Moinette Blond - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Moinette BlondMoinette Blond

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moinette Blond Alström Bros

MY FAVE OF ALL-TIME !!!

ITS SMOOTH
ITS DELICIOUS
AND
ITS A MUST DRINK FOR ANY BEER LOVER

I probably sell 12 to 15 cases of this a year just by my love for this brew. This was my first belgian ale and it made a massive impression on me from the very first sip. I remember about half way through the bottle I commented to my friend that this was the best beer I've ever tasted even though I'd probably only had a dozen beers under my belt. Now that I've sample well over 300 beers this is still the ONE !!! (667 characters)

On tap at double windsor in brooklyn for saison night.

Pours an amazing looking cloudy gold with a good sized white head for the abv

Smells of fruity hops upfront some bananna

Taste is nice and hoppy upfront that smooths out to a brilliant spiced honey

Mouthfeel is light and pretty highly carbonated

Overall amazing strong saison easily the star of the night (364 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +19%

Moinette Blond pours hazy gold with a fluffy 2” mountainous, persistent white foam cap that rises up above the rim of the glass, leaving thick lace, with a small mound of foam remaining in the glass when you finish. It evokes the kind of foam one sees on the seashore. The nose is honey infused herbs with some light fruit and traces of bread. Light honey, peach, citrus, light grain and biscuit flavors roll over the tongue with a trace of funk, culminating in a slightly sweet finish moderated by a moderately bitter accent. It has very fine soft carbonation that produces a delightfully airy texture. It has a medium body and it very refreshing. Dupont uses those damn green bottles for this - I would give it 100 but every fourth or fifth bottle is skunky. (763 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

750ml. A 2005 vintage. Looks just drop dead gorgeous. Very effervescent, clear almost backlit gold with a dense creamy pure white head. Great citrus smell, with oranges, apricots, and a woody background. Wonderfully smooth, malty flavor. The fruit puts in just enough appearance to sex the place up. It has a peppery spice that balances it all out and a crisp finish. Mouthfeel is perfect carbonation and then a silky, buttery texture underneath. Drinkability is wonderful. It is light, balanced, mellow, and delicious. I don't know if this is a strong pale ale or a saison but I know I'm getting more. I love these guys. (621 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Pure wonderment. I had this beer for the first time at the Hopleaf with Drewbage when he was in Chicago. I really enjoyed it then, so I bought a few bottles for home.

The beer pours a hazy golden color with a big rocky white head. What more could you ask for?!?!

The smell is a hoppy, floral, herbal concoction with fresh bread and pepper mixed in. Wow! Slightly skunky as well, but I like that.

Each sip of this beer makes me want another. It tastes like Spring to me. Wonderously crisp, hoppy, and herbal with a slight spicey floral character. It really tastes like Spring feels to me. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. I love the way this feels.

I could open one after another of these incredible beers! (730 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured a nice yellowish color into a tulip glass. The head is a nice fluffy white and stays there for quite some time. As it simmers, there is lace all around the glass that stays there until you drink all of the brew. Smell is crisp and a slight banana smell along with malt. Fist taste was breath taking. bananas, malt, very complex but yet incredibility smooth and crisp. very little aftertaste. light feeling in the mouth, one cannot help but continually drinking this and wanting more. This beer has made me want more Belgian's, but I don't see how this could be improved on. A must have, in my opinion. (608 characters)

750 ml bottle, temp. around 8° C, in a 350 ml chalice-type glass

A : Potent big white head of wonderfully regularly formed foam, on a slightly hazy golden, tiny-bubbled, body.

S : Candy sugar, toffee, flowers. Subtle but unique.

T : Heaven in a glass ! Citrus, then sugar, then alcohol, perfectly balanced. Palate is awaiting eagerly the next gulp.

M : Light and warm, with a definite bitter finish.

Awesome beer. It is a great aperitif beer, a wonderful companion with mussels or a welsh rabbit. Excellent nightcap. Can turn into a deadly trap if drink without moderation... (581 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a hazy golden color with a magnificently pillowy creamy white head that lasts almost forever and coats the sides of the glass with thick sheets of white lace. An absolutely beautiful beer. Nose is fruity and spicy with notes of clove, pepper, and floral hops. Very aromatic! Medium in body and very, very smooth. Taste is sweet and spicy at first with flavors of fresh fruit, mild banana, juicy orange, coriander, and pepper followed by a raw yeastiness, spicy hops, and a touch of lemon. A phenomenal brew that requires you to savor each sip. (549 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

As much as I like Saison Dupont, I may like the blonde Moinette even more. With its higher 8.5% abv (as opposed to the saison's 6.5%), I view it as a sipping version of the saison. A number of Belgian brewers seem to make a stronger version of their "normal" beer -- Rodenbach and de Koninck come to mind. Similar to the saison in appearance, nose, palate and mouthfeel, Moinette boasts just a little bit more of everything. (427 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

2.012 on cork. Had 5/2013.

This was fantastic. A complete surprise, as it came from a friend (a civilian—aka not a beer geek) who received it in a bet a year ago. Style bias perhaps but this was no where on my radar and now I’m mildly obsessed with getting another bottle of it.

This pours a hazy golden with tight white foaming. It has a surprisingly spicy aroma, peppery and floral. There’s almost a muted hop presence with a herbaceous floral note on it. The flavor has more of the spicy characteristic. Really pleasing and terrifically effervescent. I found it ended with the characteristic Dupont yeasty floral notes & rounded finish. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Don’t be fooled by the “blonde ale” on the label—this is anything but your run of the mill (bland) blonde ale. (804 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap at The Olde Forge in Lanesborough,MASS.. Served from the tap in a goblet type belgian glass. Outstanding beer..Taste reminded me of Nilla Wafers (this is an absolute highbrow comparison)..Had to order another just to make sure..Look forward to enjoying this beer again. (276 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Poured into a Unibroue tulip. 1 finger of pillowy foam rests on top of a golden body. Aroma is beautiful. Refreshing belgian yeast, clove and banana dominate. Lacing is soapy and lingers for just a bit. Worth mentioning is that I swear I saw a dinosaur silhouette in the lacing, brachiosaurus, I believe. Allowed the beer to warm to desired temperature while I researched the name of the dinosaur that I saw in the lacing. Anywho...taste is all that, and a bag of chips. Amazing masking of 8.5% ABV. Sweet citrus and Belgian yeast dominates the taste. Just beautiful. Simply. (603 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +13.2%

I scanned my reviews and found that I haven't reviewed many of my personal favorites. I realised that I have "go to" beers that I open when I cook certain foods or open because it's a certain time of year. Saison is my beer of Summer. It's my lawnmower beer. It's my fish beer. It's my "I just came in from an hour and a half drive in heavy traffic and I'm thirsty" beer. This beer is an old friend.
I've only seen it in a 750ml presentation with a delightfully retro label which reassures me that nothing has changed. With DuPont I rest easy that the eccentricity is still "within". I look forward to the uncaging and twisting of the cork. I know that sometimes a DuPont will look to put a dent in the ceiling causing me to offer thanks that I still have my sight. Other times it will come off in my hand and a white vapor will languidly leave the top of the bottle. The head varies from bottle to bottle. This one pours with a substantial but regular head. Lace is always irregular.

Smell is...up to others...I must say that it is so integrated into my tastes that I can't separate it. Forgive me here .I find it good. I am just a beer drinker.

The taste is the best. I love the puckery fruitiness of this beer. It has a rusty astringency that makes hot Illinois Summers a sweaty treat. It plays the straight guy to the right food and by itself it is completely satifying.

The mouthfeel is sparking and not heavy but substantial. It makes me understand why I should be grateful that this beer was made before the yeast got wild in warm weather.

This is the definition of drinkability. (1,601 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13%

A smooth and powerful blond coloured beer. Mild banana and clove in the taste. Dry and crisp with a steady sweetness and raw peppery hop notes (from dry hopping). Delicious. (173 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 11.2 bottle with no freshness date, this is not a problem though being that it is a bottle conditioned brew at 8.5% abv.

Appearance: Insane head retention leaves an incredible Brussels lace all the way down the glass, hazy hay yellow hue show this brew is in the raw.

Smell: Spicy, yeasty, fruity, lively and very aromatic at that. Rustic with hints of coriander and black pepper like phenols. What a wild nose!

Taste: Bottle conditioned smoothness is picked up right away, so sublime to the touch. Moderate body with a fluffy crispness which makes it oh so drinkable. Spicy from the hop first then the phenols and finally the spices hold the coriander out in front. Raw flavours of yeast and grain are earthy and grassy, sweetness comes in many layers of maltiness and fruitiness. Hints of apple and pear stem from the complex fruitiness. Finishes with a cloudy mélange of a rustic dryness of flavours in the beginning.

Notes: A killer Saison, the dreamy flavours nearly numbs the senses of the taste buds. A prize brew to be had and one I will make sure to have around. (1,098 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the quintessential Belgian ales. Moinette is something I would recommend to those just starting to discover Belgian beers and wondering where to start.

Poured into a Moinette goblet and the first noticeable aspect is the hazy unfiltered look, with the golden-yellow color carrying an orange tint. Head is bright white and retains well. Excellent lace formation, and even some sediment swirling around in there (made a steady, slow pour...but I'm not one to mind sediment much either).

Aromas are citrusy and floral, with hints of peppery spice.

Flavor is divine: Orange, pear, apple, banana, balanced by a white pepper nip and clove, given further depth with a subtle yeasty layering. Alcohol provides slight heat, balancing the sweeter aspects. Absolutely delicious.

Sharp zip to the carbonation, but not overbearing, actually quite creamy.

Ultra-refreshing, and with only subtle alcohol presence. Moinette has nothing but greatness to offer, and is the perfect example of why Belgian beer is held is such high regard. (1,042 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Samuel Smith glass. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a light and hazy straw color with a full two fingers worth of head that retains relatively well before slumping down to an 1/8 inch head. Frothy lacing.

S- A bit wild smelling with a classic blonde profile. A tad soapy and plenty of citrus notes, particularly fresh lemon.

T- Very bright and vibrant with lots of lemon zest and a good amount of yeast in the follow-through. Alcohol is there but in an unusually tangy way. Faint notes of spice.

M- High carbonation makes for an exciting drink that doesn't let up. Light body and a prickly feel.

O- Probably the best blonde I've ever had...sorry honey. (677 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this superb ale in my favorite 50cl glass as it poured majestically to a full head. The first taste exploded with an abundance of hard cider, hearty grains, and a dryness that lingered long after I put the ale down.

As I continued to drink this lighter ale into the evening, I noticed the hard apple cider flavor more and the comparison to the French ciders in Normandy came to mind. I would also have to mention the impressive Farnum Hill, thinking of great ciders, but hold on...this was ale.

I thought this would be great with grilled lamb or pork sausages as I could easily serve this at a back yard party this summer.

The Whole Foods Market should be commended for carrying this as well as a fantastic array of great ales. (743 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Hmmm, this appears to either have a new label, or a very old one. 11.2 fl.oz. (330ml) brown glass bottle has a cream colored label, with a dark green border. The label simply says ‘Moinette’ in dark green below the picture of the Dupont Farm. Also has the words ‘Unfiltered’ and ‘Bottle Conditioned’, as well as 8.5% alc/vol.

Appearance: A massive head quickly rises from the peachy golden body. A light haze shimmers when backlit. Plenty of fine bubble streamers, and solid conditioning levels. Thanks to the stubborn head, this has an awesome appearance, with some lovely thick Belgium lacing to boot.

Nose: Lots of peppery and spicy hops fill the air. Like a Pale Ale mixed with a Saison it benefits from the Dupont farmyard funky feel.

Taste: Lots of biting spicy hops with a strong peppery feel that sits nicely in some sharp lemon alcohol and a funky horse-blanket. All this culminates in an astringent spicy bitter finish that lingers. At first, you have to work your way through the massive head to get to this beer, but even the head tastes great on this one. Wow – it’s a while since I had this one, and I forgot just how good it is. Extremely tasty!

Mouthfeel: Beautifully balanced mouth to this marvel, the fine carbonation and sharp lemon feel add a terrific balance to the peppery hops and spices. The alcohol supports this one and makes it a very sturdy offering that can stand up to strong foods.

Drinkability: This may be 8.5%, and there is some alcohol there, but the smooth mouthfeel, and fantastic Saison-style hops, peppers, spices and funk come shining through to make this one a quaffer.

Overall: An exceptionally good “Pale Ale” that has many of the better traits from the other artisanal Dupont beers, most notably the Saison. Highly Impressive, this one should be sought out! (1,844 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer porus a cloudy golden yellow color with a very thick fluffy whaite head with a slight orange tint to it. The head fades so slowly, that I almost wonder when I will get to drink this beer. It meaves a massive amount of laces on the glass.

This beer has an earthy yeast aroma. It smells spicy. It has a pleasent citrus aroma also. It has a slight banana aroma also. Cloves are slightly present in the nose as well.

This beer tastes very much like it smells. Up front it is yeasty. A lemony citrus flavor is present along with some spicy flavors. Cloves are present.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a spicy earthy aftertaste. This beer is very crisp and refershing. This beer might be just a touch overcarbonated, but not so much that it detracts from the flavor.

I think this beer would make a great session beer. However, it is slightly high in alcohol, so too many glasses might become a slight problem. This is a very good beer. I will definately have it again. (990 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Hazy golden amber. Active carbonation. Frothy meringue-like white head with sticky lacing. Apples, moistened leather, horsebarn hay, cilantro, and a faintly sweet bready malt aroma. Dry, spicy, grassy. Saaz hops with horsey-funk and apple-fruity sweetness. Tart and bitter finish. Mouthfeel is superb -- sparkling and dry, yet juicy and quenching. Quite nice, quite nice. High marks for drinkability, but there are just so many damn-fine saisons out there, and others rank higher for me. Nonetheless, this is surely a world class representative of the style. Outstanding beer from Dupont. (588 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Tall crispy white merengue forms over honey-colored liquid. The aromas are heady and sweet, steeped in grassy herbs, butter, mashed nuts and ripe pears. I had prepared for something sweeter in taste. While this is not as astringently hopped as this brewery's famous Saison, it is quite dry. Big, broad, aerated chunks of dry biscuit flavors are seasoned with roasted yellow resins and a fleeting, white-fleshed fruitiness. Stony earthiness lingers before succumbing to finishing flavors of bitter, raw nutshells. Nicely framed bitterness. One of the driest 8.5% beers I've ever tasted. I plowed through this 750ml. Time for some scordalia. (639 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Moinette Blond

A = Poured a golden yellow with a thick foam head that slowly dissapates leaving a thin lace that stays.

S = Sweet sugary smell. Light yeasty smell is also present.

T = Sugary banana taste initally, which is then followed by a clove taste with a slightly citric dry finish.

M = Very good mouth feel. The foam head gives a creamy mouthfeel which makes drinking this beer very pleasant.

D = Very very drinkable. (439 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Huge rocky mountainous head, Waves of sheet like carbonation, Chunky lacing, unfiltered haziness, golden to yellow color. Not sure how this beer could be more inviting.

Some sweet cloying effect rolls out of this saison. Farmhouse funkiness is ever present and forms a nice mix. Definately sweeter than the majority of the style. It doesn't get to the point of being too lopsided, infact there is an interesting hop zing and dryness that keeps this pup in check. Long spicey aftertaste is tasty.

Like the label states on the back, its a bit fuller and sweeter than its cousin beer (which I assume means the Dupont). This works well and would be a great beer with some good grub. (684 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%

Don't have too much time to review, but I definitely wanted to get this on here as I am LOVING this beer.

A- Pretty, golden almost peach color with a bit of cloudiness to it.

S- The smell was wonderful and full and a bit flowery.

T- Exceptional. Full bodied, balanced and has a nice transition from the fruity and flowery front to a hoppy finish.

M- The mouthfeel is also pretty darn good and just the right viscosity, and lingers a bit.

D- I don't think I could have more than one bottle as it seems like it would cheapen it, but just that amount seems perfect to appreciate. Has a bit of "oomph" to it with the abv% and definitely continues to have fun with my taste buds even as it warms up. Enjoy! (706 characters)

Moinette Blond from Brasserie Dupont sprl