Avec Les Bons Voeux - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Avec Les Bons VoeuxAvec Les Bons Voeux

good

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avec Les Bons Voeux Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

750ml bottle obtained via trade with bigbeerdrinka. Thanks for the opportunity... Corked and caged presentation, 2004 vintage according to the cork.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 2+" eggshell head over the effervescent golden brew. Head keeps growing and growing, due to rejuvenation from all the bubbles. Finally settles down with about an inch of marshmallowy foam, with stunning lace coating the glass. The lace actually looks like real lace with alternating patterns of the foamy remnants. Aroma is lightly spicy with sweet maltiness. Taste is wow, creamy sweetness followed by shots of spicing, with a crisp, dry close. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both excellent. A great saison, even better than i was expecting.

ppoitras, Apr 01, 2005

Bottle: Poured a hay blonde looking beer with a huge white foamy head with great retention. Aroma is dominated by the floral yeast with some good strong malt also present. Yeast is very noticeable as you start sipping this beer and malt mix with spices also become more apparent as you drink. Funky aspect is quite present thought not as much as the Veille Saison Dupont. Still very enjoyable and alcohol is not detectable.

Phyl21ca, Mar 30, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

You absolutely know you have poured a quality beer when you find yourself forming the massive downy head into recreations of classic Greek sculpture with your tongue. Lose yourself for awhile in fascinating aromas of lavender, citrus orchards in full bloom, honey drizzled crepes and 12th century stone structures. This is the reason we drink, for playful contrasts of sweet mercurial grain and fields of bitter, bracing grass and lively alcohol with no heat. This is the reason we drink, for heady experience.

What magic has touched this liquid to make it so near perfect? Is this proof that the artisan's hand is more powerful than the chemist's figuring, the devotion to time and place more potent than industrial consistency?

inebrius, Mar 16, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +17%

I just tapped a keg of this rarity about two hours ago, and something struck me right off, a thing happened that is most uncommon: a beer took my breath away.

Looks majestic poured into a St. Bernardus goblet, lush creamy head, hazy pale orange appearance, ...angelic.

Aroma, captivating, airy, light citrus, minor sour tones, vibrant fruit, apricot, peach, lemon, gets bolder by the minute, unfolds tangy-er fruit notes, ...uplifting.
But it's in the taste where I was taken back, and I still don't know if I have language for it, but let us make a valiant effort, anyway.

Fruit floods the mouth, but the body is exceptionally light, almost ethereal...it paints a coating of delicious around the mouth that pulls away like a phantom, the echo of this gorgeous fruit flavor, plump with yeast, lingers, resonates, titillates, entices...another sip is in the offing, but it becomes a gulp, and the swallow is urgent, but the effect is the opposite, a magnificent restfulness overcomes me, a mellow rapture,... it stirs the mind and soul, and quenches thirst along the way.

Each new sip delivers a similar shock, a brand new spank to the senses, a reacquaintance with this magical feeling.

Body is light, but the flavor is powerful and pure, and the finish is long, fruity, perfectly smooth. I laugh at the 9.5% but feel it creeping in as I drain the glass.
Hey, maybe it's just the mood I'm in, but this glass of beer has an absolutely elevating effect. The strength eventually enters into the flavor like a wily snake through a grassy field....lightly spicy, too, to match the fruit...call me a sucker if you must, but I feel my soul has been cracked open, freed and sent aloft, metamorphosized, like hearing new beautiful music for the first time, have a soft spot touched and felt that shiver...

Amazing beer. Not good, not great, amazing! Utterly lovely.
A great gift from Dupont. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

feloniousmonk, Mar 01, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: Dusty, almost opaque blonde, with a decent thick white head and lots of flaky sediment.

Smell: Just a good balance of sweet and funk, lemon-lime, candi sugar, and a little resinous.

Taste: Good acidity and lively carbonation, yeasty and bready with some undisclosed spicy cereal taste. Very satisfying.

Goldorak, Feb 26, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Took in the views during my constitutional with this one on 2/20/2005. 10.5-oz. goblet at Redbones.

Somewhat loose, Claritin head with some big bubbles on edges that stick and jab with each other. Hazy, yellow hue that looses you in its swirling. Kind of balky hop presence on nose with a candied lemon skin gargle. Very pleasant sweet spring grass on mouth with just the smallest hint of tart yeast that just echoes, and reminds me of childhood summer days and promises of future adventures. Husky wheat permeates the mouthfeel, but not overtly. Balanced; very good.

Truh, Feb 23, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

This was on tap to day at Red Bones. The color was hazy gold with a thin white head. Aroma has candy notes along with a combination of citrus and pear. A white sheet of lace was prevalent down the side of the glass. The taste has a nice tartness. More of the pear and citrus. A lot more candy sweetness. This to me was a cross between a Saison, and a Belgian Trippel. It had good characters of both. A mild alcohol warming and hop bite. Slick mouth feel. Very drinkable.

carln26, Feb 20, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

I was surprised to find this on tap at Pix last night. I was further that the glass that was brought to me when I ordered was massive and full. There must have been a full 20 oz worth of Belgian goodness. But the waitress apologized for serving in the wrong glass, which was really ok with me. The beer looked quite attractive in the Duvel chalice. Murky golden with a tufted halo of brownish curling foam.

The aroma was immediately fruity. Apple cider left in the bottom of the press to long hidden in one of the horse stalls. Funky in all the right ways.

The taste was adequately malty but was really highlighted by all the various natural orchard flavors. Yeast gave it a bready base and rather bright apple sweetness. The body was mixed between sweet fullness and a somewhat thick and chunky musty malt.

All in all it was quite terrific, but the 20 oz may have been a tad too much as I couldn't bring myself to finish it. It went well with the rosemary chocolate we had as well.

freed, Feb 19, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured for me at the back bar of Monk's.

A powdery yellow liquid greets me, with a very tiny coating of bubbles, which soon fades to a transparent film. Pretty.

Smell is rock candy (candi/invert sugar, I'm sure), dried papaya, orange peel, candied clementines, and a mist of saison yeast.

Taste explodes in the mouth with deeply candied and preserved fruits -- the aformentioned orange and papaya, gritty brown pears, rotting bananas, and glorious, glorious golden malt. Just unbelieveably delicious constantly evolving as the flavors, many as they are, develop and blossom on the palate. As it gets warm, these sensations only increase.

Mouthfeel is wonderful, pillow soft, keeping the dense liquid from ever becoming too cloying. There is a delightful breeziness here.

Drinkability is very good, although as I near the end of the glass, I consider that one, and maybe two, would be an appropriate sample.

All in all, a fantastic brew fresh (and I imagine a little age on a few bottles would be delightful as well). -- a saison on steroids, an imperial saison, whatever you want to catagorize it as, I call it only one thing: Delicious.

A world-class brew.

ithacabaron, Feb 17, 2005
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled from a 750, though the lable was different than the one pictured above. A hazy golden amber colored brew topped by a dollop of magnificent pure white head that laces beautifully. Intriguing aromas of fresh cut grass, musty hay and barnyard, lemon/lime, spicy yeast and a touch of fruity hops. Superb and complex flavors of contrasting sweet and sour. Lots of green grass, lemon, a variety of spice including coriander, pepper, ginger, orange peel, and clove. Fruitry notes of tart apple, pear, and faint banana pull me in further. Deep and complex. Refreshing and satisfying. I wish I had a bottle to myself. Thanks to Bruno for sharing this rare treat!

AlexJ, Jan 17, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

2004 cork date, Sampled January 2005
As I pour this beer into my glass I get an aroma that is enticingly sharp, grassy and herbal all together. The beer is a lightly hazy straw gold color, it is topped by a frothy, rocky off pale white head. Ooh, the aroma is quite nice it has aromatic notes of bergamot, fresh cut hay, wild flowers, lemon zest, vanilla, and perhaps a soft woodiness. The aroma is quite smooth and almost mellow in character, though it is quite complex and intriguing.

This beer starts out smooth but then starts to pick up a sharpness in the middle, but then finishes with a lingering malty smoothness. This beer is quite tasty, it does not have the complexity of the Saison Dupont, but it is still quite tasty and much more mellow and smooth tasting. The flavors that meld together in this beer are quite nice, I get notes of lemon, pepper, ginger, a tannic woodiness, and some sharp herbal notes. This beer has a really nice flowery, almost nectar like, quality to it that is just so smooth and satisfying. It really hides its alcohol quite well. This beer is quite tasty and is really growing on me more and more as I drink it.

In the end this is just a wonderful mix of flavors, textures and aromas. This beer is quite good, and is perhaps my second favorite (after the Saison) from this incredible brewery.

Gueuzedude, Jan 14, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This holiday Belgian pours a light golden color with a nice thick, fluffy white head that holds for quite some time. Good amount of bubbles rising to the top. Smell is a bit strong on the yeast side with noticeable amount whole hop flowers in there. Taste is really complex and nicely balanced. There's a slightly sweet honey flavor in here and a nice little peppery kick. The spice is an additive and doesn't overtake the beer at all. The base is definitely the floral hops which really hold the whole beer together yet they're not overdone either. Nice little fruit yeast flavor in there and the finish gets slightly bitter and lingers. My only real fault with this beer is that I notice a salty flavor that hits towards the finish and the more I drink the more noticeable it gets. Other than that this was a really good holiday saison.

granger10, Jan 01, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

on tap @ the waterfront ale house in NYC, as the bartender said, "its from Dupont, it smells like flowers and its strong" Poured into a chimay chalice, 1/2 inch puffy head, orangy amber, cloudy, nose of flower, fruits , spice and yeast. Moderate, fine lacing. This is the real Belgian deal, light delicate, flavorful and wait its also 9.5%! Notes of fresh fruits, ginger, juniper, peppery spice, bubble gum, yeasty phenolics. Yum yum-- seek and enjoy!

Billolick, Dec 31, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

12/21/04- On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance- Beautiful cloudy apricot colored pour, 1 inch think solid head and one of the best lacings I have seen.

Smell- Mainly spices and yeast. Maybe a bit of fruit in the background. A bit peppery.

Taste- Tons of random spices everywhere. I think it's coriander that I mainly taste. The pepper is prominent as well. Tastes a bit medicinal, but in a good way, if that makes sense.

Mouthfeel- Lightly carbonated. Maybe a tad dry going down.

Drinkability- Couldn't believe the ABV on this when I got home. Can barely detect the alcohol in this one. Glad I tried this one. Will look for it in the bottle.

GClarkage, Dec 22, 2004
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Monk's. The reason I came to Monk's in fact.

This beer is served in a tulip and has a murky golden body and a whisp of a head of white which settles to a thin lacing on the surface. The tulip conjures up a plethora of smells to create a powerful nose. I first sense acidic fruit, still sweet but quite sharp. Orange, lemon, cherry. Next I detect damp funk. Not as acrid as a horseblanket (a misused term by many. Go visit a stable, and then make the comparison) but still just brooding with wild yeast, like decomposing vegetetation. Finally, a bit of sweet esters, the fruit surges again, then an outright bubblegum sweetness, then a spiciness, then all these things over and over. This is a wonderfully alive in its flavors. They undulate like waves, and conclude in a wonderful balance. The huge alcohol in this is hidden like buried treasure. Drinkability and Mouthfeel are superb, as they complement one another. This beer is a treat, and on-tap it's simply an experience all its own.

99bottles, Dec 20, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer poured a light gold color and formed a nice bubbly white head that coated the glass with lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation was present. An aroma of malt, hops, coriander, spices and straw. The flavor was of malt, hops, spices with a heavy complex background hard to place under just one umbrella. Combining elements of several and definately impacting the finish, which seems heavier than the beer really is. The finish has some tartness but with this undercurrent present.

Wildman, Dec 18, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As I sat at the bar at Lucky Baldwins and scanned the tap rows, I noticed a Saison Dupont tap. Okay, good, I thought. Then I saw another Dupont handle further down and I couldn't read it. I asked David, the owner, what it was and he said it was their Avec Les Bons Voeux, a really nice pale Belgian ale. Sign me up for one, I said.
Avec Les Bons Voeux was placed in front of me in a Grottenbier chalice, all clear yellow in color, launching a solid stream of carbonation up from the bottom of the chalice to a creamy bright white head. The head left streaks and clumps of lace and ballooned up with each swirl of the glass. Simply gorgeous.
The aromas of grainy malts, slight saison-style funk, and a boatload of spices reached my nose immediately. Pepper and citrus juices, light coriander bursts, and some other spicy hops aromas just kept tweaking my nostrils along with a mild amount of alcohol fumes, imploring me to get on with the drinking.
Wow, that's spicy! Hoppy, too. The malt profile really took a back seat to the peppery, herbal spiciness. Big lemon zest and orange peel acidity that scrouged the tongue. Herbal notes and peppery bite make for a pleasing finish. It left a soft warming sensation in the throat and stomach thanks to the potent, but well disguised, ABV. More bitter than most strong Belgian pale ales I've sampled; but that's not in any way a bad thing here. Sharp, prickly feel that's also light and creamy once the acidity settles down.
This brew is going to be on my mind for a while, just like it's saison cousin. Avec Les Bons Voeux has a magnificant aroma and taste combined with a majestic appearance. Another great beer from Brasserie Dupont.

Boilermaker88, Dec 17, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

2004 Release

New 2004 release, yet it still has the old style brown text and yellow label that has the ‘III’ above the title. Hazy golden body, just as I remember it. Decent off-white head, luxurious appearance. Gorgeous farmyard funky nose, fresh and spritzy yet with a pungent pull of the nasal hairs and a kick in the furry love plums. Tart and spicy, tangy lingering peppery yeast and funky Saison tastes, small but fiercely tasty ‘orange’ Satsuma’s, nuts, raw honey, light acidic lemons, smidgeons of black pepper, yeasty esters and alcohols with a doughy bread feel, it goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on….. A Classic Saison, Classic Dupont. Superb. A Special Saison Treat.

The 2004 is great right now, fresh & vibrant, but I suspect it will improve with some age, which is a good job, because I picked up a few bottles of this one. Don’t pass this one by or skimp by just getting one, you’ll regret it if you do! Excellent.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

2001 Release

A large 75cl Bottle shared with one of my best friends in the dark candlelit cellars of the Porte Noire in Brussels. Labeled ‘Dupont III, Avec les Bon Voeux de la Brasserie’, it came highly recommended by the knowledgeable waiter. He explained that it was from a small independent brewer renowned for producing traditional beers, and that this was their winter seasonal. He made a bloody great choice.

Appearance: Although it was dark in the Porte Noire, when held to the candle light it exhibited a light golden color, with some tangerine flashes as the candle flickered. High carbonation aided the streamers which continued for some time. Had a lovely, uneven, cotton wool fluffy white head that stayed throughout.

Smell: SPICY HOPS. Hmmmm. It was about 3 minutes before my friend, clearly agitated, asked me if I was actually going to drink this beer. Superb nose that has a crispy spicy hoppiness mixed with a slightly musty odor that lingers. Smells simply gorgeous, maybe just one more smell before I drink it….

Taste: Hopheads will love this, though the musty dimensions of this beer may not be for all. The waiter explained that this aspect of the beer came from the yeast that is used. He explained that the Dupont yeast is complex and contains many strains (more than 5). “Farmyard” was how I explained it to him – he agreed, “well Dupont is a Farm Yard Brewery” he retorted. This waiter clearly knew his Shit big style.

Mouthfeel: Wholesome, smooth and solid, high carbonation and 9.5% ABV clearly helps this beer establish a presence, though the alcohol is not dominant as one would expect for this high strength beer. But it is the urban upstart Spicy Hops that really kick your ass right at the end. A powerful smack of spicy hops and the musty dimension linger well into the night. The next few beers were tainted by this strong aftertaste!!!

Drinkability: For me – this is a 4.5, and so very nearly a 5. Nuff Said.

Overall: A very traditional, high quality offering from Dupont.

I can still taste this beer when I think about it. Quite Excellent.
And Yes, we did leave the Waiter a big tip that night.

TheLongBeachBum, Dec 16, 2004

Hazy golden color with a full white head, active carbonation, and good lace. Noticeable white wine (grape) aroma and flavor; nice Belgian yeasty horse-ish character but leans a bit tart maybe... Light bodied and airy with a soft alcohol finish.

The standard Saison from Dupont seems better but want to try side by side ... nothing special from a holiday perspective.

"2002" on cork (?)

Per Label: "III" at top.

Les Bons Voeux = Best Wishes.

($7.99 / 25.4 oz / 750ml corked and caged champagne style bottle)

RBorsato, Nov 29, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

For what it's worth there is a Roman numeral "III" at the top of the front label. Batch #? The cork bore the numerals "2.0.0.2."
This stormy yellow liquid offers remarkably savory aromas of buttered sourdough in addition to ample amounts of vanilla, dried bananas, nutmeg and whole cream.
On the palate its broad, rich texture renders impressions of tangy nectarine fruit, blended, raw nuts, honey, sage, and stones. Intense mineral extracts define and shape the long finish, leaving clean, austere bitterness below and pungent, tropical, floral notes on top - all joined by dry, herbal resins.
Sweet enough that the fruit flies like it too. A fruity, stone-flavored ale.

putnam, Jul 31, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +11%

750ml 2002 Vintage-
Poured a light gold with heavy carbonation and a huge, whipped egg-white head. Took some time to enjoy watching the head slowly rise higher and higher as the bubbles danced furiously underneath. Garden nose jazzed up with some spices and just a hint of hops. Not sour as I expected, instead a mellow, rich yeasty flavour especially present in the finish. Mouthfeel was moderately smooth with some definite warming. Very satisfying and relaxing. Would pair well with a light reading and log fire.

Varkias41, Apr 28, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Matta is such a stellar individual Clear liquid gold wearing a foamy, frothy, rocky gigantic-sized white head. Very carbonated body. Gotta love such a complex aroma that never hinted at being not as great as expected by me (who still recently fell under the charm of their Dupont Forêt). Ultra farmy, dry and yeasty, very yeasty obviously like all other Dupont. Lovely barny and spicy hints. How can you not love a fine Saison. Bone-dry (made me think of chalk at times) with awesome white wine aspects. Deep spice profile includes coriander, basil, pepper, thyme, mint, sage and just various other herbs. The first sip proposes a malty attack with lots of dry hay, some apple and so much yeast. Finish is dry with a grassy hop bitterness, but remains restrained and balanced. Aftertaste comes back to haunt me with suggestions of dust and spices and that scores big points with me. So herbal, so intense and no alcohol to speak of although there's a charming warming effect. Body is medium, quite carbonated, mouth-cleaning for sure and lightly tart at times. Marvellous Marvel. I'm truly impressed and in great thirst of Saison for the rest of my days. Help me!

Rastacouere, Apr 27, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Yes, a replacement for champagne. Even non-beer drinkers will like. Like a good French white wine, nicely carbonated, with lemon and zest and vanilla. Good combination of hops, spices. Nice white head that stays. Crisp aftertaste.Great and unique saison.

Sammy, Mar 28, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

There should be a new beer style. Imperial Sasion.

White big head, amazing retention and lace. Opaque yellow body.
Pineapple, grapefruit and great spicy bitter aroma.
The slighest hint of sweetness before an assault of bitterness. Sweet wheat flavor and complex citrus hops. There must be sugar of some sort in here, but it due to the hops it does not seem sweet nor alcholic, it just seems, light, lovely. This is the ultimate, high powered beer.
Smooth broad bitter and lovely.
Better than any champagne I have ever had.

Naerhu, Feb 13, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

75cl Corked 2003 vintagePoured a cloudy golden orange color with a creamy white head. Aroma slightly sour and fruity. Some lemon, skunk and barnyard funk also present. Really wonderfully complex. Body is medium with a velvety smoothness and a lively carbonation. Flavor is spicy like a Tripel with some nice citrus in there as well. Good retention leaving scattered lacing in my Trappist glass. Overall one of the best in this style that I've had.

BierReise, Feb 03, 2004