Avec Les Bons Voeux - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Avec Les Bons VoeuxAvec Les Bons Voeux

good

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avec Les Bons Voeux Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,215 | Reviews: 590
4.87/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Big orange and yellow almost banana like edges on the side of the glass. Slightly opaque, but a huge roaring column of carbonation on the middle. Huge frothy and I mean frothy growing head with a thick creamed off white cap, almost vanilla crème color, with an island puck. Sides repopulate with rising carbonation on the side to make white bubbles as they hit the ring top. Pretty much a textbook saison folks, and Belgian looking greatness.

Kapow on the bouquet. Huge farmhouse notes, with a real dry sense. Hints of cream sweetness but with a big funk and huge amounts of earth and dirt fresh soil. Some faint even surprising hints of peach fruit. The sweet character is very surprising if a bit unexpected, but this is just all over the place and impressive as hell.

Palate just pushes all the right buttons. Big contrast on the palate of juicy fruit quality and a large funk and earth dryness. Mouthfeel somehow manages a crisp intense dryness, but a thick coating malt body with creamy sweetness. Thick notes of peach and apricot fruit sweetness. Crisp and dry mellow wild and dry yeast qualities, that balance the palate perfectly. Hints of mellow sucrose, almost giving it a big wine riesling sweet fruit character.

Why in the hell have I put off trying this beer for so dam long? Just fantastic stuff.!

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

2005.

It pours a blurred goldenrod stacked with a slowly melting wall of ivory.

The nose presents first as smallish, and possibly narrow, then the initial inhalations are belied by a deepened and kaleidoscopic array of herbs, and various dried things, as it exudes hay bales, tarragon, bay leaves, dandelions, dried peaches, sawdust, cement, oatmeal, vanilla, and a perfumed white vinousness roughly akin to Gewürztraminer.
It should be noted that this needs to approach room temperature for the aroma to come out fully.

Across the tongue, it sticks true to its dry motif. Hay, weeds, and bleached grains scrape by first. It leaves the door ajar just enough so that a faint sweetness can eke out a place, with orange and lemon rinds and wildflower honey. But dry this remains and ever will. Yeast settles in early and throws about hallucinatory overtures of sandalwood, vanilla pod, tarragon, thyme, cobwebbed basements, uric acid, hazelnuts, and multi-colored peppercorns. Alcohol-associated flavors are virtually shut out of the flavor, though it carries through with that perfumed, anise- and spice-laden Gewürztraminer wine suggestion from the nose. The hops wash away a microsecond of heat with their fresh bay leaves, snapped long grasses, continued pepper hues, and a lingering weedy pulp.
The body is a literal down pillow of cottony mouthfeel and supple carbonation to allow a 9.5% ABV beer such as this to melt in the mouth like so much cotton candy. That's a tired cliché, I know, but it's as applicable here as anywhere. Honestly, this barely materializes as 6%, and its feel and structure is to credit..or to blame tomorrow.
Drinkability is only a consideration when one still has the capacity to judge what needs to be accomplished the following day. And this compromises moderation with haste. Once that goes, it tends toward the infinite...and the comatose.

A huge suggestion is to let this warm well beyond fridge temps, because the warmer this gets, the deeper it goes. I feel like I only scratched the surface.

When and if you find it, buy it all....every last one
It's a mind-shatterer.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

I just tapped a keg of this rarity about two hours ago, and something struck me right off, a thing happened that is most uncommon: a beer took my breath away.

Looks majestic poured into a St. Bernardus goblet, lush creamy head, hazy pale orange appearance, ...angelic.

Aroma, captivating, airy, light citrus, minor sour tones, vibrant fruit, apricot, peach, lemon, gets bolder by the minute, unfolds tangy-er fruit notes, ...uplifting.
But it's in the taste where I was taken back, and I still don't know if I have language for it, but let us make a valiant effort, anyway.

Fruit floods the mouth, but the body is exceptionally light, almost ethereal...it paints a coating of delicious around the mouth that pulls away like a phantom, the echo of this gorgeous fruit flavor, plump with yeast, lingers, resonates, titillates, entices...another sip is in the offing, but it becomes a gulp, and the swallow is urgent, but the effect is the opposite, a magnificent restfulness overcomes me, a mellow rapture,... it stirs the mind and soul, and quenches thirst along the way.

Each new sip delivers a similar shock, a brand new spank to the senses, a reacquaintance with this magical feeling.

Body is light, but the flavor is powerful and pure, and the finish is long, fruity, perfectly smooth. I laugh at the 9.5% but feel it creeping in as I drain the glass.
Hey, maybe it's just the mood I'm in, but this glass of beer has an absolutely elevating effect. The strength eventually enters into the flavor like a wily snake through a grassy field....lightly spicy, too, to match the fruit...call me a sucker if you must, but I feel my soul has been cracked open, freed and sent aloft, metamorphosized, like hearing new beautiful music for the first time, have a soft spot touched and felt that shiver...

Amazing beer. Not good, not great, amazing! Utterly lovely.
A great gift from Dupont. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Excellent and very impressive! This saison pours a nice light orange colour with a fluffy, white head. The aromas are all zesty hops, farm, horse blanket, must, yeast, and spice! The taste is a spicy hop bomb, with the alcohol and malt flavors nicely tucked into the fresh tasting mix. The mouthfeel is light and airy, yet still full. The drinkability is off of the map!

The regular Saison Dupont beer is great, but this stuff is inspiring.

please take note, that this is a limited edition seasonal beer, released in the winter, by the Dupont brewery. The sample just reviewd was from the 2001 batch! If you find this stuff, it should be around $10 a bottle...

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

The beer was picked up from Green's in a green bomber with a cork and wire cage. The vintage 05 was visible on the side of the cork before opening. The thud heard while uncorking was resoundingly solid, and the body poured out pale golden, clear, and well carbonated, and formed a head that built up above the rim of the glass. It was very Duvel-esque in its looks, which is almost always a sign of good times ahead. The carbonation never ceased during the entire drinking session. And the lacing had to be seen to be believed.

The aroma was yeasty and spicy, and had hints of lemon peel and hay. These smells are usually associated with mild smelling beers, but this one was as aromatic as a West Coast IPA. The taste was bone dry and refreshing due to the tart and spicy flavors floating atop ethanol. Very delicately balanced, yet quite bold, this was a superlative ale in its primacy. The mouthfeel was light and ephemeral, and the aftertaste peppery and tantalizing. If there was any fault to be found here, it was in the highly spicy character throughout, which might not appeal to everyone. But as you might have figured out by now, spiciness increased the appeal of this beer to me.

A very contemplative, and evocative drink that was a rare find not in availability, but in quality. Seek it and enjoy the best wishes of the brewer, they mean it.

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

For what it's worth there is a Roman numeral "III" at the top of the front label. Batch #? The cork bore the numerals "2.0.0.2."
This stormy yellow liquid offers remarkably savory aromas of buttered sourdough in addition to ample amounts of vanilla, dried bananas, nutmeg and whole cream.
On the palate its broad, rich texture renders impressions of tangy nectarine fruit, blended, raw nuts, honey, sage, and stones. Intense mineral extracts define and shape the long finish, leaving clean, austere bitterness below and pungent, tropical, floral notes on top - all joined by dry, herbal resins.
Sweet enough that the fruit flies like it too. A fruity, stone-flavored ale.

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

A: Light copper golden. Nice fluffy head. Decent lacing.

S: Bread, Lemons and Spice. Slight alcohol.

T: Oranges and Bread, some funk. Slight warming from alcohol.

M: Smooth and fluffy. Medium carbonation.

O: Good beer. The standard in my opinion for the saison style.

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

I picked this '06 version up at Knightly Spirits in Orlando...a must visit if you are in the area. I would save this beer and review it later, but I am on my motorcycle at Bike Week right now and damn-it...I need some room in my saddle bags. Oh well...here we go.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy orangish golden color with a steady cascade of bubbles rising to the top, but the head is a small and consistent 1/4" of white foam. Even five minutes later the bubbles are still rising to the top, and the head may have actually gotten a bit bigger in that time.

Aroma: My first impression of the flavor was really bready and citrus like, but it gets more earthy really quickly. I get tons of fruit, and there is something in there that is unmistakable...but I can't put my finger on it. It reminds me a bit of the way a packet of Smarties sweet tarts smells with the dry and almost powdery impression yet with a bunch of fruit mixed up. The aroma is really complex on this beer. It almost takes on a bit of wet hay as the beer warms up to room temperature.

Taste: The flavor is also really complex and has many layers. I get a defined spiciness in this beer that I didn't pick up in the nose. The breadyness is also really defined in this one. It does give an impression of lemon cookies with a bit of a spicy bite. I really don't pick up the 9.5% ABV in this one, but I am sure that it will be apparent after I get through this bottle. I pick up the spiciness and a little bit of warming in the belly...but no warmth in the throat.

Opinion: All I can say is WOW! This beer is no doubt the best Saison I have ever tasted. There are so many dimensions to this beer that I am sure that if I sat here for the next two hours (I can't because checkout time is in about 1 hour) and drank it, that I would be able to pick out something every time I took a sip. I would love to be able to make a beer this complex, and I think that I am now inspired to try. I wouldn't say that this beer pushed me over the edge to where a Saison is my beer of choice over a Tripel, but this one is really good.

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled in 2008 and this beer held up extremely well. A bit of sediment and opened with a huge 'pop' but decanted clear. Great taste. Full. Amazing amount of brett noticeable. Some heat but very well attenuated. It's an experience to drink the beer at the brewery (with the toilets in the back by the cows) but you can always find perfect examples of the beer in bottles too!!

2004

At 9.5%, this is the strongest of Brasserie Dupont’s lineup. And I’ve got a whole 750 ml all to myself. Poor me. (Or is that, “pour me!”)

Crisp pop upon opening!

Cloudy, orangeish peach in appearance with a swirling eddy of carbonation and a thick off-white head.

Grassy, slightly lemony aroma. Invigorating and refreshing!

The malt body is understated and at first serves merely as a stage for a slightly spicy, herbal, floral hop presence. Slightly peppery at the finish. Tartness is minimum. Malt develops a slightly chewy, doughy character as the beer warms. Exquisitely balanced. God, how the hell is 9.5%? You’ll feel it long before you taste it (though the alcohol flavor does spark up a bit as the beer sits).

Lovely, well carbonated but substantial mouthfeel

Yeast pour adds a hint of farmhouse funk to the aroma and an easy depth to the flavor.

What a great beer!

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a very cloudy golden orange with dark yeast particulate and a huge slightly off-white head.

What a great smelling beer. Tons of great yeasty esters with some fruity notes and a bit of cinnamon.

Very nice mouthfeel after the carbonation subsides. It was a bit overwhelming at first but after a minute or two it is less aggressive.

I could drink a few of these 750's all by myself. There is so much going on that I keep finding different nuances with each sip. Beautiful esters hinting at pear and Macintosh apple. This is quickly washed over by spices of cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg. All of which is balanced by a nice sweetness that is far from cloying. My favorite part is the horse blanket funkiness from the yeast and the nice warming alcohol. The alcohol certainly does not detract from the experience but it can definitely be accounted for.

Why bother with champagne when you can drink this? One of my ultimate favorites.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Woweee! Talk about luck! Last night got to try this as both a one and two year old version. First, the one year: Nice fine, creamy, off white head and a ton of lace. Color is a cloudy/opaque amber. Aroma is spicey, malty, citrus, yeast and a touch earthy. Flavor is way different! Lots of caramel and toffee sweetness. Has great body and carbonation. Citrus comes out at the end, but is balanced with the sweetness and bitterness. Really excellent beer.

Two year old: like the one year, but less sweet, smoother, and more balanced.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

You absolutely know you have poured a quality beer when you find yourself forming the massive downy head into recreations of classic Greek sculpture with your tongue. Lose yourself for awhile in fascinating aromas of lavender, citrus orchards in full bloom, honey drizzled crepes and 12th century stone structures. This is the reason we drink, for playful contrasts of sweet mercurial grain and fields of bitter, bracing grass and lively alcohol with no heat. This is the reason we drink, for heady experience.

What magic has touched this liquid to make it so near perfect? Is this proof that the artisan's hand is more powerful than the chemist's figuring, the devotion to time and place more potent than industrial consistency?

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured on draft at HOPS Culture in Aspen, CO into an 8oz snifter.

Visual: Dandelion yellow, with a thin bit of lacing remaining after the head dissipates

Nose: Subtle, but smells like it looks, of dandelions, straw and herbs

Palate: Rich for a Saison. Lemon curd, ripe yellow peach and mushroom hit up front, followed by a pleasant, herbal hop bitterness and a chalky minerality that is almost astringent. Finish is loooooong.

Overall, this is one of the better Saisons I have had in a while, and a beer that I look forward to coming out every winter. It is definitely a bigger, unusual version of a Saison, no doubt, but given such complexity and length, one can't help but love it.

Bravo Dupont, bravo.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a Belgian tulip.

The most explosive cork I've ever seen hit the ceiling and ricocheted across the kitchen on opening this monster. The pour yields a two inch head, slow to fall. It leaves thick lacing as it does, too. It's quite rocky, and the color of butter pecan ice cream. Color is a very slightly hazy golend yellow, with very active carbonation. Nose is of sour apples, cut grass, sugar, and diacetyl. First sip yields spicy floral hops with nice bitterness, which moves through sugar and sour apples to a warming, somewhat dry finish. Aftertaste is full of nice grain flavor, very malty. Pouring in the yeast of course mellows the flavor, and makes the beer near opaque.Mouthfeel is medium-light, but with very high tingly carbonation. Marvelously warming in the belly. This is a marvelous saison, my new favorite in the style. Pairs excellently with spicy food, as well.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

One of my favorites and oh so hard to get!

I brought back this 2003 bottling from Belgium. It was one of the three beers I was determined to find when over there.

Poured into a Duvel tulip it shows a hazed golden orange color with a BIG foamy yellow-tinged white head that laces the glass rather nicely.

Smell is complex with may esters and phenols. I get spices and cloves, banana and minty lime, lemon cream and pepper, dark caramel and figs. Wow! More like a tripel with a pepper spice kick than a Strong Pale Ale.

Taste is Dupont product for sure. I get that green hoppy skunk bite (in a pleasant way) with honeyed bananas, white pepper, figs, and who knows what light spices (even though the bottle says there are none in it - must be the yeast). Truly amazing.

Mouthfeel is the best bar none. It is so creamy that it almost feels more like a mousse than liquid.

Extraordinarily drinkable until I fall on the floor from too many!

Version 2.007

Using a massive Burgundy wine glass this pours a dirty orange with tonnes of floaters and a strong, tough white head that persists all the way down.

Complexity in a glass: spices of ginger and pepper, fruits of bananas and mouldy white stone fruit, a strong herbaceous edge and a faint whiff of funky socks and sweet Belgian stench. Oh boy - complex, deep and brooding - Maybe the best beer I have ever stuck my nose in.

Palate is representative of the nose - spicy & racy with a wonderful sweet n' sour edge. Bananas, citrus and honey. Great flavours, great edginess but oh so pleasant. Hides the 9.5% abv perfectly.

Mouth feel is A1. Creamy, full, luscious, acidic, tart, so well balanced!!! So superb. Insert comment about drinking this and cows coming home.

Words will not do this beer justice. In my eyes, this is almost as good as it gets (I say "almost" because one never knows). It is like a beautiful mixture of wine and beer all wrapped up in a perfectly balanced brew. I found myself asking my house mate if he was sober enough to go back to the beer store to get more! God bless the people that made this. And at only $14 a 750 (are you f'ing kidding me!!! here is oz?) it is a steal.

Rumour has it that this ages well...worth it? we will see! Fantastic stuff.

2008 vintage

A: hazy copper orange, frothy head, nice lacing
S: bright citrus fruit, yeasty, sweet, a little funk
T: similar to smell, citrus fruit farmhouse funk and a dry finish.
D: The 9.5 ABV is well hidden. I could easily drink the entire bottle and not even realize it. Feels velvety in the mouth and goes down incredibly smooth.

2004 edition.

Pours a cloudy dark yellow with a big foamy head that holds well and leaves a moderate amount of lace in my chalice.

Smell is incredible. It's got a yeasty funk in it, to be sure, but there are way too many fruits to count in there: crisp apple and pear, some peachiness, hints of lemon, orange, and tangerine to go with a light coriander and honey smell. Quite good.

Flavor is quite fruity with the citrus coming to the fore....lots of lemon and orange, but also good doses of apple, yeast, pear, and a sharp tartness that really makes things dance on the tongue. The alcohol is well hidden, but kind of peaks out as it warms through the dry finish.

The mouthfeel is incredibly light and just perfect....it feels like my tongue is doing a little dance with the beer. Combined with the fruity tartness of the flavor, this is quite an effect.

If this is 9.5%, it's the most drinkable beer I've ever had. The alcohol barely, and I mean barely, comes through in the finish. It's incredible.

Overall: Quite a nice saison. Just exquisitely crafted and extremely delicate for its heft. I'm really glad I found this one.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

01/15/14 From bottle at Rattle n Hum, NYC. I Love This Beer!!!. The mystery is how it is so aromatic...almost perfumy...but the flavors are all so subtle. Seductive. Typical yeast-up-front Belgian character with a truly refined touch. I Love This Beer!!!

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Oh, Avec, how I look forward to thee each year...This is one of my favorite beers; it lets me know that the year is almost over, and that strong crazy beers are just around the corner.
Pours a thick hazy gold with a gigantic white head, smells of grapes, sweet malt and rustic spices. Avec is one of the most complex tasting beers out there. Starts like wild honey, and stirs into a spicy, fruity and balanced mass with a nearly undetectable 9.5% abv. Has a creamy solid mouthfeel and is crisp and semi sweet in the finish but nothing cloying or syrupy. One of the best out there!

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Pale, golden-yellow color, with a decent head, which leaves a fine, long staying lacing.

Aromas are of an interesting melange, containing wheat, straw, yeast and tart Brettanomyces, also hints of pepper, spices and lemon zest are recognizable.

Taste reveals an unbelievable smooth mouthfeel, due to a huge amount of Belgian yeast, which puts a pillow on the palate. On top of that, warm stingy spices amongst black pepper build up a fascinating complexity, which results in a medium dry finish, with subtle vanilla notes. Very easy to drink, alcohol is present at no point at all, very intriguing, well balanced beer. Bretts among metallic, lively carbonation are responsible for a supporting sour- and dryness, which underlines the slick. spicy yeast impression just perfect. As I am drinking a young bottle, bretts are recognizable only for a short period of time, mingled together with copper flavor. When those leave the palate, dough malts and supersmooth mouthfeel do become even more present.

Photo of
4.74/5  rDev +13.7%

750ml bottle.

Hazy, dull orange liquid. Large, rocky, white colored head. Appearance doesn't do much for me.

Things rapidly improve as I inhale. Belgian barnyard present, but not very strong. Lemony-citrus scent. Candi sugar. Spices, maybe coriander. Grass/herbal notes.

They improve more with the first sip! Nicely bitter - lemon - which lingers well into the aftertaste. Alcohol/phenol taste. Candi sugar deep & buried, but picks up with the temperature. Tastes more like honey as it warms. Clove and pepper. Grass. This beer is way too complex for me to describe properly.

Medium bodied, with high carbonation - they work well together. Quite dry. Alcohol warming kicks in nice & quick.

A very complex saison. Bitter/citrus more than sweet. I will definately look forward to having another.

4.73/5  rDev +13.4%

3/4 Liter bottle received from dnrobert24 and 2MBBIF.

I get a loud pop and a healthy amount of carbonation from the cork upon opening. Cork has 2005 on it as the bottling year.

Poured in to my Duvel Tulip I get a peachy golden colored beer with a trace of chill hazing. Powerful and voluminous white head almost is too much for my glass. Absolutely perfect looks for a Saison.

Smell is strong almost like a lovely flowers and spices perfume. Strong flowers combine with an intense spicy aroma. Strong coriander and black pepper aroma accents a very floral Saison.

Taste is quite dry and very floral and spicy that is my first impression. Hops are not at all hidden here and show themselves as a stiff drying bitterness in the aftertaste. Strongly warming in the chest but not the mouth, you will not be drinking two bottles of this by yourself. Flavor is all flowers and hay with coriander and black pepper. A very well executed beer that nails the style perfectly.

Mouthfeel is full crisp and drying, only thing left behind is a taste of flowers.

I always worry when I give a beer very high marks as to whether my sense of taste might be out of whack but not with this one. Pretty much a perfect Saison, throw away all that champagne and serve this for special occasions. Only possible flaw here is that the alcohol level won't let you drink a lot of it at once.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

This is always a personal favorite this time of year. Saison Dupont pairs well with just about all food, so can be said of this which is why it's easy to show up with a bottle or 2 no matter what the occasion.

It has a straw yellow cloudy color with a prominent head. Orange zest, lemon and coriander dominant the smell. The taste is crisp with slight sweetness, the flavors being funky - some wheat, lemon and clove. Very refreshing with a slight creaminess, even.

Very tasty, grab some this time of year while they last.

Avec Les Bons Voeux from Brasserie Dupont sprl