Moinette Blond - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Moinette BlondMoinette Blond

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moinette Blond Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Hazy golden-orange color with a thick, chunky off-white head. The aroma is hebal and floral, spicy, peppery and somewhat honeyish. A very nice aroma. The flavor is yeasty and spicy, with an herbal, phenolic taste. Very drying and somewhat alcoholic. It is medium-full in body. A very good brew.

BeerBuilder, Jan 09, 2005
4.2/5  rDev 0%

On tap at Monk's, this beer is served in a tulip. Its body has a peach-golden color, and a tight head of an inch has average retention. Active carbonation. The initial smells are of spicy phenols; pepper and sharp citrus or corriander. Below these lingers a muted funk smell, somewhat moldy, somewhat lactic. The taste is very clean. It first hits with a dry sweetness and some sharp sour citrus notes of lemon, maybe ginger. These quickly back off as the spiciness shows. Finally, the taste and aroma of hops wrap the ending together and give a long satisfying aftertaste. The sweet/sour/spicy/hoppy combination is wonderfully complex and quite enjoyable. Easy to drink, easy to love. A great beer from DuPont.

99bottles, Dec 20, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

bottle-conditioned. date code on label 04058B/4.

Slightly hazy gold under a huge, densely creamy meringue. While the head remains, it lifts up a sweet fresh-cut hay scent. As it dies down to curds and finally the barest glaze, more of a slightly funky herbal sweetness arises.

A hint of funk seasons the lively tangy fizz. There develops maybe a suggestion of sage or is it pepper, then of bitter seville marmalade, growing more bitter amid a lingering sweet resin and still the finish shifts and lingers as the pepper definitely comes back. Eventually that too fades but surprise! a grapefruit juiciness swells and I definitely taste grapefruit on my lips. Return to Go collect $200.

I could easily drink a lot more of the bottle than I should in one go...

gentlebubbles, Nov 26, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -4%

750mL: Shining golden hue, dense Dupont style white head with gorgeous lacing. Big yeast clouds float around the glass. Delectable pilsner malt nose with honey tones. Crisp cookie reminiscent toasty and floral flavours. Rather complex if not demarcative. Creamy and fluffy mouthfeel, not quite bubbly though. Sweet mouth entrance is accompanied by a white peppery yeast atmosphere. This pilsner malt puts the crisp in crispy, saazy finish provides a good bitterness with a bit more ironoxide than I’d like. Characterful, herbal, Dupont quality mark.

Rastacouere, Nov 09, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

I really liked this beer, I just don't have a lot to say about it. Like all DuPont beers, it's well made, enjoyable and well respected by me. Beyond that, what to say?

Blond, withy a poofy, fizzy white head. Hazy...

Nose is is tart, and spicy, juniper maybe, white pepper, some corriander seed perhaps.

A rich powdery sweetness exists in the body, mixing and contrasting nicely with the lemoney, dirty tartness. Definite junpier spice now. Yeasty pour is better rounded and slightly earthier with the spices tamed slightly. Finish is dry and spicy.

Lovely, I mean it.

nogoodreason, Nov 01, 2004

Creamy easy drink. Some barnyard-like yeast there but easier smoother drink than their Saisons. Satisfying. Pure Belgium, with apricot and lemon, medium mouthfeel. Nice blond white and lacing. Peppery, not too sour nor sweet, more malty and vanilla, some nutmeg. perhaps shelved long?

Sammy, Sep 26, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Bright lemon-orange body, abundant carbonation, and large frothy white head. Nice, fresh yeasty aroma of bread, esters, and apples. Crisp and tangy with significant bitterness in the finish. Alcohol taste is apparent. A nice, interesting Belgian Strong Pale.

Doppel07, Sep 10, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very hazy gold with an enormous creamy ivory head, even from a gentle pour. Head is thick and lacy as hell. Smell is yeasty and very fruity. Muscat grapes and hints of chardonnay. Very winey nose. Light spiciness, cloves and/or cinnamon.

Damn this beer has a bite to it! Dry and bittersweet fruitiness. Alcohol flavors. A strident bitterness but not form hops as far as I can tell. Can't put my finger on that taste but it dominates the palate. Almost like Campari? Juniper berries? Spicy clove in there. taste is nothing like the smell. Amazing complexity. Bitter and smooth. Sweet in the nose and dry on the tongue. really excellent. Could have stood to be aged and I really wasn't expecting that from this brew. Lingering dry btterness stays around forever.Been wanting to try this for awhile and it has definitely peaked my interest to go back for more.

ViveLaChouffe, Aug 05, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

I scanned my reviews and found that I haven't reviewed many of my personal favorites. I realised that I have "go to" beers that I open when I cook certain foods or open because it's a certain time of year. Saison is my beer of Summer. It's my lawnmower beer. It's my fish beer. It's my "I just came in from an hour and a half drive in heavy traffic and I'm thirsty" beer. This beer is an old friend.
I've only seen it in a 750ml presentation with a delightfully retro label which reassures me that nothing has changed. With DuPont I rest easy that the eccentricity is still "within". I look forward to the uncaging and twisting of the cork. I know that sometimes a DuPont will look to put a dent in the ceiling causing me to offer thanks that I still have my sight. Other times it will come off in my hand and a white vapor will languidly leave the top of the bottle. The head varies from bottle to bottle. This one pours with a substantial but regular head. Lace is always irregular.

Smell is...up to others...I must say that it is so integrated into my tastes that I can't separate it. Forgive me here .I find it good. I am just a beer drinker.

The taste is the best. I love the puckery fruitiness of this beer. It has a rusty astringency that makes hot Illinois Summers a sweaty treat. It plays the straight guy to the right food and by itself it is completely satifying.

The mouthfeel is sparking and not heavy but substantial. It makes me understand why I should be grateful that this beer was made before the yeast got wild in warm weather.

This is the definition of drinkability.

faernt, Jul 11, 2004

Cork date 2003, Sampled July 2004
Pours a very clear gold color. It is well carbonated and the bubbles that dance through my beer support a thick off-white head. The nose is spicy and aromatic with notes of grass, grain, alcohol, lemon, and coriander. The taste is lightly sweet up front, and is followed by a sharp astringency and a bitterness in the finish. This beer is medium-light on the palate. There is some spiciness her, though it is not as complex as the Saison Dupont. My tongue picks up a certain lemony acidity that makes this beer quite refreshing. There is a nice fruity yeast character, and some simple straight-forward malted grain notes. This beer picks up more sweetness in the finish as it warms up and loses its carbonation. Overall this is quite a tasty brew, though I must admit that I prefer the Saison Dupont.

Gueuzedude, Jul 11, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

From a 750 ml caged and corked bottle, it's a vibrant gold with an immense white head that ends up looking like the top of a laundry load. The smell is nicely fruity, most noticeably apricot. Just a bit of bitterness balances the dry fruitiness. The taste of Belgian yeast is comforting, especially near the end of the bottle. The mouthfeel is nice, and it goes down well for an 8.5% beer.

mickeymac, Jun 14, 2004

Very creamy head on a nice hazy orange color body with some glittering reflects. The smell is nice, yeasty, highly citric, with some peaches, maybe some anice cookies. Grassy apple juice and figs. The taste is sweet and strong apple cider, with hints of sourness. Alcohol is fairly noticeable. Very full and round mouthfeel. Strong and enjoyable.

tjd25, Jun 12, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Pure wonderment. I had this beer for the first time at the Hopleaf with Drewbage when he was in Chicago. I really enjoyed it then, so I bought a few bottles for home.

The beer pours a hazy golden color with a big rocky white head. What more could you ask for?!?!

The smell is a hoppy, floral, herbal concoction with fresh bread and pepper mixed in. Wow! Slightly skunky as well, but I like that.

Each sip of this beer makes me want another. It tastes like Spring to me. Wonderously crisp, hoppy, and herbal with a slight spicey floral character. It really tastes like Spring feels to me. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. I love the way this feels.

I could open one after another of these incredible beers!

silenius, May 12, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

After pouring carefully, take a few minutes to bask in the gorgeous golden glow of this glorious beer. The thick head gradually dissipates leaving a permanent film over the hazy beer and lovingly laces the glass. The room fills with a fresh, floral aroma. The first taste is so... complex. Malts, hops, and spices all distinct yet experienced simultaneously. Alcohol is present, but welcome. This beer pairs well with patience. Be sure to drink with enough time to truly appreciate all this wonderful brew has to offer.

Varkias41, May 07, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -4%

11.2oz bottle with rust around the crown but when I pop the cap let's out a big gasp of carbonation, so I think it was sealed properly. Either way got the bottle on the discount shelf at D's sixpack for 1.99 not bad, eh? Appearance: Huge four fingers worth of white froth bubbly white head leaves fine evenly patterend Belgian style lace, the body glows a golden amber blonde tone very nice. Aroma: Tart apples grassy semi sweet notes mild alcohol phenols some slight funky musty notes and seems cidery in nature. Taste: This is the questionable aspect big musty horse blanket notes sediment layers lie in the bottom of the glass tart apple notes funky yeast pale sweet malt tone hoppy finish for a Belgian not bad. Mouthfeel: Medium body fine bubbly champagne like carbonation. Drinkability: I could definitely partake in this brew again preferrably a bigger bottle, oh yeah.

WVbeergeek, Apr 16, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

750ml "Moinette Belgian Ale" version (with the green and white label, not the "Moinette II" label).

Head is huge and even, but with a very uneven, slow collapse. The beer is almost clear, gold, with an orange tinge and a dark yeast pour. Lacing is sticky, but not copious. Wow... some major schpoonck on the cork pop. Citrus, spice and some sugar. Bananas in the front with alcohol and spice. Foamy, smooth mouth in the sweetish, fruity middle. A little butter. Finishes nice and bitter, dry wine-like, alcohol and tangy fruit. This seems to be apples as I reflect. There's a very bitter/sour aftertaste that's almost overwhelming, and certainly distracting. The alcohol is not all that well hidden, though it tames with temperature.

kbub6f, Apr 11, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

I tried this the other day at my friend Dave's house from a fresh 750ml green glass bottle. I had loved the Moinette Rouge/Bruin that we had on tap at the Bier Circus in Brussels, so I thought that this would be good too...and it is. A slightly cloudy golden brew with a nice cap of white foam that lasts and provides excellent lacing. The aromas are of spicy (slightly skunked) herbal/medicinal hops, belgian candy sugar, yeast, and some nice light biscuit-like malts. The taste is suprisingly hoppy for a Belgian, with the interesting herbal/medicinal hopping running the show. The middle reveals the nice biscuity malt flavors, and in the finish, the hops reappear. The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and full-bodied and the drinkability is very good for a stronger beer (8.5%abv). Recommended!

francisweizen, Apr 05, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

750 ml bottle. Pours a hazy golden peachy hue with a big off white head. Spicy green apple aroma mixed withe the barnyard funk you'd expect from a unfiltered Farmhouse-style. Sweet initially on the palate moving towards a drier, fruitier finish at the end. A bit peppery and spritzy the whole way troughout the experience. Very good stuff.

crookedhalo, Mar 10, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Hmmm, this appears to either have a new label, or a very old one. 11.2 fl.oz. (330ml) brown glass bottle has a cream colored label, with a dark green border. The label simply says ‘Moinette’ in dark green below the picture of the Dupont Farm. Also has the words ‘Unfiltered’ and ‘Bottle Conditioned’, as well as 8.5% alc/vol.

Appearance: A massive head quickly rises from the peachy golden body. A light haze shimmers when backlit. Plenty of fine bubble streamers, and solid conditioning levels. Thanks to the stubborn head, this has an awesome appearance, with some lovely thick Belgium lacing to boot.

Nose: Lots of peppery and spicy hops fill the air. Like a Pale Ale mixed with a Saison it benefits from the Dupont farmyard funky feel.

Taste: Lots of biting spicy hops with a strong peppery feel that sits nicely in some sharp lemon alcohol and a funky horse-blanket. All this culminates in an astringent spicy bitter finish that lingers. At first, you have to work your way through the massive head to get to this beer, but even the head tastes great on this one. Wow – it’s a while since I had this one, and I forgot just how good it is. Extremely tasty!

Mouthfeel: Beautifully balanced mouth to this marvel, the fine carbonation and sharp lemon feel add a terrific balance to the peppery hops and spices. The alcohol supports this one and makes it a very sturdy offering that can stand up to strong foods.

Drinkability: This may be 8.5%, and there is some alcohol there, but the smooth mouthfeel, and fantastic Saison-style hops, peppers, spices and funk come shining through to make this one a quaffer.

Overall: An exceptionally good “Pale Ale” that has many of the better traits from the other artisanal Dupont beers, most notably the Saison. Highly Impressive, this one should be sought out!

TheLongBeachBum, Mar 09, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a light clear golden color with a MASSIVE head. This bottle was a gusher for some reason. I warmed this bottle up for a bit and when I popped the top, it just came out non-stop for nearly a minute. Still after it calmed down and I poured it, the head was unbelievable. The aroma consists of a strong sweet yeasty smell with fruit, spices, and hops in the mix as well. The head is still there and has barely dissipated. The taste starts with a light yeast, very pronounced spicing that is rises above all the other characteristics, somewhere in there is some fruitiness and tapers into a warming alcohol. This is a light to medium bodied beer that finishes slightly sweet and again very spicy. I have mixed feelings about this beer as I feel the spicing is a bit over-the-top, but I can't help but be attracted to it. Op uw gezonheid!

BeerAngel, Mar 04, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Very similar to the Saison yet more golden than glowing orange in color-lots of yeast bits about. Super rocky in the head dept.-like the Saison, and the head stays throughout the journey as does a nice clumpy stick. Very hoppy, in a spicy, citrusy way both in the aroma and flavor. Snappy and somewhat peppery, this beer is highly refreshing and very drinkable. All this while the beer exhibits a definate sweet malt component that is hidden way in the backgroud, just as the abv is hidden. I think of this as a Saison at Mach speed.

moulefrite, Feb 11, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -17.9%

A golden color with light effervescence, some chill haze, and a white head. The head retention is low, but it has a nice fine bubbly lace. Aroma is tart and citrusy with a sweet background. Taste is of herbs, peppery and tart. A sweet start with a sharp bite. Mouthfeel is well rounded -- Smooth and effervescent.
Better balanced than some other Saisons I have tried. Still not my cup of beer. Too much bite and not enough charcter to back it up.

SeanChouffe, Feb 01, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a lighter golden color with a huge fluffy/sticky head,aroma was spicey and citruisy and lightly grassy.The taste is lemony with some pepper notes some yeastiness in there as well,very refreshing tasting.For the alcohol content this is very easy to drink,I really like this beer I have to say.

oberon, Jan 31, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

The label simply states “Moinette.” After help from yen157 it was concluded that this is the same beer as what is listed on BA. Here is my review:

Hazy, peachy-honey hue with pale yellow highlights deeply interwoven, the head was awesome in stature, a massive three fingers in height, bright white in color, the head was accomplished on a pour that was very soft. This is a magnificent looking beverage, liquid eye-candy. There was excellent head retention; some of it lasted for the whole consumption. It laced in sheets as I quaffed. The aromas are peppery and acidic with earthiness lying underneath, whiffs of bubblegum and marshmallows too. Mild potency. The palate is complex, period. Soft earthy/horse-blanket qualities with pepper, bubblegum, and marshmallows, it is very soft in texture, hay, hints of sharp sweetness and cutting sourness that is balanced and subtle. Sneaky alcohol strength, it is scarcely noticeable on the tongue. Amazing! Medium-light in body with modest carbonation that induces a very pleasant mouthfeel, it is as soft as a pillow. This is a terrific Saison! I must get more. Recommended.

I paid $4.50 an 11.2 oz bottle in Omaha.

bditty187, Jan 19, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +9%

Blonde-orange color with a meringue-like head that imparts huge rings of lace down the glass. Truly a sight to behold. Nose is spicy and herbal with notes of earthy hops, pear and green apples. A melon aroma even appears as the brew warms. Taste is a magnificent melding of herbal earthiness, ripe pear, vaguely tart apple, honey, and a minor hop twang on the finish. Full-bodied and palate-coating, the mouthfeel is effervescent yet subdued. Truly artisanal as the 8.5% abv is never really an issue. Drinks incredibly easily. Certainly one of Dupont's top offerings.

Jon, Aug 31, 2003