine. There is no carbonation at all-- it is completely flat. For $26 per 375 ml, I was expecting at least a little carbonation-- and I could handle missing some bubbles if the flavor made up for it...

My personal thought is this: if you're going to release a beer that's flat, mention it on the label. This is a style that generally DOES have carbonation, so when a flat batch arises, don't try to get away with something and sell it as though it came out perfectly. Own up to it. The customers will respect you more.
We did open 2 bottles of this, and I have since opened a third-- all were flat.

The smell is cherries... Very sweet. Just a hint of tartness. No real sour notes to speak of. The cherries aren't bad--- but they aren't enough here. This is way too much like drinking cherry juice and not enough like drinking a lambic from a professional brewery.
The taste is boring. Just sweet cherries. A slight tart bite, but again, not sour.
Overall-- meh. I won't be buying this beer ever again. Not worth the $13 per bottle that the regular Hansen's lineup costs, let alone double that!

2.89/5  rDev -25.3%

bright, clear and dark blood red, stunning, but a a total lack of carbonation... the aroma is very light, the faintest hit of tart farm musk a little cherries, needs more going on, as it warms does become much muskier, not sweet enough or hefty enough... taste shows some nice tartness, almost makes me pucker, wine like, lots of oak, cherries show through in a sweet way, as this warms it becomes even sweeter tons of grape juice... weak mouthfeel, very flat finish... nothing I would get again.

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%

Like one of the reviewers down below, this is an odd review since it ranks high in a couple of categories, but low in others. I was really looking forward to this beer since I'm a fan of Hanssens Oude Gueuze. Also, this wasn't the cheapest bottle.

Uncaged and uncorked it, and there's no pop. Uhoh. Upon pouring, there is absolutely zero carbonation. Great. As a result, there was no head on this beer, but it seems there generally isn't according to the other reviews. The color is absolutely beautiful though. It looks like cherry juice.

Smell is interesting. You can definitely smell the tartness of the cherries and a little bit of sweet funk. And the taste? To me it was disappointing. It tasted like flat, over fermented cherry juice. I really tried to enjoy this beer but ultimately could not. Maybe if this was carbonated I might enjoy it some more, but there really wasn't much there to win me over.

I didn't feel like finishing the bottle, and it broke my heart to drainpour the last couple of ounces, but I really could not see myself finishing the bottle. Similarly, I can't see myself buying this beer again. Maybe I just had a bad bottle? I don't know

3.07/5  rDev -20.7%

I usually break down all the components separately, but this one is so disappointing. Expensive little bottle. Opened it up and and was worried - no pop. Yep, flat as a pancake. The color is fairly appealing - cooked cherries. Smell is a little sharp with some funk in there. Taste is down right watery, with the promise of something good buried in there somewhere. Overall, it's not worth even finishing.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Purchased at Beverage Warehouse Winooski. 375mL green glass cork & cage. No date to be found but the first to ever make it to VT.

Pours still and deep Gothic red. Nose is classic for a nice Kriek, deep dark cherries, oak, woodland floor, leaves, acetic acid, etc. Palate is bracingly sour with a shot of sweetness midpalate that fades on the finish. Super dark cherry flavor, then oak boards, then cherry skins, then earth. No carbonation at all. Finish is sweet rather than drying (not tannic).

Note: Nice, but super pricey which leaves me wondering why I paid $22 for this. Not as good as the Experimental Cassis in my book.

3.26/5  rDev -15.8%

375ml bottle poured into a Geuze glass.

A - Pours a completely still burgundy. No bubbles at all. I know many of the Hanssens offerings have low carbonation, but geez...
S - Big aromas of high-quality cherry, oak, brown sugar, and vanilla. Very nice, not quite as "bright" as the Cantillion or Boon offerings. Funk is definitely there, slightly cheesy.
T - Lots of tart cherry pie flavors, with a touch of that cheese funk, brown sugar, leather, and oak. Very smooth and drinkable, this is missing much of that acid burn finish I get from a lot of other Krieks (my reflux certainly is happy about this!).
M - The flat carbonation certainly hurts this for me. I'm well aware that not all Lambics need sharp, "spritzy" carbonation, but a little would have went a long ways for me here. Medium-bodied with a pretty slick mouth-feel.
O - Glad I tried it but definitely not worth the $25 I paid, especially when the 3F Schaerbeek Lambic runs about 7 bucks more for a 750. Just sayin.

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%

My 2nd BA Review

Yikes! $25 - I'm not so sure about this one.

L = Deep maraschino cherry. I have to take away 0.5 points for the lack of carbonation.

S = Barest bit of honey-vanilla wood to begin, then vibrant cherries, an underbelly of lemon, and a hint of medicine toward the end.

T = Sour first, followed distinctly by toward-dark sour cherries, a balance of minimal sweet cherries, a touch of lemon and a wisp of ammonia. A 4.0 if you really like sour cherries as the complexities are subtle.

F = Please give me carbonation! This negatively affects both the taste and feel, despite it being traditional for many unblended lambics.

D = Not bad at all, but I'd find myself wanting to drink something else.

Overall, I was probably hard on this one in comparing it to Cantillon and 3F, but shouldn't I be? The price doesn't really affect my score at all, although it didn't help.

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – A pleasing dark ruby red color, but surprisingly flat. No pop when I opened the cork, no head, and no lacing.

Smell – Sour cherries, with a stinky, funk.

Taste –Taste was ok; sour cherries and a hint of vinegar.

Mouthfeel – Flat, dry, with a sour bite. Funky sour aftertaste.

Drinkability – A bit flat for my liking. The cherry flavor wasn't my favorite from a lambic. And it was a touch more sour than I like.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

375ml. No bottled on date. Served in a Cantillon tasting glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright ruby red color with no head. Completely still. Body is hazy.

Smell: Cherry, oak, some light sour funk.

Taste: Same s the aroma. Sour pie cherries, oak, musty funk, and hay. Overall funk is character is pretty mild.

Mouthfeel: Light/medium bodied. Slick mouthfeel. Zero carbonation. Finishes dry.

Overall: This was a bit of a disappointment. It's lacking in the funk department, which by itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the beer lacks the intense fruit character I was hoping would fill that void. With that said, it's still a good beer, but definitely not worth the price tag.

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%

12.7 ounce corked and caged bottle, no date on it. Served in a tulip glass, the beer pours a hazy ruby red/purple color with no head at all. No lacing, either. Aroma is sweet and tart cherries, funk, and some oak. The taste is the same as the aroma, but not quite as nice. It's all cherries, funk and oak. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it feels flat with very low carbonation. It is pretty easy to drink. It's a decent enough brew, but it's certainly not worth the money I paid for this ($19.99 a bottle). Disappointing for the price.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

375ml bottle that my cousin scored for $11 which is surely a misprice. Blood red color and no head whatsoever. Aroma is thick cherries. Flavor is solid cherries both sour cherries and a cherry pie flavor. Oddly no funk and almost no tartness according to my tongue. Overall a very fruity kriek but this is no better than a regular hanssens kriek with polish cherries and I didn't really pickup any cinnamon notes that supposedly come along with the schaerbeekse cherries. This beer is certainly not worth the normal $23 price tag and frankly isn't worth half the price tag.

3.59/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a cloudy deep red color lambic with a small bubbly head with no retention or lacing. Aroma of tart notes of cherry with loads of barnyard notes. Taste is also dominated by tart notes of cherries though not as much sour notes or acidity as I was expecting. There is quite a bit of barnyard notes with some funky notes. Body is full with limited filtration and almost no carbonation. Interesting though not something I would need to have on a regular basis.

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Pours cranberry red in color with no apparent carbonation. Aroma of cherries, some funk and some leather. Taste follows the nose but man this is a tart kriek in the best way possible. I really love the taste but the complete lack of carbonation is disappointing. I like this but even with some mild carbonation I would love this!

3.6/5  rDev -7%

12.7 oz. bottle opened by BucketBoy on 12.31.2010. Thanks!

I didn't hear this one open - just a small twist and the cork was soundlessly out. A vigorous pour reveals a bright, blood red beer with sparse, large pink bubbles.

Nose is initially that of (sweet) maraschino cherry syrup with a citrus underbelly. The Hanssens bacterial funkiness, at least here and in Oudbeitje, is vinegar mixed with a certain mineral character.

It's tart without being overly acidic. The schaerbeek cherries are vibrant, making me think of cherry pie, but are more sweet than sour. There's a tiny bit of oak, but the lack of carbonation really quiets the funkiness of the bugs, rendering this kriek a bit one-note. Citric acid shows in the mid-palate, finishing slightly dryly, with some tannic / bitter fruit skin character.

The tricky part. It's almost completely flat. So far as I understand it, Hanssens' experimental cassis and framboise are unblended lambics, meant to be flat. But this, like the Oudbeitje, should have some carbonation. (Someone correct me via BM if I'm wrong here.) I almost want more acidity to balance the lack of carbonation.

All that aside, this has a nice balance of sweet/tart, pleasant citric acidity, and little funk, and my 6 oz. pour disappeared quickly.

Not as good as other schaerbeek beers I've had, and the price point, two dollars per ounce, borders on the absurd (though I know the cherries are hard to find). Pleased to have tried this.

3.69/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: No pop as I remove the cork. Pours an opaque cherry red color with a tiny bubbly head that fizzles to nothing.
S: Acidic cherries, vinegar, light oak. A bit of that signature Hanssens funk, but not as big as other examples I have had from them.
T: At first the acidic character is pretty strong, but seems to diminish with each sip. Tannin like oak and cherry skins. Light earthy funk as well.
M/D: A light body that is almost completely flat. Which makes this really lifeless. Because you don't get much relief from the acidic cherries, this is really one noted and a little slow to sip on.

I enjoy the tannin like oak, and acidic cherries with a bit of skin. Though there is not much else. With the flat carbonation there is no relief, and that is all you get. Because of the price, and there are much better examples, not something I am reaching for often. Though once in a while, this is enjoyable.

3.71/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a murky dark red with a foamy reddish-tan head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is sour with malt, cherry, earth, and funk aromas. Taste is much the same with sour cherry, earth, funk, and acidic flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty, but the smell has slightly better sour cherry aspects in my opinion.

Serving type: bottle.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%

poured into a stemmed drie fonteinen glass

pours a deep ruby red. quite dark with hints of pink in the light. no head what so ever.

deep ripe fresh cherry. very light dry oak. not very complex but very nice cherry.

again, deep ripe cherry. very fresh tasting. barely sour up front with only a light sourness through the finish on the back of the tongue. very soft oak.

dead flat over all. it takes away from the flavor IMO.

good overall but NOT worth the $20 price tag.

3.74/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle purchased at WLV Liquors and poured into Narke tulips (one for me, one for the fiance).

A - Pours ruby red, flat, ultra-thin collar.

S - Tart/sour cherries right up front, barnyard, maybe a touch of sweetness from the cherries, pretty sharp tartness. Has some complexity, actually more then I thought it would have.

T - Similar to the nose, perhaps a bit more one-dimensional. Tart/sour cherries, oak, barn, funk, vinegar, cherry skins dipped in balsamic. No real sweetness like I picked up in the nose, just lots of cherries notes and funk. Finish is all cherries with a tart kick.

M - Light body, no carbonation, dry puckering finish.

O - Good, nothing crazy here and (I don't normally say this) for the price, a bit too expensive. I would rather have Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek for $10 (or so) more with double the beer. I wouldn't probably buy this again, based on price alone, but I would have it again if offered up by someone else.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Served from bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Poured blood red with a very very minimal slight pink head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark fruit, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark fruit, slight sour, and slight tart. It had a light feel on the palate with no real carbonation to speak of. Overall this one might have been flat when I had it, but the flavor on it was still quite nice. In my opinion, the flavor was nicer than the aroma for sure. This one is worth trying if you are a lambic/gueze fan, but I wouldn't make this one my first of the style.

3.86/5  rDev -0.3%

I bought this at the Beer Stein in Portland, my first experience with Hanssen product. I read some reviews here so knew what to expect.

The colour was a deep slightly cloudy red, there was zero head as expected and only the sound of the cork coming out of the bottle.

The smell definitely gave me some barnyard funk with a more subdued cherry aroma

The taste to me was definitely sour cherry with some funk but I found the metallic almost copper taste was almost overpowering the sour cherries. The tartness was satisfying as it turned on the saliva glands on the way by.

The mouth feel was very light, almost like water with virtually no viscosity and was slightly disappointing.

Overall I was hoping for something more at the $23 price point, but it won't turn me away from trying anything else I see from Hanssens

3.87/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A. It is red, basically opaque, there's a bit of lit that comes through, but so limited. There isn't much of a head or lacing.

S. The scent is very, very strong...almost B.O. Cherry and some of a malt.

T/M. It is very sharp. There's a cherry taste that is intense. It is extremely crisp and carbonated. It is strong. High alcohol.

O. For what it is, it is very solid. For the style, it gives me what they advertise. It is extremely expensive ($18 for a 375 ml bottle; I've seen for 30-40 at a bar) so you have to want it. But it is tasty and is high quality. Kriek isn't a style I like, as cherry is a terrible taste, but this is done quite well.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: pours a dark rose red color. Some bigger bubbles on the edges of the glass are the only head that is present. Little to no active carbonation, has a very flat look.

Smell: Tart cherries unsurprisingly jump out on the nose. A heavy dose of acidity lingers underneath the sprite tartness. Breathable oak isn't overly complex but does pair well with the cherries. Some sourness and funk hang on the back end.

Taste: The front is a surprisingly subtle cherry sweetness with some earthy, funky, malts. Then a huge wave of tartness and deep oak blast on to the palate and do not relinquish. Some interesting white grapes and acidic notes poke their way through.

Mouthfeel: Interesting transitions from a sweet, easy front to a palate punishing finish. Carbonation could be higher though, flat mouthfeel really gives the drinker no escape from the tartness.

Overall: Cool to try a rare beer, not quite that elite level of lambic but certainly quite good. A nice slow sipper on a dreary day. I wasn't crazy about the completely flat mouthfeel, but the complex cherry and oak characteristics make up for it.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Dark crimson-purple pour, completely still

Smell: Tart cherries, light funk. Slighly sweet

Taste: Sour cherries with leather, light molasses, oak and light funk. Slightly sweet finish surprisingly. I am just not a fan of schaerbeek cherries I suppose. I'd go for the cantillon lou pepe or drie fonteinen schaerbeek kriek given the choice.

Mouthfeel: COmpletely still

Scarenbecca Kriek from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba